Akpom. The New Anelka?

We are at home. The tickets are cheap. It is an autumn night. There are few expectations. We have a big enough squad to play some top players mixed with exciting youngsters. Southampton play expansive, attacking football.

Wish I was going.

Given the size of our squad and the strength of our bench I believe our B team can win the Capital One Cup. It would be a fine addition to the trophy cabinet and something we haven’t achieved since Rasp had hair …. without looking it up, when were we last League Cup Winners? (see bottom of post).

Reading Koeman’s pre-match thoughts it appears as though S’ton are going to play a very strong team, as close to the first team as possible. I can understand why because winning a piece of silverware – any trophy at all – would be huge for S’ton whose last trophy win was back in 1976, almost 40 years ago!

Unknown-1

S’ton, 6th in 2nd Div. beat Man Utd at Wembley with a goal by Bobby Stokes 1/5/1976

How will Mr Wenger respond? Well, we know that Diaby will start and I wish him all the best. He is such a good player whose career has been hampered by injury, at 28 he still has the chance to achieve his ambitions.

Ospina will start his first match for the Gunners. This is a strange signing for me – a fine signing for the club but weird for Ospina. Perhaps he believes TPIG is not very good and that he has a chance to usurp him, I think he is mistaken but I guess he is earning a far higher wage and is happy to ride the pine for the foreseeable future. As I say, an odd decision for a much in demand International class keeper.

Another point of interest will be the progress of Akpom. Chuba has played and scored for England at every Youth level, he is the fastest player over 10 yards in recent AFC history (beating both Walcott and Henry) and recently scored a hatrick for the U-21’s. He looks excellent when playing in the U-21’s but it is a huge step up to play with the Big Boys. Ray Kennedy did it, Anelka did it, can Chuba Akpom?

Then there is Isaac Hayden. Could he be the reason Mr. Wenger didn’t buy a back-up central defender? He did well in his previous outing with the first team when he played the defensive midfield role and looked very composed in the recent U-21 win over WBA.

It is upfront where we have so much in reserve. A forward line of Podolski, Akpom and Campbell is dangerous, add in the attacking midfield of (I assume) the Ox or Rosicky and we should score goals. The problem, as ever, is in defence.

Possible team:

23rd sept

This team could be a bit light defensively so perhaps Akpom will be on the bench and Ox play on the left with Campbell through the middle. Another alternative is Flamini at left back rather than Gibbs. Why? Because there is a rather important game on the weekend and we do not want to risk an injury-prone Gibbs.

So …… did you recall the last time we won the League Cup? Yes, it was in the 1992/3 season when we won the Cup Double against Sheffield Wednesday. I went to all 3 games at Wembley and this was the first. It was the Coca-Cola Cup in those days and we won 2-1. Sheffield scored first, the Merse equalised then Steven Morrow scored the winner. It was the famous occasion when Tony Adams broke Morrow’s arm whilst celebrating

Unknown

Morrow’s Big Day Out and a pre-recovery Merse.

Win this and there are just 9 PL teams left in the draw. Lose and we free up some game-time. Here’s to an entertaining match.

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

114 Responses to Akpom. The New Anelka?

1. rizal says:

what happen to Sanogo in your book ? in Arsene mind his place is above Joel & Akpom

Rizal. Sanogo is injured.

3. lexipenitas says:

Today it’s an excellent opportunity for our young gunners! My hopes lie with Bellerin, Hayden and Coquelin in view of first team backline shortages.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all,

You’ve done it again BR, a fine pre-view.

I won’t argue with any of your selections for tonight’s game, it’s a great opportunity for the fringe players to show their worth.

That’s my lot on here until next Tuesday, we’re off for a week walking in the Cotswolds.

Hope to find a pub with Sky Sports so my Spurs supporting wife and I can share the joy of another Gunners victory. 😀

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

That’s on Saturday of course.

An enjoyable Post, Raddy, thank you. 🙂

I have been disillusioned by one snippet in your article, and that is to learn that my friend, Rasp, is follicularly challenged.

In my mind’s eye he has gone from being a short back and sides, no nonsense, steely eyed academic, to being a slightly eccentric, top notch scientific boffin type with huge glasses and a high forehead. 🙂

Where have all the usual miscreants gone?

Hopefully all the young Arsenal bucks will make their mark tonight and we can get through to the next round, where we might see them on perform on TV.

Hi Redders, there is a large slice of ‘pot and kettle’ in Raddy’s observation 😆

I usually quote the old line about ‘grass not growing on a busy street’.

Great PM Raddy as per norm. I sincerely hope we don’t risk either Kozzer or The BFG for this game. Let’s give the youngsters some pitch time and see how they perform – we’ve got nothing to lose.

One too many ‘on’ words. No one will notice. 😉

I have to say Rasper that it is good to see you so much more on the blog lately, it is not the same without you. 🙂

We all become a little jaded or feel other work or family pressures, and perhaps a little ‘away’ time does no harm and a lot of good.

Thanks Redders, my appearances are still patchy I’m afraid and the burden has grown on peaches correspondingly. I love to read through the chas/Micky/Raddy morning stuff but seldom get the chance to join in.

Thanks Raddy for another great pre-match. I get very excited by these games to see some of the younger players and how they fare.

If I can find somewhere that shows the game I will look forward to seeing how Hayden gets on. I would like to see Coquelin play the holding role with Diaby in a box to box role. It is surely now or never for Coquelin and I think he needs to put in a monstrous performance to show Arsene that he maybe has something to offer at first team level. I would maybe like to see Kos not playing either. Maybe it is a good game for Chambers.

Off for a bit catch you later.

13. Good afternooning

Good preview BR, but do you think AW will risk Gibbs tonight?

Will be exciting to see Akpom and Campbell getting a chance to prove themselves worthy of a first team place. Podolski, poor Podolski… whatever went wrong for him? Perhaps he can knock a couple in tonight and get AW’s attention.

£20 a ticket.

Too much of a bargain for me to resist.

Flights from Copenhagen would bump that up a bit though. Good read BR thanks.

This is obvious to everyone – except our home fans – congratulations to our away fans.

An exert from Arsenal.com

……………………………………………………………………………….

The travelling contingent responded by singing Ozil’s name loudly for long periods, which the German says gave him confidence.

I’d like to praise the whole team again, who really supported me, and especially the fans who were very loud

“Yes, it was very nice,” Ozil told Arsenal Player. “When you know that your own fans are behind you, that gives you self-belief and encouragement.

Blimey £20 – can you buy tickets on the door?

I certainly have done in the past. It wont be a sell out.

Thanks LB, do you go to the box office?

Cheers, BR.
    I’m hoping that none of Chambers, Kos, BFG or Gibbs play.
    Perhaps it’s a chance for Morrow, Selley and Hillier to get a game. 🙂

Just imagine if this was one our club’s highlights. How lucky we are.

Thanks chas 😦

21. iikk66 says:

Blog fantastic
    Good luck.
    ………………….

I just spoke with Kelsey, he had just arrived home from the hospital and was too tired to talk, I’ll call him back tomorrow.

23. Sav from Australia says:

Nice preview, thanks Big Raddy.

Alas, this game is not being shown on Australia TV. I triple checked the listings.

Incredible

60,000 for the COC

Same here in Canada Sav – no TV coverage so I’ll listen to the game on Arsenal.com

BR,

I’ve just read your pre match, you have made an art of PM’s, and they are always spot on.

It will be typical AW he will put out a team that he feels is capable of winning and will have a mixture of youth and experience.

Southampton was the breeding ground many of our players, I wish I could watch the game to observe their current talent pool – but no TV coverage. and I’m nervous about streaming.

27. RC78 says:

Hey guyz – for the Cup, I think that AW will throw in some new players as well as some old faces so I am expecting a good mix 🙂

In my opinion, the following line-up will start:

Ospina – Bellerin, Chambers, Koscielny, Flamini – Rosicky, Diaby, Ox – Campbell, Poldi, Gnabry

Let us see…and I think Akpom will see some action and maybe Coquelin as well.

Wizigig have many feeds available but how many are any good is questionable.

R78. Gnabry is injured. I agree with those who question the inclusion of Gibbs, perhaps Flamini could play there.

coca cola cup 🙂 I forgot that, how funny.
    I think you are right Raddy, we will see a good mix of young and ‘old’ players. I doubt that any of the top defenders will play tonight, cannot really risk any more injuries in that department.

Every time I think Southampton (not very often 🙂 ) I their biggest rivals and neighbours – Portsmouth and say a little prayer that our beloved Club is in safe hands

thanks for a great PM !!

arnie – don’t be silly lad! Of course there is more chance of Wenger playing ‘your’ youngsters than Bergkamp, Pires and Henry stepping onto the pitch tonight 🙂

and the LiveOnline Footy? have they ceased to exist?

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Poland won World Cup in netball after 40 years!! Netball is in Poland what cricket is in England, ie BIG

oh yeah, and we beat Russians on the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. RC78 says:

BR – thanks for the info about Gnabry…Shame 😦 Then let us bring in Akpom 🙂

34. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Raddy.
    You seem very confident, where i am not that sure. Southampton play some nice football, probably be at their strongest, while we will be fielding in my mind a bit of a makeshift team.

I do get a bit annoyed on nights such as this, I know this cup is not always considered worthwhile, and should we field the type of team i am expecting, then this could end up being a very tough night.

This cup has been used in the past, to blood players who may make it through, Personally i would rather see the odd youngster come in the side, with a strong team behind him, these one game wonders could play tonight and that’s their lot for another season.

Akpon, in my view, is not on a par with Sanogo yet, He may have scored a hat trick for the under 21s but against a full Southampton side i feel he’ll struggle. Thats my view, At the moment Raddy yours sounds the more uplifting, so i will go along with you.

35. 26may1989 says:

Did you mean volleyball, Eddie? Netball being a sport contested by Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, England, Trinidad and South Africa……

Am pleased for you though – those Russian players aren’t going to be getting Christmas cards from the Kremlin are they? More like instructions to go and fight in their pretend army in eastern Ukraine.

36. 26may1989 says:

Steve, I take it you wouldn’t want our strongest team out just ahead of a week that will see us play Spurs, Galatasaray and Chelsea?

Blooding youngsters in the league cup seems perfect to me – we might get beaten but whatever happens, they’ll get valuable experience.

37. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening 26, I like the thought of winning everything, i know that is not going to happen but i feel youngsters would benefit more with a run in the cup. Games come up all the time we have players who should be rotated in a regular way. We have played a few games now and still haven’t seen Ospina, he could have played before now. Putting a lot of different players together that are not used to one another helps nobody in my view, But if thats the way they do it, I just dont like it.

Many important games coming up, yes i agree but in my mind they are all important, and a cup is still a cup.

38. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Raddy. Knot ear today 😦 but hoping to catch a stream in the evening. I hope Arsene does not take risks with our first team defenders. Bellerin, perhaps Chambers in the centre, and two rookies is what I would prefer.

COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

39. Hi all

As usual I’m hoping someone will want to write a post about the game for tomorrow …………… any volunteers?

Also we’ll need posts for Thursday and Friday.

40. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry Arnie was fishing all day yesterday, but i did read your fine post.

26m – netball, volleyball, who cares? Poland beat the mighty Russia and won the World Cup, happy dayz 🙂

Given the upcoming games, the less first teamers we use the better but I really want us to win.

Can anyone who finds a decent stream put a link up please 🙂

rasp – I mailed the link to peaches

Not too happy about this team. Sanchez? Wilshere?

What a strike from Sanchez. Broilliant

47. fatgingergooner says:

Wow! What a goal.

Raddy,

What are u watching on?

Bit silly from TR.

Rookie tackle from one of our most experienced players.

In a pub RA but they are showing it on bein sports 1HD

Eddie, that’s no good to me 😦 can you put a link in a comment pls

What a hit from Clyne but I think TPIG would have saved it.

V.good game

54. fatgingergooner says:

What a strike!

55. fatgingergooner says:

I quite like Southampton, but I still want us to win. Can’t comment on the play because my stream is poor.

This is sort of working for me, once you get past the ads

the best stream is Raddy’s in arabic, brilliant commentary 🙂
    I don’t care if we lose.

The stream above is working OK for me but is ruined by hysterical commentators.

They keep showing the Clyne goal. What a welcome to England for Ospina!

We are playing well considering how inexperienced the defence is. Wilshere, Sanchez and especially Diaby are having fine games.

santi and ox warming up

Kevin Davies plays for S’ampton now?! you didn”t tell us that Raddy

Eddie I didn’t know!

fans keep asking for my Santi

sanchez likes his knickers in a twist

Damn. Temporarily lost my streams.

Good game so far

Shame we lost but we went down valiantly.

FairPlay to Southampton, they deserved the victory

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Out of the cup, but our first team should be well rested. Wonderful

67. fatgingergooner says:

Well done Southampton, they played well on the counter. Can’t say I’m too disappointed, I thought we played ok. Good to see Diaby play and I thought Hayden and Coquelin showed that we are not quite as bare at the back as first thought. Alexis seemed to be on good form too.

Would’ve preferred a win but it’s not always easy when we know we are going to make a lot of changes and are up against a form PL side.

Ok so I’ve seen the 11, and the result.

Apart from Ospina starting in goal I can only have arough guess on who played where!

Bellerin……Chambers……Hayden……Coquelin
    ………………..Diaby…………Rosicky…………
    Samchez……………Wilshere………….Pod
    ………………….Campbell

As others have said this is the lowest of the 4 competitions and if we want to compete in the others we need a well rested squad, with Spuds to face on the weekend

70. arnie says:

Sad, but hey! the boys did not really disappoint. On with the show!!!

Bellerin……Chambers……Hayden……Coquelin

………………..Diaby…………

——–Rosicky…………Wilshere

—-Campbell——Sanchez——-Pod

It was actually this.

I have only just got back and I am afraid I am too tired to spend the next two hours writing a post.

There were a ton of positives.

The midfield combo was very good and considering that Diaby hasn’t played for 15 years he was excellent; going further, I would suggest that he is the reason that Wenger decided not to buy a HM.

However the best surprise of the night was Coquelin, we have far more cover at left back than we realised.

Sorry I can’t write the post because there is a lot to say.

Very interesting LB, unfortunately as most at home didn’t have a chance of watching it I doubt we will have a reprt tomorrow.

73. arnie says:

I was busy cooking a rather late meal, so only watched this on and off. However, my Portuguese student who was watching said Hayden was also good. Dont know.

I just knocked up a few lines which I’ve sent to Nuts.

Anders in his pomp. Superb footage.
    I wish all the old clips were as good quality as this.

Greetings Motningers

Can’t be around at the moment. Hope shortly return to normal.

Missed game. Diaby looking the part?

Laters squeaks.

Morning all and morning Micky. You had me pining there for a bit.

I think Chas nuts effort is the way forward and others can add their perspective from there. I watched it in a pub with friends which always means chatting which means I didn’t completely focus on each players performance. I have kind of an overview of the whole game in my mind.

Busy for next 2 hours or so will check back later.

Looking forward to chas’s post

there were 30 penalties before pool won over Middlesborough, yes 30!!!!

81. arnie says:

Motning all.

Lovely. A Chas post. What a pleasure. 🙂

Which reminds me, since the Vines plan to support Europe on Saturday rather than Arsenal on NLD, what happened to their seats at the Ems.

Probably too late to plan, or even to ask, but just asking. If some good souls are using these, good, but they cannot be allowed to go vacant! 😛

I could hardly see the game and certainly didn’t understand Arabic commentary, but it looked like a good game. I don’t think Ospina will be replacing Szczesny yet, but Diaby and Coquelin will probably be promoted.
    Alexi’s free kick out of this world

I am not bovvered we lost, 2 fixtures less in a busy January.

83. Don’t worry arnie, their seats have gone to a very good home. Harry and his boys – sounds like a band – will be cheering the good guys on from chas, Ant and JC’s seats on Saturday.

A drama to watch tomorrow on BBC2 – ‘Marvellous’; it’s about a Stoke fan. Looks VERY good

peaches – does arnie know Harry and the boys? It was before the arnie time here

arnie . This cannot be true!

The Vines are going to the golf?

The Ryder Cup is perhaps the best television event in sport, but to miss the NLD?

87. arnie says:

Fantastic, Peaches. 🙂

everton lost 3:0 Swansea. Perhaps Martinez is not ready yet for the Ems

yeah Raddy, Fergie delivered a motivational speech to the players yesterday. I hope Poulter told him where to stick it

90. chas mobile says:

BR

That’s exactly what JC said!
    The Ryder Cup tickets had to be booked a year in advance, so it was in the lap of the gods which game we missed if any.

Still at least Harry gets to sit with his lads.

Arnie
    As if the seats would be wasted! Looks like we’ll be in Dickens Bar in Perth for the game if you wanted to join us.

91. arnie says:

No, I dont knot Harry and the boys, yet. But happy this is sorted. 🙂

Yes, Raddy, the Vines will be travelling up north. I was a bit angry (at the time) they politely declined the offer to watch the NLD with yours truly, over a glass of single malt. But hey, what can you do. 😛

92. arnie says:

ah, I spoke too soon. Yes, I will join you guys. 😛

93. chas mobile says:

Arnie
    I’m not sharing a beer with anyone who’s angry! 🙂

94. RC78 says:

Diaby was ok but overall very poor performance and lack of vertical play…Wilshere, Campbell and Podolski were poor and I do not even want to talk about Haydn and Coquelin…

The only player that stood out a bit was Sanchez. Rosicky was not his usual self but Bellerin did ok.

Big worries is that we are very thin at the back and neither Bellerin or Haydn can cut it at the highest level yet. As for Diaby, he looked ok and I hope he can be of use this season as he is truly a good player when fit.

95. chas mobile says:

RC78
    Hold your feckin horses till the new post!

96. arnie says:

Chas. I am no longer angry. I was a bit hungry a bit earlier, but now that breakfast is done, nice and fulfilled at the moment. Hit the road now. Back to read your post in a bit. 🙂

I was offered a ticket in the away section 🙂 🙂 This Spurs supporter wanted me to go with him, as his son’s wife is about to pop another Spud. Nice guy, he thinks we will trash them on Saturday.

RC78 – did you go to the game?

98. chas mobile says:

I wouldn’t get excited about the new post: it really is a filler.

99. chas mobile says:

Pop another spud.
    What a delightful turn of phrase!

100. …………… New Post everyone …………………..

101. With HDTV, you might like to play movies of their original widescreen format devoid of the letterbox “black bars” that many people
    find annoying. Right positioning means higher quality:
    Another indispensable aspect of the Tv Aerial Installation Fareham may be the
    placement from the television antenna in right position. Best
    hdtv antenna indoor best buy If, however, you’re planning on purchasing a new digital TV
    antenna, you only might find that extra attic space helpful.
    One in the basic factors of buying a quality picture could be the HDTV antenna.
    An aerial (or antenna) is definitely an electrical device that electricity sales in radio waves and the other way around.
    Flat hdtv antenna costco It is important to note that antennas should not be installed greater than 6 feet above the mounting
    bracket. Best indoor hdtv antenna toronto One in the key
    elements you need to get your high-definition TV set to be effective as it really is
    intended to you personally need to put money into
    a quality HDTV antenna. Another option if
    you are not thinking about getting cable or satellite but nonetheless want HD television is to
    get an HD antenna. Youtube $2 diy hdtv antenna That’s a great time to the advertisers to reach towards the antenna of one’s inner depths of the mind, which learns and commits
    for a memory.

Ever wonder if through an RV antenna really is really a difference.
    comparable to Over the Air this can be best
    accomplished having an antenna, vs. Best outdoor hdtv antenna 2013 Back within the analog
    TV era of yesteryear, you had been almost always better off using
    a giant outdoor antenna, but for many people this became not an option. Indoor antennas are portable and provide great convenience while outdoor antennas offer superior reception opportunities.
    The high-definition Tv antenna will likely be much extremely effective when it really
    is established inside zone where by off air broadcasts of HD tv
    programs exist. Ota hdtv antenna diy Noticing and writing about the blessings inside your life
    is a good way to maintain your antenna tuned for the positive.

102. They began to criticize not his wrongdoings
    or statements, but his ideology – looking to play
    more a political role compared to a role
    of media watchdogs. Knowing whom you purchase from will protect you fraudulent dealers.
    Baofeng amplifier You can pass a Speech check and convince him that
    you’re just out for any walk, but he’ll be too suspicious to continue along with his meeting.

The part of coverage of the radio is unquestionably wide that you are able to enjoy a similar program while travelling within a continent.
    Baofeng wikipedia You sacrifice nothing in your system to have cool satellite
    radio. I was simply giving my gift, and my sister is
    actually sharing her gift that’s her knowledge from the Buddhist philosophy.

103. 訪問 says:

great issues altogether, you just won a new reader.
    What would you recommend about your publish that you simply made
    some days ago? Any certain?

104. いろんな考え方があるから、あなたのいってることもわかる。 わざわざこんなこと書くヤツの気が知れん
    普通に尻のことかと思ったら、ちょっと間が空いたから気の持ちようでリセットしましたとかw だから喫煙者は嫌だと書いてるのも読んでるはずなのにそこには触れずにメールされてイラっとする 結婚祝いワイン

というのは女性にとってそんなに重要な事なの? 週末多忙でしたのでお返事遅れました。きちんと拝読してお返事いたします。 結婚できない男
    スペシャル
    誰かのつぶやきが、女性陣の怒りをかっているようですな。 冷凍の小さい伊勢えびが活きオマールエビになったり、パック入りのシャーベットが手作りになったり

105. You can decide between several gold and silver, semi-precious stones, insignia and emblems, and even engraving around the
    inside of band. Source any purchase, Blaze bank abode bank arise casework are the most
    effective for appearance of tv sets, with superior and high-quality accompanying to photography.
    Insignia tv auto zoom If you are which has a
    smaller finances, you can search for flat filter Hdtv reviews
    that target mid-priced and intensely low-priced TVs supplied by a selection of manufacturers.

But now, more Television manufacturers like SAMSUNG and SONY are generating slimmer and lighter CRT HDTVs that may rival the flat panel HDTVs.
    The authentic looking Admiral hat is included which is white with navy blue visor and gold trim having
    a large golden eagle insignia as traditional Navy uniform hats.

106. こういうプロレス的なノリが楽しい時期ってあるよなあ
    才能・能力が無い者のゴリ押しを公開処刑と言う。。。大島、前田
    いくら話題作りとは言え、やってる方は真面目にやってんだろうから。

107. In fact, 5W LED lights manage to provide an production of around 200 400 lumens in brightness that’s extremely impressive.
    The stars at the black hole’s discontinuity were immediately swallowed up,
    so star formation in the outer regions proceeded quickly because the gas swirled around the black
    hole. Kind led grow lights review The best information is always that it does
    not create as much heat which denotes that it isn’t
    consuming just as much power as a way to offer
    that quantity of light.

They are needed in adequate amount; LED is efficient enough to provide ample amount of
    wavelength for plant growth. Some professional growers are even known to use basic indoor lighting with simply
    a single string of LED’s, making the greatest difference within their plants.