An Arsenal Blast from the Past No.7 – The Post War Years.

Arsenal_fc_old_crest

On taking over from George Allison, Tom Whittaker enjoyed immediate success by leading Arsenal to their sixth League Division 1 Championship in 1947/48.

1947 48

Tom needed to start changing his team the aging stars in the squad could no longer keep up with the strenuous work routines. He brought in Doug Lishman, Alex Forbes and Cliff Holton but even with the new players Arsenal was unable to challenge for the league title.

The 1950/51 FA Cup proved to be a different story:

3rd Round Arsenal 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0

4th Round Arsenal 2 Swansea Town 1

5th Round Arsenal 2 Burnley 0

6th Round Arsenal 1 Leeds United 0

Semi Final Arsenal 2 Chelsea 2

SF Replay Arsenal 1 Chelsea 0 after extra time with Freddie Cox scoring the winning goal.

Both the Semi final and the Replay were played at White Hart Lane.

In the final Arsenal met Liverpool at Wembley on April 29th 1950 in front of a crowd of 100,000 – although some reports claim 127,000 were at the game.

team in programme

The Arsenal team consisted of : George Swindin, Laurie Scott, Walley Barnes. Alex Forbes, Leslie Compton, Joe Mercer, Freddie Cox, Jimmy Logie, Peter Goring, Reg Lewis and Denis Compton.

Denis Compton was now nearing the end of his career as a footballer, he experienced an indifferent first half so during half time he was given a stiff brandy, in the second half he perked up and played a major part in a sparkling move which led to Reg Lewis scoring his second goal of the game.

Arsenal won the game 2-0 to claim their third FA Cup trophy.

Later in 1950 Leslie Compton became the oldest England debutant at 38 years and sixty five days in a game against Wales. Denis and Leslie were also Middlesex cricketers but Denis was more than just a first class player he was a brilliant batsman and scored over 123 centuries.

1951-52 saw the club nearly win their first Double, but it ultimately ended in disappointment; a series of injuries and a fixture pile-up at the end of the season saw Arsenal lose their last two matches, including the title decider against eventual champions Manchester United at Old Trafford on the last day of the season; the Gunners finished third, equal on points with Tottenham. A week later, Arsenal played Newcastle United in the FA Cup final, with several recovering players rushed back into the first team; Walley Barnes was taken off injured with a twisted knee after 35 minutes (no substitutes were allowed then), and ten-man Arsenal suffered further injuries so that by the end of the match they had only seven fit players on the pitch; Newcastle took full advantage and won 1-0.

Unbowed by the disappointment of the previous season, Arsenal won their seventh League title in 1952-53; in one of the closest title races ever, they beat Preston North End to the title on goal average after finishing level on points.

gun__1367406903_arsenal_1953b

1952/53 League Division 1 Champions

That proved to be Arsenal’s last trophy for seventeen years; unable to attract many stars, the club’s fortunes began to wane, particularly after the unexpected death of Tom Whittaker in 1956. Apart from finishing third in 1958-59, Arsenal usually figured around mid-table. Nor did the club have much luck in the FA Cup – after reaching the final in 1952, Arsenal would not get beyond the quarter-finals again until 1971.

photos

Jack Crayston and George Swindin, both former players, followed Whittaker as manager but could not replicate his success. In 1962, Arsenal made the bold but ultimately unsuccessful step of appointing England legend Billy Wright as manager, despite his lack of managerial experience. Like his predecessors, Wright could not achieve much either, although it was under his leadership that the club made their debut in European competition, in the Fairs Cup after finishing seventh in 1962-63. In his final season, Arsenal finished 14th, their lowest position in 36 years, and recorded the lowest-ever attendance at Highbury (4,554).

GunnerN5

118 Responses to An Arsenal Blast from the Past No.7 – The Post War Years.

1. arnie says:

ha ha ha, exactly what I was hoping for last week. Now it arrives. The Compton brothers saga. 1950 FA Cup. Brilliant. Thanks a lot, GN5. 🙂 Let me savour this for a while. Back laters. 🙂

This is the era when I first started supporting Arsenal and thanks again GN5 for another great piece of nostalgia.

Yes 17 years without a sniff, that is what one could call a drought.

As you see Arsenal never left London to win the cup in 1950 so are the omens shining on us again 🙂

Another great one from the Godfather (G) of nostalgia (N) the 5th (5). Did you see what I did there? Marvellous GN5. I hope these posts of yours are being put into an archive of their own for future reference.

Now that was a drought as Kelsey said. We will never see the likes of that drought again in my humble opinion. For those of you that point to the current silverware absenteeism you have obviously forgotten that the F.A cup is winging its way to us as we speak.

4. VCC says:

Nice one GN5……….I hope so Kelsey.

5. stevepalmer1 says:

May i just thank the author of this blinding post. Arsenal history seems to go back many many years from a dodgy bit of fiddling we entered the top flight, but it has to be said we stayed there. Scullduggery put us in and that was wrong but money talked in those days as well.

Scullduggery is still present in the FA, referee decisions can vouch for that, and my mention that money talks is quite evident in todays game as well. The old addage that nothing is won in the first half of the season has again come to light as the decent decisions we got in the first half of the season has certainly dried up now.

Low and behold the rich clubs have now taken up their position at the top, first half matches was not that good but for the run in everything seems to be coming up roses, now doesn’t that amaze you.

arnie, you got it right – this was supposed to follow the 1947/48 Championship post, but there was a little hiccup.

Kelsey this was a period of time when it was really tough to be an Arsenal fan. The Crayston through Wright years tested the resolve of even the most hardy supporters.

Not only were there no trophies there was not even a wish and hope of getting one plus we played some miserable football in front of dwindling crowds. But we stood in the freezing cold and rain and suffered through it – rarely leaving early – after all we were supporters.

And todays fans complain – I ask Ya!

A stiff brandy at half time 😀

Any chance we can get a St Bernard to accompany Colin Lewin on to the pitch with one of those little kegs round his neck? When things are going badly, someone gets treatment, everyone gathers round has a quick snifter then off we go…..

What I am saying is forget Terry’s Goats, we need the Spirits of the Fifties ……. boom fish “i’m here all week try the veal”

Thanks GN5 another superb trip down memory lane. I met Billy Wright quite a few times in the 1970s and 80s as he lived nearby with his wife Joy Beverley and were customers of my business. He had a twinkle in his eye and a quick dry wit. I remember asking him who he thought would win the world cup in 1978 – he said he thought England had a good chance 😆

10. arnie says:

GN5: Just fantastic. 🙂

Leslie Compton scored a last-minute equaliser in the Gunners’ semi-final first leg against Chelsea, heading a corner kick from his brother Denis to level the match 2–2. Wow!

The two brothers played cricket for Middlesex and won the 1947 County Championship title with Middlesex, making them the only brothers ever to have won the national title both in football and cricket. Wow!

What a Gooner family.

11. arnie says:

Thank you GN5. I am very happy to have surpassed my own expectations here. When this series started, I had very sketchy idea about Arsenal’s history. Now, as I read GN5’s posts, I am doing my own research as well, and have started anticipating what comes next. This is well beyond what I thought I was capable of. 🙂

Hi GN5,

A superb, nostalgic meander into the history and names of the recent past.

I was aware of the names, of course, but never had the privilege of seeing these guys play — and without being too flippant perhaps that was just as well, as it was during a 17 year drought, and we may have played then like the current Spuds no-hopers do now. 🙂

Another little masterpiece, and very welcome, thank you, sir.

arnie, and it is well beyond what I thought an economist was capable of too. 🙂

Morning Rasp. I was explaining to Peaches earlier that I may have a post or two lined up for next week but she was saying that under new A.A rules that only those listed in the section “Authors on Arsenal Arsenal” are allowed to submit from this point.

As I am not in that elite company at this stage I will put them on the back burner until I am promoted through the ranks. I assume that if one is applying for promotion that C.V’s should be submitted, interviews will be required, and some form of ritual will be required involving a man with a dodgy syrup and a thirsty goat?

I note that even the last of the S’s is considered of greater import than my good self at this point in time, so I am estimating that my current ranking is somewhere in the region of the swamp-dwellers from down the road.

Good morning R.A, your credentials as a fan go back a long way as do GN5’s but I am wondering if I am in fact the longest serving supporter on this site?

Hi GoonerB, how on earth did I manage to miss you off the list of authors.????? The trouble is I work from different PCs – I must have used a template for before you joined us last time … I’ll rectify ASAP

17. arnie says:

Redders: 🙂

GoonerB,

If those are the new rules then we need to put up a protest banner.

We want a GoonerB Post. We want a GoonerB Post

If not –

Peaches – Out – Out – Out

Going to cost you a pint and a dodgy pie from the Blackstock Road Rasp.

GoonerB

When did you watch your first game?

1921 GN5.

GoonerB

Now you really have got me guessing when you said “but I am wondering if I am in fact the longest serving supporter on this site?”

That would make you around the age of 80 or even older, and I am not kidding.

So, please tell us.

Well I beat you by a year 1920.

And Kelsey’s first was 1919.

Is that the time or the year,GoonerB 🙂

26. arnie says:

1920 and 1921, thats serious business!!!!! well done GN5 and GoonerB. 🙂

27. arnie says:

1919 as well! 🙂

Look I had enough piss take yesterday,there is only so much a chap can handle 😉

OK GoonerB, pint and a pie it is …. your name is on the list now 😛

GB –

I’ve mentioned my first game on numerous occasions –
    it was Nov 22nd 1947.

I ought to explain. You see I am into all this reincarnation thingy so in a previous life I was watching games in 1921. I have to say though it was far more fun being a female Eastern European immigrant with big knockers in the 20’s than what I am now. I am sure I didn’t order this Tony Cottee look-a-likey guise that I am currently stuck with.

Before football I enjoyed other sports in previous lives. In the early 19th century I used to sail the high seas so enjoyed a bit of seagull skittles. Before that I used to partake in the sport of wife tossing somewhere in the Euphrates river basin.

Wow GB you have a lot of pull on here!
    You get immediate attention.

Ah all is clear now you are related to Mr.Syrup.

I got more attention in the 20’s GN5 as a female Eastern European immigrant with big knockers.

Kelsey, when was the first game you attended – or are you too old to remember?

GoonerB andGN5,

Steady on lads, you could not have seen your first games at 1919 and 1920, it did not kick off until 19:45 — Sky do a good build up though! 🙂

37. arnie says:

There would be nice ads around 19:20, though. 🙂

38. arnie says:

OK, now I am seriously curious. What times of the day were games played in the 1950s. And the 1930s?

RA,

We were some of the privileged few that got early post-previews.
    You see GB is a time traveller and Kelsey used his crystal ball, I just hung on to his hair and got pulled along.

arnie – it rarely changed – 3:00pm on a Saturday.

Thanks for putting me up there Rasp. I have come over all emotional now. Probably still a bit too much oestrogen left floating around me from my time as a woman in the 1920’s.

GoonerB from earlier,

You endow me with a certain antiquity I do not in fact merit.

I am creeping reluctantly towards my mid forties, and I was taken to my first game on a visit to the UK somewhere in the late ’70s, nearly 60 years after your first game in the ’20s.

If you had said, we could have had a whip round for your 100th birthday! What did Queenie send you? 🙂

In case you are all interested I will be coming back as Arsene Wenger in my next life. I can’t wait to get amongst the players and impart all that great tactical knowledge that I am blessed with.

Not too sure how I will react when it all blows up in my face and the realisation kicks in that I was suffering from with a condition of “delusions of correct opinion-ness” and all along I actually knew bugger all.

I remember Kelsey telling us that he first learned how to do the Charleston in 1925, and 80 years later he was asked to do it again on ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ and he jitterbugged instead and got thrown off the show.

Kelsey – OUT, OUT, OUT

45. Ramgun says:

We won the FA Cup in 1949/50 (not 50/51) without ever leaving London and now we have the chance to do the same thing this season.

Oh, you don’t need to come back to realise that you suffer from tactical delusions, GoonerB — we can tell you that now! 🙂

Queenie sent me a new Ann Summers (or the equivalent then) bra to contain my assets and a British passport so that I could finally stop hiding in bushes from the immigration officers. getting thorns out of your backside at the age of 100 is no fun I can tell you and I wouldn’t wish it on any of you.

I know that Redders but my psychiatrist says that I have to find these things out for myself.

I sit corrected Ramgun it was of course 1949/50 –

I get very easily offended RA so lay off 🙂

My first game 1958

4-5 loss to United,their last domestic game before the Munich Air Crash, arnie.

51. arnie says:

kelsey: 🙂

I always had a soft spot for Manchester City when I was even younger .I liked their pale blue tops but it was Bert Trautman who I remember the most by playing in the Cup Final with a broken neck.

Yea RA quit picking on Kelsey – pick on someone your own size – oops I forgot that you’re a giant!

Kelsey – I managed to bunk in at half time.

Another excellent read GN5

I finally found something to get me over the Chelsea result. Take the trouble to get past the add, it is worth it.

57. arnie says:

LB: Heard this on the radio this morning. Fantastic. 🙂

Kelsey darling,

I only tease people I really like – so I never tease the Rasper, obviously!! 🙂

I thought the headline said Kosher Implants,but a nice story.

He doesn’t tease me because he knows that I’m scared of giants.

61. arnie says:

what a game! did you enjoy that, Raddy? Windies are brilliant in this format. 🙂

62. Vintage Gooner says:

Whittaker out (posthumously)!!

I don’t know whats wrong with you lot. Didn’t you read the post. Losing to Manchester United last league game of the season thus finishing also rans. Ok second for the pedants but still not good enough.

And a player rupturing his ligaments on the lush Wembley turf (quite unlike the mud piles they were used to playing on by the end of the season). And three more injuries in the game. SACK THE MEDICAL STAFF AND PHYSIO (who might even have been Bertie Mee).

On a slightly less serious note thanks enormously GN5 for this post. My very first clear Arsenal memory is the two semi-final games against Chelsea at White Hart Lane which somehow made them especially enjoyable and Denis & Leslie Compton as demi-gods (and for the cricket too). I also have the replica old gold cup final short as my bedroom wall was adorned with that cup final team of 1950 thanks to the unforgettable brace of goals by Reg Lewis.

63. Vintage Gooner says:

Sorry ‘shirt’ not ‘short’

It must be siesta time.

Vintage are you suggesting Colin Lewin could be the next manager….and that he might win us the double?

Brilliant, GN5.

British Pathe for 1950 Cup Final

and Arsenal v Chelsea FA Cup Semi replay at White Hart Lane (but from 1952 before the Newcastle final rather than 1950)

Here’s a few photos of Ars v Chels at White Hart Lane…..

Chas,

I can’t thank you enough for the videos – I must have watched them back then and they make some wonderful memories flood back.

Just look at how muddy the pitch was at Wembley.
    Leather ball, high leather boots and mud were a fatal combination, after a game in those conditions you felt as though you had run a marathon and it was a brave soul that headed the ball especially if you caught its leather lacing..

Again many thanks – they add so much to the story.

Absolutely superb GN5,

I’ve been looking forward to reading it all day, and didn’t want to spoil things using my mobile.

Brandy at half time. Exactly how it should be 🙂

I think I said something similar last week, but as a result of your superb summer profiles, these names are more than familiar, they’re my mates. Love it.

Chas

Great vids and pics. Just watched the first, and some superb Arsenal football. Along the deck and great goals. Loved the reference to the FAC being “soccer’s highest honour”.

Thank you.

MD89,

Thank you it makes it all the more worthwhile when its appreciated, they don’t get many hits but that’s to be expected as they are not really conducive to a lot of dialogue.

GN5

Do you know what I think of votes and hits? 🙂

One thing is for sure, shit quality people wouldn’t appreciate it, and you can probably also guess what I think of shit quality people. 🙂

Right, having only just got in, it’s a quick turn around, and out to meet an old friend.

74. arnie says:

GN5: 75 hits at 6PM is I think good going, particularly given the fact that there is no mention, in your post, of Arsene and the good guys who currently play for us. 🙂

75. arnie says:

Chas: absolutely brilliant stuff. 🙂

76. arnie says:

Two poignant Arsenal thoughts dominated my day.

First, and leading from your post GN5, the 17 long barren years. There would have been hope, their would have been effort, there would have been bad luck and small runs that did not continue. The same can happend again. Any great club would go through such periods. Despite that, supporting the club must have been a pleasure. How spoilt are we by relative successes during current times. 🙂

Second, I am both nervous and excited about tomorrow. Somehow, and despite all rationality and Kelsey’s crystals and all that, I have a feeling we will start turning things around. Why do I have such expectations, I dont know, but I do. 🙂

“They think it’s all over” but 🙂

Cheers GN5

Another fantastic delving into our clubs illustrious history. Thank you.

Man, those Fifties boys sure had it going on. Winning the cup at Wembley and then off to “Rock around the Clock” at some Teddy Boy night club

“You looking at my bird mate?” Then a mass brawl breaks out as Chuck berrys ‘Johny be good’ belts out in the background

Yes, I think i would have fitted in to that era. “You looking at my Wig mate?” and then i acquire myself a severe beating. My crys of “Please no. I went to Public School” only drowned out by the blaring of ‘My girl lolipop’.

My dad always banged on how good the fifties were. He told me how when he first arrived in Blighty, he got on a tube and some bloke interfered with him. His big smile reaction to telling this story with the ending of “Wow, thats when I thought, what a great place”, to this day disturbs me.

The Ghosts of the Fifties are Stirring

Interesting you mentionMy girl lollipop as that was the original title and became My boy lollipop 🙂

80. I like the fact there`s a coloured photo of our 47/48 title winning team !……..and the Spuds are still waiting to get a title in colour !.

81. arnie says:

The Ghosts of the Fifties are Alive and Raring to Go! 😛

Terry.

I enjoyed the 60’s way more than the 50’s. The 50’s were quite stark in many ways, England and especially London were still in recovery mode from WW2.

But the 60’s really swung, I would say that the 50’s were like a bad winter and the 60’s were like a beautiful spring.

However the thing that really sucked about the 60’s was our football, we finished in an average of 11th place in the league and were total no hopers. Then Bertie Mee was made manager and things gradually changed – but that’s another story.

GN5
    Thank you very much for your 4:47.

Sometimes I forget that our amazing Arsenal history is made up of real footballers playing games in front of thousands of real paying punters. The videos are scant proof that this is true, but all the more valuable because of that. 🙂

84. neamman says:

I love those old shirts, I have all the TOFFS replicas of our shirts up to 1970s. My dad was a spud supporter who got married in the morning and attended WHL in the afternoon. [My parents were too poor for a honeymoon in post war London]. I have always hated white shirts and probably that’s why I chose Arsenal. Given it was the years of Greaves, White and Jones and their double team it was a brave choice at the time. Lucky me!!!

85. arnie says:

From the video Chas posted: “Much of the credit must go to their highbury team spirit which transformed 11 footballers into a side well worthy of soccer’s highest honour”. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Another brilliant read – thanks Gn5.

I learn such a lot from these posts.

Thanks GN5

Yes, the sixties sounds a lot nicer.

It dosnt really matter to me wether we win some thing or not. I am Arsenal what ever we do,

I respect the club and manager, thats just me. I dont demand, and just just happy to follow the most historical and best club in the world

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

Oh Yeesss. A 5:30 KO. Hoooray.

Sorry for you Chas, but for those appreciative of winds going around to the South, seas with a nice even Atlantic swell, the sun out with low tide at 11:30 on a Spring Tide pushing until 5:00, a 5:30 KO was the only just of me seeing the game.

Tra le la la la la boom boom

Boogey on down to the “this morning” pics (although these were yesterday) 🙂

Motning Georgous

As far as I’m concerned, summer begins today.

Could be the last, I might promise

My name is pervie

Your name is “pervie”?!?!

Let me guess, you’ve had a run in in with a lezzo feminist

Great films Chas. I really must work harder at unearthing the good ones.

Blimey, I get jealous when I see people surfing in warm water, sun and on perfect waves. Today we’re in 5mm wetsuits and it’s sooo tiring.

I’m jealous that you’re keeping fit doing something so cool.

The thought of paddling out on a longboard is pleasant, the thought of doing that in our seas at this time of year with or without winter wet suits….not so much.

Strange to think as a kid I would happily go in to the Atlantic with only boardies and a rash vest, where as now I’d think twice going in wearing a three quarters wet suit in the height of summer.

Morning all

Have you noticed peaches puts up a new post at about 9.30 then says she has to take the dog for a walk “be back soon” and then 13 hours later she pops back in:)

Anyway Micky at 5.51 I don’t like yours,second from the left looks like some Maori rugby player.

Iknow we aren’t really allowed to talk about football but we have lost all our early kick offs(3) and won all 4 late kick offs (I think)

What we need is 9 points from these next two games and that is where I am struggling.

If we could get Yaya,Kompany,DE Silva and Nasri to name just 4 to be persuaded to have Lasagna for lunch that would help.

Mike Dean has actually been pretty good for us lately compared to previous seasons when he hardly ever won with him in charge.

Of course Sagna and Kos will be secrely chatted up to join a team with ambition .
    Iwould play Kallstrom today.

Re AW’s interview about his new contract he is again using clever words,saying he is a man of his word though he has stated publically that he lies in front of the camera(as all managers do).

To me it is fairly obvious the club wants him to stay for at least 2 years regardless what happens this season and Ithink he would only walk away if we had a total collapse,nothing to do with a minority of fans showing discontent.One always gets a proportion of fans from any club who think they know better than their manager.

Having said that I strongly believe whatever happens the fanbase will be split.

I read that Giroud has a clause in his contract that he can leave this Summer if he doesn’t settle in London and his wife is presurising him to go back to France.This is not about his adultry,the papers just make that an exuse.

The sixties were great.
    liberated sex,no condoms, LSD, a man could wear a pink shirt and not be called a poof,the music was great, Woodstock was and still is the largest pop festival in attendence ever.
    No parking meters or parking restrictions in the early sixties, one actually respected a policeman,didn’t have to lock your car or front door but Arsenal as a whole played shite but we went week after week.

Oh come off it Kelsey, Mrs Pants-Down Giroud will be giving him massive ear ache.

After public footage of something like that, anything She says goes.

Anyway if he goes,no big lossas IMO we have the mighty Sanogo.

Her is a question.When we get a penalty today who do you think should take it. I know Arteta has a good record,but I am not convinced that we have a really good penalty taker that can take one in a variety of ways (I still have nightmares about Ozil’s effort against what I consider currently the best keeper in the world)

The only game for me where we were really beaten was at Liverpool,” said Wenger. “The rest is a bit more coincidence going negatively together.

“At Chelsea the game was over after 10 minutes. At Liverpool we were outplayed on the day and there’s not a lot to say.

“But one week later we beat Liverpool and no one says there is a gap there between the two teams.

“You have to accept that it is not always as simple as that in the game. You play 10 times against the same team and every time it’s a different game.”

Wenger, whose side host Manchester City on Saturday, added: “Sometimes when you lose like we did at Chelsea, even if you don’t win the next game at least don’t lose it. That’s what we have done.

“Of course because we are in a period where we needed the points, it’s disappointing. But most of the time it’s like that.”

he does come out with some strange comments or do they get lost in translation 🙂

OK.scared everyone off, back to bed.

Micky,

OUT, OUT, OUT

No reason – just seems like a good idea!! 🙂

Seriously, Micky and Exile,

Move your asses and get out to Hawaii. All the islands are different and have their special charm – doesn’t matter – you have to go!! 🙂

I suspect the vid above was filmed in the ‘winter’ because the beaches are usually ‘white silver’ – I have to get myself back there soooooooon! 🙂

Morning all. At work at present so will comment later once I have been slapped around the chops by a Big Raddish pre-match.

Kelsey i agree with a lot of your 6.53. I like Ollie but I think his style has somewhat altered our play in the last third and I am not sure it is really the Wenger way. I see us more traditionally like Liverpool with a mobile and quick front 3 who can all score while interchanging positions. If he stays I am ok with it but if he does go it could be an opportunity to re-balnce our front line. If we want to get the best out of Ozil I think we need something a bit different anyway.

I also would play Kallstrom but shall not comment too much on my thoughts till Raddy has posted. remember Kelsey we don’t talk about or disect the match till Crystals has posted and we don’t pre-empt the match too much before a large Raddish arrives on the scene.

Morning all ……