Arsenal Lost – But Confidence Is Key

Ok, we lost at Old Trafford again, but so what? In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t mean much. I’ve had worse times fitting into my trousers. We are closing the gap on all the top teams and soon will be beating the lot of them. Bet you any money, and I can’t coz I’me skint, that we will win the league this year.

No, I take my cue from Arsene. The man exudes confidence and I have every faith he is building a great side. This confidence is vital if you are to achieve your goals. Alright, I know we all can’t be like Arsene. I dont go into my local bank and say to the cashier “I am like Arsene, so you will put £100,000 into this carrier bag and ask no questions”. I have tried, it don’t work.

Look, I know about these things. After the Mrs threw me out I was at a low ebb. I would wander into my late night Tesco’s in the hope somebody would talk to me, but no one ever did. Well, apart from the security guard, who threw me out a couple of times for “Staring at people”. Now, if that was Aaron Ramsey, do you think he would be thrown out of Tesco’s? Of course not, because he has confidence that’s why.

Our confidence is growing, but we need more. We would never have lost to Utd if we had more faith. Our ability exceeds theirs.

Confidence is king. About six months ago I saw a picture of Oliver Giroud in the paper with his girlfriend, she was a right stunner. I thought, why can’t I have a women like that? Ok, he looks like Giroud because he is Giroud, and I look like Ralph Coates, but the reason he is successful with women is confidence.

Anyway, I went to one of these over 40’s discos to try my luck. You know sometimes you switch on the Box and see some Boffin talking about the possibility of Invisibility, well they’re talking bollix, I have already invented it. Not one women spoke to me all night. Imagine having invented an Invisibility Cloak and the thing only works on you. Would Giroud have been invisible to those women? Course not, confidence that’s why.

The confidence of the players is strongly linked to Arsene Wenger. The man is a genius for instilling belief in his teams. That’s why we will bounce back from the Utd defeat.

I wish my Boss was like Arsene, but he aint, he’s an horrible Git, Totnumb fan too. He’s the kind of bloke that talks to people without looking at them, usually because he’s counting cash.

Yeah, I can really see Arsene greeting Alex Chamberlin in his office with “you might play. £240, £260, £280, you might not”.

As I said, the main reason we didn’t do Utd was our confidence is still not 100%. We played with a bit of fear, bought on from previous disappointing encounters. We just have to beat them once up there, then we will be beating them all the time.

We can’t let our confidence wane now, it would be a tragedy, turning us into nasty people and costing us the league. A few months back I was invited to a family party. I hated it. Full of couples having a good time and kids running around being a nuisance. One particular kid was really winding me up. He was about nine or ten and was going round kicking and swinging at people “Ahhh, little Joe has been affected by the cola, bless”. F*ck that, the little Runt was getting on my nerves. He picked on me for special treatment, probably realising I was the sad loser in the corner.

Now if I was full of confidence like Per Mertsacker, I would probably have laughed it off, but because I was on a bit of a low I cornered him in the kitchen “Have you ever had a seriously aggressive snow ball fight with a middle aged man and suffered moderate injury requiring hospitalisation”? He got the message. “Ahhh, little Joe is tired from running around” they all said, as he lay face down on the couch sobbing.

We have tremendous potential running through the Club and team. The idea is to keep the squad together, let it mature and improve and then add when necessary. I can see us beating the top boys at home this year, but only if we believe, and we should believe. The quality is there to beat anybody. Look at the young players at our disposal. Fantastic talents who will only get better.

If you believe, anything is possible. Just like Arsenal, I too am rising again.

In the Loft that I share with a couple of pigeons I have installed a microwave machine and eat a whole variety of delicious readymade meals. I have also replaced my 1970’s heater with a flash 1980’s version which means I now no longer need to rub up to the pigeons for warmth.

In addition, I have joined an internet dating site. Wasn’t very successful at first, but since I removed my own photo and replaced it with a fake of some male model from the Argos catalogue, I am getting plenty of attention. Though one women almost caught me out when she asked whether I had ever been used in a promotion for an electronic Drill.

Yes, just like the mighty Gunners, things are looking up.

I will leave you with this. Arsenal is on the verge of a great team with a fantastic future. The only thing we have to do is get behind the team and instil as much confidence in them as we can. When you have not won anything for eight years, you need belief and we can help push the team over the line, that’s our part.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

God Bless

Written by TMHT

52 Responses to Arsenal Lost – But Confidence Is Key

1. Räsp says:

Hilarious TMHT 😆 Definitely confidence is key. The aura that Fergie built up around manu gave them the edge in games before the first ball was kicked, similarly with the invincibles. But now manu and chelski are both seen as once mighty but now vulnerable. We should have got at least a draw against manu in a game where we played considerably below ourselves. At this point in the season, the most important game is always the next one and Southampton will be a stern test. Win that one and I expect us to be top at Christmas.

2. Sav from Australia says:

Top post and very funny, TMHT.

“which means I now no longer need to rub up to the pigeons for warmth”

ahahahaha! [snorts]

3. JanMan says:

Good morning, Great post TMHT. You are absolutely correct, it is all about confidence and that is currently raging in this Arsenal squad. The loss to Utd is no big deal, anyone can lose there 1-0. It is all about how we progress from that defeat. I read that young Ox has had a set back with his recovery, that’s a shame but good news is that Poldi and Theo are back in the squad. Has anyone heard anything about our players who were involved in the Internationals? Hopefully they are all uninjured and will come through this weeks meaningless games and be fit for the weekend. The Germans had some really bad news with Khedira, he did his knee in and will now miss the 2014 WC.

4. evonne says:

Sav from earlier on – thanks, but no thanks. I do not want to watch a blood bath for fun 🙂

Transplant,

Wow, what a treat. You are a Man of many parts, and now we learn that some of them are even moving parts. Lucky you 🙂

I do agree confidence is a good thing, but a sense of humour is more important, and here you reign supreme.

Brilliant, thank you.

JanMan,
    None of our boys, but as 26 pointed out, Kos managed to get sent off to avoid risk of injury in the return.

Utd: Carrick, and Spuds: Eriksen both knackered till after Christmas

Rasp
    Saw your comment. Croyde 40 mins. We don’t surf there, although it’s great, simply because it gets v busy and traffic around there bad in the summer.

LB
    For your bike, you’d get the best board, best suit, two weeks in the Maldives with private tuition.

Flog it and take the bus 🙂

We’re off in half an hour, so time to saddle up.

8. JanMan says:

Thanks Micky. I also heard that Özil will not be involved in the England game as Löw wants to use the game as a test for some of the fringe players. I do not know if the BFG will play or not?

9. evonne says:

Terry Transplant – you are a nutter 🙂 BUT, you made a very well articulated and valid point – confidence is hugely undervalued forte. I don’t know if it is Wenger that fills the team with confidence, or do the players ‘feed’ of each other, or the uber confident individuals from Poland influence other members of the team, or the positive results increase the confidence. One way or another, the self belief is back in the team and as you rightly pointed out, this is going to be key to our success. I am not going to bet you, because I am skint too and I also belief we will be the league winners this season.

BTW, if you want to meet nice girls, go to dance lessons, salsa for example. There are about 10 women for every man, easy pickings. And good luck 🙂

What a treat, I normally have to make do with a top Terry post in comments but today I get to read a full headline post.

Brilliant.

BR

Sorry to hear about your son’s bike, a quality ride as well, hope it was insured.

12. VCC says:

Great stuff Transplant. Very funny, BUT with an underlying fact….Confidence…spot on Sir.

When we get our full squad fit and strong, and get our confidence going…….no one will stop us.

ps. Evonne has given me two tickets for her local line dancing school. Every Tuesday…..Women out number the men 10-1…I’ll pick you up at seven if you fancy it. 😉

Super stuff, Terence.

With confidence, even looking like Ralph Coates shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
    Just give them the old snake hips shuffle at the salsa class and you’ll never have to use the comb over again.
    It will be interesting to see how we respond to the Old Cowshed setback.

Transplant,

A brilliant foray into the world of a handsome, hirsute Gooner — and you too! 🙂

I need to tell you something about those durned pigeons you cuddle up to == they are all males, known as cock pigeons, and they would like you to stop putting lipstick on them.

Seems fair.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

We really should have beaten Utd. When you think about it the Gits exercised a negative counter attacking gameplan to get the result.

Fair enough, they pulled it off and deserve credit but looking longer term our steady improvement will get the better of this henious tactic.

A lot of there long term planning is centered around moulding more defensive minded youngsters, Smalling, Jones, Cleverley etc were ours is geared towards the creative

No doubt we shall prevail

Anyway, off to my Cock……….Pigeons. hahaha

A very amusing post TMHT.

It was I who removed Janman’s post as quite frankly I had had enough,and now all my friends since we set this sight up together have blocked me from moderating.

Thank you very much.

THMT. Magic. “and I look like Ralph Coates,” had me spitting out my cornflakes.

More please.

20. neamman says:

Ralph Coates, now that’s a name I haven’t heard in years

21. dhakka09 says:

Excellent Post Transplant. Confidence is indeed the key and those pigeons are indeed male 😉

Sorry for not being around for awhile. But did catch up on all articles and comments too ( 😦 reading the comments kinda sucked for the first time in many months). I hope we, as a collective group, don’t walk down that path of distrust and chaos. Our own team, Arsenal, are right now representing exact opposite of what went about on these forums for last few days.
    Good luck to us.

22. arnie says:

Great stuff, Terry. Humour in abundance, as usual, and a very pertinent issue – CONFIDENCE. I agree with you that confidence is key. But my personal feeling is also that there is confidence in abundance, in general. If there wasn’t the confidence, the good guys would not be able to go to the lion’s den (Dortmund) and bring away a precious away win. But, it is the ebbs and flows that need to be managed well.

It is I think correct to say that, if we had the confidence, we would be able to convert our possession into goals at Old Toilet. There, history and tentativeness contributed to our loss. However, this is only a temporary blip, even if a somewhat significant one.

You are also right that Arsene Wenger is great at the art of motivation, and this helps bring the best out of our players in tough circumstances. We need more of that, and I am sure this will come, and bring with it more fantastic performances. Not only at home, but away in key games. All to play for, Come on the Arsenal!!!!

arnie. I remain convinced that had BFG payed at OT we would have won.

DK09. Every few months there are misunderstandings and a days blogging is blighted. The next occasion should be around February!!

Thanks again for the comments guy. Everyone seems to agree that confidence is key, and thats great.

My post seems to have killed the blog. But look on the bright side. Like GN5’s “Greatest Arsenal Players” series, i have signed a pre contract agreement with Rasp for a “Greatest Transplant” series hahahaha

25. arnie says:

Raddy: Fully agree with you regarding BFG. Still, BFG, Ozil, Rambo, Giroud, et al. will not play all games. We need to keep our tempo high on other games as well.

BFG, Giroud, Sagna playing on Tuesday, oh dear!!!!!

Transplant,

I have just read your post again. Your sense of humour is so original.

As for killing the site. No. It was the famous Blog Death Sunday.

Motning Everyone.

We’re on the final straight now.
    T-128 hrs 30 mins
    Not sure that helps 🙂

Motning Exile,

15% beer. Nightcap Ale?
    Raddy and I saw plenty of early morning beers going down in Germany.
    A light refreshing Breakfast Beer. Maybe 2-3% just to kick start the system.

Proper English grub to line the system? Pies/

Breakfast beers 🙂

The higher strength stuff is served only in half pints.

One of my favourite craft beer makers (Brewdog) have a 33% beer called Sink the Bismarck. I think that’s served more like a wine. The bottle is a normal 330ml bottle but it’s £30-40 a bottle. Have always wanted to stitch up a member of my family who brings cases of watery lager to my house for parties and then gets stuck in to my beers, so I would just offer him a new beer I found and pour from the bottle but not let him see the ABV.

“Brings cases” plural!!!!

You house must hold legendary drinking status.

31. evonne says:

just to let you know that i am around, just nothing footballing, or constructive, or amusing to say

It’s just good to know you are alive and well, Evonne.

I’m off for an X-ray. Reckon their DidIt Photo Album must be almost full. Hope it’s not Colin on duty today. We don’t see eye to eye on too many things.

33. evonne says:

what’s wrong with you now? apart from the obvious 🙂

and don’t you love Colin? is he related (like everyone else in Devon) to the Wednesday ref Mark?

34. evonne says:

thanks Chas, I will pass it on to my son, poor bugger is almost bald at 29 😦
    Mind you, I would like to have bushy eyebrows, not like Gorbachev, but maybe like Margeux Hemingway.

When I was having my belly reduced further, there were people phoning for appointments to remove hair from backs, stomachs, neck, arms….. Mostly men with long black hairs, yak yak yak.The waiting list for laser treatment is 6 weeks!!
    Now, could they not collect all those hairs from backs, necks, etc and plant it on someone else?

35. evonne says:

sorry Chas, that Der Daniel is utter crap.

It was meant to be.

I friend of a friend is a masseur and she came across this bloke who had a six inch tail of hair coming out of the small of his back.

When I say she came across, I mean she was giving a massage to. 🙂

39. evonne says:

that is gross………..oooogggggrrrrhhh…..i am going to throw up

Isn’t that same thing?

41. evonne says:

what did she do with the tail? brushed it aside or tied in a pony tail? and the owner – does he have to shampoo the thing? conditioner?

I’m flabbergasted!!! Nik is hoping for a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona – did he actually say that??

43. arnie says:

Morning all. Evonne’s 7:54AM is the best conversation starter I have ever heard. Unlike “lovely day”, “nice weather”, “how are you lov” etc etc. I second: “just to let you know that i am around, just have nothing footballing, or constructive, or amusing to say”. Classic!! 😀 😀 😀

Hopefully, the Black Death Sunday virus is now contained!!!!

44. We have a New Post ………………..

45. 26may1989 says:

Pecahes, I think those references to Barca and Real are made up: the original interview with Bendtener didn’t include anything about the two La Liga giants, yet, in what has circulated in the last few days, it is at the end of the same quotes that the Barca and Real references have been tacked on. Looks very much like a piece of journalistic “creativity”. Not that Bendtner should be saying anything to the media right now, by speaking out he’s buggered up much of his humble pie good work of the recent months.

46. Thanks a great deal for taking pleasure in this beauty weblog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Hunting ahead to another wonderful website. Very good luck to the author! all the best!