Could/should Arsenal take a leaf out of Chelsea’s book?

I have noted with interest Shard’s views on Chelsea vs Arsenal spending and how Chelsea have gone about it.

With Chelsea it’s the reverse. They spent years hoarding all the talent they could find, and even used the loan market to manipulate the league as much as they could, precisely as a result of their high spending. The reason their wage bill is now lower is because they used those hoarded, bloated assets to finance their current assets.(with a little wink wink, nudge nudge from PSG too) Basically, Chelsea could not be where they are at this moment in time without their extraordinarily high spending. They did plan for FFP very well. All the same, they can’t do the same thing again if FFP works, which is good.

So yeah, say Arsenal have a higher wage bill than Chelsea’s, but it takes time to make the money count. It isn’t a situation unique to us either.

Mourinho has made some big decisions about losing certain big players (Mata and Luiz) to get the balance he wants in the side. He saw a surplus in certain areas and deficiencies in others and looked at what he could reclaim from selling off players in positions that they are already well covered in. It was smart business and basically funded Cesc and Costa.

My question is have we got surplus areas where we could secure extra funds to add to the transfer budget to get the world class players we need in other positions? I think on players like Podolski and Campbell and possibly even Santi. With the former 2 likely to leave anyway IMO I would also I would ask have we waited too long to get maximum value from said players? Was the summer the right time to sell some of these players to get maximal funds back?

Even with our new spending power I still don’t see us as a club that can lose significant transfer funds on player sales and I wonder if we have not played the market properly.

Written by GoonerB

129 Responses to Could/should Arsenal take a leaf out of Chelsea’s book?

Re- Posted from the end of this morning comments
    …………………………………………………………………

GunnerN5 says:
    November 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm

To Rasp.

The thoughts of an Old Gunner.

AA one of the only blogs that I contribute to, or care about and the type of comments that have been directed at you in the past few days leaves me saddened.

Even though I have previously been guilty of making negative comments to yourself and Peaches I want you both to know that I have the utmost of respect for both of you.

It’s only through your joint foresight and industry that AA is a site where diverse views can be expressed without fear of retribution or censorship. That is as long as ones views are stated in accordance with the all important “Peaches Mum Rule”.

AA is an important part of many of our lives and brings us a great deal of joy and that is entirely due to your good selves.

Long may it continue…………

Thanks again GN5 😛

And thanks to GoonerB for today’s question.

I think we played the transfer market pretty well during that you have termed ‘the austerity years’. The manager and the club knew it would do no-one any service to publicise that we actually had to make a small profit in those times in order to balance the books – that would have undermined our bargaining standpoint in any potential deals.

It looks like we will be doing exactly what you say (= sell to buy) as FFP is having an effect on us all. Clearly we now have more to spend, but one thing is for sure, we still cannot (and probably will never be able to) compete with Chelsea, City or Manu in terms of buying price and wages, but we have shown with the signing of Sanchez that there are really good players out there in our grasp – we now need to target the right ones to strengthen our team.

Laurence Binyon (1869-1943), the poet and art critic, was born in Lancaster in 1869. He worked at the British Museum before going to war, having studied at Trinity College, Oxford where he won the Newdigate poetry prize. Whilst on the staff of the British Museum he developed an expertise in Chinese and Japanese art.
    Sponsored Links

Aside from his best known poem For The Fallen (1914), most notably the fourth stanza which adorns numerous war memorials, Binyon published work on Botticelli and Blake among others. He returned to the British Museum following the war. His Collected Poems was published in 1931.

………………………………………………………………………………………….

For The Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
    England mourns for her dead across the sea.
    Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
    Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
    Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
    There is music in the midst of desolation
    And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
    They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
    They sleep beyond England’s foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
    Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
    To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
    As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
    Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
    As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
    To the end, to the end, they remain.

4. Shard says:

wally (from the previous post)

If you have a Mercedes, you find it easier to trade up to a Lamborghini (if you want to)

If you’ve been driving a Ford Focus for 10 years, it’s tougher to go straight to the Lambo. Even if you get the money to buy it, you can’t afford the tyres, the fuel, everything. Especially if you are still paying the mortgage on the previous car which served you well even if it didn’t go at 150mph.

Make of that analogy what you will.

But coming onto GoonerB’s post. It’s a great point. Could we have sold more players. I believe so, yes. However, one, it would add more flux to the squad situation which as it is has gone through a few changes. But I do think we could have gotten away with one or two more changes.

I think the second part is more circumstantial and less to do with our desire. I think there were reports that we were willing to let Podolski go before Giroud got injured. Also with Campbell, I do believe (like kelsey) that the best time to sell him was just after the world Cup. But selling them is one thing, who do we get in return?

My guess is the players we wanted were not available this year, at least at a realistic price (Reus/Draxler?) or did not want to come to us (Griezzmann?) So selling those players would just reduce squad depth, while not offering us an upgrade in quality. Similarly in midfield, with Flamini, Diaby, Rosicky, and perhaps Cazorla (though I think he will stay) Our reported targets were Gustavo, Bender, maybe Khedira. Not one player of the sort we seem to be looking for moved in the summer. So while we are ready to trade, the upgrade wasn’t available. So we go with what we have. Defense is where we messed up by letting Vermaelen go without signing a replacement, and perhaps also by letting Jenkinson leave.

Chelsea’s case is a little different though. They’ve always had more players than they intended to use. They bought players to keep them away from their rivals (Mata from us, Willian from Spurs, Saleh (and Moses?) from Liverpool etc), they bought all the young players they could and the better ones were loaned out to teams that would take points off their rivals (Lukaku prime example), and indeed sold Mata to a desperate ManU after they had played them twice, but still had to play us and City.

They spent all the freebie years of FFP hoarding talent, and then from last season sold Mata, Luiz, and De Bruyne for big sums. Sold Lukaku, who they bought as a teenager for 18m , but who never really played for them, for 30m, and cleared their bloated wage bill by players running down their contracts (Eto’o, Lampard, Cole), or being sent out on loans till their contract ends (Torres) They still have players like Marko Marin, Thorgan Hazard, Chalobah, Moses etc out on loan.

If we had the money to hoard talent like Chelsea did then we could say we missed a trick. But we didn’t, so it’s moot. City should be the ones kicking themselves for not doing what Chelsea did, but City seemed to believe they could ride roughshod over FFP. The good news is, it seems they can’t, and if so, then Chelsea can’t repeat what they did either. (Unless they have a ‘special understanding’ with Uefa *cough..Gazprom..cough*)

GN5,

I have been intending to compliment you [and kept getting distracted] on the number of articles/posts you have put up over the last two days referring to the commemoration of the Great War and the sacrifices made by so many young men and women in 1914/18.

Well done, sir, and it brings the whingeing over a football match into true perspective.

6. Shard says:

I think the planning behind Chelsea’s dealings was not Mourinho, rather their CEO. The guy they took from ManU (I forget his name) Why didn’t Chelsea buy Cesc and Costa last year? They clearly had a need for them? Because they couldn’t afford to under FFP and they weren’t available.

Waiting for targets to become available is something all teams have to do sometimes. We are no different, and now it just remains to be seen if we can finish off the job in the next few windows. That would mean players leaving on free (Diaby, Flamini) players being sold (Podolski, Rosicky? Cazorla? Campbell) and those positions being upgraded on in a manner that will help us in reducing the average age of the squad, and perhaps even the wage bill. (An aging squad bloats the wage bill. City will find that out, but to get around it they have their clubs in the US, Australia, Japan etc. A nice vacation place of choice for their pensioners who get to keep their high wages as City offload them outside of FFP jurisdiction using their own money)

7. Shard says:

RA

I am an argumentative sod indeed, but I think of many of the posters here as friends (yes, you among them) and have a lot of respect for even more. The reason I am inclined to not get too involved in commenting much is not what Rasp said about Wenger, but what he indicated about me. As kelsey made clear, this site is indeed Rasp’s baby. I have no intention or desire to challenge him on anything. He is someone I respect, which is why his opinion makes a difference to me.

Shard,

I agree with the above.

In principle, the selling of TV5 without ensuring we had a replacement (tho’ Chambers may have been intended to be that player.) was a faux pas – however, in practice, as he has been injured ever since we sold him, he would not have helped us in our current predicament.

RA,

It’s in my heart and soul. Unbelievably my Dad lost his Father, eldest Brother and two Sisters within a month of each other during WW2, my Dad was also injured and spent 6 months in hospital.

Being a sentimentalist I will follow my own personal tradition today at 11:00 am – I will stand at attention in front of pictures of my Grandad, Father and Uncle in their uniforms.

Hi Shard, Kelsey was joking, this is not my site, it is a cooperative effort where everyone plays a part – by just commenting bloggers are participating.

You put your finger on it, we are friends with a common interest.

I want you to know that I have put the other stuff behind me and I am delighted you continue in your own inimitable style – I hope you feel the same 🙂

I saw Kelsey’s response to you and it was perhaps not helpful. (altho’ he wrote it with a smiley).

Neither Rasp nor Peaches would have said to you that it is their blog, ‘so take it or leave it’. That is not their way.

Try not to be too sensitive – and altho I did not see Rasp’s comment, I know him well enough to say it would not have been intentionally unkind.

In fact, in a subsequent comment he made, that may have been related, indicated that written comments made on a blog are unable to carry the multifaceted nuances of what was intended by the writer, as would have been clear if made face to face in a pub atmosphere instead.

You are well liked and respected – so onwards. 🙂

Well, blow me down, Rasper was there all along! 🙂

That is very sad, GN5, and there are so many stories like that.

11 a.m., as you will realise, has long passed here in the UK, and I was touched at the respect shown by shoppers and businesses at the appropriate time.

Shard
    That 2:40 is just superb.

15. Shard says:

Oh dear. kelsey is getting the blame. I did know kelsey was joking, and as much as he finds it hard to believe, he’s among those I have immense respect for, even though he exasperates me sometimes.

Rasp. I don’t hold a grudge against you. I really don’t. I was just hurt to learn that you seem to find me insincere or duplicitous in intent. Unfortunately, letting go is not one of my strengths. Anyway, this has gone on too long. We are where we are. Let’s move on from talking about it. I’ll deal with my own issues the best I can.

I made a comment elsewhere, slightly tongue in cheek, that we (that is to say Mr Wenger) should seriously consider a clear out in the summer of all the players who are in some way peripheral to the needs of the team.

Of course that could/would lead to the devil’s own arguments as to whom that ‘peripheral’ term applied, but I further qualified it by saying that all of our squad players are by definition skilled, so we can take that as a given.

Imagine, if you will, that if we had a blank sheet and we entered the names of those players we already have who we would find difficult to better in the ‘market’.

That too is subjective, but what the hell.

Now introduce the player who are not available in the squad or who do not give the team the functionality it requires.

To start the ball rolling I suggested that the midfield presented rich pickings for players we could improve on, and also some other defense or attack minded players, and leaving club loyalties aside, there are better players ‘out there’, or because of age, unsuitability, or too similar in style or physique to another better squad player..

Let’s say,for the sake of argument, Diaby, Rosicky, Cazorla, Wilshere, Gnabry, Podolski, Campbell, Arteta, Flamini and Monreal.

Gasps of horror — that is almost a full team.

OK, I am not naive and such a draconian clear out will not happen in the summer, but if it did, it would make a hell of a transfer chest for replacements, and also make plenty of room in the salaries department.

Who the replacements are going to be, or whether the suggested list of ‘outgoing’ players is all encompassing enough or correct in other respects would be up to individual bloggers.

The main objection appeared to be that even half that number would cause to many waves in out stability etc, and then I mentioned that most of the footie guys I had spoken to at the end of last summers transfer shenanigans thought that having ‘gutted’ their team, S’hampton were scheduled for the drop — but, ooh, look, they are right up their with the Chavs.

Preconceptions are often just that – as well as being bollix. 🙂

So, GoonerB, I have given you more questions than answers, I suppose. 🙂

3 games moved to Sunday for TV.
    A couple of Home games at 1.30pm and Citeh away at 4pm.

18. Kelsey says it as he sees it…. more power to his elbow, or whatever he wants to call it. Exasperating at times but always honest. 🙂

GB

My thoughts on your post/comment is that we should be looking to offload a few players this season and get fresh blood in. However, it would be a shame to see Poldi and Campbell go, but Wenger hardly ever uses them so as far as I can see they are surplus to requirements. Santi I’m not sure about, we can all see that he is not the player he once was but AW keeps playing him, so not sure what will happen there.

Chelsea and Mourinho are ruthless with their transfer dealings, I’m not sure Arsene could be that cold and calculating. We also have the added impediment of the wage structure, if it still exists at the club? Are we being priced out of the market by keeping the wage costs at a certain level.

These are areas of discussion where my knowledge fails me, so I’ll just play a song which sums up where I am with this type of discussion:

19. fatgingergooner says:

The amount of business we did in the summer, and the amount that is still to be done, shows that this was never going to happen in 1 season.

Wenger did brilliantly in the summer by getting Welbeck, Sanchez, Chambers, Ospina and Debuchy, but there is still a need for a CB, a LB, a HM and a CM, aswell as plenty of sales to sort out (Rosicky, Monreal, Cazorla, Podolski, Diaby if he’s still alive!).

I think the sales could generate £20m which if we can add another £50m would give Wenger a decent wedge considering only the CB and HM need to be first 11 quality. The other positions can be youngsters with potential.

One area I wouldn’t question Wenger too much is in the transfer market. His only sin there tends to be the number of players he leaves himself with, rather than the quality of them. The prime example is the loan deal for Jenks. How I wouldve loved him at RB and Chambers in the middle for these last few games.

One other point to make is I wonder if Monreal is playing because AW doesn’t like Chambers or Merts at LCB. Both seem suited to RCB and I think Monreal does give more balance. Might be a reason why he’s getting the games instead of Bellerin. Still, if it was up to me I’d rather have my weakest player at RB than in the centre of defence, so id start Bellerin with Chambers more central.

GN5 @ 2:55 Like you, I take Remembrance day seriously. I was sorry to hear your family suffered so many losses. My parents both fought in WW2 and I grew up hearing their tales of bravery and loss. Were your aunts caught in the blitz in WW2 if you don’t mind me asking?

hey Rasp – something good came out of our little spat today – one of the AAers found a long lost childhood friend! Isn’t that marvellous 🙂

22. aizedlittlemozart says:

thanks for the comment post GB.

Shard I was going to point out TV’s injury that hasn’t let him play a single minute for barca this season but “the sage(wise man not lettuce) has pointed that out.

so, just as TV was cover for both CB & LB, chambers is for CB & right back. sounds about even for me.

I have a thought as regards our transfer dealings this past window.

since RVJudas left, our signings have been of significant quality. non of that chamack, Gerv malarkey. our most arguable acquisitions quality wise have been on a free; flamini, sanogo & maelstrom.

we’ve spent money on top, top, tip top quality! Ozil & Alexis leading the pack. all have produced when called on.

now my real thought…..

going by the quality of strikers we approached (seemingly) last 2 summers (higuain & suarez) I don’t think welbeck would be an arsenal player had OG12 not gotten injured. of that i’m convinced.

I think we made his deal permanent cos of his age & nationality. if he doesn’t make it & we ever need to flog him, his being English would mean we still get good money for him (the caroll effect).

thoughts over.

as for the DM/HM & CB(?), I feel we did not/ could not get the required quality we wanted. & really none of any great quality moved this past window. I have a barca fan friend who is still livid about the vermaelen buy hahahaaahaha!!!! Xabi Alonso said he’d not return to the EPL so….

I have my eyes on next summer’s window. as I believe it’ll still be difficult to get the real top top quality defensive recruitment in January. we just have to hang in there this season. Southampton for me have a false league position having not played most of the top teams..their fall out of the top 4 will be swift & sure (I hope). we could/should make top 3.

lucky for us manUre have also lost continuity of chemistry with all their injuries too.

ai-zed out (for now) [where’s BR?]

23. RC78 says:

Surplus at the club:

– To be sold or to get rid of ASAP: Coquelin, Miyachi, Monreal, Flamini, Rosicky, Diaby

– To be loaned out ASAP: Afobe, Sanogo

Gap analysis:

– GK: PiG, Ospina, Martinez > We are “OK”

– RB: Debuchy, Jenkinsons > We are “OK” but would be better off with Coleman or Lichtensteiner ahead of Jenkinson…

– LB: Gibbs, Monreal > We are “not OK” as Monreal is not fit for the EPL jouts.

– CB: BFG, Kos, Chambers > We are “not OK” as we are too short in numbers and pace. We would need at least one more CB.

– HM: Flamini, Arteta, Coquelin > We are “not OK” as Flamini and Coquelin do not perform. As for Arteta, he is a smart player and makes a good cover but we definitely need a real HM.

– M: Ramsey, Wilshere, Diaby, Rosicky > We are “not OK” since they get injured a lot and since only one is reliable to be really good consistantly when fit, ie: Ramsey. We would need to invest in at least one more OR to turn OX into a Midfielder…and we can get rid of Diaby and Rosicky, too often injured…

– OMC: Ozil, Cazorla > We are “OK” as long as we can keep both of them fit…They bought need to really step up though…

– Wingers/Forward: Walcott, Gnabry, Sanchez, Ox, Miyaichi > We are “OK” but we can get rid of Miyachi

– Strikers: Wellbeck, Giroud, Podolski, Campbell, Sanogo > We are also “OK” but we can definitely loan out Sanogo

Priority areas:

CB, LB, HM

Secondary areas:

RB, if we get rid of Jenkinson
    MC, if we get rid of both Diaby and Rosicky
    Stri, if Podolski and Cambell leave us

Hi Eddie, yes I heard about that – small world 😛

25. RC78 says:

To be fair, we are only 3-4 players away from being a very competitive squad.

As mentioned yesterday, bring me Garay (St Petersburg) at CB, De Sciglio (AC Milan) and Gustavo (Wolfsburg) and we are all of a sudden looking like a solid squad. All three are realistic targets as Arsenal should look more attractive than their current clubds although Gustavo snubbed us once already…

PiG – Debs, Garay, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Gustavo – Ozil – Walcott, Wellbeck, Sanchez

Ospona – Jenkinson, BFG, Chambers, De Sciglio – Wilshere, Arteta – Cazorla – Ox, Giroud, Podolski

First team extras: Martinez, Zelalem, Gnabry, Campbell, Sanogo

Youth team promising talent: Bellerin (am not sure but…), Galindo, Akpom

We can probably get this squad in January…Garay would be expensive but worth it.

Hahaha. Been away for a bit and just spoke to rasp who told me my comment had been used for the post. I wasn’t aware of it till he told me.

‘But you accepted my request to use it’ said rasp. Chas you cheeky little devil you.

Will comment more a bit later as i hate commenting from my phone.

Very good analysis, RC78, and I broadly agree with you. 🙂

28. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Before i comment on Gb’s post, I would just like to comment on the eleventh Hour, At work and as the clock chimed, i stood up i was going to have my minutes silence, although i have respect for the fallen, i have to question the government of the day, while the politicians all try and look good in the media, they let terrorists into the country who openly murder veteran soldiers. They take us into wars with foreign countries in the guise of weapons of mass destruction they overthrow the governing body and their leader take control of the oil fields stick in their own government without a sign of weapons of mass destruction.

Many soldiers lost their lives for what in all honesty, is nothing to do with us, and then our government wants to honour the fallen, Hypocrites and downright liars.

As i said i was listening to the chimes when our only Kosavon came up and started talking, Naturally i ignored him, but he still continued to talk, and when he saw i would not answer he said Oh you are silent for a minute i see.

What annoyed me, is it meant absolutely nothing to him. Whether they do anything like that in his country i don’t know and if i speak the truth i don’t really care, but it means a great deal to a lot of us and they should learn very quickly or leave this country. Rant over.

Copy Chelsea GB, bit late for that, they have had a dozen Managers, spent a fortune in bungs, stopped the smaller clubs because they brought every one and has a Russian owner who cares very little for anybody but himself.

Copy their ethics no i don’t think so, copy their present Managers football tactics, why not, they haven’t lost a game yet, how can we fault it.

Should we sell some, yes we should, who should we sell, No point in us picking any, because Wenger loves them all. But when we buy in January please no more Midfield dwarfs.

What’s all this about a long lost childhood friend?

GoonerB
    It was a WordPress glitch which put your username over mine. Bloody useless thing. 🙂

Funny that about copying Chelski.
    I even said to Ant after the Anderlecht game that I wished at 3-0 we could lock down a game just as the chavs do, quickly adding, of course that I didn’t want to play like them. 🙂

I’d take their results though, Steve.

31. RC78 says:

While I think that Man City has the best overall squad in quality and quantity, the most balanced squad is the one of Chelsea…From the start, they were the two favorites to land the EPL and I think that we were the third favorite and rightly so…Now for some reason, City is struggling but it is temporary and they will soon be back to their wining ways. The questions are:

– Will Chelsea finish undefeated? I HOPE NOT!
    – Will Chelsea manage to keep a lead large enough to land the EPL? Probably
    – When will City get back to its winning ways? I dare say mid-December.
    – Will Arsenal finish third? Let us hope so
    – Can Man Utd and Liverpool turn around their season as well? Most likely…
    – When will Southampton drop points? From December onwards…for sure
    – So who will finish top 4? Chelsea, City, ?, Arsenal

chas,

not quite a long lost childhood friend but a close friend who went to Highbury together but lost touch with each other some 40+ years ago.

33. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Chas, Yeh me too mate,

The young Lady who felt she had been insulted, hold your own girl, you are entitled to your opinions, please do not pack up.

We all disagree at times but we should never let it get personal. If we cannot see eye to eye on certain things agree to disagree or do what most do to me and ignore my comments. This Lass is a true Gooner, she hurts at the moment, and i know where she is coming from, she is entitled to express her views without abuse.

Many old Gooners are quick to say that abusing Wenger or the players should be a no no, it should also be a no no to abuse one another.

34. fatgingergooner says:

Southampton upcoming fixtures:-

Villa a
    CITY h
    ARSENAL a
    UNITED h
    Burnley a
    EVERTON h
    Palace a
    CHELSEA h
    ARSENAL h
    UNITED a
    Newcastle a
    Swansea h

They are playing really well and have nothing to be scared of, but that is a killer run over Xmas and new year! Expect them to drop rapidly.

Kels – that’s what I said – childhood friend – 40+ years ago you were just a nipper. He is still a Gunner. First thing he noticed was the Arsenal dog leads hanging outside the door, he liked them 🙂

Bring back George Graham.

37. The Cockie Monster says:

I abuse Arsene all the time !……only this morning my barefoot went forward and caught the bottom of the bathroom door before I could open it far enough !……” Fcuking Arsene ! “. hahaha

RC78……no doubt that Chavs will win it and may do it undefeated, but even if they lose a few, they are on course for a record total !, which imo is more important than being undefeated !. We may salivate with an air of proud smugness at being the “Invincibles”, but points is what counts as technically a team could go undefeated all season in drawing every game and be relegated !. The Chavs twice beat out “Invincible” teams total of 90 points with 95 and 91 points in 05 and 06 which is a fact and makes them better !. Sorry to damper the evening with facts, but I`m the one with the bruised toe !. hahaha

38. RC78 says:

TCM – I agree with you about the total points…Yet, I like the fact that we won a league undefeated 🙂

G5 – thank you for the post. I was wondering how come that Chavs have 26 players on loan – you explained it well to me, cheers.

Sadly, we seem to be doing the opposite, ie hoarding unfulfilled talents like Park, Ryo, Sanogo or Frimpong. I do realise that our ‘purchases’ are a fraction of what Chavs paid for their players, but still, perhaps we could do better in the transfer market. Peter Kanyon is the Chelsea dude; I know someone who knows him

bloody hell shard – how do you know all the nitty gritty?? That is an absolutely amazing knowledge. Do they do Mastermind topic The Arsenal? I am dead serious

Oh evonne,now you have blown my cover 🙂

kels – I did indeed 🙂 I was soooooo happy I found your friend 🙂 what a small world, ey? He is handsome you know, lots of silver hair

Still no answer about the childhood friend. 😦

Bring back Bertie Mee.

So you went dog walking with someone kelsey used to know when he was at the kennels. I’m confused.

no chas, how would we get on the subject of Kelsey while dog walking?

Right, not having to comment on the phone any-more. Some good comments on my post that I didn’t realise I had submitted 🙂

Thanks to GN5 as well for keeping things poignant and in perspective.

My comment was primarily aimed at whether we had maximised what we could have in player sales for those players that are more peripheral, (I prefer redders word to my “surplus”), in areas that we are well covered in. Are there a few that would have been a more lucrative sale in the summer and will now not bring as much back in if they are sold. Podolski and Campbell I just used as examples as they are hardly featuring and must have had some value this summer. Even if the sales funds were not fully used in the summer then it could have been added to what would have been made available in Jan.

I get Shards point that Chelsea had peripheral players of a greater transfer value due to their collecting high value players before FFP really kicked in, and I wasn’t really expecting us to compete with this, but could we still lose a significant amount on some of our saleable assets, (who are mostly peripheral to the team), this summer just gone as oppose to next summer?

I actually don’t know that answer as I suppose it is down to factors like whose stock was high in the summer just gone that may have now dwindled slightly, and whose contract is now winding down to a level that the return on any sale will be a lot less a year on. I was hoping some of you guys had the info on that (GIE…). IMO anything that can go back into the transfer funds is only beneficial.

On the summer transfer market as a whole I think we started really well but then didn’t finish the job properly. We left ourselves short on experienced / quality options in certain positions. I actually agreed at the time that the TV sale at £15m was excellent business with his recent injury record, but we did still have a lot of time to add another CD. It seemed to me that we wanted to wait till deadline day in the hope of getting a knock down priced CD only to find that no-one was playing ball. It looked like poor management of the situation to me, and a habit that I had felt we were leaving behind.

49. Shard says:

GoonerB

It’s not always entirely accurate, but you can see when contracts expire on transfermarkt.

50. Shard says:

One way in which I wish we could replicate Chelsea was the way they’ve managed to have Costa and Fabregas both play most, or all, of their last match against Liverpool, and still have them withdrawn from the Spain squad due to injury.

Shard, the 3 that would bother me are the trio of Santi, Podolski and Campbell, 29, 29 and 23 respectively. At those ages with 2 years on their contract what is their value. At 30, 30 and 24 with 1 year only left will they drop significantly in transfer value?

54. Barumgooner says:

Nice post. I dont believe we should be selling at all though. We have had to endure years of a pretty good first 11 with a bench full of very average players. We now at last have a good squad full of more than capable players who are not being managed properly. Do not sell potential match winners like santi and pod,play them and use them correctly. I’ve said it before and i will say it again,as much as i detest the man if mourinho were at arsenal and aw were at chelsea our positions would im sure be reversed.

55. fatgingergooner says:

I think players value will drop for next season, but you look at the sale of Vermaelen to see the risk you run when trying to get top value. Sometimes it’s worth losing £5m or so to make sure you are covered in those areas.

It’s easy to say now but someone like Alderwiereld or Nastasic would’ve been ideal for us, but if we’d got them in the summer we would’ve been questioning how often they’d play. Injuries are a nightmare for us every year, it’s so frustrating that we don’t get a good run at the title with a fit squad.

56. fatgingergooner says:

Barumgooner,

If you swapped the managers but the injuries were the same as they have been for both sides then I think Chelsea would still be running away with it but we would be a bit closer as Mourinho may have ground out a few more points with his defensive tactics. Wenger would still win the league though imo

57. wally says:

Shard,
    Your analogy while amusing doesn’t describe the situation.

Has Chelsea stockpiled players? Not really. Those players came, played, some a bit some a lot, and ultimately were determined surplus to needs. Save Willian, who gets plenty of playing time, they’ve all been moved on. And so what. It provided them with some money to buy other players. Money in money out. They got better prices because of inflation and teams desperate to move ahead but in no way was that the plan 3-4 years ago.
    And in the end it’s irrelevant. They still have a talented team that they have to pay. We have a talented team as well who we are also paying. We have the same number of players as they do in their first team. On the simple basis that money spent equals production then we haven’t spent well have we.
    Or maybe we have spent well but mou has just coached his team up better than our manager has coached his team up. And that’s a simple fact.

58. Barumgooner says:

Fair point about injuries but unfortunately i believe arsenes time has come. He did amazingly well for us especially during the barren years where he kept us in fourth place with very minimal assets. He managed to get good results with players like senderos,denilsen, eboue, cygan etc and has made the club money and kept them around the top. However i think in that time he has got used to mediocrity and has maybe lost the drive to inspire players and influence the game.

59. Barumgooner says:

I think tactically mourinho would recognise our failings and adapt to suit the opposition as well as playing to our strengths. As we know wenger doesnt vary his tactics ever. Whether it be chelsea or burnley, with a fully fit squad or racked with injuries he will just go out the same way and never change.

60. RC78 says:

I think that to win a league, you need a group of 25 quality players but with a core of 18 that really play most of the games…

The starting XI plus 7 players, 2 per line and 1 GK….

You look at Chelsea, they play the same starting XI day in day out despite having to play on all fronts…In the EPL, it s the same sarting XI barring injuries…

61. arnie says:

lovely day’s blogging. thank you GoonerB, thank you all!! 🙂

Nice solemn thoughts, GN5 and Rasp and everyone.

Still knot ear!

62. JM says:

I’d say the senior management behind the scenes for Chelsea holds key to their commercial dealings and transfers internationally.

Former CEO: Ron Gourlay (2009-2014), was also a former executive at Man Utd and Umbro.

Directors:

(a) Marina Granovskaia (quoted as “Chelsea’s fixer”, Abramovich’s trusted left hand woman, and one of the most powerful women in world football)
    – in association with Chelsea’s “training” club, Vitesse Arnhem.
    – links with Truphone US (commercial dealings etc)
    – directed deals for the return of Jose Mourinho (via Jorge Mendes of Gestifute), and signings of Diego Costa via same player agency; covert ops in hijacking Willian, Mata, Hazard from direct competitors, among other high profile signings.
    – negotiating deals for 20+ loanees to “satellite” clubs around Europe (e.g. Belgium, Holland, Germany, Spain, Portugal, etc)

(b) Eugene Tenenbaum (Abramovich’s trusted right hand man, director @Highland Gold Mining Ltd., MD @Managing Director at MHC Services Ltd)
    – bringing in the commercial, sponsorship side alongside previously former CEO Ron Gourlay and now with their commercial head, Christian Purslow. (e.g. Samsung, adidas, Audi, Gazprom, Delta airlines, Singha Beer, Rotary timepiece, EA Sports, Sauber F1 team, Azimut Hotels, Hackett London, Coral online betting partner etc)

(c) Michael Emenalo (Technical Director)
    – scouting of 1st team signings and academy programs, initial contact for player transfers. (e.g. Courtois, Zouma, Salah etc)

As for the backroom staff:

They have 2 fitness coaches, 1 medical director (maybe he makes a difference) and 1 lady team doctor (she too), 1 chief spymaster (along with his associates) among others.

Nothing too different from us, except they have a couple of years headstart in managing the fitness and injuries of players, while we only recruited Forsythe this season.

63. fatgingergooner says:

There has to be an issue with the way we train and manage our players fitness. It can’t just be bad luck or weak bodies that sees us top the injury list season after season.

Someone mentioned how Chelsea play the same XI for most games and that helps them, if only we had the chance! At one point we had about 8 players missing at once and have already had/got medium to long term injuries to Walcott, Koscielny, Debuchy, Ospina, Arteta, Giroud, Özil, and it’s only November!

All of those except Ospina are first XI players!!!!

yes Fat, it has to be. if it was down to physio as some suggested it would simply mean longer recovery times. The fact that they are mostly muscular rather than bone problems is another proof that the training methods are not appropriate.

I remember Szczesny’s ex-girlfriend (one of many) telling me that they only train for 2 hours a day. I was surprised, I thought it was at least half a day

hold on a second – I have just checked the injuries table in EPL and we are in a respectable 5th, below ManU (RvP is injured ooooooooh), Everton, Stoke, Newcastle, not very different from other teams. Even Fabregas otherwise known as The Dead is injured 🙂

Morning
    It is frightening to think the 5 richest people in the UK have a combined wealth which is the equivalent to 12 million people also living in the UK (is micky one of them 😉 )_

67. What Kels… is Micky one of the 12 million poor bastards? 🙂

68. Revolution… decapitate 5 to save 12 million from poverty

69. The last person guillotined in France was in 1977. In fact there were two in one day… what fun eh. 🙂

Glad i have had my breakfast already.

Anyway you can’t fool me NB this is an early Carry On film 🙂

I hope Wenger wasn’t watching 🙂

71. Eddie, I think Chelsea have fewer injuries because the players are too afraid to go to the club doctor, Eva Carneiro, they don’t want to be seen as wimps in front of a woman and complain about having a little twitch 🙂

72. Eddie,

Th etable is misleading because it only shows how many players are injured rather than the number of days. A lot of our injured players wont be back until about January, which is a massive loss.

Last season we had over 1700 days of injuries compared to Chelsea at 556! Even if you take Diabys 280+ days out we are still top of the table for last season

Bloody hell. if that was me I would be injured all the time 69. Probably from Groin strain

74. Did you know that Eva Carneiro worked at the Islington Public Health department before working at Chelsea. Why wasn’t she scouted then by us??

Let’s face it, we’re shit at everything.

Here’s one for Micky on his manoeuvres………

Gary O’Driscoll – “Now in his fifth full season at Emirates Stadium, Gary provides high-level medical expertise for the first team, under-21s and academy – and is on hand at all fixtures involving Arsène Wenger’s team, too.

Gary joined Arsenal having spent six years as doctor for the Ireland rugby team – during which time he was Official Doctor on two British Lions tours”

Are our injuries his fault?

BTW – Barca are already regretting buying the fragile Tommy V

NB, Haha, some of that old footage seems to be from the more recent series “The Tudors” made to look old. I am sure it was Natalie Dormer who played Anne Boleyn in one bit of it.

79. And here’s one for Transplants manoeuvres…. and micky would be pleased to know that she is a keen surfer 🙂

80. NB

The tudors was a brilliant series. Apparently, the first execution in that video is a real one.

81. That should have been GB… I wasn’t sending a message to myself ha ha, I’m not that drunk already 🙂

82. The Cockie Monster says:

Guillotining !………cant say the French don’t do circumcision with a certain style and flair !. No wonder they have mental strength !.

Do any of you watch HOMELAND ? I think Claire DAINES IS A VERY GOOD ACTRESS AND A HORNY WOMAN.

Reading all the comments about injuries the one that baffles me the most is Ospina. He has more or less been injured since we bought him and I think that was in June.

85. The Cockie Monster says:

Ospital !….bought from the Colombian NHS !.

86. RC78 says:

RUMORS OF THE DAY:

– Arsenal targeting Pedro and Dani Alves for 45 Mln USD in January
    – Inter Milan looking to get Joel Campbell on loan

–> If we get Dani Alves, shall we sell Jenkinson at the end of the season and loan out Bellering immediately?
    –> If we get Pedro, does that mean:
    – that we get rid of Campbell (loan out and then sale) or Podolski (sale) in January, or
    – that AW will try to basically turn Ox into a box-to-box midfielder and so we need another forward?

–> If Joel Campbell is loaned out in January, shall we necessarily replace him in January or do we have enough cover?

We don’t need either of them.
    We need a beast of a DM and a guaranteed 20 clean sheets a season Centre Back.

Just looking through some old stuff I’d favourited.
    Thought I might as well put this up before deletion.

It must have been really hard for him to put that on.

Number One is Perry Groves,
    Number Two is Perry Groves….

One for BR.

Sorry, that was a bit of a stinky one.
    At least I’ll shut the door on my way out.

93. The Cockie Monster says:

That`s why Pegs is a legend !, chas ……….Robson doesn`t count, he`s a West Ham fan !…..however, it must be hard because they hate Totnumb too !. Chavs hate Totnumb too !……the constant of anyone Londoner outside of N17 is we all hate Totnumb !. 😀

Robson is one of my favourite people. With the personality of an Argos Toaster it just means more available women for me

95. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually, Stretch, I thought you had a lot in common with an Argos Toaster…….. one minute after meeting a woman……. you get all hot and pop up !

hahaha, more like I prematurely eject.

Apologies to Peaches mum.

97. The Cockie Monster says:

Just read this on newsnow !.

Police in Oslo who responded to an emergency call after hearing screams from an apartment were shocked to find the howls belonged to a lone chess player displeased with his performance during a game.

Typical noisy Europeans !…..I have a Czech mate who keeps his neighbours up all Knight bashing his Bishop whilst watching a King take his Queen in some soft Pawn !……………..yes I know that’s terrible ! . hahaha

99. Peaches/Rasp, post e mailed to arsenalnuts

This is well worthy of being the 100th comment on this post. 🙂

Is this what it was like, BR?

NG
    How could you wait for two hours and then post the 100th comment 1 minute before me? 🙂

p.s. well done on sending a post. 🙂

103. The Cockie Monster says:

Oskaar has only 3 hours of sunlight in Iceland !………………Obviously he should try the Iceland in Islington, the one in Tottenham is in our shadow !.

104. poigmothoin says:

What is “Peaches mum’s rule?”, before I open my mouth and put my foot in it.

Thanks NG, it’s a bit late to publish, we’d prefer to put it up tomorrow morning if you don’t mind.

Keep it clean poig 😛 As a barometer, you can see that our two maddest and most amusing bloggers are the ones that get closest to the edge ….. but I have to say they have been absolutely brilliant these last months and a joy to read …. see if you can guess who I’m referring to?

GoonerB and Norfolk? 🙂

108. The Cockie Monster says:

Me???

And me???

Definitely not me RA

111. poigmothoin says:

Rasp
    Surely she must even laugh at them.
    Evening Cockie and Terry new surroundings, just dipping my toe in.

Sod off, Cockie doo dah, and you Terry Adonis.

Course it is not you two!!

Rasper said, — “you can see that our two maddest and most amusing bloggers are the ones that get closest to the edge”

Now I know GoonerB has said it is not him, (lying sod) but I have known you two for too long, and I will stand up and be counted on your behalf — You are certainly the two maddest — but amusing? Leave it aat! 😉

113. arnie says:

must be Redders then? 😛

Bloody hell Eddie
    How do you do it? Blogging I mean. With dogs. I’m sitting on a sofa, laptop on top of my lap, and two cockapoo’s all over it.

Rasp
    Love the question of the day” banner. Nice.

Have we signed anyone yet?

WHAT ?????????????????? two? photos photos photos please

Qatar cleared of all the corruption allegations, of course!

Now the whole footballing world will have to work for at least 3 seasons to accommodate winter world cup. That makes perfect sense to me

Chas
    Just seen the Oskaar in Iceland vid. “ultra violent light” 🙂

Eddie
    Photos are too much of a performance. Snap from one device, upload to twister and then to here. Not happening.
    They probably look identical to any other cockapoo

you will soon learn that all dogs are totally unique and yours will quickly become simply unbelievable 🙂

I never said it was easy to blog, drink coffee and fight for your spot on the settee every morning. But it gets better with time, I know my place now and eat in the kitchen

Is the Qatar world cup really going to be held during our winter?

That’ll be that season royally buggered up.

“yours”

No, no Eddie. They aren’t mine. I’m in London.

what happened there – Roy Keane in a Dublin hotel had an altercation with a fan. An ambulance was called, Keane calls the Gardai and the Irish FA give Keane their full support. Does it mean that Keane battered the fan and gave himself up to the cops?

ooooh 😦 😦 I thought your daughter won the fight and has dogs now

Qatar world cup will have impact on the season before and the season after, all fixtures will have to be moved. In all countries.

Must go.

Beckham junior signs for Arsenal, well that explains why senior is at THOF as much as he is.

There’s a New Post ………………