First leg verdict : Two slightly differing opinions.

Shard’s appraisal

The game yesterday. Frustrating, but not too bad I thought. It was an entertaining enough game. They had at least two glorious chances to win it, but I thought we could have won it as well, despite playing like numpties on ice.

Giroud will undoubtedly get a lot of stick today (when does he not?) and he was pants. Utterly terrible. BUT.. That is not his real level. He’s better than that. I would have liked to see Campbell but I think Wenger wanted Giroud to play through his bad form rather than take him off and have him dwell on it. Height may have been another concern, and once Ramsey went, I don’t think he was going to come off. I also think Wenger isn’t entirely sold on Campbell. The way he talks about him. He says all the right words, but I think he’s a little undecided.

Ramsey’s sending off, I saw it exactly like GIE did. Wilshere looked like he was getting better. Not great yet. Not at his best even. But getting better. Wilshere’s hard tackle when Ramsey was kicked in the abdomen was exactly what was needed. Not reckless, but a response to Besiktas’ increased physicality in the second half.

Besiktas were pressing well, but for the most part we played through their press with calmness (as long as Arteta was there) and I couldn’t help but thinking that a fitter, more settled Arsenal side would have torn them apart. But as we know, we are not at our free flowing best. 0-0 is a bit of a dangerous result, but I still expect us to beat them at home. Even without Ramsey.

Hopefully the returning Germans and some increased rotation will help us against Everton, because that will not be an easy game.

Kelsey’s appraisal.

On the whole I am disappointed with the overall performance yet we live to fight another day.

One can’t make excuses about the pitch as it was the same for both sides,and one can only give an opinion on the players who actually played.

0-0 is okish but at the back of my mind next week there is always the possibility of conceding just the one goal.

The Turks showed their intent from the first few seconds with the cheeky shot that nearly caught Sczsceny by surprise
They were really up for it, were as physical as any team such as Stoke and we never really let us get into a rhythm.

To me we looked lethargic and a lot of our play was similar to the Palace game.

Ramsey should have known better but these things happen and as Raddy just said Arteta’s injury could keep him out for a few weeks.

If we had lost 3-1 we couldn’t have really complained so luck was on our side and it was a magnificent save from Chamberlain’s shot.
Giroud showed yet again that he is a work horse but not a game changer.
Chambers again thrown into the deep end only made one real mistake and looked very composed.

Debuchy as well looked the part but generally our small lightweight team never feel comfortable in these sort of games
If the three Germans are back next week that may well make a difference but our defence still looks very vulnerable and now we have the daunting task of Everton Away before we even think of the return leg.

Two games in and and the injuries are already mounting up.

kelsey/Shard

143 Responses to First leg verdict : Two slightly differing opinions.

1. aizedlittlemozart says:

*clears throat* one name…OZIL !

2. aizedlittlemozart says:

one venue….EMIRATES!!

3. aizedlittlemozart says:

one outcome….QUALIFICATION!!

4. aizedlittlemozart says:

I got a hat-trick!!!

You actually got a Sanogo 🙂

6. aizedlittlemozart says:

I still say the pitch was to blame!! fooking farmland is what it was!!!

Well played Kelsey, thanks.

My view from earlier, and I stand by it:

“It was all Arsene’s fault. No pace, midfield congested, nothing down the left, and yet all the options were available.

Still, 0-0 and we can easily qualify, just a rubbish game to watch and 1/10 scored by Arsene”

chas,

If you are still there.Was the pitch really that bad and the Turks weren’t even playing on their own home ground.So in essence that would balance things out,or not.

9. Prince says:

Well composed @littlemozart

0-0 away to anyone in The CL, can never be seen as a bad outcome.

What bothers me is Arsene’s square pegs/round holes. That line up/formation didn’t look good against bus parkers, and it didn’t look good against a go-for-it Besiktas, so its rubbish.

One big question for me. Who needs to be injured, or in which position under which circs., for The Ox to get more game time?

thanks Peaches! why so early?

Had the Germans been fit Pod would probably have played left.

Pitch was crap and as a passing team we struggled with it.

As Micky says, AW was found wanting last night, he should have realised earlier that we were struggling in midfield and brought on Rosicky or Ox in place of Santi who had another poor game.

The defence were excellent. All 5 deserve credit.

13. aizedlittlemozart says:

thanks prince. on 2nd (provoked) thoughts, the pitch was actually not besiktas’ home pitch as their’s is undergoing renovation/expansion/whatever. anyone know if they trained on lasts night pitch before now? I still blame the pitch though & insist, absolutely insist that we shall blow them away at the emirates! our sleekness shall amaze them, they will not be able to comprehend the rapid ball movement!!!…I tipped sanchez to run riot in yesterday’s game, he did, his team-mates were just a couple of wavelengths behind. BUT next week!!!!….with the wizard of OZ back, be afraid Turks, be very afraid ……….*i’ll be back*

stock taking:
    Arteta injured
    Ramsey sent off
    mustn’t concede next week
    have to score 2 to be safe
    the Krauts will be back

Doable, no need to doom yet.

Eddie

No-one is dooming and we’ll all be positive and up for the next game, but that was rubbish last night.

We’ll get over it 🙂

I had to spice it up a bit,Eddie

17. Shubham says:

I agree, the result wasn’t ideal but not as bad as many would like us to believe. The return leg now gets bigger than before. If last night was the best Besiktas had to offer then I am confident we’ll go through. The key however will be injuries. I am sick of loosing players in every game. This has become such a regular feature at Arsenal that it is untrue. First match, Gibbs ‘ the glass man’ out. Second match, Arteta ‘the firmest hair man’ out. Don’t know who will get injured at Goodison. Pray not anyone. Ramsey will be missed, so Jack the lad has to really step up. Giroud was so bad that words cannot describe his performance. I have been wondering for years why we don’t go out and grab a top top striker. Anyway, now focus on Everton. COYG!!

Kelsey 🙂 I like to sweeten things up

Didit – and why are you not dooming? you should. We made it much harder for ourselves than necessary, again

I will stick to my guns.
    We have most probably the finest pitch in the PL yet there were similarities in both games.Mislaid passes,being hassled in the tackle as generally we aren’t a physical team and no fluidity but for AW to say fatigue crept in, is concerning.
    One can hopefully turn these guys over at Home but generally we need to step up a couple of gears and avoid further injuries.

Eddie

I don’t doom over anything, just change the plan 🙂

However, I do like a robust analysis and a few fireworks from time to time, and thought Arsene’s terrible performance last night might produce just that, but everyone’s too nice 🙂

21. stevepalmer1 says:

A fair assessment of a very poor performance. These players are supposed to crave Champions league football, you could have fooled me.

Yes a tough place to go, but a really bad performance, Our senior players were shown up by a young lad who obviously wants to impress, and boy has he done that.

chambers for me has been motm for the last 2 games and how can we drop him. I see him fitting in as a hm as soon as meets has packed away the sun cream, and I believe he will turn out to be a must play player

Shubham

“Arteta ‘the firmest hair man’” 🙂

Well I am secretly hoping for a couple of injuries, namely Ollie and Yaya. In the nicest, least painful, possible way of course.

Then we might see some great attacking football.

Ox, Mesut, Sanchez, Theo, Aaron, Joel. These are the sunshine boys.

Steve

No doubting what a superb buy Chambers was. I’m pretty confident about our defence, it’s the attack that worries me.

Changing subject, I’d pay good money to see Slaven Bilic on the touch line next to Pardew 🙂

pretty confident micky.Kindly expand 🙂

Just injuries, Crystals.

I certainly wouldn’t be paying out money (if it’s only one quality first teamer we’re after) on a defender, when we can’t unlock a Palace or Besiktas defence.

Sure Theo ain’t around, and where will Arsene actually play Mesut? My mind boggles.

Bloody ‘Ell, Crystals, how come you asked chas the following?

“chas,

If you are still there. Was the pitch really that bad”

You have written a post-match comment/Post without even seeing the game – otherwise you would have known that the pitch looked and behaved like a slice of moonscape!

If ever anyone was well-named Crystals, it was you!! 🙂

It is odd that Wenger seems to have a predilection for strapping tall CFs like Bendtner, Chamakh, Sanogo and Giroud who frankly are a little short in the skill stakes; while preferring short, weedy midfielders who are long in the skill stakes.

(see what I did there?) 🙂

Perhaps a little balance is needed in player recruitment?

Maybe short, weedy CFs long on skill, and strapping, tall midfielders short on skill?

No – wait, I may be getting this wrong!

That should be; we need short CFs long on skill and tall midfielders short on something. No, it’s all too much for me — I’m going to join the surf fascists and bash into innocent swimmers, like ,,,,,,,, 🙂

29. charlie says:

Ramsey is a liabilty and should be sold within a week

Ah Sniffer
    What an unpleasant surprise
    Still, term time soon eh

I am a little concerned about AW’s comment on Ramsey’s “unbelievable” red card.

Even I know that a shirt pull is now an automatic yellow card. Whether it is dangerous or not is a completely irrelevant.

Perhaps he was trying to avoid difficult questions about a poor performance from the Arsenal and from Mr Wenger.

Apart from anything else there was too much distance between the front players and the midfield which meant it was pointless punting a ball to OG to knock down.

Also, thanks to the absence of a left side attacker (Santi??) we became easy to defend against.

32. Shard says:

Where I agree with Micky is that we should have seen some rotation. The likes of Ox and Rosicky should have played, and maybe Campbell given a go. Maybe the thinking is to let the first team play together to build the understanding that is clearly lacking at this point.

People complaining about the injury to Arteta confuse me. It was a contact injury during a game. What can Arsenal do to prevent that? Hopefully he’ll be back soon. He refused the stretcher in an case.

Alexis will be massive for us. He held on to the ball too long at times and messed up some crosses, but that should improve once he gets more used to his new teammates. But the ease with which he went past defenders was a joy to watch. Ox (yes Micky we know) can provide much of the same, although in a slightly different style.

Cazorla has had two poor games. Maybe he is still suffering from fatigue because of the past 2 years rather than the World Cup. But that is no excuse.He has to step up his game. He’s a big part of our team and should be one of the guys leading the way. However, we are probably most (overly?) reliant on how Ramsey plays. Yesterday he got frustrated and not in his usual rhythm, and I think the team tended to follow that benchmark.

Besiktas were really up for it, played almost the best they can I think, had a referee succumb to their rabidly baying crowd despite trying to keep some control, and we played poorly. Wenger really wants the CL. He can’t do anything about the referee or the crowd, but we will not play so poorly in the return leg.

Indeed Raddy.

Reckon Bilic watched the Palace vid and thought “Damn, we won’t be so lucky”

Then saw the team sheet and thought “Bingo. Yes we are. Right Lads, everyone bar the attackers line up as normal, but ten yards to our left as they won’t be coming down our right. Cazorla will drift central into his rightful position, but that will clog up their midfield, and we can block all the space up which will make it impossible for Sanchez”

Cheers for the post lads, very kind of you.

We will thrash them in the return. Turkish teams dont travel well. the last time they got a result away was back in 1453 when they ransacked Constantinople, and even then, it was only because Emperor Constantine left out our striker. I truly believe loads of his descendants have gone on to manage Tottenham

We played to deep, the gap between defence and midfield was to large, and we lacked pace up front.

Santi and Giroud been part of the front three rarely works, especially away.

Some will say thats Arsenes fault. He picks the team and devises the tactics, but we all have bad days.

I wont make excuses for Arsene, but he didnt look well last night. i suspect he had a fight with the wife and his dog was ill.

35. RC78 says:

I think that we got what we deserved to be honest…A draw is fair but I am annoyed at Arteta’s injury and Ramsey’s red and at the lack of creativity and pace in the second half especially (before Ramsey sent off even)…Giroud still rusty but Ox looking good…Anyways, let us wait and see but Wilshere really really needs to step up his game and become more decisive both defensively and offensively! Come on Gunners!

36. arnie says:

two fantastic and contrasting views, thank you Shard, thank you Crystals. 🙂

My arse went ballistic yesterday. Apols to anyone offended or pleasured. 😛 Time to lie low for a bit, I think.

Nice analysis everyone. A big job to do at home in the reverse leg. However, Micky says our defence is not a worry. This is good, if we do not concede, we cannot lose, in normal or extra time. Where the goals are going to come from is the question. Likely 2 goals required.

Do I have a magic wand? No, I dont. But Alexis and Giroud were playing yesterday. That is more firepower than what we had away to Bayern last year. So, clear as mud!

Maybe Campbell deserves a chance. At the very least, it will strengthen the left side as well.

COYG. 🙂 🙂

I think Wenger thought the red card unbelievable because it wasnt even a foul.
    Ramsey put his hand across Ozyakup and then withdrew it without grabbing hold of the shirt. Meanwhile Ozyakup dived as if snipered, ref was behind so couldn’t see there was no shirt pull, consequence # undeserved red card.

38. arnie says:

It was not so much the inability to score but the lack of self-preservation that frustrated me. Arteta and Rambo. Two big losses. 😦

39. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘afternoon all, A good result for us last night. A nil all draw, only one player sent off and only one injury (Arteta).

A good result for us despite playing like a load of spaced out zombies. Desperately slow in the build up, the only pace available was from Alexis and when he used his pace there was nobody even trying to keep up with him, least of all our striker Giroud.

If we don’t learn to get closer to Alexis, and give him some support, he’s going to get kicked off the pitch as well as being exhausted by the middle of September.

How long has Giroud been at the club? Well he’s in his third season and I don’t think he’s any better now than when we signed him. He has all the ball skills and pace of a brick s**t house, while his footballing brain appears to be stuck in neutral.

After watching all of the pre-season games, the Charity Shield, the Palace game and last nights effort I’ve come to the conclusion that we most certainly need a striker upgrade. To think that Giroud and Sanogo can get us through the season is laughable. We don’t need a new centre-back, the excellent Chambers is a more than good enough understudy to Mertesacker and Koscielny and with his pace and athleticism can surely fill the holding mid-fielder role when required.

So Arsene, sign a striker. Just do it!!

40. Norfolk Gooner says:

My apologies, Shard and Kelsey, for not acknowledging your fine appraisals, but I just needed to get something off my chest first.

I’m not too bothered about the return leg, by the time it comes around Die Drei Kumpels will be back, Chambers or Flamini can fill in for Arteta, Ozil can bring some guile in place of Cazorla, Giroud will need a rest (hopefully) so Podolski or Campbell could get the chance to offer a threat up front.

I the mean time Ramsey’s available against Everton and Oxlade-Chamberlain surely deserves a run out in place of Alexis who will be in danger of entering the red zone all too soon.

42. arnie says:

Norfolk. I agree that this is a frustrating issue. 😦 But the solution is not so simple. IMO.

We have 3 out and out strikers at the moment, Giro, Sanogo and Campbell. Counting Sanchez, Theo and Poldi, maybe even 6. 2 problems.

1. Who to sell if we buy a new striker? Sanogo is yet to be fully developed, and Campbell has been just signed. Perhaps you would say, Giro. Or perhaps Poldi. Then that brings us to the second question.

2. Who do we buy? Who will replace a 20-goal a year, plus numerous assists, striker. Whichever name you suggest, you can be held at ransom at the end of the year. Who will replace a WC gold medallist and priceless smile Poldi. Again, who can you think of? Plus, any new signing will take time to gel.

My points? Of course, we all know the problem, but the solution is not so simple. Certainly there is no immediate solution.

We have tried two things this year. New signings Sanchez and Campbell. Perhaps, we have to be patient and hope for the best.

This is my twopence bit. But of course, all of us now all of this anyway. 🙂

All we can do is vent our frustrations. And the victim is a 20-goal a year foot soldier. 😦

43. Quentin says:

Both offended and pleasured in equal amounts, Arnie…

44. stevepalmer1 says:

Good comment Norfolk, Who was it who said i am looking forward to playing alongside Sanchez.

The mans a carthorse, i hate to say bad things about players but Giroud is frustration personified. Utterly crap no pace, and out of the whole season he will be like a blind Squirrel who finds a nut now and again.

Arsenal need quality up front, and sorry that is not Giroud, he may do the light fantastic between bedrooms , but he certainly doesn’t perform up front.for us.

I have my doubts about a few of them, Ramsey seems to be drowning in his own love in, taps a rebound in and thinks he’s Gods Gift.

These so called superstars need to get back to good old fashioned hard work. Do the basics right and things will come together.

I was going to have a moan about the post, as it was stated that Chambers made one mistake. Girouds biggest mistake was leaving the airport.

47. arnie says:

Apologies twice over, Quentin. 🙂

48. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, hand on heart can you really see Sanogo as Arsenal’s first choice striker either now or in the next few years? I can’t.

Finding a new striker won’t be easy, but we just can’t rely on Giroud he wastes far too many chances.

The only salvation I can see is to put a fit again Walcott up front and leave Giroud where he belongs, on the bench until the seventy-fifth by which time the oppo’s defence will have been run ragged and they’ll be too knackered to do anything about him.

hahaha chas, Ive got an uncle called Puskas

Well, his real name is Frixos but in the late fifties he invented some bull shit story about how he and Puskas became mates and went drinking together, so once he was cramped he was for ever known as Puskas.

Hes not as fat as that though. Cant afford to be, been a compulsive gambler hes skint

In the eighties I spotted him coming out of a bookie and though i put a hand to my face, he recognized and pulled me up.

The Git asked me for £20 to pay his electricity, but when I suggested he ask Puskas for the money he went crazy, trying to stab me with one of those crap bookmaker pens.

In the ensuing struggle,despite him somehow getting his hand down my trousers I managed to fend him off.

Later that night when getting ready for bed, I was just about to whip my Ian Allison Arsenal pyjamas on when I noticed I had ink marks on my Y fronts. It was hard to make out, but after examining them under the light, it read “Electric Bill – £2 each way at Utoxetta”

50. stevepalmer1 says:

Fcuk me Terry, you know how to defuse a situation, that was the Bollix.

51. Norfolk Gooner says:

Steve, I would love it if Giroud could play alongsde Alexis, the trouble is every time Alexis uses his pace to get forward our Ollie is twenty-five yards behind him.

52. arnie says:

Norfolk, a few years is too far down the line. I cannot see Sanogo in the lead striker role this year. If he cannot develop in time, he will have to be sold, so his development is the club’s responsibility in any case. Arsene took a punt, and the jury is still out.

The problem is this year. I think the best solution lies not in buying another striker, but trying out Sanchez, Theo and Campbell in various 2 out of 3 combinations, and find the best one. 🙂

But that solution is at least a couple of months away. For the moment, we have to be patient. It is frustrating and we need a target to blame, so Giro is perfect fodder. I understand that as well. 😦

53. RC78 says:

I think Giroud, if he does not get injured, will score 15-20 goals this year and if he looks off for the first third of the season, then we always have the excellent option to play Walcott as CF and bring in Ox as RW…so I really don’t think that we need another striker given the fact that Walcott, Sanchez, Campbell and Podolski can play there too…

Imagine:

Sanchez- Walcott -Ox
    —————Ozil————-
    Recruit, Ramsey

It is fast and skillfull

54. Shard says:

Norfolk

That’s only the first two games though. Giroud is better than what he’s shown so far. We know this because we’ve seen it. He’s kept pace with Walcott previously. Both Alexis and Giroud are also getting used to each other. It’s not only a case of Giroud letting Sanchez down. Alexis messed up a few straightforward crosses to Giroud yesterday as well.

I wouldn’t say no to a striker upgrade at all. I just don’t get why we have to denigrate Ollie Giroud to ask for it. Plus, I am realistic about this. I don’t think there will be many out and out strikers who are available and will be better all round than Giroud. Faster? Sure. But better? Not necessarily.

We will also see Sanchez play up front when Walcott comes back. So it’s not just Giroud and Sanogo.

55. stevepalmer1 says:

Norfolk you took the words out of my mouth mate.

Giroud has been a good fill in while we have been struggling with dough,, In all fainess to him he has scored a few goals with crap service. Now we have one or two supposedly quality suppliers, we need someone who can take a chance and smash it in. Costas the other night showed what you should do given the chance, smash the fcuk out of it.

Haha, Terry, I’d love to be called Electric Bill.

Bet you wish you had a barnet like this. (Then again maybe not)

gorgeous – that cat on the photo this morning is yours. Does that mean that the Buddha is yours too?

58. Norfolk Gooner says:

Shard, Giroud and Sanogo are the only two tall strikers we’ve got.

Alexis is great on the ground but with the best will in the world he’s not ever going to be much of an ariel threat and the same applies, to a lesser extent, to Walcott.

Perhaps we should go for Andy Carroll, if he ever gets fit.

59. Shard says:

arnie

To answer your question about who to replace. With a heavy heart, I think it will be Poldi. If not this season, then next. Part of me thinks (hopes) that the succession plan is to replace Poldi with Reus. Although Reus isn’t a ‘striker’ either. But he is a beast in attack.

Micky will of course say Cavani all over again. The papers are trying their best to keep up those rumours, but then they are also linking Falcao with Liverpool.

60. arnie says:

Shard. Fair enough. 🙂

Amtrak train reached Chicago, already, oh dear. Have to catch flight. Off out now. Back laters. 😛

It’s bash Giroud day and with justification 🙂 He doesn’t score regularly against top opposition therefore because he has strength but no natural instinct in the true sense of a CF there should have been and could be better options.

We wanted Suarez and got Ozil, two entirely different typ of players.Even if we bought Suarez he would have buggered off but Ozil will come into his own,but how many slightly built offensive midfielders do we need ?

Two games gone and we are still top of the injury league.
    Ospina since the WC, Sanogo,Gibbs, Arteta,Diaby and Walcott.

Flamini also took a knock and will always be a banker for a red card.
    Kos played reasonably well last night but is he 100% fit, I doubt it.

So we don’t really have strength in depth as perhaps some thought.

62. arnie says:

Come on, we have just signed Sanchez and retained Campbell. We are not getting another new shiny toy striker just now. 🙂

63. Shard says:

Norfolk

Wow! You want to replace Giroud with Andy Carroll? I don’t even know what to say to that.

Who says we need an aerial threat all the time? Ozil feeding Ox/Campbell, Theo and Sanchez, all switching positions. Are you saying that cannot work? I think under certain conditions that team will destroy opponents, or at the very least disrupt their game plan.

Of course the height in the team will be an issue on set plays possibly. But that’s a different issue.

64. stevepalmer1 says:

Sanogo for me is taking to long to develop, he has had numerous chances and seems to have two left feet, i for one saw a lot of clips of him when he first came, and looking at them made me think that he would turn out a 20 mill striker in two years.

I feel Wenger also felt the same, but it is not unheard of that Arsene gets things wrong at times. I hate to say i think i was wrong but how many chances does a CF mess up before you bite the bullet,

Demba Bar showed that if you have the qualities you can make it anywhere, Granted he missed but the brain was a strikers. We need a hungry striker who can take a chance, He doesn’t have to be a Marquee name as if he gets the service he will score.

Its as as mud to me that Sanogo and Giroud have the same trouble they both have feet on the wrong legs

gorgeous – yes you did 🙂 Interesting object for an atheist.
    GiE has physique of the Buddha, brilliant

I phoned the Arsenal membership today to find out when am I finally going to get the silver membership. After more than 10 years I am still number 1300something. I was told it means a few more seasons 😦

I thought Buddha was just an enlightened man i.e. feck all to do with a belief in god?

Whatever the question. Cavani is the answer.

68. The Cockie Monster says:

A bit of the man in the iron mask syndrome here !…..I reckon Pompey have this talented player who run rings around Iniesta, Xavi and co….whereas we have this throw his dolly out of the pram, hugging the turf, inspecting the reproductive organs of an earth worm player !. Oi Pompey seaman suckers !….. we want our Jack back !.

but Buddhism is a religion. Does that mean you is Buddhist? Is that why you practice kissing your backside?

Raddy – the question was: who is the latest Chelsea signing?

70. The Cockie Monster says:

Maybe chas kisses his own butt for having an Arsenal tattoo on it or his butt was Jayne Mansfield`s tits in another life !.

Lobsterissimus bumikissimus

Liverpool bidding for Balottelli, interesting.

By the way if Schurle played on Monday for Chelsea why weren’t Mertesacker and Podolski in our squad last night.They didn’t play that much especially in the knockout stages of the WC

Didn’t realise Buddhists were into anal osculation. You live and learn.

They were still partying, kelsey.
    Schurrle had feck all to party about as he knew he’d have to go back to Chelsea.

chas. Love the lobsterissimuss kissimuss comment..

The worst job I ever had was being navigator for Didit 😀

No-one here I know, but some great comments 🙂

“Whatever the question. Cavani is the answer” from Raddy is the winner.

Eddie
    Chas has the Buddha to impress the ladies, that it. He thinks it says shit like “I’m sensitive and caring and will rub oil all over you”
    Pathetic, I know, but hey, if it works….

Oi Raddy

Only just saw this:

“The worst job I ever had was being navigator for Didit ”

Try being your bloody chauffeur. Non stop bleeting. Talk about back seat driver…”get on the other side of the road this, put your lights on it’s dark that”
    nag nag nag 🙂

Poor old Pants Down, had a bit of a rough ride here today.

Till the morning. Goodnight.

There seems to be a general consensus that Alexis is doing the right things and his teammates aren’t supporting him…….wonder if it was Theo running aimlessly at defenders he would get the same treatment?

GIE
    Stop talking common sense, it doesn’t befit someone of your buddha-like nature.

Haha, too true I need a beer.

Beer at 1:30am

So that’s where the swingometer came from 🙂

Wake up Chas, we need to discuss that surfboard. Do not buy it, even as decoration alongside your skimboard thing.

I’m awake and wasn’t going to buy it.
    I just wondered what was about for under £400 (if anything).

Look at this board from 1930

Built like an aeroplane wing. Hollow ribbed construction.

The object you posed was a solid thing with the cheapest looking softwood I’ve ever seen ie knotty.

But I think you were making a point about the price, so “peace on” 🙂

ah, there you are. Price, thought so.

What board be that?

Arteta “at least two weeks”

Not good, what with Gibbs and Theo

Sorry, got lost googling surfboard collections trying to find that pic. Gone.

Gorra go.

No surprise about Arteta. Hope Flamini doesn’t get sent off at Everton or that Arteta is out for the 5 games it will take for Flamini to pick up 5 yellows

Raddy

We’ve got Chambers and Coquelin, so all’s well. Anyway, the defence doesn’t matter 🙂

Morning

Obviously Raddy and others don’t read my comments 🙂

Still top of the Injury League.

Ospina,Gibbs,Arteta,Sanogo,Diaby and Walcott.Kos was not 100% fit in Turkey.

You can bet your bottom dollar Flamini will see red fairly soon ,even two yellows and he misses one match leaves us terribly short.

By the way our net spend this Summer so far is 25.5 million which may surprise some.

SPENT:

Sanchez 30 million,Debuchy 12 Million, Chambers 12 million +add ons which could make his total cost 16 million, Ospina 3 million.

RECEIVED:

13.5 million for Cesc which included 3 miilion on the sale to Chelsea,3 million owing on Song, 15 million for Vermaelen.

There are caveats in the Puma deal for non qualification for the CL proper so we just have to win the return leg and IMO AW will buy one or two players the fee depending on how the second leg turns out.Win or lose he will buy but no one wants Thursday night football.

Micky,

Forget your piddling surfboards – go to Hawaii and you will see the boards they used to use there originally.

Besides a slightly oversized statue of King Kamehameha there is a board that looks similar to the regular ones but it is the size of a small canoe.

In the thirties they used to make fantastic hollow surf boards, and Hawaii had many world champions at the time. (Mind you I think Hawaiians were the only ones competing.) 🙂

Yes …. I do sometimes hang out in museums even in paradise! Sad?

Doh! just read your 6:35 which covered my surf board contribution.

Appollo-Gees. 🙂

RA

I’ve seen the hollow ones, and the early Hawaiian boards as there is a sensational surf museum near us.

Hawaiian’s were first and best surfers, then Californians, followed by the Aussies.

Kelsey

How do you know Barca coughed up?

And now Kelsey is becoming an accountant.

Out: Sanchez £35m, Debuchy £12m, Ospina £5m, Chambers £16m = £68m.

In: Cesc £0, Vermaelen £15m, Song (?) £5m = £20m.

Net Spend: £48m.

Kelsey’s Net Spend = A dodgy £25.5m — Yup, he has all the credentials needed to be an accountant.

Mind you Crystals, even if Barca haven’t, we could still make the Cavani deal work 🙂

Is there a post lying about in the office?

Sorry RA

You are actually really really wrong. I have had it checked it out by my source. Barca couldn’t sell Cesc without paying up..All your figures are wrong,every single one, except Debuchy 🙂 🙂

The office is closed,Micky. Rasp has gone walkies. 🙂

Micky

I have something for today. It is in hand.

An LB
    Marvellous. Can’t wait.
    I’m guessing something along the lines of never play Jack and Aaron at the same time, defences don’t matter, and Cavani is the man for us 🙂
    Am I warm?

LB has written a post for us for today which will be published at 9.30.

Still need a post for tomorrow, although I haven’t read the comments so maybe someone has already offered 😉

These are exciting times.

Season back on.
    CL qualification a dead cert
    We’re rolling in cash
    Window still open

always had you as a cold fish who does not appreciate photos of babies (not babes)

I think Reus is back on the radar, but who knows. With 10 days to go anything is possible.

Thursday night and Totts are in action again 🙂

Kels – so what are you saying – that Barca has just sent us a cheque to the tune of some £30 mil ?

108. Oh I see you’re chatting about today’s post, that’s good.

I posted a link to great article earlier this morning although it didn’t mention that we needed to buy Cavani but it doesn’t appear to have come up ……. durr it’s probably on another post, wake up peaches. I’ll see if I can find it, it talks about my favourite formation 4-6 …………. so no room for Giroud either 😦

Don’t worry Peaches, there will be a post for tomorrow.

Last minute conversation starter can always be rustled up unless some brainbox has something sensible to say 🙂

No Eddie.
    They have payed us 16.5 million for balance on Cesc and Song

111. Thanks micky.

Here’s the article ……. I posted it on yesterdays blog 😳

wp.me/p3Yt1s-2Fc

112. Shard says:

Kelsey

What about the fee received for Vela?

Interesting that Barca paid us 10m for Cesc out of their own pocket. If he cost Chelsea 30m, we could have got him for 20m,which seems like a real steal (Yes I know we would still be paying 30m in effect RA)

WHich leads me to the conclusion that Arsene Wenger really didn’t want Cesc back and I just think it’s not to do entirely with football reasons. Maybe Darren Dein, or maybe Cesc’s attitude had something to do with it. Anyway, done and dusted.

Interesting also that you say we will buy more players but are waiting to know our Champions League status.

In the 3 positions of ‘need’, the players linked I can think of, are as follows

CB: Manolas, Alderweireld
    DM: Khedira, Carvalho, Rabiot
    Att: Cavani, Costa, Reus, Vargas (though that one has died down)

With rumours today of Podolski’s departure, and the situation in Ukraine, I would think Costa might be the most likely (maybe on loan), though I would wish for Reus.

Cavani seems like a pipe dream to me. But who knows? Wenger used to love collecting strikers. Maybe he wants Cavani.

Eddie
    Can’t imagine who you are referring to as Cold Fish, but if me, let me show you my sensitive side.

LeGrove used to have Gooner Dogs, and I love those pics.

114. Thank you kelsey for stepping up yesterday to put together the two comments into a post.

Peaches

Never praise Crystals. It goes to his head and he becomes unbearable.

but did you get a chocolate lab yet? Ok. you are more like a dolphin 🙂

Thanks Kels, so it is about half of £30m, not enough to buy Cavani

No problem peaches

80% on LG get their GCSE results today the others didn’t make it that far.

118. fatgingergooner says:

It doesn’t matter how much money we have, it’s all about having someone to buy.

Lots deem that Wenger has too much faith in players like Arteta, Giroud and Sanogo, but we already know he’s put bids in for Suarez and Higuain last season, and there’s been lots of noise about Khedira and Carvalho this.

If you look at the best strikers in the world, they are all at top clubs on massive wages. There is a real shortage of talent out there, and more importantly, a real shortage on played that can improve what we already have. People will name players like Mandzukic, Tiote, Balotelli, Remy and the like, but these aren’t players that are going to take us to the next level, not on paper at least.

As any manager would, Wenger will only buy players he believes to be a big improvement on what he has. The problem is, by most teams standards, what we currently have is pretty good. So who are these players that can improve us, and more importantly, can we get them?

119. The Cockie Monster says:

kelsey
    I was going to say the same as Shard…..” what about the fee for Vela ! “, but I wont as he has already done it !.

Sorry I cannot stop myself 🙂 there are 2 stories in today’s news that are mind blowing

1 Stand up comedian courses for vicars
    2 Fecking jihadists from Britain will one day come back to Uk

We are living in VERY STRANGE times. I tried, but cannot connect those 2 pieces of news to football, sorry

121. The Cockie Monster says:

I think the piss taking of ThatSanogoal has gone too far and crossed the line………unlike his shots !.

Eddie

I totally “get” why you read The Daily Mail. Quality stories 🙂

Can’t make the Peaches link work.

123. I’ll try to find the tweet ……………..

124. Found it ………..

125. The Cockie Monster says:

Stand up Comedy courses for Vicars !….is that different to the stand up intercourses for paedo Priests !

Jihadists will obviously come back here to use the NHS after getting it totally wrong on how to use French letter bombs !.

How much did we pay to get rid of Park,must be the same as we got for Vela 🙂

New Formation for Everton: 2-9-0 just to play safe.

When did we last have a really good CF ? Eduardo might have made it,until the leg break,but one has to go back quite a number of years

128. The Cockie Monster says:

From your revolutionary line up, Kelsey !…..does Szczesny play RB or LB as rush goalie ?

No 2 keeeprs just to be on the safe side 🙂

130. The Cockie Monster says:

Park wavered any financial payments in exchange for 1st pick for life at Battersea Dogs home !. He reckons it`s a dogs bollox deal !.

Crystals,

I have to be honest, my figures were magicked up from the ether and also my buddies Jack Russell terrier, just like yours – well not ‘just’ like yours, because yours were …….. woof, woof. 🙂

dolphin – you’d think it is a Daily Mail shit, but no, it was on the BBC news

133. The Cockie Monster says:

Apparently Korea has a McDonalds franchise called McDoggies !. It`s on-line with Park and his missus ordering a McDoggies dogs bollox meal deal for two !

Funny you mention Battersea Dogs Home.

My wife just signed up to pay 10.00 a month to keep them going.
    Their overheads are an unbelievable Lucky they get benefactors who leave all their money to them.

Our government meet 25% of all standing order donations to help.

New Post folks.

136. Shard says:

“If we were really intent on buying Suarez (who still in all likelyhood would have left at the end of the season) why did we buy Ozil. Two great players but totally different positions.”

Kelsey,
    Because we had two problems. That of creating chances and of scoring. I’d venture we had about 60m to spend and we also needed a midfielder.

We tried for Bender and Gustavo. When that didn’t happen, we got Flamini for free instead.

We also tried for Higuain at about 20m it seems to fix our problem scoring goals, but when the price went up to close to 40m, we switched to Suarez who could do both score and create.

In the end, we went for a 40m pound assist king and waited to get a scorer in.

Of course that is conjecture on my part. But that is how I see it.

137. The Cockie Monster says:

Maybe they should put it up on the Stock Exchange………there`s millions of potential investors from Korea who would like to get on the Wooftie 100 index !.

138. Howdy I am so excited I found your blog page, I really found you by error, while I was browsing on Askjeeve
    for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just
    like to say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot
    more, Please do keep up the awesome jo.