England come home before Arsène

Morning Gooners,

Many countries are on their way home after falling at the first hurdle in the World cup, and seeing how I am an Englishman of course I am disappointed by England’s early exit. Personally I felt England’s Manager Roy Hodgson was very fortunate with the youngsters that have been produced, obviously I was wrong, after 3 games my countrymen only managed 1 point,and as we all know that equates to 2 losses and a draw.

Having said that, I still feel that England, Manager, and Players, have learned a lot from this World cup. Taking a young squad to a place like Brazil, with its high temperatures and humidity is quite different from what they experience here, that of course is not an excuse, many other countries also had the same problems, but in the learning cycle invaluable for the future.

I feel that this world cup has come slightly to early for the England team, as some players have just started to emerge. Hodgson wanted to blend experience with youth. The manager felt that the talent we had would be beneficial, young fit men with plenty of energy, many of our youngsters looked very confident, they looked around the players in the squad, and having watched many of them in the league they felt that they stood a very good chance.

Confidence is a fine thing, but inexperience normally has a habit of kicking yourself up the jacksie, and that in all honesty has been what has happened. Although England’s squad looks good for the future, they still need setbacks along the way, to make them aware of just what can happen, as a squad they will learn together, they will learn how to play together and how the manager wants them to play.

There are spaces that will now become available, as ageing seniors will probably fall by the wayside, and although these players have had long England career’s they have never had too many victory stories to pass on to the new recruits. For Arsenal supporters our own players who were in the squad never got to see to much action The Ox at his first world cup never managed to kick a ball in anger reminded me of Theo’s first World cup, but Jack did get to put his boots on.  Jack, I felt, didn’t let us down, he didn’t stand out, but he also didn’t do anything stupid. The Ox of course has watched England from the touchline, not being fit enough to play but he should have learned a thing or two and also had an expenses paid holiday, he should be well rested by the time the new season kicks off.

England have reminded me of our own club, inexperience has been our downfall for many years, and with new players coming in, they have needed a season to find their feet. England have had a short time together but I feel they have shown promise. Arsenal  have also shown promise claiming their first trophy for many seasons, but lack of faith has been a sticking point for us. Leading the league for so long last season gave them and us nosebleeds. We all hoped for a taste of success but we never really believed it would happen until it finally arrived.

Of course the FA cup will last a long while for the players but so will the high losing scores we had to deal with as well. Our Achilles heel is top teams in our own league, we will have to deal with this type of game in the future, if we want to taste the same kind of success.

I feel that Wenger would have had a good insight to who is available, and who may just fit into our club to strengthen us, Players leaving and openings to fill would be his priority when he arrives back from Brazil. I am sure he would have watched Joel Campbell and although he may not have scored many goals I am still sure that Wenger will call him up, whether Joel see’s himself in the Arsenal strip in the future is yet to be seen but for me if Bendtner leaves Joel wouldn’t be a bad replacement.

Of the many players on show in this world cup, I would like to think that Arsène has his eye out for a keeper, and also a good right back, with Santi looking at pastures new  and Vermaelen also rumoured to be going Wenger will have to work quickly. Arsenal as England have good futures, where Hodgson has bundles of talent and the best of English talent Arsène will have to spend and spend well. Arsenals foundation is now fairly sound, but the need of quality is abundantly clear. Arsène has said in the past, as long as you replace with better players we will always improve, I look forward to our new signings.

Written by Steve Palmer

71 Responses to England come home before Arsène

1. peter says:

great post steve.i enjoyed reading that.

2. Well Arsene has ruled out a move for Balotelli. Assuming Arsene is being truthful (he has ruled out buying players before, just before buying them), who does it leave as potential transfer targets?

Reus? Not a chance I think.
    Sanchez? There are rumours but I doubt Barca would sell… unless they bought Suarez. Will Liverpool seek to get rid of their poisoned chalice? I doubt that also – they have shown with their dealings with us they have no honour at all.
    Cavani? Possible, but is maybe too similar to Giroud. I don’t think there is any point buying someone to just take Olivier’s place. We need someone different who can play alongside him. Sanchez would be good… Draxler could have been good, but he too has ruled out moving this summer.

Vela is staying put. I hope to God we can do better than bargain basement hunting and buying the likes of Remy. A decent squad backup, sure, but not a star quality signing. Benteke? Lukuku? Mourinho would rather stab himself in the eye with an ice pick than sell us a player.

The cupboard is looking painfully thin.

Theo will be coming back, and we still have Podolski, but neither could replace Giroud if he got injured for a lengthy period of time. Our dalliance with Suarez last summer (when we still had Bendtner and Park, lol) shows Arsene is trying to buy someone.

What I’m afraid of is that he will see no value in the transfer market yet again, and hope we can manage until the summer of 2015.

Morning all.

Steve, I’ve not read your post yet but here are the answers to yesterday’s quiz.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: Boxing.

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward: Niagara Falls .. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside : Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with dw : Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar: Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with ‘S’: Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

4. @habbizzelle says:

We need a goalkeeper. I strongly suggest that Wenger looks into the Nigerian shot-stopper, Vincent Enyeama. He’s bee phenomenal for Lille FC of France, keeping 21 clean sheets last season and taking them almost single-handedly into next season’s UCL. He also took his club form to the World Cup for Nigeria, keeping 2 clean sheets in 2 games. Baring a defeat to Argentina tonight, what’s to say he can’t make that 3 clean sheets in 3 group games? Szczesny needs someone to challenge him and keep him on his toes, and I’m sure Enyeama will do just that and more. Afterall, Szc kept just 16 clean sheets last season. Enyeama is a player that can always keep his team in the game.

Thank you for taking the time to write a post Steve.

I always support England but my level of enthusiasm is never as high as when I watch Arsenal. I think the reason may well be that I find it tough to suddenly turn around my feelings towards players from other PL clubs.

Arsene is at the World Cup and that is the best place to evaluate players, he knows what he needs and must be keeping his eagle eye wide open. Lets hope it translates into some decisive action some mid- July.

6. etfaust says:

At this point, I just hope we start singing players by the middle of July. As you outlined so well, there are a lot of needs, so waiting until August wouldn’t be smart for a number of reasons. Once teams start seeing that you have no other options, they have the leverage. Wenger needs to be careful not to lost his right now.

7. arnie says:

Nice post, Steve. 🙂 🙂 All fair points, and quite a few as well. England, youth football, Arsenal, signings, all expertly assembled into one. With a tinge of sadness as well. 😦 And why not?

However, the strong derive strength from their disappointments. And so may it be. For England and for Arsenal.

In the mean time, the WC is turning out to be quite a spectacle. Let us enjoy it fully. 🙂

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

Well done Steve, you’ve summed it up nicely. I think Hodgson did the best he could with the recources available. A bolder manager may have ditched Gerrard and Lampard a bit earlier, but if he had the media would have crucified him. As it turned out neither of the two made any positve contribution, on the pitch, whatsoever.

I actually think the future is quite bright, we have a good basis of a squad, the majority of which is young, technically skilled and adventurous. Either Sturridge needs to step up a bit or we need to find another striker, we also need to see some improvement in the defence, Shaw and Gibbs will fight for the left back spot and Cahill will be a fixture for a while as one of the centre-backs, the other centre-back spot and right-back are up for grabs.

The FA need to “man up”, ignore the press, stick with Hodgson and stop kowtowing to Premiership managers when it comes to releasing players for friendlies and England “get-togethers”.

9. arnie says:

Steve. Good post.

I like that AW is out there as opposed to watching every game at home on his couch.

As to the AFC boys, being with the England set up must give them confidence even if it went badly.

As we are stiff with money I would prefer to sign a better striker than Campbell but knowing how careful AW is I doubt he will spend when he doesn’t have to – even if it is to improve the squad.

11. Aftotnoon all,

thanks for a considered and thoughtful summation of where things stand with the effects of the WC on Arsenal and the national team at the moment Steven.

I have to agree with Nicholas Stone when he suspects Wenger will not see any value in post World Cup purchases and I feel we will find ourselves with maybe Remy as a back up striker, Walcott/Diaby as our LANS and Bellerin promoted behind Jenks to fill the void left by Sagna.

Additionally Martinez maybe elevated to the first team squad as a Flappy replacement and Zelalem may get more game time with Santi’s possible departure.

I also fear ManUre will up their offer for Vermaelen near the end of the transfer window thus leaving us without any time to find a replacement 3rd choice centre back/left-back.

I hope to Dennis I’m wrong about all of this but I don’t trust our club not to bugger up this transfer window like they have done to so many in the past.

Chary. Any positives on the horizon apart from a healthy balance sheet? 🙂

13. The Balance Sheet is the only positive I need 🙂 Radders.

We’re in the money……ker-cccchhhhiiiinnngggg !!!

14. njstone9 says:

@ Chary

My point was more that I think Wenger, if he likes a player, is quite content to wait for him.

Draxler said Arsenal made an offer for him in January (we did indeed try to strengthen) but that he will stay at Schalke for one more season.

So I can see Wenger waiting till next summer before going for Draxler. Maybe he will see Remy as a stopgap. Or he will buy a fairly unheard of player like Giroud was.

The problem is that Arsenal are flush with cash and fans want the club, not necessarily to spend tonnes of money, but to buy established, quality players. Remy and/or another unknown French or Hungarian teenager, isn’t going to placate fans, particularly if we have to watch the likes of Chelsea, City, and God forbid, United or Pool, buying up all the top talent while we wait, patiently in the background like some female lionness, for the alpha males to finish their meal.

Arsenal are supposed to be one of the Alpha male clubs now. We should start acting like one.

15. I see Nicholas/njstone9 and I heartily agree with your point about our re-activeness in the transfer market; I know it’s only late June but we have previous for botching up transfer windows and you know what they say about spots and leopards.

16. LBG says:

Disagree with several of bloggers today, I believe Remy and/or Bony would be good quality, Premiership proven, goalscorers to add to OG. The return in August of a fit Ox followed by Walcott, together with hopefully Marshall, Aurier and Sneiderlin would result in a much strengthened squad. Ozil will be one of the players of the new season. Draxler is not currently worth £35m and if he turns out to be, we could return for him in 2015.
    My glass is always half full!

Steve

I tend to side with Chary about a leopard never changing his spots but there is no doubt we have more money to spend than in the last few years.
    Some will argue the point that players/agents will delay options until we hopefully qualify for the CL proper.
    Giroud has grown in my estimation and though I think Sanogo should be loaned out,AW wasn’t scared to throw him into the deep end.
    If Ramsey maintains his form of last year and Walcott makes a full recovery together with the OX we are pretty well covered in attack but doubts still reman if Podolski is going to feature in our long term plans.
    We certainly need a RB and cover for Arteta/Flamini, a more imposing player but as always injuries are our nemesis.Santi leaving,not so sure,if he does he needs replacing.
    Campbell is the interesting one as he only 2 years of a 5 year contract left and knowing AW may cash in on him.Vela will net us another 11 million and others are off the wage bill and with the new TV and Puma deals we should be able to improve the squad with at least two quality players.

Steve
    Thank you. Very nice read.
    I think England’s quiet exit via the back door has been really helped by being joined by Spain and Italy. Kind of cushions the blow.
    I can’t really see that England have achieved anything or learnt anything, but it would have been useful for one or two of the younger players.

Mr Stone
    Afraid I nearly fell off my chair when I read this: “Cavani? Possible, but is maybe too similar to Giroud. I don’t think there is any point buying someone to just take Olivier’s place.”
    We’ll have a serious chat later 🙂

Chary and Kelsey
    Doooooooooom.
    We’re talking about Arsene Wenger here. The very same who spent £42m one short year ago. A man probably heading into his last years at the club. A man awash with loot. A man keen to land ‘Ol Big Ears. Do you really think he’ll achieve that by promoting Bellerin, Martinez, flogging Verm and getting in Remy alone.
    You are mad.

Nicholas Stone

Last night I said I’d done U-turn and didn’t want Balotelli anymore, then you state “Well Arsene has ruled out a move for Balotelli”

He’s watching us 🙂

cough cavani cough

How long is a short year Micky.:)

I agreed in part with Chary but still said I hoped for 2 quality signings.

You guys will twist yourselves up in knots adding your own speculation to previous media speculation that was designed to get more hits/sales.

Thanks, Steve.
    Nice short summer for Jack, The Ox and Santi. What’s not to like?
    The Frenchies and Jarmans might take a little more patience to winkle out of their World Cup shells.

Balotelli did look poor yesterday and a bit of a liability, too. Maybe Arsene had a word so his price can be knocked down a touch.

As for summer transfers, we all know it’s going to be supermarket sweep on August 31st, so why kid yourself otherwise. That’s my contribution to negative Wednesday in the comments anyway. 🙂

23. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Fishing all day just got in, sorry i wasn’t able to answer some of you, but thank you all for your comments.

I understand how some of you believe that a Leopard wont change his spots. Wenger in my mind has no choice but to recruit, i believe our reserves are just that reserves, I honestly do not see many if any breaking through to the first team.

Operation Youth, has not been too successful in my eyes, probably good for the taxman but we need quality and we are only going to get it by buying.

Players in our squad over the years, started looking at their futures, they couldn’t see a trophy coming and they also wasn’t seeing top quality coming in, so they worked themselves out. Many found clubs who spend and won trophies.

Arsene no knows that if he doesn’t find players quality players then others will start getting itchy feet. Arsene has to spend.

24. fatgingergooner says:

Arsene knows we need signings, but at the same time we aren’t going to get 5 or 6 players in at once. I reckon he will prioritise a sub GK, RB and ST.

The only way I can see us adding a CB or LW is if someone leaves. We have a good squad now with everybody fit, so I don’t see us making huge changes. I also believe we need to get a DM type, but with Diaby back and Zelalem coming into the squad, I think Wenger will feel we have enough midfield bodies to cover most scenarios.

Interesting thoughts on our new spending power and what we should do with it.

I look back a few years and see how close we came in a couple of seasons, but unfortunately because of lack of resources were unable to retain two of our best players (Cesc and Nasri), then RvP decided enough was enough and left too. What’s my point? Well the best thing about our new found financial strength is we don’t have many sniffing around our first team players. Is that because they’re not good enough? Or is it because they have all been signed up to good contracts?

26. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Fatgingergooner,, Agree with you on the midfielders we have them coming out of our you know where. LB and Keeper is a must, and if Campbell is drafted in i still feel we need a winger

27. njstone9 says:

@ Micky

You nearly fell off your chair? What did I say that was so offensive?

Cavani is quality, serious quality. I’d definitely take him as replacement and upgrade on Giroud.

However…

He’s 27, so maybe we’d get 3-4 good years out of him before he started to decline. Does he have an upside? I think Wenger prefers to buy players who can still develop. Like Ozil.

But my main point is: would he be the *best-fitting* partner for Giroud? Can we go to 4-4-2 for example? If we’re going to spend upwards of 50m, it really has to be the most efficient use of that money.

Personally I think that Cavani would be much better than Balotelli or Mandzukic, and possibly Benzema as well.

But Reus or Sanchez or di Maria or Draxler (for 20m max, not the inflated sums being currently bandied about) would be more effective additions to the squad. We need pace on the left: an alternative to Walcott for when he’s misfiring or being man-marked or just injured again.

Draxler is the most obvious Wenger signing: up and coming but not yet established star, a bit like Nasri was. A player it’s no secret Wenger covets. Currently at a middling club.

However Draxler isn’t going anywhere till next summer. For all his friendly noises about Arsenal, it seems he doesn’t really want to join us or the move would be happening. Benzema has apparently indicated he wishes to stay at Real.

The other players are all star names and being realistic, they’re only going to come to Arsenal if they’re being frozen out of or unappreciated at their current team. Reus possibly we couldn’t afford.

The French winger Griezmann looks the most likely signing out of all those. And I’d be quite happy with that.

Maybe we can get in a replacement for Diaby and spend our dish there.

28. njstone9 says:

Not dish. Dosh. Thanks autocorrect.

njstone9

Well argued, and I completely take your point about prioritizing financial resources, and the fact that the left side of the attack needs addressing.

On Cavani.

I don’t think he’s in any way a similar type of player to Ollie. He’s faster, way more skilfull and has a much better shot. He also has a deadly free kick. To me, he’s a taller Ian Wright and is a serious opportunist in front of goal.

Thing is, he was outstanding playing central for Napoli. Then the £50m move to PSG. He plays left to accommodate Ibra, and apparently doesn’t like it. Then, for Uruguay, same thing to accommodate Suarez.

So, I’d never want him at Arsenal to play left, and yes I’d play him ahead of Ollie. We’d score more goals, get the best out of Mesut and be more entertaining to watch.

Hey Chas,

Have to agree with your “negative Wednesday” comment.

Raddy: “knowing how careful AW is I doubt he will spend when he doesn’t have to – even if it is to improve the squad”

Chary: “Wenger will not see any value in post World Cup purchases”

Kelsey: “I tend to side with Chary about a leopard never changing his spots”

Apparently these three upbeat fellows are having a Transfer Doom Party tonight. Are you going? They say it’s going to be a barrel of laughs. I can’t make it as I’m watching Eastenders, Coronation City, Brookside and Holby Central, but I really am sure you’ll have a laugh and a great fun filled evening. 🙂

Maybe it’s all about expectations as with life.

Those with high expectations, like yourself, love the cut and thrust of the summer transfer window. Who we might get and what combinations of dream players could arise, fill your thoughts, though deep down you realise it’s mostly fantasy.

Some approach from the other end of the speculum and are convinced it’ll be a disaster before it’s even begun. No-one will come in apart from Diaby for 2 games and some ageing ManU reject.

All I know is, is that next season I’ll be going to see the players that we manage to keep and the ones we manage to sign. There’s feck all I can do to influence who those players might be, so why get my knockers in a knot about it. This is true realism.
    As I’ve said before, this sort of attitude does not make for stimulating blogging, so wild expectations and deep misery are both fine by me. 🙂

Ahhh, reality……urgh

So you’ll be going to the party then 🙂

33. @ Micky

(I really need to make sure I sign in as the same person! On the browser it’s facebook and on my phone it’s wordpress!)

Do you think Cavani can play alongside Giroud? If not, then how much are we going to increase our goal tally by?

Giroud was worth, what, 17 league goals or something like that. Let’s say Cavani gets 25 league goals. Total increase is only 7 goals for £50m transfer fee and top wages.

If they can play alongside each other, and between them and Walcott a total of 60 league goals are scored, then I think we can really win the league.

Otherwise logically we sell Giroud and play Cavani up front in his stead. But I think whoever has to come in has to enable Arsenal to play with different formations to add variety to the attack.

I don’t think Wenger will buy a Cavani type player. I reckon he will still look to buy a left winger to compete with Podolski, and possibly a DM to replace Diaby.

The trouble is at the moment, all the top players are already at more attractive clubs than us. It sounds a bit treasonous to say it, but unlike the Invincibles, we’re not really a title challenging club. I can see the likes of Cavani going to Chelsea or City, and very possibly Man U (purely based on their recent, though not current pedigree and prestige).

Money is also still a consideration. We are paying Ozil, I don’t know, £150,000 a week? Isn’t Rooney on £300,000 or something insane like that? Fabregas is on nearly £200,000 at Chelsea. I just can’t see us offering those kinds of wages. Very good wages, sure, but players take that kind of thing into account way too much. It annoys me, when they’re already millionaires, but there we go.

We need to find a potentially great player at a lesser club and poach him, then become champions, then signings of the likes of Cavani will be more likely and regular.

Last season we were quite close and really if Walcott and Ramsey had remained fit I am confident we would have been in with a chance right up to the last day of the season. Surely one or two more wins or a draw here and there would have been achieved. Certainly more goals would have been scored.

I’m still confident we will see some quality signings this summer. We can outbid the likes of Liverpool for Sanchez if Real do attempt to liberate Suarez. And I think Ramsey + Ozil in midfield is a pretty tempting combination for an incoming forward. Better than anything Man U or Liverpool have got. I can’t see City or Chelsea adding more forward players at this point.

Come on Arsene. Make it happen.

Ok, I admit it, Cavani is a total dream even by own ludicrously optimistic standards, but to answer your question, it’s not so much how many extra goals but that a Cavani could score against the very best defences.

Would AW buy a Cavani type? Mmm, I tend to think he’ll stick with Ollie as first choice.

However, if it’s true that AW really wanted a Suarez last season and we weren’t simply taking the piss out of Pool, then where did he plan to play him, as I don’t think he’d play two up front, unless he has some weird plan to play a 3-5-2.

Trouble is, Arsene does have a habit of playing footballers out of position, so who knows.

I also agree that we would have been really close had it not been for injuries to Theo and Aaron, so it really is a question of adding just one or two quality performers to inch us towards the very top.

Last day of Group Games, then knock-out from Saturday 🙂

For my chart, I need Germany and USA going through, and some miracle from Korea to join Belgium.

NS

Left Wing/Left Side really is our “position of death” and has been for ages.

Blimey, we’ve seen Chamakh, Bendtner, Podolski, Mesut, Santi, Rambo and even Jack out there. Not one of whom is a natural.

Morning

Micky,

selective reading as far as I can see.;)

Let’s see who is right.

My money is on Remy if we even buy an attacker.Wenger will buy but never 6 players as some have suggested loooking around the blogs.

No one commented on the position with Joel Campbell.

I think it was a major surprise that we forked out so much by our standards for Ozil,but he is class, yet Kallstrom was to say the least a surprise loan signing given the circumstances.

Oh Crystals

“if we even buy an attacker”

That’s an out and out doom comment as far as I’m concerned 🙂

Actually, as the only out and out transfer fantasist on the site, I hereby quit any further speculation. No more, I promise. Goodness knows what I’m going to do Arsenalwise with my summer : roll :

Mickey,

Will you stop it with that so realistic eye roll smiley face.
    It is so …… yellow – and those black dot eyes — too much, too much.

And Cavani looked extremely ……. average, in the games I have seen so far.

A £10m buy if ever I saw one.

Cheers Steve

Dont really care who we sign this summer. I can never tell who is going to be good or not so just leave it to the club.

I think the titles ours who ever we get. We have a great squad with bags of potential.

A combination of Wilshere/Ramsey/Ox/Ozil, with another geezer up front will shoot us to the title.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Cavani is a fine player but I agree that he is not what we need. We need pace on both flanks, not another big man up front.

The right is covered with Theo and the continued development of Gnabry. The left is another matter – “position of death” 🙂

Shame Ryo is made of glass

I will not be provoked 🙂

Otherwise, I’d have to respond about Cavani and say things like he’s worth about £30m, is not a typical big one, and is miles better than Ollie.

So, I won’t say anything.

45. arnie says:

Motning all.

Chas. Brilliant article and video. 🙂 Moving away from the Suarez issue for the moment.

It helps to sometimes read and hear what the external world thinks about our press and the moral high ground, albeit shaky, that we try to take. Much the same way as we are interested in happenings everywhere else in the world and judging these through the skewed vision of our faulty tints. 🙂 🙂 🙂

46. arnie says:

On transfers, it has got a bit pear shaped.

No, I am staying away for the moment. I have not been invited to the Raddy-Kelsey party and neither to the Micky funfare. 😛

I will just say that I hope Arsene does not agree to paying for a player a single pence more than what his true valuation is. Even if we have money in the bag/ bank.

There has to be some order within the absurd non-market that the transfer business is. There has to be a place for principles. Whatever the cost, there is value to being different. There is a certain satisfaction to being deferent as well.

I started supporting Arsenal because of its values, and I would like to see the club continue this way. Onwards and upwards. 🙂 🙂 🙂

arnie

I doubt Rooney passed his 11+. The real problems are AGENTS.They inflate the price by adding a few fibs in and quite honestly do they have their own or the player’s interests at heart.

48. arnie says:

The World Cup may be a place to play the fantasy game, whether on the wall chart or in transfer speculation. What it is not is a place to find a good value for money. However it is a good place to watch all players of the world on a world stage competing with the best. Hence, ex post when we know who Arsenal is going to bring in, we can judge somewhat how good the signing is.

There are other places to find value. Inspired by GN5’s fantastic post on the 1930 World Cup, I had gone way to research the Olympics. Very soon I realised there was fascinating material here for posting. But what started as a single-post project has now turned into a 3-post series. Oh dear! 🙂 😦

It is all composed in my head now, but I have not put pen on paper. Soon, some day soon. Hopefully. 😛

Arnie

That’s an interesting comment at 9:22

I do struggle with your view though given that even “true” market valuations are utterly obscene and we’re happy to play that game, so I find it hard to understand how Arsenal take any moral high ground. £42M on a player and how much on wages to Arsene, Mesut et al.

I know maybe three or four clubs in England pay more, but in the greater scheme of things, the moral margins are tight.

50. arnie says:

Agreed, Kelsey. 🙂

Micky. 🙂 There will of course be some error in valuation, sometimes a little bit high, sometimes low. That is acceptable. I would give the benefit of the doubt and say the valuation for Mesut and Arsene is about right.

Only 3 or 4 clubs? I would say 8 or 9, if you include the likes of those that come from green slimy swamps down in N17. That makes it about 15-20 clubs in Europe then. Then, there must be around 5 elsewhere in the world. Make it 20-25.

OK, that is substantial mass to call it the mainstream. So be it. Does it mean everyone else has to be a follower. No. An emphatic NO. 🙂

Just sorting the post ………………

52. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Reading some of your comments always leaves me in stitches, good supporters with a sense of humour, GN5 dodgy quiz and Arnie’s love for the right way of doing things.

I always try and see both sides of the story, but at the moment i feel we have to spend money and if we are paying over the odds, if that is the only way to get the players we need we have to match the money spenders.

Arsenal supporters deserve top quality players, we also deserve trophy’s. Arsenal are flush through supporters money, Sponsors sponsor because they want to sell products to who else but the supporter.

Yes we have a wonderful stadium and we have had to sustain a long drought of top 4s instead of winning the big cups. Time changes everything footballs corrupt we all know that so you have to invest in quality. If the club do things the right way as Arnie suggests, then the only way for us to beat the fixing, is by having the players that can change games. Corruption works to a certain degree but if you score enough goals, quality goals, corruption cannot deal with that.

I believe we have a sound squad , an FA cup in the bank must have steadied the ship, but we have to press home now and we have to keep striving for more glory i have the hunger and i want more.

53. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂

54. arnie says:

I like the fact that there are some level headed people on here, and some on the loony extreme, so I can safely continue to be at my barmy best. 😛

55. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Arn 🙂

56. arnie says:

Some relatively light “motning” stuff. 😛

57. stevepalmer1 says:

Arnie, that has moved me, straight to the loo

58. arnie says:

Such trash is what motnings should be about. 🙂

59. stevepalmer1 says:

Kop legends calling for Suarez to b e kicked out of Liverpool. Don’t they realise that Suarez is Liverpool, without him they would be where they have been for years in the doldrums.

60. stevepalmer1 says:

I wonder whether Brenda would take our offer now. Even with his history i would still take the cannibal

Steve

Just for fun, we should put in a very public offer of £39,999,999 and 50p 🙂

10.07. Could never sit like that. I would need a couple of new knees.

The music was better than some we have endured.

L’pool will never willingly sell Suarez. He fits into their victim psyche.

That’s the last straw Raddy

I demand you now “Do a Boris” and get on a train to Liverpool immediately and deliver a full and heartfelt apology to the ghastly people of that dreadful City.

64. stevepalmer1 says:

Suarez for me is the ultimate striker, I would feed him steaks before a game rather than see him starve. Feed him with Ozil through balls as many as he could handle and instead of biting he would be to busy celebrating to think of anything else. and so would we. Great offer Micky 🙂

65. arnie says:

What do they smoke down there in Kopland? 😉

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Rolled up Italians

67. arnie says:

🙂

68. We have a New Post …………………..

69. stevepalmer1 says:

They only sell them in tens, just as well as Liverpool will get used to that