Arsenal’s Death Cluster 1 – The Verdict

The dust has settled on Death Cluster 1.

We have played Liverpool away in the league and at home in the Cup. We have entertained the reigning champions of England and of Europe.

A busy week or two, all in all.

When I wrote about our two Death Clusters in late January I said this: “Let’s look at Death Cluster 1: if we win or even draw at Liverpool then beat ManUre at our place (getting that particular Bale off our back at the same time) the confidence and togetherness in the squad – which is already excellent – will get even better.

“Then we have the 5th Round of the FA Cup… Then it’s Munich at home. If we avoid defeat in that game we will have come through Death Cluster 1 in great shape. Crucially, good performances and/or results against Liverpool, ManUre and Munich will put us in great shape to face Death Cluster 2.”

As is my wont I was overoptimistic about our prospects.

Far from “winning or even drawing” up at Anfield in the league, we didn’t even manage a defeat (by which I mean a regulation, acceptable defeat by one or two goals). Instead we had our posterior handed to us on a platter

Next up was Manchester Untied at THOF. In most circumstances we would have beaten this current ManUre team who have fallen faster than Felix Baumgartner*, but after the Liverpool debacle the emphasis was on not losing (as I advocated in a Post before the game).  The 0-0 was frustrating for us supporters but made sense in context.

Then came ‘Pool in the FA Cup – a game in which we managed to dish out sweet revenge.

Against Bayern – well, we went toe to toe with them until the Szczesny sending off under a rule which is so monumentally stupid that even Michel Platini feels it’s wrong. After that we did well to keep it to 0-2.

If I just look at the results from DC1, it’s a pretty uninspiring picture (like most art since Claude Lorrain hung up his brushes a little before 1700).  Played 4, won 1, drawn 1, lost 2. And yet…

In sport, as in life, context is all. The problem with DC1 is that we started so badly that subsequent results can only fairly be judged in light of the drubbing at Anfield. Were it not for Anfield, I’m sure we would have beaten the red Mancs. But after the Scouse hiding it became more important to NOT LOSE than to WIN when we entertained the Band of Moist.

In any case, we regrouped enough to beat the Scousers in the Cup and to start against Bayern as if we were the Champions of Europe, not them.

Strangely enough, I feel that we have exited DC1 in very good shape. Our thrashing of Sunderland on Saturday reinforces that belief.

The league game at Liverpool was a huge kick up the Arsenal and I believe our team has learnt from it.  They will also have taken heart from the performance against Bayern, despite the result.

Next we have Stoke away (no pushover, but I completely expect us to come away with three points) then we start on Death Cluster 2:

Saturday March 8th: Everton (H) – FA Cup 6th Round.

Tuesday March 11th: Bayern Munich (A) – ECL

Sunday March 16th: Spuds (A) – EPL

Saturday March 22nd: Chelsea (A) – EPL

Saturday March 29th: Man City (H) – EPL

I’m no mystic, but I’m 100% confident about how these games will play out. The results will be as follows:

Everton – we win.

Bayern – we get knocked out (probably with a draw).

Spuds – we win.

Chavs – we win.

Man City – we draw.

And if I’m right, the title becomes ours to lose.

The one result I’m most sure of is the game at the home of the jumped-up, money-bags outfit in West London. In the run-up to that game we will hear a lot about how no Wenger team has ever beaten a Mourinho team; and about Chelsea’s amazing home record. Well my friends, jus lap it up and bite your tongue. This is one game we will not lose and will almost certainly win.  You may doubt me now, but bookmark this page and revisit it after the Triumph at the Bridge.

So to summarise – Death Cluster 1 turned out not to be the tough, grinding test of our footballing abilities that seemed likely. Instead it became a test of our character. In the first game we played a Liverpool team for whom everything that could go right did go right (including opening the scoring with an offside goal).  I watched the Scousers against Swansea yesterday and they were lucky to get a 4-3 win. Unlike in the game against us, most of their efforts on goal were inaccurate or gave the ‘keeper a decent chance. Against us, they just had one of those days where everything went right.

But the way we rebuilt our character after the Liverpool defeat was impressive and it leaves us in good stead for the remainder of the season.

There is something strange about this EPL season. No-one fancies us, but it appears that we fancy ourselves. And when it comes down to it, that’s the only thing that really matters.

I never though I’d catch myself saying this, but maybe Terry Mancini Hair Transplant is being a bit conservative about our prospects…

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Up and Jumping…

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f-K-XnHi9I

RockyLives

128 Responses to Arsenal’s Death Cluster 1 – The Verdict

Well that post has just re-lifted my excitement and enthusiasm. Thanks for that Rocky.

Thanks Rocky, I fancy myself 😆

Of the results in DC1, I am most disappointed by the draw against manure. I get the ‘we were both playing not to lose’ argument but surely we missed the chance to take the initiative and show we weren’t afraid of anyone. As far as the loss to Bayern is concerned, I agree with you, on the basis of our performance up to the sending off, I would have predicted nothing less than a draw.

But even after a slightly disappointing DC1, we are still very much in the chase, we just need to up our level for the rest of the season and maybe we can be champions.

3. Vinay says:

The cluster in round 2 will be determining or will be detrimental to us, yet as you rightly say this team believe in themselves and how often do we say that of our team!!!!!!!!1.
    Arsenal need to win say 9 games in the next 11, this includes everton, spuds and chavs away, city home, can we??? well worry for me is everton and chavs, spuds it depends on the day, it always is an open game and that gives us an even chance. I reckon there will be a final twist in the tail and that may well come from pool, united and norwich, pool will play city and chelsea at anfield, united need to play city at home, noriwch last 4 games are against the top 4, what an ending this just maybe, reckon this will be going to the final day and winner takes all, we play noriwch away on our final day.

Rocky
    “pretty uninspiring picture…like most art since Claude Lorrain hung up his brushes a little before 1700”

And there was me thinking I was the master of generalizations. Love it 🙂

I agree with Rasp, the Utd draw was the most disappointing, because we had no excuse like a goalkeeper not managing to stay on the field.

Not quite sure why that Felix Jump clip was tagged on, but it certainly delayed a comment by 14 minutes.

5. Shubham says:

Good post Rocky. Optimism and hope is our (fans) birthright. It will be amazing, if things pan out the way you anticipate. A win at the bridge will be simply amazing. That will make motor mouth Moaninho zip his gob for a while. I have a feeling though it will be a 2-2 draw. Anyway, lets get the job done by taking 3 points of the Orcs first. By the way, when will the tables on the site be updated?

Rocky

I don’t have a crystal ball but the three middle games hold the key for me.
    Bayern away will be a very hard task and though one takes one game at a time regardless of the result though I must add the most optimistice amongst us fell me ight go very close is followed by our trip to Spurs. A draw thee may well be enough but Mourinho just knows how to beat Wenger and to me that will be the hardest game to win.
    We are more than capable of beating Everton and AW should prioiritise that came being so close to Wembley and City at home is a winable game.

Glad to see Rosicky has got a new deal,just hope we can come to an arrangement with Sagna, a player who can cover in three positions.

try.arghh

I must add the most optimistic amongst us feel we might go very close but is followed by our trip to Spurs.

8. Danish Gooner says:

You forget Everton away in the League.

Well, Rocky, as my friend, I feel the need to be gentle with you, and so can I just say that – your Death Cluster 1 predictions were utter rhubarb and if I had my way, you would be smeared all over with camel dung and given a good seeing to by Terry’s rogering goats.

I was going to dump your next set of Death Cluster 2 predictions in favour of Kelsey’s – after the event, pre-match forecasts – until I read this from the hirsute crystal ball gazer: ” the most optimistice amongst us fell me ight go very close is followed by our trip to Spurs” – and realised he is a follower of the mystic maharaja arnie, who believes in throwing words in the air and where they land he could not care, and so, I will, in this instance, stick with you, on the strict understanding that any repetition of your calamitous DC1 predictions will incur my wrath!!

That being said, I still find myself in thrall to your undoubted mastery of scintillating prose. 🙂

RA – But is he forgiven, or just damaged goods?

GN5,

He is a wounded critter, and I a rubber duck to hurl at him if he fails to perform (improve his predictions, for the sake of clarity) 🙂

And if he is really woeful, he will get an hour of 2 to 1 with arnie and Kelsey!! 🙂

In trying to ensure I typed ‘rubber duck’ and not ‘robber dick’ I missed out ‘have’. Better that than the former! 🙂

Did you know that if AA were canvassed to find out who received the most Valentine cards this year, I would bet that Rasper would be the clear winner.

The clue is in his narcissistic confession @ 10:39 above:
    “Thanks Rocky, I fancy myself!”
    The volume of Valentines he sends himself costs many a penny!! 🙂

Toodle pip!

Gee you come on and monopolize the board and the “Toodle pip” off. You don’t even give poor old and much maligned Rocky a chance to defend himself or is it the use of the “duck” for cover defensive maneuver

16. arnie says:

Great stuff, Rocky. The way you packed in the bad news at the beginning and ended with the good is just fantastic. Just the right amount of optimism. 😀 Ah yes, the Ghosts of the Thirties …. 😀 😀 😀

I thought Rocky’s post was very well thought out and showed just the right level of optimism but sadly it looks like the board has gone to sleep!

Wakey wakey everyone.

I could fill in with some one line puns – but why should I bother when there’s nobody around to ignore them?

So I will punt on that idea.

19. arnie says:

The general level of irritability appears to have shot through the roof. Have to keep spirits high. Hence I have decide to take a break. Perhaps largely morning banter for me for the moment.

GN5: I appreciate your efforts. 😀 😀

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

George Graham has some advice for Le Boss ahead of the second leg against Bayern : …….‘One of the questions facing Arsene is whether they play their best team and try to win the tie, which is near impossible, or concentrate on the league.

‘Personally I’d play a weakened team because I think the second half of the first leg was like a practice match for Bayern.

‘It took a lot out of Arsenal and they have some very tough games coming up. They need fresh legs and fresh minds.’…….

George may well be right, I hate to see weakened teams playing in cup competitions but is the away leg winnable? Would we be better to keep our powder dry for the Premiership? My heart says we can win it, but my brain?…..

Northfolk,

It goes against my personal inclination, that is to say we should always field our best available team, because nothing is impossible in football, and on the face of it, 0:2 is not insurmountable, but I do admit to Georgie Boy’s suggestion being tempting as it would be dreadful to spread out resources too thinly and win bugger all.

But then, if we put out a team of boy scouts and got severely tanked, it would do nothing for our morale (team or fans) and that could have a knock on effect to our ‘proper’ team and ruin our efforts to win a trophy anyway.

No. For me, we should put out our full compliment of top team players and go for it with bags of bullshit and swagger – you never know, we could win it, or like last year, end up with a 2nd leg win and that could catapult us on to great things.

In any event Monsieur Wenger can only set his teams up to play one way — Gorgeous George, he is not.

Good day all and thanks for the comments (bit quiet, isn’t it?).

Gn5 – I’d be delighted to get a few puns from you, if your schedule is not too punishing and you could take it upun yourself to punt a few into the mix. You are a fine expunent of the art, after all… 🙂

Redders – I agree.

What do I agree with, I hear you ask? 🙂

Well everything, of course, but in particular your thoughts about the side we should put out against Bayern.

2-0 is by no means secure for the Sausage Eaters and they’ll have the same problem as last year of not being sure whether to stick or twist.

If we score it will get very nervy for them.

And as you say, if we put out an under strength team and get a proper drubbing it will give the media another field day and will seriously depress the mood around the club.

Let’s go to Germany all guns blazing!

Death Clusters … who needs ’em?

I have a question. When other teams are looking at their “death clusters” do they include Arsenal?

Of course they do, and that is why we are challenging. I expect us to lose to Chelsea and Munich but the others are very winnable.

26. Kgööner says:

very good post Rocky. your optimistic sentiments come at an important time in our title(s) challenges.

I strongly believe Rambo and Chambo are the key to how well we finish the season in the cup games, UCL and premier league. what we get out of both them is a surprise factor for the opponents. They can change games and having been missing in action for a while, their energy, attitude and world cup ambitions will bring out the best out of them offering us a ‘new’ dynamic as the season tapers.

When is Rambo back?

KG. According to Wales manager, March 16 ish- for Bayern away

Ouch Mr Graham

Well, you can all guess my feelings on how we approach Bayern, and it’s to go for it. We only need to score one before they do, and it’s game on. The Spud game is five days later, so my question is, are they playing some vital Europa game (no, no idea what that is either) on the Thursday.

I’ll go and look it up. Back in a mo

Right Lads, good new indeed.
    Spuds play away Chavs saturday before, and here’s the really good news, they play the thurdsay, so they have less recovery time than us.
    Given they’ll be going for the Europa as their only hope of silver stuff, and given the Chavs will have stuffed them on the previous saturday, and given their squad is much weaker than ours, we will win. pimples 🙂

30. JanMan says:

Rocky. Love the death clusters at least you did not say the next game for Arsenal is a big test!. What’s all this Bollox from the King of Bungs George Graham saying we should field a weakened team against Bayern. Surely a 2-0 away win with 11-11 is a doable task? Then we win in the penalty shoot out 🙂 You have got to have faith people! Best news in the States today is that Piers Morgen is getting canned from CNN. He is a true TWAT!

Give it a rest Raddy
    These researching moments of mine are thorough.
    Either that, or I’m doing my Daughter’s Maths homework 🙂

Rocky I think you spun me a line which is fine.
    But I it comes to more puns I have none — well maybe one…….

I’m haunted by French pancakes – they give me the crepes

Or…

Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!

Maybe…

England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool .

I changed my iPod’s name to Titanic. It’s syncing now.

Jokes about German sausages are the wurst

Just as I said earlier it’s a waste of a pun as the pun-dits are pun-ishing me- which I to be very pun-ative…..

which I find to be very pun-ative…..now I sound Pun-ch drunk…..

GN5
    German Sausages are no laughing matter. Raddy and I did have a happy experience in Dortmund on that front, and given that I’ll be in Munich for two days, I will be on a mission.

missed out the rather vital “Raddy and I did NOT…”

MD89 sounds like they gave you a turn for the wurst.

You’re relentless GN5 🙂

Micky, don’t encourage me……………

Stupid me, I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.

Don’t remind me. What a disappointment those sausages were. Not even served by a buxom fraulein!

Still who cares? The result and the trip were awesome.

Hopefully Munich will offer more in terms of culinary delights, and a 2-0 victory followed by an epic TPIG performance in the penalty shoot out will be equally memorable

You don’t need me to encourage, you’re more than capable all on your own, and I know what I’m talking about, as I often go solo in the mornings 🙂

Even worse now that Kelsey has learnt to go back to sleep!

Funnily enough Raddy, while you were away, I was tipping a 2-0 and penalty shoot out. Damn, that would be exciting.

It was unfair of us to judge those bangers in Dortmund. It would like a visitor to this Kingdom judging our English bangers by what’s served up outside the Ems 😦

GN5,

With so many baby gooners on here I am surprised you have not got kid puns.

But I suppose puns about potty training would be scraping the bottom.

What?????

Micky wanted a retaliation against the GN5 tsunami, and I have a sense of chivalry and had to have at him.
    At 19 stone I have appearances to keep up. If I was a knight at the Round Table I would be called Sir Cumference. 🙂

Mind you, on your other point, my hopes are sky high of unearthing some local beauties in one of those Bavarian Beerhausen

Now, RA, only a short while ago I’m sure you were a modest 17 stone. Have you been busy?

Or a round knight at the table

51. JanMan says:

Guys, when you were in Germany you for sure got the “wrong” sausages. Sounds as though you got what is called a Bockwurst which is basically a bologne sausage cooked in hot water. You need to get a Rindswurst or Bratwurst which are grilled on the grill.

GN5. Love the jokes, you should publish a book!

Very true, Micky. 🙂

I was probably being rather kinder to myself than I should have been, and my weight issues have meant that I have ballooned to 21 stone and then plummeted to just 17 stone10lbs. (17stone) 🙂

It isn’t because I am a dieting versus greedy pig, but some of my medication causes me to balloon up. 😦

I choose carefully, depending on my mood! 🙂

RA It’s strange, I’m addicted to brake fluid, but that doesn’t mean that I can stop at any time.

Raddy

I looked into my crystal balls and said we would draw Liverpool in the cup and beat Sunderland handsomely.I also said Sanogo (you may not have heard of him) would start the day before it was announced.

I can’t spell but …..:)

JanMan

It was a grilled Bratwurst, but I bet there are many different qualities, so it’s a quest I shall relish.

The bloke who served it was called Frank if that helps.

Oh and Everton in the cup, check back

57. JanMan says:

Micky. Here is where you need to go in Munchen for the best Bier. It is just down the road from the main square about 450 meters. If you are standing in the square facing the town hall (the balcony where Bayern show off all their trophies) it will be down to your right.

I love bratwurst and sauerkraut,having lived in Germany when I was younger the weiner schnitzel wasn’t bad either ,I know it’s origin is Austrian.

In Wiesbaden all the old ladies have these huge creanmy cakes with coffee for breakfast.

Nothing alters the fact that your a selfish bastard Kelsey.

It’s only the first five numbers we’re after, not the bleeding bonus bollock as well.

RA I hope you haven’t weighted to long to hear my confession but In my youth I performed in a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.

Micky
    Was his surname “Enfurter”?

Thanks JanMan

The contents of the beer jugs are of less interest to me than the jugs themselves, but thank you, I will visit.

Well upun my sole, GN5, you are unbeatable!! 🙂

I must be crazy I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

Brilliant, thanks.

RA – No trout about it I skate on thin ice……………

Rocky, Frank Enfurter. 🙂

The canteen guy in one place where I did an audit was called Frank too. Whenever sausages were on the menu it was de rigueur to ask for one of Frank’s farters.

RA – by the way did you do to offend arnie, or is he a teacher who simply cannot control his pupils?

RA – now you’ve blown it – that left a real stink!

70. JanMan says:

Kelsey. Did you live in Wiesbaden? It is a wonderful city, the Kurhaus and park are very famous but it has a reputation of being one of Germany’s most expensive cities. I live in Berlin (and Conway South Carolina) Berlin is just incredible.

Rocky
    Belated 🙂

I’m trying to concentrate on some work, and all this football talk is distracting.

I had no intention of offending the loveable arnie, so hopefully he is not offended. 🙂

He just likes the Motning Show with Micky and Chas, backed up by Evonne, Kelsey when he is not gazing at his crystal balls, and the itinerant Raddish when he is not gallivanting around from country to country. 🙂

Of course they all miss me!

Only been to Berlin once but loved the city.

Germany was off limits whilst my father was alive. He absolutely hated them and wouldn’t have anything German in the house (nor Japanese).

I visited about 5 years after his death and it still felt like a betrayal but have to say I think it is a great country and the people are so kind and helpful.

RA. You will just have to set your alarm cock!

And I am going to Sweden tomorrow!

76. arnie says:

BTW, no one has offended me, yet, certainly not the lovable Redders. 😀 Lurking in the shadows here and enjoying the banter. 😀 😀

77. arnie says:

And I am going to Berlin on Weds, so very busy. 😀 😀 laters.

Raddy,

Are you saying my cock is alarming? 🙂

It is possible I will be returning to the UK in the not too distant future –no, not for the NHS — but for personal matters and a project in ‘booming’ Manchester, and I will infest the dark waters of the morning crew again. 🙂

I lived in Gelsenkirchen but family had a business in Wiesbaden before the war yet it continues to this day, Janman

A project in Manchester, RA.Surely you aren’t buying out the Glazers.

arnie,

Are you going to confuse our German colleagues? 🙂

As a kid I lived with my parents in Frankfurt (steady Rocky), and also Düsseldorf. And as an adult I have visited many German cities, but not Berlin.

Sadly, I do not speak German (no one gives you a chance to speak their language because every one I met for business spoke English brilliantly, like JanMan) and by the time I remembered what to say the meeting would have been over!! Vorsprung durch technik 🙂

A German guy approaches a prostitute. “I vish to buy sex viz you.”
    “OK,” says the girl, “I charge 20 an hour.”
    “..ist goot, but I must varn you, I am a little kinky.”
    “No problem,” she replies, “I can do that.” So they go to the girl’s place, where Hans produces four large bedsprings and a duck caller.

“I vant zat you tie ze springs to each of your hans und knees.” The girl finds this odd, but complies, fastening the springs as he had said.
    “Now you vill get on your hans und knees.” She does this, balancing on the springs.

“Now, please to blow zis kwacker as I make love to you.” She finds it odd, but figures it’s harmless (and the guy is paying.)

She finds the sex is fantastic, as she is bounced all over the room by the energetic Hans, all the time honking on the duck caller.

The climax is the most sensational that she has ever experienced and it is several minutes before she has enough breath to speak. “What do you call that position?”

He replied” “In Germany ve call zis the four-sprung duck technique.”

I know Berlin pretty well. Stayed at the Hilton when the wall was still up and one could look out over East Berlin. Drove from Hanover to Berlin on the most pot holed road I have driven on right up to checkpoint Charlie. Was eerie in those days.

No Kelsey,

The Glazers? I have my pride you know!! 🙂

I love Wichita but most of my friends are in the UK or Europe, and I am becoming a little bored, so I have not been able to get up to NYC so when the opportunity came up to return to the UK for a while I said I would consider it. Not definite yet, tho’.

What do you get when you cross a Mexican and a German?

A Beaner-Schnitzel

85. arnie says:

Redders seems to know Frankfurt well, particularly areas around the Hauptbahnhof!! 😀 😀 Soliciting is actually a fun spectacle, but such haggling over prices in teh street I have probably not seen elsewhere! 😀

86. arnie says:

GN5: Arnie’s pupils are well and truly dilated. 😀

87. JanMan says:

Kelsey, You would not recognize modern day Berlin. So many changes. Alexander Platz and the new Nike centrum are now unbelievable. There are still small parts of the wall scattered around as tourist attractions. The check point charlie American crossing point still stands and right beside it is a very famous museum that shows various forms of escapes from the former East German sector. The Brandenburgrtor area is a huge shopping plazza with cafes (coffee shops) and lots’ of places to eat and drink. Berlin hosts some great night life and the Ku-damm area is the most famous shopping district in Germany.

RA. Loved the German joke.

Got on here about 20 or so minutes ago but just been enjoying the banter. GN5 is puntastic and Redders had me ROLFING with his 7.31.

Lovely post Rocky. I was going to say more on the subject but I think that time has passed now, and we are well and truly into the silly part of the day. The wine must be flowing out there in A.A land.

89. JanMan says:

I must confess that I do on occasion go to the stadion and Watch Hertha BSC Berlin. Always a great atmosphere and it hosts the German DFB cup final every year which I have attended many times.

More hits on AA today talking about sausages than my post match summary, says it all 🙂

I always thought Berlin was the birth of the transvite 🙂

Dusseldorf is a nice place with the old and new city. I worked allover the Ruhrgebeit (sp) Once met a lovely girl and her mother joined in.Oh what fun 😉

Just updated the widgets – great news, we’re in 4th in GiE’s swingometer 😛

94. JanMan says:

Well it is famous for its love parade 🙂

I am watching Koeln vs Fuerth on German TV and was surprised to see Lukas Podolski as the half time guest. He said he often fly’s to Koeln for their home games. He was asked about Arsenal’s chance in the next game against Bayern and he said they will do everything possible to win it. He also said how gutted Özil was about the penalty miss and his intent to make things right and make the Arsenal fans proud. Does not sound like a weakened team is expected?

95. Ahem, female approaching with caution 😉

I have a theory about the hits and numbers of comments in the recent weeks. I think it’s all about expectation. We’ve had an amazing run at the TOTL which not many would have predicted.

Around xmas time the performances dropped off and although we were still winning games it didn’t feel the same – we couldn’t be as enthusiastic. There were some poor performances from players that we’d expected to improve and a certain amount of bafflement regarding Podolski. But we were still TOTL.

Then Theo got injured and Ramsey had a relapse and and and ……….. we still weren’t playing our fabulous swashbuckling football.

But ……. on Saturday we played the way we love to play and so was that the turning point? Are we going to be ooohing and aaaahing whether we win in Munich or knock Everton out of the FA cup or finish in the top four.

Oh dear, I’ve turned into a purist, the win isn’t enough for me I want to see beauty too.

I think more supporters are sitting on the fence now than at any time in the last eight years and that’s why the blog is quiet and the hits have fallen.

96. …………… and because we haven’t got a mid-week game we’re going to need a volunteer to write a post please. If it’s not time sensitive then I can hold it over to next week if a couple of people have stuff to get off their chest.

In my cupboard I have a post from micky and a blast from the past from GN5 to use this week. So one more would be grand.

Good theory peaches. I think the hits on most sites have declined. If everything is rosy in the garden – people go outside 🙂

98. Where’s GiE? How many points do Liverpool have to drop for us to finish above them ……. ? I’m not happy, have we ever even been in the top three of the swingo?

Thanks for Death Sausage 2000, Rocky.

I love the way you freely admit your predictions for the initial run of fixtures were massively wide of the mark and then proceed to make very similar predictions for the second run of games.
    What was it Einstein said…..? 🙂

Chas 🙂
    I think Einstein said something like “Vere ist mien sausage?”

Cheers Rocky

I am with you 100% my man, have no qualms about that. We shall defeat all those teams and win a glorious double.

I wish you would stop going about these death clusters though Rock. I have just woken prematurely from a very nasty dream involving a very angry Frankie Howard, and am in no mood for the jitters

Thats what these death clusters are, “Fear and loathing in Bounds Green”. These fixtures are designed to reach the deepest recess of our minds and invoke fears that would only turn on an overly excited psychotherepist.

The Tottenham game is always the same, dosnt matter were we are in the table, you have to remain strong. Ten years ago I took my 16 year old nephew Andrew to the Lane for his first taste of the away derby.

“Now listen here Andrew” I said. “If any one gives us bother, leave it and i will deal with It, these bastards dont scare me”.

Walking down the Seven Sisters Road after the game, we were approached by two of them doing an identity check.

“Who do you support mate?” I lost it Rock, and to this day loathing envelops me. “Ime Tottenham friend, but this little runts a Gooner, I dont even know who he is, hes just following me. Besides ive got a wig, please dont hurt me”

I ran for my wretched life Rock, barely making out the undignified screams of help from my nephew as I broke the sound barrier.

Yes Rock, fear is the bigget enemy. Morino is a bully and needs to be put in his place, but those awful memories at school of Leon Mackenzie taking my dinner money and cutting my trousers so forcing me to walk around in shorts still haunts me.

I should have beaten Mackenzie to a pulp, just like we should Chelsea, but this boy was unnaturaly tall, enjoyed walking naked in the showers and starting fires.

Didnt some geezer once say “All we have to fear is fear itself”, well he was talking bollox. I bet he was never headlocked by a starkers Mackenzie and simulatnesly had a box of matches waved at him.

However these fears have to be controlled and put in there box. This Arsenal team ahs the potential to go all the way, but as we saw in the Utd game they allowed starkers Mackenzie to win out. They must learn from this fear and control it.

Off back to bed now Rocky. Hope Franke Howard has calmed down. He seemed really upset about his lack of sex and was angrily asking me what I was going to do about it?

Night all.

3:14am Transplant!

Blimey, you must have a lot on your mind, and I’m not referring to the wig.

Great start to the day though 🙂

Was I alone in welcoming the Pool league win on Sunday. I just think the bigger the gap between fourth and fifth (Spuds) the better.

Also, given my detailed research on how the Spud fixtures fall prior to our visit down the road, we must surely pray they get past the Ukrainians and into the next round.

Surely it would be better to have a bigger gap between 3rd and 4th?

I was gutted when they lost to Dnipro.

Morning Chas

Errr, why? Avoiding the qualifying game is the only reason I can think of.

On Dnipro. I looked it up, and it was only 1-0, so that could ensure something of a battle at The Lane on the Thursday before our Sunday encounter.

Remember, our game in Munich is on the Tuesday, so things are very much in our favour.

106. evonne says:

what did Ozil do on Friday?Was it a car accident in Highgate?

Liverpool 5 points or 3 points behind us. To me that’s a no-brainer.

So I have to cheer the spuds this Thursday to ensure they have a fixture in the week before we play them. I reckon you’re over-thinking things.
    You don’t think the swingometer takes into account such variables, do you? And you know that swingo is never wrong in its predictions. (didn’t it used to be called the Predict-o-meter?)

Ozil murdered a journalist who wouldn’t get out of the way of his car and then reversed over him three times Sopranos style.

Good morning pimples, 🙂

Terry at 3:14 a.m. proves that he is a humorist of the highest order – and a chicken, which is akin to a cockerel, I suppose! 🙂

110. evonne says:

good lad Mesut, I would do the same

Put it this way…… spuds losing put us further from fifth……dippers winning didn’t affect the gap between us and fifth at all.

Reversed over the journalist 3 times? Clearly an innocent accident! 🙂

What I want to know is why Terrence has us down for only a glorious Double.
    Aren’t we still in 3 competitions?
    Don’t turn into a doomer, Tel, ffs.

You are correctly saying that the two scores were not mutually exclusive, Chas.

Perhaps Micky was thinking that the ‘Pool winning reduced the Spurs chances of finishing in the top four. But as I did not read all the comments – maybe he did not? 🙂

No Chas, ’tis you wot is “under thinking” 🙂

Re the Pool win, I’m only thinking that by the time we play Spuds, them finishing out of top four could be done and dusted. Pimples.

RA, pimples is not peoples but simples. pimples.

Ah, I understand I think, we want the dippers right up our arse so the spuds don’t get CL. It all makes sense now.

What time is it for you, RA?

Thing is, if in the unlikely event we don’t win the league, then ending third or fourth makes no difference to me. Ensuring top four as soon as possible is, and if that could be before we meet Spuds, then even better.

7:56
    Correct 🙂

I’ve had two pints of strong coffee. You won’t out think me until the side effects kick in. Downhill from here on though.

The four CL places being decided before March 16th is quite a tall order besides being impossible, but hey ho, I’ll go along with it.
    Must go.

Morning

Blimey Terry must have had a new syrup and with modern technology one has to sit or stand for 24 hours so that it sinks into the skin quicker.
    With regards to hits we are not a blog with sensational headlines which are cleverly worded such as “Giroud to be sold” and then when one reads the post it says something like it is alleged that Arsenal are eyeing up a new centre forward and then goes on to presume Ollie has no future.

Also the majority of regulars on here have been supporting the club for decades and generally we don’t give knee jerk reactions.

With regards to the top 4 I don’t see it changing but in what order is another matter.

Now look, Micky, you all look like pimples in my minds eye, so suck it up!! 🙂

It’s about 2:50 a.m. and I am going to bed having been bested in a poker game. They claim I owe 15 trillion dollars – cheating sods! 🙂

Morning all ……

….. New post …….

Morning all. I saw from some comments yesterday that many are very keen for us to get Sagna re-signed and I would be one of them. However today’s reports are “someone close to Sagna has revealed his new contract demands”. Obviously I don’t like to believe tabloid rumours but sometimes it is a case of no smoke without fire. It could be that this is a ploy to bring in other suitors and put Arsenal on the spot. If though the mentioned figures are to be believed then they seem excessive and I think if he was to try and hold out for those reported figures I feel we will part ways and Arsenal will be looking for a new RFB.

I don’t know if Peaches has a post lined up today but it may be that this is a good topic. It could be based on 4 main questions :

1 Do you ideally want Sagna to stay?
    2 Should we re-sign him at all costs or is there a line we should not cross?
    3 If he does leave do we have the required replacement in either jenkinson or Bellerin or do we need to bring someone in?
    4 If we are bringing someone who is your preferred choice and why?

Oh a-se. Now I look silly. Was looking back through the threads last night and saw Peaches plea and didn’t see any volunteers so I assumed we were struggling today. Oh well off to read the new post. It better not be about sagna….