The One that your Arsenal missed

Chas posted a video the other morning that featured Eric Cantona, and it got me thinking.

My Wife does not watch football, but I do remember one occasion when she found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time as a Utd v Arsenal game was beamed into the Didit Moving Image Receiver.

The camera zoomed in to Cantona leading the United side out of the tunnel, and she “ooo’d”. What she observed was a supremely confident man, heaving with pride and a steely look of determination in his eyes. His body language screamed “proud”, “I’m The Daddy here” and “we do it my way”.

I agreed with her, and bear in mind she had no idea that this man was also blessed with incredible talent, and equally importantly for me, the unpredictable.

In life, I like people with an edge and real point of difference, and I would have loved Eric Cantona to have been an Arsenal player.

My question, then, is this: who would you have liked to see in the famous shirt. Clearly there are moments in our past where obvious gaps needed filling and that the team would have been a better unit for that plug, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

Let’s not be practical here, or even realistic, simply fantasists.

This is not going to be necessarily a comfortable or pleasant experience, as the chances are some of our targets’ veins will be running with the most unsavoury blood, and their DNA may scream unspeakable words like “Tottenham”. So be brave.

Written by MickyDidIt

141 Responses to The One that your Arsenal missed

Morning all

Perhaps we could mix this rushed job of a post in with the traditional Rant Friday.

Cripes, perhaps the two could overlap. Paul Gascoigne for example 🙂

Depends upon the time frame and whether the player would be in the AFC team of his day , or whether you mean the AFC team of 2014.

My first choice to fit into any team but especially 2014 would be Christiano Ronaldo.

The bloke may be all that I hate about modern football what with his “I have practiced this look in from of my full-length mirror” but my, what a footballer.

Scratch that – he would be in any AFC team I have seen.

Another would be to put PV4 into our current side.

Oh …. this is good. I have loads of ideas …… Nice work Didit

Micky. Ronaldo is an overlap 🙂

Raddy

Any player, any epoch

I really did like Gazza. Such an exciting player. I’ll have real issues with honesty today on this subject as some of my targets are pretty unspeakable!

Socrates

Two reasons. One, he’s Brazillian, the other, his name.

6. oh dear micky……… you’ve given me something to choose, not good for me, I have problems choosing what knickers to wear each day so generally go without!

George Best…….. in our 1960’s team that weren’t winning anything 🙂

More recently, Messi in our side of the last few years

And pure fantasy, Maradona and Pele… in whatever years they were at their best. Oh dear… creamed my panties, but because I’m not wearing any… drip drip 🙂

And for hair, has to be that Columbian bloke with the orange affro. Epic hair.

8. JM says:

Paolo Maldini.

Leader, ambidextrous, precise tackler with an imposing defensive presence and a true professional.

Renowned when playing @ left fullback, he also excelled @ centre back.

I have always enjoyed a crunching tackle, an art which seems to have disappeared from the game.

Marco Tardelli would be good.

I have ruled out Maradona and Pele as I didn’t think they fit into the English football style.

Ruud Gullit in his pomp?

JM. That is a great call alongside Baresi

Rasp/Peaches. Post not up on Newsnow as yet. Is there anything we can do about it?

12. Big Raddish………. it’s fantasy, Maradona and Pele. Get a grip man.

Talking of crunching tackles, I go back to my photo of Vinny and Gazzer yesterday:

I’d have Vinny in the team anytime:

13. Just on the subject of Vinny

A few weeks ago I fell asleep in front of the telly, not unusual these days 🙂 and I woke up about 2 am and there was a series on that had Vinny playing a sadistic Arsenal supporting killer. Does anyone know the series?

JM
    Maldini.. great call, but are you simply just trying to get Eddie and Peaches on your side? 🙂

Maria Sharapova at CB.

Height, muscles and grunts like John Terry. Perfect.

16. RA

Now that image makes me want to get back to playing football. She could grab my minuscules anytime when there’s a corner 🙂

17. RC78 says:

GK: Buffon
    Defender: Robert Carlos
    Box-to-Box: Gerrard
    Attacking Midfielder or 9 1/2: Zidane or Del Piero
    Forward: CR7

18. Micky

Paola Maldini, from your comment I take it that you think he’s a hunk 🙂

19. ok, nearly midday here in paradise, people to see, deals to conclude, wine to be drunk and sunshine to be enjoyed. Have a good debate………. Vinny rules, but I would still have Tony anytime!

20. RC78 says:

Have we already done a post of your All-Time XI Arsenal since the EPL started?

RC78. I can’t remember. Get writing!

22. RC78 says:

Aie Aie BR…message sent…cheers

23. JM says:

@Big Raddy (October 31, 2014 at 9:58 am)
    @mickydidit89 (October 31, 2014 at 10:18 am)

Among many of his interviews, here’s one:

Quote:
    {
    Interviewer (I): How do you overcome defeat?

Paolo Maldini (PM): Defeat is part of the game, therefore you have to accept it as such. I believe, as a sportsman, defeat is a normal thing. He who has sports spirit, let´s say of a certain level, has to accept defeat. Only from there you can depart to a new victory. You have to try to avoid it, since we professionals play in order to win, but defeat is part of the game. This applies also in life.

I: In which regard?

PM: It is the same in life. Maybe in different terms, but you can also here talk of a game, even though defeats in life are a lot more painful and they are more difficult to overcome.

I: And so how do you overcome them?

PM: You try to learn from your mistakes, because behind every defeat is a mistake and then you restart from there… When focusing on the future you can´t concentrate too much on the past, which applies for both good and bad things. Or maybe: Preserve the positive things, even in the most difficult moments.

I: What´s more like you: Regrets for having done something or tears for not having done something?

PM: Neither. Mistakes belong to what we´re doing, and they are important in order to improve, in order to grow. Apart from this I had such a beautiful life so far, that I cannot speak of regrets or of tears.

I: Are you also in life a defender, or a striker?

PM: (laughs) In my soccer life I have been born as a striker and therefore maintained some characteristics of a striker. I am not a big defender in life, even though I am a great traditionalist, because I am very fond of my family regarding the values my parents passed on to me and which I want to pass on to my children: The importance of family, for instance, I believe is important in any profession, for any person, especially when having such an intense life as I am living.

I: What´s your definition of soccer?

PM: Soccer means fun to me, and passion. Soccer is a group´s game and teaches not only to think of oneself but also of the colleagues. You learn a lot of things while you train in soccer compared to individual sports.

I: What is more important: Formation or the beautiful game?

PM: The technique! And its application.}

==

We could have done well with a “captain Paolo Maldini” type for a most part of the last decade.

24. Dave Mackay….Tottenham circa 1960’s, for me.

25. I’m a knot ear today, ghastly man flu and all that,but if the MDi89 asks I must reply I’d want Ivanovic in my side.

Not only has he the touch of nasties in him to give us some of the fear factor we have been lacking for way too long, but he is a Serb(my favourite East Europeans by far) who I have a special regard for them that makes me want to (almost)salute them without provocation.

Cheers Micky

Very busy so have to be brief.

Steve Archibald for me. All the women in the crowd would take one look at him and recoil in horror. The ones who survived the shock would then fall into my arms for comfort.

To scare away Crows and other wildlife, I would also take Garth Crooks

Forgot. Would also have taken that Pat Jennings bloke from Tottenham. Great keeper and top bloke.

Unfortunately even Tottenham are not that thick to let him go to Arsenal.

Very funny Terry – he was one of our greats.

………………………………………………………………………….

Pat Jennings 1977 – 1985

Pat was our keeper for 8 years and played 327 games.

Pat was born in in Newry, County Down, after playing for Shamrock Rovers under-18 side at the age of 11, he concentrated on Gaelic football until the age of sixteen, when he made his soccer comeback with his hometown side Newry Town. After impressing with Newry he moved to English Third Division side Watford.

He was signed by Tottenham Hotspur for £27,000 in 1964. Pat spent thirteen years with Tottenham where he played in 472 league games, and 591 in all competitions. He won the FA Cup in 1967, the League Cup in 1971 and 1973, and the UEFA Cup in 1972.

He played an unsuspecting role in Arsenal’s League and Cup double in 1971 as he was in goal for Tottenham when Ray Kennedy’s header flew past him as Arsenal famously wrapped up the title at White Hart Lane.

In August 1977, he was transferred to Arsenal, the fact that Arsenal enjoyed some of his finest years was largely thanks to a miscalculation by Spurs manager Keith Burkinshaw who incorrectly suspected that Pat was approaching the end of his career when he let him leave for Highbury. He found himself out of favour at Arsenal in 1982 as Scottish keeper George Wood assumed the No 1 spot, but he bounced back and regained his starting place until his retirement from club football in 1985. His long career ended in style with an appearance, at the age of 40, at the 1986 World Cup Finals in Mexico. It was a fitting finale for one of our greatest goalkeepers. In total, Jennings participated in the qualifying stages of six World Cups between 1966 and 1986.

After his retirement, he returned to Tottenham Hotspur, playing in their reserve side to maintain his match sharpness for Northern Ireland’s 1986 World Cup campaign. He was also briefly on Everton’s books, having been signed as goalkeeping cover for the 1986 FA Cup Final against Liverpool, Neville Southall having been injured playing for Wales.
    In 1973 the Football Writers association named him as its footballer of the year Three years later he won PFA’s version of the award – he was the first goalkeeper to receive this accolade, he also received an MBE and an OBE.

In 2003 Pat was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in recognition of the skills he demonstrated in English football

One of my choices would be Alan Shearer. Played 441, Goals 260, he remains the number one goal scorer in PL history.

30. RC78 says:

I really liked Ginola and Laurent Robert in their prime as well

Thanks for the post DidIt! I had nobodies you liked characters with an edge, I was sure you preferred the steady Eddie types.

I told you yesterday that I liked Eric so much that I called my cat’s kittens Cantona 🙂 I’m not sure about his writing or acting skills, but he was one hell of a footballer, in top 10 for me. Yep, at the time he would have been great for us, but not at present, too many fragile personalities at Arsenal, Eric would set them alive.

Another one that I loved was Zizou. I’m not sure he would flourish at Highbury, but I just dreamed of seeing him in our colours

Bloody iPad, sorry Micky , it should have been I didn’t know you liked….

33. Back from the bar, nicely calm and happy. Just sealed a nice job, about a months work for a very very good price. So in my current mood, here is my whole team selection according to Mickys criteria:

Lovely Jubbly, wouldn’t you like to those beauties in the Red and White 🙂

34. Bayonne Jean says:

OK, for a little bit of controversy….how about the one Southampton player who got away — Bale? Why?

– He would have truly flourished under AW;
    – He would have really tormented the LWCs;
    – He would have been much less likely to move from the Emirates, simply based on venue. I mean, compare the Bernabeu to the Emirates, and compare the Bernabeu to Shite Fart Lane;
    – Even if he did move to Real from Arsenal for that kind of dosh, AW would have put that to a far better use than did Levy. My mum could have put the money to far better use, FFS.

Then again, here, he might have been injured half the time. But hey.

Apologies to Norfolk for referring to him as NB rgarding his post yesterday. Purely a typo I meant to type NG.

Thanks for todays Micky. A very interesting topic. If I am looking at it as players that didn’t play for us that I really would have liked in the red and white (but not neccesarily as replacement for one of our greats) then I would go for :

Schmeichel
    Jaap Stam
    Paolo Maldini
    Zizou
    Zola
    Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo (gap toothed one)

Gb – only one please, not a whole team

Andy Cole…..oh no he did play for us but some twonk thought Kevin Campbell was a better option!

In seriousness I think we have always been blessed with good goalkeepers, maybe the period between Lehman and Szczesny could have been better with Van Der Saar but hardly a character. Maybe Banks in his pomp (but someone will correct me I think that would mean Jack Kelsey would have not had his shirt so long).

Defenders….as Raddy said a proper crunching tackler was always fun from the terraces it’s why I liked Nigel so much. Have there been many I think I would have loved more since I’ve been watching? Probably not.

Midfielders, hmmm Scholes, Toure, but again hardly exciting.

So it’s up front, one answer Marco van Basten. Partnering with Wrighty…..oooohhhh yeah that would have been good.

Halloween night tonight, I’ll be flying on my broomstick till midnight 🙂 since it’s a grumpy Friday I can admit to absolutely hating those little people knocking on the door begging for money and sweets!!! Where did such horrid custom come from?

Perhaps I should add that I started hating it when year after year I had neighbours complaining about their cars and houses being egged. I dreaded 31st October until my son was 20 and moved out. I’m sure he is still doing it somewhere

NB. What a fantastic track. I had forgotten all about that album. Onto I-Tunes right now to buy it.

Ok Eddie, despite the fact that others have mentioned more than one, but I do so love being scolded by you 🙂 , for you only I will pull one out of that lot. I can’t go for a Ronaldo, (gap toothed one), or Van Basten then in this case because I couldn’t put them ahead of TH14. Similarly no Zola over Dennis. It would be one that I feel I could have put into one of our great sides and improve it. In which case I plump for Ronaldinho.

Good answer GB 🙂

I am still thinking of players I liked and wished they were Arsenal…..it feels dirty but they are mostly red muncs – Georgie Best, Roy Keane and Gary Neville. But NEVER the horse face Ruud, no matter how good he was, hated him

43. RC78 says:

no one likes RVN…great goal scorer but so annoying on and off the pitch!

Wasn’t he just? With a face like his you’d think he’d be shy and humble, but no, oh no, even more arrogant than RvP

RC78, definite no to RVN for me. I always remember the debate about who would you prefer out of TH14 and RVN in your team when they were both vying for the golden boot. Some pundits actually went for RVN and I always thought “what are you smoking?”. There was not much difference in goals scored in a season but in assists, the variety of goals and general all round play Thierry trumped him massively. I bet Fergie would have swapped at the drop of a hat if he was able. For an out and out goal-scorer Shearer trumps RVN for me.

I know this is bad form but a player I would love to see in any AFC team is Cesc Fabregas. He is already showing his talent at the Chavs and it sickens me that we didn’t re-sign him.

Without question the best player at AFC since the Invincibles and I include Ozil, RvP and Alexis

Oh no Raddy, that’s the second time this year you’ve been “sickened” 🙂

Right off to google some of these NB Girls. Only heard of two, and I don’t fancy either, so my hopes aren’t high

GoonerB,

Is your reference to RVN – Robin Van Nursey?

Johan Cruyff for me and wouldn’t have been a bad choice as Manager

Oh dear, this isn’t going well. Done the attack and midfield and nothing yet. Mind you, they are all sporty women which isn’t my thing, but hey ho, I’ll press on in the name of research and respect for all NB’s hard work.

Can’t say I’m looking forward to the CB’s 🙂

Holy Crap, a boxer at left back. Yikes NB

Ok NB, have you ever been arrested for making inappropriate advances on young skinny blondes? 🙂

Not many skinny blonde men where he lives.micky 🙂

Micky what was the other time? Needless to say there have been many occasions that I haven’t mentioned on the site—- sitting next to a massively overweight, stinking woman on a 3 hr flight to Nice was one …..

It’s my fault, Micky.

I suggested Maria Sharapova at CB and NB went bonkers!! 🙂

I think NB is more the the to go for Billie Jean King or Martina – he is just too embarrassed to admit it

I have just had 5 groups of kids knock on my door expecting me to give them sweets. Instead I give an apple and they look at me as if I am crazy

I don’t know, kids today ….

Raddy
    In Denmark, are you allowed to hit other people’s children? Sadly, it’s been banned here. Sickened is what I am 🙂

Raddy and Micky 🙂 🙂 I’m with you on this. Kids on planes and on Halloween are a menace

60. ha ha So Micky admits to not liking sporty women 🙂

It’s interesting doing an exercise like that, a pattern starts to develop, like young skinny blonds lol 🙂 and Mickuy, the boker is a bit tasty no?

See you can blame it all on Redders, if he hadn’t suggested Maria at CB I would have gone on a day of fantasizing about an all female team. And remember Didit, you did state in your original post:

“Let’s not be practical here, or even realistic, simply fantasists.”

The only men on here who’d fancy Bille Jean and Martina are GLIC and Stretch 🙂

61. That should have been, *The boxer is a bit tasty*

Ah the boxer. Mmm, it’s just the thought of what might occur were she to be displeased with my performance 🙂

63. Yes Micky, I could see that as a problem 🙂

Yeah, me too
    “Ting, ting. Round five Didit”
    “You’ve got to be ‘king joking Rousey”
    Bosh

65. You mean you’d manage to get to the fourth round 🙂

Micky – Are you saying that you can go 4 rounds??!!

Nb – snap 😉

You’ve got to be ‘king joking 🙂

Must go

69. arnie says:

ha ha ha, brilliant idea Micky!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

My choices:
    Franck(enstein) Rubbery
    Mr Cannibal

Alright, I will bite the bullet and admit. May Roy Keane as well! 😛

70. arnie says:

Roger Milla
    Valderrama

Just because they are characters

71. arnie says:

What do the final two have in common with Cantona?

Montpellier.

That brings me to Ollie. Much maligned but a fighter with a big heart IMO.

Nb – blagger, init

Thankfully Trick or Treaters respect the lack of pumpkin round here and don’t knock if there isn’t one.

Some inconsiderates are having their fireworks tonight which is all a bit annoying especially for the dog bless him.

Funniest thing I’ve heard this week was a clients manager moaning about Trick or Treat not being British thing, and said its basically begging and generally blaming the Septics, I have no problem with the blaming the Septics bit as I’m not a big fan, but it was the begging line which was swiftly followed by a line about how this time of year should be about Guy Fawkes, I askedhin if he ever did Penny for the Guy, he replied enthusiastically “yes always”.

I didn’t like to point out the obvious and he didn’t see it either just went off a bit more about tradition blah blah blah. In his defence he is a Spud.

GIE. Spud Logic 😀

75. arnie says:

GiE. 🙂

76. arnie says:

Lovely music, NorthBank. 🙂

Game day!!! Go on Micky, say it “it’s only Burnley”
    All tickets sold out , theo playing, I can smell a big win

None of those pathetic peace loving Beatles tosspots

Definitely loved this woman

Eddie

Thrash the northern bastards 🙂

I knew you’d forget carling cup semis some 5 years ago!

She was a scarey Mary, where us she now?

Oh she’s still around

….living proof that drugs don’t kill 🙂

Being boring is the big killer Eddie. You know that 🙂

Morning All

Can you spot the young Kelsey?

Christ on a bike Micky. That was an awful musical start to the day. Couldn’t you find any more Berlin music? How about this …… 33m hits on youtube 😀

I do like a no shit girl, and a german accent helps. Nina Hoss here

Raddy
    I refuse to push play on that rubbish, Crystals or no Crystals 🙂

Ooo, here’s a Berliner Voice and a half

OK. I can take the Manics. Nice blokes. Lead singer married one of my old Saturday staff who went on the work at CBS/Sony

Anyway. One of the many things that sickens me is when I get up in the morning, get the coffee brewed, go the fridge for some milk … and there is none. Someone used the last of it without telling me.

The first coffee of the day is a thing of beauty and now it is ruined. So, I have to go out and buy some; though this has it’s upside – they sell milk in the bakery so a couple of Danish pastries for breakfast and BR will be returned to his happy, hippy state

90. My team XI selection yesterday was all sports women and to be honest, picked from random but some were very sporty. However, last night i went to bed dreaming of my ultimate female XI. And here it is, I think Micky will know a few more of these lovelies. I wouldn’t mind managing them and sharing the bath after the match. 🙂

Marlene. Now that is a proper woman. Those eyes ….

Oooohh
    edith piaf non je ne regrette rien

Coffee with milk would ruin my day 🙂 black, uber strong and lots of it

94. Music to accompany my wine and chorizo this morning:

She didn’t get into my first choice team but she’s on the bench 🙂

Nina Hagen is from Berlin. This has Cellos as well 🙂

NB – I’d have him on my team 🙂 off to cemetery, All Saints today, visiting dead relatives. I rather like it, they live on in my memory

Cellos and sea, of course. She is horrid though 🙂

An altogether better looking line up NB.

Still some googling to be done though

99. Now we know Michys taste in women, not sporty, rather large and with German accents….. I sense a little S and M ……Didit 🙂

…and bonkers . I fit the description 🙂

Confident in the bedroom is a must NB 🙂

Oops, can’t do that 😦

103. oh yea Micky, confident women who take the initiative, you’d like it here in France 🙂 But German and Dutch women do it better.

Burnley is notorius for inbreds. I once went to a game there were I saw several people who actually had a head like a horse and then they do this strange dance motion at games where their over sized hands flop all over the place and their legs buckle.

Nevertheless I expect a resounding win 🙂 Just finished my preview.

I don’t think Theo is fit something about breaking a finger nail.

I can’t understand these blokes who ogle over good looking birds 🙂

Anyway I am off to bed.

Like a bit of cello music I do 🙂

Theo played in the U21’s last week, so must be very close. Anyone know more?

Ok, let’s try this
    Who’s definitely on the sick list beyond Mesut and Kos?
    ps Long Ball Ollie doesn’t count 🙂

108. The most powerful piece of silence in music ever>

Love the music NB

Struggle with those life words. The one fits all type of model.

Avoid loud and aggressive people (yikes, that’s me)
    Listen to the dull and ignorant (do I really have to)
    Enjoy your achievements (don’t have any)

And so it goes on 🙂

110. ha ha Micky

I didn’t mean to post the vid with the words…. but they are quite relevent to Arsenal blogs 🙂

Me and you never get together, both loud and aggressive would only end badly 🙂

111. arnie says:

motning all. lovely music.

matchday? what matchday?

oh, its only Burnley. must win, then. 😛

Those Cello chaps do a fantastic version of Highway to Hell. I watched on of their concerts a few weeks ago. Terrific.

Mmm, don’t know about that NB. All my friends are loud and aggressive, but then again, I don’t really like my friends 🙂

114. arnie says:

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes the decline of street football means Europe struggles to produce top quality forwards like Chile’s Alexis Sanchez.

Didit. I thought we were friends 😦

And I am the last person to be considered aggressive … loud perhaps

arnie. Doesn’t make AW right though.

Germany are World Champions and Spain before them. Best player in the world is Portugese.

Hardly hotbeds of street football.

117. micky, I mellow with wine…. lots of it 🙂

Did you know that Diana Dors real name was Diana Fluck? Wonder why she changed it.

119. I just couldn’t imagine Raddish being agressive. I don’t know him personally obviously but hehe man… he’s cool, and apparently loud 🙂

120. Raddish,

Fanny Chmelar should have changed her name.. 🙂

NB
    Raddy bullshits. He has an aggressive side alright, and if you want to witness his ugly side for yourself, go to a game in Dortmund with him, hire a car, and put him in charge of the satnav, and even if you don’t put him in charge, he will seize the power. He’s a hippy when it suits him 🙂

Big Daddy was called Sharon or something

Morning Raddy, et al,

I accept you may be right that ‘street football’ may not be big in Germany, Spain and so on, but whenever I have been to Spain (in the less touristy parts) the beaches in the evenings (after school?) and at the week-ends were full of young Spanish guys strutting their stuff, brilliantly, in makey up beach games — and in front of bikini clad beauties – obviously.

Whenever I attempted to join in, they happily stuck me in goal and delighted in smashing the ball at me.

This helped my reputation, because it appeared that I was making some great saves, when actually because I am a lump and slow moving – I could not get out of the way. 🙂

Still take it where it comes.

Anyway, AW may be wrong about the streets (I would not know) but the beaches are another thing. Portugal?

Technically, Ronaldo was born and raised in Madeira, not Portugal. 🙂

“in makey up”

Is that like what trannies wear?

Guess I’ll ask Chas when he gets back 🙂

9:30 Come on. Push the button. Things to do

Tranny beach games? You do live in a parallel universe, Micky.

😀 😀

I went to school with a boy named Thomas Artoe. Honestly

Actually, it’s a long story, but I used to know a lot of them. All Brazilians.

Ooops, cancel that, my mistake. They were transsexuals, not trannies 🙄

OK, OK, Keep your hair on,. I was waiting for Raps or Peaches to do the header thing but they are still sleeping …..

New post

Ha ha Raddy, that’s so cruel. I used to know an American whose first name was Randy. If that wasn’t bad enough, his middle name was Hyman !!!

Shirley Crabtree,micky