Time to Man Up

If there is a team we do not want to play after a 120+ minute bruising game at Wembley it is any side managed by Allardyce. If there is one player we do not want to see it is Andy Carroll. Sometimes the  football Gods kick us in the goolies.

Can our battered and injury strewn team gain a vital victory in their quest towards another season of the Champions League? We shall find out tonight.

Unknown

Allardyce has stated that WHU are not safe yet which is true but I would be hugely surprised if they are relegated – there are some awful teams in the drop-zone and WHU  are not one of them. West Ham, as any Fat Sam team is, are well organised, battle for 90+ minutes and play dull, dull, football which sadly gets enough results to avoid Sam getting gardening leave. This season we have seen managers with attacking instincts being replaced by those with a more pragmatic view, perhaps clubs look at the survival expertise of Allardyce and think “sod pretty football, keep us in the PL” – an understandable viewpoint.

What do you think Sam will be telling his players to do tonight?  Do you think he will be saying, “let’s retain possession and pass it through their midfield”? Nope – IMO he will be saying “8 men behind the ball, look for the wingers and then lump it into the middle for the Big Man,” “if one of their Fancy Dans gets past you kick him hard”, and “look to get set pieces as often as possible”. Arsenal have to fight and stand up to the physical battle.

Would you like to see Andy Carroll at Arsenal? No, really – joking aside when fit he is a major handful, a proper old fashioned centre forward. If (huge IF) we had a player able to feed off knock downs he could do a job for us. Surely a better sub than Sanogo but a far more expensive one. Mr Wenger has identified stopping crosses into Carroll as being vital “Yes [we must take special care with him] because once the ball is up there, you do not find many people who can compete with him and win the challenge” – which means BFG is in for a tough night.

As to our team, I would like to see our Scandi Supersub get a start. He looks as though he can handle himself and deserves a reward for his excellent weekend penalty. Given that Flamina is still suspended and Arteta is knacked Kallstrom appears to be an inspired signing !

Unknown-1

SuperSub

Or could we see Vermaelen given the DM berth many have proposed for him? To play a back line of Sagna, BFG,  Kos, TV and Gibbs would allow Gibbs to act sit a little further forward. TV could help nullify the threat of Carroll and it gives us a chance to play 3 at the back. What do you think?

Upfront, we have to start with Giroud. We remain a blunt instrument but he is our sharpest blade. Sanogo or Podolski? Given the need to stop the supply of crosses, Podolski. But and this is a huge BUT, there is a chance that Ozil will return which would be brilliant for both us and OG.

Playing Fat Sam teams is never easy especially given the negative physical effect of an injury blighted season and the draining weekend but 3 points are very, very important.

written by Big Raddy

This is arnie’s suggested line up

001wh

172 Responses to Time to Man Up

1. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning and thank you Big Raddy for the pre-match.

Isn’t Flamini available? I thought Wenger said he was. Carroll in the Arsenal line-up? No I don’t think so, but Giroud could learn a bit from him, how to scare the s**t out of defenders for one thing, Per is in for a torrid ninety plus minutes tonight.

I see you make no mention of a ‘keeper, BR, should we go with TPIG1 or TPIG2? Fabianski has done well in the few starts he’s had and played a big part in the Semi-Final win, while Szczesny has picked the ball out of the net too many times recently, could his confidence be a bit low? TPIG2 for my money.

I agree about Kallstrom, if only for his freshness as most of the squad must be knackered. Give him a start, at least the opposition won’t know anything much about him.

Is it a must win game? Of course it is!!!

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

First!!!

Ha HA, youv’e got tro get up early to beat me Big Al

Cheers, BR.
    I like the idea of playing Tommy in a 3 at the back with Gibbo and Bacs as wing backs.

Flamini suspension from FA website
    Arsenal FC MATHIEU FLAMINI 06/04/2014 15/04/2014 Suspended from all first team football until the Club have completed 2 first team matches for 5/10/15 cautions.

2 games and we’ve only played Wigan since Flam’s booking at Everton. So tonight is the second game of the ban.

I don’t want to jinx the poor f*cker, but Diaby was in the training photos yesterday.

Fat Sam was responsible for one of my favourite moments of this season. 🙂

Worth a listen if you have 10 minutes spare (and you don’t think Alan Davies is a pillock).

Let’s hope he looks more like this tonight……

6. Motning all, thanks for the pre match Big Randy and I too think our own KK (not Downing \m/ ) is certainly worth a run out as Walrus Face won’t have much to go on when it comes to planning how to nobble him.

While the game was knackering for the team, and the fans like me Exile, Ant & Deck who were there, I don’t think Wigan were especially physical so I don’t think we should be too bruised.

As ever an early goal will settle the nerves and if the crowd, which by the look of the number of tickets still available won’t be capacity,is up for this we should get the 3 points in this m*** w** g***.

Morning, Essex Whirlpool.
    Are you going tonight?

As far as fixture scheduling goes, we’re only playing tonight because we beat Everton in the QFs and got to the Semis, so we can’t really complain. 🙂

9. arnie says:

back to the UK, finally. only to see Stansted glowing in glorious sunshine. only 6 more to go. bring on some sunshine, I say! 🙂

lovely work as ever, Raddy. 🙂 must win match? yes, almost, but not quite. Kallstrom sounds like a good bet. I dont dislike the sound of Sanogo either. Diaby in training? ha ha ha ha ha. surely Chas, that must be a April 1 coming half a month late. 🙂

somehow I am very nervous. very very nervous. but quietly confident we will nick it. it wont be pretty, though. 1-0 to the Arsenal?

a ManUre supporter (actually RedNose supporter, plenty of them in Scotland) said he has a feeling Moist might do us a favour against Everton. 😛

10. arnie says:

on second thoughts, Diaby in training, that must be our midfield enforcer! 😛 oh dear, have to duck away from brickbats now. 😛

Thanks Raddy, let’s face it, they’re all MWG’s from now on 😕

I agree, I’d like to see Kallstrom make a start but don’t agree about Giroud – I’d rather see Sanogo. Giroud’s lack of pace is fine when we have our first choice midfield, but tonight the MF will be cobbled together and we need someone pacey to pin wham back in their own half.

Not only do we have to win, but we need to score as many goals as possible to make up for the ridiculous capitulation in other games that have given Everton an extra point over us in the chase for 4th.

12. Motning Chas, I’d like to go tonight but sadly I couldn’t get another evening pass so soon after Saturday.

I’ve only got 2 more chances to go after tonight and I’m hoping something shows up for the West Brom game on ticket exchange.

13. arnie says:

should have said “a ManUre supporter mate of mine”. 🙂

From yesterday….

chary,
    JC’s ticket to you £25? (mate’s rates)

16. I’ve just spoken to the old ball ‘n chain and it’s a yes. Meet in the Kings head by 7pm ?

17. arnie says:

Raddy: I notice you do not have a team sheet prediction graphic up. Why? It is actually such great fun! 🙂

Hi arnie, I can add the team graphic if you’d like to come up with a line up 🙂

Nice one.
    Rasp
    Could you send me Chary’s email so we can exchange phone numbers, please?

Chary
    There was some talk about going to a different pub, so I’ll let you know later, if that’s ok. (maybe The Gunners, not sure yet)
    If all else fails, we go in at entrance J, so I can always meet you there.

20. Actually Chas, Exile has my mobile number so you can get it off him.

That’s fine, just let me know when/where and the failsafe will be gate J.

OK, I’ll text Exile.

I’ve emailed it to you chas

23. arnie says:

Raddy: just something rough and ready, IMO as good a guess as any other.

Szcz
    Sagna Mert Kos Gibbs
    Kallstrom Ramsey
    Ox Santi Poldi
    Sanogo

I think a team graphic gives non-regulars a better chance to engage with the site. 🙂

24. arnie says:

you can put Giroud in place of Sanogo if you like. This is in line with your pre-match.

25. arnie says:

off to catch a flight, back laters. 🙂

Your line up is at the bottom of the post arnie

Thanks Rasp.

28. RC78 says:

Morning all – am back from London 🙂

I would like to see Wenger play a solid team today:

Szecesny – Sagna, Per, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Arteta (although he sucks), Kallstrom – OX, Giroud, Santi

I think we need a squad that can resist to the “long ball approach” of WHU and a squad that will not be bullied at home. We need that grit and Giroud will be able to provide that on both end of the pitch so for me, he is an absolute starter. Arteta is having a rough season but I think that he is our best DM when Flamini is out injured or suspended. Ox is an absolute starter for every game so he is in the line up too. Kallstrom is a solid player and he is defensively sound and also he brings in an expert foot when it comes to set-pieces and out-of-box shooting so I would play him as well. The rest is classic.

We are in very interesting position at the moment, we need to win all of our games and hope that Everton drops points but I really think that we will not win all our games (at least one draw) and that Everton will not drop more than 3 points so in the end, we might miss on CL footie by one point, which would be disastrous…

The BBC not knowing our Hull and West Brom games have been switched to Sundays is bad enough, but thinking 11th May is a Saturday. Utter rubbish.

Arsenal’s 2013-14 run-in

Tuesday, 15 April: v West Ham (H)
    Saturday, 19 April: v Hull (A)
    Monday, 28 April: v Newcastle (H)
    Saturday, 3 May: v West Brom (H)
    Saturday 11 May: v Norwich (A)

30. “Arsenal have to fight and stand up to the physical battle”.
    Easier said than done, Big Raddy.

“Or could we see Vermaelen given the DM berth many have proposed for him? …What do you think?”
    I think you’re daft as a brush. He’s never done it before, even though he’s had many, many opportunities to do so. So, with how many games left, 4th place at stake, you think it could happen?
    There’s more chance of Norfolk Gooner beating me to 1st place!

“Upfront, we have to start with Giroud.”
    And you’ve put Sanogo in his place in the lineup 🙂

Hi Big Al,

If you look at the wording above the line up you will see that it is courtesy of arnie.

Raddy didn’t publish a line up, arnie said he’d like to see one, so I asked him to let us have his version.

32. evonne says:

Good prematch, thank you Raddy! I share your sentiments, ie dislike for Fat Sam and cautious/nervous view of his teams. I remember times when WHU were our unlucky team, we would lose points playing them, for no reason at all. They redeemed themselves since then by beating potatoes stuffed with lasagne and I sort of like them now. That is not to say that I hope our lads will trash them of course.

To move our Hull game without prior notice is shameful. What about the fans who have bought plane tickets or hotel rooms and have only a few days to cancel or change – if they can.

34. arnie says:

Yes, I like the shape of that. Play Sanogo up front. Bring Giroud as an impact sub for Poldi if nothing happens until 70 min. Surprise Big Sam. He would not know how to deal with sanogo.

But my guess is Arsene will go for Giroud to start, perhaps Sanogo on as an impact sub. No problems with that, except it is too predictable. 🙂

Come on, Big Al, cheer up man!

35. arnie says:

Thanks, Rasp. Confusing Rasp and Raddy. That’s what hapepns when you go to sleep at 1PM and have to wake up at 3. 😦 Apols.

36. arnie says:

where is everyone? behind their sofas? 😛

37. Vinay says:

I think this is the game we can play 4-4-2, play both poldi and Giroud upfront. Westham will have a minimum of 9 players behind the ball and one target man piece of shit called carroll upfront.

In order to break this team, we either need pace which we do not have right now or guile which again seems to be a rarity considering santi had a full 120 min, ramsey looked knackered and rozza has his fitness concerns as ever. So the only option is crosses from the wings from Gibbs and Sagna and hope either giroud or poldi score of them.

The walrus will grumble and get great pleasure to hurt us, so expect the likes of noble and diame to literally stand on our midfielders, tough game but a must win to say the least.

38. RC78 says:

Hey there, I actually think that we need to stick to our 4-3-3 for this game as WHU will try to outmuscle us in the middle of the park. The critical keys to the game are the following according to me:

– Our capacity to play with a good level of intensity throughout the game;
    – Our capacity to stretch their team and to mix things up. I think that if our wings (Sagna-Ox and Gibbs-Santi) perform well, we have a really good change. I also think that we should mix things up and throw in some long balls to Giroud as well.
    – Our capacity to cope with WHU’s physicality in the middle of the park and upfront. We really need a strong midfield with three solid players there and also we need a focused BFG as he will have to cope with WHU AC…
    – Be effective offensively and defensively on set-pieces. We are not creating many chances at the moment so it is important to convert some of our set-pieces. Similarly, we need to defend well on set-pieces.

I suppose I stated the obvious but anyways, my main point was that we need to start the game with a 4-3-3 to make sure that we are not outmuscled in the middle of the park. I suspect WHU to play in a 4-5-1.

39. Bayonne Jean says:

Today’s fixture vs. FatSam the Hutt is likely to be the most daunting of the run-in, mainly due to the injuries and quick turnaround from Saturday. But feel that the home side will prevail, and more comfortably than expected.

The rest of the fixtures?
    Hull: interesting, as Mrs. Doubtfire’s two main offensive threats (Jelavic and Long) are cup-tied for the final, so expect a totally different approach, as they’re at home and will be more offense minded. But defensively they’re dire and can be picked off on the counter if they try to go for it. Plus they’re pretty safe from relegation, so should be totally focused on Wembley.
    Toon: have been on vacation since they sold Cabaye, and are playing like relegation fodder. At home, if ever a fixture cried out for a cricket score, this is it. And it’s needed.
    Baggies: at home, this should be a win, though WBA could still be in the relegation dogfight. They need a win at home vs. West Ham before they play Arsenal, as their other match before the Emirates will be at City.
    Norwich: the other question mark; they could already be relegated after having faced Liverpool, Manure, and Chelsea. But if not, this will be a screamer.

Not sure I agree with slinging crosses into WHU’s box. They are well used to this tactic and defend well.

I think we need Santi to be on top form and start making his slide rule passes again especially if TR and AR play

41. arnie says:

Nice points, Vinay, RC78 and Bayonne Jean. 🙂 Yes, tonight’s game is crucial. We need to break Big Sam’s parked bus down, at teh same time as defend well against set-pieces and high balls. I hope your crystal balls are correct, Bayonne Jean.

I also agree that we should try and play more crosses today. We are pretty poor in free kicks, I do not know why, if we could change that, perhaps Poldi unleashing thunder, it will be nice. Will Sagna be more keen to play back passes? A big question.

42. arnie says:

OK, there we disagree Raddy. My point was the same as Vinay, that we seem to lack a bit of craetivity through the middle. Maybe Ramsey, in combination with Santi, will change all that. We have to see!

43. It`s all right for you lot, but I have been out delivering today !. Started in Newquay !.

44. Then on to St Agnes !.

45. Then over to Porthleven but GoonerZilla had ate all the beech babes on his last visit !

46. Finished in St Ives, I hate my job, but someone has to deliver the Award Winning pies !.

47. arnie says:

Cockie: sounds like a pretty fine job to me! 😛

48. It`s murder, arnie !. I know e va va vonne and transplant are affected by conditions troubling their eye sight, but, It`s not fair that these scantily clad females are trying to make me go blind !. I don’t ask them to frolic in front of my van !….honestly , they are so selfish !.

49. arnie says:

Lovely summer day, Cockie. Enjoy while it lasts. I just cant bloody believe it is 17 degrees in Edinburgh! 🙂

50. [BBC – Last updated at 11:59 GM]T

Arsenal trio Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny and Wojciech Szczesny may be back in the starting line-up following the FA Cup semi-final win over Wigan.

But Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (groin), Nacho Monreal (dead leg) and Lukas Podolski (leg) are doubts.

Apologies to Big Raddy and Arnie (cheers Rasp) for not noticing the shared post.

No problem Big Al,

We really are struggling to find offensive players who are able to stand up for 90 mins

52. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Big Sam would like nothing better than to be smiling after this game, He would be delighted to talk to anybody and everybody. He knows we have a depleted squad, and he must feel that now is the right time to play us.

Big Sam knows how whacked our players are, a tough long game at the weekend would have him rubbing his hands. I don’t believe that him or Wenger get on that wel,l so both managers will want to win this.

Can Arsene get the boys up for this game, he knows that Champions league football is a must, as he knows he needs replacements, and still it looks that not much will be filtering down from the owner, so this as you said is a very important game.

53. Surely it`s only a matter of time before he now scores !.

54. Apparently this is confirmed (website confirmed that is) :

Szczęsny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen; Mikel Arteta, Rosický; Källström, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud

Substitutes: Fabiański, Bellerín, Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Sanogo, Akpom

55. That’s better than many of us could have hoped for, I think.
    Not bad at all…

Quick evening, and thanks Raddy.

Nein, never, Andy Carroll. Only speedsters may apply.

I doubt, sadly, that Ox will start as no-one put in more than he against Hull.

Quick nibble then back. Baggsie the armchair, I’m a bit broken.

57. TwentyTwelve says:

Thanks, Big Al. Interesting line-up. I assume Vermaelen will not bomb forward much. Will Arteta have the legs for another 90+, and might we see good things from Kallstrom tonight?

Wishing the team much luck. Am really nervous the rest of the season: worried about injured players coming back too early, afraid of players being overused, wonder about mental strength, tired of abusive fans, etc. Never a dull moment being an Arsenal supporter.

Hope to chat about a happy result with everyone later.

Ok, so my last comment was a corker.
    First up, it wasn’t Raddy’s team, and second, Big Al had already posted the actual.

I’m surprised Arteta starts as well. Otherwise, looks good.

Could Aaron have started alongside Maelstrom?

Stream time.

Come on you mighty Gunnnnnners

60. TwentyTwelve says:

I think Ramsey would be quite tired as well, Mickey.

Shame Sanogo isn’t playing, once again Giroud fails to connect with a ball across the box

This is such an average team, seriously lacking in penetration and quality.

Get Giroud off, we should have started with Sanogo, Giroud is already back in france

64. arnie says:

Feck…..

How predictable was that? We’ve been pouncing around and they’ve just mugged us.

FFS. Kallstrom that was pants and then a comedy of defensive errors.

Come on Arsenal get a grip.

67. arnie says:

come on, Poldi ………

68. A goal a goal a goal 🙂

69. arnie says:

Santi assist, I think.

Beautiful finish.

Come on we can win this….

71. Come on Arsenal, I’m having to sing in my living room 😆

72. arnie says:

yes, absolutely lovely goal.

73. Hello everyone 🙂

74. arnie says:

hello Peaches, any new dates? hpw bad is the pain?

you rang 🙂

“any new dates?”

bit fresh, arnie 🙂

77. Adrian says:

Brilliant turn and finish by Podolski there, he is the only forward in our team that would have converted that.

Game started out really slowly and passive but started to reach a higher tempo at the end of the half. Gotta up the intensity and pressure in the second half, coyg!

what’s the score

Kelsey,

Thought about you when Sz cleared 🙂

Ha Ha

So all the people who left their seats early to buy some fat, missed two goals 🙂

is Giroud playing

82. Adrian says:

As I get less and less impressed with Giroud as the season pans out, I honestly wouldn’t mind Poldi getting another run of games playing as our main striker. What he lacks in sheer pace he makes up in pure clinical finishing. His current chance conversion rate is slightly higher than 25% which is pretty impressive, and since I don’t believe that him playing on the left is the best for our team (his lack of pace and he hardly ever takes players on), I’m open to the idea.

Not really, Kelsey 🙂

By the way, are you taking the piss?

I blame his haircut. Giroud looks like a **** and is playing like one

85. I saw the man today and he said ‘there will be no surgery’ but also no driving, no football, no gigging, no cuddling, no waving with the left hand 😦

New pain as the tissues and ligaments start to heal ………. but Poldi scoring made me feel a bit better.

I’d agree with that Adrian.

Finish the season with a front three of Mesut, Pod and Ox.

Mind you, the “like a big ‘un up top”‘s would have something to say. Wouldn’t they Raddy 🙂

Adrian. It is where Poldi plays for Germany and throughout his club career. Most of his goals have come from the left side and he finishes so well from there.

The answer is not playing him centrally, it is buying a much better striker to share the load

Best pop out for some fresh air. Coming Arnie?

I am not watching the game,honestly.TV gone off,satellite or something and internet too slow.

Peaches that sounds terrible. No cuddling!!

Just have to lie back and think of England

91. Don’t worry Kelsey, you stick with us, we’ll keep you sane 😉

Didit Fresh air ;-(

93. arnie says:

I have already been, Micky. I am stuck in office because Forth Road Bridge is closed. And my lovely better half is cooking dinner which will be cold. 😦

94. If you write your review now Kelsey we can just alter the score for you 😉

95. arnie says:

hopefully, the good guys will bring some cheer. just any win will do. not choosy. 😛

okay, it’s no orgy of exciting football, but right now, three points is the only thing that matters.

I’d expect a 20 minute burst of thrust from aaron and ox if we’re not winning comfortably by 70.

Ref having a poor start to the half.

We need to concede before we show any urgency

99. arnie says:

Giroud……… GOAL!!!!!!!!

100. Brilliant control and a fine finish 🙂

101. arnie says:

Verms assist.

102. arnie says:

absolutely brilliant.

103. Adrian says:

Yessss. Great ball into their box by Verm, and a neat finish by Giroud. Really impressed with Vermaelen’s performance at LB today.

ha ha Kelsey
    giroud just scored a peach 🙂

105. ……..and not a hair out of place 🙂

Seeing the goal in close up that was a beautiful piece of play from Giroud. Excellent control and strong finish.

107. arnie says:

Raddy: that was a long ball, was it not? 😛

108. Adrian says:

Obviously getting a new striker would be our main priority this transfer window, but in the mean time I’m quite open to the idea of giving Pod a run of games as a striker (not just one or two games in patches) till the end of the season. Or maybe even play him and Giroud up top together in a 4-4-2, that formation turned out pretty well for us in the later stages of last weeks game.

109. Adrian says:

Oh and I was also under the impression that Podolski was the main target man in Koln most of the time. Correct me if I’m wrong.

110. arnie says:

That was a good freekick from Poldi.

I like k
    Kallstrom, he is tough in the tackle.

Santi easily MOtM so far

Arnie 🙂

Adrian. He was the main striker at koln but like TH came in from the flanks

113. arnie says:

yes, Kallstrom looks good. Positive and strong, attacking, accurate passing, and we hear shooting boots as well.

114. arnie says:

OK, Rambo gets some more time in the middle. good change IMO.

115. arnie says:

Poldi, yes yes yes………

116. arnie says:

Rambo assist, lovely goal again, what an assist!!!!!!

Adrian. I bow to your genius 🙂

118. Hey, this looks like my Arsenal 🙂

119. arnie says:

After a long time, this is a show of character.

120. arnie says:

Jenks for Santi???? To get him a big ovation? 😛

Great to see Ramsey back. Wonderful player

122. arnie says:

Yes, rambo is getting back there again.

123. arnie says:

Well done to the good guys. Whe teh going gets tough, the tough gets going! 5 more games. COYG!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

124. arnie says:

will try to get home now, dont know how long it will take. 😦 back laters.

Really enjoyed the last 50 minutes. Suddenly the spirit was back.

Santi almost back to his best, Rambo back.

Things look good …..

fantastic result and great second half performance.

everton at palace tomorrow. mmm, not easy.

arnie

and your wife will believe you were stuck at work because of closed roads. not arsenal playing or anything. good luck 🙂

(caps lock buggered again. think better off than on though)

peaches

not sure if you’re in the mood, but I could give you some of my special “feelings” if you like 🙂

if no-one wants to do a proper footbally mr, then leave a message on here

knackered, nite all.

I told you we would lose — err no, I meant I told you we would win Micky you doubter! 😉

Fine pre match Raddy.

How much difference does Rambo make to our team? His energy alone is inspiring but the movement he brings makes everything easier then others tart following his lead, look at the positions Oli took up once Rambo was on the pitch, he was coming short to receive because he knew he had someone to help him and go being him, makes such a difference.

Great result onwards Gooners.

131. Bayonne Jean says:

As predicted here earlier, comfortable (eventually!).

Could not have picked a better opponent than FatSam the Hutt’s clydesdales, who were even slower than a side totally knackered from Saturday’s draining exercise at Wembley. Under normal circumstances, this would have been a cricket score.

Three points from each fixture hereon in should do the job.

132. Oh Micky, some of your feelings would be super dooper, thanks, looking forward to that.

Ooooh to ooooh to be ooooh to be a Gooner 🙂

133. fatgingergooner says:

What a goal by Giroud! If Messi does that tomorrow night people will be creaming themselves.

Very gutsy performance tonight and a lot to be proud of. I was worried by the lack of pace in the starting line up, but fortunately we were playing a side even slower than ours!

Ramsey was outstanding when he came on and lifted the others. We are getting players back just at the right time to finish strong.

Let’s hope Pulis has got his extra large bus out of the garage just in time for the trip to Goodison.

134. Bayonne Jean says:

For stateside gooners, a reminder that there’s a two hour documentary on ESPN at 20:00 this evening on Hillsborough and its aftermath. These are usually excellent documentaries, worth a view.

And if you get a chance, have a look at Roberto Martinez’ speech at the memorial in Liverpool for the Hillsborough victims. On character, he would make a great successor to AW down the road. Pure class!

Perfect evenings viewing. An Arsenal victory followed by a Bergkamp documentary.

136. arnie says:

Micky 🙂

137. arnie says:

Bayonne Jean: 🙂 However, as a resident of Scotland I feel clydesdale is offering too much respect. More like FatSam the Hutt’s donkeys (of burden). 😛

138. arnie says:

Cockie: 🙂 may we live in interesting times! 🙂

139. arnie says:

Man Up! said BR – and man up we did!

If we hadn’t been through such a bumpy time lately we’d be purring over that performance.

Three particular moments of genius: Pod’s skill for his first goal; Ollie’s simply stunning control and finish while being fouled and shoved by two Clydesdales; and Aaron’s header for our third.

Super stuff.

Hopefully getting to the Cup Final has restored a bit of belief – and with players coming back from injury maybe we can get the results we need from here on in…

Thought Verm was excellent, and the BFG also did a good job of keeping Carroll quiet.

Just ignore Merson talking out of his bum at the start.

A few words in drafts and morning all.

“daily motion” sounds more like advice from the doctor to gentlemen.

Morning Chas.

Post/feelings sent. Early starts workwise, must dash.

145. White Bear says:

I didn’t see the game 😦
    Was it brill?
    I saw the goals, all fantastic. How much I missed those lethal woppers from a distance, well done Lulu!

Who is doing the report? Hairy?

I did a report and apparently so did Micky. Age before beauty,therefore he loses on both counts 🙂

Hi Kelsey,

I think it would be interesting to see both match reports, especially as you told us last night that you had not seen the game – nothing new there, I suppose. 🙂

We can have both kelsey’s looks and Micky’s wisdom

149. White Bear says:

never too many winning match reports, let’s have you both

Excluding TPIG and subs, who was our youngest player last night ?

151. TwentyTwelve says:

Good morning, everyone. Fantastic to read about a win again. The day is brighter for it. It was good to see Arsenal keeping their composure and overwhelming West Ham in the end.

152. TwentyTwelve says:

Interesting observation, BR. Had to look it up: Giroud at 27. Quite an “old” group yesterday.

Raddy/Twenty Twelve I was thinking against Everton how we had become suddenly “old”.

Obviously this has a lot to do with injuries but also buying policy.

It’s also why we have looked at times pedestrian, the legs on the pitch have a lot of miles in them (not just this season) and playing game after game is not what they are in the squad for, they are there to rotate in when needed.

Now I have been banging the drum for youth in recent seasons and for us to be more like ManUre in keeping players at the club rather than having to buy senior squad players .

Ants Chas and me discussed Sidwell and Larsson, I’m not saying they would have been regular starters, neither would Frimpong, Yennaris and Lansbury, but would they be any worse than the players we have bought in to strengthen the squad? They also have youth on their sides meaning they can make up for their lack of skill with workrate and energy.

Now this is where I have to hate myself as I compare us to ManUre, keeping the likes of O’Shea and Brown, later Evans etc meant they could spend more money bringing in big names to augment the squad whilst having subs who would run through brick walls for the club that gave them their chance to play at this level, then at 26-28 let them earn some money and play regular football by joining the likes of Hull, WBA or whoever.

154. arnie says:

motning all. yesterday’s starting 11 was the oldest ever fielded by Arsene. Arsene was asked about this in the 5Live interview. He made some interesting observations. Let me see whather I can find it somewhere.

GiE. nice comment. I agree. 🙂

Thanks micky and kelsey for the posts …… I’m just mashing them together 😉

156. arnie says:

exciting, Peaches, cannot wait. 🙂

157. GiE – excellent point about keeping young players to be part of the squad for a few years.

158. kelsey – have you finished with your post, it says you’re still editing.

159. arnie says:

“It was a gamble,” said Wenger. “I said before the game that it was one of the oldest teams I have ever played at Arsenal since I’ve been here.

“I trusted the experience of the players because it was an unusual around-30 team and that experience helps when you are a little bit backs against the wall.”

He went on to say that, yes, it was partly forced by injuries. But also that the experience was needed for stability at a very crucial time.

In fact, in terms of average age, it was the oldest team fielded by Arsene ever.

yes I have finished with it,peaches.About an hour ago.

161. arnie says:

On the Jarvis non-penalty (Sagna touched the player, but he stayed up) on 16 mins.

“I am grateful for that,” said Wenger. “I don’t think it was a penalty, but he touched him yes. Can you be too honest? I leave you that judgment. You want people to be honest if you thought it was a penalty. Maybe if he made a theatrical dive he would have got it.”

Fat Sam felt Jarvis was punished for being too honest and believes referees only award penalties when players go down.

“The fact is that when you stay on your feet referees don’t give penalties,” said Allardyce. “The ref finds it very difficult to give. For honesty there is no reward. So what do I do?

“A foul is a foul, it doesn’t matter whether you go down or stay on your feet. You get slaughtered for diving, but when someone is honest and you don’t get what you should get. Every team, when you stay on your feet particularly in the penalty area, it’s a critical decision so you have to make the referee’s mind up.

“If there is contact, you should go down and make the referee’s mind up for him. There is no reward for being honest. But that is not the reason we haven’t won.”

Asked if he will now instruct his players to go down in the area, Allardyce added: “You can’t ask players who are honest to be any different. It’s against their nature. So you hope the referee gives you the decision you deserve.”

hey Kelsey

check THIS OUT

White Bear says:

April 16, 2014 at 7:53 am

“let’s have you both”

Surely only one interpretation of that. We’re IN 🙂

163. arnie says:

apols, shd have put the comments after the reports go up. but cannot wait. have to rush back laters. 🙂

164. Here we are, we have a mash up ………….

………New Post everyone …………..

I’m still looking for photos …………