Name Five Annoying things about Football

From an idea of GoonerB’s…

We all know how good we feel when Arsenal win a game or even just score a goal, but these good moments are counter-balanced by many, many annoyances which crop up due to the circus  that surrounds football.

I believe the idea was to name a top 5 most annoying things but I think it might be better to name a random 5 as many of us will find similar grievances at the tops of our lists.

Here goes me for starters…….

• Alan Shearer – hugely annoying as a footballer and even more annoying as a pundit. He simply describes events on the pitch and believes he is providing analysis. I really don’t believe he has ever made one insightful comment. Gary Neville micturates all over him.
  • Short-termism in our supporters – one week we are right up there as title contenders because we beat the Oily Shakers in the Community Shield, the following week the squad is threadbare and full of sub-standard players not fit to wear a red and white jersey. Have a word with yourselves.
  • Multi-coloured boots  – everyone used to make fun of Lord Bendtner with his pink boots, but now it’s very hard to find a player who doesn’t wear dayglo monstrosities. Boots should be black with a liberal coating of dubbing. J
  • Arsenal Fan TV – nobodies becoming famous by emotionally spouting garbage after Arsenal games is massively grating. Queuing to have your picture taken with Bully, I ask you, how low can someone’s self-esteem be?
  • Players leaving clubs for “footballing reasons” – come off it, just admit you’re being offered more money and being a multi-millionaire already isn’t enough for you.

Once you start doing something like this, you start to wonder why you follow The Arsenal and football in general, at all. 🙂

However, every day I wake up and thank the lord Dennis I was born in a red and white crib.

Over to you………

chas

115 Responses to Name Five Annoying things about Football

Chas

First up, I hope the treatment was a success, and you’ll be back with us shortly.

Love this idea, and I remember GoonerB’s suggestion. Rant Friday. Fabulous.

Talking of Black Boots, and I agree with you, did any of you notice that last week, for the first time, Flamini had climbed out of his and joined the poncey brigade?

Before reading chas’s post …..

This from yesterday’s post.

SteveP: “I feel that Wenger’s approach is wrong on certain aspects. Wenger’s an educated man Many qualifications one is psychology. Wenger understands all that, but when he talks to players who have not had the same kind of education, it comes across as only words.

Players can listen for hours, when a Manager is using Psycology but the actual meaning is lost in translation. In my opinion you need a teacher with the same mindset as the players, when he talks about getting stuck in or taking one for the team the players understand that in its entirety, An Adams or a Keane is the type of motivator Arsenal need , easily explained and frightening as well.IIf players have the brain power than Wengers way of teaching may rub off , but for the others they need a different type of instruction horses for courses in all walks of life, sort out who needs what and blend the two together and sit back and watch the benefits.”

Steve: Isn’t that why Stevie Bould is our assistant coach? Can’t see anyone back chatting Steve. Can you?

“That” dickhead who always appears in a seat somewhere near you. No matter how many times you move to another Block/Area of the ground, Mr Effing Spoilt Brat is there.

4. alex says:

1. Bad referees
    2. Badmedia hacks
    3. “Clever” bloggers”
    4. MOTD pundits
    5. Stupid fans

Is it ok to simply have a general whinge throughout the day, and compile an Elite 5 at the end?

Gunnersaurus makes me want to throw up, so he’s in with a shout of a top five spot.

Pre-match entertainment makes me want to throw up. You should be in the pub drinking heavily and get to your seat with seconds to spare.

Any kind of celebrity fan being introduced to the crowd makes me want to throw up

(it can get very messy wherever I sit, and I feel no sympathy whatsoever towards the person in front 🙂 )

6. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning BR, Bouldy in my mind sits and says nothing, is he a good No 2 how would anybody know, have you ever seen him screaming from his comfy chair, Before him we had good old Pat another who enjoyed the comfort of the chair but showed no emotion at all.

Now i am not saying that these guys don’t do their jobs behind the scenes as i am sure Wenger wouldn’t keep them if they didn’t, but what i am saying is the don’t translate well when a game is being played.

We all understand that Wenger has his way of coaching, and should you want to keep your job you toe his line. But in my mind Bouldy or Rice never seemed to make much difference, maybe they understand Wenger’s psychology, but i am sure as eggs are eggs many of the players haven’t got a clue what Wenger is saying half the time. I am not an educated man, and speaking the truth all this psychology means nothing to me ,

Wenger speaks after a game about stuff i haven’t a clue what he means, but what i do know is, that when we lose a ball in their half of the field and we have 3 defenders between the attacking player you do not NOT back off till he shoots. If i was teaching and i was sat in Bouldies comfy chair i would be screaming take that fucker out .

Nice one Chas, I sense you are having a few problems at the mo, if you not well mate, Get well soon mate.

You made me smile about the boots mate. I wrote a post for another blog a couple of years ago, about the same thing, We were having problems with foot and ankle problems at the time and my post was to ask why ankle boots were not being used.

I suggested Kevlar boots, and one of they guys who blogs on our blog said that he had invented exercise boots for training that could strengthen players legs and ankles, and had offered a pair to Arsenal who just ignored his offer. Stupidity in my mind.

But now i see ankle boots in all colours, whether they are Kevlar i doubt but certain suggestions will be used at some point of that i am sure. And i have no doubt that mateys exercise boots will also see the light of day as well.

Not everybody is as bright as a button, and like special needs schools they need special extra lessons, Players are no different. Teach them in the way they can understand benefits every body in the long run. Get well soon mate.

Micky,

Just for clarity. Is Chas really having an op or something?

If so, please give him my best.

If he is having his nails done, Raddy could exchange tips with him. 🙂

Ha ha Steve

I think you’re saying that essentially some players are “special needs” and therefore won’t understand a word Arsene says because he’s all foreign sounding and uses long words and stuff 🙂

Do you want me to be honest? I hate almost everything about football. I hate 99.9% of other clubs and their fans and managers, I hate own fans who ‘know best’ and moan non stop, those who arrive late and leave early. I dislike most referees, the away goal rule, Sep Blatter, the rent boy from Barca, van Persie and Na$ri, our players that don’t perform. I hate losing and drawing, our disallowed goal, red cards to our players, ca$h driven players, injuries, international breaks, friendlies…… No fooking idea why I wait for the match days, must be a masochist

RA

Re Chas. I saw Steve’s comment about him being unwell, and his thoughtful message wishing Chas all the best.

Truth is, No, I haven’t heard from him, so have no evidence that he’s unwell. I therefore simply assume he’s having extensive beauty treatment.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie Dearest Eddie

It is totally impossible to top your 10:29 comment.

Quite superb, and I agree with every word.

Morning all. Brilliant idea Chas. Well done to you. will come back to you with my five. Just trying to work out which other 25 things I find less annoying.

13. Arthur Schopenhauer says:

I think supporting Arsenal is an excellent way to improve your self. It strengthens your ability to cope with bad things that happen to you in life because to support Arsenal you need to be strong internally for all the reasons given above. (In brain science terms supporting Arsenal develops your amygdala.)
    In particular I was pleased that I managed to get through this week’s Dormund game without being upset or angry. I was disappointed but still totally calm. A year ago I would not have been able to do this.
    I particularly admire those people (e.g. Terry on this site) who can laugh off even the worst times. I hope that I can reach that level sometime.

14. PV4 says:

@Eddie, I mirror your pain! My 5…
    1. MOTD pundits & majority of commentators who even when covering a game that has nothing to do with Arsenal, will come out with some scathing comment!
    2. Andy Townsend ‘get in!’ what a tool!
    3. Phil ‘Arsenal will finish nowhere’ Thompson.
    4. The complete panic if we miss a pass/shot.
    5. The witch hunt of AW.

Arthur

Great comment, and a very spiritual response. While we’re supposed to be dooming today, it’s nice to read something positive, and you’re so right about that Transplant bloke 🙂

Arthur. Excellent comment. Are you by any chance an adherent to the great man’s philosophy?

My pet hates. Starting with ….

1. The lazy epithet AKB. Anyone using it should be water boarded

2. That my perfectly good iPhone has become obsolete

3. Strong wind in my face when cycling

4. Plane delays when some numpty arrives 20 minutes after final calling.

5. Socks that shrink in the wash

More later …..

Lovely idea chas, we used to have a regular rant friday if you remember and I kicked it off with a list of my own.

I agree with all yours but suggest that some others hold on to theirs in response but save them to publish in a series of personal rants 😛

Aha, Raddy has taken it beyond football – that’s a good plan 🙂

Arthur – that’s a very philosophical reply 🙂 I am 56 and still throw toys out of the pram when we lose. But like you I am aiming to be calm, next Thursday I am starting Anger Management course. Micky – I am dead serious.

22. arnie says:

A rant club. Brilliant idea, Chas. ha ha ha ha. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Back laters with 5-a-day of my own. 😛

23. arnie says:

Redders. 🙂 happy bunny, yes. 🙂

24. stevepalmer1 says:

My pet hate is while million’s of Arsenal Supporters are waiting for the start of a game, tense apprehensive and full of hope, Eleven people come out with not a clue what they are supposed to do.

These people are classed by many, as professional football player’s, Many are internationals who are their countries first choice players, but when they start they cannot pass, they cannot hold, and above all they look like complete stranger’s.

Millions of supporters flock to the games or televisions many on computers just to see their favourite team play in the famous red and white,

Now no one is asking them to do a 50 hour week on a wage that probably won’t last a week, They are also not asked to do anything out of the ordinary just work as a team and use what skill they have in a teamwork way. Hold their positions and above all stop the other team from scoring.

Now i understand that in a game of football, the aim is to score more than your opponent, and at times the other side may well be a better side. But to turn up and not perform for a whole team and not just one or two is almost scandalous. I look for a fix in every game Referee, Linesman, fixtures, player bungs,. But can not understand how a top player one week, can be absolutely rubbish the next. that is my pet Hate.,

arnie,

I am pleased that you are your usual happy self, again.

The next time I am in debate mood I shall put a D in the top corner! 🙂

Incidentally, a final word — I consider you a friend, and that is the default situation if you are in doubt, so even if I seem to bite sometimes, it is done with love!! 🙂

A final, final word — (well I am an accountant) for some reason I thought you were London born and had moved to Scotland. Apologies for that too. 😳

Sorry guys I thought I would get back on earlier than this. Not that you have all been waiting around with baited breath for my five obviously. Can i also 2nd Eddies genius at 10.29 and I am perturbed to see that Alex at 9.56 mentioned me in his list at 3 and 5.

Ok here goes:

1. Inconsistent refereeing. I don’t mind if the referees want to let more go or take a harder line but make it bloody consistent. You can see 2 different referees on MOTD give 2 separate calls for identical incidences and both sway the game one way or the other. Which leads me on to……

2. “It all evens out by the end of the season”, (in reference to incorrect decisions). No it bloody well doesn’t. It is impossible to all even out. Further I would say that titles and relegations have actually been decided upon incorrect calls not evening out at the end of the season. They just don’t want to open that can of worms for fear of what may be revealed so it is easier to say this. I wonder who has been the main benefactor of things “not evening out” between 1990 and 2012?

3. The “dying swan snipered from row z player routine” to get an opposing player booked. In fact it really comes back to the referees (and footballing authorities) again because as much as the players are the ones doing it, it is the refs and authorities that let it carry on. We all know that when a “seriously injured” player has been lightly brushed up against and performs an acrobatic routine that makes Tom Daley look like a useless amateurish twat, that it is a complete sham. Some refs even buy it and actually book the apparent vicious hatchet man (European refs are worst for this). There should be an automatic card for the acrobat and a swift kick in the gonads from the referee with a “now that’s what pain feels like sonny, remember it”.

4. Fans booing and singing derogatory (under the belt) songs. I can’t stand our fans booing. If other fans want to do it fine. The below the belt song, like the one about RVP that some of the away fans at Dortmund were allegedly singing, I would like put in room 101. I don’t particularly like the fellow myself for his utter abandonment of us but keep it classy. We are the Arsenal and should be above that, let other fans do this.

5. This is actually currently my worst hate ;the ex Liverpool players swamping the media and punditry circuit that are always referred to as “former Liverpool legend” when any comment is attributed to them. There are many in the media and pundit arena that get my goat, but this lot collectively have to be the most irritating, grating, whingeing, holier than though bunch of tossers that have ever existed. Worse they seem to be breeding like sewer rats having daily artificial insemination. They seem to always have a bad word for us while seeming to conveniently skim over / ignore any failings at the greatest institution there ever was (Liverpool F.C in case you were wondering.

They seem to talk about Liverpool as if it is some sort of holy institution while being often very derisive and dismissive of other clubs, as if they are an insignificance. Having quite liked Liverpool and the fans in general for many years these lot are doing a good job of changing my opinion, and I can actually see where SAF was coming from when he talked about knocking them off their f—ing perch.

The only one I am remotely interested in is Souness but even he has his moments. The 2 worst are Redknapp (even worse that he is a Liverpool legend / Spud cross bred mongrel), and Thompson. One example with Thomson when he recently said “He (Sanchez) made a mistake going to Arsenal and not us, as he will now never experience the passion of our fans and worldwide support we have”. Well a significant survey of world wide fan base by a German company estimated the Liverpool fan base at around 75 million and Arsenals at about 115 million. Not insignificant Phil, so stick that up your over-sized conker and sniff it pal.

Rant over. That felt good. Must do this more on a Friday.

Let me see — 5 things that deserve a good smack.

1. Men who bugger off and have their pinkies ‘dealt with’, a nancy massage, and gets his eyelashes lacquered. And we all know who that is.

2. Men who love dressing up in girly rubber suits and stand around posing like a real surfer for the bikini clad sand beauties. And we all know who that is too.

3. Men who make promises about putting on a singing vid of himself – and then renege on it. And we certainly know who THAT is.

4. Men too busy building an empire in North America, and relinquishing all responsibility for producing a mouth-wateringly good Monday Post for the denizens of AA. Well hold your head in shame – you know who you are – and so do we!

5. Men who write wind-ups about their blogger friends. And, unfortunately, you all know who that is too.

That’ll larn yer, Chas. 🙂

Steve,

From earlier — what is all that about wife swapping? 🙂

Names RA I want names. Stop being so cryptic.

How about next Friday instead of making it a general list of 5 hates we could make it the 5 things that have annoyed you most this week. Could be a regular Friday rant feature.

Superbo, GoonerB Good.

Almost as good as my five!! 🙂

My slight quibble – not that your sentiment is wrong, but I have never heard boo-ing in recent times but then, I am mainly an armchair fan nowadays. Interesting to hear if others have heard?

OK, GoonerB, you have forced me into it — tho’ everyone must know already. 🙂

1. Chas

2. MickyCertainlyDidit

3. Raddish

4. Rock-my-boat

5, And 😳

Good idea, GBG 🙂

1. “Expert” bloggers
    2. Trophy Hunting “supporters”
    3. The “moaners & groaners” at the Emirates
    4. The hit explosion on blogs when we have a poor result
    5. Michael Owen’s punditry.

Excellent RA. Is there any room in your Empire for any of us?

Have to say I am loving all the rants today.

No, No, GoonerB Bad,

The Empire builder who writes exquisite Posts is the one and only Rocky.
    (You can say what you like about him – he is never here anymore.) 🙂

Are you sure you don’t have an empire as well RA? I always thought you had.

I wish, GB, but sadly no. Since my health issues I just tick by with short-term contracts here and there. Suits me tho’. 🙂

Right, to begin with I’d just like to say that the operation was a complete success. I am now the proud owner of both male and female private parts, so when someone tells me to go f*ck myself, I can. Aside from that my health is fine (touchwood).

I had decided to take a wee break from blogging (couple of days) as on successive days this week I was given the impression by a couple of our esteemed regulars that I was partly responsible for creating the impression that this site does not allow criticism of the Club, players or performances (or that people are reluctant to criticise through fear of any adverse reaction, at least).

Frankly, I’m horrified by this and never thought that me moaning about others moaning would ever be regarded as anything other than the ramblings of an idiot.
    Anyway a few days without me polluting the early mornings with incessant trite nonsense must be good for all of us.

Back to today’s blog……. the idea was 100% GoonerB’s, so any credit due is his.
    Last Friday when there was no post, I concocted these few lines as a filler post only to find out that LB had written an u21 match review while I was finishing typing.
    Loving the rants so far especially Evonne’s and I like the idea of Fridays being a rant special of some sort.
    GoonerB’s comment about Liverpool legends is a post in itself. (but then again most of his comments are 🙂 ).

Laters.

Simulation/Diving

Rose tinted glasses

The officials behind the goal,who never seem to move, are they statues ?

Fans having to fork out for three different kits every season

Doomers 🙂

GN5’s Friday moan (the theme is on repeat for every Friday)

Watching and listening to the Dortmund supporters made me envious and wondering what our home results would be if we had that type of unfiltered support.

The difference is that the Dortmund team must feel uplifted and urged on by the support they get whereas our team wait in anticipation of the jeers that will crescendo down on them when something goes awry – even a missed pass is met with moans and groans – unbelievable……….

I realize that it’s a senseless “wish and hope” that will never happen and that leaves me sad. We could be so much better with more supporter encouragement and less moaning and groaning – but it won’t happen in my lifetime.

I’m obviously referring to the “home” support as they away fans are incredible. If this upsets folks then so be it I suggest learning the art of cheering (even when we are playing poorly) and hold back on the jeering.

41. arnie says:

1. Myself, for being a sadist, and actually love the torture that supporting The Arsenal brings.

2. Too much agreement, rare though it is, on AA.

3. Myself, for the exponential explosion in consumption of ubiquitous fluids that watching the good guys brings, to the detriment of all of AA.

4. Non-football motning banter on AA, for the pleasure it invariably brings, and to the arguments that it generates later.

5. The people who come on to AA and not acknowledge the authors and the debate, but only to point towards their pinnacles of self-glory.

42. arnie says:

Redders. 🙂

arnie, with all due respect to your 5th point – having headline posts that one has taken the time to write ignored is upsetting but unfortunately it’s par for the course. I also feel that it’s unnecessary to either acknowledge or to join in every debate.

Bloggers who uninvited come onto AA purely to put up links to their own blogs.

This I can do something about – and just have. Bye bye etfaust.

If you add to the discussion then maybe.

n.b. This does not apply to NorthBank1969

arnie. Your No 4.

The early morning crew have a long tradition of talking bolleaux over our morning coffee.

In the early days of AA we used to discuss literature, cooking, wine, films, fishing, gardening etc etc.

chas – I think I know what incident you are talking about. GB made a general comment and I joked that he meant you and you believed me 🙂 Nobody else does, it was a joke, get over it

arnie – I am guilty of sometimes not acknowledging the post and I am sorry for it. this is normally when I have nothing to add

47. stevepalmer1 says:

I have no objection to blogger’s talking about anything they like, Arnie talking about Scotland others talking about surfing many talk about wars and others may mention religion.

I try and keep to the rules of the blog, As i have been told that this is a football blog. Now i write a post about Our owners politics and get slated, Ok i can take that, Politics can cause rows religion also.

Personally since my offending post, i have tried to keep to football, what’s it going to be politics religion wars in the morning and the Arsenal for the rest of the day.

Scotland was important, many may not think so but i think our union is more important than religion, but then i am not religious.

I would just like to know the boundaries, what are we allowed, or is it al right for some and not for others. Bad enough arguing over Arsenal let alone anything else.

48. arnie says:

sorry, phrased no. 5 wrongly. what I meant is exactly Raddy’s 4:20.

And re no 5, I think I made it clear I find the motning banter enormously, even perhaps guiltily, pleasurable. 😛

arnie,

Interesting selections, and I might be able to help you out.

You say, in No.1, that you are a sadist, and Eddie baby is clearly a self admitted masochist, and I think you would go well together.

Conversations might go a bit like this:

Eddie says: Do tell me some Arsenal footy news, arnie, so I can get really upset.

arnie says: No – I don’t think I will!

It’s a ying and yang thing. 🙂

[Actually, arnie, I think you meant masochist, too – but that would have spoiled my joke.]

SteveP. We discussed the constitution as opposed to party politics but I agree it is a fine line and a subject best avoided.

51. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘evening all, touches right index finger to peak of tall blue helmet and dips slightly at knees. C’mon AAers, who was that?

I say chaps (and Eddie) what a spiffing idea for a post, and so well written. (nobody can ever again accuse me of not acknowledging the author). 😀

If only I could think of anything at all that I hate about football. I love the game, the colour, the excitement, the skill, the dedication of the players, the expertise of the officials, the impartiality of the commentators and pundits, the friendly joshing between the different sets of fans, the smell of the burger vans outside the grounds, the litter of empty bottles in the streets after the match, the vomit in the gutters. What’s not to love?

And that’s just the Norwich fans. 🙂

53. What a lovely day’s blogging – thank you chas, I know it was GoonerB’s idea but you turned it into a post so you both get the kudos 😉

NG. If I told you who it is it would age me and at the moment even the wife thinks I am a svelte 50 y.o 😀

Other things I hate ……

Mark Hughes.

Footballers who put their hands together in the shape of a heart.

Michael Owen,Robbie Savage and the imbecile Joey Barton’s inane comments.

I cannot believe that no-one has said this before which is a reflection of the Wenger years ….

I am hugely annoyed by Tottenham Hotspur and all who sail in her. Their fans are always giving it large. And every year will be “our year”, every year will be the one when they “do us”.

Add in Adebayor, Tim”gillet” Sherwood, Glenn f*cking Hoddle and his Diamond Lights. Gary effing Lineker and the Diving shirt salesman Ginola, and their wonderful Gazza. Twinkle Toes Ledley King, Clive “rat-face” Allen, the insufferable Redknapps, the shithole of a ground, the aggressive neanderthal fans.

N17 scum

The stupid transfer news stories in the papers and on the NewsNow blogs can seriously irritate.

There can be two headline stories one below the other saying;

— Arsenal set to land ‘x’.

— ‘x’ joins Man Citeh.

and so on,

The Arsenal financial results are now out, and at the end of May, before we spent any money on transfers we had allegedly £170m cash at bank. (I have not personally seen the figures yet).

So guess what? The media will report that we have a ‘war chest’ of £170m for transfers now!
    The fact that probably there was some season ticket income for 2014/15 in those figures, and that we have since bought players in the summer will not stop some bloggers claiming we still have that sum to spend and how mean Wenger is for not spending it.

Grrr.

Oh, and did I say, Raddy’s reneging on a vid of his singing, which he promised — and I won’t let him forget! 😉

Oh….

And a special mention must go to the most annoying man ever to tread a football field

Teddy Sheringham

(my keyboard feels dirty just typing his name – just off to give it a good clean)

Easy RA. I am an artist and not subject to time restraints. It will happen …..

And if that Rocky comes hurtling in to say ‘ yada yada yada’ before vanishing in a cloud offairy dust – then he should be put into Room 101, too. 🙂

Good man, Raddish. We are friends again!! 😉

John Cross is admittedly an Arsenal fan but nevertheless this is a very balanced article.

………………………………………………………………………………………..

Victory over Aston Villa would prove Arsenal’s title challenge this season

It has been a solid start, but now comes the time when Arsenal need a victory to really stamp some authority on the Premier League.

Three points at Aston Villa would be a big statement for Arsene Wenger because it would show they can go away from home to one of the early pace-setters and win. It’s also important after a disappointing result and performance at Borussia Dortmund in midweek when suddenly fans were questioning Arsenal again.

I think it’s a bit early for that, no matter how disappointing the defeat to Dortmund was. Arsenal, in the Premier League at least, have been steady. Four games, three draws and a win. Unbeaten. That’s left them with six points, in the chasing pack and definitely in the mix. But Chelsea already look dangerous, and if they’re going to drop points then it might come this weekend at Manchester City.

– Prem team news: Latest injuries and suspensions
    – James Dall: Premier League Spotlight

Arsenal winning at Villa would make people sit up and take notice. It would also be a strong response to the criticism of their performance at Dortmund and give them lift off in the league. But to do that, Arsenal also need to find a nice balance in their lineup.

Victory at Villa would be a big statement for Arsene Wenger and Arsenal.

Wenger is currently deploying a 4-1-4-1 system with Mikel Arteta sitting in front of the back four so he can fit as many attack-minded midfielders into the system as possible. That’s all well and good but Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Ozil were particularly disappointing in Dortmund, which means that you’re then carrying two underperforming players.

All eyes are on Ozil at the moment because you expect big things from a top-class World Cup winner with so much talent. He has yet to catch light this season but I simply refuse to buy into the theory that he has been a flop and been disappointing.

Yes, he’s had some bad games. But he’s also had some super games. And just look how Arsenal missed him when he was out for six weeks or so towards the end of last season.

When Ozil came back, you realised he is more influential than you think at first, using the ball well, finding teammates and boasting world-class vision and passing. But there are times — rather like in Dortmund — when he should do more. He was so quiet and disappointing. He can work harder, but he can also unlock Villa with one killer pass.

Ozil’s form has been inconsistent this season but he could still play a crucial role on Saturday.

As for Ramsey, his form has largely gone unnoticed because of crucial goals against Crystal Palace and Everton. But he hasn’t been playing well and I’m sure he’d admit that. Maybe it’s time for a rest; for him to take a breather and also recover from the ankle knock suffered while on international duty for Wales. Maybe that has been bothering him. He was struggling against Manchester City, particularly.

I’d love to see Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain start because he has made an impact whenever he has come on as a substitute this season.

Oxlade-Chamberlain gives power, pace and a directness from the flank which Arsenal could do with. I’d like to see him link up with Alexis Sanchez and Danny Welbeck; the speed would be frightening.

Villa have started well, and it’s a big test. But Arsenal can prove, with a good performance and a win, that they are determined to be in the mix this season.

J

Cheers chas, top man

1) Societys disolushment with Tottenham Hotspurs. Its not right that people should feel this about a Football club
    Especialy for a club like Tottenham, who once came second in division two.

“If…you know your history…..its enough to make your heart go ooooaaaaa”

Bloody marvalous

2) Young football fans who have never heard of Steve Archibald. The former tottenham striker was a legend who before entering football, was famed as a pin up male model

Also a Highlander, Steve once won the Highlands Goat riding championship.

3) The disgraceful way the press fawn over Ryan Giggs. Its not enough, the man should be given more credit, probably given the job of Archbishop of Canterbury

The mans riveting personality is a lesson to us all

4) Clive Allens dietician should be punnished. The more Clive eats the angirer and deranged he gets.

Lats week, after boarding a bus, poor Clive was arrested for assauting the driver. He became furious when the driver failed to acknowledge his oyster card demanding “Respect” and accusing the bloke of lacking “class”

Clives up for using an offensive weopen. Namely his arse, which he used to sit on the guy.

Its not right. The Diteician should be up instead.

5) The Garth Crooks story is a tradegy

If only the scottish people had recognized Garths incredible intelligence earlier and appointed him as leader of the SNP.

They would now be celebrating Independence.

And so would we.

64. arnie says:

Redders. 🙂 My comment was full of holes. 😛 Very poorly drafted. Nevertheless, it generated banter, which is always good. 🙂

65. arnie says:

Raddy, Edinburgh versus Glasgow was not a surprise to me. 🙂 My views are turning out so controversial, I hate to elaborate. But what the heck! 😛

Glasgow is the home of Scottish intellectuals and working class. Strange combination, but there you go. Edinburgh in my view is an outpost of London. Bankers, politicians, public servants, and people like us who basically represent British interests here and abroad.

The outcome was not a surprise for me. However, what was a bit of a surprise was the countryside not going marginally Yes. I have to admit I read this wrong.

66. A gooner who admires this blog says:

From a reader who peruses this page with enjoyment

annoyances about football,

1) Ticket prices
    2) ticket prices
    3) ticket prices
    4) ticket prices
    5) ticket prices!!!

It’s criminal how expensive the game has become! It’s at least part of the explanation for why Dortmund’s support is so much better than ours, and why atmosphere at domestic games in Germany is much better than England anyway!

The Admirer – hi! yes, tickets are expensive but so is everything else. And you cannot buy top players with Tesco vouchers, you need big bucks. I try to go once a month, that’s not too expensive

68. arnie says:

Welcome “A gooner who admires this blog”. Nice one. Please do contribute more often. 🙂

69. arnie says:

Eddie. The flavour of the day is a little bit of a whinge! Only a little bit. 😛

i sort of agree with The Admirer, almost £100 for top games is a lot of money, some families cannot afford it, which is wrong. Perhaps there should be an allocation of tickets to those who cannot afford it? Means tested tickets 🙂 Say 100 tickets a game to the poor, so some 2000 fans a year could see a game from time to time. Or is it too socialist(ic)?

71. arnie says:

Evonne. You appear to be well-trained! 😛

72. Shard says:

Late to the party, but let’s see

1. The cult of Jose Mourinho
    2. The media coverage where the game is less important
    3. Public apathy to what goes on behind the scenes
    4. Self anointed experts
    5. Poor standard of refereeing

But I think Eddie captures the spirit of a fan best when she says she hates almost everything and everybody but still turns up to watch. Very Nick Hornby and Fever Pitch of her 🙂

Match Day Hip hip….

shard – love Nick Hornby, read all his books 🙂 Take today for example – I just got up and am already planning the whole day around the game, knowing full well that it is unlikely we will win, which then means my whole weekend is going to be shit. But Monday come I will start looking forward to the next torture. Insane.

Shard

I’m a self appointed expert so you can stick that comment….errrr….wherever you like really 🙂

Chas

Sex Op. Sensational choice.

In short, you’re broadening your options. You can now begin your day by ripping back the curtains, throwing open the windows and crying…”absolutelty anybody”

I am still disturb about Chas’ revelation, he would make a fooking ugly bird

78. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    I am expecting a win today, but will probably be no worse than a draw. Arsenal players again has been ridiculed all week, questions have been asked about every single one of them. Wenger also has come in for abuse and to be quite honest, i understand how supporters feel.

Arsenal and Wenger have spent money, we have been asking for years for that to be the case. Wenger’s way of assessing who and what we need, may differ with a lot of us, and who he loans and who he keeps also makes some of us wonder.

Many of us would have liked a bit more beefing up players, big strong defending midfielder’s, as many of us feel that Arteta and Flamoney are nearing their end. Not many of us have a great deal of faith in Diaby, not that he is a bad player but how long he will last, and at the end of the day he is 28 years old, been with us forever and has only turned out a hundred odd times. Now that should be evidence enough to buy cover but apparently not.

Wenger is our manager, and we have to accept that he is the one who knows the players best, he freely tells us who he has missed out on over the years but in my mind its not who you miss out on, its who you replace with.

Arsenal, it has to be said have taken a lot of abuse. But with performances that we have witnessed, they bring that abuse on themselves.

Wenger has assembled many talented players, and at the end of the day its up to them to show what they are capable of. I would imagine that Wenger would have had all the players watching replays of Tuesdays game all week. And its my opinion he would have pointed out our many faults.

Wenger normally would give the same players the chance to redeem themselves, so i dont expect to many changes, just their attitude needs to change, 2.1 to Arsenal

steve – how old are you? you sound like a very wise old man of about 99, yet are as naïve as a 16 year old 🙂 We win today – the drinks are on me

Eddie

Chas emailed me and attached some snaps. It’s a friggin’ expensive wig and he’s had that puff-up-your-lips stuff and overall, he/she/it looks quite tasty

81. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Eddie, You make me smile every day. 🙂 Arsenal are ageing me every day, but even at my age i feel i could have contributed more than some of our superstars did Tuesday.

Glad to see Chas has completed his change and he’s happy, hope you heal quickly Chas and start enjoying yourself again,

arnie, from yesterday evening.

You are perfectly correct, many of the comments on blogs are full of holes, including mine, but anything written on the fly usually is, and that is only to be expected.

What is important is that we know on AA that the diversity of opinions has a common causality in that we are all Arsenal fans. 🙂

Micky,

Can you put some pics on the blog of the new, improved multipurpose Chas?

Did he get advice from the master Syrup, Terry, for the new wig?
    I am not too sure about the hedgehog look. 🙂

I admire anyone who has courage in their convictions and even more the balls (???) to go under the knife.

Just look at that chap who won the Eurovision. Perhaps it was Conchita’s proud acceptance of his/her differences which prompted Chas.

Whatever it was Chas, I am sure there is an Arsenal Fan Club for you. We have the Gay Gooners so why not the Transexual Gooners?

Ha ha, “multipurpose Chas”

One word for him now. Easy.

Is there going to be a name change…………Charlotte is quite a pretty name.

Well, I think the chances of me seeing the game are slim at best. Staying with me sister in the Cotswolds and internet connection is extremely poor.

What time ko?

Bingo, Charlotte it is.

Can’t wait for the sulky sod to get back. Reckon he’s now caught girly mood swings 🙂

There’s something enormously satisfying about taking the piss out of someone in their absence. Always kick ’em when they’re down I say.

Well, I got away with it yesterday, Micky, it was painless and you never even noticed!! 🙂

I wonder if Chas has become a Buddhist after his conversion?

Major shitballs

Just done a line speed test. Half a meg. That’ll be no football for me.

No ‘effing marmalade. Cannot believe it. Day getting worse by the minute.

94. Morning happy gooners looking forward to a game today

It’s a 3pm ko and away!!!!!!!! I’m not used to hunting through the streams to find our games 😦 Spoilt gooner 😀

Thanks Peaches
    At least if it’s away, there may be a running commentary on here. If I’m not otherwise engaged 😦
    No marmalade!!!!

Marmalade is tasty, very thickly spread!

The first guitar solo I learnt 😆

Surely we should call him chas-tity now? 😕

Rasp. I have never learned a guitar solo in my life but I guess one has to start somewhere. I just leaned the scales and went from there, which may explain why I am such a poor lead guitarists!

You should try the solo on Beat It Raddy, that really is a challenge. It was a lot easier years ago, the solo on Maggie May was equally easy. Once you’d mastered the solo on Stairway to Heaven you could move on to Hocus Pocus …. my favourite fun single of all time and laced with subtle jazz chords in a heavy rock context.

OK, that,s me done, silenced the blog ….. where’s chastity?

Whenever I am called upon to play the Stairway solo I just muck around with A minor runs. Sounds OK and as long as I end up with a couple of fast triads on the business end of the neck I get away with it.

I did learn the chord intro runs to Hocus Pocus. You know ,those things alternating between the D & A shapes.

Chas-tity made me laugh but expected to see it written with 2 T’s 😀

Chastitty it is 😛

the first riff on Hocus Pocus is …A ,Em7 ,Fmaj7, Cmaj7, Bbmaj7 E7#9, not the major chords that many guitarists play

This was a good riff to learn, Ian Bairnson is a great guitarist

107. I can’t compete with that 😆

108. Shall we have a new post then …………………..

…………………….. New Post everyone …………………………

One of my fave solos is in the middle of Sharona by the Knack. Way above my skill level

Great track, easy peasy guitar solo 😆

111. la machine a sous urban rivals

Name Five Annoying things about Football | Arsenal Arsenal

112. What’s up everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this site, and article
    is genuinely fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these posts.