Irresponsible Arsenal …… it’s not just the loss of 3 points

I know I should be over it by now but the 6 nil loss to chelsea has ramifications that go way beyond just the loss of 3 points. The only word I can come up with to describe the way we played in that game and the other two heavy losses is ‘irresponsible’.

GoonerB and others have commented on how our performance against Swansea was evidence of the psychological effect on the team of such a heavy defeat. The games immediately after our other two drubbings were also drawn – so the loss of 3 points becomes 5.

But beyond the fact that it is a graphic illustration of our vulnerability against top sides, there is a more potentially damaging effect to these losses. We’ve conceded 17 goals in 3 games to Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea (a net loss of 13 goals). Our goal difference is currently 19 whereas Everton’s is 16. They are 6 points behind us with a game in hand. If we lose to City by just one goal and they beat us at Goodison, we would be equal or behind them on goal difference – that could cost us 4th place.

Everton are a team in the ascendancy and Arsenal are a team whose confidence is in shreds, and that in part is of our own making. It would appear that at no point in those games did we consider damage limitation – no, we continued to play into the opposition’s hands and they continued to punish us.

The game against City is not just another 3 points. It’s our last chance this season to show that we can man up and go toe to toe with a top team and not capitulate if we go behind. A big loss to City and our season will be in freefall and Everton will be favourites to grab 4th place and Champion’s League football next season.

Rasp

218 Responses to Irresponsible Arsenal …… it’s not just the loss of 3 points

1. Raddy – there are comments for you on the old post.

Rasp

I hadn’t seen your post in drafts so I might reproduce my early morning thoughts on here if you like.

In the last 5 seasons we have played 15 games against the other top 4 sides and won precisely one game.

Shard. Thank you for the links. I have tried both but they do not sell antiques – just repro’s. But I really appreciate your help.

LB. Great

4. Shard says:

Raddy

I didn’t realise you wanted the originals.. try

Hi Kelsey, I literally wrote the post in 2 minutes when there was nothing in drafts. Place any comment you wish … no one’s responded to the post any way so far 😛

Maybe we’ve all had enough of introspection …. but we’re playing city on Saturday!!

6 comments, nothing in relation to the post …. I’m beginning to see GunnerN5’s point 🙄

7. Shard says:

kelsey

That stat must be for away games..

8. Shard says:

Rasp

Sorry about that.. going to wrack my brain to disagree with something you said in your article 🙂

9. JanMan says:

Rasp. At least you took the time to write something and I totally agree with you. I am going to take some time off from blogging on here for a while as it appears some of my comments may have upset some of the regulars plus I am awefully busy at the moment. In addition just because I air my views and concerns does not mean that I am anti Wenger anti Arsenal. I love the club and truly appreciate all that Wenger has done, I am convinced he is our greatest manager ever. Just not sure if he is capable of taking us any further. Thank you all it has been fun.

Sorry Rasp

Here’s another one.

No luck BR, plenty of reproduction (Google) but as for originals the only suggestion I was given was Ebay.

Hi JanMan, I hope you reconsider. It appears inevitable that bloggers get a bit tetchy with one another when things are not going well, but this site is here for everyone to get stuff off their chests as much as to celebrate everything that is great about Arsenal.

12. arnie says:

Perfect for me, Rasp. No disagreements. 😛 There is a job to be done in the League this season, beyond the FA Cup of course. All hands on board time. This includes the manager, the team (whoever is selected to wear the shirt with pride) and the fans. Yes, the fans as well. Everyone has to act responsibly. Backs to the wall, put the best foot forward.

On the issue of pride, I will be boring and say this again. I think we have taken this players are players, they are not fans attitude too far. The players are part of the club, the same club that the fans are part of. They are part of the same project. They deserve our support, not without criticism of course. Let us all act with responsibility and pride.

This has been a good season, yes a good season, all said and done. Let us not give the hard work away. Onwards and upwards. 🙂

Thanks for your help with the posters ….

Janman. Please keep blogging. I enjoy your comments even if I don’t agree with some of the content.

14. arnie says:

come on, JanMan, own this site with pride. stay on, please. As Rasp said, times are challenging. Dandan said much the same last night, and Micky this morning as well. Come on, your opinions are valuable, they contribute towards discussion. Stay on please. 🙂

Rasp. Here is a reply to your post 🙂

There is an underlying assumption that AFC are going to lose both on Saturday and at Everton (or am I wrong?)

It seems an anomaly that the fans expect the team to walk onto the pitch confident enough to play without fear and yet those same fans lack belief.

Two hard games ahead but given the run of the ball (unlike Tues night when Swansea scored twice from two attempts on target) we can get good results

16. Shard says:

Sorry Rasp. Nothing to disagree with.

However I will add that our record against the top 4, while poor, isn’t something I get too concerned about. Those matches are by definition going to be tough, and we aren’t a team that likes to set up to play for a draw. I happen to like that. (Not condoning the crap defending at times) So in an attempt to win, we risk getting beat.

Also a lot of those matches are very tight affairs with one mistake, either by a player or by a referee being enough to decide a game. We haven’t always been deserving of a loss, but have lost nonetheless.

However, I agree with you that the manner of the defeats to Liverpool and Chelsea was unacceptable and irresponsible. I can accept having a bad start, but not to throw away the game because of it.

17. arnie says:

Correction, Raddy, not only can we get good results, but we will. 😛

18. JanMan says:

Thanks guys 🙂 However, it is more about my work load than anything. We are currently working to secure some new contracts that will be very rewarding for the future of my company.
    Plus I need to be able to enjoy my blogging and that is not the case at the moment. I will catch you all again sometime soon.

19. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning all (or at least very few). 😀

Rasp, Short (not you), and to the point well done.

Your comment “It would appear that at no point in those games did we consider damage limitation” highlights a problem that has troubled me for some time. Namely, no Plan B! There also seems to be a lack of forward planning in that we only ever play one way, all out attack. We do not have the players to do anything else, it’s not in Wenger’s nature to do anything else. When it works it’s wonderful, when it doesn’t work it’s usually a disaster.

We have played the same way for a thousand and one games now. The playing style is engrained in the club from newest Academy recruit to most senior players. I suspect that Wenger has never even considered changing his tactics, even after nine years without a trophy.

With confidence apparently shredded, a tired and undermanned squad and a game against the best side in the league coming up is not time to ditch the high ideals of Wengerball and just for once park the bus!

20. arnie says:

Do not agree fully, Norfolk. Were we on all-out attack against ManUre at home, or even Everton? Confusion more than anything else is an issue, IMO. We have traditionally played all out attack, agreed. But this year we found new resilience in defence. Now we are confused. 😦

Hi Raddy, thanks for the response 😕

The thrust of the post is in the title, with the added observation that the damage to our goal difference could be crucial …. the rest is your inference.

I’m not happy with the idea that a lack of belief from the fans is in any way responsible for the make up of a team or its tactics although I am 100% for the fact that every fan should support the team at games come what may as the crowd can make a difference. As for the assumption that we will win or lose on Saturday … have a look at the bookies’ odds 🙄

22. arnie says:

We make a big deal of pass completion rates. In our case, a majority of these passes are horizontal or backwards. Is this all out attack?

At the same time, when we move forward in numbers, which typically is in dead ball situations, we are left open at the back. This is due to a combination of lack of pace and organisation, IMO.

Playing responsibly is key. Agreed, Rasp. 🙂

Hi Shard, thanks I agree with you regarding the manner of the defeats. Obviously the games I referred to were not narrow defeats decided by a refereeing error or a bit of bad luck but one or two may have been in the past I suppose.

24. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, new found resilience in defense? Bony’s goal and the injury time fiasco on Tuesday added to the humiliations against City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc don’t bear that out.

Whilst I’m ruffling feathers, here’s the other topic that I could have written about this morning ………

It appears to me that AW generally recruits players who are in his own image …. decent, good people, physically lightweight – maybe even a tad genteel.

Has anyone else noted that the only time he brings in anyone who’s got a bit of grit about them, its on loan or a short term free transfer …. Kallstrom / Flamini / Campbell (2nd time)

We need to recruit a couple of strong characters …. physically and mentally

26. arnie says:

I am an optimist. I care more about Mobbolix odds than bookies’ odds. 41% for a draw, 55% for a win. Utopian, maybe, but so damned what? COYG!!!!!

We need belief, and looking up to the stars! Yes, but we need pride and responsibility and belonging as well! 🙂

27. Shard says:

Rasp

Chelsea at the Grove this season was 2 points lost for us and a point gained for them. If the referee hadn’t influenced the result there, we wouldn’t be talking about our record against the top 4, and the team would have more confidence too. Like the irresponsible actions of Arsenal have implications beyond a match, so do factors which are out of the team’s control.

Take away Villa, and give us those two Chelsea points, and leaving aside the points Chelsea have gained through dodgy penalties and City have gained through offside calls etc, wouldn’t the table look different you think?

ANyway.. I didn’t mean to say that we’re where we are entirely due to referees or even to really bring them up.

There is no way to defend the losses to Liverpool and Chelsea this season. Just terrible by us.

When I was talking about tight games, I wasn’t talking specifically about the games you mentioned, but our record in the big games in general. If you think it isn’t relevant you only have yourself to blame for writing an article which is hard to disagree with 🙂

28. arnie says:

Yes, Norfolk, agreed. But where were we when we celebrated the best CB pairing in the history of the universe? Number of clean sheets, and so on? The true state of affairs must be somewhere in between. 🙂

Thanks Shard, I see what you’re saying … but I also reckon these things tend to balance themselves out over time.

30. Shard says:

Rasp

They used to say they even out over the course of a season. Statistically it should. 380 matches in a season is a wide enough sample size for it to be close to that ideal. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that.

OK Shard, I’m not going to disagree – maybe you should expand on that theorem in a post? 🙂

kelsey says:
    March 27, 2014 at 7:12 am (Edit)

Morning all

It was an interesting debate yesterday conducted on the whole in a civilised manner.
    I remember GIE saying that he thought Wenger would leave at the end of the season though I personally don”t think that is the issue if he leaves or signs a two year extension deal,it is what is commonly known as no plan B that disturbs me together with the fact that whichever way you look at it,the team are not playing well as a unit.I am not used to seeing us hoof the ball like Stoke hoping to find a solitary Giroud with his back to goal and no support,even if he controls the ball.
    No question the two players we miss are Walcott and Ramsey,(who has now has had a third setback to his return) for what they bring to the team.
    If Wenger stays and our injury list is even halved and we buy even two quality players I still think the best we can finish next season is third.
    If United hadn’t collapsed this season we could now be fighting for fifth or sixth which wouldn’t be the end of the world as we can sustain without CL football but the disadvantage of that it brings endless more games of Thursady night football,and our squad depth isn’t big enough for that and that also increases the risk of more injuries just by the fact we are playing even more games and we have a supreme record of long term injuries.

Kos being out for at least the next two huge games is a tremendous blow,but from the little I saw of him, Kallstrom looks strong and quite composed and might well fill the void even this weekend.
    Would Wenger accpt diminished control over everything at the club as it is clear to me that Gazidis and him are not the best negotiators at the club I think this may have something to do with the club not announcing a new deal, or he has already signed and recently tied down a few players to long term contracts..
    I don’t want to keep hearing every season we nearly or could have signed,so and so.

One can’t harp back to the beginning of the season when we were again written off as we were at around Xmas top of the league by several points.
    Pity it seems o all gone to pot and if we get one point from the next two games that would be little comfort.

We need a better balance in what I thought was a better defensive display with the attacking midfielders not dropping so far back,but most of all a proper striker.

Rasp. 11.02. Perhaps that is why Vermaelen is the Club Captain – I wouldn’t want to mess with him and expect his record collection to be more thrash metal than opera 😀

I believe I am correct something like 1 win 4 draws and 10 defeats or 5 5 draws and 9 defeats,anyway I saw the table on Sky Sports last night.

Rasp,

I choose to ignore the 1st two words of your headline, agree with the 1st nine words of your post and will concentrate on the final sentence.

Its not unusual for us to be in a dog fight for a CL spot and we have proven to be the masters of the art having achieved exactly that for the past 17 consecutive seasons – a feat matched only by Man U.

Lets assume you are correct in your assumption that we lose our next two games and Everton win theirs – that will leave us tied on points and behind on goal difference. Then lets look at the games remaining 1st Arsenal –

West H (H)
    Hull (A)
    Newcastle (H)
    WBA (H)
    Norwich (A)

They are five very winnable games.

Everton _

Sunderland (A)
    Crystal P (H)
    Man U (H)
    Southampton (A)
    Man C (H)
    Hull (A)

Sunderland and Crystal Palace are in a scrap for survival and Man C will be as hot as a firecracker going after the title while Man U will be tough. I simply cannot see then getting the maximum points from these games.

So I completely disagree with your final sentence as I believe that we will be the odds on favourites.

36. arnie says:

Bringing in Kelsey’s comments (post?) now. 😛 Personally, I see no problem in going for an all out attack when we are chasing the game. Of course, one has to do this responsibly, allowing time for the game to settle down.

Then, we have a second problem. We do not have enough incision in attack. Not even against the weaker sides. This is where the absence of Rambo and Theo really bites.

We have to sort this problem out somehow this year, and preferably before the Shitty game. I trust there are enough brains and brawn within the team and management to do that. 🙂 The jury is out. We shall see!!

Thanks GN5,

My final sentence was my opinion based on the mental state of the players if we lose badly to city.

Since the start of February we’ve accrued 11 points out of a possible 27. If we lose to city we will be only 4 points ahead of ourselves at the same stage last season and at that time we were 2 games into a 10 game unbeaten run.

Last season was the exception, in the previous 3 seasons our form had dipped in the last quarter of the campaign – primarily due to fatigue I believe and the certainly fatigue will play a big part in our last 7 games

Raddy

I have a friend in Paris who worked for 20 yrs in antique poster dept at their Sotherbys/Christies. She is now setting up her own business. Doesn’t speak English, but I just spoke to her English Husband, and he says they must have 200 odd with bicycles out of the 5000 they have.
    Email/phone me. He’s expecting a call. Haven’t got your email address due to malfunctions but you can email me

Rasp, back asap to comment.

Shard,

There are 760 games in a PL season.

Hi arnie, the loss of Theo and Ramsey has been crucial, that is why I wrote ‘that in part is of our own making.’ as I’m sure if we had those two we would not even be having this discussion.

41. arnie says:

Rasp: yes, agreed. 😦 If the team has not obtained reinforcements, there must be a Plan B (or lack of? 😦 hopefully not). Whatever it is, it has not been seen so far. Hopefully, it is not too late.

Kelsey
    Assuming three “top teams” each season, played home and away for five seasons = 30 games.

Rasp
    I agree – we played irresponsibly against the Chavs. And we were unlucky against Swansea. If the Swansea game had played out that way without the hammering at the Chavs having just happened, people would have been a bit frustrated at two points dropped but there would not have been the same loss of faith.

I know the Chav game happened so we can’t ignore it, but it has altered the way we perceived the Swans game.

I am unhappy with how things have gone, but I really don’t feel things are as dark as most commenters seem to.

43. Shard says:

Haha..Very clever Rasp.. I am collecting data for a potential post, or even a series of posts once the season ends. It is just data and it depends on how it is presented to tell a story but potentially interesting. At least to me 🙂

As for the referees bit. I’m tired of talking about them and people must be tired of listening. They haven’t been as bad as they were for two seasons now but they have still cost Arsenal points, and as far as I can tell helped our rival win points. Though I don’t watch every match of theirs’. I maintain that there is a lot wrong with the refereeing, how little accountability their organisation has and how much impact they have over what is a billion pound industry. But no post on referees for now at least.

44. Shard says:

GN5

Your confidence made me doubt the maths but a 10-game weekend for 38 weeks equals 380 games.

Hi Rocky, I can only think the perception of the Swansea game was different for those viewing on TV as opposed to at the ground. The crowd tried to lift the players but we were largely ineffectual and the lack of pace in attack or even forward intent was shocking. I agree with what you wrote yesterday about the players working hard and chasing down – they did, but beyond that, they just weren’t very good.

If we’d have lost the 3 games highltighted 1 nil, no-one would have minded – it is the manner of the defeat and the consequent aftermath that is the problem.

Looking at the remaining fixtures that GN5 posted I would agree that on paper we have the slightly easier run in but it’s a lack of consistency especially since Xmas that one never knows which Arsenal team will turn up on any given day.
    As much as many say our performance against Swansea was a backlash after being destroyed at Chelsea one can counter argue that so many times we have looked to score than for some reason or another retreat and give the opposition renewed confidence that they can get something out of the game.

How many times this season have we really put a game to bed instead of sitting nervously waiting for the final whistle.
    I still think it’s all about leadership on and off the field,being totally focussed,which we certainly aren’t more often than not and getting the right balance.
    As much as I want us to win every game,it would be nice to enjoy a whole game regardless of the result,knowing at least the lads gave their all, and quite honestly for a number of reasons that is not the case.

Shard,

Sorry I thought you were referring to games in a season not in a single weekend.

I’ll crawl back into my shell!

Rocky

Apologies it was meant to read the last 15 games played. 🙂

Oh Rasp

Or as I shall now call you “He who can always answer the last minute call to arms from Peaches, and effortlessly deliver the goods”. Your fault Pal 🙂

Here’s my take. I like a bit of tension, and have thoroughly enjoyed the last two seasons where CL qualification has gone down to the final game. Ok, even better that it was Spurs, but still, I love a good climax me.

😆 Micky, I’ll have some of what you’re having

Should never have sent you to Mount Wank, Micky 🙂

Kelsey,

I believe that they always give their all – but sometimes its just not good enough.

I keep looking for this enormous sink hole beneath the Emirates – but I can’t find it on Google ?

That’s another way of putting it GN5 but take Giroud, he gives his all but is he really good enough to be our first choice striker. I could name others,but maybe my expectations are too high sometimes.

54. Vinay says:

Lets be honest shall we, how many really think we will beat city? i mean apart from being overtly optimistic does anyone really think so? I mean its not because city are so good its because we dont know how to win suddenly. 2 games and such terrible performances mean that we really are hoping or clutching straws, why did this happen again? The team is running empty and could be a free fall if not arrested.
    Arsenal need a win desperately and a win this saturday can spur us on to bigger things, it doesnt need to be pretty, i am ok even with a lucky 1-0, but we need to win this, not just for the sake of 3 points, its for the sake of saving the season going horribly wrong, please Arsenal, please

Rasp,

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about the fans’ transmitting negativity, but then you answered this very well by pointing us at the “bookies’ odds”.

No-one in their right mind would fancy us against City, even at home, but our hope lies in the unexpected, which let’s face it, happens almost every weekend in PL Fixtures up and down the Land.

Vinay, Micky, we could beat city (or at least get a draw) if we set up not to concede and play with our heads.

Nacho Monreal is nearing a return to Arsenal training but won’t be able to face Manchester City, Arsene Wenger has confirmed.

Aaron Ramsey is the next in line to make a comeback but there is no prognosis on Laurent Koscielny, Jack Wilshere and Mesut Ozil.

However, none of them will be considered for Saturday evening’s game with Manchester City.

“Monreal should be the first one back in training because he is just starting to run in the next few days,” Wenger said.

“After him, Ramsey is progressing well but we need to be patient for a few more weeks.”

He added: “Compared to Tuesday night, we have no new injuries and no-one coming back as well.”

58. Shard says:

I think we can beat City. I think whenever we’ve played against them, even when we’ve lost, we haven’t seemed like a lesser side. I put that down to a similarity in their style of play to ours. They have the better players, but we work better than them as a team I think. We just need to turn up with belief and without pressure, and hopefully the bookies’ odds go some way towards reducing the pressure we’ll be put under.

Now if we” play with our heads” that would make free kicks,corners and penalties interesting 🙂

Of course there is the other alternative.

Janman could buy out Kroenke, I would manage the club taking a drop in salary to 5 million a year, GIE could be the goal keeping coach,peaches the phisio that runs onto the pitch,Red Arse could do the programme notes, GN5 would then do an abreviated version,Raddy and micky could plan our preseason tours, and all the other regulars could sit on the bench.:)

61. wally says:

I think that what Wenger does in the off season determines his future.

Another striker is an absolute must. Giroux has played something like 45 games this year? That’s ridiculous, no wonder his game has dropped. He ran Ramsey into the ground early, 18 games on the trot before he finally got a rest and Ozil was similar. He plays the hell out of people until their bodies can’t take any more. I don’t know if this is down to training methods, training staff….. but to lose so many games to our top players and why needs to be sussed.
    They’ll need someone holding to replace Artetea/Flamini.
    And finally they need some fullbacks.

And the injury problem is concerning

His ability to address these issues successfully will drive management and fan support and his future.

Micky. Thanks.

I would love to plan the pre-season tour. Thailand? Vietnam?

You and me Raddy. Tour Managers. I’m soooo excited. Sex, drugs and groupies.

Kelsey
    “all the other regulars could sit on the bench”. Well, apart fro Chary who’s already there 🙂
    As for your “I would manage the club”, I’ve already started the “Kelsey Out” campaign

Hawaii Raddy. We’re off to Hawaii Baby.

65. RC78 says:

Thanks for this post…Few days ago, I raised this concern about finishing outside the Top 4 but many fellows here were certain of the victory against Swansea and here we are now, doubting it again…just like last season 😦

To be fair, Everton has been a better side than us in 2014 and it would not be undeserveed if they scrapped past us…I am just quite amazed that we would lose so easily againt Chelsea (no fight, no revolt) and play so poorly against Swansea (they were the better side for 88 minutes of the contest) right after…Now Man City is looming and I can only see another embarassing defeat…

Where would that leave us? In deep Sh&t, if Everton wins in the meantime because we would be level on points and I believe they would have a game in hand and I cannot see our current side beating Everton away so the Top 4 is clearly up in the air…What does that mean for us? Well, Wenger will focus on the EPL and will leave the Cup on the side…

My dear fellow Gunners, I am afraid that the pundits have been right about us all along…

Shard

“We just need to turn up with belief and without pressure”.

Get real, that’s going to require more than the odd spliff 🙂

No, it’s bus parking what’ll do it with Ox on the half way line..

67. RC78 says:

Wally –

Full backs:
    – De Sciglio or Abate on the right and
    – Shaw or Nagatomo on the left

Holding Mid:
    – Schnederlin or Dembele or M’Vila or Bender

Wingers:
    – Meertens or Draxler
    + Menez

Strikers:
    – El Sharawwy + Rémy

This would be my shopping list, which I find realistic…

WE ALSO NEED A MASSIVE CLEARANCE

Afternoon all, I have been a bit tied up since yesterday lunchtime. Just spent a quick 15 minutes looking through some of yesterday’s and today’s comments. I did mention yesterday putting together a post but in my defence I din’t say it would be for today (sorry peaches). I may have opportunity to get one in tomorrow if needed so let me know if one is already in the pipeline or not. Well done with the 2 minute post Rasp, the same time to make a pot-noodle. As such I shall refer to you as the pot-noodle poster.

I have been critical of our tactics and set-up in the difficult away fixtures this year and I do think they have been damaging beyond just the 3 points dropped. My personal opinion is that these calamities were potentially avoidable as well. We may have lost all of them still, so the points situation would be no different in those direct games, but I do think that we could have made them games where we were in it till the final whistle so that the psychological consequences and fan reaction were less damaging. I also have that feeling that subsequent results have been affected by the hangover from those games so, just in my opinion, I do think we have squandered some points unnecessarily.

I actually want Arsene to stay with us beyond this season (which may surprise some of you who observe my criticism) but it doesn’t mean I am not slightly miffed with him. I feel the fan reaction may potentially be key to his staying or not, I worry that if he feels he has lost a large amount of the support he may go. As a huge amount of the Arsenal faithful are very sensitive and fickle to set-backs these days I don’t wish to see them given any extra unnecessary ammunition, and I do feel Arsene has done just that.

I find the idea of that banner (mentioned in yesterdays comments) abhorrent, and that really makes my blood boil. For Fcuk’s sake we are in the F.A cup semi final at Wembley and some fans want to unfurl that banner. That will really spur the team. Not fans for me and I would rather spend an afternoon watching the game with 15 spuds than with those morons. I hope they get visciously shouted down and put in their place if they do it.

We have had some marvellous victories and performances this season but also some calamitous ones. We really have been the yoyo club in this sense.

Now here is the thing. I actually think we have a far better squad and team than people realise, even with the key injuries. I am not as surprised as many are that we got to the top of the league. I believe we do belong in the group that should be serious title challengers even before we strengthen in the summer. I might be alone but I feel we have the beating of Citeh this weekend, but for me we don’t have all aspects of our squad covered at present so it is all about the balance in the team we put out. Get it right and I think we can win. Get it wrong and I don’t think we will just lose but may lose heavily again.

Hi GoonerB, that’s a Beef Wellington reply to a Pot Noodle post 😛

The squad is down to the barest bones. I really don’t think we should even be expecting any of the injured to return in the near future. According to kelsey’s comment, Nacho will be the first back and he’s not even running yet. I don’t expect to see Ramsey or Jack at all, obviously Theo’s out so that leaves Monreal and Ozil who may make an appearance in the last couple of games and we can add kozzer to that list too now.

A good read, Rasper, and a view that many would concur with.

It might be worth drilling down to find the causes of the malaise you describe, and in doing so it may be possible to identify another reason than just flat out simple irresponsibility or carelessness, a view with which I disagree incidentally. 🙂

Arsene has been long known for his philosophy of open, flowing, fast passing, creative football. (He might not recognise my choice of words, but they give the gist of Wengerball).

Now Arsenal playing in their prime with this philosophy are a sight to behold and surely very few fans would disagree with that.

The key words there are ‘in their prime’ because we so rarely do play in our prime because of recurring injuries to our first choice players.

So what do we do? We just carry on playing Wengerball with the ‘cover’ players, and neither they nor the squad as a whole are capable to carry on in that style as if nothing had happened.

To blame players for being irresponsible or careless when they are doing their level best to play the way the manager wants – even though they are simply incapable of reaching the level of skills required.

If that is the case, it leads to a different discussion about the squad depth, but we already know that Mr Wenger intends to address this problem by recruiting better quality (and inevitably more expensive) players.

In my not so humble opinion that is where the problem lies.

We are fine with our first team when all our players are fit, but when injury strikes, not just the odd player, but sheafs of them – we are buggered.

There we are Raspy, a dissenting opinion — must make your Post efforts worthwhile!! 😀

Thanks RA,
    I used the term ‘irresponsible’ but in the context of ‘we’ = I was not just referring to the players, I include all the management staff in that as well.

We have the core of a new team to start off next season.

Diaby, Koscielny, Monreal, Ozil, Ramsey, Walcott and Wilshere.

However its obviously Arsene’s fault that they are not playing today and we have no replacements.

How stupid of him not plan on losing 7 players – he simply has to go!

JanMan,

I am a bit late to the party, but can I say that I have always found your comments very sensible and to the point.

Please do not take offence at my next point which is actually only possible to make because of your excellent grasp of English.

You see, there are bloggers of many nationalities who visit this blog, all of whom are comfortable with English, but a problem that can occur is that what they sometimes write is not always what they meant to say. This happens to British people too, and is why the ‘smileys’ are so necessary to ameliorate a sentence that can be take in more than one way.

I have noticed that occasionally you and another blogger have got at cross purposes, when it seemed to me that you were both mainly agreeing.

You do not need me to say that you are highly intelligent, very polite and a committed fan, and your views are very welcome on AA.

Work must come first and I am pleased that your business is going so well — but when you get the chance — come back and enjoy blogging as before! 🙂

… and that comment is directed at who GN5?

Just to clarify: I haven’t scapegoated any of the players. I agree with Micky that we should not even discuss the manager’s future at such a vital stage in the season – we have to all pull together …. and this ridiculous banner idea is so way off the mark as to be unworthy of comment.

Rasp –

Everyone of Arsene’s critic’s and expert blogging analysts.

Just an old farts opinion of course.

Thanks Rasp. Your posts may only take you as long to compile as making a pot-noodle but mine take me as long as it takes to make a Beef wellington; and that is with maturing the beef for 28 days.

BTW GN5, I also think we will secure 4th spot. As you pointed out earlier Everton don’t have a great run in. I could still see us get 3rd even though the other 3 are on a slight purple patch to our slightly dodgy one currently. It only takes 2 games to change that. To boot I think we will win the F.A cup.

Rasp I would add E.I.E.I.O. to the end of your last comment

GoonerB,

At long last I have found a soul mate!

GN5

“Everyone of Arsene’s critic’s”

I’m getting one of my “feelings”. Are you Arsene in disguise, by any chance? 🙂 🙂

81. wally says:

GN5,

A question for you.
    Every year for the last 5-6 years, from mid Jan on, our form has dropped. We’ve been in the race and then had to claw our way back.

Why is our form so consistently dropping at the most crucial time of the year?

Why are we consistently missing top players at a crucial time of the year?

Micky,

I’m just an unpredictable old fart – but my allegiance to Arsenal and Arsene is very predicable and unbreakable.

Now that makes me sound like I cannot see that we have issues – but I can and I accept that Arsene has his limitations.

But I remain steadfast in my opinion that he has earned the right to retire under his own volition and not be pushed out by EIE types.

He will not do a Fergie and leave us and our next manager in jeopardy – he should, and hopefully will, leave us with a viable future and, most importantly with his head held high.

GoonerB

“will win the F.A cup”. Doomer. Take a leaf out of Evonne’s book. It’s “have won” 🙂

Agree I think we’ll get 4th, and I reckon a draw at Goodison would be a massive step, hence my decision to send the Girls out on Saturday. Plus being, I’d rather City won it than Chelsea, and am undecided on Liverpool, although they’re looking mighty strong, and I believe still have Chelsea at home.

Wally,

If I respond to that question it will lead to a circular discussion – so I will decline from responding.

MIcky,

I’d like Liverpool to win – just to prove that it does not only take bottomless pockets – plus the chosen one will be silenced – for a while.

86. arnie says:

GN5: “he has earned the right to retire under his own volition and not be pushed out by EIE types” no arguments there. that I suppose holds for most bloggers on here. 🙂

87. arnie says:

can we hire Beijing Red to start a hooligan club to keep the EIE types away? 😛

GN5
    I think you are highly predictable, not “unpredictable” at all 🙂
    Can’t believe there is one regular on here who wouldn’t want the same as you for Arsene.

Like many I’m sure, I am frightened of change because he has done such a magnificent job, although I realize he will leave at some point, and whether at the end of this season, of perhaps after another two, the end of an epic era dawns.

In general, I like change, but this is scary. Such a massive decision for the Board, despite knowing Arsene will help them in the choice. Still, bloody difficult to get it right and will be the single biggest footballing decision any of them have made, and let’s face it, some of he present board have little experience.

Just for the heck of it here are our total PL records against the top six teams.

Chelsea- W18, D13, L13, 50.8 Pts%
    Liverpool – W14, D14, L16, 42.4 Pts%
    Man C – W21, D6, L6. 69.7 Pts%
    Everton – W26, D12, L5, 69.8 Pts%
    Spurs – W18, D17, L9, 53.8 Pts%
    Man U – W11, D13, L20, 34.8 Pts%

Total – W108, D75, L69, 52.8%

The swing in recent years against Man C and Chelsea can be mainly attributed to money spent.

Micky,

Your last sentence is the scariest of all – and so very true!

91. arnie says:

yes, Micky’s last sentence is scary. But what would we rather have? A board with plenty of experience in appointing new managers? 😛

92. arnie says:

how can England drop so many catches? beggars belief! IRRESPONSIBLE? 😛

93. arnie says:

JM: just to say I loved your analysis from this morning. I have my views, but mum’s the word on this topic at the moment. after the season ends. Perhaps you could do a post? 🙂

arnie is right @2.27.
    Some feel we have had the best of Wenger and others don’t but there isn’t a campaign to get rid of him on here, actually the opposite we don’t possibly want him to be humiliated or driven out by a growing unrest amongst a section of the supporters.

Anyway going back to us hopefully getting two top quality players at the minimum,did you pick up my comment a few days ago that the total cost for Ozil on a five year deal is nearly 100 million, so I would guess we won’t be spending anything like that if and when we strengthen even allowing for those out of contract or being sold together with their total sum of wages.

95. arnie says:

I hear what you say, Kelsey, but why? how do other clubs do it, then. surely, the reason is not shortage of money. why, then?

sorry, you must have explained this earlier, probably I was not paying attention. 😛

Kelsey

I’ve had a brilliant idea. We offer, say Athletico Inter Milan, or whatever is the name of a skint club with a top striker and defensive midfield beast, a straight swap.

You give us your two superstars, we give you Usmanov. You can get oiled-up while we win the League. Pimples.

Paah, and you want me to be Transport Manager, while you award yourself the Top Job.

“Kelsey Out”

98. arnie says:

In principle, I am not so much against oiling up, as I would be against (a) lack of equity within the team, and (b) playing over-inflated prices for relatively mediocre players. We do not have such issues in Arsenal. Thank Dennis. 🙂

99. arnie says:

what Kelsey does not know, or chose to ignore, is that we have already offered the job to White Stick. Contract papers are being prepared as we speak. 🙂

I was just thinking to myself that I must stop watching the England T20 cricket but realise that England will only have one more game 😦

101. arnie says:

start date undecided, of course! 😛

I heard that her dogs chewed up the contact.

Arnie
    To me, every club, oiled or not, pays grossly over-inflated prices across the board. Don’t like it, but we do.

104. arnie says:

ha ha ha, GN5, very likely. 🙂

Raddy: Jordan was OK. They can get 180! 🙂

Micky. 3.33. At least you are a manager – I am just a guide.

106. arnie says:

oh dear, Raddy! 😦

arnie 😦 😦

108. arnie says:

Micky: Agreed, we are perhaps less guilty, I think. But I might be persuaded otherwise. Let us look at some stats at some point.

Raddy: oh dear, I am sorry! 😦 I am watching no more.

109. RC78 says:

I really think also that we must go back to a 4-4-1-1 if Wenger wants to play Giroud, at all cost.

Szecesny – Sagna, BFG, Verm, Gibbs – Ox, Flamini, Kallstrom, Cazorla – Podolski – Giroud

The player in the hole behind Giroud can switch between Poldi, Santi and Ox.

Kallstrom might be better than Arteta or Rosicky (looking jaded)….but I am not sure…

Against, City I would play it ultra defensive though:

Szecesny – Sagna, BFG, Verm, Gibbs – Jenkinson, Flamini, Kallstrom or Rosicky – Ox, Giroud, Cazorla

White stick would say “I didn’t see it” 🙂

How do other clubs do it, good question. In general they don’t.

How can one define if a player is overpaid ? Others like Watford have 7 loan players at the moment from Lazio, is that fair ?

Kallstrom will start on Saturday,I am sure,so say my balls.

I forgot in my Arsenal set up chas for Head of Photography, TMHT to amuse the crowd either before or half time depending on the score and GLIC for……umm

Did you find a poster Raddy?

Arnie, You probably missed it being a mad academic sort, but Evonne doesn’t like the white stick tag given her impending blindness. We can call her pretty much anything else though 🙂

On the bench?

You’re having a giraffe Kelsey.

I’m off to shag a Danish princess, drop me trousers and smash up a Porsche.

That’ll show ’em.

“Kelsey Out”

114. arnie says:

oh dear, is it that serious, Micky? White Bear it is then, without the “d”! 🙂

Ah, but are you on 52K a week Rocky 🙂

Rocky
    Tool along with Raddy and I. We actually got great posting as Tour Managers. I promise the lads one thing, pre-season tours will never be the same again. Could be looking at being slow out of the blocks at the start to the next campaign, but hey, life is for living.

Very sadly, it is, Arnie.

Anyway, back to matters in hand

Kelsey Out.

119. arnie says:

can I be in charge of the evening parties, Kelsey? 🙂

Kelsey,

You forgot to throw in “Beware the Ides of March” for full measure.

I am not sure where or how you worked out your math using Ozil as a yardstick.

Every club has to keep within certain financial parameters in accord with the FFP rules, so how then do you account for Citeh being able to buy; Fernandinho, Toure, Navas, Dzeko, Nazri, Silva etc for a combined £150m + salaries of ( £50m per annum * 5 years) = £250m = £400m combined.

That rather blows Arsenal’s tiddly deal for Ozil out of the water — and yet Citeh are going to be OK, I suspect, because there are off sets to these costs that make these calculations a bit more complex than you are saying!

Sorry oh, Hairy One. 🙂

We can easily buy two more Ozil type players, if we want.

OH, soorry — KELSEY – OUT, OUT, OUT!

That will cost you a fiver Didit baby! 🙂

Nice work RA. Anything to undermine Kelsey’s self-adopted supreme ruler status.

RA

I appreciate that the cost in Ozil’s case is spread over 5 years,but the last thing is argue with an accountant.

I read the full breakdown in detail,so many people got a slice of the cake, the only assumption was that he was on 150K a week though it maybe fact.

KELSEY OUT 🙂

arnie.3.58. No you can’t, sorry but that is an essential part of the Tour Managers job

Micky & I are experts in this type of work.

Right Micky on my next post match review I will point the finger at you even if we win I will find something.

Rocky is going to drop his trousers and then smash up a Porsche.

Note he leaves it to your imagination as to what weapon will then be revealed with which to banjax the Porsche — Bragger!

Rocky — OUT, OUT, OUT.

OUT OUT OUT

I keep thinking of goonermichael on a scooter with two lesbians. Has he sent any pictures across from Vietnam 😉

In Kelsey We Rust

130. arnie says:

ok, charge of the kitchen then. 🙂

Mickey,

You probably missed it being a nutty Tour Manager sort, but, with his condition you cannot say; “Arnie, You probably missed it being a ‘mad academic’ sort”.

But, you could call him White Stickleback or anything else you like. 🙂

Disclaimer:
    Any paraphrasing is not my fault!!

His “condition”
    The American at his most diplomatic 🙂

133. arnie says:

Redders: 🙂 so, I am in charge of the kitchen right? I am good in mixing stuff, spiking and the like. The Chavs may be left fighting for loo spaces, and not enough players on teh field. 🙂

Kelsey asked;

–“Others like Watford have 7 loan players at the moment from Lazio, is that fair ?”

Answer: yes it is perfectly fair because they have not.

The Watford owner also happens to own Udinese, and this year Watford have loaned 3 Udinese players instead.

Kelsey: OUT, OUT OUT!!

OK, if I can’t be a player and the tour managers are not for shifting, can I be the Club Physio?

I’ll show those whingeing, injury-prone little sh*ts the meaning of “match fit”.

Broken leg? Shut up and take your cortisone jab – now get back out there.

I would make the medical centre such a painful and unpleasant place that none of them would ever report in sick.

Anyway, must go… working on my “Kelsey Out” banner… 🙂

Rocky at 3:51:

Having confessed to dropping his pants and showing them, Rocky has had to go and lie down – as no one noticed!!

Oh, he’s back.

Fine, Rocky, I have had a word with Micky, and we are going to accede to your request.

You can be the Club Psycho.

Just threw that in RA to see if you were reading. Watford do have in fact 7 loan players though 🙂

Club Psycho – 😀

That’ll do!

England are fighting back in the cricket 😛

Why haven’t I been given a job for the club? 🙄

Rasp,

You could be the club diplomat, although cleaning up Kelsey’s mess may need you to be more than a mere diplomat. Simple PR may not be enough.

Kelsey -Out, Out, Out.

RA – In, In, In.

142. arnie says:

Rasp: director of external affairs, which is a glorified blog manager. 😛 I agree, this is unfair. OUT OUT OUT!

😆 I was expecting to be relegated to Gunnersaurus

Nice to see my campaign gathering momentum.

Your days are numbered Crystals. Get packing and say your goodbyes 🙂

I’m to be in charge of abbreviated programs, I guess that means I can speak pigeon English, or is it double Dutch.

At least its not inebriated programming – but I may be better suited to that position.

146. arnie says:

well done, Hales! Raddy, I am not watching, honest. 😛

147. arnie says:

chas: 🙂

Irresponsible, indeed, Rasp.
    Man City is now a must-draw game. 🙂

Crystal Tits and Mindthestairs

Eeee, I like the gallows humour much better than discussing our season going down the Gary.

151. arnie says:

wow, fantastic. 🙂 🙂 🙂

arnie. I hope you watched that. Fantastic from Hales!! We live to fight again

Chas @ 5:11 😀

Loved that game!! 🙂

Chas
    That poster is just brilliant 🙂

I’ve only been gone a few hours and the blog has gone mental.

Apparantly Kelsey is coming OUT OUT OUT……Sorry to say kelsey but with that bouffant I was always suspicious.

Rocky is now a psycho physio; could work as I have heard Rocky is of imposing stature. All he would need are a couple of 16 stone ex East German female shot-putters with droopy moustaches as his massage aids and I reckon the whole sick-bay will empty.

Apparantly Kelsey wanted Glic to do something at half time but I was under the impression that he had been eaten by a biscuit loving monster in Cornwall and was sadly no more.

Definitely RA as club diplomat :

Q “Where’s all the bloody money Director Redders”

A ” I have to correspond to your inquest to increased transparancy into the said institutions wherewithall in the negative. Acquiescence is not adventitious”

“Errr….What”

” I have answered your inquiry in the fullest”

“Err ok, if you say so, that is good enough for me”

UEFA National League for European countries. . Finals in June 2019.

These money grabbers are just venal.

GoonerB the Jester, 🙂

UEFA are corrupt?

Shock my sock, said the one legged herring! 🙂

Mmm, Club Jester Redders? It could be appealing. I am not very good at juggling but am an expert in making a fool of myself.

On reflection, GoonerB, perhaps we can make you the club pro — no wait, I do not mean that as in club Bike, no.no but as in club Public Relations Officer – your gift of the verbal dexterity would make you a shoe in. 🙂

We could then make Terry Syrup the Court Jester, he can’t juggle anything other than his tackle, but he would look great in that multi-colored get up, and that conical hat with the bell on top would hide a multitude of sins. 🙂

Peaches is HR Director

I second everything you just said Redders.

167 hits so far and anyone looking in on AA for the first time may I stress might just get the wrong impression.

chas is my new agent 🙂

dandan as chairman. anyone second that

166. arnie says:

watched part of it, and loved it, Raddy 🙂

167. HR? That’ll be tissues and toilet paper then 😉

sorry I am a bit 10cc

169. The cricket was rather good, I don’t know what you were all moaning about ……………I watched Hales smash 3 sixes and win the match single-handedly, easy peasy 🙂

170. You don’t like cricket kelsey?

171. Raddy, here’s one you won’t hear if you’re going tonight …………

172. But you definitely will hear this one ……….

173. I’m on a roll now …………….

174. Shard says:

My internet is finally back..

Rasp/Peaches… this is just to satisfy my curiosity, and to some extent my vanity… but an article I once wrote for the site isn’t there in the archives anymore. Any idea why this might be?

175. Hi Shard

When do you think it was published and I’ll have a look. We don’t delete any articles so it should be there ……. do you remember the title?

I don’t mind 20/20 but to sit through 5 days of cricket in England when invariably there are delays through bad weather and freezing my crystals off, is not my cup of tea.I once went to Lords and everything was all rather grand,old school tie and it seemed that the batsmen were so far away and I really didn’t enjoy it.Mind you that was 42 years ago.

Tennis and bowls for me after football.

Evening all, Rasp you know i agree 100% about players taking responsibility. The problem appears to be knowing when to sot tight and when to attack.

Even ignoring the Chavs and Dippers games the Swans game had the reverse problem. At 2-1 we should have been able to continue playing as we were, after all it was Swansea but we sat back and allowed them to build a head of steam….why?

We know Wenger didn’t want them to, but they did anyway, it cant just be nerves, because its not the first time we have seen it.

Couple of other points that were raised today….

Kelsey just cant work out how its only one win against other top 4 sides?

It cant be top 4 this season as we have beaten, City, Dippers and Chavs in recent years. Could it be the final top 4 each season? In which case it would exclude Dippers apart from this season which would be 1 win, plus the win against City at home 1-0 (Arteta) in the season they won the league, plus wins against Spuds (altho not sure if in seasons when they finished in top 4), at least one win against Chavs but that nay have been year Spuds dislodged them.

Wally you asked why players were run into the ground early on in the season. Like Rambo, Jack and Ozil. If you recall we were without Santi, TR7, Ox, Pod and Theo for considerable periods during that time. I am not sure Arsene has had all of his players to pick from at anytime this season. In fact i wouldn’t mind betting there has always been at least three players injured and unavailable each game

GIE

to be honest I am not sure if it was the last fifteen games against whoever was in the top 4 or it might have been only the away games but all competitions were included.
    Sorry I wasn’t try to confuse anyone as it just showed a table on Sky Sports and I can’t honestly remember the sequence.

GIE/Kelsey,

In the last 4 PL seasons our records against the top 4 has been –

Chelsea – W2, D1, L5.
    Liverpool – W3 , D3, L2
    Man C – W2, D2, L3
    Man U – W1, D2. L5

Total – W 8, D8, L15.

Mediocre at best.

GN5 can’t deny its average, and Kelsey i wasn’t criticising you, but rather Sky for their table as it seemed to me knowing there were some wins having only one in their table must have required quite a lot of number crunching and goal post shifting.

181. neamman says:

I know I am in the minority but I really couldn’t care less about the CL. Its important for the money I realise but I don’t believe we need to beat European teams to be the best. Give me an EPL title any time over the CL. Give me Orient v Brentford rather tha Madrid v Bayern. I just don’t care except for the revenue it brings us.

Neamman I’ve been feeling that way for a couple of seasons.

Although without CL I wouldn’t have been there to see Özil’s first goal…..and what a goal 🙂

183. Shard says:

Morning all

Sorry peaches. Didn’t mean to disappear like that after asking you something, but my net died on me again.

I think it was called ‘Made in Japan’ or something like that, published in early July.

184. Shard says:

I think the stat for one win is for away league games against the teams which subsequently finished top 4 that particular season. Anybody want to guess which team that was and when?

Hey Crystals

On a personal note, I really hope you didn’t take any offense to my little campaign yesterday. It’s just that I felt insulted that I wasn’t offered the top job as clearly I know way more than you or anyone else on here. Sod it:

OUT OUT OUT

Neamman and Exile

Afraid I have to disagree strongly.

For a kick off, without the CL, you will inevitably be playing Europa, which is bad in every way, unless by not wanting CL we should be aiming lower than 6th 🙂

Mind you, according to Evonne, the likes of Chas and Exile are happy to simply avoid relegation 🙂

Seriously, I love watching us play Europe’s best.

Said the man who’s been to Dortmund and Munich.

One for Peaches

Chas

I have bigger plans than that for next season. Binning Emirates, and hoping to go away in Europe for every game. I really do need to stay on side with you though 🙂

Does mean qualifying first.

191. Shard says:

Micky

The CL has lost its charm a little bit. I think the problem is the increased coverage of the game meaning there is nothing ‘exotic’ about it, and the CL money itself, which has made all teams a collection of the ‘best’ footballers, so an underdog has no chance, and they rarely even enter the competition.

Another factor of the increased coverage is that it has affected my ideas of the game. I remember cheering Bayern Munich against Valencia in 2001. I couldn’t do that now because Bayern Munich’s victory over Arsenal was depicted as Arsenal being useless, and I can’t support a team whose success is going to be used as a stick to bash Arsenal with. Basically, I can’t support any other team now because they are all King Cnuts, and we are the only good guys.

But I love that Arsenal are in the competition. I wouldn’t want that to change. 🙂

Wow, never seen the Ox run against Munich again since live.

If we qualify, we’re not going and there are some available, they’re yours.

Smell ya later.

Peaches
    Fantastic clips of Peggy Sue. Can I assume they were playing in Copenhagen last night?

Yeah, particularly liked “Idle”

I thought you’d cleared off to the beauty salon!

Morning all

Micky and chas come to think of it.

Of course I was offended actually seriously offended and that hasn’t happened to me since my last match report 🙂

I predict 6 goals tomorrow teatime so there.

I had. Was waiting in car park for it to open.

I’m a convert to Peggy Sue too.

That pic of Bowie makes me laugh….not a car on the street but they are looking concerned to cross the road 😀

Kelsey

As far as I’m concerned, anyone with as much hair as you at your age, deserves everything they get. So brace up 🙂

Exile

What are you talking about?

There is a car powering right up behind Dave, and the stupid Spider from Mars is looking the wrong ‘king way

202. Vinay says:

Why is it a given that we cant beat the so called big teams/ are we not a big team? our record in big games after 09 i think is abysmal and i wonder why?We lose it in the head than on the ground, I feel sad that what used to be a team which was feared is now become a team which is well cant say ridiculed but bordering on it,
    Why are the cracks which is so evident not fixed? everytime a stop gap arrangement than a solution.it is apparent there are questions but who to ask for the answers?
    Wenger,board players all are accountable for this yet there is a ray of hope, hope because we believe everyone wants the same, which is good things for Arsenal, we need that to be taken far more seriously by all concerned or else this great club may slide down far to easily. I am not sounding dramatic but i just want my club to be stronger in every sense

Vinay

I think we have to remain positive, at least until 5.30 p.m. tomorrow.

204. arnie says:

Motning all.

On the game tomorrow, we could be in for a pleasant surprise. We scored 3 goals away, if we match the same in the Ems, it will need a goal fest for us to lose. 🙂

Lovely videos Peaches.

205. arnie says:

And lovely gifs, Chas.

Neamman, GiE and Shard: nay dont agree about CL. So, we dont like CL because we are not able to compete against the best in Europe, and we call ourselves the best in the world. Nay, not for me. CL is the only place where we show our game to the whole world, and we do well there.

Personally, I am the exact opposite. For me, the main value of playing rugby in the EPL is that it provides the license to play the beautiful game football in Europe. 🙂

What the journos say about our performance against Bayern, I give a flying fig. 🙂

206. White Bear says:

Kelsey – we are not going to collapse at 5:30 precisely. Come on, give us at least 15mins.

Listen you abnormally positive or seriously deluded boys and girl – it is going to be another demolition tomorrow. If I am wrong I will write a post about it

207. arnie says:

good, White Bear, I look forward to another rare gem, an Evonne post, then. 😛 Just to get your definition set in stone, how many goals conceded is a demolition, and how much goal difference? 🙂

208. White Bear says:

more than 3 goals conceded or more than 2 goal difference
    so 1:4 is a demolition, but 2:4 is a bad result. Simples

209. arnie says:

Inconsistent. By your definition 2:4 is more than 2 goals conceded, so a demolition. 5:4 is a demolition as well, because we have conceded more than 3 goals.

I suppose, you mean the following: DEMOLITION means “more than 3 goals conceded and more than 2 goal difference”. That is at least 4 goals conceded and goal difference of at least 3.

OK, that seems too generous for something one can call DEMOLITION but let us go with that. Get writing, Evonne. 😛

We have a New Post ………………..

Sorry shard only just seen your comment to me earlier
    Can’t respond now as on a mobile but I have post brewing on that very subject