Can we buy on Ebay?

I have bought over 300 items from Ebay  and have a 100% rating, granted throughout those 300 items I have been disappointed with one or two items. Buying things from photo’s and a short description, can leave you exposed to the odd dodgy item but read the description and many times you read in them what you want to read, only when you log back in and read it all over again you can often find something you missed.

I have always bought, but I have just entered an item for sale, a set of alloy wheels, and the amount of questions i have been asked has surprised me.I know we send scouts out to watch certain players, and yes a player may look good on the field. But what about his personality his sexual persuasion or even his record, sickness discipline or even a police record, surely for the amount of money paid out you would expect a 4 page dossier, but we have still signed injured players.

Now I read that we have added 8 year old kids to our academy, even Beckham’s boy has come and played a bit and i have to ask myself what’s the point. Young kids who don’t even know what its all about, being propositioned by scouts agents or even parents, lets face it they are kids who still have a lot of growing up to do before you start nurturing, a talent that may never come to anything.

Now when have we ever found a talent in the lower divisions, there are plenty who play, and when we play some of them in the cups we see guys who look as good as some of our multi million players, but no we spend millions on a 17 year old kid who plays in a foreign league who most of us have never heard of.

Now with all of the holding midfielders and central defenders in the lower leagues who are all used to English football surely some of them are good enough to play in the premier, but how often do we even look. If we search the world for 8 year old maybe’s, and hope they grow to six feet 2 or 3 and will be strong enough to play top flight football who are we trying to kid.

A few seasons back when we were struggling we could have bought Cahill or Samba and we never, we buy Squilachy instead  I don’t think the right questions were asked then, do you. I feel we have to buy players who have a bit of a track record, a player who is six feet 2 or 3 already players who have shown they are resistant to playing in rain sleet and snow, players who have a bit of fight in their bellies, and leave the Chamakhs and Eduardos Gervinhos  to other teams.

We have in our fold Wilshere Walcott Ramsey Diaby Gibbs who seem to spend most time injured, fairly good players who have shown when fit are decent talented footballers, but when these players are injured the team seems to struggle, so what do we do.

Maybe like Ebay we should ask more questions, ask them early in the window so when an answer comes back that casts a doubt we can scroll through the others on the list. Research, and lots of questions before we part with our Wonga.

written by Steve Palmer

70 Responses to Can we buy on Ebay?

Steve Thank you. An interesting viewpoint. Like you and millions of others I have bought lots of things from Ebay and often been disappointed.

And as you so rightly say, read the label!

p.s. I am sorry your post has no indents for the paragraphs – wordpress would allow me to adjust them,

2. A good post Steve, and before I go back over it and comment about the main subject, what has sexual pursuasion / orientation got to do with choosing a player?

Thanks for the post Steve – I’ve sorted the paras.

Sent you an email Raddy 🙂

5. A label on a footballer:

* One careful owner
    * Only 50,000 kms
    * Full service history
    * Reciepts for work carried out
    * New MOT
    * £20m non-negotiable
    * No gaurantee

Superb ranting, Steve.
    Always read the label. 🙂

7. 🙂 Chas

Like the ‘lower league experience’

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Great pic Chas still laughing, 🙂
    Might have guessed you would ask that Question NB, of course your right sexual persuasion has nothing to do with it, Things are different to my day, The thought back then if a guy was questionable, it seemed to put guys back to the wall, but today if your not bent then you will never get on the tele.

Probably shouldn’t have said Bent, not politically correct though. In a world of free speech you still cannot say certain things, and for all you guys or gals who are unsure i apologise.

11. wally says:

Wenger has great abilities in buying and developing yourger players offensive talents. He’s a great developmental manager in that regard.

His prowess in developing defenders/defensive players is much more circumspect. He needs to buy the finished product there and even then he’s unsure of himself and his eye for such players.

Thanks Steve

“Now when have we ever found a talent in the lower divisions”

Perry Groves, and he should have a statue 🙂

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Wally, you may well be right mate, but now that the money shackles are off, we should be able to match most of the offers, I always feel that a defender should always have a toughness about them experience is also key and usually shows in confidence, where forwards seem to rely on speed and crafty footwork. Players like Sanchez are a little different from the norm, he strikes me as a player who wants to play every game, and he wants to be involved right through the 90 minutes. Of course players like him often need protecting from themselves, as burn out can set them back for a while.

We have seen how players can play too much, and lose the form they had, Of course the player still works hard but when form disappears they often try too hard and their thought process goes to the wind.

Wenger has seen that Wilshere in the past where he was used a lot, and finally got injured with stress fractures associated by over work, can be detrimental to players form and health so i expect Sanchez to get some forced rest time. New defenders brought in the winter can play hard and long with a nice break in the summer for a nice long rest.

14. stevepalmer1 says:

Thanks Micky, forgot about him, what ever happened to him

Thanks Steve. I think Wally has a point about Wengers eye for a defender but then Kos tends to indicate he can also get it very right.

From what I have seen of him I like the look of Paulista and hope we secure him. If he looks to have any deficiency at present then it appears to be with his technical ability with the ball and bringing it out. He can improve that with us though and we have a history of great defenders who have improved on a limited technical ability (Adams, Campbell).

I prefer someone who is first and foremost a defender in CD, someone who doesn’t mess around and who has a “you aint getting past me” attitude. I feel it is easier to improve a beastly defenders technique than it is to get a technical defender more beastly. That I feel is either inherently in them or not.

Paulista looks very strong and a bit similar in style to Campbell for me. He looks very quick for someone of 6’2″ and a lot of the footage shows him keeping a higher line of defence comfortable in his recovery pace on the turn. The fact that he is adaptable to either FB is also a bonus.

Groves is and was the most over-rated player I have ever seen in an AFC shirt.

17. stevepalmer1 says:

GoonerB, i like your way of thinking, as it is also my way of thinking as well. We often seem to sod about a bit at the back with short quick passes especially when all i want is a big kick up the park.

I like a decisive defender who clears his lines, but also a guy who can pass to one of his own. Don’t want much do i

Sorry to go off the track Steve of your fine post Steve but I missed Raddy’s post yesterday, so thanks for that Raddy. I have not had time to check what others wrote so have no idea on the feelings about Walcott but I would say he hasn’t justified his wages to date but still has a lot of time and could still become instrumental over 2-3 seasons in winning silverware. He looks a match winner that just needs a clear run to show it.

I would like to keep him. Having said that there needs to be a bit of reciprocation his part and a recognition that he doesn’t justify any significant pay increase based on his return to date. The club have stood by him without an appropriate return so far so a bit of gratitude when negotiating a new contract would be nice. We don’t want another RVP. If he does start to play hardball then I would back the club in letting him go for as much as we can get.

Raddy, Groves is a good after dinner speaker though. I attended a night with him and Sansom and Groves was very entertaining with great humour.

GB. I would like to have heard their banter.

Of course AW can spot a decent defender – he has shown that time after time. Just this summer he signed Debuchy and Chambers both of whom are fine defenders.

And what of Campbell, Toure, BFG, Kos, Sagna, Lauren, Vermaelen, etc etc

Didn’t we buy Dicko and Bouldy when Stoke were in a lower division.

Steve Bould seems to be the player you are describing in your post, Steve. 🙂

22. stevepalmer1 says:

Point proved then Chas 🙂

Raddy
    “Groves is and was the most over-rated player I have ever seen in an AFC shirt”

Err, rated by who? 🙂

Finally, I may have stumbled on an idea for a post. Most overrated. Cruel, but fun.

I think Perry does Arsenal Tours

Apparently you get to choose him or Charlie, and while CG gets many more times the applicants, Perry is miles better. Just what a local scaffolder told me.

Anyone here reckon Chas was a big fan of Adrian Chiles, and is going to be a little down for a day or two?

A brief summary of twatter Arsenal this morning……

Apparently there are some quotes going round where Wenger said he listened to the players and that’s partly why Arsenal played as they did against City.

Reaction from the stockings half on brigade……
    8.5 mill a year to be told what to do by the players

Reaction from the stockings half off brigade…….
    And people said Wenger is a dictator who never listens to anyone

Micky
    You’ve got me sussed.
    I can now unglue my mute button with Chiles and Townsend gone.

Adrian Chiles has been sacked from his 4.6 million a year job with ITV………

Hmmmm, I think I have got it: from now on we should only buy players who are certain not to get injured.

Last one, I promise.

Chas

Love those stockings half on/off lines 🙂

Be sure, there will be someone on a LeGroan site somewhere who will blame Arsene for the 2-0 win away at City 🙂

What is an Adrian Chiles? Is it rhyming slang for haemmorhoids?

As in “the Adrian Chiles are playing up”

35. RC78 says:

In any case – AW has seen that our injury problems are just crazy and he has asked an expert to carry out an audit and make recommendations and to improve our club in regards to keeping players fit…

That said, when we recruit players, for the players that are forming the central spine of the team, we should make sure that these players are robust and can handle the EPL jouts day-in day-out…

Courtois – Terry, Cahill – Matic – Costa

Hart – Kompany, Demichelis – Toure – Aguero
    De Gea – Jones, Rojo – Carrick – Rooney
    Mignolet – Skrtl, Lovren – Gerrard – Sturridge

PiG – Kos, BFG – Ramsey – Giroud

Our spine is more injury prone, especially our two CBs and our key midfielder…This hampers our team dynamics and stability…When our team’s spine is fit over a period of 3 months, we usually fare really well…

Liverpool are struglling without Strurridge but he is coming back and he will carry the team offensively…Man Utd are stabilized since Carrick is back in the fold and Man City miss Toure already…When Matic does not play, Chelsea are not as solid…The thing is their key players seem to be less-injury prone and they play regularly

Ian Wright had been to jail before we signed him. TA served a sentence whilst at Arsenal and David Hillier had a police record when we sold him

(Hillier is now manager of Almondsbury UWE in the Western League – who say that crime doesn’t pay!)

The chav’s luck with injuries can’t last.
    Kompany and Aguerro are broken.
    The dippers and red mancs are invertebrates.

Samir Nasri liked batting for the other side.

Nice one Steve

Good thing that ebay. I recently had a desire to perform a ‘double slit test’ in order to prove I could shoot myself through my living room wall.

The science behind it is, if I am observed or conscious that I am going to hit the wall then I require an ambulance and brick layer.

If however, I am not observed and unaware that I am going to be propelled, then I will pass through the wall with no damage to my hooter or inflated builders bill.

To perform such an experiment I was in urgent need of an Interferometer, a device that could manipulate time and light, and therefore capture an image of me passing through the wall.

Luckily for me, i managed to find an Ebay Trader called Djemal Djemal, who sold electronic gadgets such as TV Sets and transistor radios.

After asking for the Interferometer, Djemal Djemal became a bit confused and said he did not sell flowers. However, after explaining my intentions he said he understood perfectly and offered me a 60 inch digital panasonic televison.

I thought what the f*uck, I could record the event through the TV.

I set the TV on record and sat in my home made catapult. To con myself that I wasnt about to be propelled or been recorded I pictured myself been chased by a sexually excited Steve Archibald, This was so terrifying that I lost myself in the moment, and then bang, I had passed through the wall into the bedroom were I observed my wife making love to the postman.

I was so excited to prove that conciousness had prevailed over matter, that I legged it straight back into the living room, and then to my horror, found that the reocrd function had not worked. Djemal Djemal had stitched me up

I complained, but Djemal Djemal had already taken a new alias, Djemal Smith, and denied he had ever sold me the dodgy TV

So now, after conducting the most important scientific experiment of the century, the world is denied this incredible achievement because of the unscrupulous greed of a conning ebay trader

So no, we should not buy players on ebay

Chas

Just beginning to suspect you may have “issues”

You know, like LB 🙂

42. The Cockie Monster says:

I went on ebay the other day and ordered a load of meat off-cuts for my dog from what I thought was a reputable N5 wholesale butcher !………………I wasn`t expecting the body parts to come wrapped in a #24 Abou Diaby shirt !…..bonus !.

43. The Cockie Monster says:

Abou Diaby is my dogs favourite player !……especially with the crushed Bonio`s !.

Why can’t I find any African Nations stuff on liveonline?

Terry. Brilliant. 😀 😀

Transplant
    You add such clarity to the case against ebay. 🙂

steve – thanks for the post. I am not sure what you are proposing – no foreign unknowns, not lower league, no youngsters….’we’ have to take a gamble from time to time. Ronaldo and TH were unknown foreign youngsters once.

We bought an injured player, that is true, but look at Benitez – he paid millions for one with a broken leg that only played a handful of games for Pool! Now, that must be a record.

I love buying on eBay and the sellers love me. Selling is a different ball game altogether, nothing but hassle. I only wish all buyers were like me 🙂

micky – why would you want to watch African nations when Cambridge are hosting ManU, a thriller 🙂

49. poigmothoin says:

I am obviously the last post da darh, of course arnie could poss my firework with a 3.40 edition, but hey ho I’m in good form and can still stand without help after Guinness by the gallon. Probably a good post Steve, sorry no coherent response, but there you go. 🙂

Cambridge held man u to a draw 🙂 extra fixture, great

Have you been up all night celebrating?

Some footage just in of NB69 at the bar last night.

No wonder there are so many injuries these days.

More NB69…..

Van Gaal doesn’t quite get how the FA Cup works over here does he?

Claiming that Manu are not taking the Cup seriously after a pathetic draw such as last night is not the same as being accused of not taking it seriously before the match.

Chas those boots look terrible!!

Whatever happened to moulds on a dry or frozen pitch and studs the rest of the year.

BobWilson reckoned he still wore studs when pitch was rock hard because it gave him a couple cm height advantage.

LVG this morning …”There are no easy fixtures at this level” 🙂

The flying peacock is so beautiful

What is interesting LB is how VanGaalsreactoon differs from Carrick who blamed no one else just his own teams inability to breakdown and praised Cambridge’s work rate and attitude.

Games like that make the FA Cup and now Cambridge get a fantastic payday going away to Old Trafford for the replay, half the gate receipts (less expenses) will be a very tidy sum.

61. Bonjour les filles 🙂

FA Cup weekend got off to a good start with Utd having to replay their game against Cambridge.

Chas, what is this, pick on NB69 day 🙂
    But I like the idea of a fur covered pit in my living room.

Have to be a big pit

Barking cat 🙂
    I watched some of the manual game and it wasn’t a pretty sight- a bit chaotic and amateurish. Van Persi was on the bench, just came back from an ankle injury

John Hartson was on BBC just now. Gosh, he has put on weight! Nice guy though and well spoken. He cannot see us slipping tomorrow 🙂

65. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Wheels sold, and waiting for collection. This auction business seems a good way to do business, Didn’t get as much as i had hoped but sold non the less.

If players were brought and sold the same way bargains are there for all, What i like about this kind of thing is that its all done above board, you bid to your limit and you can see who wants the item the most.

Of course i still haven’t been paid so am still not sure of the final payment, but no pay no wheels.

Uniteds game was not great, Cambridge it has to be said may get another payday but a win is not on the cards for them in my opinion. United under van G doesn’t look to good but i feel good enough to get through this round.

Hopefully we make our away day to Brighton more conclusive.

We have a hastily written….

New Post