Arsenal’s Positional Priorities for this Transfer Window.

I am very much in the Camp that says we have a very good squad, with a number of players who will only get better with playing time.

Now, given that a season is long, and players will need a rest and injuries will occur, I’d still say that we should add two players who would improve the First XI. Refreshing the team, providing competition, and giving the side new dimensions.

Many big names are being chucked around amongst the Red Tops, but I don’t want to discuss individual targets or players, simply the positions where AA’ers would like to see improved models.

For the sake of this chit chat, I’ll assume that none of the current first squad are leaving.

Here are my priorities in order:

1. Striker

2. Defensive Mid

3. Left Wing

As far as the defence is concerned, I don’t think it is any coincidence that the unit improved as the personnel stabilized. Consistency and understanding is everything. I also happen to believe that Verm will return to form and provide excellent rotational options, that with fixture pile ups and injuries, will still see him with plenty of playing time.

Perhaps more controversially, I’d stick with Sz as first choice. We have invested much time in a player, who as a keeper, still has his best years ahead of him, and I can only see the extra playing time and maturity improving him and the basic errors of judgement being erased.

Your Priorities?

You can vote for up to 3 positions.

Written by MickyDitIt89

92 Responses to Arsenal’s Positional Priorities for this Transfer Window.

Thanks Rasp.

No prizes for guessing where my votes went.

I voted “striker” by gut feel but logically we need a left winger.

None of our left side options is a natural winger – we just make do.

3. blimey, 105 votes in a matter of minutes!!
    I am in agreement with most re goalie and striker, let’s hope AW sees our point too

Raddy – if Wayne joins our forces you will eat something unpleasant – jellied pig trotters? I know how to cook it 🙂

I wonder if Kelsey would do a forfeit if Torres goes elsewhere? Would he shave off his goldy locks?

p.s. I love a vote

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

I’ve cast my votes, in order of importance they are:- striker, ‘keeper and defensive mid.

Wenger spotted a weakness in Szczesny’s temperament last season and dropped him for a number of games, we can’t take the chance of a repetition.

Arteta did a magnificent job as fill in defensive midfielder last time around but can he sustain the levels for another season?

There is no question, we need a striker.

There may be a need for a central defender if rumours in the press are to be believed, Barca are set to make a £9.5m offer for Koscielny who has already intimated that he could leave if Arsenal’s summer signings do not match up to his ambitions.

£9.5 million seems a paltry sum for such a good player but then we seem to accept paltry sums for our best, witness the fees received for The (maybe not so) Homesick Spaniard. Na$ri and The Little Dutch Boy.

6. gunnerpete says:

Whilst its easy to tick boxes it is no explanation as to the choice! I would like to see Sagna added to the clearout alongside Djourou and be replaced with another top defender like Williams. This gives us the defensive solidity missing for years. Sagna has been tapped like most others in the past 7/8 years and it has ruined what has been a very good player. He alone cost us 10 points last season. Coquelin should also go for good money and replaced with higher quality…this agin plugs a flaw we have had for many years. If we can get a world class striker to add to Giroud and the Pod it would be great. A genuine feel good signing like Felaini would give the whole squad a big lift too but AFC don’t usually think laterally do they. As for Nani if he would cost under £8 mill then its not much of a risk because unlike Arsharvin he will work. I am also pleased with the two additions for low fees Sonoga and Cowley that will give us even more quality within 12 months.

Sad to say though that as usual the Chelskis, Liverpools, Manures and Cities have started actually signing players and not continuously being linked with them…..and AFC……well all ever hear is who may be going!

7. atid says:

If u line up our current first x1 and back up x1 (the ones most favoured by wenger) I think the deficiencies are obvious but not plentiful

Szczesney
    Sagna mertesacker koscielny gibbs
    Arteta ramsey
    Walcott wilshire cazorla
    Giroud

Fabianski
    Jenkinson djourou vermaelen monreal
    Coquelin diaby
    Chamberlain rosicky podolski
    Gervinho

Current first teamers not included: mannone santos frimpong ryo park chamakh bendtner campbell

Older academy players not included: martinez boateng miquel yennaris aneke galindo eisfeld wellington sanogo afobe

I would say that the 3 players most under threat in the first x1 are szczesney ramsey and giroud. If they are replaced they would drop into the back up x1 and take the places of fabianski gervinho and either coquelin or diaby. Sagna might also be on his way due to his contract situation so that is another possible opening in the first x1. Djourou is another in the back up squad, whose place might be under threat, whilst rosicky is in a similar situation to sagna with regards to his contract.

Obviously we have a number of places still available in the 25 man squad so some new players could also replace some of those on the not included lists

8. mase says:

Wenger should give us the player we need in time and he should spend wisely

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

Can’t argue with that, mase

10. Paul joesph says:

Arsenal need matured & experience play makers, so going 2 market is the answer.

11. Red Arse says:

I saw what was evidently a Micky inspired headline, and thought to myself – ummm, I love a bit of dirty dancing talk about positions, Transfer Window or not.

I am always happy to learn from the master.

Trouble is, I am completely baffled by your incomprehensible choices for these positional complexities. As a man brought up on soixante neuf, troilism and fellatio (for some reason Arsenal seem to want to pay Everton for this little peccadillo) I do not understand what a ‘box to box left back’ position is and although a ‘midfield enforcer’ sounds deliciously wicked, you will have to enlighten me on what is involved.

Anyway, I tip my top for your ingenuity in enlivening the close season with some more conducive and educational activities than the usual prosaic gardening or (in your case) the impaling of some unsuspecting lobster on one of your BBQ prongs – tho’ I am now wondering if that is yet another Kamasutraic coital reference.

Excellent stuff, and I look forward to further titillation.

12. The font says:

I tried titillation once

13. Dominic says:

Everyone keeps talking about the players we need to bring. I think we need to look at how we play. When we get possession we are so slow at moving the ball that the opposition have time to amble back and mass their defense before we even cross the half way line.

Striker please.

Don’t see any problem with Szezceny, yes he had a dip but he was benched and has come back a wiser, more focused player. He is still on course to become the Worlds Number One as many of us have suggested in the past.

“Koscielny who has already intimated that he could leave if Arsenal’s summer signings do not match up to his ambitions.”

I am not sure which is worse, the suggestion that this rumour might be true or the spreading of it.

If Arsenal’s summer signings do not match up to his ambitions?

I despair…………….

I can’t really vote as to me the most important factor is to have the basis of a good team that is also settled , as shown in the last 12 games, and then add class as to where the boss feels it is necessary.What I want may not be what the boss wants but then you may ask why have we bid for Torres and most probably other strikers. Is it to show intent that we really are looking for quality players (though some may argue that Torres has lost his self confidence)
    If Kos is another one allegedly saying what RVP said then we are in trouble.
    Players see AW on a daily basis and I am sure that he is far more open to them, especially those who he rates and wants to keep than any rumour one might read spread via twitter and a like.
    The problem is our wage structure and any big name signing will demand a fee most probably in excess of any other player curently at the club and then that leads to resentment by others.
    I now we have heard it for a few seasons that money is available but this Summer I believe it and as much as i didn’t think we coud play ugly and win during the run in last season that showed a change of policy and formation by Wenger so I remain hopeful.

Re: The Koscielny leaving rumor, I refer you to today’s Arseblog.

According to him (a man I trust), Kos said just 3 days ago that he was happy and staying at AFC.

As ridiculous as the suggestion that any club would pay £85m for an ape

18. dandan says:

Agrees with Big Raddy 12:35 and would be pleased to know, how we know we have bid for Torres, who incidentally I feel would thrive at Arsenal.

Will now read and vote Mickey 🙂

I have always been a fan of Torres, his positional play is exceptional and he makes some incredible crosses – a skill that is badly needed at Arsenal. However his ability to score s lot of goals seems to be a thing of the past and what we badly lack is a player of the Wright, Wright, Wright calibre who can score goals for fun.

Another negative would be his fragile ego, if he did not meet the expectations of the Emirates crowd then their reaction to him would destroy what little ego he had left.

20. Red Arse says:

Summer Light – Dapples the Tree
    Summer Light – Envelopes Me
    Summer Light – Palest Gold
    Summer Light – Bright and Bold
    Summer Light – Football Rumor
    Summer Light – Treat with Humor
    Summer Light – Sun Descend
    Summer Light – Makes Shadows Bend
    Summer light – Thank God for You.

Roll on Autumn – Transfers Over, All Forgotten.

GN5. Given the impatience of the Emirates boo boys, your comment about Torres’ fragile ego is spot on. Look at what has happened to Gervinho.

RA. One of yours?

23. jnyc says:

Striker, dm, cam

24. TW got married on Sunday. Congrats Theo!!

25. Red Arse says:

Hi Randy,

To tell the truth I wanted to put the TW into context, and in the back of my mind I recalled the structure of a seasonal poem I had read, but pretty much forgotten, and wrote new words to suit my mood and feelings about the nonsense always written at this time of year about transfers that are purportedly being pursued by Arsenal.

26. Norfolk Gooner says:

Nil desperandum LB, the rumour is out there whether you like it or not. No point in burying your head in the sand.

27. Red Arse says:

NG,

I thought LB was referring not to rumours, but to the cheek of a player, or his agent, putting forward his own conditional and subjective opinion of the club’s ambitions, and basing his future transfer move on that hypothetical judgement.

Unfortunately Kozzer is not the first player to play that particular tune, and it is a feeble excuse made by certain types of player/agent to try and engineer their departure to pastures new (and more profitable).

For proof of this you need look no further than Van Persie saying much the same thing this time last year.

There have been others, too, including Patrick Viera who put this ‘ambition’ argument forward, years ago.

Whatever – it grates to hear such crap, and altho’ players often deny they said any such thing, or it was lost in translation, the old adage that there is no smoke without a fire holds true, especially in this disloyal and money grubbing age.

Suddenly GN5’s position on summer transfer gossip is making an awful lot of sense.

29. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA, as you say “there is no smoke without fire”.

Going by the previous examples you list it seems reasonable to suppose that, having had a very good half a season, Koscielny feels that now would be a good time to look for a move to a higher paying club and one where his chances of actually winning something are a bit more realistic.

Much as we all wish to be optimistic and are looking forward to a much stronger squad being able to compete for major honours next season the reality is that eight years is a long period of drought. The opportunity to move to Barca, where a La Liga title looks to be a nailed on certainty, must be a great temptation.

30. Red Arse says:

I’m afraid you are right, NG.

Until we get back into the groove and winning things, the call of the ‘bigger’ more successful clubs will always cause us problems when they turn their attentions to our players.

31. Red Arse says:

Just read the sad news of the death of ex-Arsenal striker, Geoff Strong, a favourite of my dad.

Any of our more senior AAers see him play?

Afternoon all.

Some great football in The Confederations Cup if anyone’s watching.

Superb teams like Brazil, Uruguay Spain, Italy, Nigeria, Mexico and………..Tahiti 🙂

Interesting Poll Results, although GK in third. Are you nuts?

I am glad you are debating a subject I brought up i.e. Kos 🙂

35. Joe says:

Next months newspaper headlines Arsenal player any Arsenal player to Barcelona or Munich. My advise stop believing them and stop worrying about them also wear sun screen. That’s how we will all get to enjoy what’s left of the summer.

Don’t panic Kelsey, I’m ignoring you 🙂

Joe
    Some of us only believe the one’s we want to believe, so for me the Kos story is bollocks, whereas that bloke Kelsey’s Torres story is 100% correctamundo.

I sawGeoff Strong play. A proper old fashioned player.

Now I was very young back then but I recall him starting as a striker and then moving back into midfield but with my memory that could be cod’s

39. Red Arse says:

Micky meant to say; “for me Kelsey’s story is bollocks, whereas that Kos story is 100% correctamundo.”

Phew – glad we got that sorted! 🙂

You’re bloody awkward you are RA 🙂

You have to remember that we have bid for many players and the deal hasn’t gone through for one reason or another as Wenger himself has told us that a while later.
    I am 100% certain that we bid not once but twice for Schwarzer two seasons back and he wanted to come but the then Fulham manager Hughes blocked the deal.

I love you too RA 🙂

Given that a Striker is going to top the polls, makes me wonder what type we all think would fit.

I’m glad the Jovetic rumours appear to have fizzled out, as for me he is injury prone and not the out and out opportunist we need.

44. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I was hopeful of an informative response to my question @ 11 a.m.

My ignorance on the subject matter is no excuse for ignoring me. as well as Kelsey [who is my favourite rumour-monger!] 😀

45. Red Arse says:

The Poll results, so far, have a beautiful symmetry, rather like an inverted pyramid!

Just talking dirty for a moment, but Sky have just slashed the odds on us signing Higuain to 4/9.

Ah, that RA
    I wrote the bits around the edges, and Rasp made the groovy poll with its name tags.

Popping off for a bit.

If we really have signed Higgy, then we are sure to sell one or more of our front players

50. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

Gervinho, the Pod, Theo are dead certs for the chop.

Oops, did I sneak Theo in there? Tut, tut! 🙂

I would be sad to see Podolski go.

52. Joe says:

No one will be sold who I don’t want to be sold that includes everyone who was around the first team last season that is left at the club now.

I voted for three strikers.
    Jovetic is a number 10, ain’t he?

54. It’s like the X factor on here lately .
    Sheep

55. I voted for a new keeper the 3 we have are average.
    #bringbackseaman

56. Gooner in Exile says:

Evening all, thanks for the post Micky, for me Right Back, Stricker, Left Winger in no particular order.

Can we deal with the Koscielny rumour and where it started? From what ive read Sport.es is the starting point, Marca gave it a bit more oomph today.

And anyway only two seasons ago when Kos and Szczesny were combining to continue the trophy drought i’m pretty sure i remember a number of Arsenal fans claiming he was a useless b****** and not fit to wear the shirt etc etc etc. Or trotting out the old line “that’s what happens when you shop at Lidl not Harrods”

And now those will be the same fans to lash out at the club if Koscielny leaves, despite spending the last two/three summers craving the likes of Cahill, then Samba ……. if i was Kos i’d listen to offers too if i’d read half the stuff written about me online.

Very good point, GIE.
    If you send shite out into the world, shite will surely come back to you. Newton’s third law and all that.
    “But you have to be able to criticise, blah, blah…..”

GiE

Very good, and sadly all too true, point.

Interesting your choice of RB. I’m always in favour of progress, and if there is someone out there better in a particular position than we have, then I’m all for it.

However, at RB, I still like the Teacher/Pupil balance in the Sagna/Jenks combo. I do think this might be the season when Jenks claims the spot as his own and until then, it is a very strong rotational option.

Supposing Sagna goes, then it is a very tricky one. Jenks, although perhaps not quite ready to be No1 RB, does have the massive advantage of Arsenal DNA, and I think that is a very major plus.

Chas,
    Bit heavy for this time of day.

Chas

Fair point about Jovetic not being a striker, rather a No10.

One of my reasons for wanting a Left Winger is that if said purchase was a definite starter, then it would be the end of AW sticking Santi out there, and he would only play central.

That’s an exceedingly good point DidIt.

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Good Morning.

Micky my thinking is that Sagna has one season left, we will then have Jenks and potentially Bellerin, and I fear that’ll be a bit young as a pair. It would also be good to see us get in first with transfers rather than react. There are not that many good right backs around.

63. El Tel 08 says:

1. Keeper. Vital if we want to win things, Chesney not good enough.

2. DM. Diaby was never a DM even when fit. We need a WC player in thos position.

3. Striker. We need a finisher like Villa or Rooney if necessary a player tomake the difference in those tight games against ten man defences

Ah, we meet at last GiE

Glad you had such good weather down west. Loved your pics, and also loved the Norfolk Canon signature.

Thought maybe it should be spelt Cannon 🙂

Norfolk Cannon. Very droll

Don’t blame it on the sunshine
    Don’t blame it on the moonlight
    Don’t blame it on the good times
    Blame it on da G.I.E.

Defenders part 2.
    Yippee

Maybe we should stop this talk about a DM. We haven’t played with one since the days of Gilberto and 4-4-2.

I wonder if there is a quote from Koscielny in either the press radio or TV which would confirm that he said such things, it could be in English, French or Polish, we have translators for the latter two.

Some how I suspect this wont appear.

On AA we have trouble filling the week with posts in summer (thanks GN5 and GIE), so imagine how difficult it must be to fill a newspaper and try to find something original to write. The answer is to take two unrelated facts and cobble a story together. As long as you don’t quote sources you are safe…..

e.g. Barca need a CB. Arsenal have one who showed fine form and a vast improvement.

Or. AFC need a striker. Check the goal scorers around Europe who are close to the end of their contracts.

It is all just gossip – which I love – but no more than that, until it is on the official website

LB

God help us if it was in Geordie. I was just driving along listening to one of them making some noise about Kinnear. Not a word did I understand!

71. all I can say to GiE is that I’m glad Kozzer isn’t him and won’t listen to any offers.

Evonne

Just thinking that one through. If Kozzer was GiE, errr….he’d be on twenty a day, and enjoy a few refreshing pints at half time.

Nope, still not seeing the problem.

73. Micky – his (GiE @9:33 ) words not mine 🙂

and now on to you Mr DidIt – with your irresponsible poll – chose 3, yes THREE players we need to buy!! What are you thinking of? Did you not see the news about Hearts going to administration?!

I am in favour of moderate spending being continued at AFC. I’d rather see no trophies, than no team.

LAURENT KOSCIELNY will snub Bayern Munich AND Barcelona to remain at Arsenal.

Koscielny’s agent, Stephane Courbois, had fuelled talk of a move by confirming that the defender is a summer target for Europe’s top clubs.

But the £15million-rated France international, 27, has now told Gunners boss Arsene Wenger he is happy at the Emirates and is not interested in leaving.

The in-demand centre-back, an £8.5m arrival from Lorient three years ago, was outstanding in the second half of last season as Arsenal claimed fourth spot.

And his desire to stay is a huge boost for fans who have become used to losing their top players, such as Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie, in recent summers.

Wenger is prepared to let club captain Thomas Vermaelen leave for the right price.

But he knows Koscielny — who has formed a strong partnership with Per Mertesacker — is a key player.

Wenger has £70m to spend and will this week put in an opening offer of £20m for Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain.

Arsenal now seem to be the sole bidders for the 25-year-old but Real are demanding £25.5m and Wenger will not be willing to go that high.

It is likely the two clubs will meet in the middle — about £22m.

But the situation is complicated by the fact that the Spanish giants are unlikely to do business until they appoint a successor to Jose Mourinho, with Paris Saint-

Germain chief Carlo Ancelotti in the driving seat to take the job.

If Higuain does sign, he would become Arsenal’s club-record buy — smashing the £15m mark set by Andrey Arshavin’s arrival from Zenit St Petersburg in 2009.

Wenger is also reportedly leading the race to sign £10m-rated Asier Illarramendi, who will line up for Spain in tonight’s Euro Under-21 final against Italy in Israel.

The defensive midfielder, 23, has been in outstanding form after helping Real Sociedad qualify for the Champions League for the very first time.

As far as Wenger’s current squad is concerned, there have also been doubts over whether right-back Bacary Sagna will stay with the Gunners, as he is wanted by PSG.

But he seems increasingly likely to see out the final year of his contract before becoming a free agent next summer.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4972980/Laurent-Koscielny-is-keen-to-snub-Bayern-Barca-for-Arsenal.html#ixzz2WY7JTqun

75. Aha, morning Kelsey
    Did you see my request to you yesterday, ie that if we don’t land Torres, you do an honourable thing, a forfeit and shave off your goldy locks

I saw your comment 🙂 silver not goldy.

All this tells me that there is intent to strengthen our strike force and that we could spend more on a player than ever before, therefore the conclusion is that this time we really do have money to complement the squad and build on last season’s run in.

We will see..

77. Gooner In Exile says:

Am I the only one thinking Joe Kinnear maybe ill?

If Toon haven’t appointed him they should come out and say it and then if my suspicions are correct then football family can start helping Joe.

Who cares GIE 🙂

Personally I think the chairman is nuts

A couple of questions to you all.

Does Wenger actually set the wage policy for each individual player ?

If money is really available is he going to change his policy and buy proven PL talent ?

Evonne,

For the second time, Rasp made the poll, not me.
    Do you actually read comments?

82. Gooner In Exile says:

Agree with Raddy, and LB’s normal line on this…..does anyone seriously think Wenger would go to the board and say not to offer Nasri (for arguments sake) more money to stay?

And also go back to Ashley Cole….who blocked the wage increase?

Newcastle have become a comedy club – The Spurs of the North

84. Micky – sometimes I do 🙂

Is anyone around to say ‘New Post’ if I schedule it to publish itself? If not I’ll publish it now ……………

86. Red Arse says:

GIE,

Interesting question, “does anyone seriously think Wenger would go to the board and say not to offer Nasri (for arguments sake) more money to stay?”

I am sure AW would have been party to any discussions concerning Nasri, or any other player, in those circumstances, but if the player wanted to leave for a salary that Arsenal could not afford, it is surely a moot point whether offering him a lot less money than he would get elsewhere would have made any difference, with or without AW’s input.

87. …………. or I’ll publish a bit late …………….

Carry on chatting, be back in a bit ………………….

88. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, Peachy, I’ll do the “New post” honours…

89. Norfolk Gooner says:

Big Raddy,

“Newcastle have become a comedy club – The Spurs of the North”. A tad harsh on the North Eastern Loony Toons. 😀

90. charybdis1966 says:

Bit late on the new post guys, Peachy appears to be editing it at the moment so you’ll have to wait fo rthe next episode of the N5/GiE magnum opus..

91. Sorry chary I missed your comment