Transfers and The Arsenal Attack.

On this occasion, I have a huge advantage over all of you bright eyed and clever Arsenal Statty Sorts, and that is because I know what I have written below, and DidIt logic is pretty much Greek to anyone else (which obviously leaves Transplant in the know!).

Thing is, as far as I’m concerned, Rules are things that apply to others, and Stats are for my very own personal interpretation. Obtuse thinking to others, but clarity personified to me. Or so I thought.

Next season, we aim for top spot, and on the evidence of last season, these are the kind of stats we will be Gunning for:

Utd GF 86 GA 43 GD 43, while we ended with this lot:

AFC GF 72 GA 37 GD 35

First obvious thing that you will notice is that the defence doesn’t matter, as we actually conceded too few. So that’s that area dealt with. Right, up to the other end we go, and formulate a transfer strategy that will secure another 14 goals.

Let’s look at the evidence, and this is where I become DidItly elastic with the facts.

Olly scoring

The Attack is a collective unit. A successful attack is measured in goals scored, and the principal protagonists are the front three and the Advanced Midfielder (or Santi, as he’s called). Okedoke, so this is where things get a little complicated, because here I begin to use some of my own formulas and rationality. One or two assumptions need to be made. One, Ollie is the first choice CF. Theo Right, and Gerv/Pod make up the left so I’ll treat those two as one component, or position as some call it (I’m ignoring the fact that both Pod and Gerv started centrally on occasion).

Last season goals were spread thus, and I’m only talking about the league:

Giroud 11, Theo 14, Pod 11/Gerv 5, Santi 12

Pod scoring

That’s 53 goals out of our total league haul of 72 (19 to the rest)

Now, throwing in total league starts of:

Giroud 24, Theo 24, Pod 25 and Gerv 12 (av 18), Santi 36.

I then calculate the average goals (factored up or something) were these boys to start every game:

Giroud 17, Theo 22, Pod/Gerv 24, and Santi 13, giving a total of 68. Add in the 19 and we have 87. Champion Stats.

Theo scoring

So, there we have it. Same gang start every game and we are home and dry.

Oh ok, so things aren’t quite that simple, as we have to be slightly grown up about this and realize they won’t ever all start every game, so it’s a case of looking at the weak areas, despite the skew wiffiness of my logic.

What surprises me most is that Ollie, Pod, Gerv and Theo all have fairly similar goals to starts ratios. To my even more enormous surprise, it is the fragility of Theo that poses the biggest problem as we simply don’t have the goalscoring back up over on the right. I began this rather strange exercise fully expecting to justify what I have been banging on about, namely, the need for a Left Winger. The facts, however, say something completely different, which is that a Theoless Right leaves us in big trouble.

Santi scores

Given that I believe Ollie does have productive back up in the shape of Podolski, who himself doubles up to provide a two man team with Gerv on the left, that leaves the biggest question of all: the Theo fitness and can the Ox take the next step up this season and provide the goal per two games to keep the overall attack numbers on course (Last season, he had 1 goal from 11 starts!).

In short, as proved by Utd last season, and City the season before, the lack of critical injuries plays a pivotal role. City overcame this through quality cover, Utd were very lucky with Persie. Utd achieved their impressive goal tally largely through the fitness of Persie, who started 35 of their league games, but featured in all 38, to produce his 26 goals. If, as Podolski himself says, we will see the real version this season as he has overcome his injury problems, and he becomes first choice central cover for Ollie, perhaps what we need most is more firepower from the Wings.

Bernard does that. Yesterday I said I was cross that Arsene denied The Brazilian was a target. Now I’m really angry, but given that I’ve just read on the reliable Newsnow that Gerv could be off to Roma, I’m convinced a goalscoring Wide Boy will arrive, and one who can operate down either flank.

Written by MickyDidIt89

158 Responses to Transfers and The Arsenal Attack.

From earlier:

GiE,
    While I agree about the joys of watching the likes of Gedion Zelalem develop, I also believe in the today. Like it or not, Arsenal is a business and we cannot focus too much on tomorrow.

Rasp,
    Despite my apparent contentment, I really do believe that to progress this squad needs refreshing with two high quality players. I happen to believe they will come 🙂

Love tactical bollix posts, be back later to comment …………..

This is not the usual tactics bollocks stuff, simply DidIt Logic.

If everyone stays fit and plays every game, we win the league. It won’t happen, so we need strengthening 🙂

4. Manthan says:

Didit,

I have a belief that Bernand will come to arsenal. I am not sure about Higuain and Suarez but I prefer Huguain above suarez. One thing I noticed is thatday prior to Santi and Arteta joined arsenal, Arssene has denied the reports of both joining arsenal but they actually did join us so we couldn’t predict Le Prof 😀 😀 one more epic comments by him yesterday was “I TELL YOU THE TRUTH BUT I NEVER TELL YOU THE COMPLETE TRUTH” 😀 😀 😀

5. Manthan says:

Hey anybody here in twitter or facebook?

One thing I noticed yesterday’s in cesc twitter profile is that he has stop following BSR but he follows OX and Arsenal ;D 😀

Micky, since everything that ever happens everywhere can be explained by mathematics (when random variables are included) your assertion makes perfect nonsense 😆 so it must be true 😛

7. Manthan says:

Bernand Comments on Skysports

“I don’t want to talk about this in a week as important as this one,” he told Superesportes.

“I want to talk about the game and I don’t want to be polite or ignore it in any way.

“I don’t know what will happen after the game. My future at Atletico Mineiro will be in the board’s hands from Thursday onwards.”

8. sai says:

Brilliant post Mickey! Haven’t had a read like this in months. I’m not too sure how you work with the variables, but I assume you are right with the factors 🙂 and Wenger might be as tactful as you are. I’d assume he’d gone a step further to asses the Ox in training to include those stats before making his transfer priorities.

Manthan, are you sure Cesc wasn’t following Arsenal before? I am surprised that he has “started” following, which I thought he already did! Anyway, I am pretty sure he will not follor BSR’s footsteps anytime soon.

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

Didit’s done it, totally confused me with his Diditlogic. 🙂

If only statistics could win matches, there’d be no need for strikers. 😀

10. Manthan says:

sai,

He is following arsenal from long time but he unfollowed BSR. BUT don’t know when..

Sai,

“I’m not too sure how you work with the variables”… well, that makes two of us, but I think Rasp has a good handle on things that my “assertion makes perfect nonsense” 🙂

12. vp says:

Morning all.

Good post. Agree with you about needing a quality wide man.Bernard could be the man. I wouldn’t class Podolski as an out & out winger. I think that the main reason we purchased him last year was so that he could provide CF cover, while also being able to do a job out on the left (a cost savings exercise) I don’t think he’s embedded the left wing position purely on his adeptness to play there and Bernard would provide good competition for that spot.

My biggest concern is Giroud.I don’t think we can rely on Giroud to be clinical, game after game over 40 matches. It appears that Wenger feels the same which is why bringing in a striker seems to be his priority right now. If i’m honest I don’t even think he’s in top 10 best strikers in the Prem, and if we want to pose a serious attacking threat then i don’t see this happening when he’s the best CF at the club.

I personally think that the front trio of Podolski, Giroud and Walcott exceeded expectation by delivering fourth last year. Not sure as to whether I’d be comfortable with going into next season with them segmenting the front three positions without any competition.

Adding a top quality CF is a must, and if we can add someone like Bernard to the ranks then that would be a great bonus.

13. Gooner in Exile says:

I’d be interested in the 10 better strikers…….

BSR
    Aguero
    …………….your turn

14. Gooner in Exile says:

Micky i posted a comment very early this morning which appears to have disappeared into the ether.

Perfectly logical post in my book, although i would look to use Pod/Gerv and Theo on opposite wings and therefore we still need a left winger…..just one who has a right foot 😀

15. Red Arse says:

MickyDidItAgain,

That Post resonates with the quality of an indepth, analytical, stats oriented type of discussion that a real fan has before or after a match with fellow enthusiasts …… and of course is total bollix! 🙂

Worryingly, it actually seems to me to have merit, because you are clearly a master forecaster able of distinguish between ex post and ex ante forecasting.

In terms of a comprehensive footie forecast results model, you will be aware that both predict values of a dependent variable beyond the time period in which the model is estimated. (a season past versus a season future). However, in an ex post forecast observations on both endogenous variables and the exogeneous explanatory variables are known with certainty during the forecast
    period. Thus, ex post forecasts can be checked against existing data and provide a means of evaluating a forecasting model.

An ex ante forecast predicts values of the dependent variable
    beyond the estimation period, using explanatory variables that may or may not be known with certainty.

I have always suspected that your carnivorous and possibly cannibalistic relationship with lobsters has imbued your cerebral cortex with a fantastic amount of mathematical genius.

You must immediately contact Arsene with your crazy ideas and convince him to carry on spitefully upsetting the Rasper by not buying anyone else because the title is already in the bag. 😀

RA,
    I could answer your comment with a “yes” or a “no” and just chance my luck!
    My Mother would shout orders from one room to another at my Father, who simply had a few bog standard answers. He would randomly select one, and it always worked. “No, not yet Dear, but I will” was one 🙂

17. Red Arse says:

I am most interested in GIE’s assertion that, when reading between the lines seems to infer that a left/right wing combination of Theo and Gerv only need one right foot between them to achieve success.

This reminds me of one of Chas’ Dud and Pete snippets which showed just how this might be done in a three legged race set up.

My main concern with GIE’s theory is that I believe Thoe and Gerv do not have a right foot between them ……………………….. or a left foot come to that, but then again, you can’t hold either of those omissions against them ………………. and neither can they 😀

GiE,

I am a fan of your switching flanks concept, and little cheeses me off more than very one-footed players.

19. Gooner in Exile says:

RA, i was not asserting that although reading back i can see how you have interpreted that i have asserted it. 😀

20. Gooner in Exile says:

Micky for me its the one thing our two young full backs have to work on, although i think Gibbs has made strides in that deprtment, Jenkinson needs to work on his left peg.

21. Red Arse says:

A very sensible response, Manthan, and your dad was obviously a student of random variable outcomes, which either pleased your mother with the expected and required answer gleaned from past experience, or was so confusing that the moment had passed before she realized he was talking bollix!! 🙂

22. Red Arse says:

GIE,

Now you are highlighting something that has been obvious to some of us for a long time.

You have revealed to the world at large that Corp Jenks has only one leg to work on!

Is this proof that Rasp has been right all along and that Arsene is a miserly sod only interested in buying one legged players to halve the wage bill!

23. Red Arse says:

Incidentally, GIE, in the circumstances, your choice of phrase, ‘Gibbs has made strides in that department’ is a little cruel, don’t you think?

24. vp says:

Afternoon,Gooner In Exile

Strikers in Prem that you could make a case for being better then Giroud (In no particular order)

RVP,Benteke,Michu ,Demba Ba, Rooney, Suarez, Aguero,Dzeko,negredo,Hernandez,

Not including:
    Cisse, defoe,adebeyour,wellbeck
    Jovetic (haven’t seen enough of him to comment)

Objectively speaking, I think that most people would find ten strikers in that potential list of 15 that they’d rate ahead of Giroud.

Nothing would make me more happier then to be proved wrong next season. However, I’d be lying if I said that I am not worried about the fact that he’s the best CF in our ranks.

Micky,

Our Dad’s used the same logic.

“It’s on my list dear”
    “First thing tomorrow”
    “I won’t forget”
    “It’ll be done in a jiffy”
    “Stop worrying, I promised you that I would do it. and I will”

Some of her responses….

“Is that the same list you keep losing”?
    “Tomorrow never come”
    “You forget your head if it wasn’t screwed on”
    “Your jiffy’s are very iffy”
    “Your promises will be the death of me”
    “Forget it I’ll do my self” = a big smile from Dad.

GiE
    Obvious. Get the Full B’s to switch sides 🙂
    Anyhow, as I said in the post, we concede too few to win the league so what harm can possibly come of it.

Micky,

You should become a Red Top sports ]journalist, you’ve already passed the entrance exam. Your ramblings are spot on, total nonsense, but believable to the masses.

Interesting post, Micky, ta.

We definitely need cover for Giroud, though I’m not sure if any of our potential targets as mooted by goal.com are good enough.

As for the mancs, the season before they scored 3 goals more and let in 10 less but still finished on 89 points.

Our record was that we scored 2 less goals but conceded 12 less comparing last season to the one before. This allowed as to turn three defeats into three draws, thereby finishing 3 points up on the season before and allowing us to, yet again cast a shadow over the no-marks from N17.

What I really need is GIE’s projection-o-meter to make sense of it all. 🙂

29. Red Arse says:

I know it is time for me to go when I confuse Micky with Manthan in my reply.

I am off to do something important like boil an egg for 10 minutes to ensure it is hard ……………….. my concern is that last time I said that, Terry boiled his todger to achieve the same effect … the egg is fine for lunch, the todger not so much.

VP
    Re your earlier comment. I 100% agree with what you say about Podolski. His stats are actually pretty good from the left, which is fairly staggering considering he’s so left footed. In other words, his goals come from cutting in from the right. Also, he’s simply too slow to be a wide boy.

My gran used to answer a request for anything with the word “Presently”.

I was having a look at this the other day.
    The Pod’s goals didn’t really come from him playing left side (only really Liverpool and Montpelier). His assists on the other hand………

33. vp says:

MickyDidit

I like Podolski and am not surprised to hear that he’s generated good stats. I can definitely see why. He’s a good crosser, possess great shooting ability and in my opinion, the best finisher in the team.I think that those stats would improve even more if he was played in his preferred position as striker, I really do. But could he play up there as a lone man?

I agree that his lack of pace is a glaring disadvantage particularly when you’re not skillful. The only other way he could be effective out wide is if he floats (like silva & Nasri) but that’s not in his locker. He may on occasions be work an angle to drift inside and let fly, but his game’s based more on energy, rather then stealth,positioning and eye of the needle passing. How do we get the best from him?…… its a tricky one.

34. Gooner In Exile says:

Just doing a bit of diary planning and I notice the the London Craft Beer Festival is on the weekend of opening PL fixtures. It’s in Bethnal Green. The £35 entrance gets you a 3rd pint from each brewer (apparently over 5 pints).

Now where’s that permission to be excused of Dad duties for a day form.

35. Gooner In Exile says:

VP while there are some good goalscorers in that list and whilst that’s the main job of the striker I do also believe that Oli had a lot to do with goals coming from others in the team. Which was a vast improvement last season.

GN5 and GiE, I’d just like to thank you for the fantastic series of articles on Arsenal’s greatest players.

It ticked so many boxes; nostalgia, educational, focus, realisation of changing values etc. etc. …. a brilliant effort and even more welcome because peaches and I have hardly had time to comment, but rest assured, I read and enjoyed every biog, thanks again 😛

37. vp says:

Gooner In Exile

Its a shame that he’s not third, or even second, down the pecking order, as then he wouldn’t be exposed to such scrutiny.

I agree that he does contribute assist wise, but If we we’re to judge as a support man (i.e Baggio & Bergkamp ), these assists are no way near enough.He assists a bit and scores a bit, not really excelling at either.I just think that if we really want to close the gap between us and the rest then Giroud can’t be the best CF at the club.

38. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp as I have said many times adding the occasional photo is nothing compared to the work GN5 put in. That its taken us all the way to pre season is fantastic.

39. johnnie nyc says:

nice job Micky, but I have to say we need to add a top striker. very simple… I like Giroud, but he is not good enough for a top prem team. a great second choice. …
    interesting goal stats, but I don’t think that’s the correct way to look at it, because if you did that for other teams the numbers could be larger, and we already have a problem of not rotating enough.
    … maybe a better way to look at it is to add the difference in goals between a top striker like a vP or suarez vs Giroud, and see what our numbers are like by adding approximately 15 goals.
    … I love the way our guys share the goal scoring burden, im proud of it, but would like a class finisher to lead.
    …. i’m Not happy if we blew it with Higuain. he could have replaced vP quality. and suarez will probably go to Madrid with the Higuain money used, and some of us warned a month ago at least that the cavani money would get Higuain for Napoli. we should have paid the 26 mil early when it was us vs juventus… I think it could have been closed early, but we were looking for a 22-23 mil bargain.

Hi JNYC

Could be Suarez and Fellaini. Why not? 🙂

One thing is for sure, AW would always want to be around for the “Greet and Meet” and “New Product Launch” 🙂

Well Micky,
    That’s a fine exposition of our attacking prospects and requirements for the season ahead. I would go so far as to say it displays a lot of uncommon sense, some self-obscure truths and many words to the unwise.

I totally convinced 🙂

42. johnnie nyc says:

I hope so Micky, but suarez to Madrid makes too much sense..Bale to them seems much less likely- maybe Ibra to Madrid?
    id be worried if Spuds keep Bale, with Paulihno and get Soldado.. we need to do something…standing as we are is not going to be good enough this year.. I love our guys, but we need to add some top quality.

Rocky

Had a nasty feeling you were going to use a long word like “extrapolate” or something equally terrifying.

Naturally, I would have responded: “No, not yet Dear, but I will”

Micky
    I would have used some long words but then I read Redders’ offering at 12.25. By the time I got to the end all my veins were twisted 🙂

While I ponder the chances of AW splashing his entire budget on Suarez (and why not?), I have un question.

If anyone has watched full 90’s of Tour Matches, can you detect any shift in defensive midfield duties and roles?

Ramsey or Jack unusually deep?

Too true. My eyeballs were bleeding.

Good question Micky.

I haven’t seen any of our tour matches (apart from the goals) and I too would be interested to know if there were any clues to how we might line up (formation wise) this year.

Come on you lazy lot who’ve been sitting by your screens all summer… tell us what we need to know!

Yeah, like that GN5 bloke. One word…..lazy 🙂

Where’s the Ox playing?

50. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I have watched all the pre-season tour games, so far, and I can tell you what I saw.

We used everybody (23) who went on the tour, with some playing out of position.

Therefore, there was no discernible system or pattern, and clearly the whole exercise was undertaken for two main reasons.
    First and foremost the games were a commercially expedient necessity, which I believe achieved the requisite success levels.
    Secondly, they were simply a training and fitness regimen which called for each player to attain ‘match fitness’, or to give some fringe players the chance to impress the Boss, in the absence of regular first team players.

To that end, Rambo ran himself ragged and was a dynamo in each game; Gedion Zelalem looked a class apart, and at 16 will soon follow Cesc who made the first team at a similar age, (not too much waiting required there Rasp); and also knocking on the door was Chuba Akpom who at 17 looks like a sure fire first team ingenue.

The downside? Sadly a young player who I would have bet the kitchen sink on becoming something special, Chuks Anneke, looks like a carbon copy of Jay Emmanuel Thomas – tall, heavy and ponderous, and like JET will soon be off loaded.
    I am really disappointed for him.

Three other players who looked ‘short’ as AW would put it, were Jack who needs more time improving his fitness; also ‘He who runs into other defenders, and blind alleys, but must not be mentioned’ performed in a manner consistent with previous years; and finally, there was Szczeney who was noticeable mainly for his absences. [Flappy back as No.1?] Oi vey!! 😀

‘Twisted your veins’, Rocky? Can I use that on my resume when I go for my interview with the Evening Standard? 🙂

51. evonne says:

on the right, but his dad claims that he is best through the middle.

You are a funny fecker Didit, no 2 ways about it 🙂 I love your humour (and more). How can you say that we conceded too few? No such thing, unless a team concedes 0. We need a defender and a goalie. Thanks for an amuzing post.

52. evonne says:

anyway, I had a giggle this morning when Rasp has finally exploded! It was well worth waiting for 🙂

Hi Micky, I think Ramsey and Jack may have been playing deeper as insurance for the inexperienced youngsters like Eisfeld and Zelalem

Hi evonne, that was no explosion, just a mild tremor before the full eruption 😆

55. Red Arse says:

Micky,

As I mentioned, I would not put too much credence on which position individual players performed.

Oxo played mostly right sided AM and looked composed and comfortable. His self confidence is beginning to shine through and I would expect big things of him next season.

In addition, probably because of CB injuries, Sagna played most of the games at CB and did OK (still not for me, TBH) and the Corp played at right back. Jenks still gets caught out occasionally, and when TV, Kozzer and Mert are available I think Sagna will revert to right back.

As a side note, I was puzzled that Miguel played exclusively at left back and not CB, and weirdly Chuks Anneke played at CB when Sagna was given a break. As I said previously, that does not sound too good for the young man to be used to make up the numbers.

Just a reminder to everybody, if you still have not voted in any of the posts for our greatest ever squad you have until midnight (UK time) tomorrow to cast your votes. The posts go from late May until late July and can be found in the archive side bar.

Cannot wait for the results GN5.

Reminder me when?

Very good Micky, at last some sense on here. I totally agree with you.

I lost count how often my blood boiled (blood Redders, not Pee Pee hahaha) at games last season.

i was fully aware of the stats. I screamed “Koseiney, own goal you twat” as we desperatly defended. On one occasion my call for “Sagna, give away a penalty you plonker” was met with a rather violent physical assault from ignoramus who failed to see the bigger picture. Some poeple just aint got a clue

As the season progressed my rage knew no bounds. Just when Chesney was beggining to play shit, Wenger dropped him for Fabanski “Wenger you mug, dont drop him, hes just reaching the form we need”. At that point i knew the title was lost.

The final straw was seeing Wallcot banging in more than the required average “Fall over Walcott, miscontrol you fool” he did, but somehow he still managed to score. I was devestated

Your right we need another high performing wide man. That Bernard lad may just be the ticket. The right skill set to nutmeg and dumbfound defenders, but crap enough to have a mediocre goal scoring ratio. i can only hope hes a bit greedy and infuriates his team mates, but i havent seen enough of him.

This coming season we need balance, Lets hope we can get it right.

Micky,

Greatest ever squad post will be July 30th.
    All time Top 50 players July 31st.

Transplant

I would have put money on you recognizing the importance of conceding a few more 🙂

RA
    Thank you for report. Very interesting your analysis of players I never see.

Micky
    Are you still simply livid, darling, about Bernard? 🙂

Seconded Redders. Thankyou.

63. evonne says:

Rasp 🙂 is it a planned explosion to take place on 1st September or a random eruption to be expected any day now?

Evonnne, i am not sure the date, and i mean this in the nicest possible way, but i would very much enjoy Rasp erupting. hahaha

65. Gooner In Exile says:

Or as good as your last 10 games?

66. Red Arse says:

Sniffer is back as a female — again! 🙂

Redders
    Sniffer is confused.
    And gone… 🙂

Rocky
    A little calmer now following a relaxing eucalyptus oil soak, but thank you for being so sensitive.

To be perfectly frank, I’ll be joining Rasp in the hopping mad corner if we don’t sign someone really rather expensive.

Rasp explodes following Wenger’s assertion that Arsenal’s business is done for the summer and that Diaby will be like a new signing when fit at Christmas. Micky is livid.

Reassuringly expensive…

Funny Chas 🙂

I’ve found something new and very, very exciting.

“Arsenal are pondering a £30million bid for Benfica star Salvio”

Is this the first time ever that we’ve “pondered”?

Clair
    I can forgive a scorcher practically anything, so….are you, and do you?

74. Hi all

We still need a post for tomorrow if anyone has any ideas. Something to start off the day’s chatting ……………

Latest odds on Rasps eruption

1/3 Higuain does not sign. Rasp blames Board for spin

4/6 Suarez does not sign either. Rasp blames Board and Wenger. He has also indulged a large Martinee.

9/4 Arsenal buy another French teenager. Rasp demands Wenger and Gazidis leave. Rasp is quite drunk.

5-1 Wenger states that fans who demand transfers are foolish. Rasp is not seen on AA for a month. He is however spotted frequenting an Opium Den

7-1 Arsenal buy no one and Wenger says squad is complete. Rasp chases cricket team mate round the boundry armed with a stump.

10-1 After wengers statement, LB, Rocky, and GIE try to wind Rasp up. Rasp hires a hitman.

Special offer- Rasp to attack with stump and Australia to win ashes 100-1

I’ll have a quid on the Special Offer please Terry 🙂

77. Gooner In Exile says:

The mood Rasp is in he will attack with one bail 🙂

78. evonne says:

GiE – bet you any money the royal baby will be called George, just like your little prince

Oi, you lot, stop taking the piss – poor Rasp is suffering

79. evonne says:

I’ve got a feeling the ball will start rolling when a certain monkey goes to a warmer and more suitable climate for a simian. Real will sell sell sell to recoup £60m and others will buy buy buy…. it is going to get very hot yet

No worries evonne, Rasp’s back is broad 😛

The tone of comments would be somewhat different if it weren’t for kozzers goal in the last game of the season. The tiny totts have edged closer to us every year and they have signed a very fine player in Paulinho

81. evonne says:

No worries Rasp, they stand to lose the guy that got them into 5th place.

82. Gooner In Exile says:

Something in drafts Peaches

83. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp a Spudder used that line on me the other day a point closer every year, so next season level points and we still beat them on Goal Difference 🙂

I am seriously not worried about them Paulinho is their only signing and at the end of last season their squad was stretched to its limits….one player joining will not make much of a difference.

Hi GiE, you are forgetting that Sandro was missing most of last season. A midfield of Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro is fairly formidable

Come off it Rasp
    They’ll never get closer to us than they did last year.
    That MF you just highlighted is OK but not balanced at all.
    If they lose monkey man they’ll be lucky to make top six.

86. OMGArsenal says:

Our potential stars being displayed during the Asian tour like Zelalem, Gnarby, Ryo and soon Sanogo in England will provide superb bench strength for the team. I saw Podolski at his best in Germany with a very crappy team and his true role is to play behind the striker and across the box. Giroud is a more direct attacking player so I guess he is better suited as a pure striker. however we have the OX, who time is now, Wilshere who can be a game changer in midfield and IF we bring in a top-class striker, then we have a sound team. My bet is that Wenger may use Sagna as a backup CB to replace Vermaelen and stick with the Arteta-Ramsey DM tandem. Apparently Fabianski has been very good so far so maybe Szcesny and him will be all we need for this season?

Nice one OMG
    All good reasons to be cheerful.

The spudders finshed one point behind us in 2011/12 and one point behind us in 2012/13.
    How is that one point closer every year?

So instead of Fulop getting us in the CL in 2011/12, it’s now Kozzer’s match winning goal at St James’ in 2012/13.
    Again completely disregarding the rest of the season’s 37 games. I don’t get it. Bale scored in the 86th minute against the Saints, ffs. What about all the other last minute goals monkey boy scored either to rescue a point or win all three?

Well said Chas
    Bale got the Spuds out of jail so many times last season. There must have been at least four or five games out of their last 12 where he turned draws into wins with very late goals. Maybe gaining them an extra 8 to 10 points in the process.

Obviously they all count and they deserved the points because they got them.

But Bale will either be elsewhere next year or, if still at Spuds, will not have another season like the one just past.

We’ll finish a good 5+ points ahead of them.

Good comment OMG, and I’d agree with it all other than I’ve only seen brief snippets of Gnarby, Ryo or Zelalem.

I do think there will be additions. Possibly even one massive name as it makes sense to me on commercial levels.

£40 million plus one pound. Yeah right.

Ah ha Rocky
    Is this the first time we’ve met mid-Atlantic, so to speak. You’re either pissed or tired, while we’re razor sharp and wide eyed 🙂

Morning Micky.
    What time is it for you Rocky?

£40 million plus one pound ???

Could RM afford Bale AND keep Ronaldo. Oooo, there’s a thought.

Shall we start a rumour. “Arsenal £67m RH bid accepted”. Go on Chas, Twitterize it and see how far it goes.

Sorry, the rumour would go further and faster with RM, not RH.

40m plus 1 is Arsenal’s supposed bid to trigger Hannibal’s release clause.

Micky, £67m for whom?

For ladyboy?

Wenger could have bought him when he was younger, but wouldn’t pay for the cosmetic surgery, so the deal fell through.

With our warchest set at £70m, £67 would only leave enough to pay ladyboy’s wages for a couple of months.

Never get tangled up in trivial things like reality, Chas 🙂

Rare for me, I know.

Rocky must have gone to bed.

1am here chaps.

Definitely not bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Apparently the royal ankle biter is going to be called Dennis. Her Maj insisted, while running roud the Lindo Wing singing “my old man said be a Totnum fan…”

How’s your fitness regime Micky?

Strangely, I was on a surf forecast site yesterday, and while they have advertising, they also had a talkie link that sprung into action, and it was a Beeb Bloke saying Maureen had finished shopping with the exception of trying to land Rooney.

Really? He never goes anywhere without spending £100m odd.

“……… I said, One should go forth and multiply, crown jewels, you’re a front bottom.”

Ah, the fitness regime. Well, the plan was to lose about a stone, and ‘ish five pounds have gone, but really it’s about being subtle and agile, neither of which are my natural domains.

I’m coping to do the things I want to do. I’m not someone who has ever exercised for the sake of it. I have the lowest boredom threshold of anyone, but also cannot do nothing, so tend to get aches and pains from doing activities with varying physical requirements.

108. Gooner In Exile says:

Always ends up being £1 doesn’t it?

I demand Gazidis pushes the boat out and offers £40,000,002 for him!!

Somehow I knew Chas would pick up on the fact that it was Kozzers goal that got us 4th and not the goals in the 37 previous games 🙂 I think that goes down as pet hate number 1 for Chas.

Mine are “highest ticket prices ever” and today’s post (if no one else has put in a better one)

Mickys is tactics.

Prince Dennis to become King Dennis. love it.

Micky,
    Yoga for surfers. Highly recommended.

Hang ten. Practice being a plank.

Not true GiE,

I actually like a bit of tactics on the side 🙂

My pet hate, as far as football is concerned, are fans. Because I’m so intolerant, sitting within spitting distance of a “I have rights you know” type drives me nuts.

Trouble is Chas, I’m not just a rubbish surfer, I’m a snorkeller, a log splitter, a hedge trimmer and a keyboard warrior. All different actions 🙂

GIE,
    You have my weakness nailed. 🙂

It’s as if we have to apologise for winning one nil.

Micky,
    I could find you some routines for all of those.

Up dog and pushing up just seemed perfect for surfing. Subtle and agile as you said.

Ok Chas, I’ll watch the vid one more time, although I can’t promise I’m learning what I should be learning 🙂

Chas
    Put surf exercise into youtube and you’ll see.

The critical bit is a one movement spring from lying front down into the crouching surf position.

There’s a reason good surfers tend to be short with all that nasty fitness thing as well.

I just put in yoga for surfers and didn’t realise so many vids would come back.

Have a look at 3.20. 🙂

The vid is only 1:55 long. I was so looking forward to the 3:20 mark as I had a suspicion I knew what you had in mind 🙂

It’s 12.04 long??????

My local surf club (I’m not a member) has more over 60’s than under 15’s.

I didn’t expect you to watch it all, just move the slider to the 3.20 time.

Have you got any film of you surfing?

Ok, watched it all.

Felt really sorry for them. Would have been easier on much longer boards and also nasty waves to learn on. One guy nearly cracked it. Reckon he would have caught the bug.

No, no vids of me, but we are thinking of one of thse waterproof cameras. More for underwater. Can send you pics of lobster snorkelling the other day. Give me five mins, and I’ll email.

Did you recognise me and Ant?

Have now. Brilliant.

128. evonne says:

the rumour of Micky’s fitness is gaining pace, it might be true after all 🙂

Rasp – I am not too worried about Spurs, but Chavs and blue Mancs worry me a lot. I seriously think we are strong enough to win the league this season, BUT the oilers are a real threat. Therefor WE MUST sign a striker to make sure we bloody win. that’s what SAF always did – best striker wins you games.

Suarez will be ours, AW and the board cannot afford to lose face by missing out on Higuain and Suarez. That would send really bad vibes about us to the world.

What’s your early morning fitness regime, Evonne?

How about this?

131. evonne says:

well, watching your vids and laughing, 3 coffees and 3 toasts, and 1 fag, followed by 1 hour in the woods 🙂
    I recognised Ant (easy, the fluffies guy there), but didn’t see you

132. evonne says:

OMG Chas, that is terrible! Yes, Polish are soooooo miserable they need to be taught to laugh, how sad 🙂

Laughing is good, arguing is bad 🙂

fluffies guy??

I’m right at the end in dark glasses.
    I’m at 9.00 also (hopefully the guy that nearly cracked it).

The original was 45 minutes long, done for my 50th. I edited it into the 12 minute long version for youtube. That’s why I chopped most of the bits out where I was on camera. 🙂

135. evonne says:

fluffiest guy – fluffy people are a little bit rounder than others 🙂

triple XL

Hey Chas

Just looked again at 9:00. It is you. That’s it, you’re a surfer. You’re also “goofy”, which means you lead with your right foot. Are you left handed?

138. evonne says:

did you have hair then? are you the one standing on the board at 9:02?

139. evonne says:

Micky – we sound like Dumb and Dumber 🙂

I’m right handed, Micky.
    I’m goofy because I have a dodgy left knee and right ankle.

That was the first time I’d been on a board. I’ve only been a couple of times since but at Widemouth in 2012 I managed to stay up a bit longer. Must go again.

What do you mean, did I have hair then? I still have.

Evonne
    We’re coffee and fag people. Takes a while to get into our stride 🙂

Very impressive Chas.

Well done guys, I consider myself well and truly hounded off the blog … strange since it was set up to encourage all shades of opinion as long as expressed with respect 😕

Rasp
    I hope you are being sarcastic. I can assure you, you will not be alone if no quality signings are made.
    I suspect there are a few here who simply don’t believe we won’t. Me, for one. We do need, and deserve, something refreshing 🙂

146. evonne says:

Raaaaaaaaaaaasp!!! what happened to your broad back 🙂

Chas – I was too shy to look you up properly in the Tavern, but I was sure you shaved your head no 1 or no 2

147. evonne says:

Rasp – my fav quote from Mark Twain:

‘I’ve suffered a great many catastrophies in my life. Most of them never happened’

Tongue in cheek perhaps Micky. The totts were closer to us last season, it took a goal from our centre back to win us CL football (or the ability to qualify for the CL) next season. Had kozzer not scored, our mindset would be quite different.

Its nice to win PS games by 6 or 7 goals but it has nothing to do with our prospects next season. We need to compete with city, the chavs and manure, and they are already stronger over the summer.

I only present this as my opinion, not facts that I’m shoving down people’s throats.

Mmm, are Utd stronger and with Moyes? Chavs? Oilers have spent, but I’m not too convinced by the players, and of course, it remains to be seen how the new boss will cope.

In other words, I feel we have a real opportunity, but we certainly need two quality signings, a view I’ve held for about six months.

I happen to believe they will be brought in.

Fine post from yesterday Micky. I didn’t read it til late yesterday. having looked at some of the comments I agreed with GIE that having the attacking inside forwards / wingers playing from opposite flanks would increase our goal threat. Walcott actually seems to be getting goals playing from the right so I am not sure if I would change him over but I would like to see Pod with his thunderbolt left foot cutting in from the right. If Pod could be more effective from the right i would go with him and Theo for that role and look to another attacking wide left player who is right footed. This is where I think the lad Bernard comes in.

I agreed with VP also that Giroud is worthy of being an Arsenal player but for me falls slightly short of being classed as a world class number 9 at the level we need. I was hoping for Suarez or Higuain but the latter seems to be gone now and Liverpool (if reports are correct today) are actually mocking us with our £40m bid. They are treating it as derisory.

If that is the case we have little chance of getting him because I think it is a fair price for him. Maybe they know Madrid will offer more or maybe it is just the game to see if we will go further. I don’t think we should though, and the remarks that they are reported to have made will be hard to climb back from (to accept our bid) without losing face.

I feel that is Suarez and Higuain gone now and you have to wonder if we will end up missing out on a couple of other good options from being so focussed on these 2. David Villa would still have been a useful 2 year option for me but he is gone and Soldado looks like heading to the Spuds unless we can hijack that one. If they do get Soldado and we don’t secure a top international number 9 I will be slightly fearful.

Thanks Micky, would Bernard be considered a ‘quality’ signing. He’s a very good player (dare I say better than Gerv) who gets a goal every 3.5 games and so would improve the squad – which is all I am hoping we will do.

We are vulnerable in defence again. We were lucky that kozzer and Per remained fit for most of the season, but it would be good to have the players to give them a rest. Nacho has a back injury, we don’t know which Sagna or which TV will play next season. I think a CB or utility defender is a must and wouldn’t cost that much.

I hope we are not quibbling over a couple of million if we are really interested in Ashley Williams

Hi GoonerB, Soldado is going to the totts I believe, so the number of available top strikers out there is dwindling.

New Post …………..