Tribute to Dennis Bergkamp (A story of a Legend)

Take note of especially from 38min – the end of video: Comments from Arsene Wenger, Thierry Henry, Lee Dixon, Ian Wright, Ray Parlour and other players that have played with Dennis Bergkamp. How much respect from his fellow professionals of D.B.’s class as a player and a person.

We need that type of player right now at the club. Someone who commands the respect of others around him and he need not hold the captain’s armband physically. Since we are bluntness in our attacking third and not scoring goals, I would take a look at the attacking midfielder, second striker and main striker categories (because the 60% of football plays and influences comes usually from the middle spine of a team – the GK, CBs, CMs, AMs, FWs; while the remaining 40% comes from the sides – FBs, WMs, LW/RWs).

Players who could provide the class and commands respect from fellow professionals in the footballing world currently.

Main forward:

(1) Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina), 25yrs old – valued at least £105million in transfer fees.

– The best player in the world right now. Only the World Cup title is missing from his personal accolades, which includes 3x

Ballons d’Or.

(2) Rado amel Falcao (A.Madrid/Columbia), 26yrs old – valued at least £44million in transfer fees.

– The best striker in the world right now. 176 goals in 262 competitive club games (River Plate, Porto, A.Madrid), a goal ratio of 0.67/game (i.e. almost guarantee a goal in a game played). Europa League top scorer in consecutive years 2010/2011 and 2011/2012.

(3) David Villa (Barcelona/Spain), 31yrs old – valued at least £24.5million in transfer fees.

Agent details: Vos Marketing (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/vos-marketing/details/berater_2217.html). Which only has David Villa as their client.

– An accomplished striker in his own right. 242 goals and 78 assists in 465 competitive club games (Sporting Gijon, Zaragoza, Valencia, Barcelona), he has won everything he could at club (CL, La Liga, Copa del Rey, FIFA World Cup, UEFA Super Cup) and international levels (World Cup and EURO champ). UEFA EURO 2008 Golden Boot winner and 2010 World Cup Silver Shoe & Bronze Ball winner.

Attacking Midfielders:

(1) Andres Iniesta (Barcelona/Spain), 28yrs old – valued at least £61.5million in transfer fees.

Agent details: Sostres, Ramón (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ramon-sostres/details/berater_419.html). Who only has Andres Iniesta and Carles Puyol as his clients.

– The best attacking midfielder in the world right now. Won everything he could at club and international levels. UEFA EURO 2012 – Best player of tournament. La Liga’s best attacking midfielder (2009, 2011, 2012). Zidane praised him, Cazorla admires him.

(2) (Ricardo)Kaka (Real Madrid/Brazil), 30yrs old – valued at least £16million in transfer fees.

Agent details: Kotscho, Diego (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/diego-kotscho/details/berater_1492.html). Who only has Kaka as his client.

– A model professional footballer and a classy person off it as well. Won whatever he could at club (Serie A & CL with Milan, La Liga with Real Madrid) and international levels (World Cup with Brazil). Ballon d’Or winner in 2007. He still has a lot to offer at club and international football and could be ready for his last challenge in EPL.

Ricardo Kaka – Real Madrid Tribute (2009-2012)

Kaka – The Return 2012 HD

Of the above 5, the closest we could get should be Kaka (including transfer fees, wages, agent fees). He could play behind the main forward as a playmaker or second striker. He is not over-the-hill as yet and gives a positive attitude wherever and whenever he plays. I see him in a similar stature as Dennis Bergkamp.

Adding him together with the loan of Thierry Henry in the next transfer window would provide at least a glimmer of hope in our club’s reversal of fortunes ahead.

PS: Kaka is close friends with Falcao.

The other player I wish we could secure is Henrikh Mkhitaryan (valued at least £15million) – 20 goals and 8 assists in 26 competitive club games (league, CL) currently this season. A star playmaker/second striker in the making for the future.

His league strike rate (18 goals in 17 games) is level with C.Ronaldo (13 goals in 15 games) & El Shaarawy(AC Milan)(13 goals in 16 games) and just behind Messi (23 goals in 15 games), Falcao (16 goals in 14 games) & Ibrahimovic (17 goals in 14 games).

(Season 2011-2012)

(Season 2012-2013)

Written by JM

86 Responses to Tribute to Dennis Bergkamp (A story of a Legend)

1. Sheep Hagger says:

Morning
    Great post but I have not watched the videos I will later.
    There is one great player missing from the above list,no mention of
    Christian Ronaldo.
    Much love sheep.

2. JM says:

Firstly, thanks to peaches for putting up my post (along with the videos).

You may also wish to refer to these 2 other links on D.B. giving his thoughts on his footballing journey, @Ajax, Inter and Arsenal, D.B.’s footballing insights and methods when playing the game, players he played and coaches he worked with in an interview with Bob Wilson. (which are originally from Arsenal TV sometime back). Hosted link at Rutube.com, a russian video sharing website.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Lastly, from the headline video link (while it remains on youtube before any copyright owners chooses to remove), there is another tribute for our other legend, Thierry Henry.

Thierry Henry “a story of a legend”

Morning JM, thanks for serving up a large portion of nostalgia to remind us how wonderful it was to have a player of DB’s class in the red and white. A couple of years ago I may have cited TH14 as our best ever player, but when I review their Arsenal careers, I would now have to say that DB was our best ever player.

Unfortunately players like him don’t grow on trees and cost tuppence in 2012. I share your conviction that we should try to find someone of gravitas in the game to lift the team – and I don’t mean TH for a month much as I love him.

It is obvious that we are at a point where 4 wins could put us firmly back on track and silence all but the most dedicated doubters, anything less than 8 points from those four games and we will be yearning for the days when DB graced THoF.

4. Gooner In Exile says:

DB10 was probably the greatest player to grace Highbury.

He may still possibly be the best EPL player. I can’t think of many “greats” that come that close to his talent, work ethic and desire.

And I am jealous of all those who saw him play in the flesh, a privilege I never had.

Morning GiE, how come you never saw DB, I know you’re young (ish 😛 ) but surely you were an active supporter in his era?

6. Personally I’d have him over Messi

7. i never saw him either 😦

GM. Way over-rated that Messi …. 😀

It is strange how one doesn’t realise one is in the presence of genius when it appears every week.

I guess I saw at least half of DB’s AFC appearances and always rated him but never as the God-Like figure he has become. He was just one of the brilliant players we had at the time.

IMO TH14 is the best Arsenal player I have seen with Liam second and DB 3rd. Would be wonderful to have all 3 back with the club and not beyond the realms of possibility.

Thinking of brilliant players and JM’s post. What this team needs is an Ian Wright in his pomp.

Thinking of Mkitaryan. Has there ever been a really successful Russian/East European player in the PL?

It seems to me they don’t travel well. There was a winger at MU who did OK

10. 26may1989 says:

Raddy, I think you must be thinking of Kanchelskis.

Interesting point re Eastern Europeans and Russians, I’m going to have a think about that one!

Lovely write up re DB, simply the best, no question.

11. JM says:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments. I do have a confession in that Dennis Bergkamp is the 2nd player that I admired as a model professional footballer. (The 1st that I admired is Paolo Maldini, who I modeled my own game after when I played as a fullback during junior and high school. Lee Dixon, similarly a fullback, is another player I looked up to when I followed Arsenal FC subsequently.)

I do urge all to view the 2 links on D.B’s interview by Bob Wilson that I put up later @10:35 am, you would have a good insights of the minds of a model professional footballer.

@Rasp 10:57 am,
    I do see glimpse of D.B. as a model footballer and a classly person outside of it when I am watching Andres Iniesta. I believe Iniesta is the closest player currently to resemblance a clone of D.B.

Accolades from coaches and players on Iniesta (from data online):
    {{ Quotes:

Vicente del Bosque described him as “the complete footballer. He can attack and defend, he creates and scores.”

Frank Rijkaard said “I played him as a false winger, central midfielder, deep midfielder and just behind the striker and he was always excellent.”

FIFA.com says, “It is in this position that his direct style and quick feet can be used to full effect, with the ball seeming glued to his toes as he races into threatening positions. Iniesta is a player known for his passing, dribbling, vision and movement.”

Zidane also praised Iniesta by saying “Iniesta is really impressing me,” the 39-year-old told Spanish radio station Cadena Cope. “He’s got so much influence in Spain’s game. He reminds me of myself, but he is more pale than me.” Thus the nickname, El Caballero Pálido (The Pale Knight).

Chelsea striker and Spain team-mate Fernando Torres said that “we’ve been playing together since we were 15 and I have never, ever seen him play badly.” }}}

Similarly seeing the ghosts/glimpses of: R.Pires in Kaka (the elegance with the football in his feet), I.Wright in D.Villa (his striking instincts as well as being outspoken), T.Henry in Falcao (The burning desire to score, help his team winning, “destroying reputations” of defenders/goalkeepers).

Btw, Denni’s coaching contract with Ajax should expire on 30 June 2013.

Maybe, he could be our big signing in summer 2013, help A.W. instil the “Total Football” attacking football system, esp. on our AMs and FWs.

12. 26may1989 says:

Depends on how you define your terms but here are a few Eastern Europeans who’ve succeeded in the PL: Kanchelskis, Cech, Petrescu, Vidic, Berbatov, Skrtel, Hleb?, Rosicky?, Modric, Kolorov.

Re Russians, the best really does seem to be Kanchelskis: despite his early success we can’t claim much for Arshavin. Rebrov wasn’t all that, likewise Kharine. Luzhny was probably the best Ukrainian, which is saying something.

13. Cahill just got sent off. World champions my arse

14. Kanchelskis had a terrible gambling problem. He may have done better otherwise. torres just had a goal ruled out in injury time 🙂

” I blame Roman for all of it. How did he ever think Torres could replace Drogba?!! He had better get his cheque book out in January and fix his mess. I am sick of our toothless attacking play.”

Says it all about the modern football “fan”. Not even a season after Roman bought them the CL.

16. JM says:

@Big Raddy 11:45 am,

Only East European/Russian attacking players? Or in general?

In general who are competent:
    Patrik Berger, Vladimir Smicer, Petr Cech, Ludek Miklosko, Georgiou Kinkladze, Stelios Giannakopoulos, Jerzy Dudek, Dan Petrescu, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Andrei Kanchelskis, Alexey Smertin, Dejan Stefanovic, Nemanja Vidic, Martin Skrtel, Sergei Rebrov

17. It’s at times like this I love having chelsea tv. Cundy is looking bitter.

18. Sheep Hagger says:

Davo Suker remember him .

So as far as I can see only Cech has really starred. Though Vidic is top PL quality.

20. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp, two simple reasons:

1) Football
    2) Highbury

I gave up a Clock Endseason ticket when I was 17 due to being asked to play senior football on Saturdays. By the time I was 27 (when my bones had had enough abuse) he was gone. And when I have up the season ticket (Graham’s last season) Sunday matches were a rare opportunity. By the time Sunday matches were regular for Arsenal and a SeasonTicket was viable it was virtually impossible to get a ticket (and my then GF would have been an ExGF very quickly)

Thanks for the read JM

Bergkamp is my all time favourite Arsenal player and, as you say, “We (certainly) need that type of player right now at the club.”

But I am afraid the sad reality is that if he came on the market now he would not chose Arsenal. Why you may well ask, well he didn’t come to THOF to win trophies (as so many players say now) he didn’t come to THOF to forefill some kind of boyhood dream, he came to THOF for the money.

And we would be out bid if he came of the market tomorrow.

Someone is going to say: oh but he did win trophies; to which I say, look at the squad he joined; Helder, Kawamya, Magoldic may have even still have been there. So, lets be clear, he did not join Arsenal becasue he thought, wow this squad is really going somewhere.

Thanks GiE, what a shame, well you certainly deserved to have seen him 🙂 , but life (and girlfriends) often get in the way.

23. Sheep Hagger says:

HT
    Spuds 0 Swansea jacks 0.
    Suits us a draw.

24. Brigham says:

Dennis Bergkamp, the best player I have ever seen grace the turf at Highbury or outside of it. Only non Arsenal player who I enjoyed watching as much was Zola, great little player, great heart and skillful.

Put quite simply Bergkamp = GOD!

25. How these referees keep their jobs is beyond me

26. The Blues become the first team since 2006 to fail to win the Club World Cup after winning the Champions League.

Hope they enjoyed the 2 games and the trip to Japan.

I thought the plan was for the Chavs to play entertaining football. If so it has failed.

28. I find it entertaining when they lose. maybe that’s what they meant

Nice post, JM.
    I enjoyed the vids of the Shakhtar chap.

Ah, Dennis.
    Fate drew him to our club when things were on a bit of a downer for him.
    Unfortunately I think those days are gone.
    I think we have two hopes of landing a player of similar stature to those you mention. No hope and Bob Hope.

Thank heaven the sugar daddies weren’t around as early as 1999- 2000 else we may not have seen that golden period in our history.

Here you go, the Metro knows the quality of player we’re after these days. 🙂

I really hope Boro find the necessary £10 million required before we do. hahahahahahaha

We could go 5th if we beat the bottom team tomorrow. Yippee.

32. Brigham says:

Chas, if we fail to win with ease tomorrow, then we are ‘Royally’ fooked! Reading are poor, I mean, even United beat them recently.

Oh to have DB10 in his heyday still in the red and white of Arsena out there, doing what only DB10 could do.

How well Dennis would play with our current squad. He had Pires, Freddie, TH, Wiltord, Overmars, Kanu etc etc to feed off him.

34. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas the worse thing about our current situation is that your comment at 5:59 has the “if” caveat 😦

I thought last season was the funny old year, but maybe we are just seeing how level it is becoming underneath the big boys. And that any manager given a bit of time can construct a good squad.

LB explained in his post yesterday the way we have to operate now, I wonder how many players like Benteke or Tiote would pass up the option of us, Spuds or Liverpool in favour of playing week in week out at the likes of Villa and Toon?

35. Gooner In Exile says:

Also looks like we have secured Jack on a long term deal (5 years), when should we look to renew it?

Was impressed with his comments when discussing the deal.

36. Sheep Hagger says:

DB getting my vote for bbc sports personality of the year.
    Lol
    I’ll be voting for Mo Affzal as he’s a Arsenal fan.
    And the lad won two golds

I vote for BSR for overseas sports personality for outstanding loyalty to his wallet.

38. Sheep Hagger says:

Lol@chas

Lovely walk down memory lane JM.

DB is the best player I have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt and I consider my self fortunate to have had a season ticket during his Arsenal reign.

GIE,
    Every time I go to the Emirates some clown says ‘ but it’s only Reading ( substitute QPR, Wigan, Southampton, Swansea, etc, etc) as if we just have to turn up to win.
    As soon as the team realise that they shouldn’t think like moronic supporters the better as far as I’m concerned.
    After all we didn’t dispose of Bradford, did we?

41. slime says:

Wouldn’t mind Christian Eriksen at Arsenal next year.

42. Brigham says:

Chas, thing is mate, we SHOULD be beating the likes of Reading, QPR etc, you know it, I know it. I agree that no game is a given, but if you wish to think you are a ‘top’ team, then you should be beating teams like those. That is not being arrogant, just a small fact mate.

Slime. Where would Eriksen play?

44. Gooner In Exile says:

ManUre should have beaten Blackburn at home last year, that they didnt cost them the league. But on any given matchday anything can happen.

The very attitude of thinking we should beat any team, isn’t that the same as Wenger saying if we play to our potential we will win? He gets criticised a lot for that attitude, but it seems we fans have it too.

Brigham,
    “if you wish to think you are a ‘top’ team” says it all for me. The top teams finish with the most points. It doesn’t matter which teams you gain those points from.

In 2010-11 the mancs won the league. Guess which team they lost their unbeaten record to? Yep, Wolves who finished 1 point above the 2nd and 3rd bottom teams.

In the Invincibles season we drew with Portsmouth (twice), Leicester, Bolton, Birmingham, Fulham and Charlton amongst others. All teams we should have been beating, don’t you think?

46. Gooner In Exile says:

If Sports Personality is about best personality then it should be Bradley Wiggins or Ellie Simmonds.

If its about achievement it should be Weir, Farah, or Wiggins.

47. Brigham says:

Chas, we are not a top team anymore and will not be for some time. We are in the doldrums right now and you know it as much as I do.

GIE,
    It’s definitely not about personality, Giggs won it in 2009.
    About the same time John Terry was winning ‘father of the year’ 🙂

49. evonne says:

bless Gary Neville

GiE – for me both personality and achievement is Andy Murray.

Brigham,
    It was you that used the “if you wish to think you are a ‘top’ team” line, not me.

I’d go for Jessica Ennis, any day of the week.

52. Brigham says:

Chas, don’t be pendatic mate.

53. evonne says:

of course you would Chas

Unfortunate typo, Brigham. 🙂

55. Brigham says:

Red wine induced!

All I was saying is that maybe a change in attitude from both players and supporters that games such as Reading away are not a guaranteed 3 points but a mini cup final in themselves, might actually start to get us out of this slump rather than allowing us to continue to wallow in a pool of self pity that we’re no longer an automatic ‘top team’.

57. slime says:

BR,

In our squad 🙂

It’s time to stop worrying about who our first XI is and start building a group of players that can compete. Buying players like Chamakh to cover RvP and Squillaci to cover the other 3 CB’s doesn’t exactly make people worry about their place. Competition keeps people on their game and I think it’s all become too comfortable for some. Also, how do these ‘cover’ players feel when they lose their place to the guaranteed starters? Too many in our squad have lost confidence because of this exact same scenario.

58. evonne says:

wiggins, not sure i’d be happy if he wins

59. Gooner In Exile says:

Slim when Chamakh started his campaign I seem to remember a lot of us loving him. He was plan B, and plan A when RvP wasn’t fit at the start of the campaign, and he started well, and brought something new to the team, scored a few ugly goals.

And then somewhat freakishly RvP got fit and stayed fit, and Chamakh got less and less opportunities. Now here’s that word if again. If RvP had not stayed fit we would still be paying him £90k per week, and he would be with Diaby on the fans “sell now, stop wasting money list”.

Squid was an experienced proper defender, again who everyone thought would be useful to nurture Djourou and help TV5. Kos also came with him and they were both thrown in at the deep end thanks to TV5s injury, one swam the other sank….one had CL experience, the other French League 2. Funny what works and what doesn’t. Wenger unfortunately doesn’t have the time to wait for the polish the rough diamonds as he used to…and is being forced to spend in the ready made market, something he has struggled to do recently….I think because he needs to add 2 or 3 players with the same budget Chelsea will spend on 1.

Morning Chas,
    Haven’t read many comments, but your 10:10 last night is spot on.
    If we start acting like a mid table team, we’ll be fourth no bother. Carry on moaning about Fair Play, City and Chelsea and we may as well all go home.
    Ding Dong Match Day.
    Love those Brighton lights 🙂

Who won Sports Personality?

Morning, Micky.
    If we start acting like a mid table team…………..hahaha.
    Anyone would think you were taking the piss. 🙂

Googled it.
    Wiggins and Bolt. Happy with that.

Chas
    I’m not at all.
    There are 80 something odd other teams that don’t moan about how unfair life is, they go out and try and win as many games as possible.
    Our lot play with built in excuses.

What’s your prediction for tonight?
    A stress-free evening of cavalier football and plenty of goals?

Morning All.

Really enjoyed the SPOTY show, and great that Wiggo won.

And looking forward (?) to tonight

Peaches and Rasp,
    I’ll have a go at a match report.

The title of it is, “Like a Pheasant from the Flames”.

Either that or, “Going Cold Turkey for Christmas”

Thomas Vermaelen and the boys, YOU decide.

Must dash

Right, let’s get positive about tonight. A Raddy PM coming up, followed by “Pheasant from the Flames” from Chas. Can’t be bad 🙂

70. slime says:

Morning GiE, and everyone else!

Whilst Chamakh and Squillaci may have been useful to see us through the stadium transition, they are no longer the type of player we need. It’s time to start swapping these players who are on the way out with players who are considered possible ‘worldies’!

I know it’s not easy to find these players, I know others are sniffing around, and I know it’s not CM where you can buy them at will, but getting in 28 year old freebies (excluding Huntelaar!) 30 year old oldies, or 19 year old maybe’s isn’t going to cut it anymore. A French or African kid we’ve never heard of plucked from some obscure 3rd division team may well be the next big thing, but with the way that ALL clubs scout these days, it’s becoming more and more unlikely.

Recent signings have been more positive, but I feel most of those were rushed or forced due to players leaving. I think he can, and will, do better, but probably not until the summer.

71. Sheep Hagger says:

Chas
    Use this title
    Gobble Gobble Mr Wenger the vultures are out.
    Much love
    Sleepy Sheepy

72. slime says:

Wenger happy as a pig in……a blanket!

73. Gooner In Exile says:

It’s rare I disagree with you Slim but if prefer more like Koscielny, Jenkinson etc than Podolski, or other “big name” players.

Especially if we are looking at what Micky said earlier about the mentality needed at the moment. Workrate is key it is why so many of us are driven to distraction by Arshavin who is becoming a better player by not playing in the eyes of the fans.

Jack is 20 years old but he speaks with the head of someone who can see what is required in the PL.

“People are criticising the manager at the moment, but there will be a time when they look at the players and ask questions of us. We don’t want that, so we have to step up and be counted,”

74. Gooner In Exile says:

And further:

“We have to remember our strengths. I think technically we are probably the best team out there, We have to get the result, that’s the main thing. We know it won’t be easy, especially having just lost at Bradford. Reading are desperate for a win too, down the bottom of the league. So we need to roll our sleeves up, get stuck in and do what we are good at – keeping the ball. When we create chances we know we have to take them.”

slime. Recent signing rushed?

Santi, Pod and OG not top players? That is harsh.

All players require a settling in period and some take longer than others but there can be no questioning their quality

Yes, I know you can point at the summer of 2011 but Arteta, BFG, Gerv and Ox were the big signings – the others were stop-gaps and have played very little (Park, Cham, Santos)

chas, thanks, we graciously accept your offer of a match report 😛

77. slime says:

Whoa!

I never said that any of Pod, Giroud or Cazorla lacked quality. When I said some of the signings were rushed I was referring to Santos, BFG etc.

I believe the newer signings are more than good enough and I’ve been saying for some time that they need time to settle.

What I am saying is that future transfers need to be more convincing than previous efforts if Wenger wants to turn the team into winners.

78. evonne says:

bitscores are back asking for money

Dare I say it, but if we could put in 80% of the effort QPR demonstrated at the weekend we will win comfortably tonight.

I’ve been listening to ‘The Romford Pele’ on TS and his description of the ‘fun’ aspect of our game in his days is something we are missing as well I think.

evonne. I can’t find any info on bitscores. Would be great if they returned

Evonne
    Briliant news, but I can’t find them. Tried googling liveonlinefooty as well as bitscores and I just get the internet rozzers warning thing.
    They can keep the last £6. Sign me up prontissimo.
    Where are they?

Micky. I have done the same. …. Zip, not even the warnings.

The sopcasts have been good so far but LOF negates the faffing about

Morning all ….