From euphoria to despair

One of the joys of following Arsenal is that it is often a roller coaster ride but what happened last night left many of us shell shocked.

For the first sixty minutes we played with intent and several players stood out and a well executed penalty by Arteta followed by an instinctive volley when the ball came back to the wonderful Sanchez and then an exquisite goal by The Ox seemed to put the game to bed,but Arteta got injured and Anderlecht scored what was a clearly offside goal.

At that stage no one seemed too worried yet even in the first half there were one or two signs that our defence was vulnerable.

Anderlecht, a team who have one of the worst records in modern day CL football gained momentum and frankly bossed the game for the remaining thirty minutes.They practically had a youth team out and yet showed so much more commitment than us, and that was alarming.

What went wrong ? We were still 3-1 up yet the team as a unit seemed unrecognisable from the first hour. Is leadership missing in defence even though it wasn’t by far our strongest defensive line up?

This has been an issue most of the season and what was more alarming was to see the players faces at the end of the game and Wenger storming out through the tunnel.

Every man and his dog has seen that our defence  needs bolstering and last night was a very good example of this.

Booing doesn’t help the cause but no team of our standard who were in cruise control should surrender a three goal lead. The fans were singing their hearts out at 2-0 and 3-0 and I am absolutely sure they couldn’t believe what they were seeing. It isn’t the end of the world but I suggest a post mortem 🙂

Quite frankly it was an embarrassment and I think I will just leave it there as I don’t want to ruffle anymore feathers.

kelsey.

163 Responses to From euphoria to despair

1. Well done kelsey, a very accomplished review of last night’s game.

It was an embarrassment, it is an embarrassment to not be able to hold onto a three goal lead.

I feel that the problem lies in a certain amount of complacency –

‘we’re three goals up so we’re not going to bother to stop you mounting an attack, because you haven’t scored so far so are you good enough to score against us?’

Rubbish defending from the mid-field. Alexis cannot be everywhere, he chases after every ball to try to win back possession but not so those players that are in the middle of the park. They back off and back off until there’s no alternative but for someone to stick a leg out and that’s usually too far up the pitch.

Why on earth we allow teams to come on to us I’ll never know? They build up momentum with each pass and they’re all running at us and we panic. In fact that’s what we should be doing to other teams but we’ve lost the ability somewhere.

Surely we need to be hassling the opposition when they get possession to try to win it back? Sadly most of our players just don’t bother.

At 3-2 there were five minutes left plus injury time and we’re going gungho searching for more goals, it’s ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. It must be easier to defend properly than to score 4 or 5 goals every game?

Is that the kind of pressure we want our team to have to play under, knowing that have to score a hatfull (however many that is) in order to win a game?

If I was the manager I would be furious.

3. Maliki says:

Wenger out!!! Sick and tired of all this

peaches this has been an underlying problem for the majority of this season.

Concede less score more 🙂

I have to say for the first hour Arteta,Chambers,The Ox, Gibbs and of course Sanchez were outstanding. Santi was much improved,Welbeck was making could movement bar one horendous pass, and Szsney pulled off at least one great save.
    Ramsey is still not at full throttle and I wish he wouldn’t keep trying these hollywood passes until he has his form back and scores.

5. Well done oh dooming one 🙂

I don’t think you’ll ruffle anyones feathers but I bet your bouffant needed an extra dose of hair spray this morning 🙂

I think what Peaches said is true, we often see a result like that as an embarrassment and sometimes the reaction is a jerk of the knee.

I’m trying at the moment to get some positives from the game and that is the first 60 minutes… I didn’t see the last 30 because I left the bar. In the first 60 however, we showed that our weakness last season of being unable to score has been addressed. We are creating chances and we have the forwards who can convert.

Defensively this season we seem to have lost that confidence which was so important last season. That’s solely I think down to injuries and a makeshift set up. But then it begs the question as to why, when everyone including AW, knew that we needed to strengthen in defence, it wasn’t done in the summer. Booing our boys is more unforgivable than however, than giving away a 3 goal lead.

Run a brush through your hair oh bouffant man, and buy a stronger hair spray 🙂 it will stay stiffer for longer

I think the key is a lack of leadership in defence and that Kos and Pers who had developed a good understanding together aren’t playing together and Pers looks very vunerable without Kos’s cover.

Firstly, thank you kelsey – “the man who tells it as he sees it”

What has surprised me is that no-one has mentioned what an exciting and entertaining game we saw last night. End to end football played by two teams committed to attack.

Watching football is not all about your own team winning. Last night we watched a young Anderlecht team give 100% to the final whistle and make their fans and manager proud. They were great and deserved the point.

Another thing …. we played some wonderful football. Wengerball at its best with Santi and Ramsey returning to form and Ox, Alexis and Chambers continuing the excellence.

Well, we did for 70 minutes.

For the rest, I blamed Wenger and the officials, others blamed the crowd, the full backs, the defence, the midfield and the attack.

I would rather look at it in this light …. 90+ mins of outstanding attacking football, 6 goals, no stupid goalkeeping errors, a fast pitch, a game which engendered all the emotions attached to football (both positive and negative).

Just for once, luck evened itself out over 180 minutes

arnie. Enjoyed the morning raga – the others not so much.

chas. BRMC. The American Oasis but not as good

Raddy

Do you really really mean that 🙂

Thanks Kelsey, that sums up the overall feeling perfectly.

I agree the problem lies as much with the midfield as the defence. We also seem to lack a game plan to deal with different scenarios, we play in one way and one way only and that makes it easier for other teams to plan a strategy against us.

Although the first 60 minutes was pleasing because of the score, we were opened up defensively on several occasions.

I do not agree that the reason was because of injuries because the defenders we had were perfectly capable, what we lacked was a decent defence minded midfielder to come on and shore up the centre of the park. IMO neither Ozil or Wilshere would have improved the defensive part of our game.

I can’t put every over used phrase I room 101, but we did lack a commanding midfield general again to organise and consolidate the defensive play.

I’m afraid Ramsey is going through a rough patch again and is struggling to find his form of last season and Cazorla is also out of sorts – the two were both guilty odf strolling back when we lost possession on a couple of occasions – thank goodness we have Alexis and Welbeck because they worked harder than the whole of the rest of the midfield put together.

Lastly I thought we made the wrong substitutions. Rosicky was bound to be lacking sharpness after so little game time – but then again we did not have that steadying type of midfielder we needed on the bench either.

Haha … Raddy says “with Santi and Ramsey returning to form” and Rasp says “I’m afraid Ramsey is going through a rough patch again and is struggling to find his form of last season and Cazorla is also out of sorts” …. just goes to show that 2 people can see the same thing and draw opposite conclusions 😆

A very fair view. Thank you.

Guess I’d better be more serious than “should’ve scored four”, so I’ll put it down to two things. First, defensive injuries and the resultant instability in personnel and consequently the lack of cohesion and understanding at the back.

Second, the formation. Against Sunderland and Burnley we returned to the defensive mid pairing, which to my mind does not hamper the attacking side to our game. Ramsey simply does not do that job.

With an Art/Flam pairing, I’m sure we can get a result against Dortmund.

13. Shubham says:

It feels like we are just drifting through the season. No real cohesion hence no stability in the team. Seeing us give up a 3 goal lead at home was embarrassing to say the least. I can’t fathom how the team folded under little pressure. God knows what will happen when we draw another Biggy in the knock out stage. But to salvage morale/prestige, we need a good result against Swansea. COYG!

14. ‘morning all,

Choose your own headline.

A glass half full….Defiant Arsenal extend unbeaten home run and claim a point in six goal thriller.

A glass half empty…Sloppy defending proves costly as Arsenal throw away a three goal lead and with it any realistic chance of winning the group.

For seventy minutes all was sweetness and light, three goals up and looking good with qualification in the bag. Arteta with a penalty, Alexis with a tremendous volley, after playing a one-two with the defensive wall, and the Ox with a lovely finish seemed to have done the job. And then Anderlecht started to play. Three goals in thirty minutes left our defence in tatters. The first was clearly off-side, the second from a penalty given away by Monreal, who should never have been playing at centre-back, the third when Merts lost out to Mitrovic on ninety minutes.

Where did it all go wrong? For an hour we played possession football, looked likely to score and did so. Then for thirty minutes we lost all composure, stopped closing the oppo down when they had the ball, and persisted in gifting it back to them whenever we were able to get a touch.

Well that’s Arsenal for you!

Do we know how long Arteta is likely to be out for? As players age, the recovery time extends, he’s been in and out of the treatment room all season.

kelsey. Would I rather we won? Of course I would but last night was so much better than the draws with Hull, Leicester, Everton and Spurs were we played poorly.

I really enjoyed the game.

17. If the problem is the lack of Kos at the back alongside the excellent Mertesacker then why aren’t the rest of the team more protective???????????

B**stards 😉

Agree micky about Ramsey not doing the same job as Flamini alongside Arteta.

Rasp. For 70 mins I am in the right, for 20 you are. Which in percentage terms make Santi and Ramsey returning to form 🙂

You reckon Raddy 😛 I didn’t think either Ramsey or Cazorla played particularly well when we weren’t in possession for the full 90 minutes.

I think the way we play when not in possession is key. You have to press and defend as a team. If you leave it up to one or two they simply get exhausted and lose heart. Once again, Anderlecht proved to be a better team on the night despite us having the superior players, they all worked for one another and doubled/trebled up where necessary.

20. RC78 says:

Quick review of the game from my side:

1. While we were free flowing offensively for 1 hour, we were also very poor defensively – especially: Cazorla, Ramsey, Chambers and our two-center-backs. The only two players very sound defensively were…Arteta and Sanchez.

2. Once Arteta got injured (AGAIN!!!!), Flamini came on and it has to be the worse performance ever of a defensive midfielder…He was everywhere and nowhere. His tactical and positional awareness was just awful and he should have gotten sent off for that reckless challenge. One Arteta was off, we were even more exposed than earlier one because Flamini was not able to overcome the breaches…I think that after today, AW must be convinced of the need to really buy a sound DM…

3. Complacency and lack of overall tactical awreness – we are up 3-0 and we concede an off-side goal at 3-1. What shall we do then? Tighten up the game, beef up the midfield and only play counters. So Chambers and Gibbs should stay back, Flamini as well and Ramsey and Cazorla/Rosicky should play closer to our midfield line rather than try to be cute and score another goal…In that sense, I was well annoyed with BFG and Rosicky as they did not show leadership to tell the guys on the pitch to tighten things up…

4. Poor changes by AW. You are up 3-0, your DM gets injured and you have to replace him by your back-up DM, which ultimately cost us the game…Flamini messed up. Then we get to 3-1, what do you do? It is 30 minutes to play…Keep your fast players on the pitch and bring in even more pace and more aggression in the middle of the pitch…

a) Flamini for Arteta – no choice bc of injury 😦
    b) Rosicky for Ox – poor choice. Although Ox was getting angry and anxious, you leave him on the pitch because he will tackle, hassle and can outrun his opponents…Rosicky did not slow the game when needed and did not put in the defensive shift required
    c) Podolski for Wellbeck – again, poor choice. Why? Poldi was desperate to get on the scoresheet and he did ok in his defensive play but he did not really pose a threay. IMHO, he should have started this game but he did not and his obsession of a goal, lack of pace cost us as well…

So what would have been better (of course, it is easy in hindsight):

a) No choice
    b) Keep Ox on the pitch and get rid of useless and wasteful Cazorla. Who should have come on for Cazorla…I would have brought in Walcott – Walcott on the right > Sanchez, Wellbeck, Walcott
    c) No c, I keep Wellbeck in the game because he is hungry and he keeps fighting and is useful on set pieces.

5. Clearly a night where AW learned a lot about the lack of leadership and tactial awareness of his team and the gaps…Defensively, it was horrendous and even Gibbs played poorly on the last goal…and I feel sorry for Monreal but so disappointed with BFG

Shubham
    “God knows what will happen when we draw another Biggy”

There is a good reason I hope we come second, as then we get a crack at a really worthwhile side 🙂

Madrid lead their Group, as do Athletico and I’m praying Barca topple PSG. Then our hopes can be sky high 🙂

22. Rasp, I should think anywhere between three and six weeks out for Arteta.

Kelsey, excellent “see it as it is” post match summary.

23. Gilly says:

WENGER is out of touch with the modern game. I do not understand how a coach of a top club like Arsenal can believe in players like Fkamini, Arteta, Monreal, Mertasaker to deliver at this level. How Wenger believes in their ability to deliver is beyond my understanding.

Three to six weeks! Yikes.

Maelstrom available?

25. RC78, “Clearly a night where AW learned a lot about the lack of leadership and tactial awareness of his team and the gaps…Defensively”. A bit late, wouldn’t you say, to be learning what we have all known for several seasons now?

26. No Micky, but Lassana Diarra is and as he’s a free agent he could be signed immediately I believe.

I’m sure many people will hate that YouTube clip – but I think they’ve hit the nail on the head.

28. JM says:

Arteta* – Hamstring Injury

earliest return: 3 weeks (from a grade one hamstring strain)
    mid-term return: 4 to 6 weeks (from a grade two type)
    worst case scenario: 3 months (from a complete rupture)

*He was out for 3 weeks from a malleolar injury and 1 week from a calf strain previously this season.
    *He also suffered a grade two hamstring injury in 13/14 season and was out for 6 weeks.

Hopefully, this current injury does not aggravate his old one.

Morning all, can’t say fairer than that Kelsey.

I mentioned just after the third goal how I was enjoying our high press, Sanchez, Ox and Welly were working hard to win back possession in their third, Rambo and Santi were also close by, with Arteta deeper to pick up the loose ones.

As well as Arteta going off I just wonder whether this approach actually took too much out of our legs, remember Barca would often dip around the 65-70 minute mark, Dortmund can be similar.

30. RC78 says:

NG – agree with you. As for LD, he is not what we need but he is an upgrade on Flamini for sure…

Arsene said this ……

“I think when we lost Mikel Arteta we lost out because he was one of the few who defended well. That didn’t help. Apart from that maybe we underestimated subconsciously Anderlecht and got punished. In the Champions League you need to be at the mental level or you get punished and certainly we were not.”

Arteta had been signalling to come off for a couple of minutes before he left the pitch, I only hope that didn’t exacerbate the injury. Obviously it is also the case that subs should be warmed up, but we can see how important Arteta is to our defensive play – and he isn’t really a DM, just an intelligent footballer.

32. arnie says:

lovely job, Kelsey. 🙂

Nice comments everyone. I agree bits and parts with most.

Peaches about the embarassment. In fact, I am very angry, and I do not think 4-4 against Newcastle is a bad comparison. Only the Spuds should fall to such levels, that too against a then very strong ManUre side. Not us against Anderlecht at home!

Micky. yes, if we have to score 4 to win at home, there is a problem. And that problem lies in defence.

Shubham, yes we can get Porto as well. But chances are we will underestimate them, as we did against Anderlecht, and lose.

Raddy. yes, exciting game and Santi was better than previous games. But no, Rambo is not yet back to half his ability. There I agree with Rasp. I thought the Ox played very well.

Norfolk. no disagreement. oh dear! 😛 Diarra? 🙂 At the risk of brickbats, let me say – get Diaby back.

RC78. Yes, substitutions were a bit strange. and that is an understatement.

GiE. Yes, playing with intensity for 70 mins, thengetting tired and losing focus. where have we heard that before?

Peace. tamaso ma jyotirgamaya — “Lead me from darkness to light.” 🙂 COYG.

33. They’re selling postcards of the hanging, the press are putting Wenger down
    And Kelseys in the beauty parlour, the circus is in town
    Here comes the blind supporter, he’s all in a trance
    One hand is tied to Transplant, and Eddie says it was pants
    And the doubters they are restless, they need somewhere to go
    And the rest of us look on today, from…. desolation row

The Belgiums they looked too easy, “it takes one to know to one” they smile
    They put us on the back foot my friend, with a bit of style
    And in comes Flamini he’s roaming. but none of us believe
    And someone says, “your in the wrong place my friend, you’d better leave”
    And the only sound after the fans they go
    Is Raddy gently sweeping up, on… desolation row

Now the game is done and over , the players are starting to hide
    The tea lady has even taken, all her tea things inside
    All except for Danny and Sanchez, who played well is the claim
    Every body else were just standing still, getting wet in the rain
    And the bloggers they are distressed, they’re getting ready for the show
    They’ll be on the soapbox today, on….. desolation row

Now Arteta is in the sick room, for him I feel so afraid
    On his thirty-second birthday, he already is an old maid
    To him it’s all quite romantic, he wears an iron vest
    His profession is his religion, his sin is his lifelessness
    And although our eyes are on the Champions League rainbow
    We spend our time peeking into,… desolation row

Alexis disguised as Robin Hood, with his memories in a trunk
    Passed defenders always on the go, but his dreams have now been sunk
    Wilshere not there last night, as he bummed a cigarette
    and he went off sniffing drainpipes, and collecting on his bet
    You wouldn’t think it to look at him, but Wenger was famous long ago
    For playing electric football, on… desolation row

34. “Apart from that maybe we underestimated subconsciously Anderlecht and got punished.” Arsene, you are the manager, if anyone underestimated Anderlecht it was you…..Again!

35. Northbank1969 for Poet Laureate!

NB in, NB in, NBi n.

Rasp your assertion that Arteta is just an intelligent footballer rather than a DM is bang on.

He knows what is required. After we went 1-0 up as he was going back to the centre circle he was giving instruction to Rambo which looked like “they’ll play higher now so you need to push up”. He needed the reverse instruction at 3-0 and 3-1, but no one was there to give it to him.

If it were me Ox would have stayed on because he looked like he had the legs whereas Rambo looked to be blowing around 65-70 minutes. And I think Ox can play defensive.

37. NG

Big Raddy will know where most of those words come from 🙂

Thanks for the comments so far.

Wenger did get it wrong as it was only two weeks ago that we played lowly Anderlecht and literally got out of jail.

To find ourselves with next to no cover in defence is really poor, even allowing for injury.

At 3-1 up and Anderlecht gaining confidence he should have brought on Walcott and most probably Podolski to regain the momentum, but to be honest I am not sure if even that would have worked.

39. Kelsey – the weather was really foul and I reckon AW didn’t fancy letting Theo loose on such a slippery surface also the Anderlecht players were suddenly inspired and bringing players down all over the pitch.

Do you think Theo can play wrapped in cotton wool? It would be good if he could 😉

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has pointed the finger at Arsenal’s lack of work-rate in wide areas as the key behind their Champions League capitulation at home to Anderlecht.

The Gunners squandered a three-goal lead in the last 30 minutes of last night’s match to draw 3-3 against the unfancied Belgians, and England winger Oxlade-Chamberlain, who got Arsenal’s third, is demanding more attention be paid to closing down opposition before it’s too late.

‘The goals were disappointing that we conceded, they were goals that we would liked to have been able to stop at source,’ he said.

‘They were simple goals, we need to stop crosses. We failed to do that and to be fair they managed to put some good balls in and get on the end of them.

‘It is hard to put our finger on what went wrong, maybe a bit of complacency there. When you are 3-0 up you can’t afford to have any complacency at this level because you get punished.

‘We were at Anderlecht a couple of weeks ago in a similar position to what they are now so we should know better than anyone that the game is not over until the final whistle.

‘To be 3-0 up at home and with the way we were playing, we felt we had the game under control. You should be able to see the game out at this level, so we are very disappointed that we weren’t able to do that.

‘This is a hard lesson that we can’t be complacent and we have to go into those games with full focus for the 90 minutes and get the job done.

I am sure Theo could have played 30 minutes,peaches but not sure why the whole team seemed to let their heads drop and not for the first time lacked real grit and determination.

42. wally says:

Wenger needs to start being ruthless.

Development is over, production is what matters.

Anything less would be negligent on the managers part.

43. arnie says:

NorthBank. 🙂 Poet Laureate of AA-d(o)om! 🙂

As I said earlier, probably the only game of the season where letting in 3 goals is not going to cost anything. Or, anything much, shall I say. Because there is the issue of confidence.

Once is enough. Back to track now. COYG.

Good news from Norfolk: Lassana Diarra is available this afternoon.
    Bad news from Arnie: thinking Diaby is good defensively 🙂

Actually, I have been fine and quite dandy since the final whistle, but during the day I have become utterly miserable.

The reason…Arteta out is an absolute disaster. Flamini is way overdue a red card, then what?

45. Wolfgang says:

As long as Wenger stays,Arsenal aint going to win the epl or cl. In the past he has choked not once but least a few times. Furthermore his one predictable style is the main cause.
    He is too arrogant believeing football to be an attack game. That is why the gunners defence has been woeful.
    I say get Tony Pulis to fix it. At least he knows defence is a priority.

NB.12.17. Smacks of Young Bob D but yours is better 🙂

47. Bryan says:

Absolute shambles, I really believe Wenger is not up to the job anymore, he moans we went looking for 4th but wasn’t it him that put Podolski & Rosicky on as subs, hardly defensive players.

I can not understand why he keeps on pursuing with Monreal in the middle, when the man is useless in his natural position of LB.
    It would be a much more balanced defence if we played Chambers in middle with BFG & put Hector Bellerin as RB.
    I mean we were playing Anderlecht at home FFS.

To say I saw it coming is an understatement, I said to girl next to me at 3-1 I think we are going to end up drawing this game, just had that funny feeling you get & can’t deny its a bit of poetic justice for they way we some how robbed them at their place.

I listened to the radio on the way home & they were bleating on about how important it is for us to win the group, but I don’t think it matters because who ever we play in the knock out stages, will have no trouble knocking us out.
    We have had 3 away games in CL so far & not turned up for any of them & would of lost them all if it wasn’t for poor finishing from our opponents.

Something needs to be done!…………new CB & a couple of DM’s would be a good start

48. arnie says:

Micky. “Flamini is way overdue a red card, then what?” hmmm, Diaby? 😛

49. Bryan says:

I’ll give Flamini a red card now, he has been awful this season

Enjoyed the Post, Kelsey.

You were probably wise to refrain from being too harsh in your assessment of the game, and anyway, bloggers all over the Arsenal fiefdom were throwing the slings and arrows of outraged fandom, so there was no need. 🙂

51. The Cockie Monster says:

Nice one Kelsey
    Personally, I have treated the CL like the COC for some years now !, in that I don’t get upset by the results and that is because I know we are not going to win it.
    We might as well play our youth in it and save our first choice players for the important 4th placed trophy !.
    Good players the likes of Arteta, Flamini, Per and Nacho maybe, but would they even get on Mansour City or Chavs benches ?…..don’t think so !.
    It`s a shame really, because when you read a list of excellent skilful and some very quick players in the likes of…….Alexis ( pace ), Ozil, Walcott ( pace ), Ox ( pace ), Ramsey, Santi, Chambers, Gibbs ( pace ), Koz ( pace ), Welbeck (pace ), Rosicky, Bellerin ( pace ), Gnabry (pace ), Akpom ( pace ),…..we have an abundance in quality and just need to strengthen in the obvious areas which a few of you have gone over time and time again !. The lack of pace ( and strength ) in the 4 “good” players happen to be in an area which really needs it !…Arteta may be an intelligent player, but so is Stephen Hawking and if he hadn`t been afflicted with Diaby syndrome would surely get a game as he`s probably quicker than Arteta ! .
    I will be more pissed off…..as in the case of Leicester, Hull and Spuds…..if we don’t beat Swansea on Sunday than last nights result !.
    Talking of pace, this is the reason why I have a court order refraining me from applying for Wengers job when he leaves, due to my stalking him wearing a sandwich board with my team selection under the headline of …..PACE OF MIND, PACE AND HARMONY,
    PACE ON EARTH, WAR AND PACE, PACE ON YOU, PACE AND LOVE, PACE BE WITH YOU, PACEMAKER, HALE AND PACE .

Szczesny
    Bellerin
    Koz
    Chambers
    Gibbs
    Ramsey
    Walcott
    Ox
    Welbeck
    Alexis
    Ozil

Quite a lot of pace there !. One DM beast and anti-injury injections and we conquer and team of PACE will PACE on Wengers teams and tactics !. hahaha

PS
    This is why I don’t get involved with tactics talk etc` and write crap instead , as when I do it is crap as well !. hahaha

52. Bayonne Jean says:

Kelsey, very measured report; not easy, given the circumstances.

A comment on the BFG: to these eyes, he looks much less assured, and that could go back to the World Cup, where Jogi Loew dropped him from the starting lineup in favor of the pacier Boateng; that had to sting. And not having his athletic sidekick Kos next to him doesn’t help. Which is why having the more mobile and physical Chambers at CB with Bellerin at RB is a way to stabilize things in the back.

Arnie,
    You are probably too young to have seen Diaby play, but I’m not and believe me, defensive concentration was not his strong point 🙂

Bryan – I came home at half time, had seen Ox’s fab goal and thought it was safe to go to bed. But in the next few minutes I could see it coming and watched in pain how we capitulated.

Most guys here know that I am a Wengerite, but last night it was his fault, he is making costly mistakes. I don’t know why and care little why. If he can’t do it, he has to go, in football nobody can’t live on the past glory. I wish he could see that too.

Those iPads are not that great really, are they? How do you go to the bottom of the comments after a refresh?

55. wally says:

Wenger didn’t shake Andelecht’s hand? wtf?

FFS, “get Tony Pulis in”

Get a grip man.

Does anyone believe we are going to beat Dortmund by 3 goals? And if not why worry – we will still finish 2nd in the group as per normal.

My only concern is that we may draw PSG and Micky will not want to go.

“You are probably too young to have seen Diaby play” 😀

Oh brace up Raddy
    I’ve looked it up, and Barca play PSG in the last game, so a trip to Spain is still on.

Having read all the comments here and elsewhere, everyone, well nearly everyone has reasserted an age old human foible, namely to scapegoat.

What the sod do you mean, may be your response, or not? 🙂

A scapegoat, was someone or something, OK, usually a goat 🙂 who was selected, fairly randomly, to be blamed or negatively criticised, often unfairly, for the ills or the guilt of mankind, or even a football club, it seems.

It had, has(?) a religious context to heap all the guilty sins on a goat and kill it so that people could start off with a clean sheet.

But actually many older societies, including the ancient Greeks would select a human sacrifice to carry the burden of societies ills, especially at a time of famine or plague, and to mollify their god they would bump off the unfortunate party.

My feeling is that a certain amount of that happens fairly frequently in footballing terms – and we are chatting about Arsenal here.

I was thoroughly engrossed in the game last night, until the second half when inexplicably, it felt, we started to backslide, and instead of going for the jugular we folded like a soggy cardboard box.

So, who were my scapegoats going to be? And that is where I have a problem.

Reading through the comments, here and elsewhere, I have a plethora of choices ranging from the Manager (yeah, OK) to individual players (hmm, lots to choose from), to …. well just about everyone including the tea-lady, it seems. 🙂

I pondered the finger pointing accusations of incompetence, naivety and arrogance etc and although I sympathise and agree, to some degree, with many of m’learned friends, and envied the brilliant 20/20 hindsight vision of many others, including my own, I could not find one scapegoat that satisfied all requirements.

That is not to say that some or all of the verdicts propounded are not accurate – they may all be true????

Finally, on careful consideration of all the evidence presented by so many of my friends and other bloggers, I eventually plumped for Giant Raddish’s comment that …… it was just another football game.

OK, it was full of ebbs and flows, with joy and despair dished out in copious quantities, from joy at our goals from Sanchez and the Ox, to full on nail-biting tension and angst as the tide inexorably swung against us — and I loved every moment of it — except for that damned final goal!! 😦

60. arnie says:

Micky and Raddy. 😛 since when was being sarky ill-advised on AA? I mean, for anyone other than Chas. 😛 Or are we trying to be sombre today? 🙂

RA
    Ox’s power and speed en route to his goal was spectacular

Sombre Arnie? I’m bloody miserable. Our defensive two, and we need both, has gone up in smoke, and we’re staring down the barrel of Jack or Aaron alongside Flamini. That’s a bloody disaster.

Forget about the result, we need a Debuchy back sharpish so that that Chambers bloke can fill the midfield.

Forgot to thank Kelsey for a great winge 🙂

64. Bryan says:

Another strange one to me, talking about Chambers playing DM , why did we never try Vermaelen there? I think he had the qualities.
    But really the best solution would surely be to buy a DM that is already a DM, simple

65. Bryan says:

Eddie at 2.51,
    I’m the same, have always backed Wenger to the hilt but now to me it is clear that we need a change.
    He has done a brilliant job at getting us CL football each year with his hands tied.
    But they are no longer tied & he can’t get his team to turn up for so many games, If Man U had one of those games like we had at Dortmund or Anderlecht or take your under Ferguson, you would not see it happen again for at least 6-8 months but it is happening all the time under Wenger.
    & it is inexcusable for us to start the season with lack of CB’s in the squad & no proper DM at all.

66. Bryan says:

or take your pick from most this seasons games*

67. SharkeySure(Reloaded??) says:

Afternoon all

RC78 said – “I was well annoyed with BFG and Rosicky as they did not show leadership to tell the guys on the pitch to tighten things up…”

I would expand that to every Arsenal player on the pitch. Each ad everyone of them must have played and watched enough football to undestand the changing dynamics as the goals go in.

68. SharkeySure(Reloaded??) says:

There was an attack which broke down and left four of our players within 30yds of the corner flag, I thin it directly preceded the equaliser.

Calling it schoolboyish is unfair on schooolboys

Bryan – Absolutely. Almost every Gunner was waiting for an arrival of at least one Defender all summer. That was before the injuries, which as usual we can rely on.

Negligence in my opinion not to have fall back plans going into a new season.

It is just too many bleeps, always something. I am just waiting for you-know-who to remind me that we are already 4th, contenders in 3 big competitions and it’s only November. I know all these. But we waited for many years to come off the blocks and into a flying start. And that’s not happening, again.

SS – yep. Are you still playing?

DidIt – check Karolina Winkowska

It’s true that we could all see the need to add at least one more player to our defense. But if we could then so could AW and I feel that the reason that he did not add is that he could not find the player he needed – and that will be causing him more angst than us.

I also wish we had an awesome 12th man just like Dortmund – but instead we have a contingent of disenchanted “fans” who choose to boo their team. I’ll never, ever understand them – it’s a bloody disgrace.

However all is not lost as Anderlecht need to beat both Galatasaray and Borussia Dortmund, while we have to lose to then both in order for us not to advance to the knockout rounds, albeit in second place.

73. arnie says:

Micky. 😦

Bit of a setback last night but nothing to get too worked up about.

Back to winning ways at the weekend…

75. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all. Good post Kelsey.

Everyone looking round for somebody to blame, What went wrong many are saying, Defence dodgy, Midfield to forward, attac king instead of conserving chances missed and cheap goals against. Offsided goal, No doubts whatsoever, Line judge watching with nobody in his sight only the player who was over a yard offside when the move started, Our defence was well aware of him and were playing the offside, but Platini had given his orders before the game, and the Officials duly obliged.

But still i cannot blame anybody but Arsene Wenger. 17 years consistently in Champions League and still he has learnt nothing.

Arsene i’m afraid is totally at fault, firstly for leaving weaknesses or what i have called holes in the past, and he still insists that those holes are not there.

A Champions League game and his only cover for defence is Belerin, what the hell is all that about.

Even so how can you blame players, when the manager assembles a team that has weaknesses, and lets face it no matter how much you love Wenger, 17 years and never looking like winning it, has to make you wonder why Wenger cannot see the light.

All he has to do, is tell the players to tighten up, and be resolute, but does he, No he lets them go gun Ho. That borders on the insane, who in their right mind lets their team who are 3 up, give away that 3 goals, and were lucky not to lose,

Wenger after 17 years should know about how Eufa works by now, and fool does. Every game, i look for a tame sending off or a bad decision, i have seen them all in 17 years but Wenger must have blinkers on.

Wenger has no idea of tactics, his supporters will say he is a genius, then why hasn’t he learned, and why are we always moaning about injuries, why are we always waiting for players to get fit, and why have we still got holes and weaknesses in important positions.

This is complete naivety, for a Manager with his experience, does he do it on purpose it certainly looks like that to me.

I am still aghast that a Gooner would choose to have Pulis as manager!

As to January – it must be coming soon as the shops are bedecked with Xmas fare and playing Slade/Wham etc etc – who should we sign?

Some AFC sites are talking up Cabaye who AW tried to sign pre-Flamini. Others talk of Khedira, but what of someone a bit more defensively aware? Hummels for example?

Or should I write a post about this?

77. arnie says:

Get writing, Raddy. 🙂

Pubis out! 😛

Raddy
    I’m with Arnie on this one. Nib out 🙂
    I was thinking of the teams above us in the league, and enviously eyeing the Southampton defensive duo of Sneiderlin and Wagamama or whatever they’re called.

Now you mention January window and Christmas shopping, I get all tingly thinking of visiting my favourite site Newsnow for transfer goss.
    Love it.
    I’ll start first thing in the morning.

Cheers, kelsey.
    Very restrained. 🙂

81. Sweeps says:

I paid £1000 for my ticket for this year and we are just into November and we are out of the Capital One Cup out of the title race and have no chance in the Champions League. You have no defence Wenger why can’t he see the huge problems that we have in defence. . We have become a laughing stock and a complete embarrasment.

Oh come on Sweeps, cheer up.
    One weekend between now and January, Chelsea lose one game and we win and bingo, six points behind with half the season to go.
    Hardly worth quitting the fight yet is it?
    We will spend pretty big in January, I can tell you 🙂

Wow Sweeps you got a bargain!! How did you get the ticket so cheap?

Right, where’s Chas.
    I want the low down on life in the squashy seats

Funnily enough Exile, my first thought was…bargain 🙂

Mmmm, don’t like that vid Chas posted of Pool fans having a go at Scholes.
    Clearly after the away game in Madrid, and they must be one of those Clubs that lock away fans in for an hour after the final whistle 😦
    None of that nonsense in either Dortmund or Bayern last season.

Dippers always get locked in.

Ah, special treatment. Quite right too 🙂

Ok. Drinks, nibbles, the hostess, some snaps?

Club or Box?

Club, but in separate Partners Suite i.e. CL sponsors.
    View from seats, Row 11 half way line.

Plenty of titting about all day.

Regarding what to do until Arteta fit and especially when Flamini gets suspended there are two names in our current squad who could do the job.

Kieran Gibbs and Ox.

Ox is the best midfielder out of our youngsters to be able to play the role, good in possession can move with the ball and can tackle.

And is actually one of our more intelligent players, he plays with head up all game.

Kieran Gibbs may be a bit of a curveball as his playing dm would mean Monreal shifting to left back, and Chambers or hopefully Koscielny returning to centre back.

Gibbs graduated through the youth ranks as a midfielder, is also calm on the ball and quite an intelligent passer, most importantly he could outstrip both Arteta and Flamini in a race over 60 yards, even if they only did 30 yards each in a relay. He could outstrip many others too and would be very useful to us in that role much more useful than Chambers who i think is far too young to be given the responsibility of holding midfield.

I need to go through our defence squad again for those who clearly don’t understand the meaning of back up or reserve and for those that repeat “truths” from the media like they are gospel without ever looking to see the real truth, like the one about only Wenger would go in to a season on such a gamble, Maureen never would……

Arsenal:

3. Kolarov
    4. Clichy
    5. Sagna
    6. Mangala
    7. Demicheles
    8. Nastasic

So tell me take Ivanovic breaks a leg next week and Cahill is struck down by an achilles problem, how solid do you think they would look? Is that a gamble by Maureen then?

Only Manchester City in the entire league have a better coverage of defenders than anyone else, yet i never hear the press go on about how Pellegrini has made sure his sides play is built on solid foundations.

93. arnie says:

Sweeps, my friend. Let us do a side deal, shall we? You have already taken benefit of the most exciting part of the season. In your opinion not mine. From now it is all downhill.

How about 500 quid on the secondary market? I can buy you a drink as well as a sweetener. How does that sound? Deal done? 🙂 Please let me know, I am anxious.

Bloody ell Chas you look almost respectable! 😀

Moooooore

Buffet was majestic.
    Bratwurst, Moules Mariniere, Mushroom Risotto, Steak, Gravilax, Pate, all sorts of salad plus beer and a very full-bodied red wine whenever you wanted.
    Half-time coffee and biscuits for those light in the loafers, beer and wine for us.
    Full time, beer wine and mini hotdogs galore.
    Flippin lovely all round.

Exile
    Coquelin has just cleared off on loan. A phone call?

GIE
    I was starting to get a bit ragged by then as we’d had a couple (no Jacques for me 🙂 ) on the train and a couple at the Faltering FullBack.

Sounds brilliant. Great evening.

I’ve been in Club a few times, but they never let me into the rooms surrounded by the cunning smokey glass.

You can see just enough to know what you’re missing 🙂

100. arnie says:

Chas. Now that we are both around. On to your question about cricket.

I started as a leggie and middle order bat. Modeled myself on Abdul Qadir and Mohinder Amarnath/ Gus Logie, respectively. 😛 Then, one season, I got spanked all over the ground, and in trying to develop a new delivery, lost my line and length completely.

An opportunity arose, and I tried opening the batting and bingo. I quit bowling then. I had three games against a visiting pro side and was never dismissed. Boycott style. 😛 That was when I got called up.

Many years later, when I started playing again in Cambridgeshire, I discovered that my dibbly dobbly gentle inswingers were actually quite effective.

Anyway, too old now, knobbly knees and poor eyes. Nostalgia. 🙂

Didn’t get in until 2.30 am. ‘Tatered today.

Ant’s birthday today. My old man was going to call him Guy.

Were you late back into your seats after half time? 🙂

Happy Birthday Ant.

Nice one, arnie.

I’ll have to ask Rasp what dibbly dobbly inswingers are. 🙂
    Come to think of it, I believe Boycott may have bowled gentle inswingers himself.

Arnie
    Did you ever play Cricket at St Andrews?

Don’t think we were late back.
    Can’t remember really. 🙂

The two chaps we were with didn’t come back to their seats for the 2nd half.

There is a chance Shaktar could win their group. Not sure Mrs Raddy will let me travel to Donetsk!

Haha, dibbly dobbly…….

It’s not war zone everywhere in Ukraine Raddy

Only place I refuse to go is Monaco, and Paris is close behind.

Oh sod it, it’s been too long, I’ll go anywhere

Right, off. Transfer speculation tomorrow? 🙂
    Back in my element is where I’ll be.
    Pip pip.

114. stevepalmer1 says:

Per Mertsacker, One of the slowest players, change that, The slowest player we have, goes up for every corner and free kick, very rarely does he get anywhere near the ball, but did once while standing on the near post, so now takes that as being his attacking position.

Mertsacker being 6’6 should never cross the half way line, as him going up for corners is a complete wast of time. Why does Wenger allow this to happen.

Our defence backs away on every opposing teams Attack, over and over we get punished and still we back off why.

Why do we keep a player like Diaby when its plain to everybody that this very gifted player as he has been described is incapable of stringing more than a few games together.

Why does Wenger play what some call a genius midfielder and play maker, on the wing.

Why does the manager only play our most accurate and most powerful shooter for only 10 minutes.

Why do we buy a young right back for 16 million then loan another young right back that cost us 1 million to west Ham

Why play our 16 million young right back, who most of us believe could be a holding midfielder, where we have shortages.

Why pay for young players, when Hayden is languishing in the reserves.

I am sure there are good reasons for this, but can somebody enlighten me

Steve, you did see the George Graham Arsenal side right? What is BFGsrole at corners, the same as that of Bould’s the near post flick from a standing jump. Never comesoffbecause our delivery is woeful.

Anyway let’s stop the naval gazing and open our eyes to Chavs drawing 1-1 in Maribor (exactly who?) with a defence I asked about above, and Man City with the spine to end all spines and the greatest centre back in the world (sic) losing 2-1 at home to CSKA to an even emptier stadium than the Emirates ever manages…..and get this they cut prices for tonight’s game and offered big group discounts etc etc.

And no one here seemed to watch them…..I didn’t. But considering Arsene is playing his strongest back line available and the others are choosing to play weaker teams who exactly is more in the wrong?

Chavs are pretty much guaranteed progression as are we. And City because they are in a group with Munich can still qualify despite having 2 points on the board.

But we of course are the embarrassment?

Here’s one small answer to your numerous questions, Steve. 🙂

I watched City, GIE.
    Admittedly that was largely because I can’t bear watching Chelski. 🙂

I also watched The Apprentice during the second half and missed the first sending off as a consequence.. Someone on twitter suggested that it would be great to watch The Apprentice with the Premier League managers asked to do some selling, planning, pitching etc.

119. stevepalmer1 says:

Thank you Chas, never knew about Hayden that answers that one 🙂

Thanks for your reply as well Exile.
    But if i speak the truth i am not bothered by Chelsea or City, but i am about the Arsenal.

In my eyes what we have done in the past is history in my eyes a great history granted, but now i am concerned about now, we had the money for the first time and we have weaknesses.

I look at the season we are Playing now, And i expect us to get the cover we need at the time, Maybe Wenger wants certain players and cannot get them, but that should not stop him from buying others.

Leaving us short, amounts in my eyes to be unacceptable, Flamoney was a stop gap and we still have him, Arteta the same, they do a job but you won’t win a lot planing like that

Wow Jamie Redknapp asking how Pellegrini can keep a big squad happy when they only have two competitions left?

Poor old Bacary has made 6 appearances (2 of which were in the Mickey Mouse Cup) including 3 defeats, 1 draw and 2 victories (but one of them was against the spuds , so doesn’t count 🙂 )

Steve I don’t particularly care about the others either but when we appear to be measured in terms of Maureen wouldn’t allow that and City have this yet the fact is they all have their issues and ours aren’t half as bad as our fans make out.

I’m not talking about history I was trying to explain why BFG goes to the near post, that is of course if Steve Bould is in charge of set pieces (I think he is as during his time as Youth team coach the near post flick was part of his teams armoury).

Chas was wondering what the sense of Tommys move to Barca was to get no game time, £15m and a 5 year contract to an injured player……we did well there then!

And Mauteen getting tetchy because the interviewer had the cheek to ask about the game against Lolerpool on the weekend.

124. stevepalmer1 says:

I understood what you were explaining Exile, but Merts is the wrong one to use.
    I am not a big Fan of Merts but i can see that his positional play is ok, but in a team with pace the last thing you need is your slowest defender in the opposing teams box.

I realise that i am no expert in tactics but i do know that a defender in the wrong half of the field is not good.

Personally i see Chambers in his position, Rough round the edges i admit but willing to work and chase back. and plenty of years ahead of him.

I know i question Wenger and i feel with good reason but he has brought well with the youngsters, I felt Sanogo was going to come good but i really dont see it now, but the others could and should improve.

125. arnie says:

Chas. 🙂

Happy birthday, Ant. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Micky. Yes, I used to play for the staff club in St Andrews. They play in the league as well. Toured all over eastern Botland. Good times. 🙂

126. Wolfgang says:

The Bg was exposed in a one on one and Anderlect scored the equaliser. You can bet Swans will try the same thing.

Big Tone was never beat in a one-on-one, or Frankie Mac, or Big Sol, or Dave O’Leary…

Oh… Wait a minute…

Chelsea are fantastic – they’ve already got the Title sewn up. Probably win he ECL too. That Mourinho – he’s brilliant – a master tactician don’t you know.

Out here in Canada I haven’t seen the Champs League scores tonight. How many did the Chavs win by against those part timers? Nine or 10 nil I’m guessing?

If only we had a manager like Maureenio – then we’d never draw with Champs League minnows, right?

All teams have their issues, as GIE wisely stated.

How come we are among the few sets of fans who demand perfection all the time?

Aaaaaaaasgghhhhhhhhh

132. arnie says:

Rocky. Superb rant. 🙂

133. arnie says:

Motning all.

Chas. Lovely dibbly dobbly from Boycott.

Which brings me to dibbly dobbly from Amarnath. 🙂 And batting of course. 🙂

134. arnie says:

How about this, Raddy? I like this guy’s music. From Leeds.

Morning all

I feel young as P.J.Proby is 76 today.

Crystals
    Does that make you seventy five and three quarters? 🙂

That’s amazing that City could easily still qualify having only 2 points from 4 games

I feel young because I don’t know who J P Proby is

I think J P Priestley wrote a shed load of books.

Video replays only a few years away?
    (Only for when the game has already been stopped though)

Those of a nervous disposition, look away now.

chas. Does Ant always wear lycra on the train?

“All red cards can be reviewed as there’s a game stoppage, and the same goes for all penalty kicks given, as there’s a game stoppage. It’s not to be used to review a possible PK when the referee hasn’t called it.

“It can take up to a minute for a PK to be taken after it has been given and it’s during that time that this new technology will come into effect, with the video official being able to ascertain whether the decision was correct or not.”

There’s a massive problem with this, the refs will just end up awarding the penalty and then letting the video ref decide as its only when they stop play that a decision can be given.

And the problem as I see it in football is this scenario:

Player goes down in area ball runs to keeper who throws it to full back who runs up wing crosses and centre forward scores.

Do we go back to the original decision? Do players and managers bring more gamesmanship to bring a halt to counter attacks and force ref to go to video.

We need an automatic offside decision system

Even when it’s cold out.

GIE
    I’m not sure what you mean about going back to the original decision as if the goalie has rolled the ball out, the play hasn’t been stopped so there’s no original decision.
    I definitely take your point about refs maybe thinking they have to blow up every single time a player drops to the floor in the area just to let the technology decide.

The natural break in play you have in tennis, cricket and rugby to a certain extent makes the replay more natural. Having to stop play in football to take a look has always been a sticking point.

I wonder why at least one of the officials can’t see an Anderlecht player 3 yards inside the area when their penalty is taken?

Does anyone have anything they want to use as post today?

I have a comfort blanket of a post from Norfolk Gooner that we could use if not.

Me and Raddy is clearly visible in that Dortmund vid. Happy Day 🙂

151. Nothing like a rendition of ‘by far the greatest team’ to warm you up. Thanks chas 🙂

152. ……… We have a New Post ……………………..

I can’t get a comment to post on the new one. Is there something wrong with it?