Arsenal Finally Find The Winning Combination.

Arsenal played what was probably the most complete ninety minutes of football this season in the EPL, beating Newcastle 4-1. But winning combination I hear you say with fingers hovering over the keyboard at the ready to disagree – are you sure? Irrespective of what a good job Debuchy did on the day or just how much more comfortable Bellerin now looks after a run of games — the defense was clearly make shift at best.

This alone will surely make some question the assertion that Arsenal have found the winning formula. And further, how could this statement be true when we had Oxlade-Chamberlain who might be winning support for his eventual role in the midfield but right now his repeated failure to complete simple passes, always leading to the loss of possession, tells me that he is still some way off making that role his own, yet again suggesting that the claim of having found the winning formula may be wide of the mark.

No, my dear Arsenal supporting chums, the winning formula is the attack and not all of the attack at that, not Sanchez, who I will come back to. The winning formula, the one that galvanizes the whole team, the one that fuses a stop gap backline and a makeshift midfield from brittle iron and carbon into hardened steel is quite simply the combination of Giroud and Welbeck on the field at the same time.

giroud and welbeck

This pairing is the answer; they both take the pressure off the other giving each a greater self confidence and the result is that this radiates throughout the team almost to the point where is doesn’t matter what the rest of the team is made up off.

Not convinced, well let’s look at the games since Giroud’s return? Although, before I do, I need to set the scene and remind you that the preceding game was the uncomfortable loss against Swansea 1-2.

Giroud’s first appearance was against Man U when again we lost 2-1; Welbeck was marked out of game. Big Ollie came on as a substitute and scored a cracking goal. The loss was bitter but most people saw Giroud’s return as the silver lining.

Next up, West Brom away: Giroud and Welbeck start, Danny Boy scores with a header to win the game 1-0.  It wasn’t high scoring but there was something different, Arsenal were playing with a far greater sense of confidence. I put that down to the pairing.

Next, Southampton: Welbeck starts with Giroud on the bench, Danny is largely anonymous. Giroud comes on after 65 minutes everything changes and we end up winning 1-0 with a late goal from Sanchez.

Then came Stoke: Giroud starts with Welbeck on the bench (no winning formula) the team fought back bravely but the Chambers red card made it a bridge too far. As for Giroud — he was awful.

Arnie wrote this yesterday: “By the way AAers and other fans that hounded Giro and welcomed Danny that was disgraceful.”  To which Rasp wrote: “Which AAers was that?”.

Arnie is completely right. Micky, Kelsey and I are all guilty of this, although, not quite in the way I think that Arnie is suggesting.

Giroud is not good enough; his first touch is poor, he is slow; in short, he will get us top four but we will never win the league with him as the sole striker. Wenger knows this which is why he brought Sanchez and Welbeck in the summer. Anyone who thinks Wenger is happy with fourth place really needs to think about what happened there a bit deeper.

Sanchez is obviously the most exciting player we have but he is so much the lone gun that he doesn’t make a good pairing with any one single player; there is always something missing when he and Welbeck play together up front but add Giroud and we have magic, and oh how we enjoyed the firework display on Saturday. Sanchez is pretty much allowed to do whatever he wants while Giroud and Welbeck can interchange at will, neither feeling pressured and both pulling defenders out of position allowing the other to find space. (Yes, GIE I did read your comment).

The upshot of all this is that I firmly believe that, amongst that incredibly talented squad, the illusive winning combination that we have been in search of all season has now been found. Ladies and gentleman please raise your glasses to Olivier Giroud, Danny Welbeck and success.

Cheers

Written by LB

216 Responses to Arsenal Finally Find The Winning Combination.

Jus to close this morning’s chat.

NB. If we draw Monaco then everyone can come back to mine. Luxury – No. Charm – Definitely.

Eddie. Peaches was a little girl back then and I, as has been widely reported, was in the midst of a Purple Haze 😀

Now to read the post which knowing LB will be a cracker

2. Nice one LB

I think you may be right about the Welbeck/Giroud combination. They tend to draw defenders away from each other, I think we saw it when Ollie got his header, Welbs had taken the CB’s with him and it left Giroud with just a FB.. good time to come indeed, as long as they stay fit and un-injured.

I need to close the earlier banter as well. Arnie, I share a studio with a couple of other artists, we book time there. But if I have a particularly attractive model, I use my flat 🙂

3. meaner says:

FYI, if Ox is poor in simple pass, Ramsey is worse, and he plays much more time in central midfield than Ox does. Ox has only 2 games as a central mid under his belt.

Sometimes instead of a simple pass, Ramsey would flip or back heel pass ended up losing possession, and that is annoying.

LB Excellent and a post I can disagree with.

Firstly, It will be a pleasure to raise a glass to OG /Welbz but can I wait until sundown?

Secondly, they are a potentially fine combo but I cannot see them playing many games together. Ozil will get an automatic start (whilst he remains at Arsenal 🙂 ) and Theo is IMO our best striker. How to fit them into the side without dropping one of Welbz or OG?

I believe AW bought Welbeck because a). He was cheap b). he saw him as an alternative to OG or c). he sees him as a left sided attacker, hence the demotion of Podolski.

Let us assume you are right and they are the future . With Theo on the right, Ozil and Alexis behind. Wouldn’t we be too top heavy?

5. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, LB. 🙂 Got me thinking. one and a half hour’s drive now, on etn other side of it I will emerge with the magic solution. 🙂

see ya soon. 🙂

As to the criticism of Ox. You are right that he does lose possession too often but I would much rather he went for the Hollywood pass than always take the simple and more pragmatic option. We have Arteta to do that!

AW teams excite because we have players who take risks – sometimes they work , more often they don’t.

7. Raddy

I have to disagree 🙂
    I don’t see Ozil getting a automatic spot, he’s going to have to earn it. The current side has a lot of energy, Ozil has always seemed to have a weak mental attitude, why I’m not sure! I don’t see him as a part of the current team. Perhaps he’d prefer to go back to Germany, perhaps he is unhappy in London? But there is something wrong.

Well done LB, an interesting conclusion from our recent run of games.

What I think I like most about them and Sanchez is they are all physically strong and all prepared to put a shift in. Unlike Raddy I don’t see Theo reclaiming his position that readily and if he does I have a sneaky suspicion it will be to get his transfer value up.

Yes I said it Theo to be sold….why? His contract has two years to run, it was difficult last time, and we have others now. And I feel like we could do with a shock sale in much the same way as Mata was shifted out of Chelsea to make the rest think about how much they enjoy playing at Arsenal and how they may want to up their game if they are to stay.

Now back to Ollie and Giroud and I would add Sanchez too, that’s a three pronged attack that occupies defenders and also should allow our defenders to defend first rather than join in.

I would pick Ozil ahead of Santi (I know Santi is playing well) but Ozil has the ability to find space in a congested area and from there with three players to receive all looking for a different kind of pass he could send opposition defenders into a spin.

Obviously the defence still needs some bodies and the midfield a little work, although I must say whenever I’ve watched 90 minutes of Flamini playing I feel like the others in with him are a bit deeper as they have to make up for his lesser ability bringing the ball out, when Arteta plays I feel his midfield teammates expect to much of him so disappear.

Obv Ollie and Giroud is Welly and Ollie, I’m in London today the fumes are no good for this country bumpkin 🙂

LB

Are you trying to talk me out of everything I believe, because you’re doing a damn good job 🙂

Superb footbally post. Thank you.

Back shortly

11. Bad news…. it’s looking as if the Ox will not play on Sunday, groin strain. 😦

At last, some disagreement 🙂

NB. I bet you a pain au chocolat that Ozil gets his place back the moment he is fit.

GIE. The same re: Theo. AW loves the man and with good cause.

13. 20 minutes till the balls are pulled from the sack …. come on Monaco 🙂 17.64%

14. Raddy

I’ll go a pain au chocolat and raise a pain au raisin and a croisant

ooooh! that’s chavs and Shitty out of competition 🙂

16. fatgingergooner says:

Monaco yessssss

18. Shakctar v Bayern…. wey hey we could get Porto or Monaco

19. wey hey…………. Party at Raddys’ 🙂

20. fatgingergooner says:

Monaco! Fantastic draw.

No easy teams but by far one of the easiest and also hardly any travelling.

my wish came true 🙂 Sorry Micky, orange people with bling jewerly it is, lovely

22. The Cockie Monster says:

Orgasm !!!

23. fatgingergooner says:

About time we had some luck. Great for Wenger to get Monaco. He will love that.

Party at Raddy’s 🙂

25. arnie says:

Credit where it is due. I borrowed my crystals from Kelsey. 🙂

26. fatgingergooner says:

Not to get too excited but Porto or Basel going to be available in the quarters, so just need a bit of luck in the semis and it’s a CL Final for Arsenal. What a great draw!!!! 🙂

27. Excellent……….. could have been a lot worse!

Play at home first………. get a really good result, then trip to Monaco and a rave at Raddys’ after the game. I’ll bring some French women with me Raddish 🙂

28. arnie says:

come through this round, and there are still at least two very tasty options at this level:

Juventus or Borussia Dortmund
    Basel or Porto

29. wally says:

Good game saturday. Good all ’round performance. Interesting that more teams are willing to play us openly. That’s good and bad. There is more opportunity, but they no longer fear us. ( I prefer the opportunity!)
    They are beginning to blend. They can play for each other and Sanchez. Santi’s coming good after a horrible spell that had one questioning his utility. And oz is coming back, all good for the moment.
    Someone had an article on the weekend saying our season will go as bfg goes. And thinking about it they’re probably right. Kos can cover some of his lapses and that reduces his own effectiveness.
    Chambers at the end of the day is a cb. Yes he can play outside in a pinch but he’ll get abused without help. He’s not a dm, he’s not athletic enough, doesn’t have the mobility (he can’t flip the hips as they say). Still a good one, but for cb.
    Liverpool look dire at the moment. They truly miss Suarez. Sturridges injury just makes it worst. Catching them at a good time.

And we get the best draw possible, Monaco!

30. Gary Lineker on BBC:

“That’s a tasty old Champions League draw. City never get it easy, do they?”

Fucking wanker, it’s only there 2nd year in the competition, what about us and the amount of times we’ve met Barca and Bayern. khant he is

31. The Cockie Monster says:

Footballs a funny old game, but, we couldn`t have asked for a better draw .
    Monaco won their CL group scoring just 4 goals in 6 games and getting eleven points !. They, like Arsenal, are currently 6th in their league after 18 games on 29 points with a + goals of 4 !.
    Only thing in our way is our chronic injuries !.

32. Raddy’s disappeared to start getting the beers in ha ha for the party 🙂

33. Cockie…. will you and Transplant go to the game in France?

34. arnie says:

OK, back to LB’s fantastic post. 🙂 The bottomline, I think you have a good call on the Welbz-Giro combination, but not so quick. OK, so where am I coming from?

First, let me come to Giro. Before I saw this unique stud play for us, I never quite understood the point of a holding striker. The best I had seen previously was Crouch and I was not impressed. But Giro is fantastic at holding the ball at the top of the box, long enough for the MFs to rush into the box, and then place the ball into space with precision accuracy. This is his game.

Three things then. First, as someone on TalkShite put it: “We love to believe EPL is a place for tiki-taka. It is not. It is a place for a good old-fashioned robust war”. Hits the nail right on the head for me. So what do you think is the treatment on someone who tries to hold the ball? Hacks at every visble part of the body. And a player who can face that kind of treatment all season and walk away from it nonchalantly every time is just superhuman! 🙂

Second, the holding game is not great for scoring yourselves. That Giro still managed to score 20 last season is a testament to his immense skills. For me, he is the best holding striker in the game. Period.

Third, when you are holding up for a MF, you have to wait long. This is where Welbz comes in. He starts from a relatively advanced position and finds good places in the box. This is exactly what makes their combination so potent. Here, LB is spot on.

Except that, Welbz likes to take one touch too many, and his first touch is a bum. This is the problem. I would like to see Danny shoot at first opportunity. I am sure this will come. But probably not this season. Next season, maybe. In two seasons, most likely.

Big deal? We are not going to win the league this year anyway. Fine, next year then. Now, this starts getting more tasty. Because the EPL is a long season and we need good back ups.

Who do we have as back-up for Giro? Sanogo. By all counts plays a very similar style, but has better shooting instincts. He has to improve both parts of his game, holding/ passing and shooting. But I am at least hopeful. If it is in two years time, it will be Welbz-Sanogo with Giro as the back up.

Backup for Welbz? Here is where we have a problem. At the moment, we have Poldi. But he does not take up positions within the box. I think this is the reason he does not fit our current playing formation. So, we have to get another striker, a Welbz-like striker, perhaps a younger Remy.

If we can do that, we are all set. COYG. 🙂

35. The Cockie Monster says:

No, `69er !…..too much money to pay a removal company to get my sofa there !. 😀

36. ha ha Cockie 🙂 shame

37. I delayed my visit to the bar to listen to the draw…. now off!

Monaco!

A bit of ambivalence here. Love the draw for AFC, love the idea of entertaining AA’ers at my house, love the city (unlike Micky but then I am orange and plastic)

BUT

Only 19k tickets available and a small away end. Will we get tickets? Doubtful.

I have been to see Monaco play a few times. Their ground is on the 5th floor of a building!! No atmosphere as there is a running track around it. Last time I was there was to see the Eagles play (who were dull)

39. Oh wow just seen the draw, I can feel myself coming over all orange and blingy – sorry Micky 😉

Peaches 🙂 Shall we go?

41. Tricia might have to come too.

How far is Perpignan from Monaco?

What are the chances of getting tickets for Monaco away?

43. Peaches

Perpignan is a long way from Monaco

MONACO!!!!

Oh bollocks. Mind you, easy win if you like that sort of thing 🙂

sorry really tied up with work

45. arnie says:

Raddy, GiE. I see us playing 2 out of the 3: Alexis, Ozil and Santi. Alexis is currently a certainty because he scores as well, but that may have to change. Surely fatigue will creep in at some point. Not everyone is a stud like Giro! 😛

One box-to-box: Rambo, The Ox, Jack.

That leaves 2 strikers: Giro/ Sanogo and Welbz/ Theo/ Poldi.

That is the way I see it. But if Welbz does not start scoring, he will lose his place. Good backup to Giro when he was injured, thank you and all that.

46. arnie says:

oh dear, Micky, what a disaster! 😛

47. arnie says:

on passing accuracy, what matters to me more is trying to make forward passes. Passing accurately backwards or horizontal is easy.

Yes, we as a team are making wrong passes moving forward. This is a bit of a puzzle for me, because the team has been relatively stable for a while, so the players should know the runs the other players are likely to make.

Injuries dont help, I suppose. 😦

Cheers LB

Completely agree with you my acidic tongued friend.

They really compliment each other and as you say, take the pressure off.

It shouldnt really be happening, surely they should be competing for the same spot?

But no, they fit together like a glove. Theres almost a Brokeback Mountain thing going on there. This can make for very uncomfortable viewing, especially if you once stared at Victor Matures body in amazement. But once we start winning, you no longer care, cheering with the rest of them and drooling with excitement at Matures portrayal of Sampson.

Monaco? We will beat them easy. There a club without soul and I feel really sorry for the people that live there There the kind of people who get nicked for murder by Columbo. Ageing rich Gits who don white captain caps, spend there time sailing, drinking champagne and having sex with beautiful women.

Yes, I pity them, but they will be thrashed.

49. arnie says:

come on hands up, who all were laughing when I said we have a good chance of getting to the semis!

OK, perhaps only a step at a time, QF first! 😛

Thanks Terry.

This made me laugh.

“My acidic tongued friend”

I quite like it lol

51. The Cockie Monster says:

Arnie !…..With that draw, I`ve already gone past a semi !. hahaha

52. The Cockie Monster says:

Not forgetting our youngsters !.

UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE LAST 16 DRAW

Benfica vs Liverpool

Ajax vs Roma

Atletico Madrid vs Arsenal

Real Madrid vs Porto

Shakhtar Donetsk vs Olympiacos

Anderlecht vs Barcelona

Manchester City vs Schalke

Chelsea vs Zenit St Petersburg
    Matches provisionally scheduled for 17/18 and 24/25 February.

QUARTER-FINAL DRAW

Ajax/Roma vs Manchester City/Schalke

Chelsea/Zenit vs Atletico Madrid vs Arsenal

Benfica/Liverpool vs Shakhtar/Olympiacos

Anderlecht/Barcelona vs Real Madrid/Porto

SEMI-FINAL DRAW

Barcelona/Anderlecht/Real Madrid/Porto vs Benfica/Liverpool/Shakhtar/Olympiacos

Man City/Schalke/Ajax/Roma vs Chelsea/Zenit/Atletico/Arsenal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2874543/UEFA-Youth-League-draw-Chelsea-paired-Zenit-16-Man-City-Schalke-Arsenal-meet-Atletico-Madrid-Liverpool-play-Benfica.html#ixzz3LySM7VxR
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

53. Thank you for the post LB, in the excitement of the Champs lge draw I forgot to add my two penneth. Someone may have already said this ……

I think the added advantage of having Danny and Ollie playing together is that they are both capable of coming deep to help win the ball back and because of Danny’s speed we are able to turn defence into attack quicker.

54. ……… without going back to the keeper first 🙂

55. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all.
    Nice one LB, i see a fair bit of thought has gone into your post.
    Now although we had a win, and you piecing things together on pairings, and when players are missing or different pairings, now that sounds feasible, but what i think you have missed out, is how Arsenals work rate has simply upped a level.

We all talked about our gung ho style which saw us lose goals where we were 3 goals up, Danny and Olivers pairing would not have stopped that no mater what way they played.

Arsenal just recently have been forced to re think, losing goals as we have couldn’t continue, and major improvements have been introduced, Its not pairings or certain players, in fact we have had an array of pairings and a lot of individuals who have had to step up to the plate.

The magic ingredient that was lacking was work rate, shoddy give-away passes which as you state some are still doing, but now our players look as if they have a rocket up their arse. they chase back not just one, but in numbers. Sanchez has always chased back and he has been like a Dog after a bone, he just will not give up, but now most do the same. Belerin was a prime example a youngster a new youngster who badgers, gets knocked, but still refuses to let up.

No i am not saying that Giroud and Welbeck is not compatible but they are far from the saviours in my mind. Hard work, cover and keeping position, marking, anticipating, and safe passing, is the key. In my mind we have stepped up a gear, not a pair, but the whole team, i feel that when we go 3 goals up in future the players themselves will say to themselves close up and play safe and defend in numbers. While Arsenal keep work rate up, they will not lose so easily, whether Webs or Oli are together or not.

LB – d’you know, you might be right about Danny and Ollie (cannot make up my mind who is better looking 🙂 face – Ollie, body – Danny).

On their own they are nothing to write home about, especially Danny who still has years to practice his finishing. Ollie came back from the injury very sharp, better than he was before.

They always have such pairs at ManU – the Horseface, Ronaldo, Rooney, RvP have been on their best while competing against each other. Perhaps it is not recommended that our strikers become good friends?

I completely disagree about Ox. Ok he loses the ball now and then, but his runs and drawing opposition with him are superb.

Great post, thanks LB. Although I am not yet completely convinced I’d like to believe your assessment of the Girelby partnership 😛

There are definite positives. I think Giroud must have watched Danny and Alexis’ workrate while he was injured and realised that he’d have to work harder for the team to regain his place – and he has.

When things aren’t gong well, the first thing that has to be maximised is effort – press hard, win the 50/50 tackles, work for your teammates. It could be said that neither Ozil or Theo are great in those departments and so I hope they feel the pressure of competition and are lifted by the energy that Sanchez and Welby have brought to the team.

58. JM says:

Magazine cover featuring Arsenal (“HFB” sticking out tongue, celebrating with “Dat guy Welbz”, Santi “Claus”, “Rambo”, “Gibbo” & “Chambo-95”)

59. ‘afternoon all, very good post LB, yes Welbeck and Giroud can forge a fine working relationship, but is Welbeck going to be content with a starting position on the left wing? His discontent with that position was given as one of the reasons for leaving Manure.

Also there has to be more rotation in the future, Wenger knows that he is risking player’s fitness by over using them. With Ozil and Walcott nearing a return, Alexis and Cazorla should get a rest, while Podolski could come in if Welbeck starts to show fatigue.

Monaco looks like a great draw for us, shame about City and the Chavs.

It would appear, from all the newspaper talk, that Wenger is seriously contemplating the purchase of Shalke’s German international defender Benedikt Howedes. It seems that whilst his main position is centre-back he can also play either right or left-back. Age 26, he’s 6ft 1in tall. He looks tailor made to match up to Wenger’s requirements. His present value is around £14 million.

NG – “Monaco looks like a great draw for us, shame about City and the Chavs.” – I am not sure what you mean by this statement

I think the difference between Welly at ManUre and Welly at Arsenal is going to be twofold:

1) he will be encouraged to express himself.

(Did anyone think he was capable of a pass like the one he played to Ox?)

2) he will learn that playing left or right for an Arsene Wenger team does not mean you have to stay there.

Actually make that threefold:

3) he will stop thinking about laying the ball off for others or having to hold it up and will start shooting on sight.

The goal that was disallowed on Saturday was a very good improvised finish.

63. Eddie, “shame about City and the Chavs” Just a soupcon of irony. 😀

If MC get Aguero and Kompany fit I think they will beat Barca who must hate that draw.

Same for Chelsea, they will beat PSG by boring them to defeat.

We could get all three PL teams in the quarters. Platini will hate that.

A thoughtful post LB

In different ways Giroud and Welbeck aren’t the finished articles, yet apart from Suarez,Aquaro and de Costa, who are real preditors, there aren’t many around.

Welbeck has much more pace and more vision than Giroud, and Giroud is strong and hols up play well,but lacks pace especialy when a goal is there for the taking.
    Both need to be more clinical and the signs are there that might well come.

I don’t know the stats but we have played numerous combinations all over the field this season,mainly through the numerous injuries, and we still don’t know what AW thinks is his best team with the odd tweet.
    With regards to Podolski, I said the other day he was put in the shop window when he played in Turkey,and several rumours today link him with a move to that very club, be it on loan with a view to buy.

I think that Walcott and Wilshere will both be gone within the next two seasons.

Definitely a good CL draw and may have more of an influence on AW buying at a bigger budget, as progress to the next round is more money for the club.

Thanks LB for an excellent post. I was also critical to a degree regarding Ollie, but like you not in a dismissive way. I do see his attributes and his strengths can’t be ignored.

I have always said I like him as an option but I am still not convinced that he is an EPL / ECL winning 1st choice striker. I think those teams by and large have 1 striker who has a strike rate of 25+ in a season with the other forward players contributing significantly.

Do we have a 25+ a season high quality striker in the squad? Too early to say on Welbz as he may mature into that. The way I see it is would you swap any of our strikers for Aguero? He is what I consider a title winning striker (uninjured obviously). The Dybala fellow at palermo looks an interesting young player…….

You are right though that the Welbz / Giroud combination looks good and seems to work better than I thought it would. Is it a permanent solution though? Not sure yet. Still it is nice to have this as a good option.

Individually I like both Welbz and Giroud and both still seem to be improving but maybe this is one of those ocasions where the sum of the parts exceeds the individual LB.

67. fatgingergooner says:

Didn’t I see something where Wenger had encouraged Welbz to sign by saying he isn’t guaranteed to start up front, but he will start.

With LVG coming into United he was no longer a starter, LW or otherwise, and therefore we were a better option.

I like him playing on the sides as him and Sanchez work rate is far better than what we’ve had on the wings in the past ie Arshavin, Nasri, Cazorla, Podolski etc. they give us a much better balance when defending.

Not sure how it will work when Theo is fully fit though. Maybe Sanchez moves inside and Özil goes to HM! 🙂

Nice problem to have.

GIE, agree with your 4.01

Excellent Post LB

I thought we looked really potent with Ollie, Welbz and Alexis up front – not least because of their movement and work rate.

I have noticed a few people (I’m looking at you arnie 🙂 ) commenting on Danny’s first touch and reluctance to shoot. I can’t say I agree – his first touch seems pretty good to me (not in the TH14 class, but then whose is?). And he has had plenty of attempts on goal. He was ridiculously unlucky not to be on the scoresheet on Saturday when his perfectly good goal was disallowed and with that over-the-shoulder volley that went just wide.

I feel he is going to score a lot of goals for us this season and beyond.

And I also think you’re right LB that playing alongside Ollie may be the key.

As someone else said, English footy is littered with examples of prolific “front twos” where both players are what we would call centre forwards.

70. arnie says:

Evonne. ha ha ha.

This is a gem. “Everton are 13th in the table!! Perhaps Martinez is not the material for our next manager”

Good realisation. 😛 Change is inevitable, but some of the numpties we think of as replacement beggars belief! 😛

71. arnie says:

Rocky. I have been looking very carefully as well. 🙂 That one on Saturday was an exception by my book. But potentially you need only one exception every game to deliver a “1-0 to the Arsenal”

I think his first touch takes the ball too close to a defender. I think GoonerB also said something to this effect a week back.

What I love absolutely about Welbz are: (i) his workrate and (ii) his smile.

While I hold my opinion on his being one of England’s greatest ever strikers (or Arsenal’s, for that matter), I am coming round to the idea that Danny is not a Mancunian after all, and pretty fine Gooner. 😛

72. fatgingergooner says:

For me, our starting XI comes from any of these combinations.

Szscesny
    Debuchy Merts Kos Gibbs
    Arteta

(CM) Plus 1 from :

Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere

(AM) Plus 1 from:

Ox, Wilshere, Özil, Sanchez, Cazorla

(LW/RW) Plus 2 from:

Ox, Walcott, Sanchez, Welbeck

(ST) Plus 1 from:

Giroud, Welbeck

It’s more complicated than a CL draw, but it does show that when fit we have great options going forward. I can’t say we have that same depth at the back though, unfortunately!

oh arnie, but what are we going to do about Arsene’s replacement? we need to have someone in place for when he retires

Kels – how are you? like new 🙂 Ollie Pants Down is 28, so if he is still not a finished product he will probably never be one.

I think it is Ramsey who will leave us this summer with Wilshere. Theo is too busy being a smart arse ambassador to look for a new deal elsewhere

They will all be at AFC next season. (Theo, JW, Ramsey).

Why sell any of them?

Eddie. I bet you a polish sausage they will be at AFC after summer 2015

Wilshere, Ramsey & Chamberlin are Arsenals midfield of the future.

None of them are at there peak, have great potential, and will learn to avoid injury.

But even more importantly, The Club and Arsene have invested not just time and money on these three Gems, they have also pinned there long term strategy on there success.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

76. arnie says:

Not our problem, Evonne. And not for a while anyway. When it comes, my bet is it will be a relative unknown. The Wenger Out numpties will be very disappointed. 😛

77. arnie says:

Absolutely right, Terry and Raddy. 🙂

That is the most serious I have ever seen Terry. 😛

Late to the party, but not too late to say that was an excellent Post, LB, and like your other Posts it is a riveting insight into how you read both the game and the direction Arsenal are heading.

You are right in pointing out that Giro, by himself upfront, may not be a ‘winning’ product, unlike, say, Suarez was for ‘Pool, but as part of a two or three man attack he looks potent because he is different to the other two.

To be frank, I think to say we will not win the league with him as the sole striker is undoubtedly correct, but I think that is moot, as we will not win the league, in my less than worthy opinion, while we have such a makeshift defence.

The reasons for the lack of midfield and back four cover has been well argued for months, but whatever the reason, be it injuries, or lack of foresight in the transfer market, having a succession of full backs over the past two seasons, including Sagna, Debuchy, Monreal and Chambers, and an equally ever shifting series of right and left full backs will be our undoing.

Arsene has admitted this in his reference to the enforced rest needed by Kozzer, and has intimated that he will be looking to address this area in the January transfer supermarket sweep.

The game on Saturday was exhilarating and I could not believe how well the attack and midfield played, but I was especially impressed with how well Debuchy and young Bellerin accounted for themselves, almost as if they had played in their respective positions all season long, instead of respectively having just returned from prolonged injury or having been promoted to the first team so recently.

I should add that Exile’s comments were very much the way I read things too. 🙂

NG

I watched the formation of the front line really carefully on Saturday and I would say the only time Welbeck’s position was fixed to the left wing was when we kicked off and when we restarted. Apart from that all three constantly interchanged. Welbeck played on the leftwing the right wing and CF, interchanging with Giroud and Sanchez throughout the game. There is nothing new in the idea it’s just that it worked. The formation may have started as a 433 but when Sanchez went back it seamlessly changed to 442. Anyway what I am trying to say is that I think that Wenger has found a way to keep all of them happy.

Terry, my dear, I wish I could get swept along with your assertion that Wilshere, Ramsey and the Ox will form the backbone of Arsenal’s midfield in the future.

Whereas it is a perfectly reasonable judgement, it fails to recognise that the first two in particular have a tendency to breaking down with long term injuries, and the Ox seems to be prone to injury problems too.

Professional football waits for no man, and altho’ Arsene has a well documented patience to help people recover from injury and re-establish themselves in the team, I feel the Professor has started down the slope to his eventual retirement, and a new boss (I know, I should be castigated for even mentioning such a thing) may not be so tolerant and would want to establish ‘his’ team, and that is usually the code for shifting current players out.

The guys still have the best part of three years to recover and become the fulcrum of the team, as you suggest, but that is no longer as much a nailed on certainty as it once was.

Just sayin’ – 🙂

Thanks RA

I probably should have said we are unlikely rather than won’t win the league with Giroud as sole striker. These small errors have been creeping in since my lawyer, 26 went AWOL.

I agree Redders

Its by no means a certainty, but i do have faith it will come to fruition.

It was a more a response to those who think one or two will be gone this summer. To believe that Arsenal will off load at the end of the season is been very cynical.

Raddy – only if you are going to eat it – pork and garlic is very tasty 🙂

My reasoning behind predicted departures is simple – they are good, could be brilliant yet, there are bastardly clubs that can do with their services and extortionate wage demands. Fear is what I am feeling. And let’s not fool ourselves – Ramsey, Theo and Wilshere will be approached by the competitors and if the brown envelope is big enough they will be gone. Same with Sanchez.

LB, I knew you meant it as a conditional phrase. 🙂

Terry, I agree that it is unlikely that they will be sold in the summer, altho’ as GIE said, if the contract negotiations with Theo are difficult, he could go, as might the Pod and Campbell, but we are not a selling club —- unless Arsene is treated to the usual pathetic excuses about DNA, or ‘little boy’ (meant in the RvP sense) or for money – Fabregas, RvP and Nasri.

I do not see the lads you mentioned as in any of those categories. 🙂

evonne, that will mean our plan has failed

The Club have gone out of there way to offer these boys long and lucrative contracts, banked on there “Britishness” and loyalty nurtured by growing together, in the aim of keeping them.

if they leave, I will get very depressed and end up in that “Home” again, were no doubt i will renew my disturbed fascination with Moths.

86. valentino says:

Like [HE] said, had he been around,d transfer of welbz wouldn’t Av happened. So point of correction,Arsene didn’t buy welbz,but u r right, he sure won’t be happy with 4th place finish, and sofar,d combo of webz and olie is working. Lets just hope it stays that way. Success

LB
    Great post and as a consequence a fine discussion.

About the only thing I disagree with is the reason for buying Danny. I can’t see Arsenal buying him if it wasn’t for Giroud’s injury against Everton.
    If Theo had stayed fit on his return, I could have quite easily seen us sticking with two wide men and one centre forward.
    (fair enough wide man doesn’t really describe Sanchez)

This would mean that the Giroud Welbeck combination is a happy accident. If Rambo had been fit Saturday, wouldn’t the Ox have been one of the front three?
    Anyway, long may it continue as it certainly scares the beejaysus out of the oppo. 🙂

Brilliant draw getting Monaco.

I’d say with a ground holding 19,000 and a correspondingly small away allocation, the chances of getting tickets is very small indeed.

NB69
    Is it possible you could get home tickets?

Ooooo, there average home attendances make it a bit more hopeful. 🙂

Chas

I used a bit of poetic licence to get the signing of Welbeck up there, the problem is that you can never get away with it on this site as everyone is far too bloody knowledgeable.

The picture you posted of you and Ant in Copenhagen stayed with me. You sure did get crap seats. I, on the other hand, had really good seats, I was directly above you which gave me an excellent view of the god awful performance.

Chas,

NB is getting swamped for tickets on other sites – well one request! 🙂

LB
    I had a sneaking suspicion you may have been gilding the lily a tadge, but I knew you wouldn’t mind me pointing it out.
    With your resident barrister bunking off duties at the moment, someone has to keep you honest. 🙂

As far as Copenhagen goes, perhaps we were lucky to have such shite seats. I envy BR’s memories of that stadium from 1994.

RA
    If their home attendance is 8,000 perhaps we should all go if NB can come up with a couple of dozen. 🙂

Actually, Chas, that could be fun. AA en masse on tour to Monaco – fuelled with Alcohol, a la Ant and Duck, would be something to be part of – and to behold!! 😀

Micky
    When’s the next surfing session?
    I can’t find out anything from the ASP website. Either I’m thick or there’s too many laid back surfy dudes running it to bother making it up-to-date.

How many does BR’s hold? 🙂

Gregory – that depends if it’s one or two per bed

Count me in. If you guys want to do an AA trip, ime there. Ive even promised 69 so as to not scare his dog, will keep the paper bag on.

With a K Kelsey….very trendy:

100. Just to let people know that the GunnersoreArse Ticket Touting office will be open for business as soon as Monaco tickets are made available ha ha ha ha

Accomodation (a nice little chateau just across the border in northern Italy) can be arranged for a small extra charge. Women can be arranged on a nightly basis 🙂 🙂

Fat Stan Flashman would get tickets if he’s still alive.

Krystals, nice 🙂

GiE 🙂 is it in Norwich?

chas – did you see my question about my cat misbehaving?

Hourly basis in your case NB 🙂

Anyone get the exact quote from Arsene to cheer Valentino up……wasn’t it more like he said If he hadn’t havw been up early to go abroad that day then the balls wouldn’t have been in motion so early and hence he probably wouldn’t have signed him if he hadn’t had to go overseas?

NoEvonne I’m at London Liv St

106. Tickets for the Monaco away game will be available to ‘au grand public’ from Sunday 21st December. Tarifs from 45 euros to 75 euros.

LB

Thank you again. Great days’ comments on your post. I did urgh when I saw the first team sheet with both Danny and Ollie on it, and whether it came about by design or injuries, you do make a damn fine case for it working.

As has been pointed out, the pair of them along with Sanchez, make up probably the hardest working front three we’ve seen in years, and this is good for both the attack as well as the defending from the front.

Although there is much to discuss about the CL Draw, it’s a shame it’s come on the same day as this great talkie post.

Well done

47 tickets required by AA’ers. Cash up front to NB.

Fast forward to March 17, and 47 AA’ers standing outside Nice International Airport awaiting their Tour Guide wondering who was that lucky bastard they just saw wandering in the opposite direction with 9 women on his arm 🙂

Chas Surf Comp tomorrow

Event Status
    Standby21 hours ago
    Off For Day, Next Call @ Dec 16, 2014 7:30am HST

Ah, cheers.
    Just found where it is on the site, too. For some reason my eyes skipped over the stuff with a black background, as if it was advertising.

Not sure about this monstrosity of a stadium…..

111. stevepalmer1 says:

Although i have said it before and was laughed at, we have got a squad that could win Champions league, and where i have always said that football is fixed, this could well be the year.

Started badly due to injury and world cup, and many pathetic performances, but it also has to be said that injuries to many of our players has almost certainly taken away the chance of winning the Premiership.

Now that our players have started returning and our form seems to also have upped a level, with decent draws which have started who knows perhaps Eufa feels its our time. Snigger if you like but don’t be surprised if it happens

Chas
    Trust me, they really, really hate Oiks in Monte Carlo. I know, they kept putting me in a prison cell. After the third time, I got the message 🙂

Steve
    The draw today was a fix alright. Hot balls ‘an all 🙂

Ok must off

Excellent to hear you sounding positive, steve.

Maybe, Galatasaray away may not be the last time this season mrs. steve is putty in your hands, after all. 🙂

116. Chas

If you are in the visiting fans tribunal you’ll need binoculars ha ha

117. I’ll try to get a ticket for the ‘seconds’, section F, which will be close to the Arsenal supporters

Eddie
    I did see the question about the cat misbehaving.
    The timing is weird as when I got up on Sunday I had been left a similar present. (presumably it appeared on Saturday while I was out all day and it’s in a room I’m not using much, so I wouldn’t have noticed it when I got in on Saturday night!)

I’ve had carpet cleaner and all sorts out. Luckily I can keep the door shut to that room until I’ve got rid of the odour. I get the impression they might return to the same spot if it smells the same.

My two are old and senile like me, as you know, so maybe they just couldn’t be arsed to kick out of the cat flap and have one outside as I’d left them on their jack all day. I know the feeling.

119. stevepalmer1 says:

Chas Birthdays and CL finals only 🙂

Haha, yeah.
    There was me thinking it was your bad boy attitude during the Gala match that had greased the slipway. 🙂

chas – do you mean you are old and senile like your cats, or you poo under a bed like them?
    Thanks for the advice, it is not a nice situation, bit of a stinker. I stop all my animals from going into flower beds by sticking branches of ivy everywhere. I will have to cut some in the woods and place it under my bed, if she steps on one that should learn her

Haven’t you got a gazunder, too, Eddie?

not yet 🙂 but it is not long now, gazunder or Pampers

124. stevepalmer1 says:

Alan Shearer in his piece in the Sun, deflecting criticism away from our Arsene made me cringe. Was he actually praising our Arsene or deflecting away from Newcastles result.

Ex players and now pundits often make me think that derogatory comments aimed at our Manager, is really not aimed at him as he never seems bothered, it seems to me that most is aimed at us the supporter.

so Monaco are known as Red and Whites, one of their most successful managers was one Arsene Wenger, they are one of the top clubs in French league and are part-owned by a Russian billionaire. No big names apart golden oldies like Berbie and Carvalho

On a scale of 1 to 10 I am 7.3 certain we will win over 2 legs.

126. The Cockie Monster says:

Simple solution to….The Cat Crept under the Crib, Crapped and Crept out again !……..cut the legs off the bed and lower it !….or….see if there`s a local Chinese take-away, they pay top dollar !. hahaha

naughty Cockie 🙂 but lowering the bed is not a bad idea, not bad at all

I’d almost forgotten that Ozil plays for us.

Evonne, maybe I shouldnt say this, but when my cat started pissing on the kids bed, I retaliated by pissing on him.

Petrovitch never weed in the house again.

He also used to jump through closed windows when ever I innocently removed my trousers.

Nice one chas.

Petrovitch was a class player. Quite ironic really. He ended up pissing on us by leaving to soon

132. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha brilliant day’s blogging. 🙂

133. arnie says:

I will be in the US at the time, but tempted to join in if an AA contingent lands up in Monaco. 🙂

Arnie
    You’d come all the way from the US? Wow

Chas
    Love the smoking Arsene

I bet this makes perfect sense to GIE.

Chas

I find that graph rude and offensive while undermining everything good the swinger stands for

And morning 🙂

Boy, you’re right about that stadium. Worked on boats there for three months in me yoof, but never went, mind you, it probably wasn’t built

Morning all, has anyone else had trouble getting into WordPress? I had a warning that the site was not to be trusted?

Can you run us through you being banged up 3 times there?

I’m very disappointed at Arsene toking on a fag 😦 he doesn’t even look like he’s inhaling – like those actors who pretend to smoke in a role but are really hating it.

Like the leisure wear Arsene. Don’t look like a scouse junkie at all!

Mind you, sorry to see the arms gone.

That’s more like it Arsene …. are they all rappers?

Nothing heavy Chas. Worked there cleaning boats with a mate. Just got ripped to the tits every night, and it’s a small place, so any hanky panky and you’re lugged off for the night.

I have absolutely no idea what Raddy sees in the place. Really, I’m being serious. It has no character at all. You see big boats, a casino with cars outside, and genuinely, that’s it. Done.

I’ll email you and big after next coffee

I’ve seen more meat on a butcher’s pencil 😆

Interesting what AW says about playing 4:4:2

Lauren was one of his favourite signings!

oh yuk

Former Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry has announced his retirement from football after a trophy-laden 20-year career to take up a media role

ffs Thierry, we will end up hating you!!!

No you won’t Eddie. “Looks” come before substance 🙂

that’s true micky 🙂
    I just cannot understand why I adore Gary Neville?

thanks for the advice Terry, but there is no bloody way I am going to crawl under the bed and poo on my cat. I would ruin my hair

Nope, the cat is left outside for a MUCH longer periods to make sure her bowels are empty

Happy days. Two 4-1 wins in a week and a decent draw in the CL. Just need Spurs to cripple a couple of L’pool players and play out a hard fought draw.

So who is going to photo shop Arsene snorting up a bloody great of Bolivian Marching Powder?

does it matter if a manager smokes, drinks, uses? Fergie has done it all and it did no harm to his managerial career

Eddie
    Many athletes take worse drugs than fags and booze and that’ll include football

Morning all

Question: Is Flamini out of contract at the end of the season and are there any others and has Arteta signed a new one year deal ?

Where is Ospina ? Is he Diaby in disquise.

micky
    there are no worse drugs than fags and booze

Krystals, try to Google
    1 flamini contract ends
    2 arteta contract ends
    3 ospina injury news
    4 are diaby and ospina the same tax evasion scum

you can add – did Su Yang Park ever existed?

156. Good morning Ladies 🙂

What’s all this hypocrisy on here this morning about drugs, alcohol and fags?

In one breath Eddie says does it matter if a manager smokes and drinks, it did no harm to old red nose and his career…………. and in the next breath she’s saying there is nothing worse than fags and booze? 🙂

Chas, thanks for the crack of the day on my site this morning…. I must say it was a very nice view 🙂

Summer 2015

Mikel Arteta

Francis Coquelin

Abou Diaby
    Summer 2016

Tomas Rosicky

Mathieu Flamini

Lukas Podolski

Theo Walcott

Ryo Miyaichi (on loan at FC Twente)

Joel Campbell

Olivier Giroud
    Summer 2017

Per Mertesacker

Nacho Monreal

Santi Cazorla

Yaya Sanogo

So if AW fulfiils his contract there will be a lot of coming and going.

I am not sure if the above is correct as I thought that Arteta had signed a new deal.

Eddie

Park definitely existed. He came on during a League Cup game, and the very second he did, the electronic advertising boards immediately changed to “All inclusive sex fiend breaks to Bangkok with Thai Air”, although that incident in no way confirms that he was a marketing tool rather than a footballer 🙂

159. ha ha Micky

Just read your comment at 6:41am, glad to see I’m not the only ex-con on here 🙂

Locked up for the night for some hanky panky though isn’t at the top end of criminal behaviour

Not in your league NB
    You do “petty violence” as a warm up act 🙂

161. Not anymore micky, I’ve renounced violence…. finally realised that it gets you nothing but grief 🙂

162. I’m still glowing from the CL draw….. Arnie’s prediction of CL winners has become a reality 🙂

Amazing the difference a week makes. Last Tues we were still picking the bones out of the worst first half I have seen from an AW team for many a year.

Now NB is talking of CL champs 😀

well done Krystals 🙂 how did you get on yesterday

NB – where is the hypocrisy?? Did I say one good word about drug crazy Fergie?? Nope. BTW – I smoke and in my day would drink you under the table. So hush

feck, did I miss story about DidIt being banged up??? nooooooo where is it? I have 10 am app with my psychiatrist, he hasn’t been feeling too good lately, needs to take it out on me. Speak later

There is a strong possibility of another all-English CL final

Who is the one player you’d grab to help us lift Ol Big Ears

Remember, you’ll have to sniff around lesser teams who didn’t qualify to avoid cup tied players, like Totnum and United 🙂

Talking of alcohol, I’ve got to take the staff out for the Christmas do this evening and it will just be the usual display of gluttony – how people behave when the food and booze is free …. bah humbug 😦

Anyone written a post for today?

Not me Rasp. Innocent 🙂

Hi Micky, you’ve bailed us out a lot recently, we may just have to settle for chatting away on LB’s post

Did someone say Coquelin has been recalled from loan?

If true, I hope this doesn’t compromise what should be our transfer window priority

Nobody’s commented on the Huawei clip I posted at 6:42 …. I though there were one or two revelations there worthy of comment …. Drogba the player he’d most liked to have signed, his Invincibles back 4 compared to the GG inherited back 4?

173. ha ha Eddie………. in your day 🙂 I’m hushed

Coquelin came on against toon Micky

Bloody hell micky, he played on Saturday.

176. 🙂 Micky testing people there about Coquelin

NB

has conquered 2500 women, so if a third support Arsenal he has the whole ticket market sewn up and will make a killing.
    He will tell you all a sob story how he just had to sleep with them to convince them to apply for tickets on his behalf 🙂

178. arnie says:

ha ha ha. motning all. warm glow! 🙂

NB. get down to the job of securing tickets! 🙂

179. Kelsey, you may think that but I couldn’t possibly comment!

These days I don’t conquer, I just sleep 🙂

180. Arnie, are you serious about travelling from the US fr the game in France? If so that’s what I call dedication to the cause 🙂

“Who is the one player you’d grab to help us lift Ol Big Ears”

Patrick Vieira

182. Morning morning

Thanks for the heads up NB about the Monaco tickets going on general sale. Here’s the link to their site

What’s interesting is that their season ticket holders can purchase up to an additional three seats plus their own. My friend has one season ticket holder in the bag just looking for a couple more and we can have an AA section lol

183. My pleasure Peaches…. I did read though that Season ticket holders who buy more than one ticket that it cannot be guaranteed that the seats will be in the same section. If my French is correct? 🙂

184. arnie says:

serious, if it is an AA contingent. 🙂 I have to put it into context. I run a centre in Edinburgh so in any case I have to return for a few days every month. Such is life! 😦

I will time one of the visits with the Monaco game if there is a contingent going. Always wanted to go to a CL away game. What better opportunity will there be? 🙂 Plus, meeting AAers and enjoying the game with them. Like the Mastercard ad, PRICELESS!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

185. Well, with Peaches and her Season ticket friend / friends and me in a position to buy locally……….. there could well be a large AA presence. As Raddy says, lets make it work 🙂

186. Raddy, how many beds at your place? 🙂 But let me make it clear, I will not share a bed with Micky ha ha……… and definitely not Transplant 🙂

I’m up for going if there’s a spare 😕

I am prepared to share a bed with any one and every one.

189. Well you Greeks invented the mixed sex orgy didn’t you? 🙂

Doesn’t Berbatov play for Monaco?

You and me in a cardboard box then TMHT 🙂

I have enough space for as many as wish to come – beds may be an exaggeration!

All I would ask is that anyone who wants to sleep at mine brings a sleeping bag. Laundry is a step too far.

We knew that already, Terry 🙂

What sort of a house is that Raddy without heating,do you use oil lamps.

Not much accomodation available in Monte Carlo .Is Lowes still there.

I agree with Micky, Monaco as a place very over rated,very small and invariably overcast even in the Summer.I believe Terry has all his money and all his clients cash stashed over there.

193. “Laundry is a step too far.”

I was hoping for a clean sheet Raddy

194. will have to get back to this later……….. things to do!

NB. 🙂

kelsey. Yes it is – very expensive and has it’s own casino.

You guys just don’t know Monte Carlo. It has hidden depth. But then I enjoy looking at beautiful gardens, beautiful cars, beautiful yachts, a wonderful and spectacular harbour, great shops and restaurants. Two fine beaches and above all else some of the most beautiful women in the world – all in a 2 sq. mile country.

Then there are the super-rich who try to “keep the years at bay”. You see some of the funniest examples of plastic surgery in the world. More toupees and weaves than Bounds Green, more fake boobs on 70 y.o women than Rio and some extraordinarily stretched faces . Mrs Raddy And I always go for a good laugh

Are you kidding about MC being overcast, I have been a few times a year from spring to autumn for over 20 years and rarely seen rain or clouds.

Two fine beaches !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea about 5 foot by 10 foot

The people actually born there can’t afford to live or run their businesses there and have to live in France.

You obviously haven’t been to Marbella Raddy. Nothing like seeing an eighty year old woman bathing topless with more wrinkles than on NB’s forehead.

Over rated yet the Grand Corniche is a spectacular drive on the cote d”azur on the way to Monaco

New Post. Short and sweet 🙂

198. arnie says:

and another one as well. pick and choose, or leave it for another day. 🙂

199. arnie says: