Supporting was easy when….

Once upon a time, if you wanted to watch a football match you put on your raincoat, put a pork pie in your pocket, queued up at a turnstile, put down your cash and elbowed your way onto your favourite bit of terracing.

You watched the game as you swayed with the crowd, stamped your feet if it was cold and joined in the cheering and jeering. If you blinked when a goal was scored, tough luck, no replays on the big screen and no pundit to tell you what you had missed.

By the time you got home, if you lived in London that is, the classified editions of The Star, The Evening News and The Standard were on sale so you could check the score and scorers and read a brief description of the game, which had probably been written by some drunken hack who had passed out at half-time.

Nowadays every move, every foul, every goal, every incident is shown and repeated as nauseum. There are a host of ex-players, in sharp suits and drawing huge salaries, just bursting to tell you what you had already seen for yourself.

Referee’s decisions are examined in forensic detail, frequently by pundits who themselves are less than au fait with the laws of the game. Players are castigated for making what these “experts” perceive to be the wrong decision even though that decision is made in a split second often under immense pressure from the game situation as well as from opposing players and in the full knowledge that it has been recorded for posterity by half a dozen or more cameras.

Everyone is an expert, everyone can demonstrate their “expertise” on the many and varied blogs that abound on the internet.

Journalists actually use information and opinions garnered from those blogs in their own columns and for their own ends.

A whole new industry has sprung up around football, there seems to be a compulsion for fans to know every little detail about their club, it’s ownership, it’s finances, the manager and players. When Harry Redknap made a throwaway remark about the weight of one of his players it was instantly “news” and plastered all over the back pages of the tabloids for the delectation of “The Fans”.

In the past a player could go out after the game on a Saturday, have a few beers and a game of cards in the smoke filled back room of his local and nobody would be the wiser or worried. Nowadays a player photographed falling out of a nightclub with his trousers at half mast is given the full back page treatment, his morals are questioned as is his commitment to his club, “insiders” will be ready with rumours about the punishment inflicted by his manager and his agent will be salivating at the thought of a possible transfer and his own share of the inflated fee that will eventually be forthcoming.

Are we as football fans better served by the Information Age? Are we better informed by the opinions of the uninformed? Or would we all actually enjoy the game a little more without the existing level of insight?

Somebody once said “Football is a simple game”. Couldn’t we simply enjoy it for what it is? Shouldn’t we simply enjoy it for what it is?

Written by Norfolk Gooner

96 Responses to Supporting was easy when….

Super stuff, NG. 🙂 🙂

A 100% whole-hearted Yes, we should simply enjoy it for what it is.
    Flippin pointless getting your knickers in a knot about it. That way madness lies.

I wonder if those who leave early know that they’ll be able to see it all a bit later and not ‘miss’ anything.
    Or did some always leave early, even though if they missed a goal, they would never ever see it?

2. Good article NG

I would agree, the internet and instant gratification has somehow taken the joy out of football as we knew it. I remember having to wait for the results on the tele, and my parents had their pools coupon ready. I always remember being able to close my eyes and predict the result from the commentators voice:

ARSENAL 2 everton 1

chelsea 0 – MIDDLESBOROUGH ….3

liverpool 1 – leeds 1

3. And all the matches were played on the Saturday at 3pm ha ha

4. PV4 says:

Aah, those grand old days when ordinary working class folk could roll up at the match, pay cash for a ticket and stand with their mates. Win, lose or draw, football was special..get off train at Highbury and Islington, walk through Aubert Park, arrive at the top of Avenall Road…BLISS! You are bang on – football has been ruined by money, the media and modern day obsession with voyeurism.

5. 26may1989 says:

Lovely piece, that one, Norfolk.

Frustrations over throwing away a three-goal lead have been healed to a small extent by seeing City implode. Very amusing. Very poor English performance this week though.

6. porter says:

Football has moved on and left the supporter behind. A recent premierleague survey was concentrated on how much was spent in the club shop , whether you drank in the stadium, ate food . Nothing about the football just the “Matchday Experience”. Even in a predominately season ticket area , new faces come to every match as the tickets are passed around or exchanged. It’s all gone now. I am afraid it’s just a wholly marketing exercise .

7. ha ha those were the days, but Birmingham must have been the worst place in England to visit for a match in th 60’s. Bloody dire place it was.

100% Agree with all that NG, i think its the need to blame someone that is most annoying. As it often feels like you are fighting against a tide that won’t ever recede. When all you really want to do is be depressed by the result, and seek solace and encouragement that may be it’ll be better next week.

9. 26may1989 says:

Porter, much of what you say is right, but where I sit, there’s real friendship amongst a cluster of a dozen or so people who’ve been sitting in the same place since the Emirates opened. The spirit amongst that group is much as it was when I had a season ticket in the old Clock End.

Well done, Norfolkian, 🙂

The question, “Shouldn’t we simply enjoy it (football) for what it is?” is perfectly reasonable, and – leaving aside the obvious disappointment when we lose – that is certainly my desire.

The unasked question seems to be; should we – could we – do without technology? And the answer is no. I would miss so much, especially the away games and the overseas games.And for the many thousands of overseas fans they would not be able to take part at all.

The other unasked question might be; can we do without the ‘expert’ pundits and the TV hangers-on, giving their faux explanations?
    Well with a few exceptions the answer is a resounding ‘yes’.

The other, ‘other’ unasked question might also be; can we do without the self proclaimed blogging experts happy to examine the entrails of every defeat, and then suffer the rest of us to read their diatribes?
    Well that is rhetorical and requires no answer.

Are you a bit like King Canute sitting on your ‘throne’ (not a mental image I want to dwell on) 🙂 and demanding that society should turn back the inexorable tide of technology?

You would not be able to communicate with fellow bloggers without it, and I suspect you are doomed to disappointment, if you do. 🙂

11. ‘morning all,

Thanks for the nice comments,

Chas, I suspect there have always been a few who would leave early, I may have been tempted to do so myself, maybe on a cold, wet January afternoon in the late fifties, when Arsenal were going through a particularly bad patch and the play was pretty dire, the thought of getting on a nice warm bus and home for tea was a welcome idea. 😀

Good read Norfolk.

I am not sure why we should be surprised that journalists garner information from blogs; I mean, if any one of us had to write an article about Middlesbrough, for example, then the first place we would go to is their blogs and if you were from that town and knew just as little about Arsenal then almost certainly the first place you would go would be to Le Grove. The reason as we all know is that you are more likely to find complaints about the club over there which make far more interesting reading to any natural.

Chas seems to be the only person who has managed to continue to support the club in that happy go lucky way; that’s to say, enjoying Arsenal in the same way you describe above. I certainly don’t but I have been asking myself recently, why, what has changed?

The only answer that I can come up with, is the problem that you point to above; there is overkill going on and Arsenal starts to resemble a Mars Bar, I like Mars Bars but when you eat too many of them, well we all know what happens?

13. RA, no I don’t think that having lived with the wonders of modern media, that we, or I, could do without it.

As you rightly point out millions of fans around the world, and even as far afield as Norfolk, would not be able to enjoy watching their chosen team.

Without television money there would be no Emirates stadium, no Alexis, no Ozil etc.

As to the pundits, I rarely bother to watch the pre-match circus, half-time is the right moment to to take a leak and get another beer from the fridge, at the final whistle, if we have a good result I’m happy to switch off and enjoy the moment, if the result has gone against us I have no wish to hear it all re-hashed by people I have no respect for.

Reading Exile’s comment from earlier, (and I still do, tho’ he dislikes Septic Tanks so much) I think he has a valid point, and it would be interesting to learn more about what people get out of their footballing ‘experience’, and whether or not it is worthwhile to them health wise.

You see, from my personal peregrinations through the blog world, it has often struck me how many people make caustic comments that would sear the paint of the Forth Bridge, and that is when we have drawn, or they go quiet when we win, and then are in their element when we lose, in a manner of speaking, as they seem to reach a nadir in their disappointment.

Personally, I blog for pleasure, and when I feel that pleasure has waned or become tenuous, I bugger off for a while, and perhaps eventually for good, as many others do, Sheep Hagger, Rocky et al. 🙂

Frankly, if I felt perpetually worse, rather than better, supporting any team, I would seriously re-consider the implications on my health and if necessary, take appropriate action.

Perhaps someone could construct a questionnaire to see why bloggers support Arsenal, and what they get out of doing so, and is it beneficial to them, or not.

How about it GIE? 🙂

Porter i assume you took the same survey as me, i had a slightly different stance on the whole thing, i guess it depends on whether you think there is some ulterior motive to what the club/PL is doing with the information.

The first few questions are just defining your demographic, i.e. age, level of support, whether you go to games or sit at home etc etc.

Couple of the questions in the demographic thing are important though:

How many years have you been attending Arsenal football matches?

What other football websites do you visit?

Why did you start supporting Arsenal?

I’d love to know the difference in answers on the rest of the survey depending on the websites visited and the reasons why they started supporting.

Other questions:

Why have you not purchased a Season Ticket for this season?

Answers are the full range (i.e. too expensive, can’t commit to every game, i want to sit with my friends, i don’t want to sit in the same seat etc etc) If enough people answer in a way that may force the club to look at changing its policy would that be a good thing?

i.e. maybe they could offer three levels of season tickets, all the Grade A games, all Grade B games and all Grade C games. And for traditionalists they could still have the all games options. I don’t know what the survey is used for but if it was this wouldn’t it be a good thing? Maybe they could make it so season ticket holders can move around the game (i personally would love unallocated seating in the North Bank and Clock End behind the goal).

Another question asks why you decide to go, again if everyone answers that they couldn’t give a diddly squat about the ticket prices the club won’t change, but the opposite maybe they will continue to work on it, do they look at the question about importance of the opponent, for me choosing to go to a game has nothing to do with the opponent, which means i am quite happy to go to Cat C games because all i want to do is see Arsenal, if others answer that it is very important we could find more prices weighted on that basis.

Lots of questions on taking children to the game, what’s important or not, this is clearly aimed at identifying how they get more youngsters in to the club for the next generation of fans, and is very important as a lot of clubs are offering very good deals to kids, Palace regularly have kids for a £1 as do West Ham, on Mereyside a lot of dyed in the wool Liverpool fans are taking their kids to Everton week in week out because the ticket prices on offer for their kids is much cheaper. They will become Evertonians and Liverpool will lose out on a generation.

Questions about travelling to and from games, bearing in mind this is one of the things Germany does well for fans could the right set of answers by people taking the survey convince the PL to strike a deal with the Rail Operators to fund travel for fans?

Now we get into some of the merchandising questions as you put them:

Whats important in ground?

Price of food
    Access to food
    Sightlines
    Cleanliness
    Wi Fi
    Atmosphere

Well i answered not important to 1, 2 and 5, and very important to 3,4 and 6, if everyone did the same the club may spend less on that stuff and more on the football side?

I could go on, but needless to say i didn’t see the survey as you did. The merchandising questions are there, but my answers tell the club that none of the food and drink is important to me, so maybe the club will use that information to stop bothering investing in it as a revenue stream.

There were also a lot of questions about how much your match day experience is influenced by the result, or the performance f the players.

16. LB, like the number 42, AA is the answer to everything. 😀

NG,

Exactly how I behave in truth, tho’ I have never seen you in the Loo, yet! 🙂

RA even though i hadn’t read your comment it seems i was already half way there with looking at the questionnaire recently sent to us all. 😀

Thanks for the post NG

Every single detail in a game is done to death and repeated hundreds of times these days but the most important thing that of video technology isn’t used, neither does the forth official have any impact either, when wrong decisions can prove costly to the final outcome of a game,be it spitting, shirt pulling, offside, penalties etc.
    Is there a lack of consistency by refs and linesmen to day more so when we first watched.
    No doubt the game is much quicker and that bares an influence.

Blogging and the social media to many is an addiction and take AA, nearly half the regulars are accountants or lawyers and seem to be on here most of the day instead of fiddling their clients books 🙂

20. The day is too nice to waste, so I’m off to clear a few leaves from the lawn and tidy up the veg patch.

Back later.

Blimey, talk about a swift response to my request to Exile to conduct a survey of the fans’ reasons for supporting the club!!

I ask at 11:11, and he answered at 11:12.

Beat that! 🙂

Telepathic, Exile.

Fine post Norfolk, and I agree with you that everything was much simpler in a by-gone era, and there will be many aspects that were better then than now. Maybe certain practices from the past can still be re-visited to the benefit of modern football, but others never will be as things have moved on and they are not reclaimable.

There will of course be some modern footballing aspects that are actually better than those in the past. I think the prose from the serenity prayer is always a good marker when comparing past and present :

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference”.

Some older footballing fan stalwarts have turned their back on the modern game due to the new practices that they dislike. Others embrace them, or at least some of them. Some younger newer footballing fans would probably find past practices tedious and dull relative to this new modern footballing world with all its good and bad points. It is what it is though so ce la vie.

I personally know some old pros who played at the top level who now live a very mediocre and humble lifestyle. You wouldn’t know them as any different to any other average or working class person in society. Why? Because they came from that era and in those times they didn’t get the wages to retire a millionaire financially secure for life.

Could we begrudge them, therefore, a night on the tiles, a ciggy hanging out the corner of their mouth back in those times, even on matchday eve?

Contrasted to the modern footballer, where the sports science needs to be spot on to glean every last ounce of physical output from that player, then is there a greater responsibility on them to ensure they are in absolute peak physical condition and they have no lifestyle factors that can affect this?

IMO the answer is yes and the sheer magnitude of the wages have to play a part in that. They are no longer a member of average society living on average means. If you want a job clocking in at 9.00 and out at 5.00 go and work in a warehouse for £20kpa. If you want a £250kpa city job and are required to stay till 11.00 at times you do it and if you don’t like it go and do the warehouse job instead.

The media is just a consequence of the global popularity of the modern game and will not change. As for blogging, I don’t see any issues with expressing dissatisfaction on blogs as long as it is done in an articulate way with justification for your views. The disagreements, (as long as not becoming poisonous), and debates about different view-points are what keeps it interesting in my mind.

I hate the ranting sites and booing from fans and would never personally do it myself, but in some ways I understand why people feel they want to do this. If they are unhappy with what they are seeing from the club, in how it is running things, how else are they going to be heard? Is there any other fan outlet or way of letting the club know you are unhappy with its behaviour that I am currently unaware of?

Lovely article Norfolk and some great responses.

I can’t help feeling there is a underlying irony or maybe a subtle trick being played on us bloggers here – similar to those people who watch the sitcom The Royle Family whilst sitting on their sofa with the family ……. if you see what I mean 😛

Rasper,

There’s a programme of her Maj at home? I’ve not seen that.

A very good comment GoonerB, and concisely sets out a number of the salient issues addressed indirectly in the Post, and I concur with your conclusions. 🙂

GoonerB is be really interested to get a comparison of player wages and average uk earnings.

In 2000 Keane got £50k a week and was the top earner, in 2001 Sol got £100k a week (although it is accepted that this also included the £20m or so transfer fee that we would have had to pay if he had not been out of contract).

In 2014 the top earners are on upwards of £250k a week.

Average weekly wage in the UK has gone from £300 per week to £480 per week.

But what is clear is that we are reacting 13-14 years too late.

Ng. If I had read RA’s 10.53 I would probably agree with all he writes.

My enjoyment of football has changed, thanks (if that is the right word) to technology.

I recall when the only televised match was the FA Cup Final. Then came MotD etc

We just move with the times.

29. The Cockie Monster says:

Great to reminisce about the nostalgic past, but to tell the truth, the only thing I miss is getting in for free !. As a kid, me and my mates would run quickly and slip in behind someone just as the turnstyle was about to turn !. Then in my 20`s and on, I would look for a slim gay gooner and slip in again…cheap thrill for them and still not paying for entry !. hahaha
    I love our 24/7 technical age and being in Cornwall it`s great to talk to all you lot even if we differ on opinions, to shed our frustration to others who may like to talk and get it of their chest in a polite way.
    Without this technology on dark days we would be calling the Samaritans instead and then you are vulnerable as the Samaritan may be a Spud and he`s empathy will be to email you technical drawings on how to erect a DIY gallows on a shoestring budget .
    Imo and probably everyone else, technology in the game will happen, it`s only a matter of time for the biggest game in the world .
    If and when the USA takes the game seriously and that`s just a matter of time imo, that`s when technology will be rampant as anything which gives sponsors a few seconds to get air time and slip in an advert whilst something is being reviewed will bring in more money and that’s when the football ( soccer ) will eventually ( imo ) take over as the biggest game in America.

Redders, it’s a program based on a dysfunctional yet somehow functioning family that watch the TV and discuss their own little world – a bit like a blog discussing whether technology (the internet) is ruining our enjoyment of football 😆

Technology is a tool – its up to us how we use it. I bet most of us guys have a battery powered drill – we wouldn’t dream of going back to those old ones with cable and a plug!

Like Raddy I can’t wait for some technology to be introduced to review important decisions – it is the best way of cutting out a lot of the cheating that takes place apart from anything else.

And like most of you, I panic if I think I’ve lost my mobile phone, but if I had a magic wand and could return us all to the way the world was when I was young …. I’d use it.

Haha, I have a drill with lead and plug.
    I have got a battery screwdriver though, but I hate it when I go to use it and the fecking thing needs charging first. 🙂

For those of you wondering what to worry about today Arsenal-wise, here’s something…….. 🙂

Last comment in moderation

I’ve freed you chas 🙂

Cheers Norfolk

Yes, how I hark for a simpler time. Jumpers for goalposts, bigger boys unwantedly playing with your ball. Great times.

Unfortunately, everyone now has everything at there finger tips. The information age they call it,both good and bad.

My youngest daughter has just recently started courting, so I done an internet check on the boy. Turns out there’s nothing on him, apart from photo of him of him and his smug parents collecting an academic achievement award

Obviously this raised my suspicions, so I told my daughter straight that this kid is a deviant and best avoided. A suspected pick pocket, probably graduating to professional fraudster, all eventually leading to supporting Tottenham.

When asked for my evidence, I simply stated that been old fashioned I prefer three o’clock kick off’s and judge someone’s character by there face

Lol Ronaldo just stretching his calves obviously 🙂

Excellent comments today from RA, GIE, Cockie et. al. One question for Terry though. Terry how is it that you know how to spot a deviant?

He just looks in the mirror — so you need not worry GoonerB. 🙂

41. The Cockie Monster says:

chas….them photos of Ronaldo, the red rings may highlight that he is up on his toes, but it also shows that he likes to get up close behind Modric !.. This can mean a few things…….1) being a pretty lady boy, he likes his bitch to be ugly !. 2) like me, he likes to get in free through the turn styles !. 3) Modric likes one arm around a friend, legs apart at exactly 18 inches and a steady hand on the thigh !….he is one of the more technical players at Madrid !. 4 ) Ronaldo likes his bitches to have the average number of….na na na nineteen ! .

42. The Cockie Monster says:

I suppose the other good thing about the 24/7 football and technology is that in places like Norfolk there is a decline in the sales of 6 fingered gloves !. hahaha

43. I’m a knot ear, but good post Norfolk & Chance Gooner, it ties in nicely with a closing line in a post over on the other site I write for from Tim at 7amkickoff.com:

“Arsenal fans are better off living in the past or future as the present is no fun”.

44. that was written in the wake of the Andelexht debacle…really off now.

This is guaranteed to make Micky hurl…….. 🙂

Ooooooops wrong one…….

Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Sunday’s Premier League clash at Swansea City:

on Mikel Arteta…
    Arteta will be out for Sunday. He has a mild hamstring strain and he will be out for a short period because it’s a grade one. He should be back after the internationals.

on Olivier Giroud…
    Giroud joins in training next week.

on Jack Wilshere…
    Jack is alright, he is back in the squad for Sunday.

on the long-term absentees…
    Debuchy, Ospina and Ozil are progressing very well, but of course they are not available before or straight after the international break.

on Laurent Koscielny…
    Koscielny has a little chance to be back after the international break.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Very ordinary, in fact below par, performances from both Chelsea and Man C. yesterday. As we found out on Tuesday nothing can be taken for granted in the CL.

However capitulating 3 goals in the last 30 minutes was very sad to have to watch.

chas. You are naughty

Having been in and around the computer industry for over 25 years in my work life, I appreciate and use technology to the best of my knowledge and capacity. However there is an awful lot of misuse due to the instantaneous nature of the information – much of which is more speculation than real facts.

My post at 3:43 is, in my mind, one of the benefits we get from instant knowledge, back when that type of information would either be unavailable or stale when it became known.

I think Theo should start against Swans, and then get a precautionary substitution at half time to rule himself out of England duty.

Having said last week that it looks like he has waited til fully recovered to come back I don’t particularly want him to pick up a knock whilst playing for England that rules him out again.

It is all very well the club getting compensation from the FA for injuries suffered on international duty, but how about space for additional loan signings in the squad?

This is what the Information Age gives us………. Mesut advertising for Adidas while injured for Arsenal.
    Me no like.

When all’s said and done we could be about to kick off against Asteras Tripolis.
    Be thankful for what you have.

I forgot it is Spursday

Chas that is true but it also gives U.S. Ronaldo on tiptoes 🙂

How about this?
    Nowt to do with fitba, but what the hell.

Hi Norfolk,

Sorry not around, but I read your post first thing then have been busy.

Later, I had lunch with a fellow Gunner and a Director of a Football Club, and we discussed your post. In very short, we concluded that it is a great thing for the fan, and even better for the more intelligent fan who can dissect the bullshit. We also reckoned it must be awful for the players. Think Jack having a fag.

Just skimmed the comments, and saw this from LB: “Your post does raise another question: is AA part of the problem or part of the solution?”

Answer: a resounding “part of the solution” as we have the right blend of gas and smut 🙂

Best news of the day from GN5, that Arteta will only miss Swansea, which lets face it, will be a walk in the park 🙂

Ok, you’re all gone, and football is off the menu. Fair dinkum, so I’ll leave you with a line from my 14 yr old Son that just made me smile. Talking about what he might want for Christmas….

“Well, don’t forget Dad, I still really want my stick pimped”

Well, Micky, I thought I would tee that one up for you 🙂

Provocative, LB 🙂

Oh, alright, I really like the penguin advert.

I have nothing to say, but just to let you know that I am here reading and ready to ROLF

doesn’t take much for me to have something to say 🙂

I just watched a report about active cannibalism in Wales and thought ‘those Welsh savages’. And straight away chas posts the vid of Aaron – a suave, well spoken, sensible, lovely lovely young Welshman. Sadly, you cannot brush people with the same brush on basis of their nationatity 😦

Ready to ROLF?
    Funny how no-one mentions Rolf’s extra leg any more.

oh oh oh, the FA Cup is in the BBC studio right now. Maybe one of us will be there too, watch!

Victoria Secret advert for a perfect body, brrrrr……

69. This will make you ROLF ha ha

NG – sorry, I forgot to comment on your post 😦 excellent article, thanks for that.
    You are spot on, all the analysis and expert knowledge makes me feel inferior and stupid at times. Before, I thought I knew as much as the next fan. Now I don’t

Another good thing then was that you could pronounce and remember player’s names then. It can be tricky now. Thank Dennis it’s getting easier with more and more names ending with ~ski 🙂

71. Perhaps I’m a sick bastard for posting this, but my point is that we criticise our current defence and midfield for poor defending and bad passing, but this shows, even with one of our best defence and midfield lineups, we could still get it wrong. I’m sick I know: ha ha

Rolf Harris is a sick bastard.

chas 🙂

What shall we talk about today, any ideas? Need a post for tomorrow too as we’re not playing until Sunday 😦

75. arnie says:

Motning all.

Lovely stuff, Norfolk, and great discussion. Apols for Knot Bin Ear!

What about Wenger’s new coat,which I noticed he didn’t bother to zip up 🙂

or 6 Arsenal players in the England squad which historically means at least another two injuries :

or Diaby 🙂

Kelsey the new zip is approved by Arsene Wenger:

If you can’t see the graphic clearly it says “Pull Me” on the zipper!

Peaches one in drafts for you….hastily written and a bit rubbish!

Arsene has never had any trouble pulling. 🙂
    It’s getting the insertion pin into the slider on a long coat which is difficult for a 6’3″ chap.

80. GiE

Perhaps AW can’t understand ‘Pull me’ perhaps it should have been written in French, tirez-moi. Something that French women understand totally 🙂

As I discovered last year trying on a couple of jackets in the club shop the zip on the Nike jacket was on the wrong side. Unless I was trying on ladies jackets…..

82. Just revisiting Norfolk Gooners original post, one thing the internet and new technology is good for is easy access to music. Raddish, did you buy the St Germain album on iTunes?

83. Ha ha Chas… that;s not one of their best.

I remember an exhibition I had in Avignon and I had a triptych which depicted a meal with a couple, each course had on the table the food, saucisson cold meat starter, them second course Moules farcies and then Creme Brulee for dessert, three elderly French women, at least in their 80’s, came into the gallery and I was playing St Germain on the stereo, Rose Rouge. And the three women stood in front of the triptych, swinging their hips and talking together, obviously reminiscing about some past meal: This is the music:

84. oh well, no Friday rant today. It’s all gone quiet over there 🙂

GIE’s post no good?
    Or did the zipper photo distract from the main prize?

I think all admin left the building..sod it I’ll go press post.

New post