That’s more like the Arsenal of old.

After so many indifferent results lately, it was a pleasure not only to to see us reach the knockout stage of the CL yet again, but to see the players play out the game as a unit not as individuals. Both Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund had several key men missing, but one can only play what is in front of you.

There were several stand out performances including Gibbs, Chambers, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla and the phenomena that is Alexis Sanchez. I am sure you can all add to that list.

As I have mentioned before it is nearly impossible to second guess Wenger, and when the team was announced, there were several gasps that Sanogo was leading the line, yet within seventy five seconds, Yaya gave us that all important breakthrough. He reminds me a bit of a raw Giroud. he is strong, holds up the ball reasonably well and like one or two others needs to concentrate on his finishing. Too early to make an accurate judgement on him, but time will tell.

I was pleased for Santi, who has been woefully out of form, and his two assists for both goals were exquisite, and his all round play was excellent..

The Ox continues to impress and was unlucky not to score with a dipping volley, but his time will come.

What can you say about Sanchez. His work rate is fantastic and even if he drops out of the game from time to time he is the best attacker by a country mile,that we have signed for years. There is definitely a touch of Suarez about him, and any top side would want him in their team.

What pleased me the most was that our passing and understanding between the players was so much better than for most of this season, and I assume there were some hard words spoken to all the players after the United defeat.

Fighting for your place,is no bad thing, so perhaps Arsene will be more ruthless, but we will have to wait and see..

Chambers really is a good prospect and though another who is so young has shaken off a couple of bad performances and had an excellent game. What his best position eventually will be, is open to discussion.

The downside is that Arteta has a calf strain and by allΒ  accounts will be out for a prolonged period and that Podolski unfortunately just doesn’t cut it with Wenger on the field, but to be fair to him he gets next to no playing time.

Let’s hope we can now finally build on this result, buy a couple of class defenders in January, but more importantly get a run of several consecutive wins in the league.

kelsey

188 Responses to That’s more like the Arsenal of old.

1. aizedlittlemozart says:

just to get this in 1st…..sorry….good post kels…even tho I haven’t read it yet…

2. aizedlittlemozart says:

seeing as i’ve got the worst internet connection of all AA’ers, getting in the 1st comment must be mighty lucky no? hehe…..

off to read the post

3. aizedlittlemozart says:

sorry, can’t resist a hat-trick

4. aizedlittlemozart says:

….or a sa-4-goals

5. aizedlittlemozart says:

what’s the AA record for consecutive replies?

ok i’m really off to read the post now

Mozart. You have the record. Now stop πŸ˜€

Kelsey. Fine summation.

I hate to point this out but could the loss of JW benefit the team – we looked more solid and fluent without him. I wonder what LB thinks πŸ™‚

I can see the momentum building, the boys are starting to click. The defence were much more restrained last night and didn’t need to get into ‘gung ho’ mode.

Ox really is looking the business, he will probably keep Theo out of the team for while if he continues in that fashion.

The big question now is, does AW go all out for a win against the Turks and hope Dortmund lose, or does he just accept 2nd and play some of the reserves in Turkey?

Kelsey, from earlier, Kozzer was on the bench.

Nice Post, Kelsey, it was like reading bits out of a newspaper report – it wasn’t was it? πŸ™‚

Yes RA

I had little time so just copied and pasted the report from The Indian Daily Chronicle πŸ™‚

Correct Kos was on the bench, my humblest apologies but AW said he wasn’t going to use him, it was just to make up the numbes,as we have so many injuries.

Shard,

I read your late, late comment this morning regarding the ‘lucky’ chat you had with Rasp – which turned out to be a bit ‘unlucky’..

Attempting to be a peacemaker can be difficult.

I happen to like both you and the Rasper very much, and it is unfortunate that you both fell out over something that was intrinsically lighthearted and frankly inconsequential in the great scheme of things, and, ironically, to the interested bystander, you seemed to be arguing over something you had in a convoluted way actually agreed on. [But let’s not go back there.] πŸ™‚

From my perspective, you are both articulate, intelligent and passionate — but, dare I say it? yes, I do — πŸ™‚ you are both very sensitive to personal sleights, real or imagined.

I am sure that you are both men enough to agree, on reflection, that this was one of those things that should have been closed down by either one, or both of you, using the traditional device of agreeing to disagree which would have stopped any prickliness developing.

I have been known to do so too. πŸ™‚

Now is the traditional time for the peace-maker to get kicked in the gonads by both ‘warring’ parties. πŸ™‚ However, a word of warning – I have a mighty kick of my own, when needed. πŸ˜€

Oh stop it, Kelsey, we all know you consulted your crystal bollock and wrote that Post last week.

It’s why you suddenly turned ‘nice’ to Arsene and the team recently — crafty sod — you already knew we would win! πŸ™‚

RA

can we please leave this once and fore all., as suggested yesterday by me and others.

I suggest you e mail each other as it is detracting posters from coming on our site.
    Thanks.

RA. 10.45. It is rare I agree with you, but in this case ….. Well said

p.s. Given my advanced age and your considerable height I very much doubt I could kick you in the crown jewels.

kelsey. 326 comments yesterday suggests some were entertained by the discussion πŸ˜€

Anyway as you say, let’s leave it.

15. aizedlittlemozart says:

good one crystals.

another downside would be sanogo’s hammy getting done last night. with welbz’ knee not in good shape right now & also with sanogo’s good run of form for country, i would have loved to see him get a little run as PL backup to OG12 & a start away at turkey.

if I had been on the blog yesterday I would have predicted him scoring, not because I see something in him that no one else does (that’s AW’s thing) but because I just always do. He is the most similar striker we have to OG.

he’s big, brings long balls down & tries to get the midfielders into the game with hold up, flicks & one twos. I think he actually has better feet than OG. sad he’s injured…again.

very professional performance yesterday. Arteta is so vital to our structure I have to say. & I agree kels, he’ll be a huge miss for the period he’s out.

I predicted to my friend that we would not lose any other game till the end of this year. one down & fingers crossed! COYG!!

16. aizedlittlemozart says:

& now I have a riddle…..

if our past 3 games before last night have been “same old same old arsenal”, which “old” arsenal is crystals writing about? πŸ˜€

he wrote this post before the anderlecht home game!!

Exile,

Thank you, again, for the offer to help out with ‘keychain and passwords’ yesterday.

Trying to unclutter my mind, so I could concisely ask your opinion on some matters that concerned me, has actually helped me to understand that my ‘problem’ was of my own making, and helped clarify to myself that keychain was simply a handy way of improving password protection and in effect ‘diarising’ them without using the traditional ‘post-it notes’. πŸ™‚

At base, keychain needs a strong user ID and password and log in password for it to work securely. And that was the bit I was tussling with.

[In other words – it is working perfectly for me, just the way it was designed to, and I was making an issue out of nothing.]

P.S. I had a word with my Mac and agreed to disagree over keychain’s efficacy. πŸ™‚

Kelsey,

Give it a rest.

I did not have a problem with either Rasp or Shard, and was trying to help. And please do not email me.

Fine, flowing summary Kelsey.

I agree with it all, so not a lot of controversy from me today.

20. Big Raddy

I found it entertaining πŸ™‚

But I think the 326 comments may have had more to do with there being a game on and the general good banter that was enjoyed by all on here.

As to the question about Wilshere, I do happen to think we are better without him but I am aware that I need to be careful. There are so many Arsenal supporters who think the world of him. That old, bull dog spirit and oh, how we all love the commitment he showed by squaring up to Fellani.

Personally, I find Wilshere’s behaviour pathetic, that kind of aggression, is a throwback to 70s style football; an antiquated mentality that is still being passed from father to son in this country.
    Do you think the club or the fans of Barcelona think that is the way forward? I don’t.

On a happier note, Chambers was good last night, I thought he might go into his shell after his roasting against Swansea; but no, being allowed a break, rather than playing for England against Scotland, seems to have done him the world of good.

The Ox is surprising me as well he looked like he was going into a dip about a month ago: his passing was poor, his first touch was not of Arsenal first team standard. What changed? Oh yes, Theo is fit again. Funny how that works. Still, good problems to have as he was top draw last night.

Sanchez: before the Chilean arrived we thought that Ozil was the bees knees, before Ozil arrived Cazorla was the most talented player we had……………what on earth were we watching before that?

Sanchez was magnificent, I have said it over and over again but once more won’t hurt: he is better than Suarez and the only reason Barcelona sold him to us is because their fans demand a new signing every year and Barcelona fans must be appeased; anyway, their loss is our gain.

Did you hear that Vermaelen suffered another fresh injury this week; he still hasn’t played a game for them.

Lastly, without trying to stir the hornets nest that is Diaby, on a purely human level does anyone know what is happening with him?

Meet too, NB.

I enjoyed the day’s chat personally – when I wasn’t being ‘detracted’. πŸ™‚

23. arnie says:

Nice one, Kelsey. πŸ™‚ And to top it all, allegedly this was written a week back. was it? πŸ˜›

We celebrate differences and diversity of opinion. The more diverse and the more fierce the fights the better. Not for the protagonists, obviously, but for the general public. More of it, I say, not less!

We will cheer on. If it gets to brickbats in addition to words, even better. More cheers.

oh dear, I have started agreeing with Redders! whatver next? πŸ˜›

Randy,

I have a horrible feeling that I might not have thanked you for your pre-match Post in all the excitement, and if I failed to do so, my apologies.

I had no idea that you rarely agreed with me – but as you say you cannot reach high enough to kick me in the gongalongs – I find I do not mind. πŸ™‚

25. arnie says:

Redders. “my β€˜problem’ was of my own making”. πŸ™‚

26. arnie says:

LB. Why Barca? Are they the role models for us? just asking. πŸ˜›

27. arnie says:

I think Martinez deserves a big round of applause. The rookie GK thrust into the deep end and did everyone really proud. That is one for those that doubt our acedemy. πŸ˜›

RA

I had no intention of e mailing you,read my comment again πŸ™‚

29. poigmothoin says:

Morning
    A good report, I thought Monreal deserved a mention, solid for most of the time.
    RA are you a mac user? I have issues with mine, it seldom does what I tell it, perhaps I need to press the right keys.

Hi arnie,

That quote, ‘my problem was of my own making’ was in reference to my dissatisfaction with the way a piece of software was working.

As I tried to explain, to Exile, I examined the minutiae of the system, as it had been heralded as a big step forward, and actually it is in so far as password control and regulation is concerned.

I had expected more, and felt sure I had missed something when activating the software. Stepping back, having spoken to Exile, and looking at the bigger picture, I realised that it did ‘what it says on the tin’ and was not as sophisticated as I had led myself to believe it was.

Does that help? πŸ™‚

Poig,

The man to ask about Mac issues is Gooner in Exile. πŸ™‚

32. arnie says:

Redders. the cat is now out of the bag, and refuses to return. πŸ™‚

Arnie

I could have been Real, just picked a club that often wins the CL

arnie, you are barmy. πŸ™‚

35. poigmothoin says:

Thanks RA, the joys of being nice but dim.

LB,

I think you are correct about Jack’s reaction to Fellaini, especially as it seemed he was reacting over very little.

If we had lost the game, not because of a fluke goal, but because he had been sent off – that would have been ridiculous.

Wilshere has not had the best of seasons, altho’ he is not alone there, but ironically he seemed to be finding some better form recently.

Anyhoo, I think his absence will open up opportunities for the Ox and others, and perhaps Santi’s improved performance last night was also a response to the change in the team. We will see, I suppose.

37. arnie says:

OK, including the European Cup.

Real Madrid 10
    Milan 7
    Bayern 5
    Liverpool 5
    Barcelona 4
    Ajax 4

Among the other numpties, ManUre (3), Chavs (1) and Villa (1). Arsenal never.

Why are we respected worldwide as a club? Obviously not because of CL success. I suggest it is because we are different and play the game in a different but beautiful way, in a creative way.

Why should we be expected to follow the herd? What is wrong with a bit of aggro, so long as it is not disrespectful to our opponents? I dont understand.

It is not as if we are calling people names (like “specialist in failure”) or breaking people’s legs (like Shitecross), etc. hmmm.

Sorry Kelsey but I was disappointed with your post, as hard as I tried I could find no evidence of any doom or gloom.

What’s happened to you, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?.

39. arnie says:

Now, if it is expressing an opinion in the press about who should and who should not play for the country. Now, that is different, because it is potentially disrespectful towards others.

If it is expressing an opinion about team-mates, teh same as well. And Wilshere has done that in the past, hopefully never in the future.

arnie – here is the complete list of European and CL Cups.

1 Real Madrid -10
    19 PSV Eindhoven -1
    20 Feyenoord -1
    21 Borussia Dortmund -1
    22 Aston Villa -1

Poig,

You are right I am dim.

I borrowed the Mac from a friend here in Manchester, and I cannot get on with it.

So, it’s back to the Library’s old fashioned but straightforward PC.

42. arnie says:

Thanks GN5. πŸ™‚ I missed Forest (2) and perhaps Celtic (1) as well. Hang my head in shame. πŸ˜›

What’s wrong with a bit of aggro?

In recent times Spain have been the stand out footballing nation, did they win things be “getting stuck in”? Not in my opinion.

I suppose it is all about what you personally aspire your club to be.

As to the fact that Arsenal are a respected club throughout the world, well, I suppose we are but in those stakes we are not in the same league as Barça or Real.

44. poigmothoin says:

RA you dim? It was me I was referring to. πŸ™‚

GN5 did you mean you want our Kelsey back?

45. arnie says:

Fair enough, LB. Just difference in opinions. πŸ™‚

Here is the league table in terms of supporters.

1) Manchester United: 659 million
    2) Barcelona: 260 million
    3) Real Madrid: 180 million
    4) Chelsea: 140 million
    5) Arsenal: 115 million
    6) AC Milan: 98 million
    7) Liverpool: 70 million
    8) Bayern Munich: 50 million
    9) Inter Milan: 24 million
    10) Juventus: 21 million

Yes, I am OK with a bit of aggro, and the Lauren image springs to mind.

But not when someone has a comment about why someone else should not be allowed to play for the country. That is showing disrespect IMO.

Or when a club courts opposition players openly without any respect for that player or his club. That is disrespectful as well IMO. Arguably, we might have been somewhat guilty on this count in teh Suarez incident, but there are plenty of bigger culprits including Braca, Real, ManUre, Chavs.

But this is just my opinion. πŸ™‚

poig,

The poster is clearly an imposter, the real Kelsey would never write anything without a big sampling of doom and gloom, it’s his signature trademark.

Hi Redders, thanks for your comments but I think you misunderstand my position.

I have often ploughed a lone furrow in an attempt to keep the site true to it’s original objective and to this day, the friendship of others is still the main reward.

Everything you see on the screen from the name, the logo, to the headers, all the widgets has been originated by me. I also wrote all the tabs at the top of the page and the part about “The character and standpoint of the site is created by you, the bloggers – there is no single site owner with a drum to bang” is fundamental.

48. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Kelsey !
    I personally saw that as an anomaly result and we should be back to the Arsenal of old against West Brom !. hahaha

Now as much as I love Per Merts, I had to find out just how slow he really is, so a few days ago I travelled to London Colney disguised with my Charlie Nicholas doppelganger looks.
    I was greeted at the gate by an enthusiastic old gooner gateman with a rendition of …..” Charlie , Charlie, born is the king of Highbury !”….then a….” alright Chas, I was there when you scored the two to beat Liverpool in the League Cup final, so if you don’t mind, can you scribble your autograph on my left testicle next to the right testicle of `71 FA Cup winner Charlie George, that will give me a left and right pair of Charlies ! “.
    I travelled to the changing rooms with my fake ID, which I got from Transplant of Bounds Green, North Londons best forger ( and has proof that he really is the best forger as he showed me his fake qualifications ), but they were not needed as players came out greeting me and even complimented me that I had lived south of the border so long that I now had a proper cockney accent !.
    Out of the changing rooms in my new PUMA tracksuit ready for some running exercises !. As me and the Arsenal squad walked to the grounds to go for a 10K run , we passed the Arsenal treatment rooms, which as per usual were very busy, I could see Walcott, Arteta, Sonago, Wilshere, Ozil. Gnabry, Hayden etc` all looking out the window with large joker style grins on their faces !, on closer inspection I saw that the door to the infirmary had been taped of with a warning of ….”No Entry. Eboue Virus Containment Area ! ”
    To answer LB`s question …..as we walked further I saw a newly dug out grave with headstone of …..” RiP Diaby 2006-? ( Just waiting for the confirmation from Arsenes Euthanasia Clinic, however he injured himself before he could be injected, so they will have to wait for him to recover in rehab before he can be put down )
    We started our run in groups, Per Merts went in the first group and I went in the last group half an hour later !……5 mins in to my run I had already caught up Arshavin and he had left the club a year ago !, so I had lunch with Andrey beside a tree and talked Russian politics for 2 hours…….then back into the run I caught up Merts ten feet later !.
    So there you have it, he`s not really slow, just dead and has been since he arrived to Arsenal via Transplants Taxidermy “R” Us Clinic of Bounds Green !.

Like a lot of fans, I was pretty down about the Manure result, and the Swansea game???? shudder, shudder.

So I have to say, last night’s game was like the old days when we played so beautifully, and as a cohesive whole we attacked together and defended together.

It was thrilling stuff, and like the ManU game we played some sparkling stuff, and, unlike the ManU game, we never looked as if we would get caught out in a break away, and throw the game away.

I loved it.

How disappointing tho’ that we lost San-one-goal and Arteteteta to injury, after they played so well.

The keeper has great potential, so watch out Chezzer, the Ox, Santi, Chambers, Gibbsy, Monreal, well all of them played the way we know they can.

I am savouring it and hopefully we will have many more to come. πŸ™‚

50. arnie says:

yes, this one

51. arnie says:

and just for a bit of balance πŸ˜›

Rasp,

I don’t know how to interpret the last line of your comment – but let it be known that we are fully appreciative of all of the hard work and personal sacrifice that it has taken yourself (and others) in both creating and maintaining AA as one of the preferred Arsenal blogging sites,

Your personal contribution is huge and does not go unnoticed, the site suffered, and you were missed, when you took a well deserved time out in the summer.

We bloggers all need to make sure that our comments are in line with the site ethos – I say that in recognition that I can be very spiky.

Hi Rasper, πŸ™‚

I know after all the years that I have blogged on AA, despite my irritating manner, that you are the mainstay and key to the Blog.

Never doubted it. πŸ˜‰

You are a mature, well balanced and smart man – this is your domain, and the support and respect for you is unanimous.

Don’t know what to add to what I have already said, other than I hope you and Shard can resolve your differences.

if this incident is making you rethink your commitment to the Blog, I am sure everyone who comments here will ask you not to do anything drastic, as I fear the Blog will disappear without you. 😦

And hey — it’s Xmas soon – and Arsenal are back winning too!!! πŸ™‚

54. arnie says:

RIP Phillip Hughes

and flashback to Raman Lamba

RA – you are wrong. Rasp has done an awful lot for this blog, as listed above, but it is Peaches that is ALWAYS there. No matter what her personal problems or joys, she makes sure that this blog is up and running. All summer she has done that all on her own. And did well, considering there was no football after the WC ended.

I am not questioning Rasp’s enormous input but I think you should all know who’s the real boss – stand up Peaches.

Eddie,

At the moment I am trying to support Rasp so that he does not walk away because it is all too much.

Equally, I do not think either he nor I would deny that Peaches has a big input to the administration of AA, and there are others too, no doubt.

I have tried my best to help my friend – so I am off.

57. arnie says:

Evonne. yes, Maam. πŸ™‚

Rasp. come on, buck up. Life is too short for all that! most people on this space are spiky. and most of them are valuable as well.

The tone of some comments over the past few days, particularly those taking names, have not been nice. This is my view as an outsider. I can imagine there is path dependence/ history here, and that every person is different. Ther are some things that cannot be ignored. 😦

However, we are all grown ups, let us just kiss and make up. Please. The space is much better with all of us together. And I do not mind a kick or two on my langloids. πŸ˜›

RA – what are you talking about? Why would Rasp leave?

I might as well get me say in as well.

Firstly, I am not contracted to do the review/post match report and despite leading a rather traumatic life it gets my mind off things and most of all I enjoy it.

I try and always be consistent in my views, and today I am certainly not alone in thinking that for many reasons last night was one of our better games this season, if not the best because of the implications.

If you don’t like someones comments just ignore them and don’t reply, as it will get out of hand. I have been guilty of that myself, in the past.Though I must say
    RA, you are a strange one.Why make that comment to me:) I hope it was a joke.

This is like a virtual pub, and not everyone actually writes what they
    really mean, but I do, but generally we respect each others views and opinions.Nothing has changed since I first started supporting Arsenal, it’s just more open to express oneself via the internet.

Wilshere undergoes surgery to left ankle

Jack Wilshere has had successful surgery on his left ankle and will be out for approximately three months.

The England international sustained the injury to his ankle ligaments during the Premier League match with Manchester United on Saturday at Emirates Stadium.

An assessment with a specialist confirmed the need for an operation and the 22-year-old had successful surgery to his ankle in London on Thursday afternoon.

Jack will now commence his injury rehabilitation programme with the Arsenal medical team.

Everyone at the club wishes Jack a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back on the pitch as soon as possible.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source 27 Nov 2014

61. poigmothoin says:

Perhaps it is just as well I don’t write longer pieces, it would add even more confusion as to who said what to who and who misinterpreted it. πŸ™‚

Okay poig you confused me, when did who say what and why?

63. poigmothoin says:

GN5 πŸ™‚

Terrible news for JW.

So. Long term injuries to Ozil, Theo, Wilshire, Giroud, Debuchy, Koscileny, Diaby and possibly Arteta.

Could it be bad luck? πŸ™‚

Our players need body armor as they get no protection from the officials – as witnessed with Jack – not even a card???

I am interested about those fan stats.

How do they assess that MU have 659m fans? I just checked Facebook likes and ….

MU 62m
    CFC 36m
    AFC 31m
    LFC 24m
    MC 17m

Barca & RM 78m each

I realise this is hardly an accurate method of analysis but my guess is that the ratio’s are correct.

No way have MU more fans worldwide than Barca

67. poigmothoin says:

BR, I don’t know how they make their guestimates of fans/followers, but the premiership is shown almost worldwide and has been for a while. So I would be very surprised if Barca had more fans than Utd.

68. Bayonne Jean says:

Kelsey, you can add Martinez, Nacho, Sanogo, and Arteta to your standout list. And Ramsey was better than he’s been to this point.

The BFG did nothing wrong, though the evidence is showing that he really needs the complement of Kos to warrant his place. Jogy Loew took him out of his spot on the German national team during the World Cup in favor of the more mobile Boateng, and it would not surprise me if, eventually, AW finds has him see the bench more often once Debuchy returns to free up Chambers.

And AW deserves a standout mention for this match as well. For those who don’t think AW does any tactics-related coaching, here’s this from the Arsenal Player post-match Martinez interview:

β€œWe were working on it during the week,” he said. β€œThe boss was organising the defence to try to block counter-attacks early and I think we did a fantastic job.”

69. arnie says:

Raddy. The ManUre fan figure comes from some research that the cheats from the North-West themselves commissioned. So you have to take it with a pinch of quinine. only salt wont do.

70. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all.
    I tend to find myself agreeing quite a lot with you just lately Kelsey, The points you have pointed out in the past, and your later ones have me nodding.

Your last comment about a couple of new defenders also had me nodding in approval.

GN5 just saw your comment from the last post, It seems you and me have different idea’s for our Per Merts. You seem to think he has a use up front, well who am i to say your wrong,

I see no evidence of Per Merts being a target man, as whoever takes the corners or free kicks must be taking bad kicks as the 6′ 7 inch Merts never gets the ball.

Now i wouldn’t mind Merts going up for corners if they produced goals, but what i see just lately is on breakaways Monreal or Gibbo are on their own, The static Per Merts is never where he should be and also the last one to track back.

Now i might be an old moaner, but if you cannot do your own job, don’t make others suffer. Per Merts lack of pace leaves him as a weak link. His wayward trots forward are also not memorable, I am afraid GN5 we will just have to disagree on this one, but i don’t believe this will bother you that much, Hope your well mate.

Afternoon all. Haven’t been on in a few days so sorry for the posts I missed and thanks to those that did them.

Last night was a very professional performance against a very good side. A huge part of why I, (and probably many others), have been so p—ed off with Arsene and the club recently is because I knew that this type of performance was in there. We attacked well but weren’t, a couple of times aside, overly gung-ho. We kept things tighter and more disciplined and waited for our chances That is exactly the way to play the best sides.

It is also, IMO, the way to go when we are ahead in certain games. I still think we need to get a bit more clinical finishing out of some of our players like Welbeck and the Ox, but if you look at Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck and the Ox we are absolutely primed to be a devestating counter-attacking team when the time demands it.

Is there another team that has the players we have to launch blistering counter-attacks? And yet we have rarely used this. It is how we used to play with TH14, Pires and Ljungberg. 1-0 up and we keep it tight, draw them out and then boom a 2nd on the counter.

I actually think we could have scored a 2nd and a 3rd against Swansea from 1-0 up with keeping it tight and counter-attacking football but we committed professional suicide.

I hope that last nights performance represents an epiphany moment for Arsene because if we can play with more pragmatism and tactical nous at times then we will be a real force to be reconned with. I hope so because I had started to doubt him but there is nothing I would like better than to see Arsene Wenger finish his managerial career with us with graet success.

72. fatgingergooner says:

3 months for Wilshere, wasn’t a foul though, apparently.

Can’t get over how many injuries we’ve had so far this season. Fears of World Cup hangover have definitely come true.

It’s a good job that we have more midfield depth than any team in this league. It’s the one area where we can cope with injuries, unlike our defence.

73. The Cockie Monster says:

Interesting BR !.
    The only reason Chelsea have more Facefcuk followers than us is because they have bought the trophies, no Abramobitch …no nothing !. The same will be with Mansour City in a few years time if they carry on winning trophies !.
    More of a true comparison for them both would be if they hadn`t bought success and they would probably be at the same level as The Spuds, who laughingly ( and I`m surprise you didn`t point this out ) have only 5.7M “likes” compared to Arsenals 30.8M “likes”.
    My theory and opinion is that, had Usmanov bought out Arsenal when Abramobitch bought The Chavs, we would have got as many trophies as them and probably would have doubled our Facefcuk “likes” !.
    So really, our “likes compared to The Chavs is quite good seeing as we only “won” one trophy in 9 years compared to the amount they bought !.
    Some other clubs to add to the mix.

Bayern 24.5M likes
    Juventus 15M likes
    AC Milan 23.5 likes
    Galatasaray 13M likes

Twitter is a more level playing field ( in the EPL ) and we have the most followers….yes !….. even more than Manshafter Std !.

Arsenal 4.87M Followers
    The Chavs 4.73M
    ManU 3.86M
    ManC 2.14M
    Liverpool 3.53M
    Real 13.7M
    Barca 13.3M
    Bayern 1.67M
    Juve 1.51M
    AC Milan 2.3M
    Galatasaray 4.51M

Last but least !….The Spuds……………not even a million……961K hahaha………………however, they do have more drawings on cave walls !.

74. stevepalmer1 says:

Wilshere will have to quit football before long, He has weaknesses that will only get worse. I don’t think we should rely on our Jack for the future, as i always grimace when he goes on a run and when he hits the deck, I always expect him to be out long term.

Walcott is another that likes a bit of sick, Just over twenty and has spent most of his Present career in the Arsenal hospital. Now here we have a player who doesn’t like contact, a man who’s fragile body has been almost rebuilt, and a player that will never be reliable.

A top outfit would move these type players on, as reliability is not their forte, but of course we will stick by them, and add them to the Diaby list of hospitalized.

We can keep on with this type of player, but we will only get half a season if that from them till the end of their career’s. I say get rid of them and look for players who have a record of reliability..

75. arnie says:

Steve and Cockie. I think Jack just leaves his foot in too long. Hence the high number of ankle injuries.

“I say get rid of them and look for players who have a record of reliability”. Yes, agreed, like Giroud. πŸ˜›

76. stevepalmer1 says:

Talking about the Spuds, i see that the stumbling block of one business on their building site went up in flames the other day, Funny that as we had a listed building that was in the way of an estate near me and this building went through candle light and gas light oil lamps and then electric and when the shutters went up, it burnt down.

77. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Arnie, Perhaps we just attract people who like lot of holiday time, πŸ™‚

78. arnie says:

Steve. πŸ˜›

Steve re your 4:39

it was GIE that commented on Per Mert not me.

80. stevepalmer1 says:

My apologies GN5,

81. Shard says:

RA
    “you seemed to be arguing over something you had in a convoluted way actually agreed on.”

This is something I agree with completely. I didn’t disagree with Rasp’s conclusion of taking care of what’s in our hands one bit. Which is the only reason I even went on with the discussion. I didn’t think we were actually at loggerheads. I just felt he didn’t understand what I was saying and wanted to arrive at a consensus, that I felt was achievable. That makes no difference as to why I felt annoyed, and more to the point, hurt.

Rasp

“My objection was to Shard’s nagging persistence, his argumentative tone, his long grind-you-down comments, his habit of personalizing arguments by pasting the comments of others, his insistence on having the last word and bleating that no-one wants to try to understand his point are traits that I do not welcome or approve of in blogging. But he has received support from some of the big guns on here and so I have got the message loud and clear.”

Funny how opinions can differ since I actually felt and said, that this is a ‘fight’ that I cannot ‘win’, since there is no bigger gun than you here, and I felt like I got no support in opposition to your accusations. If anything, both RA and kelsey, backed you up.

As far as copy/pasting comments go, I only do that for purposes of clarity, though I agree I have a tendency to drift off into tangents, which is what you call the ‘grind-you-down’ comments, and indeed is the reason you have (unfairly and annoyingly) accused me of obfuscation, to date without apology or clarification.

I cannot do anything about my long comments since that is how I ‘talk’, I have already addressed the question of me wanting the last word, and I absolutely and completely reject the accusation of personalizing anything. I also reject that I ‘bleat’ about no one wanting to understand what I mean, since yesterday was the only time I ever said that, and that was in a fit of annoyance following your attack on me.

However, you have no need to defend your contribution to the site, and your importance to the blog. When it comes down to it, you are more important here than I am, and when faced with a choice of fight or flight, it is better for all if I choose the latter. So go ahead and say what you want about me. I have already said all I want to, even if it isn’t all I should.

82. stevepalmer1 says:

I see a bit of needle is occurring on this blog, I personally like this blog and i like all of the blogger’s. What i would say though, is that we are extremely fortunate to have the post writers we have. Many because they are Arsenal through and through express themselves and make comments that may not be the same as others. We are all Gooner’s with our own views, not always the same but we all want the same thing at the end of the day Arsenal at the top.

I liked the posts of GN5 of the good old days, of course he felt that many bloggers were not reading them as comments were low, but many of us know a lot more about the Arsenal than we probably would have, and it is our club afterall.

I just feel that we should all realse that somebody has spent the time to write a post and many have put themselves out with research, and i think that is top drawer,

If you don’t agree with another’s view, agree to disagree and move on, but remember that without these people we would know a lot less.

83. arnie says:

Shard. Please stay. These things happen. such is life! please see Steve’s comment. Thuis space is what it is because every Gooner can come on here and express their opinions.

Yes, different people express this in different ways. but hey! we have to live with that, dont we? Even more importantly, this enhances the value of this space. At least for me.

84. arnie says:

My suggestion is that we all AAers cut down somewhat on personalized statements, consciously, just for 15 days or so. Let’s be honest, the performance of the team has been iffy at best, and everyone is feeling a bit of a pinch. This will pass.

COYG. πŸ™‚

Piss off Arnie, you twunt.

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Outbreaks of “handbags at five paces” happen periodically here on AA and most of us have been involved in them at one time or another.

As Arnie says, the best thing is just to get back to chatting about footy, cheese, alcohol and NB’s interesting anatomical pictures.

88. arnie says:

English is a funny language. Its usage varies such a lot across the world. Believe me, the long-winding detailed arguments are a feature of Indian English.

It is coming to be accepted, in other quarters, as a refreshing new way of writing English. Is it not! Just look at the awards, Booker etc. πŸ˜›

89. arnie says:

Ah, and on that note, Rocky suddenly surfaces from behind the mountains! πŸ˜›

And so to Kelsey’s report…

A fine piece, Mr K. The only other name I would want to add in to the list of heroes from last night (at your invitation) is that of Nacho Monreal.

The little left back never asked to play at CB and was plonked in there by AW to help us through our injury crisis. I think he’s generally done very well and last night did very, very well. If you had just arrived from Mars and was watching the game without any knowledge of the players, you would have assumed that CB was his natural position.

Obviously that last point assumes that Martians have an understanding of association football… They do have one team don’t they? Mars Rovers?

Arnise – shush! I have to ‘hit and run’ before Redders notices I’m here…

92. arnie says:

πŸ™‚ Ready Steady Go!!!!!!!

93. stevepalmer1 says:

Shard, calm yourself down son, You are just as important to this blog as the next one, your contribution is very welcomed by me and most of the others if not all.

Football is in our blood and it makes us fiery, we all like to win as we do with the last word, but now and again we have to release the bone and move on.

I left my last blog because of the same reasons, and at the end of the day nothing was ever sorted out with getting the hump. I enjoy your comments and i also enjoy everybody elses if you want to argue like we all do try and find a Spuds blog and wind them up for a laugh, don’t get touchy, but your taking it to heart mate , just enjoy your blogging especially now were winning πŸ™‚

94. poigmothoin says:

arnie, English is a funny language…I raise you…Urdu/Hindi.

Arnie says: My suggestion is that we all AAers cut down somewhat on personalized statements

Yeah right. I’m 100% with Rocky on this one. Now where the hell are Raddy and Chas when you want to get personal? πŸ™‚

96. arnie says:

Poig. πŸ™‚ and in my case, Bengali! πŸ˜›

welcome back, Micky. πŸ™‚

As for you Crystals

Let’s get one thing straight. Yeah, yeah, nice right up and what not, but what’s all this rubbish you speak “I am not contracted to do the review/post match report”.

Err, sorry Pal, but bad news Matey because “yes you bloody well are”. Thing is this, you have told the world you live in Wimbledon, and any more truck from you, and we’ll have the place sectioned off in minutes and you cornered. You will sign the document.

Mind you, your excellent report aside, I must find time to watch the game, and as usual, cannot wait to see this Ox performance. My hopes for him remain as sky high as ever.

Rasp and Shard – so that’s what all this is all about? The two of you not agreeing and both of you feel you need to leave the blog?? Are you for real guys?

ffs you are both experienced bloggers, just don’t even read each other comments, let alone reply and feed the fire.

as if we haven’t had enough on our plate with half the squad out for Saturday

Arnie
    Not sure why you’ve stuck that up, other than why not, but she is one cool cat that Emma T

100. arnie says:

why not, indeed, Micky. and cool cat. and Pulp Fiction! πŸ™‚

Eddie
    Think of the injured and sick as having a rest. Doesn’t sound so bad does it, reassuring even πŸ™‚

102. poigmothoin says:

And she has just “powdered” her nose ha ha

reassuring – half the team having a rest in the middle of the season? yes, that is very reassuring indeed, good thinking DidIt πŸ™‚

where were you anyway, it gets all fecking serious in your absence

Hey Eddie
    Did you see that Ping Pong Pussies vid Chas stuck up. We’ve got one the spitting image of the black and grey one, and guess what, ours is called Eddie. Ok, full name Edward, the 11th Earl of Sidmouth, but still Eddie to his mates.

Indeed Poigmothoin πŸ™‚

Out and about Eddie, fresh air and shit. Usual thing.

Very balanced, kelsey’s brother, cheers.

A goal in the first 2 minutes even shut the moaners up, so it was a remarkably stress-free evening. Great stuff.

good name ‘Eddie’, I love it, my change mine by Deed Poll πŸ™‚

Did it shut your neighbours up Chas?

Yes, it did. πŸ™‚

As Ant said, the criticism is always based on the score, nothing else.
    If Dortmund had equalised with one of their chances in the first half, it would have started all over again.

Did you get my text , btw?

No text, but haven’t checked them for four days. Will go look now.

Chas
    No. Having said that, I smashed my phone to bits about four days ago, and bought a new one today, and it has no old texts on it. Send again if relevant or filthy.

Haha, filthy texts, whatever next.
    It was about JC’s ticket for Soton next week is all.

Did you transfer your old sim card?

Chas
    Just texted back. Not too good at that sort of thing.

And to answer your question about Old Sim, I have no idea what you’re talking about. In a shop a man with long hair, spots and body odour did things to it, if that helps.

I know there were issues because I switched from a sony telephone to apple and that seemed to upset him quite alot

I think the new iphones have a different sized Sim, but I might be wrong.
    Your technophobia makes me laugh.
    Long hair, spots and body odour sounds lovely. πŸ™‚

He’d probably not heard anyone call it a “telephone” in his whole career!

He was very nice and exceedingly patient. I didn’t get one of the very latest six ones because I found them too slippery and got more purchase when holding a five one.

Right, must go.

122. Hi all

Anyone got a post for tomorrow, send it in early please cos I’ve got a very busy day 😦

123. arnie says:

ha ha ha. the empress arrives, and silence reigns forever thereafter. πŸ™‚

124. arnie says:

A couple of days back, I had linked a live video performance by Ustad Amir Khan (1912-1974) that some of you liked. Ustab Amir Khan was among the greatest and most influential Hindustani vocalists of the twentieth century, and the founder of the Indore Gharana.

Many people believe Raga Marwa recorded in 1960 by All India Radio Calcutta is the greatest piece of Hindustani music ever recorded. It is certainly the best I have ever heard.

Unfortunately, I never saw him perform live, but my old man did so.

125. arnie says:

Mrs Arnie’s house in Calcutta is next to the burial ground where Ud Amir Khan is laid to rest. I spend some time there every time I visit Calcutta.

126. arnie says:

Very different style and the greatest singer I have had the pleasure of watching perform live. Many many times, perhaps 20.

This is a tribute by India’s state TV on his death in 2011.

Arnie
    Being a cultural Pleb, I genuinely find it fascinating that you say he has the best voice you’ve ever heard live.
    If you showed me this clip and one other, that with your knowledge and understanding you know to be terrible, and asked me which was which, I would have no clue.

Just been watching the epic 16 Seconds of Dortmund highlights on AFC site.

Great ball control from Sanogo, great intelligent inter-play with Santi, a fine and decisive move into space and a clinical finish. Impressive.

Peaches wants a post and I am a footballing blank.

Micky. Arnie’s musical post is an interesting way to start the day, and a damn sight more pleasant than the pop crap on the radio programming lists (though like you I cannot tell them apart)

Or your chosen listening of whale song and wave pulses πŸ™‚

arnie is a top bloke, but his music vids are the worst noises produced by humans πŸ™‚ they actually upset me πŸ™‚

132. Poor ol’ arnie getting some stick for his musical taste today πŸ™‚

arnie is sooo funny πŸ™‚ he knows most of us don’t appreciate his music, but so what? he still publishes a piece day after day, every morning πŸ™‚ fair play to him!

134. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Got to say Arnie, me and you have disagreed on a few things, and i know you are well travelled, and better educated, but we must disagree again, I may not know much about music but that does absolutely nothing for me, Perhaps i listened to much to The Stones and Beatles when i was young, and it has caused me hearing problems. But if it rocks your boat, and you enjoy it, it must be right for you.

135. I think arnie is probably taking the piss when he posts those Indian singers, being bottish he probably prefers that great bottish legend, Rod Stewart:

I love Bonnie Raitt. Listen to her guitar work (and lyrics) on this…

NB. Rod was born in Archway Road (I lived down the road from him) and then moved to Highgate Villas in Fortismere Road. He went to William Grimshaw school in Hornsey.

This is from Wiki “Stewart was the most talented footballer in the family and was a strong supporter of Arsenal F.C.[21][23] Combining natural athleticism with near-reckless aggression, he became captain of the school football team and played for Middlesex Schoolboys as centre-half

Scottish??? What a poser the man is!

138. Me too Raddy, I saw her at Hammersmith in the early 90’s.

139. In any case, regarding possible career options, Stewart concluded, “Well, a musician’s life is a lot easier and I can also get drunk and make music, and I can’t do that and play football. I plumped for music ..”

A quote from Rod Stewart, he got his priorities right πŸ™‚

140. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning BR, I have mates who believe they are Irish that were born in London, makes me wonder whats wrong with being English.
    I know were mugs, but i am still a proud Englishman although i don’t know why πŸ™‚

steve – ask quarter of a million of immigrants that are trying every year to come to England; some risk their lives. And you need someone else to tell you why you should be proud of being
    English??

Raddy – actually, Rod bought the house of Fortesmere road for his parents and never lived there. I lived next door for several years

I am in a feisty mood today – come on nb – publish something rude and I will bite your head off, specs included

143. SteveP

If you were born to Irish parents and family why would you want to be English? The Irish are a proud race, as are the English, but an Irishman is never going to say he is English just because he was born in London πŸ™‚

I wonder if there is a blue plaque at his house in Archway Rd?

Eddie. We must have been close neighbours. I lived in Southwood Ave and walked my dog in Highgate Woods every day for a number of years.

145. There you go Eddie, but I’ve made a promise to a certain lady that I will keep it to one pair per day….. so that’s your lot. Be feisty, I like it πŸ™‚

146. stevepalmer1 says:

That may be so Northbank, but he never ever went to Ireland to work and had his family here does that make his Family Irish as well,

147. arnie says:

motning all.

does it matter a flying fig? πŸ˜› how many of us would have advised Arsene to include Sanogo in the starting line up? πŸ™‚ yes, he is obstinate as well.

what matters most, for me at least, is not the most beautiful voice, not the best accompaniment, not the best video and lighting, not the most beautiful rendition of music created by others, but the most creative music that someone can develop on the go.

That is what separates the wheat from the chaff. That is what separates the likes of TH14 and Messi from the also-rans. Some British comedians are very good in instant creativity and innovative zeal. Otherwise, in general, relatively flat.

But then, Britain is relatively small as well.

Ha ha ha ha
    So Peaches has made NB promise to keep it to one pair a day. That has to be the greatest blogging law of all time, specifically tailored to a select minority of one.
    πŸ™‚

Arnie. We all march to the beat of a different drum πŸ™‚

Didit. I thought exactly the same.

But who started the Smut Fest? J’accuse

151. arnie says:

Notable exceptions are there, of course. Elgar and Vaughan-Williams, The Beatles (Micky’s favourite), and the like. πŸ˜›

152. SteveP

I don’t get what you are saying? Was his family English and he said he was Irish? Why would going to Ireland to work make a difference?

I know a few Irish families that were born in London, some of them have never worked in Ireland, but they are Irish. I don’t understand your logic?

153. stevepalmer1 says:

Arnie you have a way with words son, I am as confused as i was with the music, but your appreciation of it is all that matters.
    As for Sanogo he should have had a shot, he is not the answer we need, two left feet with the occasional goal is not enough you know it and so does Wenger. Give him his due he scored and chased round while he was on but his legs are dyslectic. πŸ™‚

154. yes, Micky…. who started all this Mr Smut Meister πŸ™‚

It’s unfair and frankly cruel that dyslexic is so hard to spell

Disappointed to say I have to work

Laters

NB
    Do we all get one go, or just you?

158. stevepalmer1 says:

Perhaps i never explained it very well he was born in England by Irish Parents has always claimed to be Irish but married an English girl and had his children here, would they also be Irish.

I was being sarcastic about working in Ireland.

I believe you are an Englishman living abroad but i bet a penny to a pinch of shit that you are a proud Englishman

159. Of course I am Steve, and living in a foreign country makes me even more proud to be English…. especially against the French. I never get tired of reminding them about Azincourt πŸ™‚

160. Micky

You’ll have to ask the boss πŸ™‚

We are definitely short on serious footbally writers on here at the moment. Thin on the ground, and/or lazy.

I’m a bit bored of churning out utter drivel, so will await a flash of inspiration. Better say nothing….and all that.

162. stevepalmer1 says:

You ever coming home NB, or are you exiled for certain reasons πŸ™‚

Mein Gott NB,
    We have to apply in writing for Smut Permits do we?
    Our Leaders are tightening up. Coded smut from here on.

164. stevepalmer1 says:

One in Nuts if your desperate, not very good, but will give you a chance to have a think.

165. Steve

I will be sneaking back into the UK next year. I’m just waiting for my passport to be printed in Marseille, then I can get to visit the Emirates before my time on this planet is finally called to a halt πŸ™‚

166. stevepalmer1 says:

I hope its not a top 4 game NB πŸ™‚

167. You do whatever you want Micky….. I’ll give you permission πŸ™‚

168. For the moment Steve it’s looking like the Sunderland at home game in April…. so not top four, unless Sunderland overtake us πŸ™‚

NB – you like it? Perv! Well, in that case there is no fun in it for me 😦 I need to find someone sensitive like …..

Thing is Lads, Peaches said she was off early, and Raddy has “gone to work”, so no-one to publish Steve’s post…….or monitor goings on πŸ™‚

Meeting at 10:15 for me, but I’m watching πŸ™‚

172. What are you suggesting Micky?

So Eddie, you prefer sensitive men who you can dominate?

173. btw……….. I can do sensitive if it gets me what I want πŸ™‚

174. stevepalmer1 says:

Eddie if thats you in NB’s snap, you can upset me every day πŸ™‚ I’m sensitive

175. stevepalmer1 says:

Got a feeling NB, that our Eddie is to powerful for the pair of us. ha ha

….. New post …….

177. especially when she puts the knuckle dusters on…. but actually, I think I could enjoy that πŸ™‚

178. poigmothoin says:

Don’t know if this will work, but for all with inpure minds.

179. bugger……. New post

180. poigmothoin says:

My incompetence even astounds me, damn

181. Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Spending some
    time and actual effort to produce a good article… but what can I
    say… I put things off a whole lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.