Vote for your favourite defenders from Arsenal’s early era.

Today you get to pick defenders from our first era of defenders. The articles published on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week provided in depth profiles on our best defenders spanning from Percy Sands in 1902 to Bob McNab who played up to 1975.

To provide a broader picture of readers’ preferences, you can vote for up to 3 players in this poll.

As others have commented through the week these players have all served the club well, okay Peter Storey may have had a bit of a dubious post playing career but you cannot deny that had you been lucky enough to pull on the red and white that you would have loved to have him alongside you.

Or what about Eddie Hapgood, quite possibly the original Mr Arsenal or was that Joe Shaw who served the club for so many years so loyally and by all accounts successfully.

Hapgood could be seen as the prototype for what players today have become, supplementing his then maximum wage with advertising deals etc.

My personal favourite Walley Barnes, to come back from serious injury which many believed he would not return from he managed to forge a successful career with the club lifting a trophy along the way.

This is the first era of defenders from which you have to vote, the more recent players come next week.

Written by GunnerN5, compiled by Gooner in Exile

111 Responses to Vote for your favourite defenders from Arsenal’s early era.

1. Thanks a million Gunner N5, and GIE…

My vote is IN !!!
    First!

2. I’m confused.
    Although I appear to first here today, the vote system said FOUR votes are in ???

3. Abbas Mujib Kanneh says:

i vote 4 patrick viera and laurent koschieny

4. atid says:

Peter storey was more of a midfielder as I recall. My personal favourite is not on the list. Laurie Scott was an absolute dynamo and was my grandfathers favourite also. Whilst who can ever forget sammy nelson pulling a moonie at the clock end after scoring!!

Nice work Abbas!

I am the only voter on two of my choices,. Always good to swim against the stream, take the road less travelled etc etc (just for you Micky)

Good morning all.

atid,

Laurie Scott never made the top 20 to be profiled, that doesn’t mean he was not a great defender. The amount of games played was one of the criteria used to determine who would make our the top 20 and Laurie only played in 126 – which was 168 games less than the last player chosen.

However, you will see Sammy Nelson in next weeks profiles.

Thank you for your comment.

7. Andy Kelly says:

Wot, no Peter Connolly

This is bloody hard work.

I read them all studiously throughout the week, and have forgotten most of what I read.

Off to do a little revision.

This is where life is so unfair being a man, as women like Evonne only have to go back and look at the pictures πŸ™‚

Tin hat on!

Micky. Given that this is your estimation of the quality control criteria that women exhibit, it is amazing you have a partner πŸ˜€

Raddy
    I know absolutely nothing about women.
    Just what Evonne tells me.

Micky. Who does???

Lesbians and homosexuals, after that, beats me.

Quick Raddy, say something footbally….

Micky,

Offside, The referees a banker – oops!

17. Red Arse says:

GN5,

I have belatedly caught up on your excellent series of Posts, and very informative and enjoyable profiles they were too.

I tip my hat to you, sir! πŸ™‚

like everyone else on here (presumably) I did not know anything about the majority of these players, outside there names.

To be fair and consistent, I have therefore based my votes on the information contained in your profiles.

18. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Having read Evonne’s earlier comment this morning, that she wanted CB to pull his pants down to improve his ‘charisma’, I don’t think you need to worry about sexism! πŸ™‚

Welcome back Red A, I hope all is well.

Thank you for your comments. Through family fireside discussions I knew of some of the players but I also voted based on the profiles.
    However looking at the current votes it would appear that most folks are voting for the players that they have seen play.

20. Red Arse says:

I suppose that it is natural, GN5, that people will vote from personal experience.

The fact that 33 votes (currently) went to ‘oldies’ and 55 votes went to more recent players, shows the power of your profiling which has swayed opinion. πŸ™‚

21. Micky @11:32 – see what I mean? Sometimes it is all I need to know – the best looking defender – Eddie Hapgood! Who gets most votes – Eddie Hapgood. Simples πŸ™‚

GN5 and GiE – I am not undermining your sterling work, not at all. It has been an eye opener and true joy reading about our glorious history; I didn’t know even half of it before your series. But since I never trust any men, I had to go with my instincts, hence emphasis on good physical appearance πŸ™‚

One of my personal hopes was to see see a voting pattern that reflected the players overall careers at Arsenal and that the contributions of the earlier players would be recognized.

However I accept that personal experience, aided by videos and slo mo’s will definitely sway the vote.

friendly, your choices will always be consistent even though they may not make the A or B squads.

Hello All
    I’m in London – hooray! (the place that is, not LB).

Just for a few hours – off to Italy via Stansted at some Godawful time of the middle of the night 😦

I cast my votes – and they were all for chaps from the very early period: their stories were just so fantastic and you just know that those players who were absolute regulars in Chapman’s triple-champions team must have been every bit as tough and brilliant as the GG back five.

The fact that I had never even heard of some of them until a week ago but now I want them in my All Time Squad speaks volumes for the work of Gn5 and his noisy-but-able assistant from the Fens.

It was a bit disappointing to see in the votes-so-far that the more recent names are filling the top spots. Familiarity still seems to count heavily for most voters…

25. GN5 – yes πŸ™‚

You do realise

26. you do realise that I am half joking?

27. Rocky – a few hours at Stansted? Take a train to Tottenham Hale, it’s nice there

FT
    I’m not going anywhere near a place that has THAT word in the name…

friendly, of course I do, you are among the loyalist and most dedicated of Arsenal fans.

Even though, along with their skill set, your final selections may be based on players physiques.

Rocky, my votes all went to the earlier players, although I must admit that one went to Walley Barnes, and I watched him in many games.

31. Arsene says:

Arsene Wenger should be judged over his entire career not just the last 8 years
    Arsene Wenger: 7 Trophies-16yrs 9mos
    George Graham:6 Trophies- 8yrs 9mos.

32. everybody on high alert!!!! the fecking loon is on the lose again!!!

33. Arsene says:

Arsene Wenger should either be offering his resignation on the principle that the board are not giving him the tools to succeed or he should be ousted for being complicit in the decline and running down of the Football Club.

Hello Sniffer, hope all is well with you and that the ointment is beginning to work…

35. what time is your flight Rocky? are you with your family at Stansted?

36. Red Arse says:

Arsenic, the Troll, should either be offering his resignation from AA on the principle that the other bloggers are not interested in his crap or he should be ousted for being complicit in the (attempted) decline and running down of this Blog.

All those in favour say ‘Aye’!

Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye.

On your way, guitar strumming troll!!

37. Arsene Troll says:

Oh, all right, I admit I am a misanthropic dim wit — and I did not even know I could spell that — but no other blog site can stand me, and it is not nice being a Troll No Friends. 😦

38. troll – you are knocking on the wrong door. The Samaritans love listening to sad stories, phone them

RA. Good to see your gravatar again. Hope all is well with you

40. Arsene Troll says:

And yet, Troll, aka Sniffer, you cannot stay away from this supposedly shallow, superficial, lily-livered site that does not want you.

What does that say about you? Nothing good!

Try to present normal, football comments supported by reasoned arguments, and you may find you will be accepted.

It is easy — just try it.

41. Red Arse says:

Hi Randy, πŸ™‚

I have enjoyed GN5’s posts, and many of the comments — but I have already had enough of the Troll — so I bid you adieu! πŸ™‚

RA. Bid me farewell by all means but not because of Sniffer -because then he gets what he wants which is to ruin the site.

Redders
    We have discovered that the troll is actually an old boy of Micky’s school, name of Sniffer Norris. At school Sniffer was a snitch, a weasel, a weakling, a coward and he smelled. Naturally he was shunned by the rest of the pupils.

In light of this sad background I have revised my policy of ignoring the poor wretch and am now extending the hand of friendship. Metaphorically, that is. You wouldn’t want to shake actual hands with Sniffer. Yuk.

Sniffer, is the acne any better? It’s a terrible thing for that affliction to continue into adult life. Never mind. Keep popping ’em!

44. Red Arse says:

Raddish,

I do not think he is trying to ruin the site, oddly enough, he just does not have the requisite social niceties to get on with anyone else.

If he stopped being a boring one line melancholic pessimist, he might be tolerated, if not on this site, then somewhere else – who knows?

45. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocket,

Have you departed to Italy yet?

Business or pleasure? Where?

Do not answer any of those questions, I was just being nosey!! πŸ™‚

I hope you left New York the way you found it. I am becoming very nostalgic, and think a visit to Hells Kitchen is becoming ever more alluring.

Now that tells you all you need to know about my current state of mind! πŸ™‚

RA. Once again your wisdom shines it’s light upon AA.

Did you see that kelsey, who is usually right about such things, says we have put in a bid for Torres?

Ah Ha Ra Ra Red Arse,

Great to have you back.

48. Red Arse says:

Darn it, Raddy, I have searched high and low looking for a source for that Torres rumour, and, in truth, the only mention I can find is a scurrilous attempt by Kelsey, that naughty wig wearer, on AA.

Personally, I am convinced that we are going to sign Higuain, or Jovetic, or Michu, or Boney, or Rooney or all of them!!!

Torres? Tssk!!

That’s Kelsey – doing a number on us! πŸ™‚

Raddy,

About the Torres bid. Could be just trying to smoke the chavs out. Let’s assume they’re after a Hulk or Cavani and even a Rooney, then he must be surplus.

Crikey, a front two of Wayne and Hulk would be, errrr……heavy.

50. Red Arse says:

I have not really been away, Mickydopholous, and I have enjoyed your discourse, most mornings, with Cheerful Chas!! πŸ˜€

I have experienced a little problem, as they say, encompassing a large syringe, which hopefully is restoring me to something like my usual (ab)normal self!! πŸ˜€

[Actually, Rockadillo threatened me, and told me to sod of – how English – so I threatened him back — and he fled to Italy, not realising that was my prime domain!! ] Yerrhahahha!! πŸ™‚

RA
    Sniffer (Dial sq) is unwanted on The Grove, so that’s going some.

Now I think about it, the fact that there is no trace of a source to Kelsey’s Torres story, actually adds weight to it in my book.

Had it been tracked down to The Star or L’Equippe or anywhere, my reaction would have been “yeah right”, but no source implies insider knowledge to me.

This is the way of thinking of a genuine gossip sleuth. Me.

53. Shard says:

Anybody up for a pint today? Apologies. Im typing this on the move

Hi Shard
    Don’t think anyone who is on at the moment is London based.
    Hope you are enjoying your tour.

Must go taxi service.

I voted for those that had won loads of trophies.
    That’s how shallow I am.
    Looking forward to next week already.

Presumably the midfielders and forwards are split over two weeks also.
    Goody, 5 more weeks of GN5’o’mania.

58. Gooner In Exile says:

Shard it’s ashame you have not been able to meet up with anyone yet on your trip not many of us live within the City limits….next time do try and make it during the footer season and you are guaranteed to meet a few of us at least on Matchday (and you never know Peaches could work her magic and get you a ticket).

What are your plans next week?

59. Gooner in Exile says:

They are Chas….which reminds me…better start loading up GN5’s midfielder posts.

60. Gooner in Exile says:

My votes went to Shaw, Barnes and Storey. Shaw just because until GN5’s posts i did not know anything about him, and i really think i should know a lot about him.

Once again, thank you GN5 and GIE

What i have realy enjoyed about this series is all the historical stuff i have picked up about the Clubs history from the articles and the responses gaged.

I guess each player has his own tale about his time at the club which then, as pieces come together give a greater insight to the Clubs larger picture.

These sort of lessons are invuable, and to be honest rather humbling. In an era of multi millonaire players, demanding fans etc, i find the posts to have instigated a “human” touch to Arsenal and football in general.

GN5, my only regret is that you are North American based. I would very much enjoy meeting you before a game, buying you a beer, and annoying you (hahaha) by asking a host of questions about what it was like to go to games in these long ago eras.

I’d echo Transplant’s comments. Terrific week. Thanks to GN5 and GIE.

I have just spent a while revising and readying myself to vote.

I went for Barnes, Butler and Male for a variety of reasons, but as others have said, it is testimony to the posts, as two of them were new to me.

63. Shard – I wanted to offer to meet you for a drink, but I guess that the last thing you want to do is meet up with an old biddy! No fun, none whatsoever unless you are even older than me

And as usual I agree with GiE – you have to work harder on getting the timing right, during the season you would meet all of us in a short space of time.

Good morning Micky, Chas and the Morning Club πŸ™‚

On my way to Stansted for a Ryanair 😦 flight to Brindisi.

Shard – meet up with Evonne (FT) if you get the chance – you’re in for a treat!

I think it’s a real shame that you’ve come all this way from India (?) and not met any AAers. As others have said, outside of the footy season people scatter to the four winds.

Peaches/Rasp
    I think I’ll be OK to get a Post written today for tomorrow but there’s a chance I’ll run into wifi issues in Italy so it might be worth having a spare from someone else in the loading bay.

Morning, Rocky.
    Ryanscare from Stansted. Good luck. Priority boarding, sir?

Right back for the future?

Sadly not Chas
    Take our chances with the sweaty horde.

Is she going too?

πŸ™‚

Young bloke in the line in front if has just been stung for 170 quid because h didn’t check in in advance.

Ouch. Have you got a fiver ready for when you need a pee?

Nice vids Chas
    Have wrangled the family through security – time for egg and bacon now πŸ™‚

Don’t want to eat on the plane – a Ryanair sarnie will probably cost more than the flight.

So I suppose Micky has a lie in on Sundays, eh Chas?

Shirker, is what I say πŸ™‚

Has anyone else reported Kelsey’s story that we’ve bid for Torres?

Sundays are ‘special’ breakfast days for Micky.
    You can’t beat a toasted lobster sandwich before you go to church.

He’s living the dream, Chas.

Love that phrase.
    Enjoy your egg and bacon.
    Sneaky pint, too?
    Have a great Italian break.
    Off out. Tara a bit.

Ah ha

Did I smell Bacon?

Rocky
    How does Stanstead rate on the Bacon Sarny scale. I’m practically living in either Exeter Airport or Charles de Gaulle The former scores a 3.5 and the later Zero Points.

Next up, Torres a good move for you?

Morning Micky
    Had a pretty OK egg, bacon, toast – a good 6.5

Torres – mixed feelings but he could be sensational in a AW team playing alongside Santi and Cesc πŸ™‚

On the other hand if he has a start like he had for the Chavs…

Brindisi. Had to look it up and surprised flights don’t go to Lecce or Bari. Still, the Heel. Never been to that corner, although nearly a few years ago. Unusual round houses.

Wife reserved me a long-leggy seat for Father’s Day πŸ™‚

On the other hand it’s at the front of the plane so in the event of a “mishap” I’m a cert to buy the farm, whereas she – at the back – has a chance of getting out and cashing in the insurance. Food for thought.

He’d be ok if he played in an AW team with Santi, Cesc, Messi and Neymar.

Not greedy!

Can fly to Bari but Brindisi is about an hour closer to our destination which is, indeed, one of those funny round houses (known as trulli).

It’s proper peasant country Micky – you would live the food.

Or even love it.

Ha ha Rocky

I was in Business class to NY, and the bloke next to me had a girl with him back in cattle that he was taking to propose to!!!

I think he was pushing his luck πŸ™‚

Haha – great story. And they say romance is dead πŸ™‚

Ah Trulli.

Guess its proper food down there. Why I think Italian Grub is the best is because it’s about the quality of the ingredients and there’s very little poncy about it.

Your probably about to board, but quickie, do you blog from Phone, Laptop or Tablet when on the move?

Phone right now but have an iPad as well but the WordPress app on iPad is rubbish (good on iPhone though).

Right, the flight nazis are on my case.

Talk later.

πŸ™‚

Darn that’s impressive.

On my phone (android) the comment box is at the top and if some bastard has written a popular post then it’s constant swooshing up and down.

95. cannot understand how people can eat meat or curry in the morning. Just thinking of it makes me sick….
    My mother had breakfast with her friend last week. they shared jellied pig trotters – polish version of full fried πŸ™‚

96. I’d love Kelsey even if he was completely bold, BUT I cannot believe a word he says πŸ™‚ Last year he promised as Dempsey. And where did Dempsey go?? Let’s hope that Torres doesn’t go there too

I spent some time down in that part of Italy. The trulli villages are odd – felt a bit like being in The Shires (Lord f the Rings).

Bacon and eggs on toast – what a fab brekkie. Muesli and yoghurt here 😦

I’d actually prefer Kelsey if he was completely bald.

I actually find his hair offensive πŸ™‚

actually…oh dear

Evonne
    You don’t paint a pretty picture of Polish Cuisine

101. offensive hair? where, his back?
    his barnet looks impressive, surprised he is not sporting a fashionable Mohican

3 toasts + 3 coffees, every day for the past 20 years

Poulter made 1 mistake yesterday, 1 bad shot and he is out 😦

102. Micky – foocking van Gogh couldn’t paint a pretty picture of polish food – it is gross

I went to a Russian restaurant on Friday – no wonder they all want to get out of the country, the food was simply dreadful.

Morning all from bold kelsey πŸ™‚

I didn’t promise us Dempsey. We offered and he chose not to come, same thing might happen with Torres but I have a good feeling.
    Spanish players are not so keen to go back to Spain for the time being because of the new tax laws.
    Strange that they are now investigating Messi,who has spanish residence for fraud going back to 2007

. 6 years back is the furthest the law allows. The country is desperate to recoup money from wherever.

Raddy

Many, many years ago, about ten of us went to a Russian Resto in Paris. We made it through the meal on the back of about seven bottles of delicious and varying flavoured vodkas. Asking for bottle number eight, the owner said we could have it for free if we promised to leave the moment we had finished it πŸ™‚

There’s a New Post ………………..

107. Raddy – I think you made a very valid discovery – the worse the food in a country, the more people emigrate to UK!! So perhaps of passport they should be offered food parcels?