Roadhouse Blues?

Feeling confident? No? Neither am I.

I am always interested in the media narrative for the Arsenal and today’s will undoubtedly be our record against the Big Boys. No need to tell you … it is pants, make that worse than pants, it is double pants.

And yet there are reasons to be positive – nearly all of them wrapped up in a 5’6″ Chilean. He scored a cracker against City at the Emirates in a game which we dominated for 75 minutes. We were the better team that day which augurs well for today. And we have many of the injured returning for selection. Mesut, Theo, Aaron, and Matthieu are all available for selection.

Unknown

Worryingly Gibbs may be missing and with Chambers likely to play RB Pellegrini is sure to attack down the flanks. Monreal had a nightmare against Navas in the 6-3 at The Etihad and Chambers for all his quality is no speedster, expect much of the same today. Perhaps Mr Wenger will surprise us and play Bellerin who is improving game by game.

We have seen Arsenal go away to big clubs and allow them to dominate possession, perhaps this is as a result of going to MC and Chelsea with very attacking tactics and getting hammered. Does pragmatism work? I prefer us to play to our strengths and not the opposition but AW may well play with two defensive shields in from to the back five i.e. both Flamini and Coquelin …. I hope I am wrong.

We have signed a new Pole! Happy Days! A white Vieira? Let’s hope so. As to the other Pole – it appears he is still on the naughty step. Ospina has done enough to keep his place and expect him to get a good run of games should he maintain his performance level.

Given Coquelin’s recent work he deserves to keep his place ahead of the more experienced Flamini.

Unknown

To Theo or not? To Ozil or not? To Ramsey or not? What do you think? I would like to see us play exactly the same team that did so well against Stoke. The midfield of Santi playing deeper with Ox and Alexis in front worked very well. With MC sans Yaya (but with the very strong Fernand** ย chaps) we can play through them.

At last we have formidable attacking options on the bench; men who can turn a game in 15 minutes. When was the last time we could say that?

I don’t want to spotlight the attacking power of City. To win today our defence will have to concentrate from kick-off to the final whistle with no lapses and as always we have to defend as a team.

The media are setting this game up as Aguero vs Alexis. In my opinion it is a question of which team defends best. And of course, how well Mike Dean performs, we all know the man is an anti-Arsenal imbecile but perhaps ย – just for once – he will have a good game. How exciting.

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

238 Responses to Roadhouse Blues?

Slap up comment, Randy, which accompanies my slap up brunch! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think a sense of proportion needs to accompany the result of today\s game — if we win we will go onto to win the League — obviously — and if we lose, well no big deal, we will go on to be third!. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Raddy

Looking at the results and with City playing Chelsea next week this is a huge game for both clubs.
    We are constantly reminded of our terrible record against the top sides and in truth it will be a big ask for us to get 3 points.

It will be interesting to see who plays in goal for both sides.

AW doesn’t do defending or park the bus so lets all pray ๐Ÿ™‚

Great stuff Raddy. Yes we should start with Coquelin, and probably alongside Flamini – just avoid the red cards ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Thanks for the musical title … what a great rock vocal from Jim Morrison …..

Great PM, thank you Raddy! I have noticed you changed your style lately, strictly football on match days, not even a sausage in sight ๐Ÿ™‚

Or is it because there is nothing of interest in Manchester including cuisine?

you are right about exciting game ahead. Normally I am scared senseless before big games, but today I am actually looking forward to seeing some excellent football, poor refereeing and us leaving the stadium with heads held high, yeah man, we can do it!!

Eddie. There is a Manchester Pie but it is so dull I wouldn’t waste your time with it.

Then there are events which happened ion Jan 18th e.g. in 1788 eleven ships laden with prisoners from GB landed outside what is Sydney Australia in order to establish the first penal colony. Their descendants created a wonderful country.

Or Cpt. James Cook landed in Hawaii and named the local islands the Sandwich Islands after Lord Sandwich who created the sandwich.

There is much more but I was feeling lazy ๐Ÿ˜€

6. Nice pre match Raddish

I really think we will do better up there today than we did last season. If we can keep Aguero (still not match sharp) and Silva under control and Sanchez does the business, then we could come away with heads held high and possibly a result.

Eddie, just because I’ve commented just under yo doesn’t mean I am stalking you ๐Ÿ™‚

7. After a day of hunting Lord Sandwich returned to his manor and discovered lunch had not been prepared by his underpaid servants. He went to the kitchen and demanded someone put a slice of ham between two slices of bread………. hence we now have the Sandwich ha ha

8. Just seen that GunnersoreArse has gone up on NewsNow… the hits are coming in fast and furious now, let’s hope some opposing fans are able to leave a comment. See what you’ve started Eddie ๐Ÿ™‚

nb – I know that commenting after me is not stalking, but loitering without intent outside my house at 3am probably is!

Raddy – re the new Polak “Arsene Wenger says teenage Polish defensive midfielder goes straight into first-team contention after signing for ยฃ2m on Friday”. 6’2″ holding midfielder, only 17 though

11. Eddie, if I was loitering it would be with intent ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

I doubt any of us are going in confident to today’s game but let’s hope the team are. Weirdly I think we have a better chance of beating City if we match them in attacking intent.

I’m hoping we play Theo today.

Its midfield, midfield, midfield today ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes we can match them in attack, yes we need to concentrate on defence – but for those two areas to matter they have to be connected by a cohesive and hard working midfield.

14. poigmothoin says:

Apprehensive BR, but if it is a fair result with no controversial
    refereeing decisions (I know) then that will do me. A win would be a bonus.

So …..GIE thinks it is all about the attack. Rasp, the midfield and I think it is about the defence ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyone want to discuss Ospina vs Hart?

16. Raddy

It’s gonna be about teamwork.

๐Ÿ˜† Raddy, do we know for certain that Ospina is getting the nod over SZ?

The word on the net is that SZ will be back. This is the problem with punitive benching (not that I’m saying AW has indulged in said practice) if Ospina has done nothing wrong but not really been tested, is it right to drop him back to the bench?

18. Very slow day on the blogs, let’s hope it livens up a bit when the game gets started….

19. eldergooner says:

Nice write up Raddy but,like Eddie, I too missed the history lesson – though you did later provide some snippets !

I take comfort from the way we hammered them in the Community Shield, and if we turn up with the same desire and intent – allowing for a probably dodgy ref – then it’s 3 points in the bag.It needs to be as I’m watching it in a bar which is predominantly “shitty blue” and the stick will be heavy and well laid on if they win it.

Remember at the beginning of the season when we looked at the squad with its shiny new signings and thought — wow!

That excitement has dimmed by the fact that it has taken and still is taking a lot longer for that squad to gel to the potential that we all expected.

Well, it changes today.

We are capable of fielding a team every bit as good if not better than City and they are under far more pressure than we are.

Big day, big game, big result.

COYRRG

21. Well done LB, got your super positive hat on today ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Raddy for the pre-match. I’m always scared when we play a big team, I used to be scared when we were the big team, it’s only adrenalin isn’t it ๐Ÿ˜‰

We can do this, obviously we can but will we. I was at the Ems when we played them earlier in the season ……. we definitely could have won that one, we were minutes away from beating them 2-1. Nothing to be nervous about ……. going for a very boozy lunch up the road now and will be back in time to have a good ooh aaah at Thierry who I assume is in the studio going by comments on twitter.

Catch you all behind the couch later.

LB. That is interesting about pressure. IMO they are under little pressure – Champions and in the next round of the CL plus should they come second to Chelsea that is no disgrace.

Whereas we are in a dogfight for 3rd or 4th between 5 clubs. Should the unthinkable happen and we lose today and away at Spurs “there may be trouble ahead”.

Ooooops – negative thinking. Shape Up Raddy ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

23. The Cockie Monster says:

Basically he thinks what most former players and every man and his dog thinks, that we need a DM beast !. Top be honest imo, it is probably easier to get a super quality player in any position other than DM Beast !. That’s the problem Wenger has, they are as elusive as a colour photo of Totnumb winning the league !.

Fantastic Big R

Interesting comments too. Some say the attack, some mid, some defence. Then we have the ref.

I say the Manager, and I’m not being difficult.

I’m also with LB that we now have Mesut Sanchez and Theo. That should terrorise any defence.

Can’t wait.

Eddie

Take the ยฃ160. Then spend ยฃ80 on the bet yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Nice pre-match BR, I expect a cracker of a game, all out attack frrom both teams, let the defences get on with their own thing, it’ll be goals, goals, goals galore.

Eddie, BR is too nice to mention the Mancunian food, I believe they eat their own children!

Many people have said that Stoke didn’t turn up last week, I totally disagree with this. The previous week when we played Hull, well yes they certainly didn’t turn up. The difference is that Arsenal played so well they made Stoke look as though they didn’t turn up.

I don’t really mind who plays out of Coquelin or Flamini, I don’t think there is a lot between them, I don’t see any need for both. Ramsey would be my inclusion probably over Rosicky although once again I don’t think there is a lot between them.

Cazorla is on fire and has to play, we all know about Sanchez but the big news last week was Ozil: he looked different, none of that laissez-faire attitude, he was on it the second he took to the field.

Not sure I expect him to start but if he did ahead of Ramsey and Rosicky I am sure that I would be too upset that one of the best players in Europe take to the field wearing the glorious red and white.

28. Time to pay the first of my twice-yearly visits to your fine site. Looking forward to this game as ever – what’s not to love, the two purest footballing sides in the Prem looking to play flowing stuff and carve out chances. Though City are in a decent run of form, I still have trepidation. Hope Pellers doesn’t do anything daft like rotating his full-backs – Zabs/Jesus is a very potent attacking threat down the right and on the other side Kolarov is as out of form as anyone can be, whereas Clichy has come right back into it. If Kun Aguero is fully fit I think we’ll win, narrowly.
    For those of a musical persuasion, no more new guitars to report. Gone back to playing a bit of mandolin (just discovered Sam Bush). Got the 1952 Martin Model A out of the attic and restrung it, sounds sweet but doesn’t have the power of one of those curly-wurly Gibson ones. Feel a purchase coming on. Anyone got a good way of pacifying the other half?
    Here’s to a great game.

29. Loitering in a tent eh! NB, I always thought there was something about you that was just a little bit camp. ๐Ÿ˜€

Welcome BV. Recently bought a cedar-top Takamine. Almost plays itself!

Do what my good lady does.” 1), It was 70% off in the sale 2). It is ages old , you just haven’t noticed. 3). It spoke to me and I knew you would want me to buy it. 4). The other ones I have are completely different and so old fashioned. 5). If you want me to be happy ……”

31. arnie says:

Lovely stuff, Raddy. ๐Ÿ™‚ My position will be behind the sofa, firmly, but I expect a good game. The key position for me is the midfield.

Flamster-Le Coq combination at DM does fine for me. We play with a fulcrim at the base, and double strength nails on teh fulcrum cannot really hurt.

Will I find a good stream is the question.

Welcome Blue Valentine, such a great pleasure. Your absence ibn this space was felt last time round. ๐Ÿ™‚

32. arnie says:

off topic, but I received the following email. maybe some of you have as well. it says embargo until tomorrow, but I dont see the point of this embargo, so here goes. ๐Ÿ™‚

ANOTHER STEP FOR A NEW FIFA
    Brussels Coalition meets on Wednesday

The campaign to reform FIFA takes another important step on Wednesday when a coalition of stakeholders led by European and British parliamentarians, Ivo Belet (Belgium EMP), Emma McClarkin (England EMP) and Damian Collins MP, meets in Brussels.

Spokesman Damian Collins reiterated that the purpose of the Brussels Coalition is to discuss the mechanisms for how change can happen.

“Change doesn’t happen overnight, and we are in this for as long as it takes,” he said.

Speakers include the man who led the technical inspections of the nine bidding nations, Chilean Harold Mayne-Nicholls, on the process of awarding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts; as well as one of the declared candidates for the 2015 FIFA Presidential election, Jerome Champagne.

Two people who were part of losing Bid teams will also talk about FIFA’s failure to address the allegations of corruption fully. Lord David Triesman was head of the England Bid and English FA until May 2010 and Bonita Mersiades was a senior executive of the Australian Bid until January 2010.

Swiss-based Australian businessman, Jaimie Fuller who is Chairman of SKINS, will bring a commercial perspective to proceedings on the importance of mobilising sponsors, fans and consumers to the campaign.

Prior to an open question and answer session, three senior European officials will talk about the role and impact of European institutions in sports governance. The officials include Marc Tarabella MEP of Belgium, co-President of the Sports Intergroup of the European Parliament; Szabolcs Horvath of Hungary, Cabinet of the European Commissioner for Sport; and George Paterson from the Sports Unit of the Director-General for Education and Culture of the European Commission.

Collins will talk about why there is no alternative to fundamental reform of FIFA, regardless of the outcome of the Presidential election, and present a preliminary Charter as the basis for reform.

He reiterated earlier comments that the Brussels meeting is ‘not about shifting deck chairs on the Executive Committee of FIFA.’

“Our agenda is for real change in a new style of organisation and with a new style of governance consistent with FIFA’s privileged position as custodians of the biggest sport in the world,” Collins said.

“Last year, the world celebrated the 25th anniversary of something many people said would ‘never’ happen – the fall of the Berlin Wall. 16 years ago, people said the Olympic movement could never get past its corruption scandals. Two years ago, people said that world cycling could not be cleaned-up.

“History shows that change can and does happen, even in seemingly impenetrable circumstances.

“Wednesday’s meeting is the first step in helping to see football governed by people who make decisions and take action in a transparent manner and who are held accountable in the best interests of the sport and civil society.”

Collins said that two other declared candidates, Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein and David Ginola, have also been invited to attend and speak.

He urged all fans and players of the game to support the campaign for a new FIFA now and to show support by signing the petition at http://www.newfifanow.org

ENDS

Further information: Damian Collins +44 207 219 7072; or Kate McQuestin, +44 7768 663 513

Note to media
    โ€ข The program for the Brussels meeting can be viewed at the New FIFA Now website, http://www.newfifanow.org.
    โ€ข Media are invited to attend the Brussels meeting, which will include a media conference after the event as well as an opportunity for one-on-one interviews with attendees. As it is being held at the European Parliament, all individuals must be accredited. To register your attendance or interest, please contact Kate McQuestin or email media@newfifanow.org.

Lets hope the meeting is the start of a positive change in FIFA it riles me that our World body is so corrupt.

Off topic, I/m watching West Ham vs Hull and both Song and Jenkinson have been outstanding especially Song – he’s exactly what we are missing.

13 Ospina

25 Fernandinho
    06 Fernando
    15 Jesรบs Navas
    21 Silva
    07 Milner
    16 Agรผero

Your typical high quality post Raddy – Thank you for taking the time to produce such fine reading.

I’m looking forward to the game as it will be a game of high quality football played and managed by two teams who seldom, if ever, resort to thuggery.

Leaving out the GK, that’s about the strongest team we could field. Man for man there’s nothing between the sides.

Good line up – here are our subs.

Substitutes: Szczesny, Gibbs, Chambers, Flamini, Rosicky, Ozil, Walcott

What an outstanding bench!

wow! The African Cup starts today and guess what?? We have not even 1 African player in the squad, what a relief….. I hope Chelsea and City have a few, off to check

yep, Chelsea have 3, City 2. Good.

Great bench.

The use of subs could be critical.

Here’s to a great game. Enjoy all. Must plug laptop in now.

41. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all Nice one Raddy,
    Good test for us today, two good teams who play attractive football, not too many players missing from both teams so should be all about the football created on the day.

Arsenal away from home so City with the edge. Depending on what team turns up, I give City the edge, but would settle with a draw. COYRRG’s

Nothing changes with age, I’m as excited today with the anticipation of the game as I was around 70 years ago.
    It never fails to amaze me just how much loyal support enhances ones life.

Lovely post raddy. I still think the slightly quicker and great at bringing the ball out from deep rosicky should be partnering le coq rather than the slightly slower but has a great engine rambo who is just back from injury. Hope to be proved wrong and maybe rambo, with the greater goal threat, will score a couple of his crackers and lead us to the 3 points.

I think blue valentine should visit us more often.

44. arnie says:

Nervy COYGs. ๐Ÿ™‚

What f***ing ref hands out a yellow card in the first 5 mins ๐Ÿ˜ฆ he’s such a twat ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

CHAS!!!!!!!! do you REALLY want to get rid off penalties???

47. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ๐Ÿ™‚

48. Was that a penalty ๐Ÿ™‚

Brilliant. We now have a better chance of securing the draw.

50. arnie says:

or even sneak a win! ๐Ÿ˜›

51. I haven’t seen it yet but I know there was one ๐Ÿ™‚

Arsene is famous for saying that it does not matter how the opposition plays, it is how Arsenal plays that matters.

However this game pans out it seems that the team are determined to keep their shape and not go on gung-ho attack.

Sorry, Micky, I like this personally. ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep concentrating guys.

Stop it with all that positiveness arnie. It is far better to operate from a position of pessimism.

The idiot ref with the card can undo us, even if Citeh can’t.

Dean is so poor!

Dean is determined to send one of ours off before the game is over.

Keep it at 1 nil into half time boys

Give him one of your wormers, GB, that should reduce the positiveness. ๐Ÿ™‚

go on company, keep arguing, there is a good man ๐Ÿ™‚ The ref looks fuming

Kompany you stupid word predictor

60. arnie says:

๐Ÿ™‚

61. Lovely stuff ๐Ÿ™‚

62. arnie says:

so far so good. Bellerin and Le Coq brilliant. ๐Ÿ™‚ entire team good.

Great team performance in that half.

— Being a bit picky, Alexis has not really got to grips with the game — he will in the 2nd half – he is too good not to. ๐Ÿ˜‰

64. Why no yellow for Kompany?

65. wally says:

Taken silva right out of the game haven’t they. And coq is getting in the way of everything. Just a little better better distribution please. They’re pressing hard, don’t be too clever around the circle, keep it simple.

66. wally says:

Just keep playing them on the counter.

67. Held our shape well after the goal…. no gung ho silliness , but losing possession too often in midfield would be my only gripe

Dean only gives yellow cards to Arsenal, Peaches, you know that. ๐Ÿ™‚

I took Chas’ post to mean that penalties should be done away with for other teams — we would still get them of course. Duh!

70. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

71. arnie says:

Dean is a numpty, but even he could not avoid the penalty and a yellow for Kompany later. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lb – of course ๐Ÿ™‚

73. wally says:

ramsey better get his head out of his ass, pronto.

74. We are looking very good…. coyg

This is where we need a leader in the midfield, we’re commiting too many forward and not getting back quickly emough

76. Lovely stuff…. and Coq au Vin seems to have taken on the captaincy role, organising the midfield, shouting at team mates. Good to see

Can anyone explain why we have changed our tactics in this half, and look so much looser in defence. tch

Lack of direction redders.

79. Arsene knows RA

……….. and look we scored ๐Ÿ™‚

80. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha

81. oh my God…. Giroud

Brilliant tactics is what I was saying!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Yeah, I was !!! ๐Ÿ˜€

feck, should have taken the betting slip ๐Ÿ™‚

Never fails, i get critical and we score. Appalling defending by city, we were queuing to head it in ๐Ÿ™‚

85. arnie says:

nice celebration as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our midfield is running out of steam and being over-run.

I am loving this all action game — but I want to win!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Right 7 nails gone. Only 3 left. 5 if i was one of Cornwall’s brethren.

MotM? SANTI, my Santiago

Cloven hoof? ๐Ÿ™‚

A deflection? The idiot linesman did not see the Manc off-side.

Quite right RA. One of those would see me through a few nervy games.

I think Rambo is cream-crackered.

94. wally says:

He’s shot his bolt, get him off, fresh legs please.

Well done, Alexis, and you too Rambo!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Wanted a sub but this is too much of an invitation for a siege on our box especially with no counter attacking pace.

Lampard never gets a yellow card! Is it his perfume or his pong that protects him?

Is it lovely stuff by any chance, Norther? ๐Ÿ˜€

Fantastic performance — let’s hope we stick with these tcatics for the rest of the season.

100. Wish I’d put ยฃ80 on that game at 11/4 ๐Ÿ™‚

101. wally says:

this is good stuff. Really played well except for the early second half.. Didn’t chase, didn’t have to pour men forward to get a goal. More please.

102. Lovely stuff…. well deserved, Santi MOTM, followed closely by Coq au Vin

Fantastic team performance. Santi motm, coquelin and bellerin really good ๐Ÿ™‚

I’d stick with Ospina, he’s calm and professional

No Peaches — it was only two wows to nil. ๐Ÿ™‚

106. Feel good factor or what ๐Ÿ˜€

107. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. where is GoonerB? ๐Ÿ˜›

Yes, Santi MOTM, followed closely by Bellerin and Coq, BFG and Rambo very good as well. in fact, no one had an off day, not even Alexis, it was just that Santi and co upped their game to such a level, Alexis looked a bit shaded, just a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚

108. Ash Cole says:

Exceptional performance by the Goon today wa wa wi wow! To come out of the Etihad with a clean sheet victory of all things I’m stunned and left speechless. I really think Arsenal’s problem is purely psychological when everyone expects Arsenal to lose convincingly you pull off a clinical and professional performance like that! Its like against Bayern a few years ago you could’ve won against all odds all because everyone expected you to lose handsomely and yet you pulled off an amazing performance then and again now! This one all that more impressive imagine with a composed relaxed clinical performance like that all year where you could be. I won’t take this moment away from you, you certainly deserve it and since I been here trolling you when you lose I simply can’t take anything away from that performance.

109. arnie says:

Former Scotland international Pat Nevin
    BBC Radio 5 live at Etihad Stadium

“Santi Cazorla, I’m going to make an analogy about him that probably only people over 80 will understand – Emil Zapatiek. (Czechoslovak long-distance runner best known for winning three gold medals at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki)

“He always looked like he was going to fall over and die, that is the way Santi Cazorla looked for the majority of the second half – exhausted. Yet he kept on going, he got the assist for the second goal, and his power and strength as the game went on was fabulous. That boy will sleep well tonight. He’s so tired he’s being carried off the park on the shoulders of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.”

Raddy was right. Organised defence from front to back won the game

Absolutely stoked (as Micky would say)

I will put in a shout for Kozzer as MoTM – he pulls all the strings in the defence.

Masterful. ๐Ÿ™‚

112. arnie says:

“Arsenal had such a positive attitude – the way they have played speaks volumes about the manager. People were having a real dig at Arsene Wenger before today, and you do understand that as they have been a distance away, but today he got it absolutely right. Every single Arsenal player worked their socks off and it has won them the game. Francis Coquelin, he was shouting as loud as anybody and getting everybody going, his attitude has been superb.

“Sergio Aguero, we talked about him so much before the start of the game but he had an absolutely minimal impact. David Silva, of whom you expect so much, didn’t create a single chance the whole game.”

113. arnie says:

midfield, IMO. Play with 11 MFs. If they are good enough, you would win any day. ๐Ÿ™‚

114. arnie says:

Kompany was pants today. well, he has been for a while now, and has been dragging this Shitty side down.

Looking at the highlights – I have to say Santi deserves MoTM. ๐Ÿ˜€

As i said earlier – it was all down to the midfield ๐Ÿ™‚

117. Only 35% possession for us, 3 shots on target and only 5 fouls but three yellows. City 12 fouls but only got three yellows.

118. TwentyTwelve says:

Brilliant win! And we have a week of rest to enjoy it. ๐Ÿ™‚

119. arnie says:

hmmm. NB. those possession stats look a bit dodgy. the card stats may be correct. just about. ๐Ÿ˜›

That calls for another glass of Talisker and then some food.

The Chavs must be delighted.

Bellerin was an interesting pick ahead of Chambers and proved to be highly effective

121. Only using the BBC site arnie… I thought it was a it strange but normally they get it right

I wonder what kind of player Wenger is going to morph Chambers into because he ain’t getting near that RB position for a long, long time.

123. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Raddy, Islay….. Now I am jealous. ๐Ÿ˜› I will do a Bowmore single cask. But too early now. ๐Ÿ™‚

124. arnie says:

LB. I suspect CB/DM, ultimately

125. Ha ha Souness is gobsmacked about our performance ๐Ÿ™‚

RA

You can watch the highlights, you can watch the whole game or you can watch any fifteen minute segment on YouTube and you will still come to the conclusion that Cazorla was MOTM.

127. Who wants to write us a lovely happy smiley post about the game for tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜†

128. We have some good fixtures coming up , Villa, Everton and Leicester at home, Palace and QPR away… plus Spuds away. Could really kick on now if we continue to play like today ๐Ÿ™‚

Great pre-match, BR.
    Let’s hope the boys can come away with a decent result today.
    Up the Arse.

131. Ash Cole says:

@BigRaddy delighted? we are ecstatic you may have won us the title with that performance but now there’s a genuine concern about the game we have at the em8s not looking forward to that but if extend to 8 pts after the game at the Bridge then we should be scott free!

That was an epic performance best case scenario even you guys expected a tie maybe at best a controversial 2-1 win but no you went in their house and came out with a clean sheet victory of all things its quite shocking. The stats also make for a fascinating read you did it the un-arsenal way with a composed solid defensive performance. With Aguero in the line up too really mind blowing stuff! Congrats though its tainted with a lot of gratefulness for the victory its a thoroughly deserved Congrats for a shockingly solid performance try playing like that in Champs Lge you may surprise us all!

132. wally says:

Who was that friqqin’ wanker of a colour man on the broadcast today?

I usually don’t care but he gets under my skin.

133. “I’m not feeling smug, honest”

chas ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ At least Bacary was more involved than Nasri

Ah Micky,

concede less, play defensively as a unit and the penny has finally dropped Mr.Wenger.

Great performance by everyone.They looked hungry as if they were fighting for their place. Ospina stays in goal IMO.

Le Coq is suddenly a 30 million pound defender.:)

My man Santi again and away from home.

Not a day for ay negatives except maureen will have a huge smile on his face.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

137. Bayonne Jean says:

Chas, Na$ri’s heat map was identical; located in the tunnel.

To Bluevalentine, who made a semi-annual visit to this site: I would be very, very concerned about your side for the rest of the season; showed no spark and had no ideas whatsoever. Better hope that Ivory Coast gets eliminated from Africa Nations early so Yaya and Bony can provide reinforcement.

Our Carling Cup team includes Ozil, Welbeck and Theo ๐Ÿ˜€

139. TwentyTwelve says:

Perhaps Mourinho will frown because Chelsea still have to play Arsenal in April ๐Ÿ˜‰

140. TwentyTwelve says:

Look for this incredible sequence: Cazorla stole the ball and tore through the midfield, eluding six City players.

141. The Cockie Monster says:

Mansour City defenders heat map on how to try and cope with Alexis !.

LB,

I am glad in your 6:24 that you agree with my 6:05 that Santi was MoTM. ๐Ÿ™‚

144. The Cockie Monster says:

Stoke heat map last week !.

146. The Cockie Monster says:

Heat map of John Terry seeing Bacary Sagna`s wife !.

The best thing about today’s result was the confidence we gained. Our lads now KNOW they can beat any team if they work for it. If I was a team facing us I would be scared , very scared indeed
    Amazing, marvellous, genius that Wenger chappie

148. Ash Cole says:

Quite remarkable stuff this from the Daily Mail Game of the Season:

This was a huge result, not just for Arsenal, but for English football. Chelsea have not just gained an extra three points, but seven goals at the top of the table. Add their 5-0 win at Swansea City to Manchester Cityโ€™s 2-0 defeat and this is the biggest weekend of the season so far.

Chelsea face City at home on January 31, their next league game. Win that and they can begin planning the parade. If City do not bounce back speedily from this, or find a way to cover Toureโ€™s stint with Ivory Coast at the African Cup of Nations, the title race could be over sooner than many imagined.

That Jose Mourinho has been aided by Arsenalโ€™s โ€˜specialist in failureโ€™ Arsene Wenger is an irony that should not be lost on him. This was a Wenger team few expect to see, an Arsenal with guts and resilience. So many of the qualities it has been felt Arsenal lack were present in this game.

This was an Arsenal that stuck at it, that grafted, that played City on the counter attack, that soaked it up, that were tenacious, determined, superb without the ball. And yet they had the best chances, too. Arsenal in possession were quick and had purpose. City were ponderous, hesitant.

A first-timer, told that one of these teams was chasing down the league leaders would have instantly plumped for the band in yellow. They may not have seen as much of the ball but, when they did get it, they knew what to do.

If the criticism is that Arsenal cannot play a clever, containing game on the break, here was Wengerโ€™s eloquent response. At times in the first half Arsenalโ€™s possession statistics dropped as low as 21 per cent, yet they look dangerous with the ball, goalkeeper David Ospina did not have a save of consequence to make until the 47th minute, and the midfield worked devilishly hard at making Cityโ€™s forwards look pedestrian.

It was a performance that left the locals noisily frustrated. By half-time they were in a snit with their team, and Mike Dean the referee, news clearly having reached the Etihad of the contentious nature of Arsenalโ€™s lead.

Of course, they couldnโ€™t be as poor in the second half and so it proved. Having not had a shot inside 36 minutes, they applied real pressure after the restart. Ospina โ€“ again included ahead of Wojciech Szczesny but hardly inspiring greater confidence โ€“ tipped round from Aguero, perhaps unnecessarily, and a fierce effort from Jesus Navas was parried moments later; but Arsenal always looked more likely to score, thanks to resolute defending and the uncertainty of a City back line that has now conceded more league goals than Manchester United this season.

The visitors could have been two clear even earlier after a fine move involving Sanchez and Giroud ended with Ramsey spare on the left but shooting over. Soon after a quite brilliant touch by Koscielny denied Aguero again, following a cross from Navas, but this was Arsenal at their finest this season. Not always beautiful, but intelligent and efficient, with a strength that had been presumed beyond them.

No-one was jeering Wenger as he made his way back to London this time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2915617/Manchester-City-0-2-Arsenal-Santi-Cazorla-s-penalty-Olivier-Giroud-s-header-earn-Gunners-rare-victory-Etihad-Stadium.html#ixzz3PCaHhWXq
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Congrats again and thank you I’m hoping we have the title wrapped up before we play as I’m not really looking forward to it and that’s a first in 10 years!!

Chas,

That photo @ 7:09 looks like the lads were auditioning for Strictly Come Dancing. ๐Ÿ™‚

AW read my comment @7:13 ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    If you are still reading Arsene then please accept my apologies for ever doubting you! Eddie the Ejeet xx

151. erniewhalley177 says:

Bayonne Jean. Concern is right. Unlike last year when we were terrific, playing teams good and bad off the park at The Eti, we don’t carry much of a threat. We had bother disposing off Sheff Wed until Yaya’s thunderbolt from outside the box so the fact that we struggle against Arsenal hardly came as a surprise. It would be easy to say that the defence is pants as a unit – although the components are decent enough – but the truth is that midfield keep misplacing passes and we are playing too often off the back foot having squandered possession. This is compounded by Hart’s poor distribution out of hand and frequently woeful kicking. Injuries to Kompany, Jovetic, Silva, Aguero and now, Nasri haven’t helped of course. We possess little aerial threat, despite what the wanky pundits keep saying. Dzeko has poor technique and the heart of a chicken. Jovetic needs much more game time and a better defined role.
    I am restricting my ambitions this year to a top 3 place and for the Rags to be kept out of the top 4.
    None of this should detract from Arsenal’s victory. We were out-thought and outplayed today and your teamwork was simply magnificent. Really like the look of

Ernie. Wish you the best for the season which will hopefully see you finish 2nd ahead of the Chavs and behind us.

153. Shard says:

Yayy!!!

We witnessed a veritable miracle today. Mike Dean actually awarding Arsenal a penalty. Who would have thunk it? Except Raddy under the influence of some psychotropics obviously.

That obviously helped us, and we were very very good almost throughout. Cazorla definitely Motm, and I loved the vine of him dancing after Groud scored.

All 4 defenders did well too, ably protected by Coquelin, who now that he is playing well, will inevitably run off at the end of the season by running down his contract. He still has some way to go in improving his passing and vision, but he can still learn. I hope he’s given an extension.

Sanchez and Ox’s dribbles didn’t really come off as usual, but there was no lack of effort from them, and Giroud as well. As you can see, I think everyone did well, and it feels good to be able to say that.

NB and arnie, the possession stats are weird. Different places calculate them differently. Some by time in possession, which gets messed up when the ball is out of play or a stoppage occurs. But I think the more usual practice these days is to just count possession as percentage of passes.

Raddy ๐Ÿ™‚ took me a mo to realise what you meant ๐Ÿ™‚

Good comment shard. Sanchez is not a one touch man and that’s why j think some of his passing is poor, but otherwise he’s perfect so I won’t complain

155. Shard says:

Eddie

Alexis seemed a step slower than his usual frantic self. This just means that he was playing at normal speed of course.

Although not great, his passing is generally better than what it was today I think, but him giving the ball away 30 metres into the opposition half should almost never be a problem. His game is built around taking chances, and even if it comes off only once or twice in the game, it is well worth it.

156. fatgingergooner says:

YOU F***ING BEAUTY!!!!

What a result that is!

We were absolutely fantastic for the whole 90 minutes. Reminded me of the Dortmund game at the Ems where we defended as a unit and broke at pace. That first goal is so important to how we play and once again it showed.

Cazorla was quality again and Sanchez never stops. The 4 at the back were excellent aswell.

Couldn’t be happier with the result and hopefully we can build on it and continue our recent good form.

Well that was fun!

I was one of what seems to be quite a large number of Gooners who “had a feeling” that we could get a result today (even Arseblog felt the same, according to his podcast yesterday).

Excellent pre-match BR.

Santi was simply amazing. As AW said in his post-match comments, he is so effective in getting us out of trouble when we’re under pressure. If any of our defenders can get the ball to him, he just starts tap dancing and defence is turned into offence…

Big performance from Le Coq as well. Wasn’t it Gary Neville who said after the Stoke win that if we went up against City relying on the likes of Bellerin and Coquelin we’d be in big trouble? Well, sorry Gary, you may be flavour of the month when it comes to football punditry, but you got that one wrong.

And big hat-tip to LB, who posted this before the game:

“Remember at the beginning of the season when we looked at the squad with its shiny new signings and thought โ€” wow!

Well, it changes today.

Big day, big game, big result.”

Incidentally, I particularly enjoyed the fact that it was Fat Frank who played Giroud onside for his goal.

Maybe he really is Moanhio’s special agent…

160. Shard says:

While watching the match with my father, I wondered aloud why Sanchez and Ox’s dribbles aren’t quite coming off, and dad mentioned the pitch not being great as a possible explanation.

I just watched Wenger’s post match interview, and he mentioned that the pitch wasn’t the best today when talking about us not making the most of our chances.

Maybe that was it. Why Alexis couldn’t play at his usual (hey) presto tempo and why our passing seemed just slightly off.

161. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Watched the first half in normal time, had to have family meal and then dad duties meant we watched second half at about 7pm. Had turned phone off for radio silence.

Very very impressed by the team performance today. Our passing was superb, Coquelin fast becoming a revelation, I guess he is out of contract in the summer ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Do you know what? We can win every league game from now on, only a couple of draws perhaps, but otherwise plain sailing

I love that Cazorla dance.

The thing is, even though Sanchez had an off day he was still brilliant.

When are you going to say that we play better without *** ๐Ÿ™‚

167. fatgingergooner says:

Could’ve been an 11 point gap to City had we lost. If they lose to Chelsea next up and we win then it’s only 5.

Still a long way to go this season.

168. Well, well, well. I certainly didn’t see that one coming.

I hope this marks a sea change in our team tactics as in adapting to the opposition and not just hoping playing our usual game will always work.

We needed that win as every single other result went against us.

Now let’s hope a crock of spuds get injured in the Piss-poor Cup semis this week and they fade away as usual.

169. fatgingergooner says:

Scrap that, it would’ve been 14 points had we lost! How quickly things change.

A lot of the press raving about Coquelin showing fight and grit at the HM position. Whilst I agree he was outstanding, we’ve lost games in the past with Flamini playing in there who also has fight and grit. The difference wasn’t simply Coquelin showing a bit of bottle, it was the fact the whole midfield worked their butts off defensively and were disciplined in their positioning.

I would love us to sign a top quality HM player, but doing that won’t mean we suddenly become rock solid at the back. The team has to continue to work as hard as they did today on both sides of the ball if we are to get rid of this soft centre tag.

In response to this………

172. Pesa_Africa says:

@RockyLives

I was one of what seems to be quite a large number of Gooners who โ€œhad a feelingโ€ that we could get a result today

Same here! i put my money down on arsenla to win and 1/3 of it on a draw. X 3.3 for a draw, X 4.29 for a win! Guess what, i am a happier gooner!

I “have a similar feeling” about the champions league. We shall see!

Fantastic game! #COYG

173. jnyc says:

Hey Rocky, im with pesa africa above about that feeling, I’ve been sayin it about the Champions League too. .

And, as far as hating to help Chelsea and the pig mourihno… We can take 3 points from them also, to make up for it.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Haha – glad to hear it Pesa!

What part of Africa are you in? (If you are indeed in Africa)

175. arnie says:

176. arnie says:

177. arnie says:

178. arnie says:

179. arnie says:

180. arnie says:

181. arnie says:

dont forget to click on the pic gif above. ๐Ÿ™‚

Looking forward to watching the game without the gut wrenching tension. Even at 2 up and just 10 minutes to go I was concerned. Such is the effect of games like Liverpool away and Anderlecht.

Could this be the start of a tasty run? Win at home to AV and Spurs away would be great fun

Morning Raddy

Great win. If you can go away to City and not concede, you certainly don’t need defence sorts ๐Ÿ™‚

The last twenty minutes Oscar is screaming “we cannot concede now” and I’m saying “Calm down. That was the whole point of the second, we CAN afford to concede now” ๐Ÿ™‚

Raddy

My hopes of success against Monaco were always high, but with so many returning from injury, I think our little trip to Madrid or Barca is nailed on

Raddy gone?
    Chas salon?

Ok, last comment. Raddy, was so impressed you were at The Who concert I stuck up last week, and then you said Moon was way past his best in ’78, so I did some research.

Watch the intro, then skip to the last song and the finale

Morning all,

as I said yesterday mornng if you take DaSilva out of the game you nullify most of City’s attack and then add Yaya not playing gave us a good chance.
    Very Harsh of some to critsize Sanchez. He worked his socks off and for once didn’t score or assist, but he is an integral part of the team.
    Ospina will be number one I am pretty sure
    My only question is why has it taken years for Wenger to change defensive formation so dramatically.

Le Coq, who had a great game was at Charlton a few weeks ago and only as Arteta was injured was he recalled. A slice of luck, perhaps.

I really liked our urgency and even with only 30/35% possession we looked tremendous on the counter attack with Santi really being the conducter.
    We are spoiled for choice with creative players and if you watch the match back again,look how deep both Sanchez and Giroud came, when required.

INitially looking at the back four line up it didn’t look that solid, but proved to be excellent.
    Still need to get one defensive midfielder in this month but considering how the results panned out before we played,there must have been extra pressure on the players,yet they came through with flying colours.

kelsey

188. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    I have to say that Arsenals performance yesterday surprised me no end. I predicted a draw, as i didn’t think we could do much better. Although i feel we can win against any team in the world on our day, and of course that was the case.

Arsenal have been disappointing this season, many games have left me pulling my hair out, many quality players but also plagued by injuries, We in fact have left holes all over the field and have been given the run around by quite a few clubs.

Our record against the top teams has been really poor, where other managers have set their teams up to handle what threats we may cause, Our team has had what some might call a gun ho approach where everybody seems to go forward.

Where our passing has been wanting and attack reversing into defence, we have left ourselves exposed, and where players are missing we have been open at the back.

This situation has continued for quite some time with the manager seeming not to addressed the problem, many myself included have found that our manager seemed to be clueless in how to deal with these problems.

Players have started returning from injury, and although others have just got injured, it seems that the balance is starting to swing leaving us more options.

When Asked after the game why we changed to the tactics used yesterday, Arsene seemed to me to not really understand the question, but still he talked about togetherness and team work backing one another up , but when the interviewer asked him why he hasn’t done that before he seemed as if this has all happened by accident and was not a tactic he had planned out.

What actually happened whether by accident or master planning, was a robust tight formation where we looked resolute and secure, now i have egg on my face expecting the worse, and we out think out manoeuvre and actually out score the Premier champions, can we replicate this i certainly hope so

don’t worry steve, most of us have a full English fry up to lick off our faces this morning ๐Ÿ™‚ I was a superb surprise, what a team we have, awesome, simply awesome

yes Kelsey, Ospina would be my chosen keeper. At 26 he’s probably at his peak, Szczesny has a few more years to mature. I loved it when Oooooooospina was dramatically going down with the ball after we scored the second. Very professional performance from the Columbian.

We only had 3 shots on target, I thought it was 2. Does the penalty count?

190. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Eddie, i believe they counted Girouds header as a shot on target. And nice one yesterday ๐Ÿ™‚

yesterday’s game killed our transfer rumours. No way AW will buy now

192. Good morning girls ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve still got a nice tumescence after yesterdays result ๐Ÿ™‚

Eddie, I’m not loitering after your comment ha ha

Do we need a DM now with Coq au Vin filling in nicely? I suppose we need to think about replacing Flamini soon, but will Calum be the one to take over?

coquelin is a feisty little outfit, isn’t he?

nb- of course you are not stalking me. at 55 my chances of someone becoming obsessed with me have diminished, don’t you think?

194. He was excellent yesterday, perhaps a future captain? Shouting, organising, putting in a shift to lead by example. I have high hopes for him, and the team seem to like him as well.

Eddie, at my age, obsessing over a 55 year old is now quite common ha ha………. and I’ve met some lovely women of a mature age who can still turn heads ๐Ÿ™‚

Should I now post some scientific formulas and a furry bunny ๐Ÿ™‚

195. Shard says:

Morning all.

Still happy after a wonderful win, even though Motd were bar stewards saying Monreal dived with only ‘a bit of contact’ ‘only a brush’. I hate the media.

As for our tactics. Not many noticed it, but we had a similar tactic against West Ham, not very long ago. That was for a different reason. West Ham don’t know what to do with the ball and don’t want it, so we gave it to them, and exploited their mistakes on the counter. City are good with the ball, but also dangerous on the counter, so we just kept our shape and executed our counters well. Could we do that at home? Probably not. But well done all the same. We also cannot and should not play like that against every opponent.

Also, it must be noted that to make changes like this for one match, it helps if you have a week to prepare (GIE kept saying that about Liverpool last season), and if you have some injured players coming back. It also needs the players to buy into the need for such a change, and seeing Ramsey’s interview, I got the sense the players were as invested in beating a big team away from home as any of us to get that monkey off their backs.

Here are a few more rock star photos of poor quality from the other night.

197. Shard says:

I think the first two are Lemmy Kilmister from Motorhead and Serj Tankian from System of a down

Nice one, Shard.
    The Serj Tankian is right. (never heard of him or his band!)
    Not sure about Lemmy though – assumed it was a drummer and doesn’t Lemmy’s beard join up with his sideburns?

Meant tache not beard.

Hi Shard,

What a revelation you are. All rock bands and stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

You are obviously a lot older that I thought you were, or you are a weird rock junky. ๐Ÿ™‚

No, you were right Chas.

His half beard does disappear into his side burns. ๐Ÿ™‚

202. Shard says:

True chas. Mutton chops are kind of his trademark. But it may not always have been the case. I didn’t even notice the stick in his hand. I just thought that looked like him. May not be.

I’m almost certain you won’t like SOAD.

203. Shard says:

RA

I don’t know how old you thought I was, but I am neither old, nor a rock junky, let alone a weird one. I just know what I know ๐Ÿ™‚

204. New Post about now…..

Ha, I just put SOAD on youtube……………..you were spot on.

RA is just jealous, Shard. ๐Ÿ™‚

Shard!!! How do you do this?? I don’t believe it’s all from memory, no way

208. Shard says:

Haha. RA jealous. That’s a good one chas. I hope it’s true ๐Ÿ™‚

Eddie.
    Do what?

209. Shard says:

Eddie

I don’t know it all. Didn’t you see. I just know what I know ๐Ÿ™‚

Besides, you just have many more memories to process to get to the answer. It’s easier for me ๐Ÿ˜€

Now I better run away before the knuckle dusters come out.

I am slightly jealous of all of you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I maybe missed out.

My interests were all encompassing when I was younger, different countries, mates and girlfriends (or chasing them) figured large.

Went to plenty of concerts but never quite remembered what had gone down when I came to. ๐Ÿ™‚

211. Eddie

I think Shard just underhandedly said you suffer from Alzheimer’s ๐Ÿ™‚

Shard, for us oldes it’s normally the short term memory that goes, interestingly, I’ve noticed that my long term memory has improved as I’ve aged ๐Ÿ™‚

212. Shard says:

nb

I did no such thing! Stop trying to curry favour with Eddie by creating dragons that you can fight against ๐Ÿ™‚

Naah. That’s just an excuse you oldies use to avoid all the mundane, boring stuff you’d rather not deal with ๐Ÿ˜›

213. No NB, your long term memory hasn’t improved, it’s just that you have transformed your young man fanatasies into false memories. ๐Ÿ˜€

Rasp, peaches or anyone else.
    I’ve cobbled together some comments from yesterday so you have something to put up.
    I just sent it to nuts.

215. Shard says:

RA

Why does it sound less like you are jealous and more like you’re showing off, Mr Redondo?

216. ha ha NG

That could be possibly true ๐Ÿ™‚

Shard
    One of the rock star photos was of Slash and my brother was amazed I knew who it was.
    Strange how you pick up some information.

“many more memories” ๐Ÿ™‚

218. Shard says:

chas

Slash is one of the most instantly recognisable people on the planet…..Unless you actually see his face. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ant just thought it was a tit in a hat. I think his guess was Frank Zappa!

220. Shard says:

fun fact

Slash was born in London and lived in Stoke, before moving to California.

Well…When I say fun… I mean random.

Here’s the singer with the band we saw on Saturday night.
    I’d be astonished if anyone knew who he was (without tracking the photo, of course).

222. Thank you chas

……………. New Post everyone ………………

Living in Stoke explains a lot.
    I’ve always thought Chary must have lived in Stoke at one point. ๐Ÿ™‚