Ramsey rescues Ring Rusty Gunners

Some may query my headline but that is exactly what Aaron did.

I have already read countless opinions dissecting every detail of the game from time wasting by Palace, and parking not one but two buses in two banks of four, poor refereeing, first win by us in five years, only home win of the day, but most importantly we gained the three points.

Overall it was obvious how Palace were going to play as this was Pulis’s team and to give credit to them they are a vastly improved outfit and finished a creditable eleventh last season.

It was obvious from the start that some of our players were fitter than others and generally the the three debutantes had a reasonable game.

Chambers could turn out to be one of the best young buys of the season. Debuchy played his part and his whipped cross into the box will produce goals. Sanchez though by no means perfect oozes class and is also not scared to get stuck in, so all in all no complaints there.

What worried me was the predictable pattern in the game that we have seen so often.

We dominate possession for the best part of half an hour without really threatening only for the opposition to score after an initial rash moment by Szczesny,which lead to a corner and Hangeland basically had a free header to score. Yet the same could be said for the Palace defence when an excellent free kick by Sanchez left Koscielny completely unmarked, but to give him credit he guided the ball well past Speroni.

Even with substitutions at half time because of yet another in jury to Gibbs our game didn’t improve much, though as one who has questioned Monreal quite often, he contributed quite well.

With twenty minutes left we finally seemed to find our rhythm better and the introduction of Giroud proved to be a far better option than Sanogo who IMO is at least two seasons away of possibly becoming a real striker.The OX for Wilshere was the right decision.

I don’t feel it is appropriate to criticize every seasoned player on the pitch on the opening game, but one would have thought after the resounding victory over City last week, regardless of who played, that confidence would have been at a premium.

We need a top class striker but we won’t get one and more to the point are there any available, but more importantly we need a player who can cover for Gibbs or Monreal on the left side of the defence.

The three Germans returning don’t resolve these problems so hopefully a quality versatile defender who can play left side will be purchased before the end of this month.

If Koscienly suffered an injury our defence would really suffer so although Wenger has a real headache as to chose the numerous options of attacking midfielders our defence still needs bolstering

kelsey.

98 Responses to Ramsey rescues Ring Rusty Gunners

Morning Kelsey, well done on summarising the match.

I’m not sure Szczesny was rash, he is asked to sweep, he swept and the ball went to Chamakh, what happened after that was all a bit panicky, Koscielny did not need to stick a leg out, Szcesny was back in his goal and it wasn’t travelling at pace, he could have picked up the speculative effort.

And this was repeated when Palace attacked on other occasions a little too messy, and the reason for that? I think the lack of the BFG he is a very calming and vocal presence.

I also think Arteta deserves a mention, I liked the way after half time he had Jack and Aaron with him and you could see they were talking about how they were going to try to control and move the ball, but the way both Aaron and Jack were listening was clear to see. For the first time in a while we have a skipper that others will look up to and has the knowledge and experience the position warrants. Most importantly he is a team player.

Giroud offers more in these kinds of game than Sanogo, the youngster has a lot to learn especially against teams who defend as Palace and many others will.

kelsey. Thank you. A good summation.

It is always interesting reading others thoughts on the game.

I watched it with California Gooner who thought Jack had a good game, others thought he was poor. I thought Santi was way off form – Eddie thought he played well etc etc

What I could not understand was that given how many times we concede from corners against Orc teams ….. why the hell do we not have coverage on the posts? Sanchez would be better used standing on the line than jumping to try and head a cross he will never reach.

To me this is basic defending and yet something we rarely do. One thing that is for sure is that had we had a player on the line we would not have conceded.

Other than that we should commend CP for putting up an energetic and above all fair display of defensive football. Few cynical fouls, no rotational attack on JW. I wish them well in the season to come.

One thing kelsey. I do not agree that the return of our 3 Germans will have no influence. I think two of them make a major difference.

BFG would have been in front of Hangeland and Ozil would have been more effective than Santi.

Oh and why has Kos recovered from the WC so much faster than OG? Or JW? Or Ox? Or Debuchy? Giroud should be ashamed of himself when he sees a raw Sanogo start ahead of him.

Thanks Crystals

As Raddy has just said, it’s interesting how differently people view a game.

For me, three glaring conclusions from yesterday.

One, usual vulnerability from set pieces in defence, but more importantly, we dominated possession for the first half and couldn’t stretch their defence. Why:

Two, no left sided threat whatsoever. Santi kept drifting central (into his rightful and natural position). I was sitting east stand near the excellent Palace fans ie above the LW area. It was empty. Huge open spaces of green turf. I was discussing with Peaches and Rasp before the game how I think we need a LW’er more than a DM. Boy was this obvious.

Three, you cannot play Jack and Aaron at the same time. With Santi drifting central, it was overcrowded in the middle, making it so much easier for Palace to smother us. With the lack of movement from Yaya (as described by GIE), the only outlet was Sanchez, so again easy for Place to smother that threat.

In short, we need to bury these teams when we have long periods of possession.

5. Shard says:

Thanks Kelsey

Arsenal may have been rescued, but I really think the goal was down to Debuchy being in the right place, as much as was the case with Ramsey.

All in all, a satisfying result. I think the players were trying too hard all throughout the second half rather than just playing their game. While I was nervous initially, I think I just calmed down towards the end. It didn’t feel like the world was ending even if we didn’t win. And somehow it felt like Arsenal will create another chance.

I’m not sure we NEED a top class striker. Cavani is the rumour going around if that’s your thing, but if we are to buy an attacker, I’d rather it was Reus. Especially at the comparative prices mentioned.

Gibbs’ injury was the black mark yesterday, but Monreal, along with Flamini/Coquelin/Miquel, should be ok as long as Gibbs isn’t out for too long. Hopefully we bring in another CB though. The media today reports medical for Manolas, and a bid for 19 y.o. Adian Rabiot from PSG (he’s a midfielder) If we sign both these players, I would be delighted with the state of our squad.

6. Shard says:

BR

Attackers typically expend more energy than defenders. It’s not the world cup itself. Giroud played a lot for us last season. I think there’s also a little bit of injury management taking place here rather than Giroud simply being unfit. He’ll start midweek I think.

7. Shard says:

Apparently, a bird pooped in Ashley Young’s mouth yesterday 😀

Oh good, I disagree with Shard 🙂

Cavani would be an exceptional piece of business.

On the defence, I’m convinced Chambers is more that good enough as CB cover. We have enough midfielders, but a real shortage of opportunist goalscorers that can individually unlock defences.

Massive periods of possession in the final third and nothing yesterday. Ok, due largely to a lack of width, but on Cavani, he was sensational at Napoli and completely justified his massive price tag when moving to PSG.

They then stuck him out of position, where he is miserable and ineffective.

Uruguay do exactly the same with him, as understandable they go for Suarez in the middle.

Cavani’s speed, movement, aerial power and two footed firepower, with Theo and Sanchez alternating flanks, would be deadly and give us the goals we’ll need to win the title.

He was top of my pre-WC shopping list, and his value must have conveniently dropped.

9. Well done Kelsey.. good views on the match. As I didn’t see much of it your analysis was helpful. My thinking on Giroud is that he was probably being rested to play in Turkey in mid-week. For everyone to understand why I didn’t see much of the match, despite being at a bar for the whole game, read my Sunday supplement here:

I thank Peaches in advance for letting me post my link. But my blog today is very much a ‘man’ thing, so she is banned from reading it 🙂

Shard. Good point about Gibbs and also mentioning Flamini etc who are the obvious candidate for left side defensive cover.

In fact, if PSG could be convinced, I’d throw in Podolski and Jack to cushion the financial blow. We would be Net so much stronger and more effective.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, thanks Kelsey for a fine summation.

I agree with Big Raddy about the lack of a player on the goal line. We always used to position one either side, why did we change and who’s daft idea was it to set Alexis to mark Hangeland.

On the telly it looked as though Koscielny was limping at the end of the game, was that his achilles, the injury reported during the week?

If Gibbs has pulled a hamstring, our defence is looking more than a bit “short”.

Good news is that “Olympiakos centre-back Kostas Manolas, 23, is undergoing a medical at Arsenal ahead of an £8m move to Arsenal”. According to goal.co.

13. Norfolk Gooner says:

Hey Micky, did you notice it was two of those “boring” defenders that scored the opening two goals yesterday and a “boring” defender who set up Ramsey’s winner. 😀

Oh yes I did Norfolk

Just underlines my point as to how the current attackers cannot do it on their own, and rely on set pieces 🙂

15. Shard says:

micky

You just have a man-crush on Cavani 😀

You aren’t wrong about him though. He was great for Napoli (at least based on a highlight reel) It’s just that I’ve never seen him have a good game whenever I’ve watched him play. That includes Napoli vs Chelsea, and PSG vs Chelsea. Maybe he just sucks at playing against Chelsea. But maybe it shows a lack of big game mentality?

I’m not convinced we need another attacker anyway (although that depends on Joel Campbell and Serge Gnabry’s development), and I certainly wouldn’t say no to Cavani. But at 50m when we could conceivably get Reus for around half that, I’d go for Reus. You see, I have a man-crush on him 🙂

Giving Podolski in part exchange for either of them wouldn’t be the worst thing actually, though I say that with a heavy heart because I like Podolski.

Ok Shard,

Agree about liking Podolski’s infectious character, but a LW he is not. Reus or that little French fella Griezman would be good, but to be clear, Cavani is not my sort 🙂

Playing Santi in the middle yesterday with Aaron, and using Joel instead of Jack would have been far better.

By not picking Ox or Joel, I think Arsene played into Palace’s hands by congesting the middle.

I don’t think they bus parked at all, and we’ll be confronted by this from every team ie they defend as a team in numbers and counter and attack as swiftly and effectively as the quality of their forwards allow.

Right that’s enough of my tactics bollocks 🙂

18. Shard says:

Micky,

Your bollocks are very agreeable..

uummmmm.. What I mean is, I agree with your tactical analysis… yeah.. that’s what I mean..

Of course, Campbell was another who has a pretty gruelling World Cup campaign, and Ox was still injured then, so maybe they are being eased back too. I think Wenger is still deciding on how to play to get the best out of this squad since he now has so many options.

19. Thanks for the report oh bouffant one and it brings up a point I’ve being trying to ignore as it makes me uncomfortable: our potential defensive disaster.

Good to see the regulars pre match, Peachy(or should I say Prachy?) Rasp, Mdi89, Chas, Ant & Duck etc..

If anyone wants to see my “feelings” on the match they’re over here:

I still think we are a work in progress.

If i understand correctly,zonal marking that we employ doesn’t require a man to cover the post .

I am not that great in putting my thoughts on paper but I agree with Micky that we are unbalanced and our whole left side from back to front is often vunerable.

Gibbs has tweaked a hamstring,not sure about Kos.

What I was trying to say is that generally speaking Wenger has always liked attacking sides which leaves us vunrable to the counter attack, and players like Santi AND Podolski,when he plays are uncomfortable dropping back
    Sanchez shouldn’t really have to play that deep.

Sorry kelsey but it will not surprise you that I disagree.

A left side of Gibbs/ Monreal, Arteta/Flam & Santi/Pod is strong and will be stronger when Theo returns and Sanchez go to LW.

It is inevitable that we would be stronger on one side and in recent seasons we have been stronger on the right. Not since the Pires days were we stronger on the left.

Brief break from outside stuff

Kelsey

I’m not sure why people keep going on about the need for another CB. I mean, we have the greatest English prospect fir ages in Chambers, who really looks good.

My question is, who out there is better that would be happy to be second choice?

The other thing is that recent conceded goals from set pieces have nothing to do with the quality of Chambers. How do I know this? Because Mert and Kos did the same thing last season.

In other words, it’s down to coaching. Over to Exile 🙂

Final point. Had we been two up, conceding the odd goal wouldn’t matter. Best form of defence is attack. Get a Left Winger Arsene. We haven’t had one since Bobby.

Ah ha, Raddy. Bonjour.

We disagree and disagree. How annoying 🙂

Disagree a Pod/Santi left is strong. There is no evidence for this at all. Agree, about Pires.

Raddy
    Yesterday I was staring into the whites of the Gibbs eyeballs, and the message was clear.

“There’s quarter of an acre of finely mown grass ahead of me, and no-one standing on it. I’m desperate to power on forwards, challenge their shoddy looking right back, stretch their defence and create chance after chance. Problem is, Santi has gone walkies to try and create something from the middle because Jack can’t do it, and that leaves my defensive duties without cover. Oh hell, I’ll retreat”

25. maconsultancy says:

Reblogged this on Welsh Sports News.

Micky. I have to kowtow to a man who was at the ground, however Santi’s lack of discipline (?) in not staying out wide and thus clogging up the centre of the pitch is not due to Wilshire having a difficult game.

Once Theo or Ozil returns we will see Sanchez go left and he is more defensively aware.

I have to remonstrate with those saying Alexis was marking Hangerland, he simply wasn’t it was his zone and as Carragher said his job was to block him as much as possible, which he did before returning to concentrate on his zone.

Giroud does that near post job so well, Sanogo got dragged forward another bit of inexperience.

28. jnyc says:

Great summary Kelsey, and hard to disagree with most of the comments.
    Santi was a mess yesterday. Id like to see him share time with Ox more. Dont think he should be automatic selection or 90 minute player , but he still has alot to offer anyway.
    Monreal looked great, debuchy better than Sagna.
    — chambers very interesting…… his stats and what I observe show maybe he can have a future in midfield.
    Alexis will be a great player for us.. hard worker, relentless. Giroud may be a better selection against parked bus opponents. I still think sanogo will be a surprise …. yes, a good one.

Dreadful performance from the Indian batsmen 😀 😀

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Kelsey,
    We take all 3 points and still we pick the team to pieces. I of course understand that the 3 points are the most important thing and supporters expect that but they also want style.

Its early doors and the team are not fully fit, some are still not back so i am going to be soft on them.

I like the fact that we have won our opening game of the season, and as Kelsey has stated , its been 5 years since we won one. thats a positive in my book.

Lots of speculation on new strikers, i also read that Eto is waiting for the call from Arsene, at 33 years old i hope he is waiting a long time,

This season’s start has been hampered by the world cup, Wenger has been very generous to the players who played, but although the world cup is important to the players i don’t believe it should affect playing in the first game of the season.

Many players who sat on the bench last term was a little mift they want to be first choice, its my belief that they should make sure they are available for all premier games as that is their bread and butter.

Maybe they should wait until we have a loss before they play, as a winning team is a winning team. I get annoyed when players get injured on international duty, then come back here and get looked after, then expect to play for their countries when fit

I believe a club rule should be that any player who gets injured on international duty, should play at least 3 games for the club so we can make sure they are fit enough. I would be gutted if Theo played one game for us when he finally returns, only to be picked by Hodge son .

Maybe i am an old moaner but its club football that makes them millionaires.

Cheers, kelsey.
    A ropey 3 points but what a beautiful climax. 🙂

33. fatgingergooner says:

There were only 3 ways we could’ve stopped their goal really.

1. Block the run of Hangeland. I think Sanchez did as much as he could without risking giving away a pen, so no blame there.

2. Win the header. Kozzer was never going to win that as Hangeland had a run and is 6 inch taller. Only Merts would’ve stood a chance and he wasn’t on the pitch.

3. Have a man on the post. This is the only thing that we did wrong that would’ve prevented the goal. It was a cracking ball in and a good run by Hangeland, and you can’t always prevent the header going in, but a man on the post is a basic thing that could easily be corrected.

35. fatgingergooner says:

I thought Sanchez was excellent off the ball yesterday, both with possession and without. He really works hard and does far more sprints in a game than anyone else on the field, yet never looks tired. This will be a real asset as it will rub off on those around when we are closing down the ball. It also gets the crowd going, which is never a bad thing.

It’s not just his ability with the ball that we can look forward to watching this season.

Good report Kelsey, thanks!
    I agree with almost all you said including the work in progress. Let’s not forget that we had we had 3 brand new players on the pitch yesterday and you would not know it – they all blended in extremely well; give them time and they will glue permanently with the team.
    I got a feeling yesterday that we were a bit disjointed and lacking fluidity. First game of the season, new players, Sagna, Verm and Jenks no longer there – these might be the reason if I was looking for an excuse. But am I bovered? Nope, happy as Larry with the 3 points

37. fatgingergooner says:

Cabella and De Jong could be fun to watch at Newcastle this season.

38. I agree with chas @4:39pm 🙂

39. Shard says:

Kelsey and Micky

The media now reporting that we’re signing Chile striker Eduardo Vargas on loan.

Although it’s still a rumour at this stage, I don’t know why I have a feeling that there’s something to it. However, if this does happen, surely one of Podolski or Campbell is gonzo… The fact that it’s a loan deal could indicate a loan for Campbell rather than an outright sale of either of them, but who knows.

Maybe this is a way to help Alexis settle at the club while adding some more firepower.

40. stevepalmer1 says:

its being reported that a PSG player is having a medical at the Arsenal

41. fatgingergooner says:

I’m assuming that’s Rabiot then Steve?

He’s a young CM that we’ve been after for a while apparently.

42. fatgingergooner says:

Shard,

Maybe he doesn’t trust Sanogo to be 2nd choice. Campbell and Podolski are more wide players than central strikers.

to be fair to the TalkShite radio they prefer to slag off Manu now. I must say it is great fun

44. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening FGG, never heard the name, and wouldn’t know him if he stood by the side of me, but if he’s any good, bring him on 🙂

Eddie but it isn’t difficult to slag off ManU at the moment, the question has to be how to attract players whilst having no CL, how to prevent CL players leaving, all when encumbered by a huge interest payout every year to the Glaziers to finance their purchase of the club. If I was a ManUre fan I’d be looking for a way to get the club into a more traditional ownership structure with a man or business who actually has the money available to buy the shares outright rather than requiring borrowings.

Atletico BB – very true, Manu are in dire straits, which is a very enjoyable scenario for any gooner. Are you saying that they will struggle to get out of the hole? I hope LVG’s motivation skills are as flat as his face and fails to lift the players and especially those from his own country.

47. Shard says:

Eddie

If there’s one thing we must recognize LVG for, it is that he converted Bergkamp from a winger into the ‘no.10′.

The problem is, LVG would want us to remember that too and almost take credit for Dennis’ genius.

According to Cruyff, Van Gaal is someone who doesn’t make any exceptions to his tactical plans. Even for talented players. Bergkamp said that Van Gaal’s fanatical approach wouldn’t have worked with Ajax if they weren’t an extremely young side. Bergkamp actually fell out with him.

Of course a lot has changed since then, but Van Gaal is actually crazy. He sheds tears when he sees his team play beautiful football. He talks himself up to his players by dropping his pants and saying ‘I got the balls’, and he never tires of talking himself up too. He is who Jose Mourinho learned from. Which is why Mourinho sometimes can’t really accommodate good players within his systems. Although Van Gaal, unlike Mourinho, wants to play attacking football.

I think Van Gaal won’t last at ManU beyond the 3 years or so that he’s been given. But sadly, I think he is almost exactly what they need at this time. RVP is his pal, and Rooney has been won over with the armband. The rest of the team will fall in line, especially as they are used to a manager bossing them around and ruling through fear.

However, recruitment might be the problem. Without CL, it is tough enough. They have money of course, but so do other clubs now. And LVG is unlikely to be every players’ idea of a good thing. I would expect at least one, if not 2, big signings for them before the transfer window closes. I just hope Vidal is not one of them.

48. Shard says:

fgg

Possible. But I hadn’t thought of that because I think it’s unlikely that the only other player who offers us some of the qualities of Giroud, would be let go.

Oh dear I can hear Matk Larwenson now “don’t Fanni about there”……”

51. fatgingergooner says:

Shard,

I wasn’t suggesting Sanogo needs to leave, just that maybe it would be better if the workload of our second choice striker was shared between him and someone with more experience. He could be very good, but he isn’t yet.

52. Shard says:

Fgg

I don’t disagree with you there. On the other hand, he won’t get better unless he’s playing.

But I think the original point still stands that if we sign Vargas, one of Poldi or Campbell are more likely candidates for leaving (either permanently or on loan) than Sanogo.

All of them could stay too, but I don’t know if there will then be enough games to go around.

But figuring that out is all part of the exciting season we’re having. Not to mention an exciting transfer window.

For Sanogo to be of use he needs to watch and learn from Giroud.

He will not help us playing on the shoulder and staying centrally. And to be that kind of player he needs to work on his feet, he has a fierce strike (according to YT highlight reels) and he has some pace.

But so rarely will we have the luxury to use him for those attributes.

Watching yesterday made me realise that there are very few games where Giroud might not be the front man, perhaps City, United and Liverpool. Otherwise everyone else will park two buses at the Emirates and a fair few will attempt the same at home, especially after one third of the season has gone and the league behind to take shape.

Btw a word on Alexis, like others what I like about him is the way he presses the ball after he loses it, yesterday he made it possible for us to win all back up the pitch, and others took a leaf from his book.

The important thing about that is it’s not 10 passes, lose it then they counter and hopefully ball in Szczesny’s possession, it’s 10 passes, lose it, win it back high, 5 passes opportunity. It means in games like yesterday the defence don’t get the breathing room we have afforded teams in the past. I honestly think Santi stays in the team because like Sanchez he is keen to press, Rambo does it too, then it’s up to others to raise themselves to the same level.

55. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

It was actually pace in behind and someone playing on the shoulder that we missed last year, but like you, I don’t think we necessarily need that from our striker, espescially against sides defending deep with 10 men behind the ball.

IF we have pace on the wings with Sanchez and Walcott then Giroud is the perfect foil, but if these players are injured then it may be that someone like Sanogo will be useful for stretching the field.

Our ideal striker would be Giroud’s skill set but with more pace, but they are £40m+ and playing for teams like Madrid and Bayern!

£40m? Drop in the ocean 🙂

Perhaps we could try this at corners, both attacking and defending. I’d like to see Hangelaand run through the middle of that.

One day to go 🙂

And it’s on telly.

Another one for the corners could be the Jumping
    Jews from Jerusalem 🙂

Ooops, here they are

Morning Chas,
    Good to see you and your crew the other day.
    Thinking about Executive Supporters, must have been total of about 250 years of support right there 🙂

Or the Balinese Monkey dance – though not sure if Bouldie would like players sat down.

Good to see you, too.
    ‘Executive supporters’ made me laugh. What a tosser!

What was his name?

Funny thing about those people, is that they say they support Arsenal not Arsene, so won’t go while he’s there.

Kinda implies they support the manager not the club.

Oh well.

By the way, those pics of your train on the Ant ‘n Duck show. What period? Or do they wheel out a third class carriage for your sort on Saturdays. Not surprising it takes so damn long.

Like the jumping jews of jerusalem.
    How about some whirling dervishes in Istanbul?

You said you had 3 Dannys sat in front of you. 🙂

We were in first class, you cheeky sod.

Give me Rack of the Day every time over a bunch of twats in beards and dresses

HA HA HA Seriously. Those low plastic vomit proof benches, and they convinced you it was first class 🙂 Oh ROLF LAMOW

Ah yes Danny, now I remember.

HELLO DANNY

Actually, Danny is in Israel. Wonder if he’s a Jumper 🙂

If you went racing and a jockey had the red silks with white sleeves, you’d have to have a bet, wouldn’t you? 🙂

Rack Of The Day is such a funny title

Yep, you should support the club and team regardless of who the manager is.
    Otherwise we would have had no supporters left when Terry Neill was manager. 🙂

who is that Danny? I didn’t see any comments from him

only 2 good results from this weekend – ours and manu. Good to see Bejing back in action 🙂

I think it comes from an old Australian barbecuing term.

Gotta go, ta-ra.

I think Danny used to be a Buddhist.

Steeeeeve

Morning Eddie.

hi micky. so who is that Danny

Oh do read the comments Eddie 😦
    ps Saturday before the game

Morning all.

I have come to the conclusion that the transfer window should be shut before the season begins.There is sufficent time to do that.

Each club should be restricted as to how many players they are allowed to loan out or in and come to think of it when did we actually take a player on a long term loan,say a season.Kallstrom doesn’t count.To define that I mean players who can add depth to a first team not those who need to play regular football at a lower level than at Arsenal, as IMO there is a big difference.

Finally I was a little confused as to who was doing the match report as LB made a comment but no one in authority answered and then he wasn’t around yesterday so I just decided by myself.

I have to say for the first game of the season I had expected more contribiters rather than comments and the hits were pretty low.
    Any idea why many weren’t interested in commmenting on the first game of the season,or is it a Sunday thing.

oh I did read the comments micky 😦

Don’t know Crystals

Have to say there was a seriously apathetic atmosphere in the ground. If it wasn’t for the Palace fans, you could have heard a pin drop. Weird. First game, sun shining, new players.

Summer holidays still in effect Kelsey I’d imagine.

As for loans I guess Benayoun (although that was right at the end of the transfer window).

Micky I never find the atmosphere great at those 5:30 kick offs.

Too long in the pub on the beer dulls the senses.

Crystals

You’re in authority aren’t you?

I mean you have the keys to the office and can post stuff and whatnot. You’re always in the office after hours, beavering about, sniffing about in other peoples’ drawers, and taking butt selfies on the photocopier 🙂

Seriously Exile, don’t know if it came across on telly, but the home fans were silent. Bit shouty when we scored, but that’s it.

All you could hear were Palace, and their “Can you hear the Arsenal sing?”.

Don’t know what Red Action do, but are they meant to be the hard core North Bankers? Jeepers.

It wasn’t particularly noisy on TV, I think Palace fans singing a couple of times but not much from the home fans , maybe the Rambo song after he scored.

Anyone sitting near the Clock End see a new section? Looked like there was a break about ten/fifteen rows back on TV, although could have been everyone sitting and then quite a few standing.

“taking butt selfies on the photocopier” 😀

Kelsey

In an attempt to answer your 7.21 question, it’s not just a Sunday thing, it is a winning thing. If we had lost, this as well as all the other big Arsenal blog site, would have been full.

When we win people don’t have anything to moan about and people love moaning.

As for the level of noise on Saturday: I thought by Arsenal standards the crowd were quite animated, a real sense of excitement.

There is a post in there somewhere: Why do you go to watch Arsenal?

I go to watch the intricacies of the football, the singing and shouting are a distant second. There are probably many others like me which goes some way to explain why the Emirates is thought of as a library.

I mean, do Palace fans go to games to watch the intricacies of the football errr no. All they have going for them is to drown out the tedium of the football by singing their hearts out.

That’s a good explanation LB

In fairness, I was right above the Palace lot, and they’re noisy.

Arsenal fans are a studious and analytical lot. 🙂

I also think we have rubbish songs. The moment Ollie started warming up, the volume shot up with “Giroooo”, which is an easy to remember ditty. Always though The Arsenal lacked a decent anthem to get everyone going.

W’ham have their bubbles, Pool whatever, even Spuds with that nauseating drone

right, car to garage

It would be a nice touch to get Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford to The Emirates and introduced to the fans.Mo even mentioned our win when being interviewed by the media after winning the 5000 km.

LB? Intricacies of football, surely first Arsenal win, then maybe the football and finally the craic.

But maybe to an extent this has always been the case, again the new stadium falls down a bit.

So when I first went to Highbury it was JGs, then when they put it in and we all went it would come it would be family enclosure, then progressed to North Bank, my Dad would have preferred a seat in the East or West stands to watch the football where as I was there for both.

All seater stadia have meant that all those fans who wanted to sit have spread out amongst ( let’s be honest) the few that want to sing and shout.

Red Action tried the singing section but to my mind it has become too pally in there. The thing that have the Notth Bank and Clock End there energy was standing next to different people each week.

Intricacies of football? lol

You wait until you read today’s post.

Yippee, car’s good for another year 🙂

An LB post…fantastic. Another day of little work

LB

Give us a clue, so we can warm up. Never play Aaron and Jack at the same time?

Two things missing badly from this site so far this season. Swingometer and Heat Maps. I miss them both badly. Really.

97. fatgingergooner says:

Now that Suarez has buggered off to Barca, why don’t we just steal the Depeche Mode ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’ song they use and have it for Sanchez?

His name is Sanchez, he wears the Arsenal Red
    I just can’t get enough, I just can’t get enough
    When he scores a volley, or he scores with his head
    I just cant get enough, I just can’t get enough
    He scores a goal and the fans go wild
    And I just can’t seem to get enough Sanchez
    Do-do-do-do-do-do-do
    Do-do-do-do-do-do-do
    Do-do-do-do-do-do-do
    Alexis Sanchez!

New Post

Ohh, I haven’t written that in a while.