There’s Only One ……

First things first……

Congratulations to Mr. Wenger on his 18th Arsenal Anniversary. You do not look like a man who enjoys a cream cake and a bottle of Asti Spumante so instead we will take the cheap route and send best wishes.

What a fantastic ride it has been from the DB10 years, through the TH14 years and now onto the DW23 era. Thank you.

Unknown-1

“I left the Afghan coat in the 2CV”

Right, let’s get onto what will be a difficult game. It would be a tough one had we been on form and given our inability to find cohesion this season ย …. yadda yadda yadda.

Galatasary are only in the competition because their city rivals and league champions Fenerbahce were very bad boys and not allowed to play in the CL so the Turkish runners-up took their place. ย They like Italian managers and have employed both Mancini and Prandelli over the past season – we can expect a compact, counter attacking team. They have some fine players including the mercurial (read unreliable) Sneijder. In Yilmaz and Pandev they have strikers who will cause problems to our brave lads but as always in CL games at The Emirates it will be the quality of the opposition defence which will determine tonight’s result.

And talking of defensive quality, let’s talk Eboue. Tonight should have seen his return to his real home club but instead poor Emmanuel will be sitting elsewhere. His star has faded in Turkey and as far as I can find out Eboue hasn’t even travelled with the squad. Apparently he has been relegated to the reserves. What a shame. It would have been great to hear “You’ve only come to see Eboue” sung once more at THOF.

Onto The Arsenal. Much is made of our injury record and with good cause. Just a few games into the season and we have already lost 4 first team starters (and Diaby is being rested for tonight ๐Ÿ˜€ ). It must be hugely frustrating for Mr, Wenger to see his squad depleted year after year. However, as always it gives opportunities for others to shine and a few games for the Ozil/Alexis combo to fire.

With so many midfield and attacking options picking a team is guesswork but ย …

My Team:1st october

Hard to leave out Cazorla who is such a marvellous player. Perhaps my line-up is too attacking though Alexis is very good at tracking back and helping the midfield. It will be fascinating to see how the team sets up when Walcott returns in just a few weeks.

Against Spurs Ox had a fine game and I expect him to continue his good form tonight. Last season’s injury robbed him of a breakthrough year; at almost 21 he is on the path to super-stardom and a run of games will convince Mr Wenger that The Ox is undroppable (hopefully!). AW predicted that Ox will be a central midfielder …. we shall see.

I am always loathe to predict a victory but if Arsenal are to progress we have to win tonight. 10 points is the target and given the drubbing we got in Dortmund we cannot assume we will beat them at home (of course we will BR – you doomer), so a win and a draw away plus two home victories will be enough.

A win tonight will set us up for a tough game at Chelsea. It will also give a boost to the fans at the Emirates who are starting to lose the feel-good factor left over from the FA Cup win.

On an Anniversary night Let it be So.

written by Big Raddy

196 Responses to There’s Only One ……

Thanks Raddy and I like the team. Would like to see the Ox to the right of Ozil / Welbeck and Mesut in behind Welbs. I think I would also prefer to rest 1 of the 3 out of Per, Kos or Chambers with the weekend’s game in mind. Right off for a bit.

Nailed it, BR.
    Must win game tonight. Three points essential.
    At least Dogbra isn’t playing for the Turks anymore. ๐Ÿ™‚

I put a couple of Billys up on yesterday’s post, including a belting smoking photo for Micky.

Billy Gallas.

chas. Pic is superb …. bring it over here.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all,

Thank you BR another fine pre-match post.

Word is that Wilshere will be on the bench this evening, the lad’s being saved to savage the Chavs at the weekend.

Cazorla will probably get to start, although I would like to see Coquelin given a go alongside Flamini.

Wot no food references BR?

I remember a delicious meal of Sea Bass fillets in the Megri Restaurent in Fethiye’s Old Town, about twenty years ago.

5. Shubham says:

Good post BR.

The game tonight will be a physical one. Gala don’t play tiki-taka fancy football. They will know that with all the injuries, Arsenal will adopt safety first tactics to their physical approach. Remember they have Phillipe Melo who is a disaster waiting to happen. Hope we can evade their initial pressing and catch them cold with a sucker punch early in the game. Pray all players come out safely. Anymore injuries and we’ll have to play Chelsea with a Carling Cup team…COYG!!

Billy Milne played for us and then became assistant trainer to Tom Whittaker.
    Spark us up one, Billy.

7. Good pre-match Big Raddy

I would have thought a more attacking team selection would have been best. Why isn’t Campbell being used alongside Welbeck? Sanchez and Ox out wide, Ozil just behind in midfield.

I know our defensive players are hit with injury but I’d like to see Chambers played at DM instead of Flamini. More energy, more control, tackles easily and without fouling. Time he was put into that spot. It’s what Wenger said when he bought the lad.

NG. I used to go to the resorts around Bodrum 20+ years ago when Olu Deniz was just a tiny village – you would not believe it now!!

Food is only for away games. I have yet to find a theme for the home matches

9. BR

Ask the TRANSPLANT man about some Finsbury Park Bubble and Squeek. ๐Ÿ™‚ for match a day food theme.

10. RC78 says:

We gotta play Cazorla and I think we need to have more bodies than usual in the middle as well…

Szecesny – Chambers, BFG, Kos, Gibbs – Rosicky, Flamini, Wilshere – Cazorla – Ox, Alexis

11. RC78 says:

Fellow gunners – any of you coming to Brussels for the CL Game vs Anderlecht? If so, let me know…

Will not be watching tonight’s game as I am off to Malmรต to see them take on Olimpiakos.

Small ground = Great atmosphere.

But my heart and mind will be at the Emirates

Here’s the first two ๐Ÿ™‚

ha ha ha ha “Youโ€™ve only come to see Eboueโ€ ๐Ÿ™‚ I bet you any money Raddy that the fans will sing it regardless. At least I hope they will

I think Santi will start tonight. He is in form and fans’ favourite. Are you sure about DW23 era? Not like you to jump the gun

thanks for the PM, now I am looking forward to the kick off

thanks for letting me know about our Billys, have to remember them in case I meet the Kid again; what a little character ๐Ÿ™‚

RA – from yesterday – correct, the ‘man’ didn’t insult me until he knew I was a foreigner. Until then he told me to put dogs on the lead. Plus listen, if you were really scared of a dog you wouldn’t attack the owner, would you? Would he start shouting at a young man with a staffie and an alsation? Would he feck

ok, I am off to meditate.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here’s the hundredth scorer under Wenger.

11:28 is gross
    Wenger is one of those men who mature nicely, he looks better now than he did in his twenties

A tour de force, Sir Radford. ๐Ÿ™‚

Two excellent consecutive Posts, and the pre-match has taken on a new personal touch of late. Me like! ๐Ÿ™‚

Watched the chav game last night and I must say I was not that impressed with Cavalho. He is a DM, not to be confused with an HM. It was the first time I have seen him play but first impression is that he is in the Alex Song mode.

LB, interesting as I was going to ask last night if anyone was watching that game and could give an appraisal of him. Can I just clarify LB, is your definition of a holding midfielder one that sits more in a disciplined role in front of the back 4? If so do you mean that as a DM he had more of a free role?

GoonerB,

I have seen Carvalho before, and last night confirmed my impression that he is tall, well built — and very slow.
    As a result he turns like an oil tanker.

Not impressed, and pretty relieved we did not buy him.

Great PM Raddy, at least for once AW has an easier choice of who to play – the Ox or Cazorla? anyone’s guess!

GoonerB, I think LB means that if the goalie is the Coccyx, then Carvalho plays in the lumbar region as opposed to Khedira who is more of a thoracic player ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m all for lumbar midfielders – its those damned lumbar players who think they should be up in the cervical area you’ve got to keep in check!

One shouldn’t confuse a player who has time on the ball with one described as being slow ….

26. Wenger just needs to keep putting those pennies in the jar each week and save up for Pogba. In world football I don’t think there is anyone else better for either DM or HM or Box to box. He does it all and still time to develop.

27. Actually, having just read what I’ve just written about Pogba, I think we have that player in Chambers. As long as he is given the chance to develop, stay away from the Arsenal injury jinx and is allowed to play at the back of midfield occasionally, he is the one.

He is calm, takes the ball off opposing players with ease and without making a foul, passes well and accurately and has a hell of a right foot if he takes a shot (as witnessed last week).

I like that suggestion – who are we going to sign to take over from The BFG then nb? ๐Ÿ™‚

A fair point Rasp.

A player who has great skill and appears to have time to do what he wants when he has the ball is one to be admired.

A player who runs the 100m in 10 secs, like Walcott is quick.
    A player who runs 100m in 20 secs is comparatively slow.

Without the ball, Carvalho looked to me as if he was slow getting to the opposition player with the ball, or when turning as they moved away from him.

If you disagree, I will change my mind. ๐Ÿ˜‰

30. Rasp

I think decent CB’s are easier to find than decent DM’s….

Taking your point on board, NB, I think we should play Chambers in midfield tonight, and play Bellerin at right back.

He would give the midfield a bit more beef to go with the skill sets.

I agree its almost a waste of Chambers’ talents to make him a centre back, I can see him being a very effective DM/HM.

I don’t think manu (or Arsenal) found it that easy to find a top CB ……. ยฃ50m for Luiz???

It’s a good sign if AW has stated that he thinks CC would make a HM …. he never listens to my suggestions ๐Ÿ˜•

34. Rasp
    We found a good CB/LB and HM with Chambers…. but he needs to be developed in one position and for me that is DM/HM. If Wenger found that little gem I’m sure he can find another to replace the 30 year old BFG. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rasp, it sounds like you know your stuff. I honestly can’t comment being a camel wormer by trade, with a penchant for morris dancing. Anything you want to know about worms on desert animals or silly costumes and I’m your man.

I keep changing my mind about which DM (holding midfielder) I would like. Players like Carvallho or Rabiot may turn out great but there is a risk as to whether they will become top players in the EPL.

I keep switching my mind back to Khedira who I think is more of a known quantity in terms of being a big lad but with good pace and technique. He offers a lot going forward so could be considered more a free roaming DM rather than a more disciplined in front of the back 4 man. I do however have a conversation ringing about my head with a friend where he saw an interview with Maureen who praised Khedira highly and said although he is versatile he has the discipline to play any role you ask him to.

I agree with Northbank at 10.24 that it would be nice to try Chambers soon. He looks to have everything needed and could actually be better than all the options we are looking at in the market. The question is, is it easier to bring in a top DM (holding) and keep Chambers as a top developing CB or is it easier to find a new top CB and promote Chambers into a top holding midfielder. Part of me is thinking about the latter.

Fair point nb, but I think he was looking for another CB on top of the purchase of Chambers – and with little success.

I don’t know if there is any foundation to the much repeated report that we are interested in Smalling – why would they let him go?

I like the thoracic/lumbar explanation.

I agree it would be easier to find a decent CB. There are a few around in the PL.

Started writing my 1.04 at 12.20, got side-tracked with phone calls and now find you have all been discussing the point I was going to make. Sorry to be repetitive. In short I agree with NB and Rasp.

Raddy, I agree if possible get an EPL defender

BTW when using the word cervical make sure you say it correctly. I am not good at these phonetics but it should be cervical (“servaical”) and not cervical (“servicle”). Any kind offers to help young ladies with their cervical problem using the latter pronunciation will likely end in a short custodial sentence.

40. If some of the half decent young CB’s at teams such as Stoke, Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Hull etc wouldn’t want to come to the Arsenal to be understudy to the BFG then there must be something seriously wrong in football.

41. Time to open a bottle of wine, cook some lunch and then sit on the balcony and soak up some vitamin D……… laters. ๐Ÿ™‚

I knew it was bad – but not this bad.

……………………………………………………………………………………..

Arsenal players suffered almost 900 injuries in 12 years – study.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has lost three key players to injury, ahead of games in the Champions League, and Chelsea in the Premier League

Arsenal players have sustained 889 injuries since August 2002, according to a report by PhysioRoom.com.

Arsene Wenger’s side is currently suffering from its latest injury crisis after Aaron Ramsey and Mikel Arteta joined long-term absentees Olivier Giroud and Mathieu Debuchy on the sidelines.

Ramsey is set for a month out after picking up a hamstring injury in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham while Arteta suffered a calf problem.

Abou Diaby, who has recently returned to fitness, has endured 40 separate injuries, according to the study, while Theo Walcott, who is currently recovering from a serious knee problem, features 42 times.

Abou Diaby has recently returned from injury.

Other regular names on the injury list are Tomas Rosicky with 36 and Kieran Gibbs with 27 fitness problems.

PhysioRoom.com claims 120 of the injuries were of the hamstring variety while six anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) have been suffered.

This week, Wenger admitted he does not understand why his club are suddenly in the midst of an injury crisis.

Arsenal are next in action on Wednesday night in the Champions League against Galatasaray, having lost their opening Group D game to Borussia Dortmund.

BR,

As usual you have given us a fine pre-match, I like your line up and hope AW agrees…………..

โš ๏ธ

What is your 1:50 symbolic of BR?

This may be very simplistic but here goes…….

Our style of football is very different to any other PL club and I’m wondering if it is one of the contributing factor’s in our injury crisis.

Due to our style, short passing, flicks, lots of twisting and turning etc – these sorts of muscle contortions followed by a quick sprint away may inadvertently cause damage.

Another factor could be the amount of serial fouling that is inflicted on our team, it’s so rampant that it’s become an opposition strategy. We are continually tripped up, kicked in the heels, kicked in the shins which again contributes to tender/damaged legs and muscles.

Who knows? certainly not this blogger!

Not that anyone could be assed to reply to me today, but before I go, I copied some of Chas’ link to Arsenal fans tweets after watching Carvalho play against the Chavs.

A) On the basis of tonight’s display, Wenger was right not to purchase Carvalho for ยฃ24m. Completely overrun in the midfield!

B) As far as i am concerned,this william carvalho guy has being all hype and no substance. Not sure he’s what we need IMO

C) Not convinced by Carvalho at all. He’s a Momo Diame at best.

D) William Carvalho is certainty that type of player Arsenal’s midfield needs…tall..Strong..good passing range

Pretty much what I was saying.

And all that fuss people made about naughty, mean Wenger not buying him!!

Still Rasp liked him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmmmm … selective quoting Redders ๐Ÿ˜›

You missed off the last 2 positive tweets that balanced the article. I did not see the game, but by all accounts Carvalho didn’t set the world on fire – but as we know from Gilberto, if a DM is really good you hardly notice him, because he is not there to be spectacular. Breaking up the opposition’s attacks is the prime function.

GoonerB

That is again a very good question and one that has made me reassess my own understanding of the difference between a Defensive Midfielder and a Holding Midfielder.

Hopefully, at the very least, there should be the common understanding that there is a difference between the two.

Up until now I always thought of a DM as a player whose primary skill set is one of defending. Everyone seems to agree that the best example of a DM is Makalele. I certainly do but I also see players like this as being very limited.

I believe we have a DM in Flamini: he acts a shield in front of the back line. But none of us expect him to conduct the midfield or to seriously augment the attack, which yet again is the same as Makalele.

Wenger said recently that DMs don’t really exist anymore in the modern game (I paraphrase of course) and went on to say that the role has evolved into what is now known as a Holding Midfielder. So, I have since started to think of this as a more skilful role from which Arteta comes to mind.

The Spaniard is far more of a conductor than Flamini but he is not quite as good as Flamini at defending.

This should work perfectly; we don’t need a DM against teams like Palace etc whose intention is to simply park the bus. And that means we don’t need Carvalho in such games, an Arteta is far better suited.

But against Chelsea, well a DM would be very useful and this is where Flamini comes into his own.

The ideal situation would be to have a player who is skilful enough to cover all roles. Roy Keene is a horrible piece to work but a very good example; he could play DM, HM, he was also an attacking midfielder who would add to the teams goal tally, put simply he was the model all round midfielder.

I like Roy Keane. What about PV4 then?

great documentary, this one

Ahh, I was going to add a bit about PV4.

The answer to the comparison is the amount of goals that each scored.

I find Roy keene an odious character although I am sure my view would have changed has he worn the glorious red and white of Arsenal.

I met Roy Kean once. He was signing his book at Waterstones many years ago and I queued for hours in the rain with my copy. Why? Well, because he is from Cork and hates Dubliners, and I wanted to challenge him (no, that’s not the reason I always get into trouble). My turn came, we shook hands, all smiles, small talk until I asked him to write ‘Come on you Dubs’. He almost flipped and said no way. But he did ๐Ÿ™‚ The Dubliner I gave the book to still carries it around the pubs, but people think he faked the signature

Needless to say I think Keano is gorgeous, was, until that beard that makes him look like a Jihadist

Nice story Eddie.

54. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, Raddy. And a double bill as well. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Sadly, knot ear, but just to say. I love your team. COYG. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Having said that, you write: “Hard to leave out Cazorla who is such a marvellous player. Perhaps my line-up is too attacking though Alexis is very good at tracking back and helping the midfield.” I agree.

Hence, why not swap the positions of Alexis and Jack? And then, why not Santi in place of Jack? Just asking! ๐Ÿ˜› I am coming to believe that in the long run, the best position for Alexis may well be the forward of the two DMs.

Wrestling for possession in the MF, taking out opposition players and setting the Oz on to his wizardry and the fast runners on to chase through passes.

Just an opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

55. Bayonne Jean says:

The list of 100 players who have scored for AW has sparked a debate among my mates:

Kim Kallstrom isn’t on the list. He scored from the spot in the shootout at Wembley. Shouldn’t he then be included in the list of “scoring”? Not a goal, technically speaking, but it is putting the ball in the net and it did impact the final result, right? Are there other players who have only scored in a shootout for AW?

At least an honorable mention, maybe?

56. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Raddy.

My congratulations to Arsenals Longest serving Manager, and the Premier league’s. Longevity is the key to being successful, Many supporters felt we should have done a City or a Chelsea and changed managers willy nilly,

Of course none of those have ever been in a job for long enough to call them long term but of course we have to say that they have won a few trophies between them all, all beit from built squads by others.

Longevity not only describes why a man keeps a job for so long, but top fours is consistency, and squad after squad has been built by our manager.

I know Raddy’s post is about tonight’s game as well, but i feel that it is important to know that our manager has got us to another Champions League match again,and whether we win or lose it is still a remarkable feat.

Wenger has assembled a very decent squad of players again, as he has for quite a few years now, but like most years, injuries have been unkind to us again.

If i was to criticise Wenger at all, it would be what i call his soft side, by that i mean how he sticks with certain players who’s history of injuries would not be tolerated by poorer clubs.

Van Persie Walcott Diaby Ramsey Wilshere Gibbs to name just a few Yes they all showed potential but the amount of wages paid out to players unavailable for so many matches, must be an Arsene Weakness, But would i change him, not on your Nellie.

3.1 to the good Guys COYRRGs

57. arnie says:

Apols, forgot to wish Le Prof many many happy returns ….. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think the galatasaray fans just went by finsbury park. Lots of noise and smoke bombs.hope it was in good spirits and they are not up to mischief. First beer 2 mins away.

Not that I want to reawaken the discussion about what constitutes the difference between a DM or a HM, the following based on an Arsenal FC interview.

It reflects the possibility that Diaby might play tonight, and also gives an indication that an HM and a DM are one and the same (?) it seems. ๐Ÿ™‚

— ‘Abou Diaby has revealed he has spoken to manager Arsene Wenger about the possibility of playing in the holding position this season โ€“ in order to address Mikel Arteta’s recent injury and the shortage of midfielders in his squad.

After the North London side failed to secure a defensive midfielder this summer, the French boss recently claimed he wants the 28-year-old midfielder to act as a back-up for Arteta and Mathieu Flamini.

Wenger said, “I try to transform it [Diaby’s position]. I tried to develop him in a deeper role, I think he can do it. He can be very interesting because he has all the attributes to do it. After, he must love it as well because he’s more of an offensive-minded player”

Diaby has now hailed Wenger’s proposal, claiming he is likely to become more defensive-minded and adapt to the boss’s new demands.

“[Wenger and I] have spoken about it and it could be an option. The boss told me he could see me playing in that position and that he thinks I have the ability to do it”, Diaby said to Arsenal’s official website.

“I’ve never played there before, so it’s something new for me, but I think it could be an option for the team and for myself to add something to my game.”

Diaby ruptured the cruciate ligaments in his left knee during a training session in March 2013. However, after a more than one year recovery he is now ready to help Wenger to replace Arteta, who was injured during the North London derby on Sunday.

“I have an attacking mentality so to stay back and create the link between the defence and attack is something new. I would like to get used to it, to learn how to be effective in that role if I play there, and then we will see.

“The way I see the game will be different, as will my position. I need to learn how to do that effectively.”

Diaby is yet to make a Premier League appearance this season but Wenger already handed him an opportunity during the Capital One Cup defeat against Southampton โ€“ while he has also played a couple of games with the Under 21 side to adapt to the new role.

“First of all, when you play in this position, you have to be effective defensively. I would need to track back, break up play and also avoid the opponent from playing through the lines.

“For me, those are the first things. At the same time, you are always involved, you take a lot of touches and you need to make sure that you play the right passes to find strikers and midfielders in good positions. You need to be able to contribute to both sides of the game.”

Do you think he has been reading AA recently? ๐Ÿ™‚

Rasp @ 4:02

“Selective quoting’? your eminence? Not at all.

You never made any such statement, but you should know that I do not let such niceties interfere with my comments. ๐Ÿ™‚

I can read your mind — and we both know that you have thrown your lot in with those wanting the lumbering, slow, tall Carvalho.

Of course if the Boss agrees with you, and decides to buy him for the required ยฃ37m, I would graciously have to join in and claim him for one of my own ideas. ๐Ÿ˜€

GoonerB,

A camel wormer? The mind boggles.

Presumably you are a veterinarian or a Zoo Keeper? If so, I am very jealous. When I was a kid I wanted so much to have either of those jobs.

On the other hand, if you meant you were gainfully employed sticking worms in packets of cigarettes of the same name, then that too is pretty cool.

Are camels scared of camel spiders? ๐Ÿ™‚

Evening all. Very excited at this end.

Raddy,
    Thank you, and enjoy your evening in Sweden. Like the team and hoping they line up nicely ๐Ÿ™‚

RA
    Very interesting article about Arsene and Diaby.

NB
    Looking forward to seeing Chambers in midfield at some point.

Here we are

Szczฤ™sny; Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Flamini, Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck

Substitutes: Ospina, Coquelin, Bellerin, Rosicky, Wilshere, Campbell, Podolski

Looks like the usual 4-1-4-1 thingy to me, unless Arsene is going for Ox alongside Flamini, which I would as then Mesut gets the middle all to himself ๐Ÿ™‚

………..Danny
    Santi Mesut Sanchez
    ……..Flam Ox

Definitely can’t see it happening though

65. aizedlittlemozart says:

joining in late, good, good evening to all. Nice post BR & hope you’ll be here during the match.

RA @6:24(?)- you should then be very envious of me seeing as I am a vet. ๐Ÿ™‚

tonight is the night people….where we get a starting view of the Alexis/Ozil collaboration since our vodka & gin post. Will have an eye on that one.

seeing as all the players that have been picked on by the boo boys this season have basically shoved it up the butts of said boo boys, can we have a flamini redemption tonight?

#COYRRRG!!!!

Top stuff as always BR

Interesting team – I expect the Ox to sit back a bit rather than playing as out and out wide man. But what do I know?

Incidentally, I’m not sure there really is a difference between a HM and a DM – it’s just that some are better players than others and can contribute more to the team as a whole.

Hello, Rocky — and agreed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Aized,

You are already on my list to envy! ๐Ÿ™‚

Santi is on ๐Ÿ™‚ lovely

70. aizedlittlemozart says:

5minutes to go people!!!

71. aizedlittlemozart says:

no Dutch love in our team for Wesley tonight…hehe…

Hello Redders
    A thumping win tonight, followed by AW’s first win over the evil Mourinho at the weekend will make for a splendid few days ๐Ÿ™‚

73. aizedlittlemozart says:

I just love this anthem

glad jack isn’t starting as we’ll need players to move the ball quckly, as gala will press us (ie try ๐Ÿ™‚ )

aized – me too, makes me go all gooey

Merson made me ROLF – he has just said that when Wenger first arrived from Japan he made them do some weird stretches ๐Ÿ™‚

76. aizedlittlemozart says:

Mesut my Goodness!!!!! That pass!!

77. aizedlittlemozart says:

already seeing the OX-chambers combo on the right

What a drive from dat guy!!!

78. aizedlittlemozart says:

we seem to be making runs behind their defence,….Alexis, welbeck & ozil..

79. aizedlittlemozart says:

Welbz!!!!!!!!!!!
    behind the line run pays off finally!!!!!

oh Danny boy!!!!!!!!!!!

81. aizedlittlemozart says:

Danny fcuking welbeck!!!!!!!!!

82. aizedlittlemozart says:

Danny fcuking welbecDanny fcuking welbecDanny fcuking welbecDanny fcuking welbeck!!!!!!!!!

83. aizedlittlemozart says:

solo performance tonight?!! BR?!! Eddie?! Somebody…Anybody….

have we really got an outright striker now?

Useless that Danny Boy. ๐Ÿ™‚

That is a flying two footed red card! Melo you bastard.

how is that not a red card??????!!!!!!

88. aizedlittlemozart says:

i’d say we do have an outright striker yes!!! he’s got the pace my OG doesn’t

they are destroying our stadium, bastards

90. aizedlittlemozart says:

Melo for a red in the 2nd surely!!! dafuq was the ref thinking giving just a yellow?!!

dafuq ๐Ÿ™‚

92. aizedlittlemozart says:

ohhhhh!!!! i’m going to have an orgasm with all this running behind opposition defense.

what a pass from ozil.

& just like I said *cough*cough* if he makes more of those run then ozil will have a field day feeding him.

Flamini is old school, always reminds me of the days when Tony Adams or Keown would take care of those who kicked our boys about

That was superb.

Just wait until the reviews – it will be all down to a rubbish Galatasary – who are being run ragged – but that is because the Gunners are running them ragged!

95. aizedlittlemozart says:

would love really early subs in this game now….kos/callum, Alexis & welbz off, we can’t afford any injuries to them, especially at the back

great half, been a while we dealt with a game in the first half Aston Villa aside.

96. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Reading the BR pre match at half or full time is always good fun, normally so prescient today the Ommm has not connected with the Perm of Arsene.

BR feared his line up was too attacking, AW read that and thought it looked too cautious so added a bit more flair to it.

A difficult opponent, as it turns out only for the Met’s Riot team.

Fun fun football, Sky co commentator (is it Hoddle or Robson) trying to pin the performance on their defence rather than our attacking prowess. They had pre decided that Sanchez=Good, ร–zil=Shit, so Sanchez’s through ball for Welly, great, Ozil had so much time and no pressure he had acres to play it in. Please please Sky give me an option for no commentary and just crowd noise, surely it’s do-able through the red button. And when you realise 90% of people choose that option you can save us all some money, do away with the pre match crap, and the half time crap, just run highlights and sound a 60 second bleep when the second half is coming.

Wow Wow Wow

How Mesut must love being surrounded by so much pace
    What a joy to watch

so agree about the commentator Exile

Right, I think one more bit of fresh air before the second haf

I expect Gala to give it large for 10 mins, then the game to grind to a halt

Tony Gale is the co-commentator, Exile.

101. aizedlittlemozart says:

talk about pace people! Ox!

soooo goooood

103. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

What a lovely finish…..Hat-trick boy Welly

Wikipedia got it all wrong, they seem to think that Danny is only 23

105. aizedlittlemozart says:

that facking GUY!!!!!!!!!

behind the defence & this time no woodwork ๐Ÿ™‚

well, well, well….sanogo got a hat-trick before OG, welbz has got a hat-trick before OG…..OG12 has just got to come back extra, super motivated!

106. aizedlittlemozart says:

honourable mention to Santi who has kept things ticking smoothly in that middle, great game

107. jnyc says:

๐Ÿ™‚

fun fun football? I think not. Resting key players no more. feck

109. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Silly Wojciech, needs to stop these bored feelings that head to rushes of blood trying to get involved.

110. aizedlittlemozart says:

Oh dear!

111. TwentyTwelve says:

One game suspension?

112. aizedlittlemozart says:

good thing i’m not the manager

113. aizedlittlemozart says:

I hope so Twelve..

Come on then Aized, tell us what you’d do, and does it involve a red hot Kabanos? ๐Ÿ™‚

hey, look at Mozart! great play

116. aizedlittlemozart says:

hahahaaahaha!! Mikky!!

was actually referring to my earlier comment about making 3 changes early

117. aizedlittlemozart says:

and that’s exactly why Mozart is my best player…such direct drive

118. aizedlittlemozart says:

WoW ospina !!!

Ospina’s first name is David, that is strange

call me big girl’s blouse but I much prefer games against weak opposition when we win convincingly ๐Ÿ™‚ I thoroughly enjoyed tonight’s fixture

121. aizedlittlemozart says:

& loserpool lose hahahaaahaha!!!!

122. jnyc says:

Ospina must be thrilled he chose us. Champions league play already, and a start next time too!

Right Lads

Before I go, I’ll do a Match Feelings, unless someone wants to do a proper job.
    Or anyone who wants to add player points then send it in.

At least Peaches won’t have to nag.

Fantastic night.
    Must go.

125. fatgingergooner says:

Easy nights work.

The opposition were dreadful, as are their fans, but you can only beat what’s in front of you.

Great result for confidence and momentum. Get a result at Chelsea and our easing fixture list will see us top in no time.

126. aizedlittlemozart says:

1st link came in duplicated, don’t know why it happens…..still can’t get the hang of this posting pictures malarky

127. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Could we play Chavs with the same midfield?

Loved the pace Alexis, Ox and Welly showed tonight. Also liked the freedom of shape across the front line. Neither Rambo or Jack can offer that.

i also need to applaud Santi this evening, when we had 11 and on the pitch he never got as far forward as Jack or Rambo seem to in that role alongside the Holding player, that gave the 3-1 the freedom to move around and to play deeper which also meant we were quicker moving the ball beyond their defence.

No way with Terry at the back will Maureen set up so high, unless of course we can force an early goal and force them to come on to us.

We could but we shouldn’t, we need Wilshere to start on the weekend.

Ahh, what am I saying, he is nailed on, that is why Cazorla stayed on to the end.

Fantastic game, the pace and movement up front was outstanding. It looks like we’ve found the perfect team to play sides who don’t press – why didn’t they press incidentally?

The list of positives that can be taken from tonight is so long.

Probably above all is the obvious fact that Welbeck must now really feel part of the set up.

Followed closely by the fact that Ozil and Sanchez have worked out, to where and when, Welbeck makes his runs. It’s true that there was lots of space to work in tonight but they are all capable of doing the same in tight situations so we should rightly expect more of the same.

Next on the list is that Sanchez and Ozil are getting closer to understanding how to play with each other. And lastly for now Sanchez is moving the ball on quicker and quicker which is speeding up all of our play.

Danny, he’s not good enough for United, Welbeck.

Oh, we are going to have fun with this.

Nice nice nice.

I think we’ve found a real star in Danny Welbeck and, as LB says, we can have fun with this at ManUre’s expense for years…

Hi Rocky

We needed a game like that, a sit back and enjoy the whole thing rather than chewing our nails up to the elbows.

Right, time for bed.

Night LB

I’ve got a funny feeling about the Chav game…

I mean a GOOD funny feeling…

Could just be the ale though.

136. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha, how good was that! tra la la la la la ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

my sad story is that I missed the game. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ first I was offered a seat by Ant n’ Duck, but could not travel. Next missed the game as well, following on smartphone. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

nevertheless, what a night. long live CL. ๐Ÿ™‚ who cares that much about the league. we have won it plenty of times, and will win it again soon anyway. CL is the frontier. COYG. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

137. arnie says:

only the first three here. ๐Ÿ™‚

“could not travel” arnie?

I’m assuming two broken legs at the very least to turn down an opportunity like that…

139. arnie says:

Welby’s third was real real class!

140. arnie says:

hmmm, Rocky, am I not biting my hands! mother-in-law visiting. ๐Ÿ˜›

141. arnie says:

on the third, note where Welby started his run from. Centre line and near the left touch line. Wow. ๐Ÿ™‚

what a fantastic piece of work getting Ospina in was! ๐Ÿ™‚

142. arnie says:

143. arnie says:

Peaches
    Feelings sent.

145. Gรถรถner In Exile says:

Glad he got the match ball in the end.

Did anyone think of Welly as big and powerful when he was at United? Honestly I never realism add just how strong he was, always thought of him as a bit of a whippet.

As LB says he is going to give us a lot of fun. That third goal was delightful, involved in the build up, and a great run in to the danger area followed by a deft little finish.

Here’s a question for everyone, when Santi went through and lifted it over the keeper if he had not jumped over him, would he have got a penalty and would the keeper have been sent off? Szczesny’s decision was poor but the forward had kicked the ball out of touch he would never have got to it, but everyone accepts it as a nailed on red card.

Another boring night at The Ems, then Chas.

I mean, you must sometimes ask yourself the inevitable question: “What’s the bloody point?”

Exile

I never watch Utd so can’t comment on Danny’s game for them, but the first time I noticed him was during an England World Cup warm up game, and was impressed by his speed and overall team game.

Even then (ie before realizing what a good finisher he was) I thought he’d be more effective as CF than Rooney.

Also, thinking of Danny, the really good news is that we’ve definitely discovered our Plan B striker.

Ollie ๐Ÿ™‚

A few quick player comments sent to Nuts.

Haha, Micky.
    We had a very enjoyable pre-match at the Faltering Fullback and GoonerB’s mate was making me laugh. He has just found his spiritual home at Le Grove!
    I was asking him which character in Fever Pitch he identified with and talking about the main character saying, ‘Why do we bother, let’s just go to the pub?’
    He said that he’d said the same thing the other day, ‘a 1000 pounds for this’. He said the rest of his life was brilliant and happy, so I suggested he needed the Arsenal to provide balance.
    Well there was no balance last night, just unabashed joy.

Excellent to see Peaches, Rasp and GoonerB last night.
    Brilliant pub, even if a little difficult to find!

152. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

I think the ref would argue he got his shot away and therefore an advantage was played by seeing how the shot turned out, but in reality there is little difference. Both should be red. Incidently (you’ll know more about this GiE) i reckon if Szscesny had gone out full stretch with his hands above his head in order to make himself as big as possible, rather than his hands going for the ball at the strikers feet, then the attacker would’ve kicked it into his hands and it would’ve gone as a great save rather than a red card.

I’m worried Cazorla will not play against Chelsea. He is vital for us IMO. His ball retention is better than all our other midfielders.

I’m also hoping the Chelsea away trip and our relatively easy night will give us an edge. Going to be a cracker.

Brilliant Chas ๐Ÿ™‚

Now he’ll have to re-calibrate as after last night, the rest of his life will appear rubbish

Shitballs. On school run apparently. Later.

ps that pub would be easier to find where it not covered by forest

155. arnie says:

Motning all.

Warm glow of the motning after ….. ! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

tra la la la la la la la

on 31st August we drew against Leicester, the transfer window was almost closed and in the post match interview Wenger was smiling broadly. I remember thinking that either he has something up his sleeve or the boy has finally lost it. Now I know – Danny was up his sleeve, what a buy

I most impressed with his physical presence. Ollie is 3 inches taller, but somehow Welbeck looks huge when charging with the ball. A couple of times the defenders had actually stepped aside to let him go. The raging bull

158. fatgingergooner says:

I never realised how fast Welbs was! That was Henry type acceleration I saw last night. Add some guile and calmness in front of goal and we might have half the player Henry was, which still means 100+ goals for the AFC!!!!

and on GiE’s Wojciech – his sending off wasn’t a big deal last night as we were winning comfortably, but doesn’t chose games carefully, he just randomly goes bananas. Ospina did very well and perhaps he should start on Sunday.

160. arnie says:

The most important thing for me is that Welby is enjoying his game. Playing for fun, even just to entertain. Lovely smile, just such a joy to watch.

Having said that, I still reserve my opinion. Somehow, I find it difficult to trust a Mancunian. It will take time, but if all goes well it will come. ๐Ÿ™‚

cannot wait for micky feelings post – each time I refresh that awful photo of young Wenger pops up, horrible

fattie – why half the player? He looks like a whole deal to me!

163. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Great result from the team last night. I predicted a 3.1 victory and got it wrong.

Merson reckoned Czezesneys concentration was at fault for that stupid red card, personally i put it down to his training with Leyman when he came back, it certainly had all the trademarks. I still believe we kept the wrong Pole, but most supporters feel differently.

Wenger marked his anniversary with a fine win, and we have to admire his decision on buying Danny Welbeck in the last seconds of the transfer window.

Danny’s speed and great positioning has been a revelation to watch, taking nothing away from Giroud as he also has great attributes but he does lack that frightening pace.

I was impressed with Arsenals attacking, i did feel that we mess about a bit too much in and around the box and in my opinion Ozil got in the way on many occasions.

I have to say that Wellbeck has, certainly opened doors of options that we haven’t had before. Many will say what about Theo, and yes they would probably be right but Theo has not been around for an extremly long time now and when he does come back will he be the same.

Wellbeck ticks all the boxes in my opinion , he has the size and Physical strength to compete where i feel Theo has only got the speed, two of them together may work but would Theo ever be used up front instead of Danny i very much doubt it.

Sanchez last night was unlucky to be subbed in my opinion, someone had to be sacrificed for that fool Czezesney but i would have taken either Ozil or Santi as both were finding it a bit of a struggle. Arsene Knows best of course and a 4.1 win is all important, onwards and upwards and well done Danny on your first Arsenal hat trick , hopefully there will be many more.

I’m still buzzing after the game. Every player was top notch (apart from Sz’s moment of madness).

Great to see chas, and and GoonerB for a pint and a giggle before the game ๐Ÿ˜›

The way our front 5 were pinging the ball about and reading each other’s runs was mighty impressive – if that telepathy can be continued/developed, we need fear no-one.

steve – agree about the wrong Pole.

Morning all. I’m already pining for some more quality time with the A.A gang sitting amongst the tree-tops supping a pint of Chas’ choosing.

Chas, the pub can be a little difficult to find but if you ask Peaches and Rasp they will say it was easy to find but more difficult to navigate once you are inside. I’m drawing Rasp an internal map for next time.

Arnie on Wellbeck; “Lovely smile, just such a joy to watch.”

Arnie??? I see a man crush developing here…..

167. Gรถรถner In Exilea says:

Not sure I agree about the wrong pole as there was always a question mark for me over Fab1s handling.

I like keepers coming early for one on ones, it was Bob Wilson’s key attribute, and how we all love watching clips of that nutter diving at people’s feet.

Have to agree FGG arms our stretched rather than going for the ball probably leads to a save rather than a penalty.

But it’s that decision making when he has had nothing to do that can be his weakness, but at least when he commits to a decision he stays committed which then means he has more chance of coming out on top. Would be interested to see 1 on 1 stats as I reckon he comes away with the ball more often than not but when it goes wrong its a huge effect on the game. He should be thinking 4-0 I’ll stay where I am, if it was only 1-0 I’d probably back the decision more even though it would have put is in a more uncomfortable position, the reward would have been greater than the risk. At 4-0 the reward of collecting the ball was negligible.

168. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Eddie, didn’t think anybody ever read my comments ๐Ÿ™‚

GiE – I can read you like a book ๐Ÿ™‚ so predictable ๐Ÿ™‚

I need a map to find my own arse GoonerB ๐Ÿ™‚

Such a shame that Henryesque run from the midfield by Welbeck where he chipped the ball over the head of one defender and ran around another before being thwarted by the keeper didn’t result in a goal. Show’s how his confidence is growing.

chas – can you find a clip of that move?

steve – are you mad? your comments are great! they read them just cannot be arsed to answer, nothing personal ๐Ÿ™‚ if I bothered about my unanswered comments I would never blog and micky would miss out on Eddie’s Days Out

there you are Rasp, access to youtube is for all you know ๐Ÿ™‚ added benefit of my Gary’s comments:

This was Arsenal last night ……

….. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

Sorry to be a late, just sorting the new post .

175. stevepalmer1 says:

Wellbeck in his interview after the match, seemed very shy, He has of course been through United training for most of his playing days, and i felt that he does still think as a united player.

Its my view that he feels let down by United asked to play as a winger and seen centre forwards come in from outside and skipped over then to be offloaded because another outsider comes in.

Its my opinion that Danny will take a while before he truly becomes a proper Arsenal man, but with Arsene Wenger at the helm he will learn to trust Wenger more and more.

Danny was likened to the great Henry last night, high praise indeed, but far to early for talk like that. Danny will flourish at a club that actually uses him in the position he feels is best for him, and its my opinion while he does the business up front, Wenger will persist with him.

Rotation is what we all ask for, and when Oliver comes back Danny will have to sit out a few matches, but the way Danny has started, if he continues the same way, Wenger may have a job leaving him out.

Sanchez has been one who hasn’t had a great deal spoken about , but he could be one great signing, He in my opinion is trying just a little too much and should release the ball quicker, but when it all clicks in place, we will definitely be electric.

Theo will be back soon and i would be surprised if Santi will be a casualty. Chambers is another blinding Wenger signing he is going from strength to strength, for a player brought to come is gently, he has come in on all cylinders firing and not far away from being a first pick, Hayden impressed me when he played recently, Bellerin also we seem to be getting better and better.

Merts last night, i felt his positioning was excellent but what i dont like is how he seldom commits to a challenge as he knows that should he miss he has had it, he will be replaced next season if not before. Just my view.

176. […] October 1, 2014 at 7:06 pm […]

177. …………New Post everyone ………………