Wot Not To Buy, Arsène.

Really hate to bring him up again, but remember my Uncle Earnest, well last week dark clouds descended when the revolting reptile materialized on the other end of the phone. Anyway, thing was, despite clearly having been on the sauce and tight as an owl, still managed to inform me that I was taking him out to eat on Friday night as he was staying with one of his “business chums” not too far away.

According to him, his lifetime ban of ever setting foot South of the Border has “expired”. Anyway, funny thing about Uncle Earnest is watching him at work with a Menu. In his 79 debauched years, no-one has ever known him order anything other than Soup, Steak and Apple Pie. That’s ok. The strange thing is, you’ll never meet anyone, anywhere, who spends more time pouring over a Menu. He takes forever, and yet the result is always the same. Then the whole bloody performance starts again when asked if he’d like a pudding. “Do you have Apple Pie?”. “I’m afraid not, Sir”. “Then may I see the Menu?”. Oh God, here we go again. Twenty minutes later, he hands the wretched thing back. “Nothing for me, thank you”.

This all ties in nicely with the idea of “what not to buy”, and as usual, my mind races to matters Arsenal. A few days ago The Morning Crew on here were discussing that both Persie and Balotelli may be on the radar, and I’m guessing one or two of the Natives may have certain reservations, which made me think about who we “don’t” want to sign. Now we hear that Arsene has been dining with Brave’s Agent, so the whole sordid business surfaces again.

I love few things more than a bit of transfer speculation, but am aware it’s not everyone’s bag, so I’ve come up with an inverted form. Who, or what sort, would you least like Arsene to buy?

For example, who was the last Scouser who managed to cope with the bright lights in the Metropolis. Can’t think of one, so they’re out.

Is there such a thing as a Footballing Intelligence Test, or is it the same as an IQ? Don’t know but I’d have thought players like Frimpong would have failed with low flying colours.

Any other traits we don’t like? Biting ears off other people seems to upset some. Not me, as it goes.

Is it ok to occasionally break the “Team Spirit Code” and sign a single minded, solitary, moody individual? The creative genius. The young McEnroe sort. I think it is. Enter Balotelli perhaps.

Oooh, forgot to mention. Uncle Earnest always travels with his vicious little Highland Terrier, Duncan. Complete bastard is Duncan, and hates my guts. Just stares at me, top lip curled back, muttering away under his breath in Gaelic. Makes me think of the kind of bloke we need in midfield really. Or not.

So who, or what sort, would you never want to see on The Arsenal Menu?

Written by MickyDidIt89

143 Responses to Wot Not To Buy, Arsène.

Excellent Micky. Just to hold my hands up and say I just made a ricket with a comment suggesting a topic for a new post and put it up after Rasp wrote…NEW POST…

Thank Dennis Micky has come to the rescue with this fine composition which is far better than what I suggested.

2 early observations Micky :

Firstly I am wondering whether your stance of not turning your nose up at a bit of raw ear is down to the bad Bratwurst experience you had in Dortmund. Is it the case that this was such a bad culinary experience that all other obscure delicacies now seem more appealing.

Secondly in thinking about who not to buy I also have to think about who I would prefer as an alternative. As I obviously don’t think much about that, or transfer speculation, or tactics, I will have to go and think about it for a bit. I will be back in 20 or so minutes to announce “nothing for me thank-you”.

Ooops, forgot to mention the relevance of Duncan

Thing is, when I look carefully at the foul tempered flame furred beast I think, Billy Bremner. Maybe a not, then.

GoonerB
    Does announcing “nothing for me” mean you don’t want us to not buy anyone? 🙂

I say steer clear of hair gellers and divers.

Right Micky, on BSR. As much as I look at our squad and think he is what we could do with right now and could probably push us to the title were he playing for us, that is this year and next year is a different story.

Firstly I don’t think he will be cheap, and for a player over 30 with a chequered injury record? it seems some of these injury issues are cropping up again and he is getting to that age where you are taking a massive gamble on how good he will be over the next 3 years.

He could still remain as one of Europe’s most deadly strikers and help to decide titles or he could fade away from this point and any team that has put down reasonable finances on him may end up with egg on their face. The egg will be even more eggy if it is a team that he essentiallly betrayed and left just when they needed him after having supported his injury ravaged career for years. It could make us a laughing stock so for me no 2nd bite of the Cherry here.

I feel it is time to move on and secure a top forward player that has a few years at the highest level ahead of them, and I will not for mutter any regrets if BSR is still delivering next year.

😆 Excellent rib-tickler of a post Micky.

Hmmmm – who not to buy? Gareth Barry, BSR, anyone ever remotely associated with the swamp dwellers … the list goes on …..

Who to buy? ….. Balotelli (sorry but I do love a bad boy with outrageous talent, and he averages 1 goal every 2 games), Falcao (the chavs have their cheque book out for him), Draxler – I’m hoping the deal is already done and he will evolve into a lethal wengerball playing striker.

Adding to my list above, whoever we sign they should have pace, pace pace …. as well as attitude, skill and ability …. oh and did I mention ….. pace. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if we added a conventional winger who can cross the ball …. with pace of course 😕

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, what a great piece by The Diditman? Sod all that doom and gloom about Death Clusters. Forget all that tosh about Olly in his pants, or somebody else’s, let’s have a bit of fun about who we don’t want Le Boss to sign.

I’ll kick off by adding to the category of people not to sign, and I don’t think I’m going to be alone in this ….Mr. Motormouth, The Despicable One, Jooosseee Moooreeenhoooo no no no.

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

Oh! While on the subject of the man who doesn’t get the difference between tongue in cheek and foot in mouth, the Portuguese Prat has been caught on camera moaning about his squad, “I don’t have a striker” he wailed, “The problem at Chelsea is that we are lacking a goalscorer. I have one (Eto’o) he’s 32, possibly 35, who knows?”

If you’re going to put your foot in your mouth Jose, check what you’ve trodden in first. 😀

Wow Norfolk,

I hadn’t begun to the think through the list of Managers Not To Sign, but I agree with you, Maureen would top that list.

Like Rasp, I like a bloke with attitude, and I don’t see Balotelli as a bad guy in himself, as opposed to your self centred sorts like Nasri perhaps.

Divers, fakers and cheats would top my list over simply bad attitude.

Tight as an owl. Love it.
    Was Uncle Ernie the sea lion trainer?
    What exactly did he pour over the menu?

Number one would be no more midgets.
    I love Santi but we need to get back to the days of The Invincibles when 9 out of 11 were 6 foot or more. So no more nippers for me.
    When I see we might be in for Giovinco, I shudder.

Mind you I might make an exception for Aguerro or Messi.

Definitely no lesbians.

13. Norfolk Gooner says:

So, Micky, that’s anybody from Manure then. 😀

…….or anyone who vaguely resembles Liza Minnelli

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

Chas, no lesbians? I’ve an old axiom which has stood me in good stead all my life, “Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it”. 😀

16. Vinay says:

Who not to buy- all the ones who proclaimed Love to the club and then ditched us for money,luxury and easy ways- dutch twat, cashley, dna boy, nasri, song etc.

Who to buy- Holding Midfielder- Lars Bender, Gundogan, Schneiderlin, Matuidi.,
    RB- Coleman, Pizscek, Montoya

Attacking winger- Lavezzi, Reus,

Striker- Benzema/Huntelaar.
    GK- Casillas

Well this is a wish list but a holding midfielder for me is the most important position we need to sort out.

Speaking of Bremner, why don’t the Scots produce any decent players any more?

No Brummies either. Listening to that accent must surely bring the mood of the dressing room down. Well that’s the effect Alan Smith has on me anyway.

NG, you might be right.
    By the way I wasn’t being homophobic just FFBW-a-phobic.

I quite fancy a Brazilian.

Chas, how can you say that Scotland don’t poduce good footballers anymore. On Sunday evening I was all for handing Robert Snodgrass the Ballon D’or.

Morning Micky (at least it is here) wonderful humour, but it appears that everybody has disappeared.

Talking about disappearing—

All the toilets in London’s police stations have been stolen.
    As of now the police have nothing to go on.

Oh dear I just discovered that broken pencils are pretty much pointless.

I grew a beard this year, at first I didn’t like it, but after a while it grew on me.

Apparently Joel Campbell will be playing for Olympiakos against the mancs tonight. Might be worth a look.

I would agree with Vinay about anyone who ditched the club when we needed them not coming back but do have a couple of allowances in this department.

I would have Cesc back and can understand the attachment to Barca and why he went there. I still think he harbours deep feelings about us and don’t think he would have ever left us for a domestic rival.

The other one is slightly more controversial in that I wouldn’t completely rule out Ashley (if we needed him and he could still operate at the top level). When it all happened I was full of outrage towards him and the book thingy after didn’t really help matters while it was all still a bit raw. Over time I have reflected on that situation and I now feel some sympathy towards him. I actually feel we were as complicit in that mess as he was.

I bet you if we had the Ashley of then with us now at that same age and ability and we lost him because we reneged on a gentleman’s agreement by some £4-5k pw then the majority of the fans would side with him and point the finger at the club. I think he was more criticised because he was really the first world class player we lost in their prime to a domestic rival, so more of the blame was labelled at him than the club at that time. Now we have witnessed the behaviour of Adebayor, Nasri and BSR I feel Ashley’s wrongdoings somewhat pale in comparison.

I am split on Ballotelli. I hope, if we bring players in, that we look at world class or the potential to be world class in the not too distant future. Ballotelli would certainly fit the second criteria. He has all the attributes and ability but has never quite brought it all together in a way where people regard as one of the foremost world class forwards of the moment. If Arsene can get him up to that then he would be an amazing addition, however a little nagging voice at the back of my mind says his general attitude will not allow this final transition.

You always feel with Messi that his primary motive is the teams success and that he humbly recognises the input of the team members around him. You get the feeling that any individual accolades on his brilliance is just a bonus or by-product of this.

I always get the feeling that Ballotelli’s primary motive is for recognition of his own individual brilliance and that he craves independant recognition of his mercurial and controversial genius above all else. I look at him and see a player that would be happier to score a hat-trick and for the team to lose 4-3 than to not score himself but help the team to a 3-0 win, just so it is all about him on the back page.

I might be wrong, but there are a long list of managers that have found him impossible to work with in the long run and some of them are recognised as being very good on the man management front.

27. Norfolk Gooner says:

GoonerB, Cole is a difficult one, If Gibbs was a bit less injury prone I’d say no way! On the other hand he’s now 33, 34 in December, a regular only on the Chelsea bench, third choice for England, behind Baines and our own Gibbs. Would he be happy on our bench? Where would he fit in our pecking order? above or below Monreal?

On balance I’d say no. I expect Thierry Henry will be inviting him to move to MLS in the summer anyway.

GB, this is the first time I’ve spoken on the subject of returnees and frankly my feelings on the subject are mixed.

We’ve had two return in recent years, one a hero and one who left without a some degree of controversy, namely Henry and Flamini and both have been a huge success.

I will always give my support to Arsenal players and will bow to AW’s decision if he does decide to re-sign either RVP or Cole – but I really hope that he does not put me (us) in in that position.

I am still in the Draxler camp and the conversion to striker. He has all the physical and technical attributes to become the very best and seems to have the humble team before all else attitude as well.

Should read “who left with some degree of controversy”

I like apple pie.

32. Norfolk Gooner says:

I like apple pie too, and I like steak, but I don’t think I like steak and apple pie, mind you I’ve never tried it so I shouldn’t be knocking it. 😀

What about soup?

I like a nice leek and tater.

Here we go. On the back of Bratwurst Monday we are entering apple pie and steak Tuesday. Anyway Norfolk they will mix anything with apples from your neck of the woods….

My wife and myself have our own business and the core product happens to be apples – our customers find them very appealing?

Cinnamon, LB?

My wife also makes a wonderful apple puff – she chases it all round the house.

38. Norfolk Gooner says:

Hey Diditman, I think I might have the solution to your uncle Ernest’s menu dilemma.

Next time he shows his face take him to a Pie and Mash shop. He can have pie and mash, or pie, or mash. the only other option is eels, stewed or jellied. Personally I always go for pie, mash and stewed eels with liquor of course. You should save quite a bit of time as there’s usually no menu, and no apple pie either. 😀

I thought someone would pip me to that?

I’m off – you lot are just a bunch of crab apples – no fun intended?

41. Norfolk Gooner says:

Soup Chas? I usually need a leak later! 😀

42. arnie says:

Micky: magnificent, and very clever!!!!! great read as usual!! 😀 😀 😀

Who not to sign? obnoxious deserters and plain hateful individuals. That then rules out BSR and Maureen. Who else?

Most players, I would say. It has to be a special talent and a likeable chap to wear an Arsenal shirt. Period.

43. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, don’t forget, Evonne and Peaches require matinee idol good looks as well as any other attributes. 😀

44. Norfolk Gooner says:

Or should that be many other attributes?

An enjoyable Post, Micky, and despite not having any real answers to ‘Who not to buy’ other than those you and others have already mentioned, I have another take on ‘Who have we already bought?’ 🙂

This is from the Mail Online, today,

— The revolving doors of the Emirates Stadium were set to maximum spin on the day Joel Campbell signed for Arsenal.

It was the transfer deadline in the summer of 2011. Mikel Arteta, Per Mertesacker, Andre Santos, Yossi Benayoun and Campbell arrived in a blur to replace a list of recently departed which included Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Emmanuel Eboue, Carlos Vela and Nicklas Bendtner, on loan.

Few noticed as Campbell, a teenage striker, came and went in a day, in from Costa Rica and out on loan to Lorient in France.

He then had a year with Real Betis in Spain and is spending this season on loan at Olympiacos in Greece, where he will play the biggest match of his career in the Champions League against Manchester United on Tuesday evening.

‘We believe we can beat them,’ said Campbell. ‘Manchester United are a historic team, even as a boy growing up in Costa Rica it was a famous team, but we have a strong team.’

With the glamorous European draw comes a chance to emulate Paulo Wanchope who, as an unknown Costa Rica striker in 1996, marked his Derby debut with a mazy solo goal in a win at Old Trafford.

Later he went on to cult hero status at Manchester City and is now assistant coach for the national team.
    ‘Wanchope is a legend,’ said Campbell. ‘He’s done a lot for our country in England. He always gives me advice and I always listen.’

United were one of several European clubs who competed with Arsenal to sign Campbell from Deportivo Saprissa in 2011.
    ‘They showed an interest in me when I was moving to Europe but I have been an Arsenal fan since I was a child and that’s why I chose them,’ he said.

‘There are a lot of good players in Costa Rica. Many of them like me think only of being a footballer and it was very exciting when some of the most important clubs in the world started to show interest in me.
    ‘As soon as Arsenal came, I wanted to join them and I believe I am ready to play for Arsenal next season.
    ‘I know I have the capacity to play there. I am only waiting for the opportunity. With hard work I know I can get there.’

Campbell is 21, he is a regular in the Costa Rica team and now qualifies for a work permit. He has spent time at the Arsenal training ground and if Arsene Wenger wants to recall him in the summer, there is no obstacle.

He has 30 caps and eight goals for Costa Rica, including one in the World Cup qualifier against the United States in September when he also acquired notoriety for outrageous play-acting which led to a booking for USA defender Matt Besler.
    FIFA stepped in to reprimand Campbell for unsporting behaviour, although Besler’s caution stood and he missed a game against Mexico.

At Olympiacos, Campbell has scored seven goals, including a flurry of five in seven games before Christmas; he has sampled the Champions League for the first time and has shouldered more responsibility since Kostas Mitroglou was sold to Fulham for £12million last month.

Flush with the windfall from Fulham, the Greek champions have enquired about making his loan permanent.
    Campbell has two more years on his contract at Arsenal but his recent performances will spark wider interest if it becomes clear he is available.
    Playing wide on the right, he is dangerous cutting inside on to his strong left foot, although the Greek Superleague has long ceased to be a challenge for Olympiacos.
    ‘This has been a very good experience,’ said Campbell. ‘I am trying to do my best, to do better and continue growing as a footballer. It is why I chose Olympiacos. This is a big team with the opportunity to play in the Champions League, the most important competition in Europe.
    ‘The league here is not as competitive as in Spain but it is a good place for me to grow as a player. We have a strong team, with competition for places. Every day I try to learn something from Javi Saviola. The life here is good, the food and the weather.’

It has been the best campaign of Campbell’s career and promises to end in Brazil in the company of Wanchope, the Costa Rica team’s assistant coach. They are in a tough, exciting group with Italy, Uruguay and England.
    ‘It is a difficult group but at the same time it is nice because they are such good teams,’ said Campbell.

‘We have the same chance as the others. Anything can happen in football and I trust in my team. We can do it.’

Seems a nice young man.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2566901/Arsenal-loan-star-Joel-Campbell-gunning-Manchester-United-Champions-League-clash-Olympiacos.html#ixzz2uLJDHOk4
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

46. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA, can I draw your attention to the last paragraph of my news round-up on 14th Feb.

“Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell, who joined Arsenal in 2011 but due to the lack of a work permit has never played for the club, is looking for a permanent £7 million move to Olympiakos where he is currently on loan. His agent said…‘Going back to Arsenal? He would not be happy sitting on the bench – even in a top league.’”

47. arnie says:

ah yes, Norfolk, anyone who does not have matinee idol good looks as well. that leaves out Franckenstein Ribbed berries? 😀 😀

48. arnie says:

The case of Balotelli is interesting. I do not rule him out. In fact, I think if the rumours of a Puma connection are true, it is an interesting development. First, if Puma pays for a player, this falls outside FFP, does it? Second, in case you have not noticed, Puma is from Bavaria. It is therefore interesting if they are tieing in to Arsenal fotunes. Balotelli, but some more German talent in teh future? who knows!!!! ah well, perhaps Dennis does! 😛

Afternoon all.

Arnie
    I’m completely in the dark on this. Are Puma our kit sponsors next season, and on the other FFP thing, didn’t Henry and Messi do advertising for Nike or similar?

My personal favourite response to any post I’ve written, which also says something about the footballing content 🙂

LB says:
    February 25, 2014 at 1:37 pm
    I like apple pie.

ROLF

Micky. Lovely bit of reverse blue sky thinking.

I don’t want anyone who has a moustache. Or a pony-tail. Or dyes his dark hair blond. Or has his name cut into his hair.

Other than that anybody will do as long as they are better than what we have.

Loved LB’s Apple pie comment and I too am an aficionado. Sultanas are acceptable but definitely no cinnamon. Custard is a must (though Vanilla ice-cream a decent substitute)

Raddy
    Agree on cinnamon, but cloves are essential to a good apple pie.

Chas. Well remembered about that 26 post. Many yuks there, but was a good cause.

I just got sucked into youtube and was watching Balotelli clips.

Is there a stats site that would give you “fastest” or “speeds” of strikers?

There is something Cantonesque about that Mario bloke in the way he plays.

Balotelli has had a difficult start in life and has suffered from racist chants in Italy …..

…….. Mario Balotelli was born in Palermo, to immigrants from Ghana. The family moved to Bagnolo Mella in the province of Brescia, Lombardy, when he was two.

In 1993, the authorities suggested he be placed into foster care. The Barwuah family gave up the three-year-old boy to an Italian foster family, the Balotellis. His foster parents, Silvia (the daughter of Holocaust survivors) and Francesco Balotelli, who are Jewish-Italian, lived in the town of Concesio, Brescia, in northern Italy

He’s a complex fellow, Rasp, and it’s easy to understand why.

I like him.

Quick school run, then home.

I agree Micky. He has the potential to be a player in the mould of Ibrahimovich, he needs the right mentor and environment in which to develop.

I’d really love it (copyright Keven Keegan) if Joel Campbell scores a couple against the mancs tonight

arnie/Micky

You raise an interesting point regarding Puma, arnie.

Puma was founded by the Dassler brothers is Bavaria, Germany, and when they fell out, one of them split off and founded Addidas.

Like Nike, an American company, both these companies are multinational and I would not read too much into where they are headquartered.

As regards FFP it would not be a matter of them paying directly to a selling club the £x million towards the cost of a player, on behalf of Arsenal, although for publicity purposes it might well be presented that way, but [if it is really true, of course] they would simply pay £x to Arsenal on top of the sum they have already agreed.

So, if Puma have agreed to sponsor Arsenal in the sum of £150m over 5 years, in the summer they would give Arsenal an additional £x ring fenced for the purchase of the player. [£30m + £xm]

Therefore, it would have no adverse affect on the FFP rules.

[I have seen no mention of this treatment in any official notice – so you will have to take my educated opinion on how that would work.] 🙂

In the past Arsenal rejected a similar offer from Usmanov (allegedly) to ‘contribute’ towards the cost of a player, which may have been because it may have been constructed as a personal loan from him to the club, in effect, and leaving aside the ‘personal political’ issues of such an intervention, could have had an adverse impact on the FFP as it would have increased the club’s indebtedness or if repaid in shares would have changed the balance of ownership, and Kroenke baby would not have wanted that. [Anyway, that would not sit well with Kroenke relying on his eminence grise to divy up some dose.

Again, there have been no details released on this either, so that is another educated guess.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Cheers Micky

I will take anyone, not fussy. Maybe I draw the line on Eddie Mcgoldrick, but apart from him anyone.

This anyone goes (apart from Mcgoldrick) also applies to ex players. Who cares if they done the dirty on us? in fact its better. The one who returns is always at a disadvantage and has more to prove, and the one who takes him back can enjoy a life of back massages and nagging rights for the rest of there life.

I bet if Van Persie came back he would be brilliant. Probably score a hatrick against Spurs, start sobbing that he is unworthy, and then make everyone a nice cup of tea.

Ps, the reason I say no Mcgoldrick is that one particular game he was so shit I actully thought he was playing for the other team so i shouted “Oi Mcgoldrick, your moving like youve been infected by a Rabid Dog”. He heard, gave me a smile and wink, and then proceeded to zig zag chase an Everton player. Not for the ball, he probably wanted to take a bite out of his leg.

dose = dosh.

Terry,

What are you doing giving McGoldrick back massages and nagging rights – or has he taken you back? 🙂

Rasper,

Given Kevin Keegan’s failure to get what he wanted, I suspect you have put the mockers on our man Joel’s chances of scoring now!! 😦

Personally, I would not want such a disruptive player as Balotelli anywhere near our team.

If that snake Maureeenyo could not sweet talk him at Inter, I doubt anyone else could, or would want to take the risk.

Anyway if he does move I do not think he will come back to the UK – unless the Spuds go bonkers and buy him. 🙂

And then it’s goodbye from him.

Hi Redders, we have bought troublesome players before – but it has usually been a bit of a failure I must admit. Adebarndoor was known to be hard work and Anelka was a moody so-and-so.

IMO Balotelli is the Italian Bendtner.

Evening all

I think a character reference is just as important as the quality of player.
    We appear to have unity in the squad for the first time for a number of years and players who hold the club to ransom or just use us as a stepping stone just to get a better deal elsewhere are not required, or those who say the club lacks ambition.We all know who they were.
    I am not sure if AW really needs all that hassle anymore,that’s why I think we bought Ozil.

No doubt we will need to add to the squad a maximum of three players possibly four if Sagna leaves.

Nice post Rocky as it brings out debate.

Hi Time Lord (aka Kelsey)

Rocky does produce nice Posts – but this one was written by the Didit man. 🙂

I know that RA but I was commenting on Rocky’s next post, you know I am physic 🙂

Thanks RA for the Puma stuff. Very interesting.

Raddy, He is sooo much cooler than Nic, and that matters 🙂

Yikes, when I say cooler, I’m not biging up bling gangsta, I like his eccentricity and shooting confidence/ability.

Agree with Kelsey, I can’t see AW going near him. However what triggered my initial interest was when Chas reminded me he was only 24, and therefore, maturity remains a remote possibility.

Micky, any body who went to the Arsenal 1 City 0 game a couple of years back will tell you all you need to kow Ballotelli

I know hes only young and all that, but his behaviour that day was a complete joke. He spent the whole afternoon trying to break our players legs.

Can some one really mature from that kind of extreme behaviour? Personally I have big doubts.

Well, I worry a lot about you, Terry, and I am so pleased you have something that is big – even if it is only doubts. 🙂

74. arnie says:

Thanks, Redders and Micky. Yes, the Balotelli-Puma nexus is interesting. It may all be twatter bollix, of course! 😀 😀

hahaha, no need to worry about me Redders.

If tonight though I have another nightmare about Frankie Howards big issue, then I will have a big problem. hahaha

Transplant
    Ouch, didn’t know that, and your “body” makes a strong case.
    I will remain a sucker for the entertainer though.
    Hey, maybe people would stay in their seats until the end in expectation of the unexpected.

Thankfully Mario has no chance of gracing THOF. Good player but not as good as he thinks he is.

Looking forward to seeing Campbell this evening

Evening all, apologies for two days of absence, and for not putting GN5s post in drafts yet, will do once I’ve finished this comment.

Who not to sign? Well frankly I have no idea who to sign….but let’s get one thing straight, it’s not my job to.

I heard a name on the radio today a name many suggested we had missed out on, a name who would apparently have helped us last season. He has recently been signed by Hull and appears to be having a good effect. Jelavic. Admittedly he ain’t a bad striker….but when he arrived and started well at Everton but this is where te issue lies. A player in form does not necessarily make a good investment, we new consistent players who produce week in week out at their maximum. To compete at the top of the table you need a selection of players who can produce a good consistent standard and also have runs of form that lifts them and the team higher.

It’s that kind of info that only scouting players for good periods of time can identify.

79. arnie says:

Top comment, GiE. Yes, “A player in form does not necessarily make a good investment”. I take your point about consistency. But I also think particularly because a player has to adjust to the team, and this takes up to a year even for the likes of Ozil. Then, a good signing is a player who would adjust to teh team and perform well in 6 months to a year’s time. Given the short period that someone is at his peak, this is most certainly not a top player now. 😀 😀

Campbell scores!!! O(2) v Manure (0)

Like the looks of Campbell. Anyone who scores against the Mancscum is alright by me

82. Whoever called Joel Campbell to score tonight, well done. I think de Gea should have done better but hey ho mankscum 2 down is pretty funny.

Chary and Irish being bitchy about bsr on twitter is quite funny too 🙂

GIE/arnie,

I do not understand the logic, unless like shares you do not want to buy at their peak — buy the shares on the way up to get better value for money?

So, do not buy players at their peak for inflated prices when the only way is down – buy players on the way up, at a good value price, when he is only going to get better.

Is that what you mean? 🙂

Where do we get such gems?? 🙂

I miss Irish, one of my all time favourite bloggers – now gone twitchy!! 🙂

85. She’s great RA but her language is appalling 🙂

86. Do you have a twitter account Redders?

87. No bad language here

88. Did anyone offer a post for tomorrow or Thursday?

I don’t have a twitter account Peaches.

When I remember to do so, I have a look at Beijing Red, but it has never appealed to me.

There is a danger that I would become addicted and turn into a bigger monster than I already am. 🙂

Look at CharyB, Gooner Michael and irish — they desert the blog and wade in knee deep! 🙂

I seem to recall GoonerB was threatening to do something, Peaches – but I might be mistaken.

RA my first post took too much disassembling…I was on an iPhone and typing hurriedly.

My point wasn’t about players on the up in terms of their career trajectory but rather those who have a brief period of exceptional form only to ebb away a month or two later and return to average.

Whilst at that level they are used as a stick to beat the club with if we haven’t signed anyone, but you don’t hear their names mentioned much when the player has dipped away.

Same with managers the clamour for Laudrup has certainly dwindled, as unsurprisingly has the clamour for Moyes. 🙂

Not many voices made a case for Martinez replacing Wenger (a view I have held since seeing his early Swansea sides and the football they played). But fans are led by short term results and it is why the picking of players and managers is left to those not so easily swayed by short term plans.

Peaches I’ll get GN5s post in drafts

93. But they are very funny on twitter 😃

Not watching the Utd game. Hope to watch the highlights but based on Chas’s video above Campbell could save us a few pounds. His career loan tracking also seems to have been going well with increasing amounts of game time and importance to the team at each loan club.

Peaches, have a look at the last comment I put up this morning on the last post. i wouldn’t be able to compile anything very long but it could be a theme for tomorrow unless you have something else.

Ahh, GIE to the rescue.

96. GoonerB – maybe your suggestion could be expanded for Thursdays post ……… have you got time?

97. arnie says:

Redders and GiE: I am saying precisely that. Players on the up who will peak about the time they gel with the team. That is the principle. Difficult to predict, yes, impossible, perhaps not. That is why teams sign multiple players in the hope 1 or 2 of them click. I am glad I do not have to do this, but hey, there’s Wenger and his crew! And they do a pretty good job, in my view, without being saddled with bench warmers. 😀 😀

98. arnie says:

ARSENAL HAVE BETRAYED US LOANING A PLAYER TO THESE GREEK MINNOWS. THEY SHOULD BE FUKING ASHAMED AS THEY HAVE DAMAGED THE #BPL BRAND!!— Beijing Red 4 Lyf (@Moyes_Must_Go) February 25, 2014

@CheboSheldon: get to know your rules u dumb cheese ball! It's a 2 leg game!!” FUK OFF PHARELL, I NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW— Beijing Red 4 Lyf (@Moyes_Must_Go) February 25, 2014

99. arnie says:

@HirdySWFC: since you're the biggest fan and seem to know everything, why aren't you at the match?” I ON HOOLYGAN FLIGHT BAN LIST— Beijing Red 4 Lyf (@Moyes_Must_Go) February 25, 2014

So, then, anyone watch Utd, and if so, how good was Joel Campbell, although on the radio yesterday I think his agent was saying he would not return to Arsenal as bench warmer.

If he can score goals like that regularly he won’t be a bench warmer. Although didn’t really here his name much during rest of match.

First hurdle is obviously work permit….although think we may be able to get a Special Talent Visa (we got one for Ryo this season and you only get one a year I believe).

Aaa ah having just flicked up through comments I see RAs post from the Daily Fail which suggests he is now eligible for work permit…..excellent news….although not for Benik Afobe and Chuba Akpom

Hi Exile
    During game the other day, you quit streams because you couldn’t work Sopcast. Can you not watch Flash sites because you’re an Apple Man, or is that no longer true.
    When I go on Wiziwig, I go for the Flash site with highest kbs, normally about 400, but enviously see sites with 1000+ but they are Sopcast and so on.
    I get about 18meg download and am on PC. Should I switch from Flash sites for better images?

My experience of the sopcast streams is that they’re much harder to get on than they used to be.
    Once you’re on they’re very good and reliable but I’d stick with flash if I were you.
    Is LOF still running and did you ever sort your login?

Morning

my first impression of Campbell is that he is a big lad and wasn’t one of the their better players,yet full of energy.The goal came out of the blue and the swerve on the ball was incredible.

As Rasp said that we only took one point off United is ashame, if we were playing them now I am sure we would do better.

The Greeks are an inferior side but their energy and chasing every ball paid dividends and United look a shadow of the team they were.RVP is already complaining and I bet deep down he is jealous of Rooney’s deal.His whole body language is wrong.
    Moyes was apponited with the blessing of SAF and Bobby Charlton,but I would wager he is gone by the end of the season and Klopp gets the job.

kelsey. I will take that wager. I bet you LB’s sofa

I thought Campbell played well and gave Evra a tough time. Is he a right winger or a CF? If the former we are well stocked and that is where he played last night.

What it showed (once again) is the cost of the loss of Theo who would have destroyed the ageing Evra

LOF still works and their HD stream is very good

LB’s sofa , come on make it more interesting.

I don’t think he is either but as you saw he played predominately on the right wing.

That Cleverley has an unfortunate name and Ferdinand needs to be put out to graze.

111. evonne says:

Micky – I just read your post, hilarious 🙂 I love your bastardly uncle and his dog, great characters! Life would be ever so boring without guys like Earnest and Duncan.

I don’t know how can you start speculations already, but hey, you are usually completely off the mark, so I guess no harm done 🙂

A NO NO for me are R$P and John Terry, anybody else I could probably stomach. No more midfielders though, please ffs we need back up for Per-Koz and a shooter.

There was an interesting debate on the radio yesterday – someone said that it was madness not to offer at least £50mil for Suarez but spent £42mil on Ozil. For the sake of another £10mil we could have had a league wrapped up. I am afraid I hop along with this way of thinking.

LOF is good but they aren’t taking any new customers but I did notice the Sunderland match had about a three minute delay.

The ex pats in Spain are now fecked as Sky have changed all their signals/satellite dishes and one can’t even get the terrestial channels.

113. evonne says:

LOF is awful – hiccups all the way. I tend to go to Rojadirecta and chose a Russian stream, superb

My sofa is taking a battering this morning. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see Campbell play. It all sounds very interesting.

I am off to Girona to cycle with 10 friends, these things are not meant to be competitive but put that amount of men on bikes at the foot of a mountain and watch the testosterone levels rise.

LB, where do you hope to come out of 11? 🙂

LB. Enjoy the ride.

kelsey. You choose the bet. I think MU are highly unlikely to sack Moyes but he could easily resign – why take the amount of stick he receives from the glory-hunting fans?

How can they blame Moyes when it is so clearly SAF’s team? No good saying “how can Moyes play Cleverley, Smalling etc etc” when there is no-one else to play and the MU board only sanction the signing of Mata.

But patience isn’t part of the Me Generation’s character.

evonne. I have no problems with LOF, though as kelsey says it is a couple of minutes behind

118. evonne says:

can’t understand that Raddy, mine is pants. It’s to do with the fact that there are more Arsenal fans watching in UK then in Denmark.

I am glad you didn’t read all the comments, otherwise you would not be talking to me 🙂

evonne. I will always talk to you 😀

Isn’t kelsey watching in the UK?

Ozil was never publically on the radar until we appeared to suddenly sign him once the Bale transfer went through and as I stated before RM’s bankers insisted that they recoup part of the money,so one can only imagine from what we have read that Suarez was the first choie and by all accounts the negotiations weren’t handled very well
    Raddy resigned or made to resign is the same as being sacked.

Strang that not one PL team has scored so far in the CL knockout stages.

123. evonne says:

Chas – who knows, the man is an enigma

No point laughting at ManU, they lost away. We lost 2:0 at home. I know, I know, 10 men against best team blah blah blah….we still are worse off than the Mancs

yes i am chas but my friends over there have told me and rip off so called Sky installers are charging upwards of 1200 euros for a new box.

I meant in regard to watching LOF, kelsey.

No point laughing at anything, evonne.
    Just suck up the misery, less disappointment that way.

Even cows are happy sometimes…………

You can sign up anyehere chas to LOF .I just changed my details when my subscription needed renewing.

kelsey,
    evonne said her LOF was shite because she was in the UK, but yours is fine.
    The reason for asking in the first place was that Micky has a valid login which works for Raddy but not for him. I wondered if he’d re-visited the problem as he was asking questions about streams. That was all.

Morning chas – thanks, I love the happy cows vid, I hope the idea catches on in this country

132. dandan says:

Chas I Have LO footy in the uk on my PC, very good. Also as you are allowed two devices my son has my login details and uses it on his laptop as he travels the UK’s hotels and has no problems, we then twitter each other as we watch the matches in our different locations.

133. evonne says:

monster – are you saying that I am a miserable cow??

134. chas !

Looking at that “Full-Kit Wankers site….there seems to be a more than a high percentage/majority of Bin Dippers on there !. Why don’t they just call it….” Full-Kit Scousers ! “……..Scouser/Wanker…same meaning !.

Morning all …… sorry for the delay …..

…. New post ……