European Super League. Inevitable?

To my mind, many aspects of Football are a microcosm of Society.

The reactions and behaviour of Fans, in many ways mirror social attitudes and the economic climate of the broader society. I also see this correlation within individual Clubs as well as between Clubs themselves. The concentration of power within a club, and then the concentration of power between a small elite of Clubs and The Rest.

Everywhere I look, I see the same model.

Look across Europe right now, and we see the collapse of Economies, Sovereign States, Societies and Currencies. The gap between the rich and poor grows exponentially wider. The call from citizens for their rights and privileges grows ever louder. Sounds familiar?

A quick look at the Power Brokers of European Football reveals to me, a group intent on preserving their own. Their Elite. Are Fair Play rules there to protect the grass roots of the game, or to serve the best interests of the few?

We have seen the back of the European Cup with single representatives from member countries. We have seen the merging of The Cup Winners Cup into The Europa League (yip, β€œLeague”). The lines between The Champions League and Europa are becoming blurred, with those falling at the first hurdle in the former being dumped into the latter.

Surely, recent talk of some kind of World Club Super League in Qatar is going to prompt some kind of response from our European Leaders.

Now, what could that possibly be?

Written by MickyDidIt

114 Responses to European Super League. Inevitable?

Oh do try harder Big Al πŸ™‚

2. Red Arse says:

Second! Reserved for Big Al, the scallywag! πŸ™‚

3. Red Arse says:

Well done Micky, a sterling effort in the circumstances, that surely could only be matched by Kelsey on the questions per square inch meter! πŸ˜€

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

World Club Super League? Hmm, can’t see it happening really, there just isn’t the appetite for it among the fans, there is already a surfeit of football, just look at the low level of attendance at the early stages of the Champions League among the less fashionable teams.

The other problem is who is going to pay for it, TV rights are the single largest contributor to club’s income and the TV companies get their income from advertisers who in turn rely on Joe Public to buy the goods and services advertised. In the current financial situation poor old Joe doesn’t have the money to go out and spend, just look at the number of vacant shop premises on your local high street.

Clubs would probably have to double their squad sizes, wage bills would go through the roof and any talented players would filter through to the elite teams leaving the rest to scramble around for the has-beans and the mediocre. It would be a bonanza for the parasites who call themselves agents.

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Doesn’t look like Big Al will make the top ten today, πŸ™‚

Morning RA and Norfolk.
    Norfolk,
    Who would pay for it? The Qataris and TV. Buying success/status is where its at, and I don’t think they could care less about the ordinary fan.
    The Model simply echoes or mirrors the Abramovich Way. No return being required, simply a one way ego trip.

7. Red Arse says:

Now then, Micky, this is serious stuff that you are referring to. πŸ™‚

It cannot be denied that in order for a society to function successfully, people need to be able to trust one another.
    That is also true, too, for football which simply represents a cross-section of society.

Regrettably, with so many agendas being propounded by so many self interested action groups in every sphere of community activity, we are rapidly coming to realise that it is very difficult to trust anyone any more.
    So, it’s just you and me basically, and I am not too sure about you.

Let’s face it – society is breaking down. A swift reflection about our current circumstances would evince some searching questions.

Do you trust most (any) politicians? Do you trust most (any) lawyers? Do you trust most (any) bankers? Do you trust the police?

Of course it goes without saying that you do trust those knights in white shining armour — the accountants!!

This is probably a bit unfair, but many people and bloggers look OK – even normal when you first meet them, but do you trust them? Would you meet them in the Tavern for a drinky poo?
    You would? Well that’s all part of the great scheme to take over the world!!

As the world economy continues to crumble, folks are going to become desperate, (look at what is happening in Cyprus and Greece – too much sun?) and that is going to make us all nuts if we don’t get any – sun that is!

As you mentioned, football is part of society, so there can be no surprise if the moral decay at the top of world politics, and the financial and economic malaise that is hitting us all in the pocket, also extends into the leadership of UEFA and FIFA who feel the need to meddle with the beautiful game, in order to look after their own self interests.

Yes, indeedy, Mr Micky, you have stirred up a hornets nest — and I wonder what your cunning motives are? Hmmm? πŸ˜€

I wouldn’t envisage any kind of national parity being a reason to qualify, simply the level of a Clubs’ global brand status.

Morning Micky, just dropping in to say I agree that a European League is inevitable. Fan Power is a dwindling influence, corporate money, advertisng and sponsorship, together with TV revenue and money from the oil rich states are the driving force behind European football. As far as I can see, it is not a question of if, but when, a European Super League (or something similar) is formed.

10. John says:

Keep up with the news please, the super league Qatar story was a hoax by a fraudster called Robert or Rob Beal. Google it.

First up RA, my motives. Simple, if I pen enough posts during the Lull, I get Diplomatic Immunity from match report duties. πŸ™‚

Now, you say: “It cannot be denied that in order for a society to function successfully, people need to be able to trust one another”.

Sadly, wrong, because I think when you say “function successfully” you may be referring to the greater good, whereas the centralized nature of globalization means that a successful society serves the elite, and I’m quite sure they believe everything is going nicely to plan.

Methinks this is the way the European Football Elite think.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

Mickey,

How are TV going to pay for it? Subscriptions?.

Look at A1 Grand Prix Racing, set up in 2006 by Al Maktoum of Dubai, plenty of dosh there, liqidated in 2009. Bottom line? TV couldn’t sustain the expenditure, advertisers didn’t want to know, Joe Public wasn’t buying.

13. Red Arse says:

Zat is veree deep thinking Meester Micky.

You may zink you hev uncovered my reel name is Platini but zat eez to miss the point, a leedle bit like Rooney missing zee goal.

Every zink I do – excuse pleez — every zink UEFA do – eez only partly for us – I mean zem – but of course the fans get a huge ability to watch all zee games at a huge cost – which keeps the world turning. True – No?

John
    I think its a brilliant hoax that absolutely highlights the real thrust of my thinking about a European Superleague.
    If I didn’t know better, I would have said the story was engineered by Platini himself πŸ™‚

RA,
    I mentioned Platini first. You just type faster πŸ™‚

Norfolk,
    Dunno!
    This was not a carefully thought out post. Spur of the moment stuff to get my Immunity Card πŸ™‚
    However, to answer your question as best I can, I’d say “What is A1 Racing” compared to the global audience of football?

17. goonermichael says:

Great post.
    There already is a super league called the champions league. They could breakaway to get away from Uefa but that would impact all aspects of international and domestic football. The Qatar story was a hoax. It would also very quickly become boring.

GM
    How about merging The CL and Europa and simply do away with those annoying little also-rans that nobody wants to watch and who clog up the fixtures?
    Incidentally, I’m not a power crazed loon who wants this πŸ™‚

19. goonermichael says:

That may happen Micky.

Platini may have said to me:

“Didit, the beauty of my vision is this. At the moment, I have sponsors in the CL who get really cross when a big club have the odd crap game, and end up in the Europa that no-one wants to watch or play in. Then we have to crowbar the fixtures into a Thursday which annoys absolutely everyone.

Also, we all know that at the business end of domestic leagues, what clubs want is not some shitty little local trophy but to play in my competition.

How much happier would everyone be if we could include as many as six or seven clubs from all the major leagues in one big happy family.

We’d all be richer and I’d have more sex because I’m French.

What’s not to like Didit?”

21. Got one of the daftest stats ever… later.

22. The reason I’m late is ’cause I’m a slow reader and it took me ages what with MickyDidIt’s fancy big poncey words.

Well Al, if that’s not a poncey address, I don’t know what is.
    DidIt, Wet Bog, England, not good enough for you?

24. Red Arse says:

Micky’s got you there Big Al,

No one knows where that address is, but it is a bit poncey (whatever that means!) — but I reserved 2nd spot for you – go see!! πŸ™‚

25. Well, really Micky, there’s no need to be personal πŸ™‚

Firstly, in answer to your headline “European Super League. Inevitable?” …answer NO!

Here’s the daft stats I mentioned earlier… unbelievable!
    These are the daftest stats ever in the history of daft stats!

The following is edited as it’s as long as it’s daft!
    And it’s VERY long. Edited or not, you’ll get the gist (some of you) πŸ™‚

This week our statistician Josh James looks at Arsenal’s record on various weekdays throughout Premier League history.

Arsenal’s next three games are all scheduled for Saturday 3pm kick-offs – and ArsΓ¨ne Wenger’s side have won each of their past seven Saturday Premier League fixtures.

Arsenal have played 18 Saturday matches in the Premier League so far this season, with a record of W11 D3 L4, F36 A18. That’s an average of two points per game, compared to 0.83 points per game from six Sunday matches, and 1.8 points per game from the five midweek games.

More than half (54.2 per cent) of all Arsenal’s Premier League games have been staged on a Saturday

The Gunners are, however, unbeaten from midweek Premier League games this season, with a record of P5 W2 D3 L0 F14 A7 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

————————————–

Those trends largely reflect Arsenal’s form throughout Premier League history for the various days of the week.

Arsenal have played 434 Premier League matches on a Saturday, winning 244 of them, drawing 116 and losing the other 74 for a 1.95 points per game average.

On Sunday the points per game average drops to 1.72, while the record for midweek matches is 96 wins from 190 games, for an average of 1.83 points per game.

Friday is actually the most successful day for Arsenal in the Premier League, with five wins and a draw out of six games played (2.67 points per game).

————————————————————

The Gunners’ second top scorer in Premier League history, Ian Wright, scored more than any other Arsenal player on Mondays – 14 from 19 appearances for a 0.74 goals per game average.

Nearly two thirds (63 per cent) of Wrighty’s goals were scored on a Saturday though – 66 from 109 games at a rate of 0.61 goals per game.

——————————————

In terms of appearances, David Seaman, who played 325 times for Arsenal in the Premier League, leads the way on Saturdays, Mondays and Tuesdays, while Dennis Bergkamp has played more Sunday fixtures for Arsenal than any other player (75).

… and on, and on, and on …

SORRY for length of post – and it is heavily edited.

26. goonerjake says:

The BIG question is…..

Would you want Arsenal to be part of a European Super League?

For me the answer is no. It is just a personal feeling, but I would rather be competing in a English domestic league, and if it’s without clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea and Man City so be it.

Ok we may not have the top top players because they would go where the money is and that would be with the new League. (well for a start) However I believe the Prem would then become truly competitive with clubs like Arsenal (probably with the best players for this level of pay), Liverpool and Everton competing for the top places (Hopefully the Spuds stay with us in England so we can give them their yearly beating) I don’t want to be playing Barca one week then Man Utd the next the jetting off to Italy to play Milan the next- much as anything else I could not afford it.

Their is something about standing/sitting on a piece of concrete in the driving rain in the north east shivering and totally miserable that makes me happy.

As Nick Hornby once said in his book fever pitch regarding football… “something’s are better and something’s are worse”…. I (that’s now me no longer nick)think a European Super League would be a step down the things worse avenue

NB. This will not make a shred of difference if the club can make money from t the club will do it

27. Gooner In Exile says:

Haven’t had time to read post, busy clearing decks for Easter break.

Just saw Arsenal tweeted this, so those going Saturday be early to show your appreciation for a legend.

28. Actually MickyDidIt, I may be just a working class boy who left secondary school at the age of 15 years and 4 months old but that don’t make me thick.
    And I know 2 big words that’ better than any of yours…

Lobsterisimus Bummakisimus

Surprised?

Latin now!
    πŸ™‚

30. Gooner In Exile says:

Okay now read post and I have to agree with a few commentors on here, no I don’t want it, but my opinion doesn’t matter, they would merrily swan off to play their super league, and take the money, the fan base in North London is simply irrelevant, whilst it may put money on the table it could easily be replaced and bettered by Qatari Football Inc, the TV companies would buy at the drop of a hat.

Why so sure? Indian Premier League, players would prefer not to be in the International side if it means they miss out on being the highest bid player in the IPL, and that quite seriously is probably a format that the Qataris would go for, they don’t even need to agree with the big clubs or buy the big clubs, they can just buy all the talent like the IPL does. PL footballers spend their holidays in Dubai, why not live and play there?

31. Hey Micky
    I just emailed Peaches.

I said I’m considering doing a post, but on condition that the post would be for the working classes, and that no word would contain more than four letters.

She replied very quickly saying she’d try to fit me in before Christmas.
    Bless her. She likes me.

Thanks Micky

This is a very serious subject, for me personaly anyway.

I do believe that in general, current owners of football clubs dont give a stuff about the games traditions or values. Most of them are either ego maniacs or high powered business men.

The only conclusion i can reach therefore, that when the time is right they will not only create a European super league, it will infact become a world wide league.

The consequences are to terrible to contemplate. Arsenal playing there home games in China or some Gulf State?. i dont know.

One thing i do know is, that i hope such hugh changes do not occur in my lifetime. All of us have a cracking point and every year my crack is stretched to the limit (hahaha, sorry cant help myself). if these changes do occur, i for one will give up on the game and indulge myself in other passions.

Terry
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Not speaking to Al after he got the offer from Peaches that “she’d fit him in before Christmas”.

Yes, I agree with TMHT too and said as much in my first comment. Football will probably become a hybrid of the way some American sports have developed but Europe wide instead of the rather insular way they operate over there.

None of us want to see this happen, it will destroy our intimate connection with the club and therefore some of the passion will go, to be replaced by televisual entertainment for the masses.

Micky and all

I will be brief. too much football is actually killing the game let alone the expense to those who attend. i know it’s all about TV money and in the case of relegation QPR would get 23 million parachute payment whilst sides in the championship get 2 million.
    the level playing field is over has been for a long time.
    The champions league should be for champions not a club who may finish fourth some 25/30 points behind the champions. it should be knock out from day one and no dropping down to the europa league to get a second chance at some european cup none of the big teams really want.
    they are killing the enjoyment for the average fan IMO too much fottball with meaninglest friendlies thrown in to muck things up.Too many minnows in world cup qualifying,let the have their own tournament and the winners get a slot in the real tournament.

36. Merseforever says:

Don’t want Arsenal to be a part of any European super league. We already sold out once by conspiring to create the PL so we should show a bit of restraint and realise we are an English club. If we were part of such a league would we still be in the FA cup and league cup. Would we get opportunities to go to places like Bradford (with hindsight I can appreciate the magic and drama of our loss there) or old enemies like Leeds and Millwall. Arsenal are an English club. We may have international fans and an international presence but London and England are our home.

If we do join such an international super league… well that would be the nail in the coffin for me. I’ll be done with the Arsenal. I’ll still want them to win that super league, but it won’t be the same. Football’s already changed far too much, but this would just beyond horrible if it happened. Problem is, we have an American money man heading the club who has no connection to Arsenal or its history in the English league. If the offer came, do you think Kroenke would turn it down.

If such a thing happened down the line then maybe Gooners could pool together and try and buy a plot of land in Islington and start our own club like some mancs did with FC United. Gunners FC or something. Doubt we could pool enough money together to buy back and rebuild Highbury though! Don’t think there’s any real space in Islington either unless apart from Highbury fields or some of the other public green spaces

Rasp;

North American sports continue to flourish, the three main sports, Baseball, American Football and Basketball all have enormous fans bases both live and on television. The PGA golf tour is not far behind and is enjoying an increasing amount of popularity.

As an example college football has crowds of up to 100,000 on a regular basis – name one amateur sport any where else in the world that could make that statement.

Hybrid, insular – well if that’s the case then lets hope our football suffers from the same fate.

38. Red Arse says:

Not-so-Merry Terry, πŸ™‚

Fear not, your doomsday scenario will never come to pass.

The time differences, the cultural differences and the administrative difficulties, will ensure there will not be a Europe wide league, other than the existing CL/Europa set up, or an equivalent evolution, let alone some cockamamie worldwide league.

Some long time ago, Dandan mentioned the possibility that some form of American Franchise system being introduced into the UK and possibly Europe might happen.

After much discussion I think we probably all begged to differ in our opinions, and in my case I believe it is easy for Europeans to underestimate the sheer size of America, with its multifarious time zones and the demographic as well as geographic problems involved.

That is why many leagues are split into Eastern, Mid-West and Western divisions, which in effect become mini leagues which brings you back, full circle to where you started out, as in the European national leagues.

I think, Terence, that you and your syrup should go and have a lie down and you won’t be so doomy when you wake up! πŸ™‚

Kelsey;

As far as I’m concerned there can never be too much football. However I am not at all happy with the lack of quality dished up in a lot of the matches – England vs San Marino being a classic example.

I agree with you that the amount of teams in the “Champions League” should be pared back – but I personally like the group stages as it can and does create some shocks and surprises.

The Europa League should be only the second level teams with no teams “popping in” from Champions League.

Kelsey:

Oops, I take back my comment about teams “popping in” from the Champions League as it’s great to see teams like Chelsea and Man City having to compete in the Thursday League and play all of those extra games in “exotic” far away places.

Merseforever,
    You know those gardens between the old East and West Stands, Highbury…..well, I was thinking…. πŸ™‚

I so hope your right Redders. it breaks my heart to contemplate the possibility of further drastic change. For me, the limit has been reached. I can go no further with any more change that has money as its prime motiive as opposed to sport.

My syrup on the other hand relys on me getting depressed so i can lose more hair and he can expand. Hes therefore demanding we relocate stadium to Bangcock, change our strip to include Ronald Mcdonalds face, and rename ourselves “The Arsenal International Monetory Fund” hahaha

43. Red Arse says:

Terry,

πŸ˜€

44. Merseforever says:

The reason why I think the club would do it (join such a league if they get the chance), is because in recent years they have shown themselves willing to abandon all scruples and morals in order to get more money. From the clamping down on the stands outside Highbury, to the changing of the logo (never understood why that was necessary and why the change had to be so drastic), the exclusive naming of the ground without first giving it a proper name of its own, to the recent attempts by the club to copyright the word ‘Gooner’ by claiming it originated from a mispronounciation by our Scandinavian fans. Taking this evidence, it is clear that Arsenal has become like a dog smelling meat with regards to money. It will just follow and chase after it as tenaciously as possible regardless of who is in the way.

MickyDidIt89,

I walked past the old girl the other day and choked up. Hate seeing it now. It’s been bought up by a lot of people with ill gotten gain from abroad who are seeking safe illiquid assets for their dirty money. Unfortunately the government does its best to attract these sort of people to our city. I’m sure some of the residents and owners have ties to the Arsenal though. I know Bobby Pires owns an appartment in the complex.

Merseforever:

I fail to understand why you seem to such a big aversion to Arsenal making money, it’s not a dirty word, it’s the thing that we all need for survival.

The need to continue to grow the financial base of the club is obvious as without continued growth we will shrink and flounder.

Bravo Micky
    You have ignited a very interesting debate which, as Big Al might say, touches on the very ontology of football.

One further thought about your (accurate) observation of power and money concentrating in the hands of a self-serving elite. There is a different response to this than simple acquiescence. I’m thinking of the response taken by the French in 1789, the Russians in 1917, the Chinese in 1946 and the Cubans in 1959.

To the barricades, I say!

Thanks GN5, I appreciate that American sports flourish – that is why expect some sort of hybrid of their system … it works …. but it is far removed from the grassroots football that sets the English game apart.

We’re already some way down the road with the EPL. I expect commercialisation to dictate the way football develops in the future not the aspirations of fans.

Hi Rasp;

We are in full agreement, money will do the talking and the “historic” fane base will be eroded even further than present.

I agree in part with Merse and GunnerN5 . The club is distancing itself away from the paying fans but huge chunks of money has come into the Capital these past few years from overseas primarily to buy property.

The club under kroenke will devise many ways to increase turnover but I don’t see it where it really matters and that is on the football pitch.
    The younger generation are the future.They want heroes to idolise not players who use the club as a stepping stone to better financial gain and if we do achieve CL football for next seasn we really need not necessarilly world class, but an exceptional couple of players otherwise we become a leading second tier club at best.

I know all about drought,1n our history, I have lived through part of it but there is absolutely no comparison to football then or even since Wenger took over.
    If we fail and go into the europa league and Wenger is in charge he will use it like the carling cup to a degree by experimenting.

Hopefully we get CL and really put an injection of money into the transfer budget,so at least be in with some sort of a chance of a trophy by the end of April not be practically out of everything by end Feb

i am disappointed about many things this season and which ever way you look at it we have won less than half our PL at this moment of time which is just not good enough for a club of our standing.
    no one has a devine right to win trophies but our inconsistency has been a huge price to pay this season.

Have to agree with Gn5 about N American sport.

Yes, it’s incredibly commercialised, but it’s in rude health in all the major sports and American fans of football (their version), baseball etc can be every bit as obsessive and passionate as us lot.

Living in Canada, I would say that ice hockey (or just ‘hockey’ as they call it here) is even more rooted in the national culture and psyche than footy is in ours.

51. “…which, as Big Al might say, touches on the very ontology of football.”

Blimey Rocky, I don’t even understand what that means.

I dont realy believe there is a right or wrong here.

Its more down to the individuals feeling than any thing else.

Sorry Big Al… I should have put it int Latin for you:
    “quae tangit in ipsa ontology of felis”

πŸ˜€

54. Red Arse says:

Now come on Big A, you know all about ‘felis’ the Latin core for fellatio, you beast!! πŸ™‚

What I don’t understand, is why you were quoted by the Rocket as relating football to a metaphysical notation of the state of being, or is it the study and treatment of tumours?

I am, of course, unable to parse the phraseology Rocket used, but perhaps what he really meant was that you are an expert in shagging beautiful women in Thailand. Now that’s oncology!! πŸ˜€

55. Red Arse says:

Rock Island,

I have never seen ‘of’ translated from English to Latin as ‘of’!! πŸ™‚

Then as Vergil so succinctly said, “hinc ergo Vergilius utrumque tangit, et istam historiam quam modo diximus.”

But then he would, wouldn’t he? πŸ™‚

56. What’s Latin got to do with anything?
    If it’s the two big words I threw at Micky you’re alluding to(?)… well, I don’t know if that’s Latin. I actually doubt it.

I do know the answer is available if you Google though ’cause I checked the spelling :
    Lobsterisimus Bummakisimus

Go Googlin’…

Haha Redders
    I knew you’d pick up on that! πŸ™‚
    Google Translate is a variable beast at the best of times.
    I’m also not sure what ‘felis” has to do with anything.

Al
    “Lobsterisimus Bummakisimus” – I believe it means you have a particularly obsequious marine crustacean as an admirer.

Well, you don’t know your regional Roman dialects very well, do you RA!

Merseforever,
    I know what you mean about seeing the “old girl”.
    I have her picture on my mobile, and I cannot believe that somehow there was not a nod to her in the design of the new stadium.
    I would have moved the Marble Halls lock, stock and all smoking cannons.

Roman Daleks?
    Has anyone told The Doctor?

Al
    I might be wrong, but I have a feeling Lobsterisimus Bummakisimus was a Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore thing.

I used to have their Derek and Clive Live album – very funny but absolutely filthy. Would definitely fail the Peaches’ mum test.

Micky
    It’s mind-boggling that they didn’t at least move the clock into the new stadium and only did it after a couple of years.

63. Red Arse says:

Big Al, it translates as kiss my lobster’s arse! πŸ™‚

Who has been having you on, or were you being sneakily rude? πŸ˜€

Another thought on the European Project thing.

Right now, they have CL and Europa filling up Tues, Weds, and Thursday evenings. When this merges into one competition/league, then the final nail would come when they manage to wangle a Saturday or Sunday fixture.

True Rocky.
    Did you ever go inside the Marble Halls?
    Wow, they were something no other Club could rival.

The worst job I ever had……….

Great post, Micky.
    Your lifelong pardon from MR duties must be well on its way.

Arsenal in a European or World Super League would no longer be Arsenal as far as I’m concerned.

Rocky, the Derek and Clive sketch you refer to started with the words “the worst job I ever had was picking the crabs out of….” πŸ˜†

Hi Chas and Rasp,
    Most Derek and Clive sketches are on youtube, and I should know.

69. Red Arse says:

I want to hear more of the Rasp and Chas sketch! πŸ™‚
    Which one plays Dudley?

πŸ˜† chas, I just saw you beat me to the ‘worst job’ reference..

Redders, out of choice I’d rather be Dudley because he lived longer, was a muso and got the girls. Peter Cooke was a customer of my business and was a physical wreck (chain smoking and heavy drinking) and his wit was acerbic to say the least whereas Dud was far more cuddly – that’s why I named my oversexed Jack Russell Cuddly Dudley

Peter Cook was a spud, too.

72. Hi all

This is getting so boring, I only get to come on and ask for a post …….. 😦 Still we have a game in three days so I’m looking forward to that.

If anyone has a idea for a post for tomorrow and can write it up then that would be wonderful and we’ll need one for Friday too πŸ˜‰

73. Hello chas πŸ™‚

Ey up, me dook.
    Are you looking forward to Saturday?

We have tickets for the Baggies away the week after, too.
    Hello football, I’ve missed you.

Can’t wait for Big Al, from Koh Samui, Thailand’s post.

Never got into the Marble Halls Micky, but I did peek at them through the front door a few times…

I always knew my place – on the terraces, yelling my heart out πŸ™‚

Rocky,
    Just think of the Marble Halls as posh totty that occasionally likes a bit of rough, and sneak in πŸ™‚

Ignore me, see if i care πŸ™‚

Micky
    It appears you know me too well… πŸ™‚

Kelsey
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    (What did you say?)

Right then Kelsey πŸ™‚
    Think how good you are going to feel about our season when we end top four, as we shall.
    It will mean we are still an elite club that dropped the odd point or two over the course of a season πŸ™‚
    Is this working?

I am over the bloody moon,Micky πŸ™‚

3 weeks to go.hope the weather picks up or i could be on Titanic 2

Kelsey
    What part of Blighty are you moving to?

RL

Anyone for tennis πŸ™‚

Flushing Meadow?

Kelsey
    Could you ask Mrs K to go out for the evening of the house warming party, as I’m feeling bad and things could turn ugly

87. Took your time didn’t you…

“Worst job I ever had…
    …Jayne Mansfield…”

True story… When I worked in Woodstock – lovely little town, more like a quaint village; Blenheim Palace, home to Sir Winston and all that jazz – I used to bus it home to Oxford about 6pm.
    So, I’m sitting on the bus waiting 5 mins til it’s due to leave and who’s walking down the street on the other side?… Peter Cook! He was in tee-shirt and track suit bottoms and looking tanned, fit and healthy.
    He popped into a wine shop, so I got pen and paper from the bus driver and waited outside.
    “Excuse me Mr Cook, would you sign for me please?”
    “I’d be delighted”.

1994. He died about a year later.

Flushing meadow, close RL

no problem, micky hope you like dogs

Eastbourne more likely πŸ™‚

Too young for eastbourne,Mickey. ( keep going nearly 100 comments)

Actually Brixton recreation ground if you must know a bit like Marbella.

God’s waiting room is Eastbourne, but they do host the ladies tennis pre-wimbledon

I know micky, my kids both played there as juniors.

I like Wimbledon. You going to be near the Common?

RL

yes, over looking it in the Wimbledon village

Before I go, I must warn you Kelsey, my Mother lives in Wimbledon, and you will know its her when she shouts “another bloody foreigner” at you.
    Good luck πŸ™‚

97. Mr DidIt

I decree that, forthwith, you are free to blog on match days without fear of me ensnaring you for a match report from this day forward πŸ˜‰

98. ……. unless of course you ever desperately want to write one πŸ˜†

99. 26may1989 says:

I know, very poor of me to have gone AWOL while everyone is suffering during the interlull, apols.

But before I read micky’s latest thought piece, an announcement: I can no longer go to the game on Saturday. Would anyone want to buy a pair of tickets at face value (Β£40 each)?

Ouch 26….that hurts.

Cant make sat. but today’s going to be a great day for someone.

However, Im really hoping to make at least two of the last four home games, hopefully three.

Peaches
    Success πŸ™‚

102. Red Arse says:

Morning people, πŸ™‚

103. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I don’t think Peaches’s pass exempts you from writing your match report on the previous day — which I think is your forte, personally.

So you better get writing up your critique of Saturday’s game, tomorrow. πŸ™‚

104. Red Arse says:

Hi 26, πŸ™‚

Unfortunately I am still unable to go to games.

When/if I recover sufficiently, I bet the chances of getting a ticket will, by the law of inverse ratios, reduce considerably. 😦

RA
    MR’s are definitely not my forte.
    As I said, I’m in the process of doing the Utd home one for 2016-7 as we speak πŸ™‚

Must dash

Morning all, we don’t have a post for today so I am hastily knocking up a few lines of off the cuff stuff …..

….New post …..

109. Jamietheleftback says:

We could catch up with chavs or possibly spuds since we are 2 points away from Chavs
    Jamie

110. this site contains a lot of stuff i liked it

111. well done really appreciable blog

112. Donnie says:

Hello, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am also glad to share my experience here with colleagues.