If Not Arsenal, Who Do You Want To Be Champions? (Poll)

Technically, Arsenal are still in the race to be crowned Premier League champions.

Yeah, right.

But I think we all know that Arsenal will not be lifting a 14th League Championship Title this May… and that N17 will ever remain a sinkhole of ignorance and moral decrepitude.

So if not us, who?

Who would you prefer to win the title in the absence of our goodly selves?

This theme has been discussed on and off in the comments section of the blog over the last week or so (in particular since we effectively bowed out of the title race with our embarrassment at Chav Central).

I have seen arguments put forward for Manchester City and for Liverpool. I have yet to see anyone make the case for Chelsea, but you never know.

Those who would prefer the Light Blue Oilers to take the crown seem to base their argument on the following:

• Man City are a really good team who play football in the right way.
  • Most of their players seem pretty decent, as far as professional footy players go (only Na$ri really rates in the objectionable stakes).
  • Their manager has never slagged off Arsenal or Arsene.
  • Rather them than the Dark Blue Oilers and their festering pustule of a manager.

For those who favour Liverpool, these are the main arguments:

• Liverpool are playing good, entertaining football with real attacking verve.
  • Unlike the Oilers they cannot be considered to have out-and-out bought the title if they win.
  • A Liverpool victory would give hope to all the non Sugar Daddy teams and indicate that money doesn’t always win the day.

Since no-one has favoured Chelsea (as far as I have seen) I’ll have to make up my own reasons:

• Rather them than Liverpool, because we don’t want to establish the Dippers as serious rivals moving forward.
  • Despite having lashed out gazillions, the Chavs have spent less in recent years than Man City, so a Chelsea win would show that it’s not just a case of he-who-spends-most.
  • Their manager is a charmingly eccentric individual who adds colour to the tapestry of our favorite game.

Others have specific “negative” reasons for not wanting one or more of the teams to triumph.

For example, the classless comments of Liverpool chairman John Henry and manager Brenda Rodgers during the summer’s Suarez-to-Arsenal kerfuffle have left some Gooners adamant that they don’t want a Scouser victory.

Others (I count myself in this group) would hate a victory for either of the Oiler teams simply because it reduces the EPL to battle of the bank balance.

And just about everyone seems united in not wanting the ill-mannered Portuguese nitwit Mourinho to have the opportunity to gloat at season’s end.

Well… let’s be having it. Vote for the team you would prefer to see win the title if not Arsenal (and please explain your reasons in comments).

RockyLives

76 Responses to If Not Arsenal, Who Do You Want To Be Champions? (Poll)

Rocket,

You have pretty well summed up the pros and cons for each of the likely winners of the EPL.

In brief, the oligarch and the oil state funded clubs are here to stay (in whatever country) and on that basis Citeh are the least distasteful one. But …..

That toad, Maureenho, the artless Tart has now descended to threatening small ball boys, conveniently forgetting his own small balls, and I could never support any shameless club who employed him.

The Scousers have some of the loudest mouthed braggarts I have ever come across, and I simply could not bring myself to vote for their classless, lying owner after last summer’s charade, ably abetted by that disloyal and disingenuous manager Brenda — just ask the Watford and Swansea fans what they think of him …..

After careful deliberation, I took the opportunity you afforded me and voted ….. a pox on all their houses.

“Yeah, right.

Technically, the Tottenham area of London could become a centre of learning to rival Alexandria of antiquity.”

Another gem from the keyboard of the Coracle.

3. eldergooner says:

I voted for a pox on all of them simply because I can´t abide any of them.
    Liverpool , to me anyway . have benefited from not playing European football . I think that´s a no brainer to be honest , so let´s see how they cope with an enhanced fixture list next year.
    Please excuse my ignorance here but are there no issues regarding Liverpool refusing the transfer of Suarez due to their not being a buy out clause and then they subsequently gloat about how there actually was but they ignored it . Does this not have any significance from a business (City) angle – or are they not on the market and therefor not subject to misinformation issues which would affect their share price ?
    Forgive me for going off subject there but it´s been annoying me for a while now and I know for sure that I will get an answer on here.

4. Shard says:

I cheated and voted for both ManCity and ‘a pox on all their houses’ 🙂

Why City? I think you almost covered all the reasons for why not Chelsea and why not Liverpool.

Chelsea goes without saying. Mourinho is a complete banned word and the only reason he gets so much hero-worship in the media is because his expensively built defensive teams manage to win titles by hook or through crooks. Chelsea dive, they kick, cheat and are generally a despicable team and club. Along with their chav fans.

Liverpool. As a club I had nothing against them. Never really thought of them as bitter rivals and by logic of their not being an oiler club, I should be supporting them. But I am an Arsenal fan. Liverpool repeatedly took to the media to take potshots at Arsenal, which was cowardly because they know Arsenal are targetted in the media while they themselves have remained fairly immune to it all. Their owner admitted to not honouring a clause in Suarez’s contract (which by the way has potentially huge consequences for the future -particularly as it was supported by the PFA chief) and although they have learned from their failure in the past, the way they handled the whole Suarez racism saga underlines again a club which doesn’t understand class. I would guess their supporters are the same. Above all, a victory for Liverpool would be used to demean Arsenal yet again.

What of City. Yes I object to a club being funded by an entire nation’s resources. But they play the best football. I haven’t seen their players resort to diving as a matter of course. They have not been disrespectful to Arsenal in public. Basically, although it might be different for their supporters, the influx of money doesn’t seem to have resulted in them losing all decency as a club. Plus, whether they win this season or not, the oilers aren’t going to go away. In fact not winning might result in an even greater cycle of spending. So it’s not like that makes a difference to Arsenal or football in the longer term. Hence City.

Pox on all their houses though because they are all the bad guys and we’re the only good guys.

5. 26may1989 says:

Interesting, about 70 people have voted but, as at the time of typing this, no comments…..

Rockster, you took the thoughts out of my cranium with this post. We’re out of the race (there’s no way we can overhaul all three of the others, even if I still think we might get a chance to finish above one of them). So which one to send happy thoughts to?

Has to be Liverpool for me, for the reasons you put forward: theirs would be a victory for running a football club the right way. It would also be a victory for attacking football, but City offer the slightly more refined product on that level, and even Chelsea (yuck), despite Mourinho’s Darth Vadar instincts, have a very fine creative department.

I don’t care what Rodgers and his boss said about us when we tried to sign their best player. Just shows what good taste we have, and how right they were to go toe-to-toe with us.

Little comment re N17: speaking as one who grew up next door (in N22), is there any need to slag off the people of one of the country’s most deprived areas? Many of them have little to do with THFC (you’d be surprised how many Gooners there are in the area), and the vast majority of Spuds come from other parts. I know, perhaps I’m being too defensive, but it just grates when I read stuff like that, especially from one as erudite and incisive as your good self.

6. 26may1989 says:

Re the Suarez buy-out clause thang, my understanding was that there is a clause but it is consulatation clause, requiring the club to let the player know if a bid at £40m came in, but no more than that. If it had been more than that, and was a proper buy-out clause requiring the club to accept an offer at the trigger price, there is no way LFC could have simply ignored it – Suarez would have had the easiest day in court ever, with a judge issuing an injunction against LFC within minutes.

The confusion seems to have been Suarez’s agent’s – he didn’t understand the limitations of the clause that was in the contract, so touted his player to Arsenal (and of course others) on the basis that a bid over £40m would have to be accepted. Arsenal et al would not be allowed to see the contract, so would have taken the agent’s word on it, hence the supposedly offensive £40,000,001 bid (I have never understood what was wrong with it). Only on lodging that bid did the weakness of the clause (and the agent’s misunderstanding) become clear.

So what did LFC do wrong? Nothing. In the circumstances of last summer, with Suarez openly saying he wanted to leave, with his behavioural issues at their worst and with LFC seemingly treading water, it looked like a stupid gamble, but what they did was fine, and their gamble has paid off in spades.

I also see nothing wrong in what Arsenal did. It was just Suarez’s agent that (wilfully or stupidly) got it wrong.

Great fun stuff for a Monday Rocky. I voted for City and ‘A Pox’ – just because I could.

It was an easy choice for me. It could never be the chavs, they have very unpleasant fans and an equally unpleasant manager.

I can’t want pool to win (even though I know it would be the right thing) because they haven’t won the prem yet and I don’t want the importance of our wins to be undermined – it’s all about Arsenal for me.

I take 26m’s point about N17, but realise you are only referring to those who support ‘that team’ in the area.

26m – my daughter may be buying a flat in N17 under the shared ownership scheme. The area is in the early stages of gentrification and will not doubt be populated by young professionals in 10 years, with crazily expensive housing that few of the current locals could afford- a bit like Hackney

Nice one Rocky on Rocky Monday. For give me for asking but is it not also Rocky remembrance day for the man himself. I will be lifting a glass of vino to him later.

I voted Liverpool. I was miffed with the tone of the responses coming out of there in the summer but also the minute we put in the £40m + £1 I thought to myself that is somewhat antagonistic if not slightly disrespectful ourselves. Why not just go to £42m if you are prepared to go £40m anyway. We just didn’t play the game very well and that is as much our own fault as anything else.

It looks like they made a wise choice anyway as the player in question has pushed them to the brink of the title. With Gerrard getting older and Madrid likely to come calling for Suarez it may be that this is Liverpools big chance and that, even with a lot of money through any Suarez sale, they will fail to replace his quality and drop off a bit after this season. That is if he actually leaves of course.

I still regard Liverpool as a proper club. I don’t mind Man City but I would struggle to stomach watching the frog faced Frenchie that used to be with us smiling on some victory parade and almost for that alone I have to go for Liverpool.

Chelsea Rocky? Bbbllllaaaaahhhhhhh. I admire your fortitude Rocky but you really didn’t need to make up any reasons for plumping for them. It is like trying to argue that Jack the Ripper was actually deep down a gentle and sensitive soul.

9. Shard says:

26may

“Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world,” Henry is reported to have said. “He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we’ve found … is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

“It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving. We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to.

“Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we’re just not selling.

It seems clear that he said there was a buyout clause. (Of course he might be grandstanding) I think now that the clause existed, Arsenal triggered it, and Liverpool were biding their time looking at what to do. If you recall their initial statements were that Suarez is worth more than 40m. At least as much as Cavani. They were probably fishing for more money from Arsenal, or that some other club steps in. Since both things didn’t happen, they had to decide whether to sell him to us or refuse to uphold his clause.

In this, Suarez could have had a field day in court. But Suarez wasn’t prepared to go to court for a move to Arsenal. Instead he opted for bigger money contract and a chance to go to Madrid or something like that (probably next season) Liverpool got a player to stay and be happy enough to play because of the world cup and a chance to earn a move to his dream club. But Liverpool ignored a contractual clause that Suarez wanted to be honoured. They essentially bullied a player into it since going to court isn’t an ideal option for a player. (FIFA discourages this) Suarez also initially claimed that the PFA was on his side. But the PFA chairman publicly took Liverpool’s view (and oddly, in his statement showed concern for how late it was in the transfer window for Liverpool to get replacements) I think this is some underhanded business here. I don’t like it. (And I was against buying Suarez even though I understood it)

10. WHL 1987 says:

I’ve just come on here to say RIP Rocky. Taken far too soon, what a fantastic player and gent.

I remember being at Highbury that day and as the announcement was made, this was before smart phones, so many people had found out there and then. Grown men including me had tears streaming down their faces. He was part of that great generation of Arsenal players who came through the ranks, and despite the wonderful football and triumphs Wenger has produced I don’t think I’ll ever be as fond of an Arsenal team again as I was of that late 80’s team. I’m from North London myself but I can’t tell you how much that team meant to me and my family. I’m half Indian, and while my mum’s side is Arsenal through and through, from around Camden and Holloway, and I was taken by my uncles on her side from a young age my dad only really got into the Arsenal because of the presence of the black players in that team and Rocky was his favourite. Football’s never really been his thing like it was for me, but Rocky meant so much to both of us.

I was fortunate enough to meet Rocky on three occasions and he was lovely each time, and remembered me the 2nd and 3rd time! Absolutely mustard was Rocky. It shows what a gent he was. He took the time to have a chat and was crazy about the Arsenal. I feel privileged to have seen such a gent play for us and proud that he came through at Arsenal. He combined technical brilliance and was hard as nails. A fantastic geezer and a wonderful footballer.

‘Remember who you are and what you represent.’ How profound. RIP David, taken far too soon. You may be gone but you’ll never be forgotten at the Arsenal.

Nice post Rocky and it needs careful thought.

Abramovich, who wanted to buy Spurs bought Chelsea and saved the club and Bates especially from being in the red to the tune of 80/90 million but I couldn’t stand their supporters, the NF element handing out leaflets in the Kings Road. Osgood another anti semetic arsehole,but more to the point Abramovich changed football from a sport to a mega business,and now we have this smart arse Mournho who the media love and most others can’t stand.

City as I said before was always a club I had a soft spot, yet now it is frightening how quickly with 100’s of millions spent they have won one title,yet to me they actually under achieve against the inestment..

So for me it has to be Liverpool,despite what their chairman said re Suarez, as quite frankly I don’t put much credence in any chairman’s quotes,not that we actually ever hear much from them.

They have to me the most passionate supporters in the country and are having a great seaon with a small squad but as eldergooner said not have they had far fewer matches than all the others they haven’t had to travel to deepest Russia which can have a bearing on performances.

I would allow them just this one title but they need a new stadium or more likey a huge investment to enlarge Anfield and a bigger squad so will Henry and Co, flash the clash.

I see major spending in the Summer by many clubs hopefully including us and with the World Cup looming prices could get inflated yet again .

Welcome WHL and thank you for sharing your memories of Rocky with us on AA. Great player, great man, an Arsenal legend … sad loss.

I would have been very happy to publish your comment as a headline post, please feel free to share this kind of material with us in the future.

13. TwentyTwelve says:

Excellent topic, Rocky (as always).

To be crowned champions in May, Liverpool most likely must do well against both ManCity and Chelsea in April, their mini version of Death Cluster II. I don’t wish them luck, as I carry a grudge against them since the Suarez transfer episode.

14. 26may1989 says:

WHL, that is a top comment, thank you. Sounds like we’re of the same vintage, and yes, from my point of view, that George Graham team from 1986 to 1991 was so very special.

I think we all knew GG had lost the plot the day he sold Rocky to Leeds. It was all downhill for Graham from that moment on. That was a measure of Rocastle’s significance.

I never had the privilege of meeting Rocastle, but I remember many of his performances well. Perhaps my favourite was his thunderbolt of a goal at Anfield, when he arrowed the ball into the corner with absolutely no backlift on his shot. That was a thing of beauty.

Morning all,

Rocky, you always manage to find the right topic for discussion and when you throw in a few of your personal comments it attracts out and out debate.

Chelsea are far too inconsistent to win the title and although they remain close I doubt their credentials and totally I dislike their types..

Personally I would like to see Liverpool win. My in laws are all from Liverpool and they are some of the most ardent. passionate supporters I have ever met – the support within their ground should be a text book for Arsenal fans on how to support our team. I’ve been to Anfield and Goodison on multiple occasions and even though I was a known Arsenal supporter I was always treated well, if not humorously.

City are the class football team in the PL and based on their football they deserve to win the league, and most likely will.

But I voted for Liverpool, based on my personal experiences of being amongst their supporters, in the ground, in the pubs and in their homes. I just thoroughly enjoy their enthusiasm and brand of support.

Plus I would like another team to wipe that 20 title smirk off of Man U’s faces and Pool are the closest to doing that.

I second those comments by GN5

When we beat Liverpool in the 1971 Cup Final and walking away from the ground down Empire Way, severpool fans shook our hands and congratulated us on the win. Not a hint of bitterness..

In my previous comment I didn’t make it clear about the NF Chelsea fans at The Shed end, as this was of course many years before Abramovich. Ironic that they finished up with a Jewish owner.

You’ve turned me into a Wobbler Rocky.

Most things are black and white to me, partly because I’m too bloody lazy to pause and think, but before your post and the following comments, I was firmly in the City camp

Now I wobble. I will be back later, read more comments, and then vote, and I promise not to duck my duties and wimp out into the “Pox” Box.

I will wobble not.

WHL 1987

Lovely comment, and very nice to hear from someone who met the great man. Thanks for that.

Hi 26 and Shard @ 10:48 11:08 respectively;

I think you have both interpreted events very well concerning the Suarez buyout/advisory clause, but the only ‘real’ evidence, one way or the other, is the comments attributed to John Henry, the owner, who may have only been bragging and blowing smoke up everyones’ asses, when he said there was, in fact, a buyout clause but he had chosen to ignore it – to the benefit of the club.

In practice, the opprobrium Arsenal received at the time was strange.
    We only placed a bid, presumably after information from Suarez’s agent, and with the consent of the player, which was refused on the grounds that no such clause existed.

The only party who could take legal action against ‘Pool was the player who chose not to do so. End of.

GoonerB, I would not advise you to go into business if you think there is little difference between £1 and £1,000,000. 🙂

Or, if you do — can I have first dibs at you? 🙂

20. jjgsol says:

Kelsey,

I am not a regular attender at live matches. However, the only ground where I have been insulted becuse I am Jewish is at Chelsea.

At that game, some chelsea supporters were making anti-semitic comments and someone in a row behind us, got up, turned around and started shouting back.

He was then removed by the stewards.

I took my wife to a game once. It was at home to Chelsea, and ended up as a 00 draw. Awful game, by the way.

However, the only thing my wife enjoyed about the game was the fighting afterwards. Needless to say, I have never taken her again to a match.

21. David Stewart says:

WHL – Like you I too have a deep affinity for the crop of players from the Late 80’s/early 90’s. Brilliant homegrown talent.

Sadly, in the poll I voted for City although my true position is ‘anything but Chelsea’.

22. Norfolk Gooner says:

Well done Rocky, a poll on a subject close to the hearts of many supporters, but not to mine!

If Arsenal are not to win the title I couldn’t give a damn who does. I find something obnoxious about all three of them.

The Chavs for their classless manager and despicable captain.

The Oilers for purchasing the title.

The Bin-dippers for being from the city of perennial victims, Liverpool.

I’m firmly in the “A pox on all their houses” camp.

Cheers Rock

I am with Rasp on this one. Should be Liverpool, after all I have spent the last decade bitching about Chelsea’s and City’s money.

However, its a bit like hearing a friend has had some good fortune. My evil side tends to win out. Yeah, at first I try and convince myself I am happy for him but eventually tire of lying to myself so the “Come on Mancini, it should have been you with the rich aunt, f*uck him” wins the day.

Why are people evil Rocky? Or is it just me and Rasp? hahaha

24. arnie says:

Brilliant, Rocky. 🙂 what a way to light up a grim end to March. Hard realisation that it is a step too far for Arsenal this year, at it has to be some other. 😦 Except that, rarher that being salt rubbed into the wound, it was venting one’s frustration on the ignorable others.

I voted Shitty for all the reasons cited by respected AAers earlier. I hate all of them, oilers for the slippery slope they are dragging every club into, and who knows our beloved Arsenal may join the bandwagon as well. Even if I would like them to be defiant and different.

Pool has not joined the bandwagon, yet, but their rhetoric is deplorable. If the Suarez saga was bad, the comments by Henry and Brenda wee plain outrageous. When we vent our anger at Maureen we often seem to forget that these comments were in the same “class”, at least as far as I am concerned. Who knows exactly what the contract situation is/ was, but what was that recent brag by Henry all about. How they cheated the system, and how thay are so proud about it. Shameless creature! 😦

Shitty because it has built a team that plays a nice game. And they are respectful. Many of their fans are as well, and bluevalentine captures the very best of that tradition. They are the only EPL team that this year could have fought for the CL crown. Not to be. But they are likely EPL champions, and so be it. Even if I hate the oil route, if it has to be taken, Shitty show how it can be done. Being respectful and playing a good game.

Good day everyone.

I love the results of the Poll so far – the one thing we all seem to be united on is “anyone but the Chavs” 😀

The split between Liverpool and Man City is more even. I plumped for ‘Pool because I hate the way the Oiler clubs have distorted modern footy. I know people are angry about the John Henry stuff, but I wish our club had shown that sort of attitude when, for example, Brave Sir Robin wanted out the door while still under contract.

Thankyou for your comment about N17, which is very reasonably made.

However, on an Arsenal blog – as far as I’m concerned – the term “N17” refers to anything to do with the Spuds.

I’m glad the area is gentrifying. Does this mean the locals now wipe their arse after shitting in the street?

🙂

Redders. As I typed that bit about going to £42m I thought “I bet someone mentions that”. You are quite right of course that in the normal course of things that £1,999,999 is not to be sneezed at but in the world of planet football it is monopoly money. I have come to accept that, and it is why in the great scheme of things that discrepency is literally peanuts in footballing terms for a player of his calibre.

I also thought about it more from the psychological aspect than the financial. That bid was always going to tweak their tail and get their backs up with the cheeky element to it, and I think from that moment they battoned down the hatches and became resolved to not selling him to us, if we ever even had a chance anyway. I don’t think £42m would have swung it either but you never know, they may have entered dialogue with us instead of stonewalling us. I always feel that in negotiations you need to weaken the resolve of the other party in not wanting to do business with you not strengthen it, which is what I feel we did.

Of course you can have first dibs at me though. I currently wish to purchase 10 yellow tea-towels. How much for the lot redders?

Some lovely comments today about Rocky Rocastle.

A true legend, greatly missed.

29. arnie says:

Rocky: I have a feeling that B$R might have been pushed out of the door. Maybe we will know some day, or maybe we wont, what happened. But for some reason, perhaps personality issues, perhaps a personal request from RedNose, but the B$R case has something mysterious about it.

Fabregars on the other hand was another matter. Whatever it is, much as I would love Arsenal to be strong in these cases, I would not have liked them to be disrespectful of other teams, their players, management or the fans. Or to be disrespectful towards teh system or the FA as well. 🙂

30. White Bear says:

I want to know who are the 8 individuals voting for Chelsea? Rasp, can you do the Russian trick and name them?

Good call Rocky, the question has been on my mind for a while now. In my opinion Pool deserve it more than other two. they received considerably less doping. Blimey that would put a spanner in the works of ready made excuses – we cannot compete with the uber rich clubs. We cant, but Liverpool can? Right

It would be an interesting poll this time next year when 6 could replace 4. 🙂

Or how many managers will Spurs have had in the next twelve months.

Right, I’ve un-wobbled myself, and with a heavy heart, I go City.

It does make me feel guilty though, as part of me should go for the un-doped Club, and it’s part cowardice in that I can blame the money on a City success.

Both City and Pool play great football, but Pool’s is aided by the dives of Suarez, while in the back of my mind is that one day we may be doped up, and I’d still want us to win.

GoonerB @ 3:29

I love you more each time you mention money — £1,000,000 less £1 = £999,999, but I will be happy to take your £1,999,999. 🙂

Actually, I am not trying to be a smart ass — much, but the way the release clause works, is that when a player signs for a club, they agree (sometimes) on a ‘get out’ clause, usually for a ridiculous figure, that if someone meets the valuation stipulated that the player can go.

That’s where the ‘negotiations’ are done, the buying club just has to cough up.

There is some doubt as to what the clause in Suarez’s contract actually said, but if as John Henry later claimed, there was such a clause, then all Arsenal, or any other club had to do was exceed £42m.

£1 was enough. There were no brownie points for offering more.

The contract was between Suarez and ‘Pool, so it needed him to call their bluff and threaten legal action — and he chose not to.
    Arsenal had no say in any of it, and only offered what the contract required, and could not take legal action as they were not party to the agreement – hence my puzzlement at all the grief they were subsequently given.

Now, I have a nice little late model Jaguar that I will sell for anything over £15,000 – and from you I will accept £1,015,000. Done! 🙂

34. Shard says:

White Bear

Liverpool haven’t won it yet. We’ve challenged (and won it) more times than they have in the past 10 years. That we couldn’t get over the line at least once in the intervening period is down to a variety of factors, money being a major one. Do you know how much Liverpool have spent over the past 3 years? Liverpool have outspent us hugely in the transfer market (even had a wage bill larger than ours at least one season). Virtually every club has. You wouldn’t think it because they’ve consistently under-performed.

They might well manage to win, but the oil money isn’t an excuse, it is a reality which isn’t going to go away. Let’s see how Liverpool will cope with being seen as a threat by the oilers. How quickly their players desert them for more money, how the transfer market will be used by the oilers to not just gain themselves but disadvantage Liverpool (It already happened with Salah after Chelsea initially loaned them Moses)

As for Arsenal competing. They’re already doing that. If you are asking Arsenal to win, that takes a lot more than just ability or money. But money will help, and Arsenal are going to have a lot more of it from now on.

And herein is my frustration. If this narrative around Arsenal did not exist, I would be ok with Liverpool winning. But comments such as yours about Arsenal using oil money as an excuse will be all that will do the rounds, and that is not good for my sanity. Hence, since we can’t, may City please win the title.

35. arnie says:

good point, Shard.

Rockstar,

I don’t disagree with you as often as I would like, but I have to say the Suarez fiasco and the RvP bollix are really very different.

I have a lingering suspicion (and I do not want to sound like barmy arnie here) 🙂 that Suarez stitched Arsenal up and used us to his own ends. Forget the agent’s misunderstanding of the contract here, players all engage shit hot lawyers like 26 to protect their interests and the terms of the contract would have been clear.

Either Suarez eventually colluded with John Henry and got the deal he really wanted, and decided did not to pursue his rights under the buyout clause, or there simply was no such clause and, Henry was just jerking off to publicly point score over Kroenke.

With the Black Prince of Holland there is no mystery – sorry arnie – the whole business came down to a business decision, once Sir Persealot made his decision known.

In the last year of his contract Arsenal had two choices; either force him to see out his contract for the final year and lose him for nothing in the final year (ironically Sir Ferg would no longer have been at Old Toilet and the transfer would never have happened) or, Arsenal could decide on the second option and sell a 30 year old, injury prone player for £25m.

Whatever people think of the choice taken, it made a lot of sense to take the money and let a sulky, injury pr ……… tart go. 🙂

You may have read this before but it makes very interesting reading especially the link with Gerrard Houllier.

A pox on all their houses for me.

I’ve never been very good at choosing in a ‘least worst’ competition. Probably why I rarely vote in elections.

The chavs would definitely be the worst of the three.

The FFBW is the only one I truly detest at the light blue oilers, whereas the dippers have the loathsome Sturridge, Gerrard and their management team. Having said that, any win for Citeh is bought.
    I’d put them both on a par, hence the pox option. 🙂

39. White Bear says:

shard – a genuine excuse is still an excuse. I never said that Pool didn’t sped much more than us, I merely mentioned that they were less financially dopped than both oilers.
    Neither did I say that they will win the League, but merely that I would rather they won than City or Chavs.

Why are you so rattled today, bad hair day?

40. Shard says:

Like I said Evonne… Not good for my sanity 🙂

1,015,000 for a late model jag redders? Are you having a laugh, i will only pay £1,500,000. Take it or leave it.

42. White Bear says:

what sanity Shard 🙂

43. Shard says:

Touché White Bear… Can’t argue with that 🙂

44. White Bear says:

GiE and RA – I need professional help!!

That’s not surprising evonne anyone with a pseudonym of White Bear has to be a little bi-polar?

Dunno Gn5, she seems a bit grizzly to me…

That will make her an angry mother bear – she may not like to be referred to as grizzled.

48. White Bear says:

🙂 you are very clever GN5 🙂
    Rocky!!! me not grizzly, me very cuddly 🙂

I sense a bad smell!

Its turned into a real stink!

Poor Sniffer…

Thank goodness for the virtual can of aerosol.

Who ever wins it shall not deserve it

Chelsea is a horrible place were the rich hunt down the poor for slave labour. The police are in there pocket so turn a blind eye as some undeserving Russian Billionaire fresh from exploiting his own people by forcing them to work in a uranium mine, beats up a postman for not wearing a Rolex.

In Manchestor, you are in danger from social exclusion if you read a newspaper which instead of fake tits has a picture of a clever looking bloke wearing glasses.

If you are caught been polite or displaying a non arrogant attitude you will be singled out for been some one who passed an A Level. A cardinal sin worthy of a kicking by a gang of men with medium length straight hair

Liverpool is a nightmare. Acceptence only comes from proving you are somehow related to Stevie Gerrard. You will be interegated on arrival, so i suggest claiming that as a kid you and cousin Stevie once beat up an innocent bloke in a bar who couldnt prove he was Stevies cousin. This should see you right.

Once in, you will be asked to rob a Manchestor Utd players house.

Evening all, I voted City, for a very simple reason…..their fans.

We can’t sing “where were you when you were shit?” to them because most packed into Maine Road in the third tier.

And most fans that I have listened to still have that sense of belonging to a club and not believing their luck at what they are witnessing, most still have the gallows humour that saw them through the dark days.

It sticks in the crawl that they have bought their success with their wealth but the fans have not gone all Chavlike.

55. WHL 1987 says:

Thanks for the kind words fellas,

Rocky was a real hero of mine, I’m only a few years older than he would have been were he still alive today and as I said he was a top bloke when I met him. He offered to try and get me tickets in the East Upper if I wanted them! They say it’s never good to meet your heroes, but Rocky was even better than I could have hoped he would be. I think the fact that he was such a nice man, really shows in his legacy and how fondly he is remembered.

In terms of who I want to win the title, it’s anyone but Chelsea. Never liked that club, and never liked their fans. I don’t actually have a problem with the petro-dollar malarkey, which is why I bear City no ill will. They have classy players, a classy manager and for the most part classy fans. Who are we to criticise supporters for enjoying the roller coaster ride that is football. We’ve got some less than savoury dealings in our past as well! Sir Henry Norris, what a man! But upstanding and a by the rules man he was not!

The scousers winning would irritate me purely as I grew up in the eighties and so I knew a lot of glory supporters. Boys from North London who supported Liverpool, when their dads and uncles were going to Highbury or White Hart Lane every other week. But I admire their football and they are a club with a great tradition. I can’t begrudge them a title after so many years without one.

But, I hope it’s not the Queens of the King’s Road. I’ll never forget run ins with some of Chelsea’s bovver boys through the eighties and the NF and C18 Filth who infiltrated that club. On my mum’s side I’ve got Irish blood in me, as most people around Holloway do and a distinct memory I have is two of my cousins from across the sea turning up at my house in the mid 90’s with black eyes and bloodied noses after having been beaten up by Chelsea fans outside Kings Cross who heard their accents. Chelsea and their manager can go to hell. I wonder if anyone else on here was at Stamford Bridge in 2003 after we knocked them out of the the FA cup. After that match, I had the misfortune of seeing some of the worst violence and racist filth I’ve seen at a London derby. Terrible scenes that have no place in football but Chelsea are for me a club forever tainted by association, and their manager is doing nothing to redeem them. The hooligans have gone/been priced out but with JT and the Special **** they are as classless as ever!

Great site you have here fellas! Doubt I’ll post often, but this is a wonderful site which I read very often. I’ve got a lot of admiration for the long time gooners who post on here.

That’s a very nice comment WHL – thank you.

Rasp, Peaches and some of the others put a lot of work into this site so it’s nice to know that people appreciate it.

I suspect you’re about the same age as me and, like you, I found those early George Graham years to be some of the best I’ve ever had supporting the Mighty Arse.

57. arnie says:

Redders: R$P is not a topic worth wasting much sleep on. The only thing I will say though is that Arsene had admitted that he was aware RedNose was in his final year when he allowed BSR to leave. hmmm. Nasty smell, no matter whatever you may say. 🙂

58. 26may1989 says:

From Sky tonight:

Q: “I bet you’re looking forward to City against Liverpool, the head to head?”

Gary Neville: “For the title? …….. It’s like having a choice of two blokes to nick your wife!”

Or, even worse, having two blokes that dont want to nick your wife

Transplant 🙂

And a good morning all

So, City it is. Must say, although they were my choice, I would have bet LB’s …. err..not sure what’s left, that Pool would have won this poll simply on the grounds of being non doped.

Does this mean it’s possible to be doped and retain a certain integrity?

Micky the doping makes it excusable for them to win it. Liverpool winning would be one of the final straws for a lot of Gooners, but then so far they have played 10 games less than us, come the end of the season we will have played 58 games (if we get to the final), Liverpool will only play 44. 14 games is a big difference on squad stress, and perhaps most importantly gives Rodgers 5 days working on each game or correcting/improving the system. When CL group stages are at height you probably have 2 days max working with players to prepare for any game.

And actually the whole set up at Chavs is vile. Fans included.

Those extra games probably account for extra injuries, too. The doped clubs can have big enough squads to cope with the extra. The dippers have been really lucky this season.
    Even if they win it, you know someone like Gerrard won’t have another season in him.

*lucky with injuries

GIE makes a good point …. their fans. City fans are amongst the best in the country.

WHL1987 . Fine name though I am more of the WHL 71 era. Thanks for your comments today, great stuff.

I can’t understand how anyone could vote anything but “A pox on all their houses”. I certainly did. Damn the lot of them.

Morning all. I have sent in a little discussion starter if needed. It wasn’t really what I wanted to submit and was done in slight haste yesterday evening with a few b’day vino’s inside me. I didn’t get rid of people till late so it is all I could come up with.

GB. If it was your birthday yesterday … many happy returns

LB 😀

Thank-you Raddy it was indeed my b’day yesterday. I narrowly avoided being an April fool, but to some that may be debatable. I promised peaches a post this week and had one semi written from last week. Peaches dropped me a line last night to see if I had a post ready and having people around at the house I got caught with my pants down so to speak. Not in the Terry Mancini literal pants down way you understand, but as I re-read it I realised it needed too much adjustment so threw something else together. I will not feel insulted if something better comes into the in tray and they use that instead.

69. White Bear says:

GB 🙂 happy birthday son!

Raddy, my last comment line 2 words 4 and 5?

Not sure if happy is the right word Evonne but thanks anyway. I am at that awkward confused point where I am struggling to accept reality from an age aspect.

72. White Bear says:

cheer up boy! All the fan starts after 50 (Raddy can confirm) and you have to be patient and wait for it 🙂 Being young is hard work

Morning GoonerB, many happy returns of yesterday and thanks for coming up with a post …. you’re a lifesaver, peaches is badly bruised and will be out of circulation (physically) for a while

74. arnie says:

happy birthday, GoonerB. 🙂

motning everyone.

We have a New Post …………………