Goalkeepers – Day 3

9. Pat Jennings 1977 – 1985

Pat was our keeper for 8 years and played 327 games.

Pat was born in in Newry, County Down, after playing for Shamrock Rovers under-18 side at the age of 11, he concentrated on Gaelic football until the age of sixteen, when he made his soccer comeback with his hometown side Newry Town. After impressing with Newry he moved to English Third Division side Watford.

He was signed by Tottenham Hotspur for £27,000 in 1964. Pat spent thirteen years with Tottenham where he played in 472 league games, and 591 in all competitions. He won the FA Cup in 1967, the League Cup in 1971 and 1973, and the UEFA Cup in 1972.

He played an unsuspecting role in Arsenal’s League and Cup double in 1971 as he was in goal for Tottenham when Ray Kennedy’s header flew past him as Arsenal famously wrapped up the title at White Hart Lane.

jenningsIn August 1977, he was transferred to Arsenal, the fact that Arsenal enjoyed some of his finest years was largely thanks to a miscalculation by Spurs manager Keith Burkinshaw who incorrectly suspected that Pat was approaching the end of his career when he let him leave for Highbury. He found himself out of favour at Arsenal in 1982 as Scottish keeper George Wood assumed the No 1 spot, but he bounced back and regained his starting place until his retirement from club football in 1985. His long career ended in style with an appearance, at the age of 40, at the 1986 World Cup Finals in Mexico. It was a fitting finale for one of our greatest goalkeepers. In total, Jennings participated in the qualifying stages of six World Cups between 1966 and 1986.

After his retirement, he returned to Tottenham Hotspur, playing in their reserve side to maintain his match sharpness for Northern Ireland’s 1986 World Cup campaign. He was also briefly on Everton’s books, having been signed as goalkeeping cover for the 1986 FA Cup Final against Liverpool, Neville Southall having been injured playing for Wales.

In 1973 the Football Writers association named him as its footballer of the year Three years later he won PFA’s version of the award – he was the first goalkeeper to receive this accolade, he also received an MBE and an OBE.

In 2003 Pat was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in recognition of the skills he demonstrated in English football

10. John Lukic 1983 -1990

John played for 7 years and appeared in 298 games.

John was born in Chesterfield, he signed for Leeds United as a schoolboy. He made his debut for them in 1979 and went on to play 165 games. After making a transfer request, he moved to Arsenal in July 1983 for £75,000, as a long-term replacement for Pat Jennings.

gun__1322669536_lukic_johnBy the middle of the 1984-85 season he was the club’s No. 1, and won the League Cup in 1987 and the Division One title in 1989. He was ever present in Arsenal’s first team throughout seasons 1987-88, 1988-89 and 1989-90. He played in the final game of the 1989 season where Arsenal won the title in the last minute of the game against Liverpool, with John starting the move which led to Michael Thomas’ famous goal.

In the summer of 1990 Arsenal manager George Graham signed David Seaman from Queens Park Rangers – Seaman had ironically been his understudy at Leeds. This outraged many Arsenal fans at the time, especially as John was a fan favourite. On his departure, Graham commented “I still think John Lukic is one of the best keepers in the country; I just think David Seaman is the best”

Having played 277 times for the Gunners, he rejoined Leeds for £1million, playing a further 265 times and winning a second League title in 1991-92 and a runners up medal in the League Cup in 1995-96

His career took another twist when he rejoined Arsenal in 1996 as understudy to Seaman and four years later was on the bench for Arsenal’s UEFA Cup final defeat to Galatasaray. John became the oldest player to feature in a Champions League match when, in October 2000, he played against Lazio at the age of 39 years and 311 days.

In 2000, after a series of injuries to the club’s other ‘keepers, he made a brief return to the first team, playing four times. The last of these four games, against Derby County, was a month shy of his 40th birthday – he is also one of several players to have played in the top flight of English football in four separate decades.

11. David Seaman 1990 – 2003

David played for 13 years and appeared in 564 games.

David was born in Rotherham, South Yorkshire; he began his career at Leeds United, the club he supported as a boy. However (much to his disappointment), he was not wanted by then-manager Eddie Gray, who had been his favourite player. David went to Division 4 club Peterborough United for a £4,000 fee in August 1982, where he began to make a name for himself.

Just over two years later, in October 1984, Second Division club Birmingham City paid £100,000 for his services. They ended up winning promotion at the end of that season, but were relegated again at the end of the following season. Seaman was not to follow them back to Division Two, however as in August 1986, David moved to Queens Park Rangers for £225,000. He earned his first England cap, which came under Bobby Robson in a friendly against Saudi Arabia in November 1988. Whilst at Q.P.R.,he was coached by Arsenal1971 double-winner Bob Wilson, who was to work with him for more than a decade.

Arsenal manager George Graham paid Leeds United £1.3 million for him which, at the time was a British record for a goalkeeper with John Lukic leaving to rejoin Leeds. Seaman became the cornerstone of an Arsenal back five which kept 23 clean sheets and conceded just 18 goals en route to the 1990/91 League title. His qualities were manifold – he had sharp reflexes, excellent positional sense, great judgement from crosses and bags of courage.

seaman1504_176880aOne of his most memorable moments came in April 2003 when Arsenal was defending a 1-0 lead in the FA Cup Semi-Final against Sheffield United at Old Trafford. In the closing minutes he was stranded when Paul Peschisolido headed towards goal but somehow he threw himself across goal and reached back to claw the ball away from under the crossbar. What made the save even more remarkable was that it was made in his 1,000th professional game. A month later, as Arsenal’s captain, he lifted the FA Cup at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium following a 1-0 win against Southampton. After 564 appearances and eight major trophies, it was his final act as an Arsenal player and a fitting climax to his Arsenal career.

He retired from the game on 13 January 2004, following a recurring shoulder injury.

He was appointed an MBE in 1997 for services to the sport.

12. Jens Lehmann 2003-2011.

Jens played for 11 years and appeared in 200 games.

Jens was born in Essen, Germany.

The German international signed for Arsenal from Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund in July 2003. During his first spell with Arsenal he played in every match of the Club’s unbeaten league campaign in 2003/04, when he was awarded the Premier League Golden Glove Award for his integral part in the ‘Invincibles’ season. He also won the Premier League title in 2003/04, the Community Shield in 2004 and an FA Cup winner’s medal in 2005, when he famously saved from Paul Scholes in the victorious penalty shoot-out

However, his style of play, often coming out of his goal to intercept passes occasionally led to mistakes, as it did in the title-winning match against Spurs when he pushed Tottenham striker Robbie Keane as they both waited for a Tottenham corner, he also made a mistake that led to the equalising goal in Arsenal’s Champions League defeat at home to Chelsea the same season.

Before joining Arsenal he was a Bundesliga title winner with Borussia Dortmund in 2002, and UEFA Cup winner with Schalke in 1997. He also had a brief spell with AC Milan in 1998.

He was a regular fixture for the Germany national team making 61 appearances before retiring from international football in 2008, Jens was a member of the Germany World Cup squads in 1998, 2002 and 2006, in addition to their squads for the European Championship Finals in 2000, 2004 and 2008.

soc_g_jens_576He was voted UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year for the 1996–97 and 2005–06 seasons, and he has been selected for three World Cup squads and also holds the UEFA Champions League record for the most consecutive clean sheets – not having conceded a goal in 10 matches while playing for Arsenal.

After leaving Arsenal he joined German club Stuttgart, where he spent two years before announcing his retirement from football at the end of last season. He rejoined Arsenal on a short-term basis in March 2011 during the time when, Wojciech Szczesny, Lukasz Fabianski and Vito Mannone were out through injury. He only made one appearance during his three-month spell back, helping Arsenal to victory at Blackpool.

Jens set a national team record of not conceding a goal for 681 minutes in a friendly against Switzerland on 26 March 2008

101 Responses to Goalkeepers – Day 3

1. Red Arse says:

Brilliant career summaries, GN5. 🙂

Now you are moving into a rich vein of goalkeeping talent.

I saw the tail end of Pat Jennings career, and have seen all the following goalies since then.

There are clearly some fantastico Keepers, by reputation, from years gone by, but it is impossible not to to be swayed by those I have personally seen, as opposed to old newsreel clips (thanks Chas) and I still find it hard to choose.

Pat? Brilliant. Lukic? I really enjoyed watching him. Seagoon? Yup, probably my pick, but then I had a soft spot for the mad Jens, tho’ I think he cost us a Champions League.

Fascinating series, well done to both you and GIE, aka Andy! 🙂

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

A petty quibble, if Mad Jens played from 2003 to 2011, that’s only eight years not eleven. 🙂

3. Red Arse says:

For those Transfer Window girlies (they like their gossip) aka Micky and Randy. 😀

— Fernandinho has revealed he has joined Manchester City for £30m to fulfil his World Cup dream. [What’s with all these ‘Dreams’?]

— Arsenal have dumped Andrey Arshavin, Denilson and Sebastien Squillaci and the trio will leave when their contracts expire at the end of the month.

— Arsenal are lining up a £10m move for Bayern Munich utility player David Alaba.

— Aston Villa have warned Arsenal that £25m will “not get you to the negotiating table” for Christian Benteke.

— Juventus will step up their efforts to sign Carlos Tevez if they fail to get Arsenal and Chelsea target Stevan Jovetic from Fiorentina.

— Arsenal have freed up £10m from their annual wage bill after Andrey Arshavin, Denilson and Sebastien Squillaci were allowed to run down their contracts and leave for nothing.

— Jose Mourinho has labelled Cristiano Ronaldo an arrogant know-all. [Kettle and Pot?]

Arsene Wenger is keen to sign Freiburg’s 19-year-old Matthias Ginter in a deal worth £5m. [Especially for you Micky!] 🙂

4. Red Arse says:

NG,

Lehman had 3 spells at Arsenal, including a coaching stint, but he joined us full time from 2003/4 until 2007/8, and then came back as GK cover during an injury crisis, and finally left after coaching for his ‘badges’ in 2011.

[Just a typo, I suspect[.

Interesting read as ever. I had never seen that quote above by George Graham but I think it tells you a lot about the man.

Gn5. Marvellous.

All great GK’s – it really was a purple patch and any of them would be given the shirt if they played today.

Oh how we laughed when we signed Jennings. My Spurs mates were fuming. Not to be repeated until Sol-gate

I remember standing on the North Bank singing “We all agree, Lukic is better than Seaman”. We were wrong 🙂

7. Ironical really, that considering how many great goalies we have had, that in recent years this is the position that has arguably cost us silverware. What an indictment of our manager and scouting staff

Good morning from a very cold and damp London, Ontario.

I see that the chief of my blog protection squad has already been
    looking after my back while I was still sleeping. Thank you oh wise one.

Norfolk, I’ve spent endless hours in both researching and compiling these articles, which contain over 40, 000 words and hundreds upon hundreds of different stats. I seek no praise or applause for my work, as it was a real labour of love, and it has given me an enormous amount of enjoyment, but has not been without some degree of stress..

Pet quibble……..of mine.

I would hope that the occasional error, mistake or oversight, could be understood and not highlighted.

Could Martin be another incarnation of the troll?

LB,

I also enjoyed finding GG’s comment, so simple but so very true. I guess in many ways it also highlights the very small difference between the great and the greatest

BR,

You seem to be well trained at sniffing out the unworthy ones.

12. Belfastgooner says:

Boys wonderful assessment of our stoppers. Thanks for your efforts. Being Irish Big Pat has a special place at the top of the queue.
    BR I couldn’t agree more. Sitting here on a beautiful sunny day, realising how lucky we are, counting my blessings, and then reading a post from Martin that makes me grind my teeth.
    Celebrate the positives and you’ll live longer Martin

redtruth,

The truth is that Seaman may not be my choice as our greatest goalkeeper.

But something stinks about your comment…………

Redtruth.

All headline posts are subjective, that’s how it works.

Try writing one yourself, I am sure the owners would be able to find a slot for it.

LB,

Do we both have the same slot in mind?

Hahahahahaha

We obviously do…………..

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

GN5,
    My quibble was by no means meant as a criticism, I am in awe at the tremendous amount of work that you have put in. Everyone is entitled to the odd typo. I blieve I hove even maed one ro two msyelf.

Norfolk,

I’m knot thee least bit perttorbed so dont’t frett.

Overall your comments have been very supportive and positive.

Cheers.

GN5b

“Do we both have the same slot in mind?”

That line tops your post, and that’s really going some 🙂

Great work Gn5!

Wow this is difficult. I haven’t made up my mind yet, but my short list comprises one from Day 1, one from Day 2 and three from Day 3!

Rocky,

Unbelievably I’m also sitting on the fence, pre-profiles I was absolutely sure, now I’m completely unsure.

Hence my preference for multiple voting options, I have not heard back from Rasp but I sure hope we will not be restricted to a single vote each.

Sorry GN5,

Can you remind me, what are we aiming for, a greatest all time 1st XI, or a squad?

Oh, and, is there a formation. Lone striker, or a 4-4-2 ish?

MD89,.

We are hoping that at the completion of the voting we can reveal both an A and a B squad. So a multiple voting option will give us a far better cross section of everybody’s opinions.

I’m unsure how it will work out formation wise as with many of the earlier players I could not determine the precise position that they played. Over the years we have gone from a very commonly used 1, 2, 3, 5 formation to our current style of various formations. That is the reason for having profiles simply titled , Defense, Midfield and Forwards.

It will most likely end up being 4, 4, 2 but they may mean that some of the early forwards end up as midfielders and some early midfielders end up as defense men.

26. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’m finding this really difficult, how do you compare ‘keepers from the past and the present? In the “good old days” goalies got little or no protection from assaults by centre forwards and others, Bert Trautman finished an FA Cup Final with a broken neck. I believe Jack Kelsy’s career was ended by a back injury sustained while playing against Brazil for Wales.

There are numerous examples of ‘keepers being charged and bundled over the line, of being body checked and of being clattered by opposing players. That just does not happen now, the slightest touch on a goalie is penalised.

The more I think about it the more I find I must discount the later candidates, I’m going to stick with my very first choice, made even before I had read GN5’s terrific articles.

It’s Jack Kelsey for me!

GN5

Naturally, because I’m so sensible, I favour the 1-2-3-5 formation, but, I have a brilliant idea, how about a first thirteen, not eleven, so a 4-4-4.

Two wingers, two strikers, and bingo! 🙂

NG
    One thing that surprised me in some of the old clips Chas posted yesterday was how “going in on the ‘keeper” seemed to lead to a bit of a ruck, even back then.

I had always thought it was formerly permissible to shoulder charger the ‘keeper – but those clips (admittedly not the REALLY old ones) seem to indicate that barging the goalie was generally deemed to be bad form.

MD89,

If Sir Rudolph managed that team it would end up as 1, 4, 7 and Big Sam would opt for 6, 5, 1. AW would be totally confused.

Rocky,

In a tight game stamping on the goalkeepers feet was usually good for a goal.

Was that one of your personal techniques Gn5 🙂

I always liked the way Lehmann turned the tables on the opposition and would merrily stamp on any enemy foot that came with five yards of him.

From Skysports.

…………………………………………………………………………………

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has confirmed he wants Arsene Wenger to sign a new deal and stay at the club for the “long term”.

Wenger has spent almost 17 years in north London but is yet to confirm his future plans as he enters the final year of his current contract.

The 63-year-old has been linked with a fresh challenge in his native France after an eighth season without silverware intensified rumblings of discontent at the Emirates.

“We think we have got a fantastic manager. We hope that he wants to do what he is doing for the long term. I believe he does.”
    Ivan Gazidis

Gazidis refused to reveal whether negotations over a new deal had begun but was adamant Wenger had the backing of the board to continue beyond next term.

“We think we have got a fantastic manager,” Gazidis said. “We hope that he wants to do what he is doing for the long term. I believe he does.

“I think he is still ambitious, still driven and sees the potential of the club as he looks forward and I think he is very excited by that.

“We have a great relationship and he has a great relationship with the board as well. So, quietly and at the right time, I think we will make an announcement on that when things are all put in place.

“This is going to happen very quietly behind closed doors, privately and then there will be an announcement.

“I don’t even want to say (if we have discussed a new deal). We have got a lot of confidence in Arsene that he is the right person to take the club forward and I think he will want to do that.”

…………………………………………………………………………..

That suits me just fine.

33. Norfolk Gooner says:

What did we do before 4 4 2, or 4 2 4, 4 5 1?

Well we had a ‘keeper (1) Two full backs (2&3) two half backs (4&6) one centre half (5), two wingers (7&11) two inside forwards (8&10) and a centre forward (9).

No midfieders, no wingbacks and no false number nines.

What a simple game football used to be before pundits and journos got their evil mitts on it. 😀

34. Norfolk Gooner says:

Heer here to that GN5.

35. Norfolk Gooner says:

Or even hear hear, or her hair, you know what I mean though! 🙂

Hi GN5, apologies, I have been so busy.

I did respond to the question the other day, you can have 1 option in your poll or 3,4,5,6 etc but for some reasons 2 options is not available. Please let me know your preference

Those quotes from Gazidis are really good (there’s a longer version on the Daily Telegraph website. I would imagine they’re on Arsenal.com too).

I don’t suppose it will stop the haters hating him – he’s the lightning rod for a lot of fan frustration – but I think he’s been doing a good and steady job during very difficult times. Finally we are beginning to reap the benefits.

38. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rocky,

I’m not sure when a shoulder charge on a ‘keeper was outlawed, if it ever has been officially. Maybe at the time that goalies were no longer restricted to just three paces when carrying the ball unless they bounced it. Like many changes in the modern game they just seem to have evolved rather than been set down in The Laws of Football..

39. GN5a says:

Rasp

6, at least, thanks.

Wise choice GN5a

Hi Rasp,

I responded later in the day, you must have missed my message.

But no problem, what I said was – I would have preferred 2 but 3 would be preferable to 1 so long as you cannot vote 3 times for the same player.

Later in the day it was suggested having options 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice alongside the players name – that is a brilliant idea and would be my personal preference.

Mischievous Micky 🙂

43. another good read, you are such a star GN5! And such an excellent idea, well done sir!!

Is it the voting day tomorrow? Surely Jens was the last of our great goalkeepers. Almunia, Fabianski and sir Chesny couldn’t even clean Kelsey’s boots.

Funny thing about Arsene’s contract is that we, here at AA, are so quietly confident that AW will sign the new deal, that seldom anybody even mentioned the end of his contract. I hope we are right – nothing to discuss, he needs to stay put where he belongs, at THOF.

Friendly,

Thank you for your kind words.

Each week until mid July we will have profiles every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with voting taking place each Saturday, then finally on Sunday July 21st we will reveal both our A and B squads.

RL. It was that effing idiot again, writing as RA.

As if the great man has moobs!

Haha – thanks BR

That’s what comes of blogging while on the iPhone!

48. of course the younger generations did not see Jack Kelsey. Trust me he was even better than Jennings, Seaman & Lehmann. In fact it could be argued that Jack’s goalkeeping save Arsenal’s 1st division status at times during the 50’s.

😀

The price madness is happening again. How can MC pay €40m for a player who is not even first choice for Brazil. And €25m+ for a forward who didn’t score last season?

No wonder we shop in the bargain bin

FFP in action, BR 🙂

Martin
    Did you see him play? A lot?
    I’d be interested in knowing your impressions of how he played.

Martin. The problem is that I don’t trust you. Having seen them all play, Kelsey’s lack of stature means he is not the best, in my opinion.

Seaman was a huge presence in the area and the fulcrum of the most misery defence in AFC history.

I would rate Kelsey higher if he was a bigger man – and I met him quite often, so I know he was a slight fellow.

Kelsey 5´10″ 77kg

Seaman 6´4″ 87kg

It makes a difference. The only GK’s I have seen who were better than Seamo were Yashin and Schmeichel

Brilliant, GN5.

Pat Jennings
    Spuds showing their class. (Nice bit from Bob Wilson)

Personally, I couldn’t vote for big Pat simply because he does Totteringham corporate now.

Yea Chas sometimes we are confronted with choices that are next to impossible to make – but he was a great goalkeeper.

John Lukic
    He had McMahon’s shot covered which Barry Davies neglected to say. 🙂

David Seaman
    Nice hair, Spunky.

Thanks Chas
    1987 – what a brilliant day out that was!

Jens Lehmann

Yes, Rocky, a great day indeed.

26 years ago!!

61. Ian Ure Face says:

I can only judge the one`s I have seen and to tell the truth, have not even read up on any .

Pat Jennings is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen, anywhere, any team, past or present, full stop . ( and I thought that when he was at the Spuds ! )

This remains my favourite moment of last season

Rocky

Top comment that at 4.21

Very few recognise things like that and even fewer are brave enough to say it.

“The news was incorrect.”

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

That one will live long in the memory BR

LB
    Haha – that’s two of us then 🙂

It drives me mad when people slag him off without having the faintest idea of what he does or how he does it.

BR
    Can we replay that clip at least once a week for the entire summer 😀 😀 😀

67. Ian Ure Face says:

Sicky Lover. This would be just as good and would be a fine permanent addition at the top of the page or on the side section !.
    Come on Rasp, make it so !. hahaha

68. evonne says:

LB and BR – did you watch documentary about Tommy Godwin? What a guy! Hope he was a Gunner

If you are a senior you will understand this one,
    if you deal with seniors,
    this should help you understand them a little better,
    and if you are not a senior yet……..
    God willing, someday you will be……

The £2.99 Special

We went to breakfast at a restaurant where the ‘seniors’ special’
    was two eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast for £2.99.

‘Sounds good,’ my wife said.
    ‘But I don’t want the eggs.’

‘Then, I’ll have to charge you £3.49
    because you’re ordering a la carte,’
    the waitress warned her.

‘You mean I’d have to pay
    for not taking the eggs?’
    my wife asked incredulously.

‘YES!’ stated the waitress.

‘I’ll take the special then,’
    my wife said..

‘How do you want your eggs?’
    the waitress asked.

‘Raw and in the shell,’ my wife replied.

She took the two eggs home and baked a cake.

DON’T MESS WITH SENIORS!!!

WE’VE been around the block more than once!

70. For Kelsey’s generation 5 ft. 10 in is probably the equivalent of 6ft 1 today. Her was not slender, had a very solid build, and was outstanding on crosses. In fact his handling was the best I’ve ever seen and that includes the likes of Banks & Shilton.

71. Rocky lives. Please see above post. Yes I saw Kelsey play numerous times. I cannot stress enough how good he was was. He played most of his career behind some really shocking defenders and as I said previously he probably saved us from relegation.
    After the 1958 world cup, when he was brilliant for Wales, he was acclaimed by many to be the best keeper in the world.

How old are you Martin?

73. I’ll be 68 y.o. this Sept. Rocky.Been a fanatical supporter since the age of five. Have many interesting anecdotes and close personal friendships with many Arsenal legends from the mid. sixties to the mid. 90’s.

Excellent.
    Are you a N5 lad?

Would love to hear some if your personal memories of meeting old Arsenal players.

Morning Chas

Off to do less serious stuff for an hour, then back.

Will do the morning gossip sources say linked to stuff en route.

I’ve always liked Fellatio, I mean Fellaini.

Spooky

Synchronicity

At this hour, could you keep your personal likes off air.

So…fellatio 🙂

Anyway, what’s the relevance on Fellaini? Not the defensive dm we need at all.

Whoa 5:43 and 5:44

Just Newsnow bowlocks that we’re activating his release clause.
    Thought you might like it but, remember Never Trust A Belgian.

We can afford Big Wayne too.

Who are they?

Find any old Irish high pitched spindly fella and call him Fergal 🙂

Belgiumers….pah

Bloody hell, imagine signing that Yob Wayne. Many would be rushing back through years of abusive comments with the delete button in top gear.

Laters.

My, you young fellows rise early. When I was your age there was always something to keep me in bed.

88. evonne says:

hot water bottle?

89. evonne says:

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been given the go ahead to move for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney. Gunners chief executive Ivan Gazidis says the club can afford the England international.

Micky @5:56 – not me, always liked Wayne. Terrific player, has 4 dogs and lovely blue eyes. Couldn’t ask for more. Oh, and I am considerably older than him 🙂

90. Reddawn says:

This is all smoke and mirrors. Gazidis was asked if Arsenal could afford Wayne Rooney, not if they wanted to buy him.

91. evonne says:

party booper

We don’t need Rooney – our approach play is fine, we need a clinical striker.

No news of Fabianski leaving which is strange. I thought his contract ran out this summer.

93. Morning all, having a hell of a time atm and blogging is an impossible luxury 😦

We do need a couple of posts for the weekend if anyone fancies writing something ………… Ode to Wayne anyone 😆

I have doubted whether Arsene can get his ‘big spending’ mojo back so I’m looking forward to eating my words ……….. not for Wayne though 🙂 Mr Gazidis needs to crack the whip.

Morning all ……..

Voting day ……… New post ……..

95. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

That statement by Gazidis looks to me like he is getting his retaliation in first.

Yes we have the dosh to compete, yes we could buy Rooney and five more besides, yes we can afford to pay top wages. Don’t blame me if we don’t buy top players, it’s all down to Wenger.

96. Morning Rocky. I was born in Hackney, and grew up in Stoke Newington. I now live in Aldenham, near Radlett, but spend almost 6 months of the year in Marbella, Spain.
    My recollections and anecdotes of Arsenal players, managers and other key personnel over a 30 year period are so numerous that I wouldn’t know where to start. Some like Alex Fynn and Myles Palmer believe that I should have a book published as my story is pretty unique but at the moment this would be very difficult. I have a synopsis which Fynn helped me put together and perhaps when I’m back in London I’d be happy to meet you and you might find some very useful stuff to blog about.
    What age are you Rocky ?

97. Martin
    Sorry to intervene on your personal one-on-one with Rocky, but he won’t be able to reply to your age question ’til he gets home from school.

98. It’s OK Al, his age has already been divulged to me. Must be the oldest scholar in town !

99. Just remembered an interesting goalkeeping anecdote. Received a phone call from George Graham saying that he was thinking about buying David Seaman, and what did I reckon. I said that I felt that Lukic was playing well, had not let us down and had a big match temperament. Also he was loved by the fans.
    George’s reply ” well now I’m going to buy Seaman”
    So much for my opinion !

100. Marcy says:

of course like your web-site but you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very
    bothersome to inform the truth then again I will certainly come again again.