When does firewood become deadwood (and vice versa)?

I have never been a massive fan of the word so many fans have taken to using as a way of describing players they think are surplus to requirements or wasting wages.

We have had many players labelled as dead wood by Arsenal fans, some may be correct, but there are also instances where players deemed to be deadwood have actually come back to prove their doubters wrong.

After the League Cup Final Koscielny was in that category, after many injury hit seasons Rosicky was in it too, Aaron Ramsey had the temerity not to play like Messi on his return from a horrendous injury and then there was Diaby, Arshavin, Squillacci, Fabianski, Gibbs and even new signings like Gervinho who have all been tarred with the same brush.

Arshavin started off life as a fan favourite and then ended up in the deadwood pile, could Vermaelen be going the same way? Last seasons performances certainly put him at risk of being mentioned in the same breath as Squillacci. But is it fair to do so? He is a player not on form, but surely that doesn’t mean we want to bin him and forget all he has achieved before.

Before we go sticking more names in the recycle bin can we just look back at the deadwood players from the last two seasons:

Koscielny – so important during the run in, became undroppable

Fabianski – came in when Szczesny was having a blip and kept clean sheets and was a calm presence in between the sticks

Ramsey – perhaps the most criticised player on blogs, twitter and anywhere else you care to look for the last two years, well the two years before the last two months of the season when his detractors could not keep up their set in stone view on the lad any longer

Rosicky – another big part to play in the run in and generally seen to give us an added dimension.

What’s the point of this post? To make you think before you start labelling players, criticise someone for their play by all means, criticise work rate but please stop using a cheap throwaway label for an out of favour/form player. You never know when they will spark back into life again.

Perish the thought if Jack doesn’t start well or Ox or Ryo, or Cazorla looks tired after his summer excursions.

Football is about squads and not everyone in your squad can be a world class player, but you need cover and you need options when someone is out of form, everyone in the squad may have a role to play, and when they do their inclusion in a matchday squad should not be met by groans because some one on a blog has decided this player is deadwood and that opinion has circulated around the wonderweb.

By Gooner in Exile

93 Responses to When does firewood become deadwood (and vice versa)?

1. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

Gie, you missed one dried up useless stick of deadwood. Marouane Chamakh.

2. Manthan says:

GIE,
    You have written a real gem 🙂 🙂

I agree with you at certain extent but there are players who was never fitted in arsenal for instance Squillacci then comes Daiby, No doubt he is very good player but what is the use having player who couldn’t play more 10 games.. We have to remove player Squillacci,Park,santos.. i don’t blame ashra and chamakh because they had shown their form in the begining..

3. Manthan says:

NG,

Chamakh was really good in his debut season but when BSR was fit he dropped to the bench which is where he lost his form and confidence..

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Manthan,
    ……and became a piece of deadwood.

Thanks GiE, good points all well made. I too dislike the disrespect attached to the ‘deadwood’ label. I noted in the mock interview of Ramsey by the Ox yesterday that he was more than a little spikey when Theo questioned his control and pace – players have feelings.

For the most part I just want to see players doing their best and if they are young, seeking to improve. Ramsey was a rock towards the end of last season.

I cannot give my support to Chamakh because I felt he was not committed in his play, but whilst any player is wearing the shirt and on the pitch they should receive our full support.

6. Manthan says:

Rasp,
    Well Said..

NG,
    I agree..

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rasp,

The term “deadwood” is derogatory and disrespectful to the handfull of players seemingly happy to hang around the club collecting their ludicrously over-generous wages.

Perhaps some of those players, rather than having their egos stroked, would benefit from a taste of reality, one such is having difficulty finding a club that will match his own estimation of his worth Nicklas Bendtner.

8. Prince Adeoye Olukayode says:

I felt the same,any player could drop in form but that does not mean an end to a career the so much cherised all they is an encouragement to made them do more in the field.

GiE

Well presented and valid points. Thank you.

For the most part, all the players you mention always gave/give 100%, and so what really annoys me is not so much the condemnation of not being good enough, it’s the manner in which some “fans” think they have the right to stoop to vile abuse.

Talking of writing people off, I always said from his early days that Persie was rubbish and would never make it 😦

10. Morning all, thanks for the post today GiE; for me what you are angling at in your post is distinguishing a drop in form from an innate inabilty (for reasons of fitness/application/lack of talent) to perform at the required level.

For example, Diaby’s problem is he can no longer play as an actual sportsman anymore as his body is now going to let him down more often than not – i.e. he’s a crock.

Arshavin’s lack of application in his later years meant his natural abiltry and talent wasn’t allowed to shine through.

Vermaelen, I agree, is in an indifferent run of form and because we have seen him play well in the past it’s churlish to consign him to the deadwood camp.

11. OK, I’ll confess, the only player on our books who winds me up and wishes he would leave our club is Diaby – the day he leaves is the day my blood pressure will drop. I feel a rant coming on if I’m not careful. 😦

You have hit the nail on the head there GIE. I think your sentiments are more relevant when considering a young developing player. Someone who isn’t in this bracket, like Squilacci for instance, you can draw conclusions on more readily, if it is obvious that they are not quite good enough and they are of an age where the development factor is not relevant.

Someone like Ramsey, however, who is young and developing and had a major injury to interupt their progress should be afforded patience. Some fans should hang their heads in shame for his treatment. I love his engine and work rate and feel he is a very important aspect of our squad. There will be other more “flair” midfielders out there and in some games he may give way to a flair player and drop to the bench, but your point about the squad as a whole across a season is highly relevant when considering Rambo and I feel he will be an important contributor across a season.

Carrying on from the last post about the strikers, I am slightly bewildered about this £40m + £1 we have reportedly bid. If I were the Liverpool board and had been willing to listen to bids over £40m then I would have considered the extra £1 as being somewhere between disrespectful or downright taking the p—. It smacks of mockery on our part to some extent and Liverpool will not want to look like they are being mocked and forced into a corner.

Surely if you are prepared to go to £40m then just bid £41.5m and try and be genuine and respectful with the bid. That may have brought Liverpool, albeit reluctantly, to the negotiating table. That £1 looks like a disrespectful slur and I would not blame them for now resisting doing any business with us purely out of principal so as to not lose face. Gazidkis and AW better be pretty sure that there is a genuine release clause to have made that bid otherwise I think that the mocking nature of that £1 could backfire on us.

Chary
    “I feel a rant coming on if I’m not careful” ROLF

14. Manthan says:

GoonerB,

There are rumors of an extra 1 pound but I dont think its true.. But if it is we are in big trouble as we already lost Higuain and now Pool won’t do any business with us it will get messy from here on..

15. I am a tad predictable Mdi89…. 🙂

I agree Manthan. There is something that doesn’t stack up about the Suarez dealings. I wonder if the release clause at over £40m is genuine and that Liverpool were just trying to keep it quiet or smokescreen it. If that reported bid is true then you would think that we have received concrete proof that it triggers his release otherwise all we have done is tweak the tigers tail and annoyed them to the point that they will likely listen to anyone bar us.

Pi—-g off the people you are trying to negotiate with is never a good idea in my book and our tactic here could only work if the release clause is genuine. It could be genuine because when you analyse it what is really the point of having a clause that says Liverpool only have to inform Suarez of any bid in excess of £40m but don’t have to accept it. That is a nothing clause because we all know that the players and their agent will have been fully briefed in private by the bidding club.as to what they have submitted anyway and I can’t believe any modern agent would have asked for such a clause without it being one that genuinely forces Liverpool to sell if Suarez wants to leave and take up the offer.

I agree certain descriptions are derogatory so let’s switch to military terminology.

Diaby = On extended disability leave.
    Bendtner = Impersonating an officer.
    Chamakh = Forlorn hope.
    Gervinho = In no man’s land.
    Park = Missing in action.

I’m sure we can play with this all day………..

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

It would appear that the £40 million clause in the Suarez contract is not a buy out figure. Rather that the club have to advise the player of offers ABOVE £40 million. Buy offering £1 over the £40 million Arsenal are forcing Liverpool to tell Suarez about the offer.

19. IanRealGunner says:

Dear Gunner N5,

If you want to use military terminology, I would suggest the phrase “NAAFI SOUP” to describe Bendtner. It stands for “No Ambition and F*** All Interest, Switched Off and Un-Plugged”.

For Gervinho, “Exocet”. You know it’s coming but there’s F*** All you can do about it.

As for Ramsey, I know many have slated him, and many others state the horrendous injury he suffered as the principal reason for him losing form and the time it has taken to get back on track. I would also add that I believe the Gary Speed death (and Ramsey subsequently being stripped of the Wales captaincy) will have likely affected him in ways that none of us will be able to comprehend. I like him, as even when he wasn’t playing brilliantly (out of position mostly), he never hid.

20. Gooner In Exile says:

Afternoon all.

Whilst I agree that certain players have not lived up to the wages that’s not to say its always been the case or that they weren’t of some use.

When Cham first played I thought Wenger had done it again….however a season on the bench behind BSR affected him psychologically, Squillacci a similar case, but no one can tell how these players will react when they feel unloved. When they were signed they were good enough to be squad players, not playing affects anyone’s ability.

GIE;

It would be interesting to see a post based on Arsenal players whose careers went south after been subjected to the “moaners, groaners and boo boys” at the Emirates.

They are the clowns that think they known better than Arsene and are “entitled” to boo because, after all, they paid for a ticket.

22. neamman says:

I think that any of those on the deadwood list are far better players than we could ever dream of being. We have no right to call them deadwood. But I get the point GIE was making and agree with it. I just would never call any professional player dead wood.

23. neamman says:

GN5
    Jon Sammels a case in point, what a classy skilful player who had to leave us because of a few morons.

24. Bryan says:

I agree in principle what you are saying but don’t think Kos or Rosicky were ever thought of as deadwood.
    Actually I don’t think Ramsey was either, even though he is highly criticized & in my opinion not good enough as a regular 1st team player for the mighty Arsenal if we are hoping to challenge at winning things.
    Fabianski & Gervinho would be shown the door if I had my way, totally not up to the level required, but “deadwood” is not a nice term, even if talking about Bendtner

neaman,

It’s sad to say but there were many good players ruined by the crowd

KJust went onto another blog and a guy named “Lord Misery” a Spurs fane was talking about their 2012/13 season and described it as ” So near, so far, so Spurs”

27. evonne says:

Rasp – turn on the radio and listen to Spurs being slaughtered on TalkShite. They were RUBBISH today against Sunderland. I know it is only friendly, but no team wants to loose to minos. So you can relax now assured that we will finish at least 2 points above them

Well said GiE
    I’ve been reading about how we’re having to look at defenders in the transfer window because of a pre-season injury crisis.

Well, we had a really good CB and let him go earlier in the window: Johann Djourou.

He was rotten when played at right back, but had become a very consistent performer at CB as anyone can see if they go back to the match reports and player ratings after his appearances at CB over the last couple of seasons (I did, in the context of another Post I wrote a while back).

But his name had been tossed into the deadwood pile by a lot of the unenlightened ones and a sort-of consensus built that he “wasn’t good enough”. Well, I would say he was as good as any fourth choice CB in the EPL and better than the vast majority.

Rasp
    You were joking earlier this morning, right? 🙂

30. johnnie nyc says:

i think you forgot Mannone
    GIE — good idea for a post… basically, the fans are too hard on our own players…too quick to put them down.. Ramsey was put down the same way

31. That is annoying Mr Rock, all our defensive injuries and we send out Djourou on loan, can we call him back ? At least he’s not injured..no wait 😦

Johnnie,

Mannone played for Sunderland today and from what I read he was outstanding in their 3-1 defeat of Spurs.

Good for him and a big “up yours” to the Arsenal boo boys!

33. Well the Hig has landed in Italy for a medical with Napoli today; so there goes one option. 😦 😦

But on the upside we get to see him play in the Emirates Cup.

Hi Rocky, yes, just wallowing in my ‘lone voice’ status 😆

35. evonne says:

GiE – I cannot believe that Eboue didn’t even get a mention
    The fans treated him abominably, yet he never stop trying . I was sorry to see him go.

I have decided that plastic fans are my pet hate, they deserve it!

BTW has your mate Tony got a job yet or is he heading for Barca?

36. evonne says:

ffs, Liverpool insist on £50m+ for Suarez!! Couldn’t they take £30 plus Chamakh?

37. Red Arse says:

Ill mannered & ill tempered people who use bad language or unfortunate adjectives when making a point are a fact of life.
    It is a pity they feel the need, of course, but if they have an opinion about someone or something, that choice of words does not invalidate their opinion.
    We may disapprove of their adjectival description, and may strongly disagree with the comment made, but to vilify or censor them is also wrong, not that I am suggesting anyone has done so today.

Hi Redders, I have no idea what you are referring to? I haven’t censored anyone or read any ill judged remarks recently, can you let me know what the problem is please.

If the press reports are to be believed (I know, I know), it looks like there is some movement in the Suarez situation…

Chary
    Haha – I’d forgotten he was crocked too!

Doctor Simon is known throughout town as one of the best consultants on arthritis. He always has a waiting room full of people who need his advice and specialist treatment. One day, Betty, an elderly lady, slowly struggles into his waiting room. She is completely bent over and leans heavily on her walking stick. A chair is found for her. Eventually, her turn comes to go into Doctor Simon’s office.

15 minutes later, to everyone’s surprise, she comes briskly out of his room walking almost upright. She is holding her head high and has a smile on her face. A woman in the waiting room says to Betty, “It’s unbelievable, a miracle even. You walk in bent in half and now you walk out erect. What a fantastic doctor he is. Tell me, what did Doctor Simon do to you?”

“Miracle, shmiracle,” says Betty, “he just gave me a longer walking stick.”

42. Red Arse says:

Rasper

I was just musing on a philosophical point.

If you recall, I specifically said that I was not intimating that anyone had said or done anything wrong.

Neither you nor GIE have ever been censorious to my knowledge.

I happen to agree that the use of the term “deadwood” and the like are unhelpful, but was trying to avoid doing so, for fear of doing the very thing I was referring.

No offence intended.

Afternoon all.

Well, I have something to say.

I think the £40m + £1 was the right thing to do. Who the heck do they think they are? That’s not how it works.

“Offer us £40m+ and you can talk to him”. Ok, then. “Now Mr Suarez, Arsenal here, we’ll pay you much more than RM and a massive signing on fee that you can share with your agent if you like. This will make you both very rich”.

“Hello Liverpool again, Arsenal here, we’ve had a chat with Mr Suarez and everything went very well. Thing is, we’ve changed our mind, and would now like to revise our offer to £30M if that’s ok”

Guess what, and remember Cesc, what can Pool do with a player who only wants to play for one club.

Rocky,

How else would they be able to keep the Suarez rumour going if they didn’t add another twist…………

RA

Now look here Confucious, speak not the parable, cos we ain’t got the foggiest what you’re on about”. Simple folk here 🙂

Micky,

I find it perfectly understandable, it’s written in fluent Red Arsesese.

– Arseese

Only 5 hours left if you want to make your selections for Arsenal’s all time greatest team.

The polls can be found in the archive’s sidebar.

Spot on, GIE.

Deadwood is an abhorrent term, I just prefer ‘shite’. 🙂
    No seriously, I really hope this summer sees the end of its use as so many of the players labelled such have been shipped out.

The players still hold all the trump cards when negotiating contracts. Four or five years for a young player seems reasonable until you find you have no use for them after two. Shorter contracts and the club gets it in the neck because new contracts have to be negotiated with 2 seasons still to go on the original.
    Others, such as Cesc, are offered new contracts simply so they’ll stay at the club for another season or two. There’s far too much power in the players’ hands and the clubs always end up looking the mugs.

50. evonne says:

‘what are they smoking’??? how very dare he!!
    I never think it is a good idea to wind up the opposition, it always backfires

51. Since “The Posh” loving Adrian Durham is away, ‘Arsenal Arsenal’ brings you “The Daily Arsenal” airport update…Gonzalo Higuain might be on a plane bound for London…………………………………
    next Friday with the Napoli party in readiness for the Emirates Cup.
    Personally, I’d much rather have Yaya Sanogo.

Evonne
    We wind up Spurs every year. Hasn’t backfired for 18 years 🙂

53. evonne says:

that’s different Micky, they deserve it, we the Arsenal don’t

54. To address the subject of an excellent post, we have no deadwood at The Arsenal, just a few dying embers, and some burnt-out ego’s.

55. Red Arse says:

Thank you GN5, for understanding the meandering thoughts of someone…….. me….. Well into a forbidden pint on the sun drenched coast at Eastbourne, with a tricky iPhone keyboard.

There are times when I guess I should meander like an Ox-Bow river …… on my own!! lol

Chas and Micky have the right of it from our morning ensembles …. respond with flippancy.

Adieu mon amis. Lol

(Who upset the Rasper?) lol

We are The Arsenal

Have to comment on your gravata thingy.
    Magnificent.

Evening all … understood Redders.

Here’s a simple an honest question to you all ……. do any of you seriously believe that Arsenal would spend £40m (+1) on any player?

58. Thank you MickeyDidIt89, though it’s not as humourous or as imaginative as your ‘rinky-dinky’ cool cat.

WATA
    Style is everything

Rasp
    Errrr… normally a categorical Non, but, we have new sponsorship deals and errr, ok I’m struggling here, so can we settle on a “why not?” as what else are they going to do with it?

I know my Company Jet idea was sensible, but perhaps a shiny new striker might be an alternative option.

My money remains on two £15m’ish type of additions, but we don’t have long to find out.

Haha, thanks Micky … we’ve gt two hopes, slim and nuffin, and slim just left town.

I do believe we could pay £20m ish for Bernard if Gerv moves on, but as I said earlier with my realist hat on, we really need to shore up the defence so Ashley Williams and Bernard may be our ‘big signings’

Rasp

Unless Bernard turns out to be a revelation, I would not be happy with those signings.

As I’ve said many times, our squad is very strong, so to go to the next level, we should only sign players who are definite 1st XI’ers.

Someone of the Suarez quality: very happy.
    Ditto a Fellini: everyone needs a top movie director
    Williams? No thanks.

As I said earlier, I’ve got my realist hat on. I’d have loved Higuain and Fellaini. Higuain is gone and there is no evidence we are interested in Fellaini, Manu is his likely destination.

I’d be ecstatic if we signed Suarez, but pool aren’t like us, I doubt they’d sell their best player to a rival. The only small hope is that no one else comes in for him and they sell him late in the window.

I think Ronaldo will stay at RM, but were he to leave, they could buy Bale and Suarez

64. evonne says:

Rasp @ 8:06 – no, of course not. They bid £40mil for a player they don’t really want to buy and had Pool accepted the bid they would simply say ‘we were only having a larf’

You’re not cynical enough evonne if you think the club wouldn’t make a bid it had no intention of seeing through. The machinations of transfer dealings know no depths.

At least we will see Higuain at the Emirates – playing against us in the Emirates Cup 😦

66. Raspers, that just what I said at 3.27; it’s good to see a pair of old doomers like us can look on the bright side.

Hi chary, sorry i missed your comment – yes you got there before me 😕 I don’t want to piss on anyone’s parade, but its pretty clear to me now what’s happening.

We do have some real quality youngsters coming through the ranks. I’m resigned to the fact that we won’t be buying any big stars as long as the current administration is in charge.

Rasp
    If we don’t land Suarez I owe you 10 Peronis.

If we do, you owe me 1 🙂

Deal? 🙂

How can I resist Rocky, mind you I’m a lightweight as you know and 3 peronis is about my limit.

If I lose it’s quits since you already owe me a peroni because Chamakh failed to score the 10 goals you forecast 😆

…. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be delighted to lose, Suarez is a fantastic player …… but Arsenal …. spend £40m on a player? …. nah 😦

Great -it’s a deal then 🙂

72. Gooner In Exile says:

Erm, I personally hope all this Suarez stuff is pure bollocks! I don’t want the player anywhere near our club:

1) we have a number of black players
    2) he bit someone on the football pitch……twice
    3) he is a diving cheat

And Liverpool have form for selling its just normally £50m is needed, as someone else said earlier, if the bid has been made which one can only assume it has as John Henry has even tweeted about it, the £40m appears not to be a buy out clause but rather a speak to clause.

Someone asked earlier why if we were prepared to spend £40m wouldn’t we offer £41.5m, why would Liverpool be so churlish as to demand an offer “over” £40m, the £1 is hardly a big difference.

Good goal scorer though GiE 🙂

74. evonne says:

GiE contd:
    4) he won’t play until 6th October against WBA

Rocky – absolutely!!! Bring him on, he will behave

GiE – Prince George, told you 🙂

75. Gooner In Exile says:

Haha Evonne

Forgot the ban….6 matches….won’t exactly make a flying start will he?

As for Prince George, I’m glad we got in first, only thing is there will now be a spate of George’s 😦

76. evonne says:

yes, many many Georges. ‘We’ were glad it’s a boy so there is no danger of the royals chosing ‘our’ name, ie

Oh no, he will demolish WBA, don’t you worry about that. It will be a flying start, just a bit delayed

Apart from that – look GiE, you know that at Pool highest standards are not expected, they are Scoucers. Suarez might not be the sharpest tool in the box (didn’t even draw blood), but even he will understand class and standards.

77. Gooner In Exile says:

Good goalscorer? These are Scouse stats for Suarez

Premier League – Goals first shots second:

12/13 – 23 – 187
    11/12 – 11 – 128
    10/11 – 4 – 55

” ‘We’ were glad it’s a boy so there is no danger of the royals choosing ‘our’ name”

Is this secret code between the two of you, and if so, what’s “our” name, as I reckon it must be a little embarrassing. Sugar Tits?

Is there a post in the cupboard, if not, I suggest a poll about the level of our transfer window expectations. Being secret, it could make interesting reading.
    I’m on a train for a few hours to either Nottingham or Northampton, so could do the scribbling.

I’m not sure if anyone has offered a post for today ……. does anyone know?

81. Morning Micky – might need you to do that ….. I’ll just check the cupboard ………

82. Yes please Micky, if you can scribble it I’ll make sure a poll gets added. Can you text me once you’ve emailed it. Thanks

Okedoke, give me ten minutes and I’ll email it over, then I’ll text.

84. evonne says:

rogers pulls the emotional strings already – Suarez in debt to Pool.
    O la la, I think he is saying good byes to the player

Micky – no, wordpress swallowed ‘Matilda’; ‘we’ – all parents and grandparents, some choose to remain anonymous 🙂 Would you like to be called grandpa ? I at least will be Babcia

85. Norfolk Gooner says:

There seems to be a consensus between the majority of AAers that the term “deadwood” is unacceptable when describing certain members of the Arsenal squad.

How should squad members, who contribute little or nothing to the team, either through their lack of ability/quality/fitness whilst sitting comfortably on a regular pay-cheque, be termed?

Sent Peaches. Will attempt the text.

Norfolk

Public Sector Worker? Banker?
    Reveal all, as I think you have a better answer 🙂

88. Gooner In Exile says:

Norfolk…..as long as there is a reason attached I don’t have a problem with a player being judged surplus to requirements.

One of the other problems with using labels is that it gets used without definition, how many times have we read comments like :

Wenger should get rid of the deadwood.

Without naming names this is an easy get out for a commenter as they are just using a sweeping term without saying XYZ should go, and therefore when X Y or Z improve they can’t be seen to be incorrect.

89. Norfolk Gooner says:

No Mickey, I don’t have anything better until someone can come up with a more succinct, apposite and suitably perjorative term I’ll stick to deadwood.

90. Norfolk Gooner says:

GiE,

Perhaps we should have a poll, then we can vote for the most useless appendages in the squad. With regular updates players could be voted in or out of the doghouse as the season progresses.

Norfolk @8:48 ROLF

No mercy 🙂

92. Morning again

Thanks to Micky we have a New Post ………

……..and a Poll 😉

Quiet here today. Is this the lull before the storm?