The Calm Hand of Silent Stan

So how are you feeling about our summer so far?

I think it’s probably fair to say that most Gooners are approaching Saturday’s season opener with a mix of anticipation and expectation.

Or, to put it another way, excitement tempered by a nagging concern (like the way you might feel if your most reckless friend invited you for a spin on the back of his new motorbike).

The over-riding sense of optimism is largely down to the way the club has handled its transfer business this summer:

Experienced international attackers Podolski and Giroud signed up early doors; one of the best creative midfielders in world football wrapped up within the last week; and (at the time of writing) an apparent willingness to play hardball in our latest want-away-Captain saga.

After last summer’s transfer window debacle there were plenty of people willing to point the finger at the manager, the owner, the CEO and the Board.

So, if you agree that things have been handled well this year, it’s only fair to give credit to those who have made it possible.

Obviously Arsène Wenger deserves a decent slice of the credit cake, as (probably) does the much-maligned Dick Laws who handles the fine detail of our in-and-out business.

As a point of order, NONE of the credit goes to those Wenger-hating blogs that are trying to suggest that their criticisms have forced a change of policy at the club. That’s like the pebble thinking it made the sea retreat when the tide turned.

But the man who may well deserve to take home the rest of the cake (and eat it) is our very own non-speaking American.

Last summer was Stan Kroenke’s first close-season transfer window after assuming majority control of the club. My pet theory is that he believed Arsène when Le Boss told him he would be able to keep hold of either or both of Fabregas and Nasri.

He gave Arsène his head – only to find it covered in egg as Cesc left after taking acid (DeoxyriboNucleic Acid to be precise) and Nasri, like the evil gnome he is, ran off with an empty wheelbarrow hoping to fill it with banknotes.

It’s fair to assume that, in his first summer in charge, Kroenke did not have a full handle on how the “soccer” transfer window works. It operates very differently to the way in which transfers are done in most North American sports.

But Stan is a quick learner and I have no doubt he entered the 2012 window fully prepared to make a success of it (and to not repeat the mistakes of 2011).

So when Arsène said to him “I am convinced I can persuade van Persie to extend his contract” Stan will have said something like “don’t p*ss on my boots and tell me it’s raining.”

Well, alright, he might actually have said: “I hear you Arsene, but let’s play it safe this time round and act as if he IS going to leave. That way the sumabitch can’t put us over a barrel and make us squeal like little piggies.”

(One of the nice things about having a silent American owner is that you can have a lot of fun imagining how he talks).

Anyway, I’m sure he personally gave Arsène the go-ahead to spend money on the quality players he has signed this summer.

Of course it also helps that this is the first year in which our financial position is finally allowing us to spend money. Up until now the debt burden caused by the stadium move and the economic slump has severely restricted our clout in the market.

We have made a net profit in the transfer market every season since the stadium move while also qualifying for the Champions League every year – an achievement by Arsène that probably even eclipses his two Doubles, even though it will never be generally recognised as such. And he didn’t balance the books because he’s tight fisted, or obsessed with youth or obeying the cruel orders of an over-weening Board of Directors. He did it because it was economically essential for the Club to behave in that way.

Now, with the renegotiation of our major commercial deals on the horizon and our debt the lowest it has been for six years, we are finally able to be net spenders rather than net savers.

The icing on the cake is that UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations seem also to be having some impact on the moneybags clubs, with Manchester City, in particular, finding it a problem to bring in new players when no-one wants to take their vastly over-paid cast-offs. If it wasn’t for the threat of FFP, I have no doubt that City’s Arabs would just sign off on another couple of hundred million quid and buy whomever the manager wanted.

But back to Silent Stan. (By the way, isn’t it funny how the Glazers – who are also seldom heard talking about Manchester United in public – are never referred to as the “Gob-shy Glazers.”  Nor is Man City’s Arab owner, who generally keeps his own counsel, ever described as “Miming Mansour”?).

But if you look at his custodianship of his North American sporting enterprises, you will see that Kroenke is an involved and committed owner who gives them financial stability and every opportunity for sporting success.

I, for one, am delighted that he is in charge of affairs at Arsenal. I think he deserves the lion’s share of the praise for the good things that have happened this summer and I suspect him to get even better as the years go by and he learns the system more and more.

I can’t bear the lazy comments about how he’s only in it to make money on the club. Of course he’s in it to make money – he’s a financial investor. But how do you think he can best make money on his investment? By penny-pinching his way to mid-table mediocrity? Or by putting Arsenal right back at the top of European football?

You don’t have to be Bertie Einstein to figure that one out.

Stan wants Arsenal to be winning titles and Champions Leagues just as much as we do – because then the value of his investment will grow exponentially.

So let’s hear it for the mild-mannered American who is now firmly at the tiller of our great club…

Silent Stan – whisper it, but you’re my man.

RockyLives

177 Responses to The Calm Hand of Silent Stan

Before reading today’s, I’ve just read the last comment from Chas:
    “Some twitter comments are suggesting the Mirallas story has been cooked up by his agent and Arsenal haven’t contacted Olympiakos at all”.
    I can only ROLF very loudly at the suggestion that someone using Twister is suggesting that someone using Twister has cooked up a story.
    Blind leading the blind. Massive ROLF.

2. oz gunner says:

@ Chas

no need to apologise I think it’s a hilarious Song. I just hope the crowd at the Emirates starts chanting it this season. ‘Goldi poldi Hallelujah!!!’

Now off to read Rocky’s post

Fine post, Rocky.
    Love the pebble/tide analogy.
    How about ‘Reticent Roman’?

Micky,
    ROLF
    Mirallas’ agent didn’t use twister, but he used the press which is where the claims that the player is available for a buy-out clause etc have come from.
    The twister comment that it is all fabricated is probably from the blind, though. 🙂

5. deejay says:

‘sumbitch’ & gobshite glazers’. ?

6. rhyle says:

I was one of those criticising last season…and I’m not yet willing to give credit as we haven’t game one!

This summer is shaping up, though, and credit must be given to Wenger for finally realising what many fans have known for years with regards to the squad and finally STRENGTHENED. Though for anyone to take credit for that bar the manager with an economics degree when our big marketing deals are coming up for renewal is a bit rich…

We still need a LB in my opinion, but this summer has me as excited as I’ve in a long time about an upcoming season.

7. Great post Rocky.
    I haven’t got a problem with Stan, he seems to be in it for the long haul, at the moment AFC are a 1 billion super club.
    With FFP which we are set up for nicely, it won’t be long until everyone starts to sit up and notice that we were right all along in what we are trying to do.
    Moneybags & sugar daddies will soon tire of ploughing in dead money when we spend nothing to achieve the same standing, which i’m sure we will.
    When the clubs value is at 2 billion, that’s when Stan will sit back and see that his investment matured.

8. dandan says:

Top drawer stuff Rocky, we are lucky to have the quiet man, god forbid we could have got the Red and White Russian
    On another recent subject the vilification of RVP when he is still an Arsenal player is IMHO likely to make his leaving a self-fulfilling prophesy, he has been abused ever since he supposedly made his statement, when what was needed was the recognition of his frustrations and a continuance of the support he has enjoyed over the last 18 extraordinary months.
    Booing and the constant use of the hate word by bloggers is about as much use to the debate as a milking machine to a stud bull.
    The man is a talent he has performed nobly for us, albeit as a return to the loyalty and treatment we have given him. Leaving when your contract expires is a right for all contracted employees and should the club decide to sell before that time in order to profit from him it is our decision and not an act of treachery on RVP’s part.
    If he stays, a motivated RVP would be an enormous asset, if not why the worry he might go to the Mancs? And why the unnecessary belittling of the contribution he has made to our champions league retention.

9. 26may1989 says:

Good one, the Rock, I like to see someone putting their chin out there – I’m not quite as supportive of Kroenke as you, but it is definitely fair to say that, for all that Kroenke-Wenger-Laws-Gazidis mucked up last summer (still galling to think Mata could have been ours), this summer they’ve covered themselves in glory.

If Kroenke ever takes a dividend out of the club, I’ll be first with the protests, but so far all he’s taken out is a salary. Compare that to the frankly disgusting behaviour of the Glazers, syphoning hundreds of millions out of United’s fanbase.

10. evonne says:

Chas – that is just perfect! I didn’t realise the Krautz had it in them. Repeating it, so nobody should miss it

dandan,
    Continuing to support someone who has stabbed you in the back seems like madness to me.
    I certainly can’t condone booing any Arsenal player, but I’ll boo him like crazy if he goes to the mancs.
    Brave Noble Sir Robin’s ‘statement’ was treacherous to the manager, the club and to the supporters. If the club sell him, it’s simply because he’s forced a situation where he can leave for nothing next summer.

12. 26may1989 says:

Oh my, I disagree with dandan – not something that happens often.

The act of treachery is not deciding to move on or deciding not to renew a contract, it’s in publicly undermining the club for personal ends and at a time when we’re on the way up.

To be honest, I think fans’ reaction to van Persie has been pretty fair – I haven’t seen much real vitriol; anger, frustration, annoyance, disappointment; yes, but he hasn’t yet been utterly slated. The fans in Cologne were mostly silent, there were just a few boos. And that seems about right.

If van Persie were to acknowledge his error in making the statement, I’m sure he’d leave with much more goodwill. This is something of his own making, and he has to accept the consequences of his choices.

Personally, I hope he apologises, says he’ll see out his contract and review matters at the end of the season, leaving open the possibility of him staying after 2013.

13. glic says:

” Dont piss on my boots and tell me It`s raining ” 😆
    Your standards never slip Rocky !. 😆
    Super read.

Reminds me of my comment to my dad when I was a poor kid ( getting hand me downs from tramps ), ” Dont piss on my head and tell me It`s a hot shower ” !.
    For the money he has spent to buy shares in our glorious club, he deserves at least a bit of time to make a go of it. Lets cut him some slack and give him a chance. How long that time should be ?, It`s an impatient world and if he doesn`t get it right quickly a lot of impatient gooners will be joining Terry as an impatient inpatient at Loony gooners cuckoo farm !.

Just lost another comment into the wordpress ether. Can’t be bothered to type it in again.
    As it was about Brave Noble Sir Robin’s treachery, it was probably censored by Gordon Taylor.

15. dandan says:

Morning 26; does anyone have any proof that RVP made that statement given the way that agents work in todays world?

Wow, posting a further comment has made the first one appear.

17. El Beto says:

I doubt if Silent Stan has had much to do with this summers business at all, apart from setting a budget and stressing that RVP will not be allowed to run his deal down and leave for nowt next summer. For the past 3 or 4 seasons it’s been claimed Arsenal have had a £30m – £50m transfer kitty before selling any players, depending on what daily rag you read, and yet the club didn’t invest it. Last years last minute trolley dash was a reinvestment of the cash raised from the sales of Cesc and Nasri. I would say this years outlay is not a signal of investment from Stan but a dipping into the funds that were already available for players. Lets not forget that prior to this summer since 2009 Arsenal have a transfer deficit of plus £41m. This summers outlay of close to £40m just eats up the past 3 seasons transfer profits. So really there has been no investment at all, just a using of funds made from prior sales. If RvP goes for £20m we’ll still be up by over £20m so I don’t think all the fanfair for Silent Stan is necessary. Credit where credit is due.

Really have to go, but Rocky, that is superb and I completely agree. I’d love to know who the critics of SK would prefer (apart from the Fat One).
    They’d moan and whinge about an interfering owner, and they whinge about a silent one. Anyone would think these fans had put a few hundred million of their own hard earned into the club.

19. 26may1989 says:

dandan, whoever wrote the words in the first place, he adopted the text as his own – it’s his statement, on his website and to which he circulated a link on his twitter account. If it really weren’t his statement, he’d have distanced himself from it long ago. To be fair to him, I haven’t seen him try to use the adolescent tactic of trying to point the finger at others. He’s an intelligent man, and can and should be held responsible for his actions and those of people he employs.

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rocky, I think you are possibly right about the Kroenke/Wenger conversation about RvP. By signing Podolski and Giroud early the club have been able to play hard ball with RvP and his suitors. Manure are reported to have made a £20 million offer, double that of their original derisory £10 million bid.

I do hope that the heavily indebted club can actually afford to pay the transfer fee, their recent less than successful floatation on the NY stock exchange has taken a further knock with an “avoid” tag being attached to it.

The possibility of Song going to Barca for £20 million, plus the youngster Tello, added to the RVP fee would top up the transfer kitty and keep Silent Stan happy.

It’s worrying that already the injury jinx is raising it’s ugly head, both The Ox and Kos have withdrawn from their respective international squads.

21. dandan says:

You obviously have more knowledge than I 26, But I still feel an olive branch would be a small price to pay for retaining such a talent.

22. evonne says:

Rocky – great post and I think you are right about Kroenke. Althought last year was his first season in charge, he has been around for long enough to understand the transfer window. Perhaps he was diplomatic enough not to makes waves and upset AW as soon as he could and hence the last season’s fiasco?

We can only supose. I wish the Club made certain information public, after say 5 years. It would be interesting to know how had Hleb and Flamini left. Or TH14?

Dandan – RvP only played one full season at the Emirates. And that was just for himself, not for us. He must have known that he wanted to leave, so he put his best performance for the potentiol buyers, not for us.

23. glic says:

I`m off to meet Matt Damon.
    Actually I`m off to Dartmoor Zoo with my Grand daughter. ” We bought a Zoo ” was based on DZ. I`ve told Mrs glic that Matt Damon`s there. I`ve also phoned the Zoo in advance to warn them to sedate any nervous animals as Mrs glic is a scary person !. 😆

24. 26may1989 says:

You’re right DD, there probably is a form of lovey-dovey words both sides can adopt as a means to create the basis on which van Persie could stay. But as part of that, I honestly do think he needs to say something to placate the fans.

25. dandan says:

Evonne that is very harsh on RVP, but if it is your considered opinion then fair enough.

26. flex says:

what a gud summer ahead in arsene we trust,gun down who so ever come ur way as 4 man u.our captian is nt 4 sell go 2 hell.we re havin a better season.up gunners one love

27. evonne says:

Dandan – yes it is. I loved the guy to bits, as much as I loved both Cesc and Thierry, they will always be my heros for years and years of hard grafting. They didn’t go to competition, they left for trophies. Van Persie let us down BIG TIME.

28. dandan says:

Interesting Sky are now saying Song wants new contract with Arsenal, don’t you just love these Agents and their Machinations

29. dandan says:

Off to watch the first half of the Cologne game again .C U Later

30. FunGunner says:

Just a point of information, RockyLives – SK is the majority owner of Arsenal but Wenger runs the football club and he makes the decisions as to who to sell etc. SK’s modus operandi is to let the manager manage. All of SK, IG and AW have confirmed this – and Arsene signed up on that condition.

31. evonne says:

dogs ate the keyboard, so difficult to type 😦 But I have just thought of something else – Rocky is right that the forever moaning, groaning, complaining winging brigade had little or no impact on the decision making at Board level. However, the open criticism from a certain Uzbek might have made an impact. I am beginning to think that having Usmanov in the background, breathing heavily on Stan’s neck is not a bad thing for the Club

Of course Song wants a new contract.
    The one he signed doesn’t expire until 2015.
    Three more seasons on only 50k a week (wild guess to make a point) would be too much to bear for any impoverished soul.

Nice one Rocky. Hands off approach is what we like, just like Mrs Terrys aproach to me. Kronke is no fool. You dont buy into a brilliant club like Arsenal and try and change things. Thats were Mrs Terry has gone wrong. hahaha

dandan, dont often disagree with you but the Arsenal support owe Van Persie nothing. The guy has made his choice and the stark reality is that that both Van Persie and we the supporters have to go in different directions. His road will be the injury table at old Trafford and our road will be to the top of the premier league.

Terrific post Rocky. I for one am prepared to give him some of the credit for this summer’s transfer activity. Arsene may run most things but I’m sure SK would have input into the financial side of things and his sound business head would say something like, if we buy who we want in advance, our bargaining position with players who want away is strengthened – win/win situation.

What is interesting is that the money in the game is producing this syndrome (can’t remember what it’s called) whereby a player’s performance improves/declines in relation to where they are in their contract and what they plan for their next move. It’s not good for the game, the clubs or the supporters, but I fear it’s here to stay.

Thanks for the link chas, what is interesting is when you bring up RvP on the same site they list his transfer value as £42m?

36. Gobber says:

Agree with DD.

Many fans, though not all, complain about lack of information from the club, even if such material is of a sensitive nature.

RvP, allegedly, took it upon himself to communicate to the fans his take on events and stirred up a hornets nest for himself, and is damned to perdition.

The main complaint from angry fans seems to be that he said his aspirations (ambitions) and the club’s were far apart.
    Only he would know the truth of this from his perspective, but condemning him as a liar for saying so rather than accepting it as the truth, as he sees it, seems a tad invidious.

Many of the fans who are now castigating their erstwhile hero, are, in some cases, the same ones who have often denigrated the club by saying it showed, in their view, the lack of ambition demonstrated by its measly attitude toward buying players in every transfer window.
    They conveniently forget the huge investment Arsenal has made in building the fantastic Emirates stadium and thereby guaranteeing the clubs future heritage.

Obviously its OK for these fans to bollock the club, but not RvP, evidently.

37. dandan says:

Manchester Utd have had there shares valued in New York at $5 this morning despite them being offered at there launch @ $14 which was in itself a reduction from the original offer of $20

Many of the fans who have criticised the club for a lack of ambition are now wholeheartedly behind Brave Sir Robin’s decision not to sign a new contract since it confirms the ‘lack of ambition’ trumpet they’ve been blowing for the past 5 years.

Many who always look for the positive angle on all matters Arsenal are now resentful of Brave Sir Robin’s statement and the lack of class shown in his relations with the club.

Rasp,
    I’m not sure where the valuations come from.
    Though the contract info I’ve seen has always been spot on.

Jordan Henderson value £13m. Wasn’t he signed for £20m?
    Andy Carroll £13.5m. hahahahaha
    Stewart Downing £10.5m.

Gobber, you make good points and i tend to agree with most of it, except the bit about Van Perise. “Divergence” is the key word here. RVP has chosen a different path and the man is free to do what ever he wishes. What upsets me is that he aludes in his statement that the club lacks ambition which i regard as complete and total crap. I can only deduce then that his motives for leaving were not fully spelt out in his statement i.e. cash. I would respect the guy a lot more if he came out and said that at his age this is the time to get one last bumper contract and on balance he would have to leave to secure that. But no, instead he comes out with a load of rubbish, addressed to us the supporters remember, about how to fulfill his footballing ambitions he needs to go. When you add all this together with the fact that he is at a great club that is on the rise, captains the side, has only had one injury free season, his family is happy and settled in London, and most importantly of all he has been at Arsenal long enough to realise the ambition of the club, then what do you expect people to think of his actions?

41. Gobber says:

Love your enthusiasm, and I understand your disappointment.
    I am disappointed too.

RvP could and should have handled matters better, and that is regrettable because it has backfired on him badly, and his service to Arsenal deserves better. Silly man!

42. Norfolk Gooner says:

Dandan,

One of the reasons for MU’s poor showing on the NY stock exchange is that the shares are little more than “merchandise”, they have no effective voting rights as the shares held by the Glazers have 10 times the voting rights of the newly issued shares.

One analyst in New York stated “the shares are a bit of football memorabilia in the way a Red Devils cap is” “It is not really a sensible investment on any level”.

43. dandan says:

Gobber cannot argue with that Sir.

44. dandan says:

Agreed NG but this will have ramifications on the debt payback for the club, given that the “Glaziers” history says me first every time. The real interest is will this have a marked price on the clubs voting share values and will it make it vulnerable to another take over?

Hello All and thanks for the comments.

Can’t stay as I’m about to spend the day being dragged round Universal Studios in Florida by youngest son. (Who am I kidding? It’s brilliant!).

The ManUre stock listing is a perfect example of why we are better off with a careful owner like SK.

Rasp
    “Reticent Roman” – I wish I’d thought of that! 🙂

46. Norfolk Gooner says:

dandan,

This share offering was an attempt, in part, by the Glazers to pay down some of the massive debt that they loaded onto the club when they acquired it. FFP may be playing it’s part, but the Glazers are still making money out of merchandising, gate receipts and TV rights so would be reluctant to sell the club while they can still milk the mug punters, Oh! sorry I meant to say ” the loyal supporters”.

47. 26may1989 says:

And now Theo’s pulled out of the England game – this has to be a concerted thing by the club, surely!

It’s now 85% certain RvP is going to manu and possibly by the weekend.

Apparently Chamakh has turned down a loan deal and Bendtner has said that staying is not an option (who knows what Park thinks). We need to get tough with those players and shift them so we can sign another striker and a second choice goalkeeper to make our summer complete.

49. dandan says:

Rasp from where did your 85% come please.

hahahaha, Rasp, the most accurate and true comment of the day “Who knows what Park thinks”

Has there ever been a greater man of mystery associated with our club than Park?

I always wondered if David Price was Terry Neils love child, or that Eddie Mcgoldrick was dating George Grahams daughter. Petrovic was a strange one, did he pay the club so he could get a uk visa? Was Glen Helda realy a back up dancer for earth wind and fire and just blagged himself into professional football?

One things for sure, all the above did exsist. With Park ime not sure wether we are all suffering some form of weird mass delusion and the bloke isnt even real? My head hurts, need a lie down.

52. Afternoon all, to be honest although DanDan does craft his argument well I tend to think, like one other commenter above, it is more the influence of the trio of Dick Laws/Wenger/The Bubble who have made their mark on transfer dealings this season.

I get the impression Stan is a hands off guy with his sports teams, having said that I’m not only going to thank DanDan for his post but to agree with him regarding our errant Dutchman.

There – you didn’t see that coming did you ?

53. dandan says:

Well thanks chary and though I own up to the RVP Post, it was Rocky Lives a far more gifted writer than I,that wrote the lead article.

54. Oh right DanDan – sorry for the slip up guys.

Rasp/Radders if you’re around do you fancy my debut on you tube going up here so you can critique my “guitar playing” ?

dandan, the 85% is from me 🙂

chary, definitely yes ….. post the link please ….

56. OK Raspers, but no laughin..

57. I hope the loan deal at Rovers goes through for Chamakh – he needs to get some game time in away from the glare of the Premier League.

hahahaha, great stuff chary. Ive never heard of this Judas fellow before but you play him mighty well.

59. Thanks Mr Syrup, my bottom E went out towards the end but I was too lazy to re-shoot that bit.

BTW they were ahowing a clip of “An audience with Mohammed Ali” on ESPN classic the other day and who was in the adudience asking “The Greatest” A question ?

None other than Mr Syrup himself, with full comb over in view vainly trying to mask the shining pate, classic stuff.

Rasp, Check Arsenal nuts.

hahaha, nothing wrong with the comb over chary. I would be sporting it myself if it wssnt for my superb transplant in combo with nanogen topic fibres which do a great job concealing thinning areas. Ime ok as long as it dont rain. hahaha

Thanks GN5

63. Mr Syrup, it looked like a proto type Bobby Charlton – even Parky, who was compering the evening, looked quite dazzled by the glare caused by the reflected studio lights coming off Mancini’s skull.

Yeah, ive seen the clip chary. You could definatly fry an egg on that bonce. The guys a hero of mine. He was a crap player but the crowd didnt seem to mind because he looked so funny. hahaha

65. As soon as the caption “Terry Mancini” went up I thought, so THAT’s who he means.

TMHT. I have been over to the States checking out a new Goretex “Weaves” (aka syrups). Still in early stages of production but the prospects look very good. I took one for a test walk in the rain and came home with my head completely dry whereas those with ordinary, boring natural hair looked like drowned rats.

Chary. Fine work on the vid especially for a leftie. Nice and easy to play which is always a bonus 🙂

Hi all

This is the now famous statement from Van Persie. What has followed is that The Arsenal player has been accused of disrespecting the club. Could someone explain to me where or how he has done that?

Taken from Robin Van Persie’s web site.

Published: July 4, 2012 – 4:03 pm

This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr. Gazidis and Mr. Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what’s really going on at the moment.

As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the Boss and Mr. Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC. Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last 8 years. As soon as Mr. Gazidis is back from his 2-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments.

Robin van Persie

RL. Beautifully written as always. Bertie Einstein made me laugh.

“don’t piss on my back/shoes and tell me it’s raining”. Lovely. First time I heard it was in Outlaw Josie Whales

As to SS. He seems to be doing a fine job though how much involvement he has apart from general direction is open to question. I am looking forward to the final frantic weeks of the transfer window to see if we can sell as well as we have bought.

Ah, but can you do this, chary? 🙂

Also, who needs a guitar strap when you have one of these!

I am shocked by your comment on Mata. I say from the outset that I, of course, do not have inside knowledge of the situation but feel that common sense leads us to a very obvious conclusion.

It makes no sense for Valencia to sell one their most prized assets to the first club that comes along, far better to explore all possibilities. Chelsea where in the final stage of appointing a manager so surely, once again, common sense leads us to the view that Valencia were going to wait to find out if there was interest from that quarter — as you know there was, they have far greater spending power and when they entered the race we had to bow out.

If Tottenham supporters manufactured the tale that Arsenal dithered and therefore lost out I would not have been surprised but this is worse, this devious rumour is the work of Arsenal supporters.

73. LB – don’t you think that this bit …….

“This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their policy”.

“but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward”.

is a tiny bit disrespectful to the club?

74. Gooner In Exile says:

A Known Fact : Arsenal pay ridiculous wages to youngsters/squad players

Seems Man Utd do too if this is to be believed:

“Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck, 21, has agreed a new five-year contract, worth £75,000-a-week.”

£75k a week for a player with 90 senior top flight games to his name and 25 goals. (Goal every 3.6 games)

(NikB 186 top flight games 53 goals, at 21 he had 122 games 36 goals (Goal every 3.33 games))

75. Shard says:

Regarding the RVP debate and whether the fans have been booing him or not. There certainly were some boos, but reports of such a thing might be exaggerated.

Van Persie definitely made a rod for his own back though, and gets no sympathy from me. I want a player of his talent to stay, but he has to want to stay. If he doesn’t, well, then off with him. As long as the asking price is met. The Brave One needs to have a great season again if he wants the mega bucks next year. As long as we can absorb the financial loss, it might be worth holding him to his contract (which is what his statement was meant to extricate him from)

76. glic says:

Have to agree with peaches there LB. Sounds to me that not only does he want to score when he wants to, but he also wants to run the club the way he wants to , so I would make him stay and make him play because his employers want to.

PS
    I`m currently shagging his wife because I want to.

PPS
    Rasp @ 11:09am, I can think of a few better choice words,but lets just call It the Ungratefull Bastards Syndrome.

Peaches

I do agree that it is a bit disrespectful, he puts himself in a position of thinking he knows better than the club but to my mind all that makes him guilty of is being egotistical and so I ask myself does that really justify the amount of toys that have come out of the Arsenal supporters pram?

Actually I wish that could have been tomorrow’s post, I wonder just how many people have really read what is on Van Persie’s web site.

78. glic says:

Where`s Redders ?, on Hols ?

“Redders he confuses us when he wants to”

Where is that talented guy ?

79. goonerjake says:

Regarding Van Persie and is he or isnt he.

I just despair when ANY player chooses to leave the Arsenal, i am sure i speak for everyone on this site, that if we were lucky enough to play for this great club and at the end of our time with the club we would have to be dragged out kicking and screaming with finger nails scratching over the marble floors.

80. Gooner In Exile says:

Apologies did not comment on another fine post from Rockster. As for Silent Stan I have said all along that if he leaves the football to the people that know it and the money in the club then I have no issue with his ownership, or influence, just like i was never bothered about Fiszman, Hill Wood or others, they have always had the best interests of the club at heart, if that continues and they manage to line their own pockets when they sell why should i care, i ask myself one question, would i be any different?

As for Robin, we shouldn’t be booing, but i find his statement hard to take. And i get annoyed that the statement is read as though he has to leave now. As i have said before all that has happened is RvP has declined to sign a new contract and therefore still has a year to run should the club not sell him.

Now as for RvP’s statement and why it annoys me, its the comments designed in my view to force a sale now, rather than see his contract out, but without actually putting in a transfer request and losing his loyalty bonus.

goonerjake, that sums it up for me. Great comment.

Unless they dragged me out from my hair, cant take any chances. hahaha

83. glic says:

Thats the difference between us and him goonerjake, WE love the club !.

84. glic says:

Terry
    They would have to drag me out by my todger, but that`s stretching it a bit !. 😆

PS
    That should please the wife !.

In case i fail Peaches mums test shouldnt realy be saying this Cornwall, but stretching does work. Ive tried it myself and must say had excellent results. Give it a go. hahaha

86. Is It better to stretch it yourself or get someone else to stretch it ?
    Also, do I do warm up exercises, like ,…..er….stretching ?

Dear Anonynous

I recomend you do it yourself. this avoids the risk of injury.

Because we lead such fast and frantic lives i also suggest incorporating the stretching in your daily routine. Stretch whilst on public transport, at work, whilst shopping with the wife etc. If you avoid the police or some undeserved hostility from the public then after 2 months you should be delighted with the results.

Good luck to you

Dr Terry Stretch

88. Dear Dr Terry Stretch

Unfortunately, I tried your prescribed recommendation in public and was apprehended by two women Police Officers who unsurprisingly dragged me kicking and screaming to the local nic. I now await sentencing. My brief, Mr 26, said it looks like I`m going down for a Long Stretch !.

89. glic says:

Terry, this is the last time I call you Terry, Stretch is much better !. 😆 😆 😆

90. glic says:

Stretch
    You have mucked up my curling (weight training), it`s hard to do when laughing ! 😆

91. Dr Terry Stretch says:

Dear Anonymous

I am very sorry to hear about your plight. Take solace in that fact that court rooms are very good places to indulge a bit of stretching. Also,statistical surveys show that Judges are highly prone to a bit of stretching themselves so i reccomend stretching whilst standing and receiving sentence. If your technique is good the Judge will be very impressed and should adjust your stretch accordingly.

Good luck to you.

Dr Terry Stretch

92. Dear Stretch
    Thanks for the advise, but I think, like Catholic Priests and Scout leaders, Judges like their stretching done by little boys !. It will be much better when there are Female Priests, boys could then have it stretched willingly !.

93. Dear Stretch
    I now find it ironic that todays post is titled ” The Calm Hand of Silent Stan “. 😆

94. Gooner In Exile says:

Going back to that statement he also said that Gazidis was on holiday, when he wasn’t and it was in fact RvP who was enjoying the sunshine. (this part of it felt written by the agents as it was a bugbear of some fans that Gazidis took a break during the season and it felt like a bit of point scoring).

95. evonne says:

now that has made me laugh – Spurs are going to play without a striker, the Spanish way 🙂

Peaches/Rasp,

I’ve responded to your email.

97. Radders @ 5.20 – thanks and I was only ever going to play a slow-ish song, as I’m not that good at playing quicker, trickier stuff yet.

Chas @ 5.27/5.30 – amazing “toe-work” and so that’s what became of Bachman Turner Overweight. BTW I liked the “Mind the gap” video you put up the other day, tee hee. FOYS.

98. Gooner In Exile says:

On the RvP to ManUre does holding him until 31 August drive up the price?

If ManU have a bad start they will become desperate.

99. Or conversely GiE – if they start well will they(and I mainly mean their whiskey addled “manager”) lose interest ?

100. glic says:

Just listened to Sky Sports News. They understand that Barca`s Vice President ( didn`t catch his name, something like Senor Slimey Bastard ) is in London ( 2nd best City in the world after Bath 🙂 ) for talks about Song, for a price around £15M. If Senor Slimey Bastard had done a detour to Cornwall, I would have given him a few Song`s for nothing, funny enough they all have the words F**k Off in them !.

101. mjc, our man in Cologne at the weekend has sobered up at last and sent through his match report which as he’s written it I think I should share it with you. So I’ll publish it first thing in the morning and then a bit later publish something else. Does that sound like a plan that appeals to all?

102. glic says:

peaches
    Speaking for everyone on here at this moment, you have my blessing. 😆

If MJC has only just sobered up I for one would love to hear about his escapades.

104. Dam these precocious kids…

and i second glic, it’s a mighty fine plan for tomorrow’s posts you’ve got there Peachy.

105. Gooner In Exile says:

Have Barca got £15m? Methinks it’ll take a few pounds more for Arsenal to budge.

As the market has been so seriously dampened by FFP it will be interesting to see what happens to player valuations as this is a significant cost to each club and is spread over the life of his initial contract so assuming he signed a 5 year deal on £100k a week he would be a spend of £8m a year, on top of where they already are. Barca shouldn’t have to worry too much about FFP but they do have to worry about cash. Swap deal for Cesc or Iniesta anyone?

By the way any article starting “we understand” is instantly dismissed by me.

106. goonermichael says:

dandan
    I don’t see how you can doubt the validity of robins statement. I doubt he actually wrote it himself but it wouldn’t be published without his approval and is still on his official website. He deserves all he gets. I was at the cologne game and it was more than a few gooners booing him. Sooner he goes the better. Nasri has more class

107. goonermichael says:

Most of the cheering for van persie was by german and scandanavian gooners Shard

108. oz gunner says:

great post Rocky, good to see a pro stan post and your stance on the issue.

@ Anonymous and Dr Stretch

comedic gold! You two will make great granddads. Your grandson would ask about the great wall of China and next thing you know you’d be on a tangent talking about Mongolian strippers–mongol sword—the rest is history hahaha

109. oz gunner says:

@ LB

I don’t understand how your not seeing the worst out of Van Persie’s statement. I’m sick of hearing people say ‘do we know if he has ACTUALLY said it himself?’ If he has linked it on his twitter account and not come out publicly to distance himself from it, then of course the w***** has

110. Andy Mack says:

Rocky, I do think Stan is a good guy (and was gobsmacked that PHW came out with such drivel when Stan was first introduced by DD) but I also think Ivan probably had more to do with this transfer window than Stan. I suspect Ivan told AW that the money was definitely available, especially with the new / renewal sponsorship deals coming through and if we didn’t put in a serious run for some silverware then Stan may well make changes.Plus the loud minority calling for his head would be getting larger and louder if we end up losing anyone without getting in a serious replacement sorted and it may be wise to add some quality even if we get through the window unscathed. Ivan was the one getting it in the ear at the AST meetings. AW doesn’t listen to people that don’t know what’s happening in the club, so he wouldn’t take any notice of the doomers, but he would listen to Ivan.
    In My Opinion!

Good comment Andy M
    It’s hard to know how much leeway IG gets from Stan, but I suspect after last year’s transfer dealings some rockets were fired up various derrières by our majority owner.

I’ve never understood the hatred some fans seem to have for Ivan. Sure, we have been underpowered in the transfer business in recent years, but haven’t the critics noticed that we built a brilliant new stadium during that period, which had an inevitable effect on our ability to spend?

112. oz gunner says:

thats the problem Rocky, so many supporters don’t take that into account. They think shiny new stadium = more $$$$$. Yeah it does in the long term, but the short term is impacted. The fog is clearing now and thankfully we had Arsene to steer this ship through it!

Morning all.
    dandan, just read your comment about the Utd share fiasco. Oh dear, have they overvalued themselves or what?

114. Bobby says:

What a load of crap. 20 mil was spent (one intended to be RvP’s replacement, which meant an expectation of getting that 20 mil back in RvP’s sale) and the transfer rumors had gone dead before RvP released his statement, fan outrage went through the roof and thousands made themselves heard by passing up on season tickets. Since then there seems to have been a little effort to appease but we’ve really only added one quality player to our team, we still haven’t spent more than we made in the past few seasons from sales, and now are rumored to lose as many as three starters yet we’re supposed to applaud Stan for this?
    How about he dig in his pocket and put up 40-60 million more so we can get all our target players and REALLY strengthen the team? Then tell Arsene and the board dont worry about potentially losing 20 mil by not selling RvP, we will show a spine and not sell to our rivals and if he still isnt happy with the squad we assemble and any silverware we win at the end of the year he can walk and Stan will put up another 20 million next season to replace him. THAT will change my opinion of Stan, but for now he hasn’t shown any leadership when our first chance to move forward a stronger team and with high moral is being undermined at the last minute, and he still hasn’t contributed a single quid of his own money! And that’s no surprise because all his other teams SUCK, the Rapids are the only one to win anything in years despite finishing 5th in the regular season thanks to MLS’ stupid playoff system

Morning Bobby,
    So Stan puts 30-40M into this seasons transfer kitty, and we come second. Then what? Also, why should he?

Bobby. Apart from your first sentence which almost ruins the following argument, that is a fine comment. It isn’t one I agree with because you cannot possibly know the expectations of the club nor the machinations around the RvP situation.

And unless you have been in discussion with the man, I cannot understand how you arrive at conclusions about Stan’s intentions.

In my opinion, the club has definitely strengthened through the summer whether RvP stays or not.

Morning Micky. How is the Atlantic? Seas here are about 17C.

118. Another One says:

Oh, no you don’t Micky.

Bobby quite generously wants to spend £100m (Spend £60m + lose £20m on RVP + then Spend another £20m) and you try to make it only £30/£40m. Tsk tsk!

I don’t think Bobby has gone far enough. He should look again and to make me happy he needs to spend, at least, another £500m. Then he will show he is serious.

What do you mean it’s not Bobby’s money? You mean he wants to spend someone else’s money??? I wonder if he will give me £20 quid while he is at it then?

In Bobby’s crazy world what’s £100,000,000 or £500,000,000 of someone else’s dosh? Thank goodness he has f**k all to do with running the club.

119. Shard says:

goonermichael,

Maybe so, and I do get it that Arsenal’s stadium will usually be filled with English Arsenal fans. My point was that it wasn’t all of the fans booing him, and if he stays (which I doubt since we’re not offering 200k a week) I don’t think there’ll be massive outrage reserved for him in the stands, even from the English gooners. Probably indifference will be the predominant reaction. If he does go to ManU though… expect him to be the subject of real vitriol.

120. Bobby says:

Micky, then we still have a solid team that may win the league the following year, but at least will be respected as contenders and may not face a continued departure of our stars. He should because he bought a majority share in the club and supposedly not just to make money (and even if he did do it for the money, a trophy winning team can command a lot more when all our endorsement deals need renewing in the next few years)

Raddy, I suppose the first sentence was not a good start, but I don’t believe I said anything regarding his intentions, merely that he hasn’t (publicly at least) shown any leadership or invested any of his money and clearly seems content with also-rans based on the performance of all his other teams. At the moment we are strengthened, possibly even with the loss of Rvp, but can we contend with Man U when they have strengthened as well and might continue to do so at our expense? Also, what if we lose both Rvp and Song, or Rvp, Song and Theo? Would be still be a stronger team? Especially in comparison to the investment Man U and Chelsea have made?

Hi Raddy,
    Cold seas? Rubber Up 🙂

Personally I’m looking forward to going to the game on Saturday.

Bobby,
    Brave Sir Robin released his statement on the 4th July.
    The season ticket renewal deadline was 1st June.

Do you really think his statement caused ‘fan outrage’ to go through the roof, thereby causing thousands to make themselves heard by passing up on season tickets? Nothing to do with economic conditions in the country, then.

Was Cazorla bought to appease Brave Sir Robin or was it to appease disgruntled fans who’d passed up a chance of a season ticket?! Nothing to do with the timeframe of Malaga’s financial plight, then.

Perhaps you’re right…….but I’d bet you aren’t.

123. Bobby says:

Another One, I clearly mentioned how little has actually been spent so far given the amount we earned from past sales. Unless that money was being used for other things, in which case do we applaud Stan for diverting funds that should have been reinvested into the team? Or do we accept that we are a selling club staying debt free thanks to overcharging fans for a team that is continually mined of star players for more money?

If Stan doesnt want to spend it we have another billionaire owner who does, so maybe he should step aside if he’s so “frugal”

Hi Oz

You are usually still around at this time. In my 5.29pm comment yesterday I ask where exactly people think RvP disrespected the club in his statement. Please note I make no reference to the validity of the statement which you seem to have got upset about.
    The aim of my comment was to get people to actually read what RvP has said as I feel that most who are condemning him have simply jumped on a band wagon rather than taking the trouble to examine word for word what he actually said.

125. Bobby says:

Chas, maybe I mis-remebered the dates, in which case fans were already making their disapproval known and his statement was just icing on the cake

You’re right, if it wasn’t for Malaga’s problems we wouldn’t have even brought in Cazorla, good point about how little Stan is really trying to better the team

Bobby. Thanks for your reply. It is difficult to discuss your point about what happens if …. because it is pure supposition. I would agree that we would be diminished should all three go, but I thought that about Cesc and Nasri and yet we still finished higher in the table without them than with them.

AW says we are still looking at the market, this could be because he is reacting to the possibility of player sales or that he is looking to further strengthen. Either way it is much better than last summer’s fiasco.

In comparison to MU/Chelsea? Yes, we have a better squad than both of them.

Bobby,
    As I’ve said, I see no reason why SK should put an injection of cash in, however, there may be a case for the club to take a different view on their risk policy. How the transfer books balance at the end of this window will answer that question as to whether or not there has been a slight shift in thinking.

Bobby,
    You managed to twist my point about the timing of the Cazorla signing quite nicely there.
    Perhaps we should have just bought him in May for 25-30 million just to prove what a fine club we are.

Not having a go at Bobby here, but I’m not sure about the “overcharging” fans line. One mate has just renewed his Torquay Utd Season Ticket at £400, and another chum at Arsenal for £985. Its not cheap, I know, and times are hard, but still I think the relative difference is about right.

130. evonne says:

I hate the term ‘the selling club’. What does it mean? We cannot just buy, buy, buy, like all other clubs we have to sell. And as it happens seldom do we sell players at their best. We get the best of them before passing them on for big bucks, well bigger than we paid.

131. Where is Stan diverting the money Bobby? Wouldn’t be paying off a stadium debt would he?

robin can’t stay. he’s a classless wanker

132. spuds season tickets are more expensive if you divide the price by the number of games. we sttill have a waiting list (my son is 20k after 4 years). the mancs are on general sale snd the chavs never sell all of theirs

Normally I feel I am pretty good at being able to defend the club when in my view I see it under attack but there is one criticism that keeps on coming up that I cannot find the words or an example to explain why I see it is being wrong.

How do you explain to people like Bobby that just because someone is a billionaire it is unreasonable to expect them to make large investments (players) without any hope of ever recovering that money in the future?

You could say I have just done so but it could be an awful lot better.

134. Bobby says:

Micky, he should because right now we have good positive momentum that should be built on to put ourselves solidly back in the hunt for silverware which, if successful, will bring about a good financial return in terms of new sponsorships in addition to stronger growth in the Asian market we seem so keen on.

135. Gooner In Exile says:

Ahhh the first time a comment has disappeared into the ether and it was a good’un.

Morning all

Well said Evonne

Bobby,
    That’s effectively touching on the risk thing I was referring to. One side of the risk equation being the “if successful” as you put it. That is a very big “if”. The other side being that soon we are almost certainly to have increased revenues from new sponsorship deals (even being a non trophy winning side) that should free up enough self-sustained cash to continue the “positive momentum” as you rightly call it.

138. Gooner In Exile says:

Basically our net proceeds since 06/07 (Henry sale) is £12.5m (including this summer)

Even if we get the money for RvP it’ll be £30-40m in and we all know that went on stadium debt.

Have a look here Bobby and then maybe you will stop posting comments based on “facts” that aren’t true.

And secondly with the comment about Stan diverting funds check Arsenal website and have a look at the independently audited accounts which are made publicly available.

In the two years Stan has owned the club we are net spenders! Shock Horror!

139. Bobby says:

Chas, maybe we should have just to convince some of our players that we are serious about winning and they wouldnt all have one eye on the exit

goonermichael, there was supposed to be a plan for paying off the stadium when it was built. Where would we have found the money if Cesc and Nasri didnt want to leave? Sell them anyway? And we get more games for our money because it includes a number of cups games and such that most would like the option of not having to buy

Look, if you all want to say Stan shouldn’t have to spend a single penny and we’re gonna use a good dose of Wenger smarts combined with a little bit of hoping and dreaming to win again, fine. But don’t tell me we should applaud Stan for anything this summer when he could have done so much more and we have another owner (however deplorable some may find him personally) who is practically begging to do so.

Bobby,
    “good positive momentum”
    Pretty much echoing the sentiment of the first few lines of Rocky’s post.
    Whereas, from your first comment I thought we were halfway down the shitter already.

141. Shard says:

That is one argument I feel is overused, Bobby. The question to be asked is, how much value does winning a trophy or two (depends on which trophies) add to any sponsorship deal. My guess would be, not as much as you think. Arsenal already have a huge fan following. Is it likely to increase with a trophy? Perhaps, but if in order to win the few trophies before the new deals are signed, we give up what we are renowned for (great football, responsible behaviour in the transfer market etc.), we are as likely to alienate our existing fan base. (there is no way I could support a Chelsea) The Asian tours demonstrate the size of our fan base in a part of the world which has huge potential for companies to enter into and grow. The payments to Arsenal will be on the basis of visibility of the brand to the gooners across the world. Not on the basis of the Arsenal name etched into a trophy.

142. evonne says:

GiE – yep, a goot comment (sorry, I have some letters missing from the keyboart)

Bobby,
    Surely Cesc was the only one who didn’t leave directly because of money?
    We can’t win the league the Citeh way unless we sign up for some bottomless well of oil money.
    The Montpelier way it is then.

Goot morning, Evonne.
    How are you totay?

Evonne,
    Missing letters? That’ll be those dogs of yours. Last week was my children’s birthdays, and we bought them a pet pig each. They are absolutely brilliant, and show no interest in keyboards whatsoever 🙂

Evonne,
    Which other letters other than “d” are missing? That way we know what questions to ask you.
    Like: “What are your favourite pet animals?” ROLF ROLF

Bobby, stop talking Boobies. We have just made 3 great signings and have youngsters like Wilshere, Chamberlin etc who will take us to the top. In the grand scheme of things Kronke has only been at the club a short while. Regardless of whos in charge the Club is destined for great things and nothing or no one will change that.

Togs is the answer isn’t it? He he

149. Bobby says:

Gooner in Exile. all those numbers don’t account for the seemingly imminent sale of any of our rumored departures. (which could be as much as 50 million if we lose all three at the prices being bandied about) We can discuss the exact numbers once the transfer window is closed.

Chas, I’m talking about coming out of last season third, with a good team foundation to build on and a guaranteed CL spot, not right now where our captain and best player last year seems out the door and a player who is just now blossoming into his peak looking to go as well.

Shard, well O2 just decided to drop us. As for fans, yes Asia is a HUGE market and MANY are fans of Man U and Chelsea due to their successes in recent years. Glory hunting might be looked down on, but when introduced to the league and deciding who to follow and become a fan of very few people pick non-champions, so if we wish to make the most of our entry into that market a trophy or two in the next few years would be VERY beneficial

150. evonne says:

Morning guys, I am fine. Yep, the new tog ate some keys. little bugger 🙂

Micky – pigs?? No, you are pulling my leg. I watchet a programme ones about people buying macro pigs, like the ones Beckhams have. Scummers solt them ortinary pigglets, claiming that they shoult not grow anymore. To cut the long story short, some hat to extent houses to accomotate huge beast rooting through the sitting room 🙂 They coultn’t kill or give away the mosters, coz they were part of the family…. well, it was just too funny for worts

Chas,
    Definately not micro pigs. They’re bloody enormous. If you stroke under their chins, they roll over and grunt.

Bobby,
    “good positive momentum” coming out of last season third!
    Flippin heck.

I thought there was mass fan outrage and Brave Sir Robin’s statement was just the icing on the cake?

Make your mind up, you can’t have it both ways.

Evonne,
    Apparently, they are being taken or their first walk totay. Into the woots.

Just like their owner, Micky. 🙂

155. Bobby says:

Chas, we have Wenger, so we don’t need oil money, but we need more, probably just a one time injection at that. I’m not asking that Stan dump 50 million in every year, just this year, like a boost of nitro for us, not so much or for so long that we blow the engine, but just enough to pull ahead 🙂

….too funny for worts. 🙂

157. evonne says:

Micky – that will put the kits off bacon for life 🙂

Bobby – I am sorry to interupt the excellent argument (best since the summer break), sorry, just a little bit of the usual morning silliness

Hi Ratty 🙂

158. Shard says:

Bobby,

I am part of the Asian fans of Arsenal. I see how many fans are around. ManU is by far the most, but Arsenal isn’t far behind.. Chelsea had its fans, and still does, but they are nowhere near the same number as ManU and us. Liverpool are another example of a club that doesn;t really win anything but has a huge following based on its history. History, cannot be bought. Not in the short term.

So like I said, trophies only add a little extra. How do you define how much? How much extra cash will sponsors be willing to put up if we win the FA Cup, or even the PL? That is the sort of basis on which Arsenal will conduct their business. Not simplistic thoughts of winning trophy equals more sponsorship money.

Big Ratty.
    ROLF

Chas,
    I thought he was Big Tatty these days.
    Oh, how I’m rolfing 🙂

161. Bobby says:

Chas, the “good positive momentum” was about team form coming out of last season (minus injuries) and our ability to attract with CL football, the outrage grew over the seeming indifference to build on it. You follow?

162. Bobby says:

Shard, well I imagine a PL trophy (and the assumption that said trophy winning team might bring continued success) might bring in a difference of as much as 10 million a year. Our deal now is terrible and will definitely improve regardless, but even a single trophy might be spun into talk of a new era when negotiating that a lack of trophies simply wont allow for.

Anyway, that’s all for me, I work odd hours and it’s bedtime. But it was a pleasure discussing this with you all. Even if we disagree about how to achieve it, I know we all want the best for our club.

COYG

Big Tatty 😀

Oi Chary,
    Where are you? Earlier I went through yesterday’s comments and tragically came across your utube piece. Its horrible, really awful racket, you bloody metallist. Innocent children go on utube and what exactly do you suppose will be the outcome of that?
    Another thing, I bloody well hope Peaches Mum wasn’t around yesterday, otherwise we are all buggered.

I know it’s a bit late but mjc was at the Cologne game on Sunday and had promised a match report which due to his beer consumption didn’t materialise until yesterday 🙂 I’m going to publish it now and then something else later on this morning ……

New Post ………….

Bobby, nah sorry, don’t follow at all.

“Seeming indifference to build on it” as in signing Podolski before the end of the season and Giroud on 26th June.
    Pah.

167. evonne says:

tit any of you see pictures of GM with Arteta ant Santi? Gosh, how lucky that was? I wonter if he asket them any questions, relating to football of course

168. Bobby says:

Chas, Podolski was good, but only one of several signings we needed to make and Giroud was a replacement for RvP.

169. Bobby says:

Gooner in Exile

Back to a net negative in spending for Stan’s two years….

170. […] The Calm Hand of Silent Stan « Arsenal Arsenal […]

171. ask says:

Good blog you have here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like yours these days.
    I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!