Arsenal History Lesson

A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine came to see me in a distraught state. He was deeply worried that his 12 year old son was showing signs of coming out… as a Tottenham fan. The boy had showed no interest in following his dads hobby of Arsenal or football but now after starting big school he is was doing what all us parents fear, mixing with the wrong sorts, i.e. Tottenham fans. How could this happen? I don’t blame the kid, hes obviously troubled and hence mixing with the wrong crowd. I do blame my friend a bit, he should have been more forceful. But no, the real culprit is this countries educational system.

This got me thinking as to what should change. I believe proper education should start at about five when the kids are infants. I then wondered what if I was a teacher and addressing a class of five year olds, how would I approach it? Well it would be something like this.

I was greeted at the classroom gates by Ms Applegate, an attractive twenty something who would be sitting in whilst I gave the kids a good thrashing…err, I mean lesson . She greeted me warmly but overcome with excitement my first words to her were “Man, you smell good baby” She gave me a startled and worried look, but still led me into the classroom.

Hi kids my name is Terry, and I’m here to give you a history lesson. I usually get a cheer when I enter a room, but never mind, I forgive you. Right, to understand British history you must first understand Arsenal football club” (Ms Applegate looked shocked)

It all started in the 1920’s when a man who was very similar to Father Christmas, but better than him, called Sir Henry Norris, made the modern Arsenal. He was a great man. Before him there was no such thing as North London, so he invented it. He made Arsenal into a great football club, never taking reward for himself. Infact, he gave all his money to children and was loved and cherished throughout the world and beyond

Some people will say that he done some bad things with money but don’t believe them, he was very kind and gave all the children brilliant presents.

Now listen here kids sometimes bad people tell lies about good people. Some people will say that Sir Henry did some bad things but don’t believe them. For instance your parents might read in the local papers soon about how a man with the same name as me, looks exactly like me, and lives in the same house, has been caught swindling money from a local charity. This is very important to understand. It’s not me, just some poor man who has the same name and face and lives in my house”. (Applegate had her face in her hands)

Then Uncle Herbert came to Arsenal. Now Uncle Herbert was the cleverest man ever and some say he walked on water. In the 1930’s Arsenal won the world cup led by Uncle Herbert’s genius. He was such a genius that busts were mad of him all over the world. It is a fact that Her Majesty the Queen and Nelson Mandela have such busts of him in there house. So, Uncle Herbie is remembered as the greatest man that ever lived. The only thing that stopped Uncle Herbert from winning more World cups was that he passed on and became an Angel,

After Uncle Herbie, his son George Allison became leader. He took Arsenal to the Promised Land and won many more World Cups. He would have won more if it wasn’t for a very bad man called Hitler, who didn’t like football because everytime he saw a ball it reminded him that he wanted two balls. Besides, he was a season ticket holder at Tottenham.

Now, after the 1930’s, Arsenal became a force for all that is good in the world, but there were still some bad men who didn’t believe in Arsenal and would do horrible things. They are mostly called Tottenham fans. You can recognise these people because they are very ugly, have a tail, and sing silly songs about a man who is really a woman called Glenda Hoddle. You must never trust them. If a man ever asks if you want to go home with him and play with his Hornby Train Set or says that he has some very cute Rabbits living in his shed, don’t believe him, he is probably one of them”.

Then a little boy put his hand up.

Boy – “But my daddy likes Tottenham. He says they are a brilliant team in Black & White”

Terry – “What’s your name boy?”

Boy – “Timmy Jackson”

Terry – “Well Jackson, I knew there was something dodgy about you. Go and stand in that corner facing the wall. No use crying boy, you will thank me in the long run, I’m saving you from a life of Rabbits”.

All the other kids were looking bewildered, but I quickly put their minds at ease

So you see children, that’s what happens if you’re naughty like Jackson. If you do not follow the path of the Mighty Arsenal, you will have to watch endless replays of Jimmy Greaves and your memories of Hornby Train Sets will not be good.

At this point a couple of other kids were close to tears themselves from Jackson’s sobbing and I could hear groans of when can we play, or I want my mummy. Then Applegate intervened.

“Look Mr Mancini, this whole thing is totally inappropriate and I must ask you to stop now”

I wasn’t having that. These kids needed my help.

Leave it out love, these kids need a proper education not the drivel you teach them. After the lesson I will give you a nice massage and you will probably fall in love with me. Now be a dear and go and make us a nice cup of tea.

She looked shocked (no idea why) and stormed out, so I continued the lesson.

So kids, now I want to tell you about Father Arsene. He came to Arsenal in the nineties and everyone soon realised that he was the kindest, most generous and greatest manager since Uncle Herbie. He won lots of nice prizes, and gave them out to all the good children in the world. But not to little runts like Jackson over there. Father Arsene invented the term good football. Before him everyone just kicked the ball as hard as they could and beat each other up chasing it.

Now children, I want you all to stand up and sing this song. Just repeat what I say and remember to sing it every morning when you wake up. If your good and sing this every day you will get many nice prizes from Father Arsene

Good old Arsenal, were proud to say that name. Whilst we sing this song we will the game, while we win this song we will the game

Now to finish off kids, we will sing a song about how Tottenham went to see the pope

Just at this point I saw Applegate approaching with two rather large men, and there was no massage oils or tea tray.

Alright kids, ive just got to climb out of this window. Remember to sing your Arsenal song every morning.

So that’s what I think should happen to convert all undecided to the Mighty Arsenal. Whats your solution?

God Bless

Terry M

150 Responses to Arsenal History Lesson

1. paxton road says:

As a spurs fan i think its very inaccurate but funny !

2. Red Arse says:

Terry,

You had me hooked from the outset with that absorbing tale! 🙂

You have clearly got a latent talent for spinning yarns, probably learnt while playing with your telescope.

There seems to be a dichotomy at play here as you alternate between being an engagingly amusing Arsenal leg end and a loony tune 🙂 🙂

The first intimation of that tendency emerged when you said to the startled Ms Applegate “Man, you smell good”. Now was that a clue?
    is she as you first imply a female, feminine person, or is she a man?

Perhaps Ms Applegate is a transvestite? Before we condemn you ……… sorry ——– judge your epic, we need to know!! 🙂

Terry M,
    That is brilliant. “Invented North London”. ROLFING my holey socks off 🙂
    Can you do a Vicar next friday?

4. TotalArsenal says:

Haha Terry, I didn’t know you had such good fictional writing skills. 🙂

You are touching on a serious problem for any Gooner though: a sibling who supports the enemy team. It must be very hard to not feel deeply betrayed if and when that happens.

A friend of mine have a son who from one day to the next declared he was now supporting MU and no longer Arsenal. He and his wife are huge Arsenal supports and both have a season ticket, and they had taken their son to many games, so you can imagine how shocked they were.

My mate laughed it away but his wife went totally mad. She stormed up the stairs towards her son’s bedroom and ripped all the Arsenal posters of the wall, then came back down again and told him to support who he wants but that he is never to say the words Manchester United in her house again. She cold-shouldered him after that for days and eventually he gave in. Now that is proper parenting! 😛

5. Red Arse says:

TA,

Proper parenting? That is proper bonkers!! 🙂

6. TotalArsenal says:

So true RA 🙂

My mate said he had never seen his wife like that. Now he knows what it means to have DNArsenal in one’s blood. 🙂

I met my first wife at Highbury,Terry (an Arsenal nutcase or as i learned later just a nutcase) and that resulted in a quick romance and a very short marriage, and i mean short = 4 months but it produced a son. Out of spite when he grew up he started supporting Spurs and now nearly 40 year on I still remind him of the black and white days when Spurs slipped up and won the league some 51 years ago. true story.

Of course all my other kids from my second marriage are all prim and proper people and support the gunners

8. TotalArsenal says:

Kelsey: ‘Prim and proper people’ 😛

9. This is true… both of my brother’s kids (Nicola and Andrew, now grown) are Spurs fans. I tried to teach them the error of their ways, promising to take them sometimes to Highbury, but to no avail.
    Their mum and dad (my brother and his wife) are both Man Utd fans incidently.
    Funny thing, having read Terry M’s post, is that Nicola became a teacher, still is, teaching the little ones, five years and up.

10. Eustace says:

Yeah Mr. Terry, that wz quite cute… My uncle has a little boy of abt 4yrs, each tym he kicks the ball he shouts ARSENAL !!! His dad datz my uncle is an Arsenal fan infact almost all of us expect 4 some stupid ones dat support MAN U . But my little boy has this problem of vry player been MESSI each time he is watching football 4rm the TV . And i keep telling him dat Messi is fake he only plays football my luck….infact i told him 2 stop mentioning Messi coz he plays football wit juju, but rather he should call names lky Van presie wit some good reasons i gave him and moreover he plays the Arsenal Way.Now Rvp is gone and he keeps calling vry player that name, i don’t know wat again to tell him in order for him to stop .

11. Taryur says:

9c write up man! M luvin it

TMHT. Superb. It reads like a film score! And like others I was laughing from the outset.

Mrs Raddy teaches 5 year olds and I have printed the post out so she can read it to the kids.

Thanks for enhancing my day

13. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Mr Raddy, Mrs Total also teaches 5 year olds! 🙂

Fine women those teachers of 5 year old’s!

15. TotalArsenal says:

Sorry big All, just read your daughter teaches the little ones as well. What a coincidence, but you should not have told Terry this…. He will be after her now!!! 😛

Gibbs and Coquelin and of course Szsney all out tomorrow.
    next 2 EPL games against the current bottom two sides.no slip ups as in previous seasons,6 points a must..

Thanks for all the comments guys. Cant realy respond properly at the moment coz ive just got home from gum surgery and all my false teeth been replaced with new false teeth. Realy drugged up too, so not even sure about what ime talking about, or even if ime talking, if that makes sense.

18. TotalArsenal says:

Ouch Terry, take it easy mate! 😥

Thanks TA. Have just checked them in the mirror and thy look great. I look at least 20 years younger, could pass for fifty easy….and ime 46. hahaha

20. evonne says:

Terry – Chas told me yesterday that I am barking mad. I’m sure you’d disagree, cos you and i are very likeminded people 🙂 Very, very funny post 🙂

21. 124toeknee says:

That Ms. Applegate has a problem.

Thanks evonne. Nothing wrong with a bit of barking, every one should try it. hahaha.

23. Mike says:

There is not the same as their. Sorry to nitpick, but Really?

Mike
    Capital letters Are not Normally meant to Pop up randomly in the Middle of a sentence.
    Don’t mean to nitpick, but really?

Terry
    Top, top ROLFing!
    Best piece of comedy writing ever on AA. I’m still laughing now.
    So many brilliant lines.
    Well played Sir.

26. Red Arse says:

Terry,

I feel for you with your toothy problem, but I seem to remember you saying you wanted to get your gums around her plums? This just seems to be a bit extreme!

You are a brave man, and funny man — and a true Gooner! 🙂

27. evonne says:

Terry 🙂

I am too lazy to read all the comments and Rocky was too busy to summarise for me, so apologies if the matter has already been discussed.

Terry’s post was hillarious, but I found Barca’s recent complaints even more hillarious 🙂 They are not happy with Shitty stalking one of Barca’s players 🙂 ha ha ha ha ooooohhh ha ha ha !! How dare they??

I still find it difficult to comprehend the fact that both Messi and pretty Shrek are not at Shitty or the Bridge. Matter of time, probably

28. richie says:

What a nightmare! I mean it would be totally unacceptable if your own flesh & blood didn’t follow the family tradition and wanted to support the oily money teams or SAF’s mob or even the pool, but you’d just know your job wasn’t done properly as a parent if your own progeny decided to follow the swamp dwellers. I mean you’d spend the rest of your life, wondering where did I go wrong? Did the childs mother go for a mud bath when pregnant? Where was the child begotten? Can a woman really become pregnant through anal sex? Did we overly potty train? I mean the list of possibilities is endless. Still a solution would have to be found! It might be the ultimate solution, but I think infanticide shouldn’t be overlooked too quickly. 🙂

29. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

When you get a minute could you summarise Evonne for me? 🙂

30. richie says:

@TA&Raddy this is all news to me I mean I’ve only got the 4 kids – I had no idea 5 year old could be taught, I just thought you had to learn cope with them. 🙂 🙂 🙂

31. evonne says:

I am making some long term plans and all was well until I stumbled on 3rd November. Can’t believe that R$P is not injured yet

32. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Richie 🙂

Are you finally in the land of Fish and Chips again, or still floating on the Mediterranean, trying to seduce the local brunettes? 😛

You would be amazed to see what five year olds get taught, but you are spot on; there are days when a teacher is, similar to you, simply trying to stay afloat in a sea of children’s chaos.

Brilliant, Terry.

Top ROLFing. (capital letters deliberate, Mike)

My old man didn’t used to speak to anyone on a Saturday evening if we’d lost. Why I thought that would be good behaviour to copy, heaven only knows, but I’m still eternally grateful to him. 🙂

Evonne, you told me and the rest of the world that you were barking mad so please don’t be offended if I agree with you every now and again. Woof, woof. 🙂

34. 124toeknee says:

Comments have dried up. Perhaps you are all Applegates in disguise. Ha ha ha.

This photo made me smile.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere

I love Eustace’s comment at 12:14.
    Messi ‘plays football wit juju’. 🙂

Jack’s in the squad to play Naarich.
    Arsene Wenger and Jack Wilshere

Evonne
    Redders offered to summarize 26’s long missive for me, so that I could forward it to you. Unfortunately Redders’ summary was twice as long as 26’s original and included not one but two poems.
    I now need someone to summarise Redders’ summary for me.
    Any takers?
    Weedonald?
    Rhyle?

39. evonne says:

who’s offended?? I am proud. You also told me that it is not a measure of sound mental health, fitting well into a sick society…something like that

Ox’s smile is so gorgeous, genuine, wholesome, infectious. Lovely, lovely kid

Rocky, sorry but you let me down. Now I have no idea what was being said yesterday

Afternoon all, thanks TMHT for a titillating Friday – we may have to make this your regular weekly spot 😛

The problem with Friday is that it is not Saturday so we need something uplifting to see us through to game time.

As far as football education is concerned, I think we should start in the womb – actually pre-womb. The answer is simple, only gooners should be allowed to participate in horizontal recreation, totnum fans will have to stick with their preferred pastime of solo manual amusement 😆

Ok Evonne. Just for you, a summary of yesterday:
    Most people would like to stand but not drink.
    Some want to drink but not stand.
    Some want to stand and drink.
    Some are indifferent.
    Some care about others’ indifference.
    Others are indifferent to the indifference.
    Hillsborough was bad.
    Dortmund is good.
    Terry has a telescope.

42. evonne says:

thanks Rocky. So nobody wanted to sit sober? That’s weird

43. 1967ers says:

As a sports history fan, I saw the title of this piece and was sure it would be awesome. It was, just not for the reasons I expected. 🙂

I’ve never been in a standing crowd for anything. The standing areas in a hockey rink are up in the rafters and the experience of freezing up there for three hours really can’t be explained adequately without profanity.

The only other sites where one would stand are the sorts of places where they don’t expect spectators that aren’t related to one or more of the players.

Rasp. “only gooners should be allowed to participate in horizontal recreation, totnum fans will have to stick with their preferred pastime of solo manual amusement”

Well said. Should be the 11th Commandment 🙂

1967. I grew up going to Arsenal and standing, it was a depressing day when we were forced to sit, though I fully understand why. I always thought that when my knees got wobbly then I would move to the East Upper with the rest of the veterans – it wasn’t to be. But the experience of being in the North Bank when the smoke rose, the voices swelled and the fans swayed is one I will never forget.

GIE. I wasn’t around yesterday to join in the excellent discussion. it was an epic post as were some of the responses. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I thought some of you might find it funny. Though i was been deadly serious. hahaha.

Rasp, hahahaha, i wish i thought of that, could have gone in the article.

Here is my Arsenal Family Tree.
    Both of my Grandfathers.
    My Father and 14 Uncles.
    (another 4 uncles turned the wrong way on Seven Sisters)
    Several Aunts.
    My Mother.
    My Brother.
    My Brother in law.
    My Sister.
    My Nephew.
    My Son.
    My Grandson.
    50 plus cousins.
    I have no idea how many second cousins but in our blood line there are around a 100 of us Gooners.

Next year will be my family’s 100th year of supporting the Arsenal, my maternal Grandfather watched the 1st game at Highbury in 1913.

There is however an outcast in the family – it’s my Wife – you see she’s a Liverpudlian but fortunately does not like football and tolerates the fact that I will not miss an Arsenal game for ANY reason.

48. Neamman says:

My old man was a spuds fan and disappointed when I chose Arsenal
    . Why I did I dont know, maybe to be competative and I always hated white. Given it was the years just before the spuds double it was a very intelligent decision for a 7 yr old I think!!
    Luckily my old man was more easy going and we ended up going to both grounds on a regular basis. Me to always cheer on whoever was playing spurs. I guess I was a brat!! hahaha

49. glic says:

Brilliant , best post ever, by the funniest AAer !. Luv it !.

Cornwall, ime not having that. Your just trying to butter me up, your the funny king. Looking forward to your article on Kronke. hahaha

Neamann. My father was a Spurs fan and so are many of my family. I lived equidistant from WHL & THOF and have to thank Frank Villiers for leading me to the Arsenal because like you it was the years of Spurs dominance and I may well have join the Darkside

52. Son Of Steptoe says:

My old man’s a dustman, he wears a dustman’s hat!
    He wears rather nice Chinos and he is a Gooner.

And that’s enough of that.

DidIt’s don’t like football. Mind you, they don’t like anything, including each other. Dreadful shower the lot of them.

Jack is in the squad eh? Now that is very good news.

I second Rasp’s suggestion for a Transplant Friday. 🙂

I third it! 🙂

Evening Rocky,
    Although the gap between ourselves and the very top would remain the same (after our win) I am definately rooting for a Chelsea win. The natural order between ourselves and “that lot” needs to return to its rightful setting.

Yip, just checked, we can ease ourselves into fourth spot.

59. 1967ers says:

Raddy – just funny how traditions come to be. One thing that seems evident is that they put the standing areas where one could actually see what was going on. That’s a major difference right there.

60. 1967ers says:

Oh – and the epic march to the World Cup ended with an 8-1 thrashing at the hands(/feet) of Honduras, the loss of the head coach and a men’s program back in disarray. Ye gads.

61. Gooner In Exile says:

Terry a much needed lift to a Friday night.

The Gooner education has started early for the bump. Oh to be a Gooner sung on a daily basis. I have saved Liverpool 0 – Arsenal 2 on Sky Plus for once a day viewing from birth.

The only thing I need to do is keep the carrot cruncher in laws and yellow and green clothes from the door. 😀

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks Raddy

63. 1967ers says:

Dumb question of the day – is only one assist permitted per goal? Are there specific criteria as to what constitutes an assist or is it simply the second-last player to touch the ball (assuming an opposing player didn’t have it in the interim)?

Micky
    @6.53
    My sentiments exactement!

Well Terry, having false teeth removed for new ones and I presume a new toupee with beads ;)Every womans dream.

Off topi; what does the 4th official actually do apart from listening to managers ranting at him.

67. Hi 1967ers – that is a very good question and I know that there has been a lot of discussion about who the assister is. The safest thing I can say is that it’s the last player to touch the ball before the one that scores the goal gets the assist.

I think 😳

68. kelsey – he also has to make sure the kettle is on before half-time 😳

69. A lot of you already know how I became a gooner but I’m going to tell my story anyway ……………….

My family moved from Riversdale Rd to the suburbs in 1942, I was hardly old enough to go to school but they sent me anyway and there I met a very sweet small boy who was to look after me as I was new. On my 2nd day he asked me what football team I supported and offered me Arsenal or the other lot, I knew my uncle supported the other lot and decided to be a rebel and chose Arsenal. My dad wasn’t into football and so although I was born spitting distance from Highbury I didn’t know.

When I told my mum she insisted I should find out why it was important to him and so the next day I asked him why I was right to choose Arsenal. He told me proudly that his dad was the captain, the small boy was called Stephen and his dad was Dennis Evans.

We went to school together for the next 10 years and then lost touch but being the witch that I am I conjured him up after 35 years and gave him a great big kiss for insisting that I was a Gooner.

Cheers Steve 🙂

70. Too many legs ………. I’d better get on with the dinner ……

So excited, there’s football tomorrow

Peaches, that’s just beautiful.

1967ers,
    Your story about freezing in the rafters made me think of Highbury.

The North Bank when it was standing only often sang, ‘ It’s f*ckin hot in here’

Peaches
    What a lovely story.

I’ve told mine before (it’s nowhere near as good as yours) but here it is again:

My parents were Dubliners who had met and married in London. When I was about 7 or 8 my Dad had a soft spot for Man Utd because he liked George Best, but he didn’t really support a team as such.

We lived south of river in Charlton and my Dad used to take me to watch Charlton Athletic from time to time (back in the days when that old ground could hold 70,000, even though I never saw more than 30,000 there). So I suppose I should be a Charlton fan. But we also used to do all our shopping in Woolwich on a Saturday – we would get the overground train from Charlton to Woolwich Arsenal Station.

For some reason I loved the name Woolwich Arsenal.

Then I got given a football annual (I was 10 at the time). It had a page about each of the (then) First Division teams, with a big picture of one player and a smaller team shot. I must have read that book 500 times (it had lots of stuff like the name of each club’s ground, what their nickname was etc). But no matter how many times I scanned though it, I always came back to the Arsenal page.

It may have been the name connection with Woolwich Arsenal, but it was also that the kit was so utterly superb. Beautiful red shirts with pure white sleeves. Better than any other kit in the book. I probably liked the nickname, too!

I just became an Arsenal fan from then on. At one point I did think they actually still played in Woolwich, but even when my Dad pointed out that they had moved quite a long time ago I was not daunted.

It was good timing, too. I started supporting the Good Guys in 1970 😀

So… there you have it – I was the first in my family. But now both my sons are ardent Gooners and their weekends are brilliant or crap depending on our result, just like mine 😳

Dennis Evans

Rocky,
    That’s beautiful, too.

I’m envious of both of you in a way.
    For you both to have made the choice!

Chas
    That video just made me a bit tearful.

Dennis, I loved that place. The North Bank and then, for the last 10 years or so, the Upper East.

We have built a fantastic new stadium, but Highbury is in my heart and always will be.

Rocky,

Your parents were The Dubliners, cue Chas 🙂

Chas
    We lived in Highbury when my eldest son was born, so he is especially proud of having been born in the Arsenal manor, as it were.

Haha Kelsey
    They were indeed – and I grew up listening to The Dubliners! I know the words to practically all their songs.

Chas
    If you’re going to oblige, can I officially request “McAlpine’s Fusiliers”?

Haha, you’ve got me listening to the Dubliners now. 🙂

This is, apparently, an older version of the song.

One more….

Dammit Chas
    You’ve just made me tearful again: hearing the Dubliners always makes he think of me dear old departed Dad.

83. 1967ers says:

Re: passing the torch along, I took three of the kids to meet our 88-year-old former goaltender as he signed autographs at the local doughnut shop: http://wp.me/p1bvRx-ew (apologies if spamming is verboten). Thought it was a nice story.

1967
    Totally respect that.
    I would go along to see any old Arsenal legend. Not that you get many here in Toronto, of course…

85. 1967ers says:

Any old legend could probably start for Toronto FC…. 🙂

1967,
    88 year old former goaltender! Wow.

Rocky,
    I lived at Canonbury Place, Islington aged 6 months until 2 and a half years old.
    I know it’s not spelt the same as cannon, but it certainly is Arsenal territory. Must have been seeping into my blood even then. 🙂

’67
    😀

Did you watch the Canada game in Honduras?

88. 1967ers says:

chas – the man is fantastic. It’s also remarkable that he’s this well-recognized when nobody under the age of 50 will have more than a vague memory of him playing.

89. 1967ers says:

RockyLives – it was a 4pm start local time, so as I was heading home there were updates on the radio. By the time I got to the door, it was 6-0. I didn’t think there was much left to see after that. Thank goodness the women’s team is good. 🙂

’67
    I went to the RealSports bar at the ACC to watch the England-Poland game (which got rained off). Watched the Canada game instead. It was a bit embarrassing, really.

91. 1967ers says:

Given that they can’t score, I’d have probably been switching channels at 2-0. Certainly at 3-0. The program will certainly be looking at a revamp.

92. 1967ers says:

There are so many people in this country that play the sport, but a lot of the top-end athletes end up playing something else, I would expect primarily due to the possibility of money. When there is a high-calibre player born here (see Hargreaves, Owen), things get loused up and he ends up playing for someone else.

The whole program needs review.

Agreed ’67.

F*ckin hell.

chas. Love the early Highbury vid, some great pics and the Clock End one was taken from the next block to where I sat (right behind the goal) Happy Days.

Sad to see some Leeds fans continue to be total twats.

96. richie says:

@TA from 3:49 I’m not into Brunettes, mostly too pale for me 🙂
    I’m on solid ground in my beloved Highbury but I’ve got to return to move the boat because the mooring runs out before1st of Nov. If I can find a cheap mooring on the net I’ll only sail to the winter bolt hole, I’ll be land locked until next April. Before I fly off to winter up the old girl I’ll try to conjure up a little provocation. How are you seeing us? I’m liking the balance of the team far more, with a few tweeks we might even throw a challenge in. Chelski look to be pace setting so they are the challenge. We shouldn’t have lost to them, but we need better defending than that.

Richie
    We are looking a more balanced team than we’ve been in years.

Chavs are definitely the pace setters as you say. Although we shouldn’t have conceded against them the way we did I thought they looked very strong.

ManUre are going to be interesting. They won’t relish playing the Orcs in their first game after losing at home to the Spuds.

In the spirit of Terry’s Post, here’s a joke some of you may have heard before, but what the heck…

A new teacher at a primary school in Liverpool is addressing her class of five-year-olds. She tells them she’s a Liverpool supporter and asks them to put up their hand if they are too.

All the children put up their hands except for one little girl.

“Mary,” asks the teacher, “why didn’t you put up your hand?”

“Because I’m not a Liverpool supporter Miss.”

The teacher looks surprised. After all, the school is just round the corner from Anfield stadium.

“Well if you don’t support Liverpool, who do you support,” she asks, in an annoyed tone.

“I support Arsenal, Miss.”

“Do you Mary? And why is that?”

“Well Miss, my Mum and Dad are both Arsenal supporters, so is my brother and so is my grandad, Gn5.”

The teacher is even more annoyed now. “That’s not a good reason at all, Mary,” she says. “You don’t need to do things just because your parents do them. What if your mum was a prostitute and your dad was a drug dealer – what would you be then?”

“Well Miss,” says Mary with a smile, “then I’d be a Liverpool supporter.”

99. 1967ers says:

chas – that montage is amazing! Never seen crowds like that.

Rocky – love the joke.

Biggest Oh Bless story of the day goes to Peaches. Some great stories, comments, vids last night.
    Damn, its good to have been born so lucky.

Chas,
    We all chose to be Gunners.

Morning, Micky.
    I feel as though I was born into Gunnerdom.
    I may have chosen to actively follow the path of righteousness as I grew up but, not for one second, could there ever have been another path.

I am pondering whether or not to dedicate the entire day to watching football care of onlinefooty. 12:45 watch Spuds getting beaten, some game hopping at 15:00, then, ahhh sigh….17:30 🙂
    GiE,
    What is the “going” likely to be Norfolk way? Firm and fast under foot I hope.

Chas,
    I grew up in the sticks, and none of my mates or brothers were into football. I was dithering over which club to dedicate myself to when my father took me to an eveing game, Arsenal Leeds, and from the moment I stepped out in the East Stand minutes before KO, heard the crowd and saw the Stadium open up in front of me with that emerald green surface under the lighs, that was it.

Chas,
    The Good Lord smileth upon thee. “Path of Righteousness” 🙂

Thank Dennis you didn’t choose Leeds. 🙂

Chas,
    The reality is that anything could have happened had my father not done his National Service in The Royal Artillery (aka The Gunners).

Chary,
    I want words with you if you are out there. While in London last week, our Red Membership packs arrived. Keyring….yes, Leatherette Card Holder….no.

Cracking stuff.
    No wonder you prefer Gunners to Gooners.
    ……….and suggested cannons at the four corners of the ground. 🙂

I’m off to exercise before the day’s exertions of sitting in a chair for 7 hours straight.

I will do my version of exercise this morning. Get out the chainsaws and chop firewood.

Have a good morning. Later.

Micky. Now that is far more productive than running on a treadmill or sitting in a machine lifting weights. My stepson does something called spinning. I thought it was a type of knitting but no, it involves cycling a stationery bicycle very very hard; one can’t say fast because that would involve movement.

My point? Why isn’t he out on a field chasing a football. This is a serious problem – he genuinely thinks he gets better exercise in a gym!

This is another example of the Me generation because it has nothing to do with being social, working as a team and being competitive. Post gym, he has a shower and goes home or to work. Post game, one has a shower and then goes to the pub with your team-mates.

At his age I was on Hackney Marshes making sure I avoided the dogs shit.

Morning Rant over

113. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky the going is crisp this morning, we had a constant drizzle yesterday so hopefully the pitch will be slick, will depend on the sun today, but by 5:30 reckon temperature will have dropped a bit and moisture in ground will make pitch zippy.

I think I have my card holder from last year Micky (I don’t use it as mine go in the Oyster Card holder) if you’d like one I’ll try and dig it out.

Also if there is anyone with youngsters who want the Photo postcards I’ll happily send them on (altho I’m keeping the one of the bench celebrating the goal against the Spuds). I just love Jenkinson and Ox in that picture, and of course Pat Rice arms aloft. All three celebrating like fans.

114. Gooner In Exile says:

Just seen the footage from Sheffield Wed v Leeds.

Disgraceful…..but proves that seated or standing the nutters can still get on the pitch and behave like tossers.

Well played to Neil Warnock who wen asked what should happen said “he should go to prison”.

115. evonne says:

I am disturbed by Rocky’s “For some reason I loved the name Woolwich Arsenal”. What do you mean “for some reason” Rocky??!!

Well, mine was a totally rational, unbiased, concious decision to support the Arsenal. I always believed in quality and seldom settle for second best. Never looked back

I am ready for a Raddy

evonne. Thanks for the offer but Mrs Raddy might be upset .

Proof that it is not always Arsenal who get shafted by a player and his agents ….

Thank Dennis for that, football at last. I feel like a withering plant that someone has finally poured a drop of water on.

Peaches

That is the first time I have heared that very touching story, well done Steve.

For a man of average footballing talent I think it is fair to say that Flamini has made the most of it.

120. evonne says:

Raddy 🙂 you just leave Mrs Raddy alone (for now) and concentrate on the Prematch, please

I’m ready for a Raddy…………ROLF.

122. evonne says:

LB – really? I thought he was good and more than good while playing for us (especially his ‘transfer’ season). I still blame him and Hleb for our long dry spell. Had they stayed, we would have won something the following season

Evonne

There were always two schools of thought about Flamini’s ability.

I have just realised, there is a very real possibilty of seeing Jack play this afternoon.

With Diaby, Rosicky and Coquelin injured, the midfield will be made up of Arteta, Cazorla and Ramsey but if one of those gets injured then Wenger will have no choice but to use Jack. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Frimpong on he bench as well.

125. evonne says:

Wenger said the other day that our Jack is 80% fit, so perhaps last 10?

126. VCC says:

If we have a two goal cushion with ten minutes to go then use JW. Ease him back gently.

127. Gooner In Exile says:

Jacks Agent has said on twitter that he travels with the first team squad.

I can see him getting game time if the jobs done early. Otherwise I think Wednesday is more likely for the first appearance.

128. Gooner In Exile says:

Flamini’s style suited the PL more than Serie A in my humble opinion. That tells you more about the PL than the player.

129. VCC says:

I always liked Flamini playing for us.

Always?

He was less than average for the first few seasons. He saved the day a few times at left back and then had his two goldern seasons before leaving.

Now again, not that often, you get one of them days when your head says that you should want Totnumb to win. Today is one of them days.

But i cant, i just cant do it. Ive tried, believe me ive tried. Chelsea need to be stopped, we will finish above them anyway etc etc. But no, i am almost there and then of all a sudden something inside me says get a grip you fool. Let them burn and if nessesary we burn together. I want them to lose 5-0 and the ecstatic glee of this thought excites me. I will laugh manicly and hug a stranger, hopefuly the stranger will be a Totnumb fan, and then i will laugh until i split.

Saying that, if they win it will be a good result for us. hahaha

Back in for some protein. 5 bacon and three eggs should do it.
    Blue skies, chainsaws working perfectly, pigs happy,The Raddy on its way and Totnum losing before the inevitable Arsenal win.
    Damn its good to be alive.
    Am I the only one who thought Hleb was massively overrated?

Terry,
    Circumstances need to be at Station Extreme to want a totnum win, and today is not one of those days. We win, they lose, we overtake them and the gap to chavs remains the same. We’ll deal with chavs later.

Micky, Hleb lacked end product. i always thought he would be the world best 5 a side player.

Thats about 3000 calories aint it Micky. If i was you i would add a fried tomato to make it perfectly healthy. hahaha

Micky. No you are not. I thought Hleb was a distraction from the art of putting the ball in the net.

I agree that Flamini was better suited to the pace of the PL. My problem with his leaving was that had the Flamster said so earlier then DolphinHead would have stayed. Not that he was the answer but we could have made an extra few quid when selling him.

Spot on Micky. Your perfect reasoning has calmed down my mania, no need to want Totnumb to win at all. Infact, now i see it, dont care about there result, we will finish above both of them.

Its the cereals that need to be avoided. They slow you down!
    Just to please you, I’ll wink at the fruit bowl as I pass

Raddy, the thing about Flamini for me was that he bought an aggression and desire that was desperatly needed at that point of time. In his final season i personaly thought he became our most important player simply because of the balance he bought to the side.

Raddy,
    Wasn’t Hleb lonely in London? I mean for fucks sake, how can you be lonely in London.

Terry,
    A 5-0 drubbing is a seriously good idea. Don’t think of it in terms of a Chav win, only a spud loss and all will be very well.

9:30 on the dot pretty please. Calories firmly on board, just the coffee to absorb.

Micky, an Arsenal win makes the weekend, and a Totnumb loss adds iceing to the cake. This weekend is no different.

Terry,
    We are perfectly in tune 🙂
    Can someone wake Peaches up!

Sod it…. I’ll do it

New Post

145. Well done, sorry Rasp and I were chatting about Jason Roberts and forgot the time ………….. I’ll turn the page then xx

146. HAIR TRANSPLANT IN DELHI

Sushma Plastic And Cosmetic Surgery Clinic – We offer successful solutions of HAIR TRANSPLANT IN DELHI, LOW COST HAIT TRANSPLANT, HAIR TRANSPLANT, FOR HAIR LOSS, HAIR CARE DELHI, cosmetic and plastic surgery delhi, cosmetic and plastic surgery delhi in India, Low Cost Hair Transplant in India, Low Cost Hair Transplant in India, Hair transplantation is an outpatient procedure done under local anesthesia. A strip of hair from the back is
    surgically harvested above the galea aponeurotica ( since breach in galea may lead to pain in back of scalp) and then Follicular units are extracted from this strip and transferred to the desired area. Postoperative overnight bandage is used.