Disheartening lethargic display

Reading back through the comments during and after the game, the disappointment was intense.

Largely, I expect that before the game most gooners had felt that we should come home with all three points from Carrow Road. By the time it got to the last ten minutes of the game I would have settled for a point even though both of the Manchester clubs and the chavs had come from behind to win their games earlier in the day. The days of our Arsenal swashbuckling their way to a victory from the jaws of defeat seem such a long time ago.

The stats for the game tell you nothing of how poorly we played. They say we had thirteen shots to Norwich’s  seven ……… THIRTEEN, can anyone remember that many because I can’t and seven of them were on target. Oh, I do remember Ruddy catching the ball a couple of times but they were hardly close.

We had 62% possession according to the BBC, I’d rather have 30% and make it count for something. In truth, we didn’t ever look like scoring because we really didn’t try very hard.

Maybe it was Arteta being pulled out of position protecting the space left by Santos, maybe it was Podolski carrying an ankle injury, maybe it was Vermaelen not playing as a steady centre-back, maybe it was Gervihno being trapped and Santi’s radar being switched off and Giroud just not seeing enough of the ball but this Arsenal hardly played as a team.

I’d noticed similar problems against West Ham but we got lucky and managed to score and win that game.

This team have for some reason stopped playing like a team. Is the Theo question having a destablising effect on the dressing-room? Have the frailties that stopped previous squads pushing themselves forward hit this squad already? The early gung-ho, look at us, we’re the mighty Arsenal has vanished.

Yesterday we returned to passing backwards and rarely running with the ball through the mid-field to frighten and open up the opposition. The Norwich players were on their toes and they seemed to know exactly what we were going to do and they were ready to cut out our passing almost every time. We on the other hand were extremely lucky to get away with a 1-0 scoreline, I feel.

I would say we were undone in the final third but that doesn’t explain why so little of the play actually got into the final third.

You have to wonder what the morale is like after a defeat like that. When we lost to Chelsea it was as a result of poor defending of set-plays, they scored two goals that we should have defended better but at least we were trying to score and on the balance of the play probably we were good for a draw. Yesterday a goalkeeping error helped  Norwich to a goal but it wasn’t in the 85th minute, it was in the 20th minute, we still had plenty of time to get into the game and turn the screw. No-one’s head seemed to be in the right place.

Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla and Gervihno will get us goals this season as will Theo, The Ox and Ramsey but the play has to lead to a goal scoring opportunity and yesterday it didn’t.  We had ten corners and they just weren’t good enough.

I’m very sad because I was really looking forward to watching this team play again and I’m disappointed that we’ve slipped further behind the leaders with this loss. I know we’re only eight games in and it’s a long race but we should be gaining ground not dropping down the table.

Luckily there’s not much time to hide under the rock, licking the wounds and an injury to The Ox doesn’t help when trying to look for positives but Jack was there, ready and willing even though AW didn’t send him into the fray. Other players that teams find unplayable like Theo and Diaby will hopefully return soon and Gibbs and Koscielny give us more options in defence.

Did we have a captain out there today? Vermaelen was wearing the armband but I didn’t much in the way of rousing the team from him. AW has to find an answer to this fairly quickly, in games like this one when we play in this way we are rudderless and that can’t help with team harmony either.

The connection that was in evidence at the start of the season between this group of players must return at some point, sooner rather than later huh?

Written without humour by peachesgooner

175 Responses to Disheartening lethargic display

1. slugboy says:

The defence played ok yesterday but the midfield (except arteta) and forwards were rubbish. I have not seen such lack of movement in a long time. Was everyone jaded?

The two players who seemed to want it were Arteta and Gnabry when he came on. We need more competition for places as everyone seemed very complacent.

Utter rubbish yesterday.

Peaches. Thnks for a warts and all post.

My pre-match reflected the performance yesterday. I was totally convinced we would win and that we would win well. I could see us conceding a from a set play but thought we would show the tempo and cohesion shown in the second half at Upton Park.

Norwich’s goal should have woken the team up but it didn’t. There was no response. Where were the fighters, where were the men who take the game by the scruff of the neck?

We had all our leaders on the pitch yesterday – BFG, TV, Santi, Arteta, Pod – all capable of lifting the team, but for some reason they couldn’t.

Our dreadful crossing meant there was no chance to exploit Giroud’s aerial ability. Gerv had one of his frustratingly pointless afternoons. Pod was off the pace after the first 10 minutes. Santi’s passing was not up to his normal standard and the midfield triangles just didn’t work.

oops …. looks like I am writing another post 🙂

3. kgooner says:

A win on against Schalke is what they need to lift our spirits. I hope they realize that.

4. Breezy says:

It was absolutely painful to watch us yesterday. We never look like scoring in effect we never looked like caring and that for me is the most disappointing. All this talk about character and belief needs to stop until the actually starts to show some consistently throughout the season.

Kgooner. You are right. A win and a good performance.

6. glic says:

I haven`t seen the game and cant bring myself to watch it, why depress myself !.
    Lets put it down as a bad day at the office !. I dont understand why anyone would implie we were jaded and tired, what, after the 8th game of the season , poor souls, they must be knackered !.
    Anyone know what and how bad was the Ox injury ?

Breezy. How do they show they care? The fact the team had a minimum 62% possession shows how much they tried. What lost us the game was not lack of passion, it was lack of cohesion.

8. kgooner says:

Am compartmentalizing my frustrations until Wednesday @Big Raddy. True test of metal is recovery and converting a failure into a learning experience.

9. Rasp won’t be around until later so none of the widgets will be updated until then I’m afraid.

We so didn’t look like scoring that I almost had to not watch the last ten minutes but then I clung to the possibility that we would score and watched until the end 😦

10. kgooner says:

“Hear that boys, you have till Wednesday to pull your socks up.”

11. kgooner says:

@peachesgooner last minute hopes while the clock winds down 😦 Had a lot of those last season.

12. Maybe they just miss the Emirates and Wednesday night will make them feel better …….. clutching at straws there 😉

AW should get on the phone to Roy and find out what pills he gives to the England players, that should help a lot ……. 🙄

13. Excellent post. The point about Vermaelen’s captaincy is very valid, I was thinking exactly the same. Also re: corners , ten yesterday fifteen V West Ham,. without remotely looking like scoring. This has been going on for years. What an indictment of the work at our training centre.

14. kgooner – it was quite exciting having the BFG playing up front for the last 5 minutes didn’t you think?

15. Charlie G says:

Giroud not right for this team. He should only come in as a sub. We do not play with target man. Period.
    With gervinho, our play will have better fluidity. The forwards could switch position easily.
    As dor the match, its definitely the worst I have seen for a long time. The best performers were Ox, despite being on for 5 minutes and Gnarby. Both showed desire and willingness to go at the norwich defense. The rest were so frightened that they just moved the ball from side to side.
    Vermallen was restrained, must be was told that his gallavanting ways has cost the team dearly.
    Based on this performance changes have to be made. Santos, giroud, ramsey have to be dropped.

16. Red Arse says:

Morning Peaches, 🙂

I know that you have a lot on your plate, but reading your Post makes me realize that you are short changing all the rest of us on AA!

You have written an excellent article from a proper fan’s perspective regarding the deeply traumatic disappointment of a game no one could have believed, pre-match, that we could lose.

You really must write more Posts so that we can share in and enjoy your thoughts about Arsenal. 🙂

17. kgooner says:

@peaches Only game i’ve watched is the highlights on Arsenal Player. I’ve read comments on Par up front here and elsewhere. Par is such a slow (but efficient) giant. Hard to believe. Must have really been desperate. I’ll try find a clip.

18. kgooner says:

The post was a written one peaches. In its own class compared to most. A lady’s touch 🙂

19. kgooner says:

a *well

20. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches a well written reflection of a poor day at the office.

I notice there were no ratings I am not surprised, a big fat zero for all. Except Jenkinson who scores a 5 for effort and it not being his fault, for me he was the one player that did the job required of him.

Santos’s movement caused us problems, Arteta having to shift across and cover far too much….there was two other options available…

1) a bollocking from Arteta to tell him to hold the wing
    2) Vermaelen shifting across to cover and allowing Arteta to stay central and mop up pieces.

21. Breezy says:

@ Big Reddy. Have to disagree. Norwich were happy to give us possession up until the final third so I hardly think that shows that thy tried. For me the lack of passion was evident in the things we didn’t do. Norwich were pretty comfortable in possession the whole game, we placed almost no pressure on them. There was no urgency even when we went one down, no urgency as the game wound down. The impression I got was that we thought we’d turn up and win and we all know how those turn out and yesterday was no exception.

22. Red Arse says:

To start picking out individual players for criticism after a performance like that is invidious, pointless and divisive.
    It was a poor team performance!

All credit to Norwich because they deserved to win on the day, the question has to be — WHY?

It cannot be that we were unlucky to come up against a top team performing well. Norwich had previously scored only 5 goals all season and shipped 17 – yes 17 goals against, with 9 of them in the last two games!!!

What then? Internationals? No — jet Lag? No — Over confidence? No.

I admit I am baffled, other than to say it is just — football.
    We are not the first team or the only team to inexplicably lose to a much inferior team. The FA cup for example is full of such events, but so too is the EPL over the years.

My concern was that a style I had hoped we had left behind with the arrival of Santi and Podolski was back in all its infuriating glory.

I am talking about the slow, slow side to side passing with an all too frequent pass back to the keeper that we have over indulged in over the previous few seasons.

Possession, for that is the name it glories in, is all very well when you are leading 1:0 or 10:0 but it is neither sensible or understandable when you are losing!!

Even during injury time we were casually passing the ball two or three yards sideways or backwards as if we were ahead or had all the time in the world.

Perhaps you disagree with my assessment — but I know what I saw, and I know we tend to lose when we play that particular brand of mindless sideways football.

Breezy. You make your point well but I disagree. let’s leave it there 🙂

I cannot agree that Giroud is not right for the team. We have to learn to work with him and that takes time. A front line of Gerv, OG and Pod should have been enough – it wasn’t. But if you don’t give the forwards ammunition they will always fire blanks.

Did Giroud have the chance to score yesterday? No. And he isn’t the type of player who can create his own chances …. there are very few RvP’s

The days of teams sitting off us and allowing fast counter-attacks are over. TH14 would struggle against packed defences – everyone does and we don’t have the genius of DB10 to assist.

RA. Are you saying we lacked thrust?

25. bryan green says:

no pace no movement. what concern me is how poor teams find it easy to play againt us just sit back and wait.we get the ball wide for a cross ,there nobody in the box.You look at Man U four crosses four goals three and four players in box.

26. Gooner In Exile says:

Agreed RA which is why I have a problem with individuals, as the system we play needs all cogs to be working, Chelsea’s old system only required one or two, the defence and Drogba.

Passing side to side works when it stretches the opposition, you can’t stretch the opposition if we don’t have width, Santos didn’t provide us width, Podolski makes runs infield, Santos by being in the same place made him ineffectual, and took away our natural width.

27. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Morning all,

Thanks for the report Peaches and writing it how it is. The team deserve nothing more than a big fat F for FAIL in a bright red marker. Maybe only Jenks can leave the field with his head up…

I could have sworn that Arsene gave his pre match pep talk in ‘mandarin’ because from the moment of kick off our boys looked confused and seemed to have lost their bearings..”where are we? what day is it? what does he mean, total football?

It was total shambles! From a technical and tactical point of view, you only have to read through all of GiEs comments from half time and post match in regards to Santos’ positioning and the inbalance he creates when he drifts in with no purpose, thus using Arteta as his security blanket and crippling the whole teams structure..

But this is not an excuse for last nights display, no way jose, quite simply, our boys who represent us the fans, the club its face and their manager just didnt turn up..No fire in the belly and no where near as hungry as our fans..

I love Wenger, but not today. Today i just like him
    Micky is right. After that display and all factors considered, the buck stops with our manager. Yep, Arsene this is your boo-boo, actually it was utter tripe.. Ive heard in Cescs time at the club that there was an occassion where Arsene went off his rocker telling his players that they were not worthy of representing the royal red and white on that day….well that day SHOULD ALSO BE YESTERDAY, and the manager included.. It was very sad and not good enough..

Your right Peaches in asking the question about our captain and leadership on the field. Once again a big fat F for Fail.. I want screaming, yelling, fighting, hunger and above all BELIEF..Vermaelen had none! We went into submission without being threatened really. Naarich? please..

Anywho, rant over, thanks again Peaches, today im a frothing loon and feel indifferent to everything the way i did when i watched the game live, a real weird feeling..

PS. on a side note, a few calling for our best finish this season to be 4th.. I think thats jumping the gun, yesterday we didnt turn up but we have proved we have the talent and te season is a very long marathon..Its up to Arsene to bring back the fire and belief, and worry about our own backyard.. In regards to chelsea, weve seen them start very well so many times only to stumble then crumble, same as Manc scums, one injury to V.pussy will dent them, and mancinis mob are hot and cold, their talent squad wise will see em in the top3 but they dont have the hunger to get em over the line this season..

Its still very open this season with and without my rose tinted frames

28. Red Arse says:

Hi Randy,

Yes I thought our play was akin to a flaccid ….. er, candle! 🙂

29. Breezy says:

@ Big Raddy ( I got your name right this time 😜) lets agree to disagree. But I do agree about Giroud I do think he will do quite well once fully settled in.

What many people tend to forget is that there were games last year when we were just as poor with RvP in the team. In short poor team performances cannot be attributed to a single player.

30. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Redders @11.01,

I agree 110% with your assesment.. It felt like 11 new members to the starting line up in a pre-season friendly..

Arsenal should never play like this. It harms us more than it does benefit.. Leave that style to the Udineses of this world in a first leg european tie..slow, safe(quite dangerous actually) and boring..

I want Arsenal in attack with penetration and PROMISE

Really excellent, Peaches.
    You ought to write more, as RA says.

Blame Tayo for the disturbing clips this morning.
    He tweeted about Mr. Noseybonk and the second one was a youtube recommendation after the first one.

Btw, it was my attempt at a visual metaphor match report, a bunch of dildos producing a laughable performance.

That horseshoe shape passing in front of the opposition defence never gets us anywhere so why persist with it. Nobody tried to get in between the two banks of four. Why not try all three forwards close together through the middle? Try something different at least.

Hey ho, 3 games for me in 7 days starting Wednesday. Yippee.

32. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Jealous is the word Chas 😦

33. Red Arse says:

Hi GIE,

I think it is right to analyse the way certain players responded to the opposition and to their fellow team mates, as you have tried to do.

My concern is that team games are very complex, and a man who does nothing the whole game and is a selfish so and so, can often turn out to be the hero if he scores the winning goal with his only positive touch of the ball.

In the same way, a guy giving his all and covering every blade of grass can turn out to be the villain for missing an open goal which would have won a match.

I write that as much for myself as anyone else.
    You see, I think there is an ‘excuse’ for a player like Santos, who played Holt on side for their goal and perhaps cost us the game, or who did not properly interact with an injured Podolski.

My reasons? First he has not played more than a few minutes this season, because of Gibb’s excellence, and secondly, he is not a full back, and the fault in that lies with our scouts who assured Wenger that a Winger was a good full back.

Alternatively, there are certain players who some fans see as excellent, whereas others see them as totally ineffective and gutless.

That was my point about excessive criticism being divisive, it depends on which type of fan is talking about which player — and I never even mentioned Gervinho, Vermaelen or Giroud! 🙂

34. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Up until this game i think we have learned to recognise a certain style of play that Wenger has drilled into our players, well most of them.

Santos isnt a bad player. Far from it, but last night he didnt seem to fit this style and our regulars looked puzzled. Santos persistent interaction in field in the final third made Podolski obsolete

RA. Top comment. You are on fine form today

On a slightly different subject, I can’t see what’s wrong with Rio Ferdinand not wanting to wear a Kick It Out T shirt.
    If he doesn’t believe the campaign has any real guts behind it, why make yourself a hypocrite by suggesting it is working.

The John Terry punishment was pathetic and UEFA continually refuse to do anything about the racism from the Eastern European crowds.

Paying lip service to a campaign by wearing a chuffing T shirt does nothing in my eyes except pretend that everything’s ok.
    Rant over.

37. max says:

Another watershed moment in the decline of Arsenal under Wenger. This is was truly shocking. Serge Gnabry is a kid not ready, imagine him at Citeh or United. Giroud is soft and lacks aggression. Ramsey is another Denilson project. Santos is a joke figure (you pay 7 mill for THIS 27 year old Brazillian left back). Its frightening Wilshere could be rushed back prematurely by a panicking manager. Nobody at the club has the statue to sack Le Boss. And finally, after that performance Theo and his agent hold all the cards in his contract dispute.

PPP. Good point. It is all well and good Santos and Jenks moving forward and making Micky’s 3-5-2 but there has to be an understanding of who takes which space. There didn’t appear to be any.

And Gerv clearly works better on the left than the right. I think Theo would have played yesterday and given the team better balance

Keep the faith has never been more apt. Dont let this dark weekend shatter your belief in the clubs strategy or long term vision or doubt the competence of our management.

Yes, yesterday was a nightmare, and there will be more of those on the way. It may take one, two, or three years before we are capable of genuinly winning the big prizes, but we will.

Now for the dreaded word “Patience”. Without this virtue i can most definatly say that you will get angry and irate, and end up breaking your TV and foot.

Look at it positively. Success will be so much sweeter when it does, and it surely will, arive.

Chas I agree. And anything which infuriates SAF is fine by me.

41. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

That is true Raddy. Considering that the Ox picked up an injury as well. I still question why Jack was on the bench if he wasnt going to get used in all 3 substitutions? If he was only 85% doesnt he take up a place of somebody that might make a difference, or are we hit that hard with injuries at the moment that our squad is looking thin?

42. chas – agree 100% with your 11.54

43. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Terry, that 1, 2 or 3 yr path is very scary at the moment, especially after performances like this. In these next 3 yrs or until FFP is fully established, our primary goal is and should be qualifying for Champions league. Without it, im afraid it would do serious damage to our commercial credentials and getting back in the top four and Wednesday nights can be difficult and expensive..

When considering the patience game, our performance last night was woeful, and may be costly come May

PPP,
    I think Jack was on the bench to bring on with 15 to go when we were 3-0 up.
    Supposing he’d come on instead of The Ox and then got injured in the same way?

45. PPP – I reckon that AW included Gnabry but didn’t expect to play him rather than not expecting to play Jack. Gnabry would have been given a call up based on his training in the past two weeks, we’ve seen AW do this before.

I think he expected Jack to come on with 10 minutes to play when the game was safe.

46. chas – snap 🙂

47. Breezy says:

Whoa Max easy tiger, it’s not he end of the world. I like the rest am incredibly frustrated with the team but singling out players rarely helps. When Chesney made the howler against Soton, we all accepted it was largely due to being rusty having not played for 2 – 3 weeks before, surely the same logic should apply to Santos. As for Ramsey I think it’s about time people get off his back, his play has been half as bad as some make it out to be. And lastly Giroud actually seems to be adapting to rigors of the EPL just fine I don’ t recall him bullied around to much by defenders.

48. Breezy says:

PPP I agree re Jack but I can’ t think of any one else we could have had on the bench other Jack.

49. slimgingergooner says:

All yesterday showed was that after countless games exactly like this, we still haven’t got a Plan B.

With the way that Arsenal play football, there are always going to be bad days at the office where the passing isn’t precise enough or quick enough to break down a solid defence. The difference between us being top 4 and winning things is, and has been for a while, our inability to grind out results when things don’t click.

Afternoon all, thanks for the report peaches, it seems you’ve summed the game up perfectly. I only followed the first half of the game on the internet and have only gained an impression of the game from radio reports etc. so I can’t add anything to the match analysis.

It’s probably the same with all teams, but once again the fragility of our system is exposed. It either works wonderfully or not at all. Unfortunately when it doesn’t work, we often perceive a lack of urgency – “I’ll just pass the ball back to the GK rather than try to instigate an attacking move” type thinking.

I really cannot understand why we started with Podoilski, he’s been carryng an injury for some time and this has reflected in his performances.

We do have a problem with the front three. Gervinho is much more effective playing from the left than from the right. Podolski likes to play on the left. So if the pod plays on the left, either Gervinho plays in the centre and Giroud doesn’t start, or Giroud plays in the centre and Gerv doesn’t start.

This means that we can have a front 3 of the pod, Giroud and Gerv and but have to accept that Gerv will not be effective.

These combos could work in terns of getting the best out of the players on the pitch (listed left to right):

Pod, Gerv, Theo/Ox
    Gerv, Pod, Theo/Ox
    Ger, Giroud, Theo/Ox
    Ox, Giroud, Theo
    Ox, Pod, Theo

52. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Breezy, me either, actually a 100% Yennaris should have got the call up although Chas and Peaches tag- team have convinced me that we had gone into the game believing in a win and to use Jack after the result was safe..

Imo that is a dangerous tactic that didnt pay off, we ddont have too many game changers on the bench these days and the sick bay is producing a waiting line 😦

8 games into the EPL, i believe every team should be peaking and showing their best..Later in the season we’re gonna hear excuses of fixture congestion and all that..

Gibbs has become very important to our style and form!

53. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

*100% fit Yennaris

Princey Baby, very good points. the primary objective is to get top four. Some people will hate that, but that is the reality.

Ive said this before, but back in 2005 after our FA Cup win i felt that we would we go 10 years without winning anything. I also thought that we might spend a couple of years period were we languished mid table. the 10 years isnt up yet and so far we have finiished top four every year so i hope ime wrong on both fronts.

Its been very painful watching my ten year prediction materilise. What has kept me going is that i also believe that after this period we will start cleaning up. I believed that then and i believe it now.

Good match report Peaches and some surprisingly good comments.

56. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Rasp,

Who says Podolski is carrying an injury? I cant find any reports on news now and why would Germany insist on playing him or even Wenger letting him go on duty in the first place?

kelsey. If you are around, where are your uncompromising thoughts upon yesterday?

Did anyone else start secretly moaning to themselves about having to go to Cardiff again for yet another final.

Guilty.

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

I am still not even sure why Santos has come in for the amount of criticism he has. After we went behind, isn’t it natural for the wing backs to start playing further forward in an attempt to get a goal back?

Hi PPP, its been reported variously for a while now although I cannot point you to the original source or vouch for its validity.

The Pod was ineffective on the left and it wasn’t working with Gerv on the right (if reports of the game are to be believed). Unfortunately the injury to Theo and now the OX seriously restricts our ability to change round the front 3.

61. glic says:

Those chas vids were weird !. F**k nose who was in the first one !. The second one looked like Chucky`s sister !.
    I dont know if Stretch is somehow getting in my head, but I too thought we would have a barren ten years after the move, which I stretched ( hahaha) to further with the naughty coffers of you know who, so all in all, we are exceeding my expectations. If we can somehow still get CL qualification in the next few years, then that will be even more of an achievement as I think the emergence of the smaller clubs ( ie TinyTestis and Everton ) is making it harder to achieve.

62. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Thanks Raddy.

Ok Rasp, if true then i agree and should have been used sparingly.
    Does that mean that our players who are carrying minor knocks or are less than 100% fit to play are better or a safer option than a fully fit squad member? That was almost always the case when Cesc was playing injured, and we might be underestimating how tough and physically demanding the EPL is.

Pod was ineffective due to Santos style of play, and it would take a few games for them to gel as it did for Jenks to get used to the positioning he was asked to do when playing with Theo

63. Gooner In Exile says:

LB he can bomb on all game if he wants, Gibbs does, but its the positions he was taking up in the final third that to me was the problem. Second half he was much better as he held his width. The issue was more the first half for me.

As for Pod and carrying a knock for several weeks, as reported by the commentator yesterday it makes sense that he was coming off at 60 minutes. Someone else may correct me but I’m sure I remember God saying he would never take the field if he was less than a 100% as he would let himself and the team down in doing so.

Regarding failure or otherwise I think most of us here are reasonable enough to understand that trophies will come when all the stars align, we can’t/won’t compete financially to make it different. But I think what we all want to see is effort and energy from the players that do take the pitch, that wasn’t there yesterday, and that is why most of us today are so down on the team, we all can see they have the ability but they need to apply themselves every minute of every game.

64. glic says:

I wonder how Jenks feels ?. Does he feel it more being a true fan and playing ?. Can he seperate the two ?. Wouldn`t it be great to have him on site to discuss. He is only a baby in his Arsenal career, so it`s not implausible that he too went on Arsenal blog`s. I wonder if he did ?.

65. glic says:

Quick, Lets have a look on LegOver, to see if there`s a blogger called Corporal Gooner , calling for, “Wenger to die ” !. hahaha

“It was a shock to the system today. But you have to give credit to Norwich today. They played well, were completely committed and they deserved the win. Maybe we underrated the difficulty we would face. But the Premier League is the Premier League. If you are not ready for the fight then you will always have bad surprises.”

I find it hard to understand why the team would ever underrate any opposition. Three points are up for grabs every single game. Points against Citeh are worth the same as those against Norwich. The attitude should be the same regardless of who the opposition is. Surely that’s what we should expect of professionals?

glic,
    It would be amazing to speak directly to a player about the game.
    The reality is that even with the proliferation of Arsenal blogs, there are still only a tiny minority who comment on them.

BR/peaches,

Sorry went back to sleep.

I will put it into a post as a follow up to today’s post tomorrow if that’s alright.If not it will be too late.No punches pulled,many will disagree. 🙂

Please confirm by comment on here Rasp or peaches if you want it.

69. chas – I agree re the underestimating opposition.

I can see that AW might be guilty if he chooses a team not fit to compete if he feels the competition are unlikely to compete themselves but yesterday he picked the team that Raddy picked and that I would have picked. That was the team that six weeks ago would have set that game alight with their skills and energy so why not now?

70. kelsey – just seen your comment, I’ll get back to you in a few minutes if that’s ok ……

71. Breezy says:

@ peaches your comment @ 2:23 indicates to me that we still don’t have mental strength/ character to challenge for the league. It’s all well and good to say we must respond to the defeat etc. but surely the ability to lift yourselves for the so called smaller games is just as indicative of character and mental strength.

My main gripe is that we’ve been here before, last season’s games against Wigan,and QPR and few others we saw the same underestimation of opposition and got punished it seems those lessons have not been learn’t and that is infuriating.

Peaches
    If you take up Kelsey’s offer that would suit me.
    I’ve got nothing to say today, but I can do a Monday for Tuesday.
    If not, let me know and I’ll come up with something for tomorrow.

73. Thanks Rocky, I’ll ask kelsey to put his together for tomorrow then and you can have Tuesday 🙂

kelsey – please can you put together something for tomorrow then. What sort of time do you think it’ll be in drafts?

74. VCC says:

Peaches, please let Kelsey publish his post, I’m intrigued to hear what he has to say. I like a guy who speaks his mind.

In drafts early tomorrow morning about 7.30 your time.

As we are 2nd only to QPR as bottom London club, I have an inkling of the thrust behind kelsey’s post

Raddy,

A lot has been said on many blogs already so I may repeat a few but also add my own thoughts 🙂

78. richie says:

That was woeful I can’t understand why everyone on the pitch and off couldn’t see the need to make changes with immediate effect. Many of us could see that result coming from about the 25th min (just after they scored). Its no good trying SAF’s last 5min onslaughts if you haven’t preplaned your tactics and drilled everyone on their positions. Our onslaught should have come in the 1st 15mins of the second half; our playing tempo should have been upped from walking to sprinting.
    Like you I fail to understand our reasoning?

Is there something in our DNA that says we have to have some “One” that’s the man? When Cesc was our main man everything flowed through him, if he didn’t play we didn’t play. If he had an off day then the Arse had one too. Last year we were a one man team simply because we were set up to benefit Van Persie. (Not for one minute do I accept we were a one man team). but you know what I mean I’m sure.

I think Carzorla is one magnificent player but I don’t want everything to have to depend (Cesc style) on whether he plays the perfect through ball for someone to dink home. Yesterday that seemed to be our plan AB&C. To say our play was one dimensional is to state the blindingly obvious! Tightly mark Santi thought Houghton and the Arse will be hampered, and so it proved. The prem is about problem solving. Each team is problem to be solved. Against a team full of big money talent like Chelski at a minimum you have to defend well (we didn’t).

Against Sunderland you have to find a way through the massed ranks against the canaries the same. Ok the keeper made a mistake, but his team mates should’ve helped him out and at least drew level. If our idea of problem solving is always the same method then we will continue to come up one sandwich short of a pick nick. Yes we need creativity and we have creative players but we also need variety in our play, if we are always one dimensional then other teams will always only have to defend against us in the same manner, and hope for a defensive error to capitalise on, to beat us.

79. Red Arse says:

Is that my Loquacious Rocky claiming he has nothing to say and has become Taciturn Rocky? 🙂

Damn, I have just seen my watch going backwards and I have also seen a mouse thundering past me chasing a cat,

What is the world coming too? 🙂

post in drafts.

81. evonne says:

Chas – is the Seasons Compared widget deliberately out of date? Bottom half tonight 😦

82. Rasp won’t be able to update the widgets until later evonne

What are you on about ‘bottom half’?

84. evonne says:

which part don’t you understand darlilng?
    11th

85. evonne says:

maybe not until next week 🙂

86. evonne says:

Is Rasp burrying or marrying someone?

I prefer darlilng to monster.

88. evonne says:

I cannot make up make up my mind which one of you I prefer 🙂

Yesterday we looked like an English team playing a national friendly, or even worse

I don’t think we looked like an English team at all, more like Barcelona on mogadon.

90. evonne says:

I’ve never seen Barca on methadon, but I have seen some shit performances from the English team

anyway, worse things happen in life (to me anyway). Time to start looking forward to Wednesday

VCC my friend.

No one will scream at you on here, but they might at me 🙂

92. evonne says:

you are lovely Kelsey, why would anyone scream at you?

Everton! geez, so many chances, can’t put them away

I love African names – Ba, Mbia, Dembelele, Pongole, aren’t great?

93. evonne says:

and now QPR 🙂 good to see Hughes losing his cool

94. Barcelona on mogadon …….. very good 🙂

95. Gooner In Exile says:

Mogadon 🙂 ….one of my mates swears by the stuff, he is as horizontal as they come.

My older bro and nephew can’t make QPR next Saturday.
    Do any of the regulars want the tickets, row 1 North Bank upper tier corner, £48 each before I put them on the Exchange?

97. Alex Cutter says:

I’m haven’t been following Arsenal as long as the rest of you, but it seems to me that Arteta is the natural captain of the club.

Is there any reason he couldn’t be swapped with Vermaelen?

chas, i reckon VCC will want those. Maybe someone can email him or something?

99. VCC says:

Chas. I would love those tickets. If they are still on offer can I have them.

Alex. At least 2 reasons:

1. Mr wenger works everyday with the players and knows them better than any of us. TV was his considered choice.

2. Mr Wenger believes in everyone being a leader on the pitch. His view of captaincy may be different from ours anf focus more on off-pitch issues.

Arteta although an important player is hardly vocal, Vermælen is. I am happy to keep him as captain as long ss it does not make him an automatic starter.

101. glic says:

Get in there VCC
    It`s a shame you cant do a pretty please, with a face like that it`s not possible !. hahaha

Brilliant, we can all meet up for a beer. Promised VCC a drink about a year ago. Mines an ouzo by the way.

103. glic says:

Yes Stretch. I could even bring him one of my mirrors to make him look handsome ! hahaha

VCC,
    You are more than welcome. They’re all yours.

105. glic says:

What a bloody good spiffing chap you are chas !. 🙂

106. VCC says:

Thanks so much Chas. how do you want paying?

107. VCC says:

That’s a date Merry Terry n GLiC. Thanks to that wonderful man Chas (who I love dearly) we can meet in the Tavern. Ouzo for Terry Peroni for me and a glass of water with ice for you GLiC.

Haha, no probs. Cash in a brown envelope please.
    We’re usually in the Tavern from about 1pm onwards.
    By the look of it, you’ll be heading that way anyway.

109. VCC says:

If that’s ok for you to wait till Saturday I will give you the cash in the Tavern. Will be 1pm because I like to walk around the stadium just before KO to soak the atmosphere up, as I don’t get to see many games now.

That’s perfect, VCC.
    G’night.

111. VCC says:

Good night Chas. Sweet dreams. Many thanks again. See you Saturday. Take care.

112. evonne says:

VCC – they are the best tickets on the house

113. VCC says:

Evonne. Chas is my hero. The QPR game is my number one fixture of the season, for obvious reasons.

Hope we can meet and put a face to the names at the Tavern.

114. evonne says:

VCC – As much as I would love to see you and my darling Chas, I blew the footy budget for 4 months (£100 a month) in September, so I cannot go until Jan 😦

115. Gooner In Exile says:

Hmmmm now I have a decision Wednesday night Schalke or Saturday QPR, Wednesday night is less Mrs GiE permission seeking as I am away in the area Thursday night so figured I could just bolt on a hotel Wednesday night and go to the game…..but it’s only worth going to the game if I can make it to the Tavern early enough. Decisions decisions.

116. ces1ne says:

TerryMHT, I know I’m a bit late to the “party”, but regarding your 12:48 comment…”Ive said this before, but back in 2005 after our FA Cup win i felt that we would we go 10 years without winning anything. I also thought that we might spend a couple of years period were we languished mid table.” I’m very interested in why/what gave you such an extreme (at the time) view into our future. I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing with anything you said, just fascinated as to what lead you to that premonition. Was it the players leaving, the incoming $$$ of our rivals, comments by Wenger, or are you not telling us about a shiny crystal ball you get your infinite wisdom from 😉 ??? The less said about yesterday, the better….so that comment is what stood out to me today & like I stated before, extremely curious as to your reasoning for that statement. My Lord(Dennis), Wednesday/Schalke can’t come soon enough!!!!

Evening all, I’ve just updated the widgets and its not a pretty picture. So far, of the 6 fixtures which we have played that were the same as last year we are trailing by 11 to 7 = we’ve amassed 4 points less in the corresponding fixtures this season ….. not good 😦

118. Igburu samuel says:

yesterday arsenal looked as if they casted spell on them

Hi ces1ne.

The reasons for my belief of a 10 year barren spell was a combination of factors, but mostly centered around the move from Highbury to the Grove

Dont know wether you recall, but at the time of our move we were not finding it easy to raise the finance. Now, been an Accountant and an Arsenal nut i followed the Grove move very closely. All the indicators were that we would be restricted by the lenders to covenents to keep a certain amount of cash within the club to maintain our credit worthiness. We of course also had to sign up to comercial deals that deprived us of future market vaule.

The moves repurcusions on our playing squad were inevitable. To maintain a playing squad at a time when wage inflation was massive, we would have to cull our exsisting squad of title winners, and procure young and unproven players with resale vaule. This of course would have a dramatic effect on our performance on the pitch. How many clubs could have coped as well as we did with such a turnover of players?

Then of course there was Mr Abramovitch. The Blackburn experience of the 90’s taught us that the Title could be bought and the thought of the Russians money made me tremble.

Lastly. i am a great believer in stability. If you lose the power to dictate your internal envoirement because you have to cope with a house move, you will fall behind, and once you do it is very difficult to recover.

The good news as far as ime concerned is that we are getting closer to the end of this cycle. New comercial deals, loan interest eroded by inflation, and hopefuly FFP should see us become competitive

Also, back to stability. we will have it. The club will not have to undergo any major restructing for a long time were as our oppenents, city and chelsea with the ffp headache, and liverpool and spurs with there stadium moves, will be scratching there heads.

We will be back to winning things soon my friend, keep the faith.

Hope i havnt come over as an arogant twat ces1ne, i dont mean too, am just expressing my opinion.

P.s, what i have just said is rubbish realy. I just rubbed an old glass back in 2005 and a little man with a turban and funny trousers told me it will be 10 years. hahaha

120. goonerjake says:

Yesterday arsenal looked unbalanced. In the same way they do everytime Pod Gir and Ger play as a front three. Because of this it makes our midfield look light. Not in quality but in bodies. The front three become detatched from the mid three. Hey.. what do i know im still depressed

121. TotalArsenal says:

Excellent, heart-felt and relatively uplifting match report Peaches. A joy to read. 🙂

122. richie says:

This link is for Kelsey and the rest of you bloody number crunchers on here.
    give this site a scan if you will and report back your far more educated financial opinions please, does this look about right?

123. weedonald says:

You bunch of whiny, gloomy-doomers posting on this blog are so ready to write off the entire season based on 1 bad performance and a so-called ¨mediocre¨ start to our season and yet call themselves Arsenal supporters? How can you call yourselves fans…true fans accept defeat, even a listless one like Saturday’s with aplomb and calmness. There are still 28 games left……we will get better and more cohesive…our inconsistencies will get ironed out eventually.

1) Our season and the potential to win a title or trophy are far from over,
    2) EVERY team has games like this,including the leaders and their cohorts,
    3) No team should be underestimated, they can all cause upsets as we saw last season,
    4) AFC are not divinely protected from losing, nor are they divinely destined to win every game, They didn’t deserve to win yesterday, they DID deserve EVERY win this season!

If you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen you plastic fanboys…..or pick up the Arsenal standard and keep supporting your Club through thick and thin….to do otherwise is only worthy of true losers!

richie,

i am flattered that you chose me to point out The Swiss Ramble. You obviously haven’t been reading our site for very long.I believe it was only last week that I myself directed others on here to the very same article, and enough of the “bloody number crunchers” please.

You and weedonald won’t like today’s post, that’s for sure.

weedonald,

This is a daily blog and it appears that it is universally agreed that the performance at Norwich was shocking.If we debate and have different opinions amongst ourselves,that doesn’t make us better or worse supporters.

weedonald,

You’re right, of course, I feel suitably chastised for my constant whiny dooming.

However I would like to make a few points.
    Not one person has written off the entire season.
    Not one person used the word mediocre apart from yourself (and in double quotes).
    As for ‘no team should be underestimated’. I think we all agree on that one, hence the surprise that Arsene said, “Maybe we underrated the difficulty we would face”.
    Plastic fanboys in a hot kitchen is a bad combination.

127. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Morning all.

Dynamo Exile the big mover in the fantasy stakes.

Chas- a doomer? haha, now ive heard it all

128. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

GiE, Which ever game you decide to go and watch, be it Schalke or the Loftus lumps, can you please keep your parents in mind?

greatly appreciated 🙂

Peaches,
    Thank you for doing the toughest report of the season.

Still appears I’m the only one to give Arsene a bollocking.
    I find that amazing given his comment that we underestimated Norwich. Oh well, hey ho and all.
    I cannot wait for this Kelsey. Let’s get a little bit honest oh big haired man 🙂

VCC,
    You are a lucky man. As Evonne says, the best seats in the house.

132. evonne says:

Micky – not really, we all (EVEN GiE) said it was a dismal performance, no excusses and no positives in sight. That’s apart from weedonald who calld us the AA bloggers doomers, plastic fans, etc 🙂 Chas took it personally and so he should, doom and gloom merchant 🙂

Quite a gathering coming together for QPR. This season is not going well for me at all. One game to date, and no signs of my attendance record improving. Even Shalke is now out 😦

134. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Morning Micky, i think you will find that some others have agreed with you on the Wenger front.. Some bloke posted a comment recognising this at 11.27am, fifth paragraph down 😉

Evonne,
    I am the biggest doomer in the house right now, but I definately, and always will, call myself An Arsenal Supporter!

Ah ha, that’ll be you PPP 🙂
    Whatever any of us think right now, the vast majority on here have “supported” the team through far worse times than these.

137. Gooner In Exile says:

Weedonald reckon you may have copies that comment on to the wrong blog. None of us here expect to win every game, but we want to see a performance capable of winning on Saturday we didn’t. Hence we are all a little annoyed but moreover probably surprised.

Micky Arsene says “we” but I think he means “they”, that one has to be aimed at the players.

PPP I’m on their case.

As for FF Mata is captain, he scored me 30pts on his own.

Evonne,
    I was at a friends house for lunch yesterday. He, an English Sculptor, and his lovely Wife, a Pole. Her family escaped to Ireland just before WWII where she grew up. Her brother was there yesterday and through work spends 3-4 days a week in Poland. Very interesting chats we had, and lovely people.

139. Red Arse says:

Morning my Morning Lovelies, 🙂

Well, well I am dumbfounded that the gentle mannered folk on this site have been castigated by weedonald and richie.

Everyone deals with their disappointment in different ways, from the cascades of vicious comments on some other sites, to the demur expressions of shock on here, and now weedonald sees fit to condemn us all as whiny doomer losers.
    And this from someone who was given a warm welcome when he first came onto this site months ago!

God knows what richie is on about but it is so out of kilter with Kelsey’s reality it is not worth pursuing.

Get a grip weedonald, to paint everyone on here with the same tacky criticism shows a lack of tact and intelligence.

Chas @ 6:33 completely agree with you and your nice tongue in cheek irony. Now that is classy! 🙂

GiE,
    Some teams never do anything other than give 100%. Their managers instill that as a most basic requirement.
    I completely accept losing when playing well, and completely accept losing when playing badly, but losing through lack of effort… No.
    ps I am taking up your suggestion of pickling fruit to go with the smoked venison 🙂

141. evonne says:

Micky – of course they are lovely! Were they mad (eccentric) though 🙂

I won’t let you down,micky, just wait for the post 🙂 and thanks RA

143. Red Arse says:

GIE, 🙂

I agree that AW was talking ‘we’ to show solidarity with the team, he also said for example that we looked tired maybe from the internationals etc etc. [Not verbatim – but that was the gist].

He was clearly astonished and upset by the performance — what is wrong with fans feeling the same way? Eh? Weedonald?

144. evonne says:

Saturday defeat hurt us so much, because it was completely unexpected. I still think those were 3 points we should have bagged and in time we may miss them badly

Weedonald

Great rant, love the fighting spirit, bit harsh though.

146. Gooner In Exile says:

Can’t go worse than blackberries cob nuts and chicory with some smoked game at this time of year. Had a lovely pigeon dish the other day, autumn on a plate 🙂

147. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne those 3 points won’t matter, it’ll be the three on the last day of the season 🙂

I think I’d like to see a history of our 5:30 kick offs on Saturday, a nagging feeling that we habitually do badly in them?

Morning LB.

I would say when you say ” a bit harsh” that is putting it mildly or are you being polite ?

Morning Kelsey

If it was someone we didn’t know who came on here and wrote that I think I would be annoyed but Weedonald knows us and I read his rant to be as much a sign of frustration as we have shown in our own ways over the weekend.

Morning all

I hate the 5.30 kick-off’s (6.30 here), they ruin my evening and as GIE says, it feels as though we under-perform (though I have no proof of it).

As to fighting spirit: we are into ying and yang territory. I am happy that I can feel so depressed about a stupid, unnecessary defeat. I will be back on the horse and extolling the virtues of our team very soon, but for now I am enjoying feeling gutted.

You’re all being too polite to WeeDonald. Who the hell does he think he is? We are not guilty of any of his allegations, he has simply pigeonholed us probably due to what he’s been reading elsewhere.

I don’t give a damn what he thinks, we will continue to discuss any aspect of the Arsenal in a mature and sensible way and if he doesn’t like that .. tough!

Very good Arseblog today ….

Rasp. Now that is fighting spirit!

Morning raddy.

You are wrong about kick off times.

It is when we kick off left to right (as seen on the TV screen) that we win 72% of the time 😉

Raddy

Arseblog has knicked part of my post which i wrote last night. how did he get into our site 🙂 ?

Morning Raddy 😛

The one thing we’ve learned through blogging when things are not going well, is to avoid turning on one another or blaming someone else’s opinion for what happens on the pitch. I thought yesterday’s debate was very fair and balanced and didn’t detect any KJ reactions to the result.

It wasn’t me 🙂

158. evonne says:

Every time we get a bad result “an outsider” will come along and try patronizing us, by either dissing our team unnecessarily, or calling us doomers again unnecessarily. And then we take great pride to respond to that, unified in common self-rightousness 🙂 and love for AFC of course 🙂

159. haohaohaohtc says:

It looks like handover from the travelling. Noboby was running with energy. AW should have noticed that and picked up a few fresh legs. Truth is, our carling cup team might have pulled it off.

160. Red Arse says:

Well said, Rasp, and good morning! 🙂

If you look at my comment @ 7:47 a.m. I think I made my position clear!

As far as I am concerned it would be extremely boring if we all agreed all the time. I don’t like labels and I and all the regulars would never write posts saying that Wenger is a c*** or this or that player should f*** off (except irish 😉 ).

every blog has a hard core of support and one thing we do quite generously is always invite new posters in a cordial manner if they are cordial to us. I know Rasp and others have strong feelings about that.

162. VCC says:

Kelsey 8:50 ….good spot. Do you remember at Highbury we always tried to KO facing the clock end first half. This meant we attacked the North bank in the second ( which was arguably our most vociferous end).

163. Red Arse says:

Thanks Kelsey, I am quite fond of a blackcurrant cordial myself! 🙂

Rasp@8:40
    Now that’s what I call clarity, and Leadership 🙂

Morning RA, you are quite right, chas’ response was very classy compared to mine 😆

GiE,
    Wow and yum. Autumn is the best time of the year for quality grazing.

167. richie says:

Morning Kelsey its not that I’m all that new to the blog but I’ve been out of the loop somewhat recently, I’ve been boating without a satellite link so no net. Obviously I’m re-connected whenever I return to port but mostly its easier and quicker to enter directly into the port net-cafe, its a rigmarole choosing the settings etc. Its all I can do to enter whatever the current blog is never mind trawl through the previously held convictions. 🙂 so yes I missed you directing us “plebs” to the Rambler, you must like his posts as I do and its my guess you concure.
    P.S. I’ve got no idea why you lumped me off with weedonald?

We have a New Post from kelsey ……………….

No worries,richie. i just get the feeling that the both of you may not like part of my post, amongst others..I wear my heart on my sleeve 🙂

170. richie says:

Morning RA I don’t mind a bit of castigating but I can’t find where I did it? I own up to calling the many accountants we seem to have on this blog, number crunchers but I typed it in a very friendly manner 🙂 I was actually asking for an accountants opinion, not knowing he’d already given it. I’m often a day late and a dollar short. 🙂

171. weedonald says:

Rasp, Chas and all the other guardians of probity and defenders of civilized blogging….whether I am new here or have been begrudgingly invited into and accepted in the blog ¨family¨ is irrelevant to my post.
    Maybe I was harsh and maybe I have a different manner of expressing my disappointment and disillusion at what constituted a surrender against Norwich, but so what?
    One defeat and suddenly our season is in disarray or our chances of winning anything dissipated like a London fog? After the WestHam victory everyone was upbeat and enthused about our ¨potential¨, now everyone is down in the dumps (including me) BUT it is far from gloom and doom after one lackadaisical performance….and that was my point. Maybe if i has started my post with ¨Cheer up everyone¨ rather than the alternative, it might have gone over less controversially but to accuse me of being tacky in my criticism showing a lack of tact and intelligence is more than harsh and unjustified, it smacks of arrogance and superiority….because I maintained that there is hope and all this lamenting is a waste of time. Anyway, I have a nice post that reflects on what the Arsenal truly represents and I’ll send it on if there is interest.