Reasons To Be Cheerful

This is not a match report. If you want to re-live yesterday’s slop bucket of a performance you’ll have to look elsewhere. You masochistic saddo.

In the aftermath of the game I contributed a comment with some “Reasons To Be Doomy.” Perhaps the kind organisers of this Blog will republish it in the comments below when this offering appears.

But today is another day and I am putting doom and gloom aside.

Let’s face it, we weren’t the only “big” team to get slapped in the face with a kipper on New Years Day (take a bow, Jose).

But as we look ahead to the second half of the season there really are reasons for all Arsenal fans to feel optimistic:

The Spuds Are Ahead Of Us
This may sound counter-intuitive, but it’s actually a good thing that they have climbed past us in the table. During their lean spell it has gone far too quiet in N17 – no gloating boasts about a “shift in the balance of power”; no cries echoing across the burnt-out wastelands that “this is our year.” Well, now that will all change. Indeed the “One Point Above Arsenal” celebration video is probably already in production. The reason it makes me happy is that we all know how this story ends: God, being a Gooner, has already scripted it out and He loves nothing more than to give the Spuds a hatful of hope before ensuring that their dreams turn to ashes in their mouth.

Returning Stars
Theo is back. He got a decent run out against his old club yesterday and, even better, didn’t expend any energy because he didn’t do anything. And by the time we entertain those nice young men from Stoke a week on Sunday hopefully we will also have Ozil, Welbeck, Giroud, Flamini and possibly even Arteta.

Transfer Window
It’s January and the shop window is open. Of course it doesn’t mean we’re going to buy anyone, but there is always the possibility that we might – which means we can dream. And there are precedents for interesting arrivals coming in the January window – Reyes, Arshavin, TH14 (Mk 2). Be hopeful fellow fans, be hopeful…

Topsy-Turvy Season
Up until recently people were saying that Chelsea were nailed on champs and all the other teams were struggling to find consistent form. Well, now even the supposedly unstoppable Chavs with their supposedly infallible manager have found that the course of true footy does not run smoothly. With the form of teams like ManUre, ‘Pool and the Spuds proving as reliable as a Network Southwest train timetable over the festive holidays, our own inconsistency has not been punished as harshly as it might have been. And with some of the players we have coming back in the near future we have a better chance than most of putting a good run together.

Arsene Wenger
He’s an infuriating, stubborn, bewildering, frustrating, enigmatic, surprising, dignified, intelligent, workaholic genius of a man. We underestimate him at our peril. I’m backing him to get an excellent second half of the season out of our squad.

The Champions League
There’s something in my water (well, something in addition to the residue of festive alcohol over-consumption) that tells me we’re going to do well in this competition this year. Many of our best players will be coning back having had their own mid-season break (thanks to injury) and if we get our groove going we could surprise a lot of people. Can we go all the way? The Chavs did it with the worst team to ever grace a European Cup Final pitch, so the answer is yes, of course we can.

We Support Arsenal
Even if the wheels fall and off and we slip down the table and out of the cups, always cling to this one thought: you support the best club in the world. Just imagine how soiled you would feel to have to pull on a Spud shirt to watch football? Or to be obliged to steal car radios on your way to home games at Anfield? Or to sit in silent, entitled smugness at Old Toilet. Or, Dennis forbid, to have your brain removed and replaced with sewage so you can join the Morlocks* at Stamford Bridge. Thankfully you don’t have to do any of those things because you, my friend, won the lottery of life.

RockyLives

*Morlocks: from H. G. Wells’ “The Time Machine” – a race of troglodoid, subhuman beings who represent human evolution gone wrong.

153 Responses to Reasons To Be Cheerful

1. ljc3084 says:

Reblogged this on Latest Football News and commented:
    I completely agree, we will have a decent second half of the season. We currently have 33 points if we win 13 loose 2 draw 3 in the remaining 18 games we are in the top four.

2. steven unwin says:

LETS SEE IF WENGER AS ANY BOLLOCKS NOW JAN IS HERE HE SAID HIMSELF WE NEED A CD& A DM HOW INTERESTING?

Ah Rocky,

What a grand start to the year.
    Learning the word Morlock almost lifts me out of the gloom. Just wish Google would make more effort with the word Troglodoid.

To be critical, I’d say that you’re wrong in calling Arsene a “genius”. Those creatures can’t walk properly or tie their own shoe laces, and they live with their Mothers.

My hopes for the rest of the season rest entirely with our old mate Luck. Luck with injuries, luck with cup draws, luck that team selections result in a “clicking” or “winning” formula, and luck that the ref doesn’t see Flamini’s clear red in the third minute of the CL Semi Final 🙂

What a delight, a Rocky post and as always he doesn’t disappoint.

I feel better already.

5. Big Lebowski says:

Thanks for brightening my day

6. The Cockie Monster says:

Good try Rocky !……….but I cant get the image of ecstatic spuds out of my mind !….so no cheer here !.
    Only thing going to cheer me up is a win against Hull or a DM beast purchase before then…..obviously, I will cheer up if I now walk into my bedroom and Shakira is wearing my Onesie and wants me to give her One, but knowing my luck it will be some Spanish poofter in a Juansie !.

I just watched Szczesny`s “bloopers” for the first time and was expecting something really horrendous !…..not as bad as the visual image many on here portrayed, I`ve seen far worse and what about Chavs best goalie in the world letting in 5 !…..Grrrrr !.

7. arnie says:

Oh Rocky, where have you been? Fantastic, absolutely brilliant. 🙂 🙂 🙂

A minor quibble, with Rocky and with Micky. Arsene is a “genius”, but not only because he is “infuriating, stubborn, bewildering, frustrating, enigmatic, surprising, dignified, intelligent, workaholic”.

Most importantly, he is innovative. He is always trying to find new ways to play the game. Whether this be by playing 10 midfielders together, or going round in circles around a central pivot. Certainly, it is infuriating because it defies normal logic. But then, which notable invention does not? 🙂 🙂 🙂

Whether it succeeds is another matter, perhaps it will perhaps not, but the main point is that you do not make progress by faithfully following well developed and rehearsed styles of playing the game. That would be for the Morlocks then. 😛

8. arnie says:

Peaches. Do you have one for tomorrow?

Or would you like me to do a recap of our journey southwards to the foreign lands for the FA Cup Final 2014? Please let me know. 🙂

arnie, please write it. A fine set up to my FAC PM

10. arnie says:

Part of the excitement of returning stars of course is the uncertainty. Rambo on return was not quite how we remembered him from before.

Likewise, if Theo’s long wait on the benches has been baffling, his brief cameo yesterday was almost equally underwhelming. Such things happen. It is possible that Ozil returns in a flurry of mesmertrons as the best midfielders ever.

Such is life. How boring and predictable it would be without such uncertainties! 😛

How boring it would be if we could all predict the players Arsene will sign in January? Or not? 😛

11. arnie says:

thank you Raddy. will do. 🙂

Morning all. Well said Rocky, I think there are a few crumbs of comfort there to cling to.

RAto follow up on this mornings Half Term Report the problem as much as not everyone doing it together is that of the 8 only 3or 4 have been anywhere near regular.

And “Good Effort” as we all know is teacher code for ….. Doesn’t misbehave, but is a bit behind the others in his class, but we aren’t really expecting much more. Hence why I added the must strive higher. They need to look at the likes of Alexis, Gibbs and Debuchy and attain that kind of consistency, week in week out, it is true that some have not even been able to get on the field long enough to be judged, whether we can find a balanced team and some collective form will be the key to our season.

As I said yesterday just 5 or 6 games with 11 of our best 16 on the pitch and the other 5 on the bench or rotatable would be a start.

It’s easy to do you get our 23 man squad list and our under 21’s like Ox and Chambers and you decide who you want in the match day squad and who we can leave out, is guess there would be agreement from most on the first 14/15, then a discussion for the next 3/4 spots, then the rest

I’ll start us off:

Szczesny, Martinez
    Debuchy, BFG, Kozzer, Gibbs, Chambers, Monreal
    Arteta, Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere, Santi
    Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott, Alexis, Podolski

That’s my match day 18 so not getting in are;
    Rosicky, Diaby, Flamini, Coquelin, Sanogo, Ospina, Campbell or any other under 21s recently named in the squad.

Oh how nice it would be to have that squad on a match day! Even 16 of the 18 would cheer me up.

I will try and finish the post that I put in drafts weeks ago, kind of cup related, but perhaps a feel good reminiscence of that wonderful day in May will be more enjoyable. 🙂

You never fail to deliver an exquisite little gem, Rocky, redolent with facts to comfort any Arsenal fan while never missing the opportunity to castigate our troglodytic London neighbours.

It is inconceivable that any Post of the Rocky era would not include a mention of the Morlock trope endemic to the wastelands of the footie world. Wunderbar! 🙂

When are you going to write a book? 🙂

Rocky so nice to see you back with a post and as it is your first one in a while I feel really guilty that I don’t feel uplifted by your fine attempt at some positiveness.

The good news for me is that there are only 4 points seperating ourselves from third. The other positives are that we have a transfer window to get the players we should have got in the summer and Arsene has a habit of picking us up when we are down. These are only mere hopes at the moment though.

The bad news is that we are behind a Utd side that most of us feel is the most lacking for some 20 years and really don’t look that good.

We are behind Totnumb, and lets be serious, put up their team sheet yesterday or indeed any recent game and compare it to our raft of internationals and how many of them would you normally swap for our players. Does this indicate better coaching, better organisation, better tactics from their young manager?

We are also behind the team that seemed to comprehensively outplay us yesterday that everyone was saying a few weeks ago would drop like a lead balloon over the festive period.

I never believe our failings are due to 1 thing alone. Personally I feel it is down to 2 main intrinsic factors, those being firstly recruitment of personnel, and secondly improving our tactics and addressing the weaknesses that undermine us.

The summer transfer window started well and I thought right we are embarking on a new era where we strengthen the areas that will help us challenge for the title and we don’t leave it too late and leave ourselves short. Well that was a false dawn and in the end, I hate to say it, but it ended up a poor TW that made us look very amateurish and not like one of the worlds biggest clubs with the greatest of ambitions.

The tactics, well the less said about that the better IMO. I maybe am one of the only ones that feels a bit sorry for Chezzer this morning. He made a couple of errors but I felt for a while that he is put in a situation where he feels he has to do something due to the shower of shite that is occurring in front of him. Many may feel that Petr Cech for instance is a better keeper but I find it hard to analyse this because he has rarely had to play behind the keystone kop routine that Chezzer often observes in front of him so can often remain calm in his decision making comfortable with the fact that those in front of him will make sure he is only called into action on a few occasions.

I wonder if there is another team where the opposition get behind the full-backs as much as with us. Anyone who didn’t know our players but watched a game would probably end up thinking that Per and Kos were our full-backs with the amount of time they are pulled out of their central positions to cover the are behind the full-back. Time after time the other team exploits it. Time after time it costs us and do we learn from it?

I do think Arsene can take us to top 4 because we have a better all round team than probably all barring 2 in the EPL, and as I have said before I feel we are seriosly punching below our weight at the moment so we should improve significantly.

I don’t really believe that Arsene has what it takes anymore to make us title challengers again and what worries me is will top players view it this way as well. Players once formed a line to play for Arsene but will those top players who have more than one option now start to turn us down as they don’t see us as a club that will challenge for top honours again under Arsene? He may surprise us and suddenly recruit what we need and address the weaknesses in our tactics and shape but I don’t hold my breath.

I guess at the end of the day it all depends on where we feel we belong and where we are aiming for. Do we accept that a struggle for 4th is our limit as a club or should we be aiming higher?

Sorry for the dooming comment and a happy new year to you all 🙂

16. We have to get rid of the time machine….. bring back the injured and dead (Diaby) and push on to the future. 2015……… will there be success? All teams have a nightmare occasionally, but our nightmare seems to go on and on…. I still have hope though, and as Rocky says, I am blessed to be an Arsenal supporter. 🙂

17. ha ha Rocky gets lots of love from Peaches and Evonne to make a post, now everyone is clamering to make a post… what crawlers 🙂

GIE,

I understood what you meant, and agree with you.

Rocky, in his Post, mentioned various adjectives or attributes that attach to a personality such as Mr Wenger, but there is another one I think is often overlooked when describing our genius of a manager, and that is he is also an alchemist.

By that I mean he has in the past been able to magically transform a team of good but unspectacular players and made them punch well above their weight as the venerable Rocket mentioned yesterday.

He still has that skilful magic and for example transformed Kozzer from a somewhat suspect, and physically unprepossessing defender into one of the best CD in the Premier League.

That magical alchemy is ephemeral and like a butterfly on the wing it is difficult to capture, but the current crop of players are very close to being the equal of the Chavs or Citeh and my feeling is that it just needs our magician to have a full roster of fit players and ‘kapow’ we could have a fighting chance at more titles. 🙂

19. oh ffs Redders, stop the pretentious language and talk proper 🙂

Hi Norther, 🙂

I don’t know about clamouring to write a Post on the back of the Rocket’s eloquent mini-tome.

The standard is so high it is a brave man who offers up an essay that cannot fail to be compared unfavourably, so top marks to all who are willing to take the chance. 🙂

I vowed, long ago, never to write another Post because I am a bad loser, and my sesquipedalian efforts were no match for Rocky, and were bloody boring as well.

So keep your ‘clamering’ (sic) to yourself. 🙂

I wish I could put more credence in the majority of our problems being down to missing or injured players but I still feel by and large that we have been able to field players of significant international reknown. I am not totally dismissing it however as it certainly has some effect but I don’t believe it as much as others maybe do.

GIE, please correct me if I am wrong but I noticed on a couple of occasions that you feel that Arteta is a very imprtant player for us and that a lot would improve with his availability. I take a slightly different view that he is a fine player in our squad but should only be a back up player now anyway in that position. After last season finished I felt both him and Per needed to be improved upon with both of them dropping to being back up squad players in their positions. The fact that we entered the season with them still as 1st choices in their respective positions worries me and I thought they were 2 key positions that needed recruitment in if we were to challenge for the title.

I felt there was a lack of pace and power in CD and just in front of it in DM and we looked porous through this area of the pitch against better teams who had better players last season. I noticed that both of them were often starters in some of the big thumpings we had against the better teams last year and, as I said, felt that those positions needed an upgrade in addition to a couple of other areas and also replacing who was leaving. I think we only upgraded the attack, stood still in midfield, and regressed in defence, so all in all not a team that was serious about preparing for a serious EPL push.

You have no idea, NB, how hard I have tried during my time on the blogs to write in the vernacular.

To some degree I have succeeded, but there is aways the problem of falling back into what is normal, idiomatic speech patterns to me.

Then I think to myself why should I keep apologising for expressing myself in the way I do. There are plenty of others who I have difficulty understanding – and I do not complain about them.

So bollix!! 🙂

23. Just because you use long words……… and everyone loves your eloquence, me too by the way, but I’m sure most people have to google it…. simple is best, as Wenger has discovered, complicated football doesn’t always win matches. 🙂

24. So Redders, you can be Apoplectic as well,

25. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, I hope your festivities were memorable A very Happy New Year

Now for the new year doom.
    Our performance was a disappointment, Rocky’s Head in the sand post,doesn’t sit to well with me i must say.

Players returning means very little,as the ones who have been with us for some time will undoubtedly be injured after 2 or 3 games as they have since joining us and the new ones will end up the same.

Our No one goalkeeper has also contracted a recurring problem, and no matter how much older he gets it will never leave him.

Time for change out with the old and in with the new. Ospina Mertsacker Arteta Rosiski and of course Czezesney, Sanogo the man i thought would come good also needs to see the boot. Podolski looks like he wants a move, cant blame him when he isn’t played, Diaby and Walcott 3 years injured is no good for a club with ambition.

Wilshere Ramsey also like a bit of time off, how much time have these two had out since joining it hurts my head thinking about it. The Great Ozil has had more time out than he has played, hardly a team man .

Yes maybe i am pissed off Wenger sticking with old idea’s the same tactics and same substitutions, a No 2 who has been stuck to the chair with super glue. And we are expected to join Rocky with his head in the sand.

I expect change i demand change how can a club carry on like this and find success, time for drastic action hiring and fire ring and a change in attitude, if Wenger cannot see the light then a change with a new bulb

I have not seen much of you on AA lately GoonerB, but all is well with the world when you return replete with your block buster mini-Post comments!! 🙂

27. The Cockie Monster says:

`69er……football is a simple game and you want Redders to be simple !………thing is, he`s not as simple as he looks !. 😆

28. obviously not Cockie……… however, I think everyone of any intelligence can speak in the vernacular if they try, it doesn’t mean they are a simpleton…. pretentiousness for the sake of it just gets up my arse. 🙂

I am not normally given to apoplexy, Norther, but I do have flashes of irritation that are unbecoming, but it is rarely displayed on blogs, and usually I am cross with myself when it has happened.

No irritation with you – that’s for certain – I am still hoping to get over to Sud France, in late Spring, and I want you to show me your hedonistic lifestyle as well as the artistic ropes. 🙂

30. I was waiting for you this year Redders……… but you didn’t show, hopefully you’ll make it in the spring, perhaps to coincide with the Monaco game 🙂

31. The Cockie Monster says:

I like GoonerB Cottee`s comments too !. 😀

To tell the truth, I`m getting fed up with the same old rhetorical excuses for our averageness down to injuries !.
    It`s an Arsenal fact of life…,.we get more injuries than an N17 hospital on riot nights !.
    Southampton lost half of it`s 1st choice eleven at the start of the season and two 1st choice players against us yesterday and that being at a mid table club !…… but what they have over us is a better footballing coach !. We can celebrate Wengers ” Genius ” amongst his other great traits and most to me are as a manager in financial terms and the respect of his players, but great coach is not one of them imo !.
    I wonder if Koeman moaned about the “rape” of his squad when taking the job…..or just got on with doing what he does best and getting an average team to play to its strengths with mental discipline and to look at others teams strengths and weaknesses and play accordingly !.

Wenger Out !.
    Cockie In ! 😆

Happy new year to you RA and so glad to find you on here today. i was abroad till recently so wasn’t getting much time to comment but as you know when I have been gone a few days I store it all up for 1 big rant and I know you are one of the only regulars to read them. I am sure most just role their eyes.

Cornish Monster. “Cockie in” is just a sign of your advancing years I am afraid. i am sure in your youth it was out out out all the time.

33. No, get the Cockie out and then get it in 🙂

34. Shard says:

Thanks Rocky. A great read as ever.

Spurs winning yesterday didn’t make me sad. They are Spurs. They will be handled later. It made me happy to see Chelsea, declared the best team this season by many, lose to Spurs, and in that fashion. Maybe Mourinho should have rotated more? His players seemed tired. Oh, or maybe he got his tactics wrong? After all, that is always what happens when someone loses.

I’m ok with the result against Southampton. When I saw we were without Flamini (in addition to everyone else) I was prepared to take a draw from the game. Which is very rare for me. I always want to go for the win. I think what hurt us most was the manner, and timing of the goals. That drained away our belief, and resulted in a very disjointed overall performance.

I’ve seen many bemoan the lack of a DM and offering Wanyama as a sign of what we’re lacking, but I don’t agree. I used to with that kind of thinking, but I think while Wanyama would be an upgrade on Flamini, he wouldn’t be one on Arteta. If we want to sit deep, absorb pressure and hit teams on the counter, ok Wanyama is good. But if we want to control the game and possession, then Arteta, with his passing, intelligence, and vision, is the model for our search.

Based on stats(yes they are limited) , I’m looking at midfielders who can pass at a high rate, including long balls. and also contribute by tackling and intercepting the ball. Arteta does these things well. So far, I think players like Gundogan, Sven Bender (not Lars), Maxime Gonalons, and Morgan Schneiderlin, fit the bill. Maybes for Luiz Gustavo, Krychowiak and Kondogbia. I’m struggling to think of more names. But from my list, getting Dortmund, Lyon and especially Southampton to sell, in January, will be very difficult. Likewise with Sevilla and Monaco (who we face in the CL), while Gustavo has turned us down before to stay in Germany.

I also looked at Mario Suarez, but he’s not been playing enough minutes. His adjusted stats for per 90 seem like he could be a decent candidate for the role. Maybe a loan deal (as reported) for him to see how it turns out. He is tall, so that’ll make some people happy 🙂

35. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks fcukers !.
    I have took your advise and I think it`s going well in my preliminary interview for Arsene`s job !…….it made Stan`s syrup levitate and hop onto Gazidis`s head, then another hop onto Transplants head !….it`s like fcuking musical syrups !. hahaha

Glicster, 😀

GoonerB,

What I like about your comments, (and they are really not rants) is that you go to the bother of setting out your concerns, but then unlike some bloggers (not on here, obviously 🙂 ) – in case Rasper is reading – you go on to explain your reasons.

I often agree with you, and even when I do not, you have not minded having an alternative view put forward.

Long may it continue – and keep worming those camels!! 🙂

Shard,

I disagree with everything you say! 🙂

Ta-ra for now. That vernacular enough for you, NB? 🙂

Oh, and Happy New Year to you too, GoonerB – and all you other beauties, too. 😀

40. wally says:

I think GB has about nailed it up right.

I understand the impact of injuries, but the continual lack of organization is without excuse, none. That should be far more concerning to all. But i’ve stopped worrying about it, it’s futile.

And the longer term risk is that the longer this goes on the further down pecking order we fall and the less attractive we become.

Hi Shard, great to see you back on here as you raise interesting points and articulate them well.

I myself struggle to console myself with what we do on any given matchday by what another team has done. In this case the example of Chelsea doesn’t really do it for me. They had a bad day obviously but then in most seasons the eventual champions have one. It was only their second loss and they currently sit 13 points ahead of us as joint EPL leaders. In this case I am sure they and most of their fans will look at it as a blip. Can we do the same with yesterdays performance?

I would also predict that you will not see this happen too often, if again, this season under a Maureen team whereas I feel we are more likely to see this again under Arsene.

It may hurt losing to a local rival where there is no love lost but if they win the title they will not care one bit in the long run. I would hate to lose 5-3 at Spurs but do you know what I would swap with them right now and take the hurt and deal with it if we had 13 more points and were challenging for the title.

I really don’t wish to compare ourselves to Spurs, Southampton or even Utd because I think we are better than all of them. Last year we were not far away from challenging for the title till the end, and looked like we were ready to spring on this season. We didn’t dot the i’s and cross the t’s and so have dropped further behind rather than moving forwards.

It is all potentially resolvable but I think it will require Arsene to have a good think and a good hard look at his philosophies on how he prepares for games and how he identifies ways to iron out our weaknesses, as well as the recruitment of certain players.

42. Shard says:

wally

Is there a lack of organisation, or a lack of the sort of organisation you want?

I keep hearing our tactics are poor or non existent, and yet we keep finishing round about where we should in the table. How can that be? We’ve done it with players who were called overpaid, not top 4 worthy, and worse, as well, so it can’t be down to simply better players either.

I think Wenger’s tactics just happen to be different to the typical English tactics and that this seems to be viewed as having no tactics. There are many ways to defend. Not just sitting deep (which we did against West Ham). In fact having the ball and keeping it is the best defense there is, but this would be demeaned as tippy tappy.

I am prepared to believe we show no organisation or tactics, but I need to know what that means first. 3 players’ individual errors/poor decision making leading to a goal is not what I would count as a tactical error. Yes, Southampton troubled us, but what did we expect? We troubled them too, before the goal(s) changed the game.

43. Shard says:

Hi Gooner B

I didn’t need any consoling after the result yesterday. I was ok with it. We’ve had a decent festive period despite massive injuries, and well, we ultimately lost because our keeper gave up two goals, and that too at horrible times. When we were just getting our tails up in the game. Individual errors are just that. They happen. Not much can be done. We’re still only 4 points off 3rd, and I believe that’s where we’ll eventually finish (though ManU’s lack of European involvement will be a bonus for them)

“We didn’t dot the i’s and cross the t’s and so have dropped further behind rather than moving forwards.”

Now this is where we disagree. I don’t believe we intended to simply dot the i’s and cross the t’s as you put it. I think we’re moving to a different sort of game plan. Last season we primarily sat back and played on the counter, relying especially on Walcott and Ramsey, as was seen by how we fell off when they were injured. Ox was effectively both of theirs only viable (or effective) replacement, and he helped. But ultimately that was it for us. (We were also not creating enough)

This season, I believe we’re attempting to go to a different style, not reliant so much on Ramsey’s runs, or Walcott’s speed. I believe we’re looking to become better pressers of the ball (as evidenced by the purchase of Sanchez and Welbeck, who know how to do this) However, owing to constant injuries, we haven’t seen what can be, and how we actually intend to play. The clue comes from the 4-1-4-1 we played right at the start of the season. That is how Wenger wants to play rather than carry on from last season. I believe the idea is to improve us, and I think we’re actually down that path, but transitions can cost points, as can injuries. Which is what we’re seeing happen.

I think Wenger’s ultimate aim is to win the CL with us before he goes, and that’s what this change is about. Naveen at 7amkickoff writes their tactical pieces and he’s just finished a wonderful 3 part series on this very topic (Wenger’s past teams, and what he thinks can be the plan for this team, with UCL being the ultimate aim) recommend reading that. Btw, he doesn’t really seem to think Wenger can do it, so I’m not guiding you there only to make excuses for Arsene. I genuinely believe we are a better team than last season.

44. wally says:

Shard,

I’d simply ask what you think this teams biggest weakness over the last few years has been? Whether you think our defence this year looks organized. And whether that is any different from the last 4-5 years. That no one is surprised at yesterday’s result or the manner in which it happened tell’s you everything. We’ve seen this movie many times, too many times.

What I want is what I think is basic to any team that hopes to have success, a solid defensive foundation on which to build. We don’t have it.We haven’t had it for some time. I’ve been frustrated with our lack of defensive solidity for a long while now.

Wenger does have different tactics. He clearly thinks he can win without worrying about defence. He thinks keep ball is the best defence or that he’s going to outscore the opponent. How’s that working? The results speak for themselves.

In the history of the league i’d be willing to wager that virtually no team has won the title without being in the top 3 defensively.

It’s not down to tactics, it’s organization. Organization, for me, refers to understanding the situation and what is required, as a group, to deal with it. It’s not just one person’s decision. It’s what the guy next to him knows what his teammate is going (or should be doing) to do and knowing that his other team mates are going (or should be doing) to do. This occurs when the group practices and drills on dealing with particular situations based on fundamental principles. It’s about understanding what their position on the field should be relative to the ball and the opponent. Both of yesterday’s goals were classic examples of people not knowing what to do or knowing what their teammate was going to do wasn’t it. It reminded me of Birmingham a few years back.

45. arnie says:

Disappointing yes, but the loss yesterday was not my main cause of disappointment. We knew we had two tough away games in the New Year period.

A priori, I would have taken 2 points. Grudgingly, yes, but I would have accepted it. In the event, we bettered it by one point. That was better than OK.

However, the disappointment is first in the poor goals we conceded, and second in how little we created. On the first, the buck has to stop at the GK and the defence. This is simply not acceptable. Flamster’s absence did not help.

On the second, it was the stupidity of our French stud. Without him and Welbz, and for some unexplained reason Poldi, it was disaster personified. Alexis was pushed upfront, which meant there was no one in the midfield to challenge for the ball in 50-50 situations. This was disaster.

The combination meant that the plan that worked well against West Ham was going to be seriously compromised. And so it did. Norfolk has written eloquently about this plan so I am not going into details.

When a plan fails, it is then the role of strategy. Creating minimum variations that will work. For Arsene, this is left to the good guys on the field, I think. On the occasion, this too did not work.

Why is the moot question. For me it was a combination of (a) the absence of Flamster, and (b) Alexis playing too far forward. Which meant there was no leadership in the MF.

Finally, this game shows us, IMO, how much we depend on Alexis, Flamster and Giro in different parts of the field. 😦

46. arnie says:

Poldi now looks like a goner to me.

47. arnie says:

Defence defence defence is also becoming a cracked vinyl record. This is not rugby and this is not European football glory of the 1980s. That is, if the Italy team of 1982 is something we think we can be proud of? 😛

Building a team from the defence upwards is the standard denomination in the EPL. But by no means is this the only way to play football. And certainly not the most pleasing way. Most importantly, there is no creativity in such thinking! No thinking outside the box. 😦

Wenger’s teams are built from the midfield. Forwards and backwards. That is what we do, have done for a while now, and will do for the remainder of the Wenger regime. COYG. 🙂

Excellent, Rocky.
    I feel better having read that. Ta.

49. The Cockie Monster says:

Wally

“And by comparison look at So’ton. They lost half their team in the off-season yet they looked quite comfortable in defence didn’t they. No chines fire drills around the ball, no uncertainty.Well organized. How does a team that’s got new people in 5 positions on the field look so much better?”………..I reckon that’s down to a few thing`s that I have banged on about !……Organisation ( as you have said also said ), discipline, tactics ( which you don’t agree with ), studying opponents for their strengths and weaknesses and working to a flexible and evolving game plan and having a coach with the ability to carry it off !. Koeman has been at Ajax and Barcalona….two clubs who have epitomised “Total Football” and whose playing career is on a far higher level than to Wenger !…..if it`s about economics and managing a football business (club) then Wenger is your man !.

Hey It’s Friday (at least I think it is) and must be time for a rant.

Here’s mine. It concerns socks.

A few years ago one could buy a pair of socks from, say M&S. and they would last at least a year. They were usually cotton mix and single colour – apart from the expensive Argyll ones.

Today – one wash over 40C and the socks are bolloxed. Shrunk to the size of a small mouse. Or if they are good quality i.e. cost over €8 they last for perhaps a couple of months before toeing out. Why?

I thought it was Mrs Raddy’s washing methods so took over the role myself – same results, even at a lower heat and spin speed. Then I asked a few friends and they all have the same complaint.

Is it cheaper manufacture – 7 pairs for 7 quid in M&S is incredibly cheap and one cannot expect durability – but one wash??

I have a motto picked up from Woody Allen – Buy Cheap, Buy Twice, so I don’t buy cheap socks. Nonetheless, they last at best 3 months.

It pisses me off

kind regards

Angry of Copenhagen

51. wally says:

Cockie,

I think we’re very much on the same wavelength. Discipline, organization, for me are very much the same.

I don’t go on about tactics much other than complaining about getting the fbs too far forward relative to where the ball is at the time which leaves the cbs too much on their own. Or the DM gets too far forward with the same result. Good judgement is not being exercised in too many of these goals conceded.

arnie,

being solid defensively doesn’t mean parking the bus. It’s an awareness of when, where, and how to operate.

52. wally says:

Don’t mean for it to come off as a rant. Sorry.

i wanted to put that stuff down. I recognize that as long as wenger is here that’s the way it will be and so there is no point to going on about it. We’re all tired of it as well.

I watch and hope for the best and that’s all i can do. No longer any expectations. Just waiting and hoping.

BR
    7 pairs of M&S socks for 7 quid? No chance.

I have some socks that are 5 years old with no holes and they wash fine.

54. The Cockie Monster says:

What a load of bollox, Rads !…..why dont you just come out and say Arsene needs to buy an expensive DM…..not a cheap loanee like Kallstrom who was full of holes and on a life support machine when Wenger drove the ambulance from Moscow !. hahaha

Blimey, Zeus has fired up the computer on mount Olympus.

Great read Rocky.

“Even if the wheels fall and off and we slip down the table and out of the cups, always cling to this one thought: you support the best club in the world.”

Class, pure class, I salute you.

56. The Cockie Monster says:

This will please some on here !. He`s probably one of the most liked former players !. hahaha……but does he have a point to some extent ?…….I mean, I have heard him plenty of times on Arsenal Player and talksport and he talks with knowledge and interest !…..whereas Wenger`s technical talk is more….” Good Spirit !”….”Mental Strength !” and ” Give me the head of whoever made this zipper !”.

Former Arsenal midfielder Stewart Robson believes Arsene Wenger is the only man to blame for the club’s poor season so far in the Premier League.

A title challenge appears a distant dream as they sit sixth, 13 points behind co-leaders Chelsea and Manchester City.

And the Gunners’ defensive frailties were once again exposed as they were beaten 2-0 by Southampton on New Year’s Day.

But rather than casting aspersions on the Arsenal players, Robson believes their Frenchman is holding them back due to his lack of tactical nous.

He told talkSPORT: “You can go and buy the best four defenders in the world but if you don’t do enough work on the training field and you’re not well organised they are still going to have problems. The problem is not with the players. The problem is still with the manager.

“Nobody wins the title or wins the Champions League if they don’t get the balance right between defending when they don’t have the ball and attacking well when they have the ball.

“I would say, 50 per cent of the time, Arsenal don’t defend well enough when they don’t have the ball and that’s not because they haven’t go players who can do that, it’s because they haven’t got a structure or an understanding of what they’re trying to do.

“If you haven’t got a structure it’s then difficult to identify where the problems are.

“If you pinned some of the ex-players down who have been at Arsenal and back Arsene Wenger to the hilt and you say to them, ‘what did you learn tactically and defensively about the game?’, they will all say, ‘well, nothing really, he didn’t really teach us anything, what he did teach us about was diets and looking after ourselves’.

“The game has gone on from there, you need to be a good coach as well as a good man manager and sports scientist. Arsene Wenger, in my view, still doesn’t do enough work on the training field and doesn’t understand the tactical side of the game.

“I think they’ll just about squeeze into the top four and a lot of people will say there is not too much wrong with that but Arsenal, with the amount of money they’re paying their players, the amount of money they’re paying their manager and the amount of people they get inside the stadium, should be challenging Chelsea and Manchester City for the title. They should be challenging the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid for the Champions League and there is only one man, in my view, that is stopping them and that’s the manager.

“If Jose Mourinho was manager of the same Arsenal players they would be right up at the top of the table.”

Right !…..that should bring out the knuckle duster, baseball bat wielding brigade !. It could turn nasty…. blood every where !. hahaha

57. arnie says:

Cockie. 🙂

58. arnie says:

that smiley was for the socks comment, not the shiite one after. 😛

Every man and his dog, with or without managerial experience, has an opinion on how to get a team to reach knockout stages of the CL for 18 years and counting, plus a final.

Now, that is my Friday rant. 🙂

59. arnie says:

Wally. Agreed on the organizational aspects of defence. 🙂 or 😦 as the case may be.

Where I get worked up is when people say every club in the EPL organizes their team from defence forwards, so we should follow the herd. We are the Arsenal, not a common T, D or H. 😛

60. The Cockie Monster says:

Strong talk of Podolski jetting into Milan tonight for a loan deal !.
    Personally, I`ve never been a fan !…..I watched him for Germany when we first got him and just wondered …” what is it that he actually does ?”……apart from having probably the hardest shot in the world !, ( such is the velocity that if one of his shots hit you in the Jacobs Cream Crackers, they would end up on a cave wall in a new instalment of “Back to the Future 4 !” ) not much !.

61. arnie says:

Cockie. Poldi would have been our best bet yesterday. 😦

Ahem, cough, Raddy.

Is this exactly how events unfolded:

“I thought it was Mrs Raddy’s washing methods so took over the role myself” or…….

“I thought it was Mrs Raddy’s washing methods so she told me to do it myself”

63. arnie says:

Micky. cough cough. 🙂

64. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes arnie !….I think if Pod would have been on for Santi`s early strike at Soton`s goalie, then the paramedics would have had to remove Fraser Forster bit by bit after being shredded through the goalnetting !. 😀

65. arnie says:

Cockie. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Bless Arnie I say

Other teams may do silly sheepish things, like all organise their players and stuff, but we don’t, and that is worth celebrating 🙂

It’s a win win philosophy

67. arnie says:

Not what I said, Micky. Are you a journo? 😛

68. The Cockie Monster says:

Hey chas !……..do you sit near Claude on the away games ?…….next manager potential ?. hahaha

Didit. Sadly, I know how to use a washing machine

How you doing with the cancer sticks?

70. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually !……I think we need to hire a hitman to take out Claude !……everytime he`s on Arsenal Fan TV, we lose !……fcuking Jonah !. hahaha

Ha ha 🙂

However, your Arsenalthink still works on that and every level.

Cannot wait to deploy it next time my Spud chum calls and gloats over being above us and playing the better football.

I will simply “baaaaa baaaaa” sheep noise him down the phone and hang up 🙂

Day 2 Raddy, and not a puff

arnie,

In your 3:49 you say :-

“Most importantly, there is no creativity in such thinking! [defence, defence, defence] No thinking outside the box.

Wenger’s teams are built from the midfield. Forwards and backwards.”

That made me hope you are wrong. 🙂

Generations of fans have been brought up with the accepted wisdom of our forefathers, and all the pundits, that in a simple game like football the best teams are built from the back.

Surely I cannot be the only one who thinks that your interpretation of Mr Wenger’s actions [3:49] make him seem as confused as the grand old Duke of York.

I am referring to a satirical old action song that seems to mirror your theory, and it goes;

Oh, The grand old Duke of York,
    He had ten thousand men;
    He marched them up to the top of the hill,
    And he marched them down again.

And when they were up, they were up,
    And when they were down, they were down,
    And when they were only half-way up,
    They were neither up nor down.

Certainly different – very creative, no doubt – and utterly pointless.

On the other hand, perhaps the best teams, like Arsenal, are indeed based on differences, diversity and also built from the middle as you suggest, but I prefer to believe that the key to a great team is unity, harmony, and a solid defence.

In the meantime, I suggest you do not attempt to build a new house from the middle – unless of course you are magician. 😀

74. ‘evening all, I’ve calmed down considerably since yesterday’s fiasco and have been able to rationalise things to a certain extent.

I think we were all overjoyed that Szczesny, Debuchy, Merts, Koscielny and Gibbs were all fit, all available, all selected and all started. The problem was that it was the first time this season that they had actually played together.

In front of them they had two strangers. Two strangers to each other, one of which, Chambers, had never ever played in the position, the other a stranger to the club, he’d only been back about a week.

Defence is all about continuity, continuity brings confidence and understanding of ones team-mates. Without that understanding the kind of shambolic defending we saw yesterday is inevitable.

If all the back four stay fit and available we could see an understanding develop between them, so their joint performance should improve. If Chambers gets to play in the same position for a few games alongside Coquelin, they too could develop an understanding.

The problem, with all the above, is that injuries, suspensions etc. will inevitably disrupt things and if that doesn’t happen, Wenger will do so. He’ll almost certainly bring Arteta in as soon as he’s fit, He’ll try to rest Koscielny, who is still carrying his injury, and Merts needs a rest too.

What will happen should we sign a centre-back and a holding mid-fielder I dread to think.

Rubbish RA

The very greatest teams have the greatest attackers. Fact 🙂

Norfolk

“Just one more thought, with Welbeck injured, Walcott nowhere near match fit, and the Village Idiot still suspended, why are both Podolski and Sanogo going out on loan?”

It’s the window, and there can only be one answer. Let’s hope he’s bloody expensive 🙂

77. arnie says:

Redders. “the key to a great team is unity, harmony, and a solid defence”. No argument there. 🙂 I might add a fantastic midfield and an efficient striker or two. 🙂

That does not mean defence first, second, and second to last. BTW, last but not the least, everything else! 😛

78. arnie says:

snap. 🙂

79. arnie says:

my feeling is that Podolski is offski and under changed circumstances, go go go may be retainski.

Well, Micky, there we have encapsulated all that needs to be said – and if only Wenger listened to us he would be……..fooked. 🙂

“Look, Arsene, it is really simple, three great minds have laid it out for you in the simplest of terms — just concentrate on the pointy bit of attack, while building on your protuberant middle, while never let the enemy get up your rearguard.”

Comprenez-vous? 🙂

81. Micky, we can only hope!

Happy New Year everyone!

It seems to me, that not unnaturally, Podolski at 29 going on middle age, is peed off that he is not getting a game.

I like the Pod’s demeanour, but if he has crossed Arsene he will be on his way out.

Don’t mind that – it’s the manager’s call – but like with Vermaelen I would prefer it if AW bought a replacement first, before selling.

Maybe the Boss is realising some of his attacking assets — and will bring in a Micky special centre forward. 🙂 [No. i don’t believe that either.]

83. The Cockie Monster says:

Wenger said …..”I cannot fault the attitude of the team, but we were again haunted by the ghost of what we have seen since the start of the season.”…….that`s it, lets torture Trannysplant by hanging him from his ghoulies, our shite form is all down to him and his effing “ghosts of the thirties” !.

Brilliant Rocky, I agree with all of your points.

The returning stars should give us just the boost we need. Especially Diaby, who I fully expect to be this seasons Football Writers player of the year.

The transfer window will hopefully give us all what we desire. Namely a six foot six defensive midfielder who turns out has a lisp and refuses to tackle any body not involved in choreographic dancing.

Arsene is the man. After Arsene wins us the European Cup, he will be elected president of the IMF. Austerity will be extended 100 years. We will all be very skint, but delighted at the socialistic wage structure

The Champions League is in the bag, Probably Real Madrids, but you never know, Barca might win it instead.

Arsenal is the greatest club on earth. Despite been a bit shit, we should confuse our enemies by rejoicing in defeat. As my ex wife took all my money, I smiled all the way through the divorce hearing. It didnt make any difference, but the Judge did recommend free psychiatric support.

Bloody hell Rocky, I remember as a kid watching that time machine film and been absolutely terrified. “mum mum, those people are so scary, we look nothing like them”

I only calmed down when normality returned with the first appearance of the Morlocks

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Oh do be accurate, Cocker, it’s ‘Goats are thirsty’ – sheesh!

And Wenger is right – it is all the Syrup’s fault.
    Where is he, by the way? I miss him, and I worry about him having fallen by the wayside — before I can give him a good spanking for what he has done to Arsene’s team!! 🙂

Brilliant as always Transplant 🙂

87. arnie says:

Terry. 🙂

Redders. telepathy? 😛

“Totnumb above Arsenal is like premature ejaculation. No one enjoys it. Accept my wife.”

Fantastic 😀 😀

Micky. Two days. Brilliant. Well played Sir.

Hit the kids yet? ( you wouldn’t dare hit Mrs Didit!)

90. The Cockie Monster says:

So Stretch is offering his wife !. hahaha
    Don’t expect a stampede !…….well, not with your description of “McManus” and “Thunderthighs” !…….although, Rasp looks the type !…..I mean, he`s got one of the cleverest kinky games known !……he slips his “eel” into his Goldfish aquarium and gets away with it only because two seconds later they forget !. 😯 yes !… that’s the look they give !. hahaha

Cornwall, hahaha. I might ask the neighbour to help lower my aquarium.

Got to go, very busy these days, plus the neighbour might go out.

Thanks Rocky, a great rousing post …. what other choice do we have.

Secretly, my feelings are closer to your rant yesterday 😦

Brilliant post, thank you Rocky 🙂 It’s like getting a late Christmas present, which is better than all the others. I usually get at least 1 Arsenal related prezzie, but this year I got 2, ie a book and a post from you! I wonder if that means that your waters are right?

I know you and many other Gunners are obliged to hate Spurs, but frankly they probably deserve to be above us in the table, they are playing really entertaining footy. Let’s hop that will not last for much longer

Wenger’s magic hat is always full of surprises, but I don’t like surprises and would prefer for Arsene to come out now and say what he is planning for the rest of the month. That way I could sleep better and we would nto have DidIt’s speculation. Come on Arsene, speak up or Micky will as usual buy half La Liga, 20 Seria A players not to mention bundestliga and some Eastern Europeans

Rocky – would it help you writing more posts if Peaches and I were constantly flirting with you?

I bet the cat has been kicked…………..

95. arnie says:

not belled?

oh I give up, headache, bed, laters

If the best teams are built on defence why are ManUre above us?

They have no full backs, currently no defensive midfielder and not a world class centre back in sight.

They do have a very dangerous front five and a midfielder who can get the ball from the back four to those that can do damage, and that GoonerB is why I think Arteta is key to our squad, I’m not saying he is the best out there, but he is the best we have in the squad.

The biggest problems we have had this season is even when Arteta has played he has not had one midfielder prepared to sit back a little bit to give another option to the back 4 (to stop Arteta being double teamed) or to be an easy pass when he can’t thread it through to the danger men.

GIE

I hope you don’t mind me saying but I think that you have written some superb comments over the last two days. The one above included.

99. Shard says:

Well, Podolski is offski to Inter Milan.

Reports of us bidding for Moussa Sissoko, at which I laugh.

Hopefully we’re about to sign a CB and a DM now. Though, like I said. I doubt we get our real DM target in January. Dortmund would have been ripe for the picking if they were out of the CL. As it is, I doubt they’ll sell. If they are willing to, let’s buy Sven Bender and/or Gundogan (who papers report will be sold in January).

Gundogan would be an excellent replacement for Arteta. Although he has only recently come back from injury, so I don’t know about that.

100. arnie says:

Sad. 😦

101. fatgingergooner says:

Looks like Pods off to Inter. A useful squad player to have but he’s a bit of a specialist in the position he plays. It makes more sense to get a younger player who can play any of the front 3 positions ie Welbeck.

It will be interesting to see if we do manage to get any deals done this window. Defensive players are a must, but I would rather us wait until the summer if it means we get our main targets.

I just hope Özil doesn’t have to worry about playing wide left when he returns. I really want to see him in that number 10 role when he gets back.

102. arnie says:

FGG. another Welbz? No, not for me! one is enough! 😛

103. arnie says:

Dhrupad is the oldest and arguably the most difficult form of Indian classical. Pleasantly surprised to find large popularity in the Netherlands, Fance and Germany. apparently, many kids are learning as well.

Traditionally a male domain, this performance by a Dutch-French women duo is rather remarkable.

104. arnie says:

IMO, let us focus on developing Sanogo. 🙂

105. arnie says:

and Welbz. 🙂

106. neamman says:

Didn’t see the game or the previous one at the Hammers. how was Coquilin?

107. arnie says:

good, Neamman. developing well. 🙂 one of the bright spots.

108. neamman says:

thanks

Evening all and sorry for the late arrival – thanks for the comments!

I think I could be quite down about our prospects but I’m choosing to be up instead 🙂

neanman
    I thought Coquie was possibly our best player against Saints.

Eddie

In answer to your earlier question – the answer of course is yes 🙂

112. arnie says:

Peaches/Rasp. Potential post sent to Nuts. Copy to Raddy. 🙂

LB stop it I’m blushing 😳

I don’t think we can fault Podolskis attitude, he has always been willing, but his skill set is limited especially when it comes to the defensive side of his game, maybe when we first signed him he had some legs left, but they do seem to have left him.

Exile

I’m certainly not going to big you up (or anyone else for that matter), but:

“If the best teams are built on defence why are ManUre above us?”

GENIUS 🙂

Attack attack attack 🙂

micky – are you so aggressive because you are not puffing?

and where is Chas, is he working again?

Aggressive?
    First comment of the day is telling Exile he’s a genius 🙂

the attacking bit is not exactly in a hippy style

Have you quit?

Eddie
    Doubt Chas is working on a Saturday. More likely got pissed and ended up doing a sleepover somewhere 🙂

So far, yes

well done!!!! I am duly impressed

Funny how his indecent photos annoy me sometimes (not difficult to achieve), but when he is gone somewhere this blog seems empty. Like a piece of furniture that you got rid off and regret doing so

Blimey Eddie, he’s only an hour late, the dusty old cupboard 🙂

Eddie
    Would it help fill the void if I got rid of the pink panther, changed my name to…errr…Chas, and uploaded some filth?

124. Chas says:

Morning Eddie

Hey, hey, Lo and Behold, he doth appear

an innovative way to catch a footballing husband, clever all right

127. the real chas says:

128. the real chas says:

Chas with a capital ‘c’.
    …and politely saying ‘Morning’.
    Never.

Right, now to watch that video.

Great story about the sofa
    Thanks, yer knackered old antique 🙂

ROLF

131. VCC says:

the real chas 7:59, that looks like a ducking chair pulled out of the Thames.

Wonder if Eddie would have been subjected to one back in the day. 😉

Micky
    Did you used to wear eye liner?

Morning All

chas obviously woke up with wood (on his mind)

Very interesting pics, specially like the upturned table/cupboard, but why the dreadful blue check wall-paper? Must be an American.

Would love the faded blue wardrobe. Is it for sale?

134. arnie says:

motning all.

have we …. yet?

the cheaper the better, and crocked ones would be welcome too, antique brilliant! 😛

135. arnie says:

no wonder, Raddy. That one has the kooks of Mailstorm? 😛

136. arnie says:

137. arnie says:

Right a question for you folks.

There was much consternation at the time Spuds signed Paulinho, now it appears one and a half seasons later he may be out the door, any takers?

Is quite solid is composed on the ball, has PL experience, however currently Mason and Bentaleb get into Spurs side ahead of him. Flamini replacement a possibility.

With Pods departure we now have 3 spots available.

What’s up with chas this morning, is he off to an antiques fair?

New post coming, just sorting all the photos ……… thanks arnie 😉

140. We haven’t had any snow (in London) and I think today is the last day so maybe I’ll switch it on 🙂

141. arnie says:

GiE. as a loan signing, absolutely fine, OK as well if free transfer. Otherwise, hmmm. 😛

GiE. I have pilfered some of your photos and vids for the post. with accredition. 😛

142. New Post everyone …………………