Rumours are that Van Persie is going to leave that cesspit. Money and the chance to sate his inner child were the only reasons for leaving The Home of Football and now he has won his title he wants out. Should we resurrect his career?
Great players do not have to be great people (Shearer?) and RvP showed his true colours when shafting us just two summers ago. He had the chance to be an Arsenal great and have his own statue but instead took the 30 pieces of silver. This has coloured the way we look at him because he was, let’s be honest, fantastic in his final 2 seasons during which time he was the best striker in the PL if not the world.
1. We need an additional striker; OG for all his talent cannot carry the attack. The loss of Theo has resulted in us not knowing whether they could really work in tandem as S&S do at Liverpool. Perhaps they can but given Theo’s proclivity for injury, we need back up.
2. RvP is almost at pension age and is doomed to the bench at MU, he needs a gig, perhaps he will accept less money.
3. He remains a wonderful, natural talent with the best left foot (and maybe right) in the PL.
4. Podolski, for all his Goonerdom, is not good enough for this team. He just hasn’t got a fast enough brain. RvP has.
5. Mr Wenger still has a fine relationship with RvP and looks upon him like a son.
OK. Now why we shouldn’t buy him ….
1. He is a traitor
2. He is 31 in August.
3. He earns over ￡200k a week and has 2 years left on his MU contract – so we will have to buy him
4. He may not work well with a central striker like Giroud. It would require RvP to play off a CF, and we have plenty of number 10’s.
5. The players must have been very disappointed with his betrayal and he could cause problems in the dressing room.
6. He will never accept being a squad player.
My opinion is that we should let him rot in Manchester of try his luck at Galatasary (where old players with big names but no pace go before they play “soccer”.)
What do you think …..?
Written by BigRaddy