Has Arsenal already appointed its next manager?

With the Dutchman announcing he won’t sign a new contract and the Giro-Pod flexing its forearms, hell-bent on destroying premiership defences with its bare hands, it’s easy to see how Wenger’s potential nomination of his successor may have slipped through virtually unnoticed in this turbulent summer.

Arsène’s contract runs out on the 30th June 2014. He was quoted last season as ‘wanting to see out his contract’. This was under heavy fire both from the media and from the Arsenal doom squad fans after the club’s worst start to a season in recent memory, but could be taken to mean that he probably won’t renew after this period. It makes sense, if this is the case, to appoint a successor before leaving, thus providing both stability and continuity in a footballing environment which currently has neither.

Stephen Andrew Bould is 50 years old this year and first joined Arsenal in the summer of 1988 for the princely sum of £390,000 (approximately two weeks wages for some of the current mercenaries plying their trade for the light blue oily team). He played for the Gunners over 11 seasons, making a total of 372 appearances and scoring a majestic 8 goals.

Here’s one of Bouldy’s goals from 1991 at 1:36 in this clip. He obviously enjoyed those rare moments!

He won 3 League titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup in his Arsenal career. One of his outstanding highlights as a player came when he provided an Emmanuel Petit style pitching wedge of a chip to put his old mucker Tony Adams through, against Everton in 1998 which topped off a title-clinching 4-0 victory.

Bouldy moved briefly to Sunderland but was soon forced to retire in September 2000. He studied for his UEFA coaching badges and rejoined Arsenal, becoming coach for the youth teams. He was the head coach of Arsenal’s U18 Academy side whom he led to winning the Premier Academy League 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 and FA Youth Cup 2008-2009.

Summer 2012 arrived (well the summer months arrived anyway) and Pat Rice finally retired after 44 years at the club. Steve Bould is appointed assistant manager and immediately talk shifts to how Bouldy can reinforce the Arsenal defence which has shown a worrying trend of leaking more goals each season for the last few years.

When interviewed Steve Bould immediately gives off an air of calm and common-sense, in stark contrast to his old drinking buddy Tony Adams. He is steeped in the traditions that Arsene Wenger has laid as the foundations of the club for many years to come.

The next Arsenal manager? I think so.

Written by chas

167 Responses to Has Arsenal already appointed its next manager?

1. […] Has Arsenal already appointed its next manager? […]

2. Potter says:

Bouldy’s headed goal against Wednesday
    but what about Wrighty’s movement to make it. Oh what we are missing now.

3. mcconville365 says:

Here’s hoping Chas. A good Gooner is Bouldie. Lets keep it in the family. I’d like to see Dennis back with us. He looks to be doing a fine job and he doesn’t hold back when mentioning his desire to return. If Wenger were to choose then maybe, but banking on the current board to make that decision…….probably not.

4. fergalburger says:

Romantic and a nice idea, but he is pretty unproven and not a good ‘business’ deal for the club. A Rioch rather than a Wenger.

5. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas, I totally agree, the path we have now taken means to continue with least disruption requires someone from within.

Bouldy will be a good choice and one the fans will hopefully get behind….and it will be far more palatable than searching for the next big Euro manager who everyone thinks is a must sign.

6. SB says:

Him or Dennis.

7. oz gunner says:

Well said Chas, i never really gave it much thought but it makes perfect sense, and it’d make for quite a seamless transition.
    He knows the Arsenal way and has shown that with the youth so if it all works out, I love to see it. I’d like Arsene to continue for another contract at least though.

8. VCC says:

Morning Chas.
    Thats not a bad shout, Bouldy the next Manager of Arsenal. He won’t take any shit thats for sure.

I would not rule out Bergkamp.

9. Potter says:

DB 10’s lack of flying will stop him getting the top job. No 2 maybe.

10. evonne says:

Monster of a post!! Cheers mate
    I don’t know much about Bouldy, but I trust your judgement and look forward to seeing Mr B in action this season

11. evonne says:

Potter – nay, Denis can walk on water 🙂

12. VCC says:

evonne 10:31. How right you are.

13. Per Somers says:

I hope not Steve Bould is going to be next Arsenal manager,
    after Arsene Wenger going for retirement.
    If you look at old players as Tony Adams,Roy Keane, Steve Bruce,
    Paul Ince, Mark Hughes who have been Premier Leauge managers…..who havent been successful
    Some former players isn’t suppose to be managers……..
    its better to get a “real” substitute manager instead like Pep Guardiola

14. TotAl says:

Hi Enormous Arse aka Chas 🙂

Thanks for a fine post that smells and tastes of football again. What a nice guy Bouldie is: I am sure he’ll make a fine nr2.

Whether he wants to be nr1/ is nr1 potential remains to be seen. I have little doubt though Arsene will not leave us until his body tells him to do so. Arsenal are his life’s work and he ain’t finished yet! 🙂

15. goonermichael says:
  16. Red Arse says:

Chas,

I don’t know that Arsene will be ready to go quietly in a couple of years. I also don’t know whether Bouldy with limited managerial as opposed to coaching experience would be able to replace the master.

I do know he would give it his best go. 🙂

17. Tony says:

Good shout Chas, and thanks for the post..

Do i believe he will be our next number 1? Yes i do, unless of course he is asked and declines for whatever reason..

I believe we have touched on this topic in conversation here on AA and the romantic in me wishes that ‘Dennis be thy name’ be appointed as the main man to lead our troops but after thinking it through, it would be difficult to see him travelling by air for any European ties (yes, the Arse will continue to represent in C/L no matter who takes the reigns)..For that reason and for the continuation of our philosophy it will be Stevie B…

People will continue to throw up many names as they did when Pep gave it away at Farca, and guess what, for the life of me i dont know who this Tito Vilanova bloke is but everybody including Messi are more than happy for their assistant to take over at the club as it means they will continue with and prosper with their philosophy (and antics 😉 )..

Im sure that when the time comes, many names will be bandied around, such as Thierry, Dennis and so on but for the sake of continuation and the class that we carry ourselves and for the benefit and development of our young guns like Jack.. it will be Steve Bould..His apprenticeship starts yesteryear and im sure he will be F.I.N.E (F.**ked up, I.nsecure, N.eurotic and E.motional (thats a joke ;-))

If i can name a dark horse it will be Dragan Stojkovic, a man very very close to Arsene who was a great player under Wenger and has continued in the same vein as Wenger, philosophy and all, and is now a coach in Japan and believes in developing youth and stars rather than buying them..Plenty of similarities, talks to Arsene everyday about all things football and is also close to our first team coach Boro Primorac..

Ok, enough from me 🙂

@ FergalBurger,
    Tito Vilanova at barca is untried and untested and they chose the romantic route with as little fuss as possible so as not to upset the applecart..

I can guarantee you that this untried and untested coach will win a few trophies 😉

18. Tony says:

oh by the way, in saying all that mumbo jumbo, my ultimate dream would be for Arsene to extend his contract for a year or two..i think it would only be right that after steering this Arsenal ship through murky waters that he can reap the rewards from all his hard work and finally keep a team that he has built and win the Champions League before any dickhead comes to destroy his work…

Are you hearing me Roberto Mancini?….PISS OFF

19. richie says:

I like it that Arsene keeps the faith with our old guard, its an oppointment thats in line with our traditions as a club, and I think Bouldie is one hell of a nice guy, however. I seem to remember an article written by Chris (the gunning hawk) on his blog, sadly a no longer firing blog, in which Arsene named his prefered successor. Mr Wenger said he wanted Piksi (nickname) as his footballing philosophy mirrored his own almost exactly and it would be an almost seemless transition. Dragan Stojkovic AKA Piksi is a former red star belgrade player of some distinction who played under Arsene in Japan, and then following in Arsene’s foot steps managed in Japan with more success than Arsene winning the J league. So Bouldie as his No. 2 but Dragan as his No. 1.

20. Red Arse says:

TotAl,

Go away you pseudo AAer, and bring back my friend Total Arsenal, known to us affectionately as TA.

TA, you seem a bit glum since the ‘betrayal’ of your man RVP. Well, I have just the piece of poetry for you my man, read it carefully, then read it again, and you will be on the way to healing!! 🙂

The Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter,
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble,
    it’s a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love;
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
    keep peace in your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

That’s fabulous advice — I am sure you will agree!! 🙂

21. Tony says:

@ Richie, haha got in first with Piksi..one of the best players my eyes have ever seen

22. Tony says:

hi Redders, how are you?

That little piece @ 11.29am is, is… um, im lost for words..
    i love it and the more i read it, the more i realise it will become a favourite of mine..Even though it was meant for TotAl and Total Arsenal and TA, i thank you for putting it out there… 🙂

23. richie says:

Thats not to say I expect Arsene to go any time soon. I think he will stay, because he has unfinished business. There’s a league title to fight for, there are cups up for grabs and then there is Arsene’s and Arsenals holy grail. The CL . About which Chelski’s win can only encourage him. If a very average team playing crap (bus parking) football can win it, obviously we are all in with a chance. Its not Arsene’s time to go yet the fire still burns in his eye’s and as long as it does he’s still leading the Arsenal footballing revolution.
    And make no mistake from where we were to where we are is nothing short of a revolution. I may not have the supporting years TMHT has in the bank, I’ve only been standing (or seated these days) on the terraces since I was 6. So I’ve only got 47 years of Arsenal supporting expirence to fall back on, which might count for little, but I can attest to the total changes at our club since Arsene’s arrival.

24. richie says:

@Tony well done mate its me and my two finger typing that let me down. Mind you that was Bolt-ish. The speed in which got in there. Thats Bolt the dog. not the Yardie. 🙂

25. Tony says:

🙂

That’s a great post chas. I’ve never really heard Steve Bould speak before, but I was very impressed with his composure and clarity in the interview.

It’ll be a couple of years before AW goes I reckon and so if SB does well he will be in with a chance of becoming manager for sure. I too had heard that AW is a fan of Stojkovic. Who knows whether IG or AW will have the most influence on who becomes our next manager.

In fact, who knows what the relationshipo between IG and AW is at all? … topic for another post perhaps.

27. Red Arse says:

Hi Tony and Richie, 🙂

You both have put forward very interesting comments and try as I might I can find nothing to disagree with, and share your views about hoping AW will extend his contract!! 🙂

Tony, I love that poem too, and altho I often fail, I try to bear in mind the wonderful advice it gives, and go back every now and again to re-read it.

I forgot to say it was written by Max Ehrmann born in Indiana and written c 1933.
    It was not written to preach at anyone, which appeals to me, but summed up the virtues and characteristics he thought he himself did not always have.

I think he was wrong about himself — anyone who could write such wonderful stuff is AOK with me! 🙂

Hope all is well in Oz land!

Got to go — laters.

28. Gunner82 says:

A bit premature I think??? Let’s see If boulds methods work next season (defense) if so he could b the next manager if wenger doesn’t do a fergie and stay on for years to come.

29. TotAl says:

Hi RA 🙂 Glum moi?! Nah, just getting a bit bored now talking about football that does not involve a football (which is not a reflection on today’s excellent post by the Chas). 🙂

I remember you or dandan posting the ‘Desiderata’ poem on AA last year, and it is always nice to read it again. One of my former bosses had a copy on one of the walls of his office. Every time he lost his temper, composure or humility I kindly pointed him towards one of the lines in the Desiderata. The virtuous life does not know a smooth path! 🙂

The only thing that irritates me now re RvP is that it is not sorted yet. It feels like this could drag on all summer as Arsenal will try to get the best possible price for him. It will sap a lot of the club’s energy. Sell him quickly, give the armband to the right man, buy one or two more players as soon as possible, and work on our formation and system of football with full concentration for the rest of the summer. Simples 😛

Thanks Chas. Dont know who the next manager will be but i do have a child like hero worshipness of Bouldy. The one thing that sticks out was the ecwc semii when he was winding up Ginola at a corner, calling him big nose and ugly. This unfortunitly had Merse cracking up so hard that he lost concentration and big nose scored. Terrible at the time, but hysterical now. hahahaha

Oz, thanks for the rap dude. Ime gona use that next time ime on the prowl. Will let you know if it works. hahaha.

Richie, you got more years in the bank than me. Was it my sage like words of wisdom or this guy writes so much crap he must be senile the poor old sod, that made you think i was older. hahaha

31. Umar zaji says:

God bles u bould. We hope you should b beter than wenger

32. barumgooner says:

Nice post Chas. I think and hope that Bould makes a good job of no2 and think he probably will end up as manager one day but not in two years. Cant see Wenger going until either Bould is proven and ready or if he fails then Denis will be tried. Either way I believe Arsene will re-sign and stay for an additional 2yrs. Fantastic to have him in the role, always one of my favourite players and a man who is used to winning and needs it, lets hope he can give a bit of that attitude and mentality to the current squad.

33. evonne says:

Umar – you forgot the word EVEN, ie ‘We hope you should be EVEN better than Wenger’

34. TotAl says:

I would not bother Evonne! 😛

35. barumgooner says:

Continuity was mentioned a lot in the interview and it is exactly where we have failed on the pitch. Hopefully Arsene has realised the error of his ways in allowing the winning teams to be disbanded and sold-off too soon. Hopefully by bringing back the likes of Bould into the first team and somewhere down the line Denis and Thierry we will re-introduce the pride and honour in the players. For a long time now we have looked like a collection of young-foreign imports just using the club as a stepping-stone or even worse the less-than-quality imports using it as an easy pay-day.

36. jeff smith says:

Anyone can be a manager. The thing is you have to start winning games.If you are able to win the epl that means you a winner and clubs will fight for your services.
    By any stretch of the imagination,why Wenger has been able to hang on so long without winning any trophy for 7 years is mystifying.When the RVP saga is over to silence his critics he better start winning the A or epl trophies.

37. barumgooner says:

Jeff, I agree with a lot of what you say and most clubs would have sacked a manager after such a barren spell. However you have to take into account the fact that due to the cost of the re-location AW has had to use players of a lower quality than required to win the league, his remit has been until now that of keeping the club stable and in a cl spot whilst operating on the bare minimum of outlay. This he has achieved and for that he deserves a lot of credit because few managers would be able to do it and even fewer would choose it over other contracts which he could have taken from other clubs. Hopefully this financilly-restricted strategy will come to an end soon and AW can start to build a side capable of winning again. I think the club(board) are starting to realise this and I genuinely believe we have the makings of a good squad and winning times are not too far away.

This is just plain wrong.

I predicted that city would sell ade very cheaply to s****s to subsidise his wages and enable them to pay him a wacking great signing on fee – and according to LadyArse, that is exactly what they’ve done.

We lose out on money from our selling on clause and they strengthen a team that is not a threat to them

…. here’s the link….

39. evonne says:

TA – the day I will not bother about Arsenal will be the day I die. How dramatic is that 🙂
    Funny how AA spilled the beans – he announced on Twitter that Capello will be the next Russian manager. Small guy with a big gob

40. oz gunner says:

@ Rasp

it’s ridiculous! I thought it was bad enough when they were paying part of his wages during the loan, but now this! How can they get away with it? It’s a bloody contract for a reason. He should be going for 15-20 million now we get screwed a lot of money because they gave him a ridiculous contract!

@ RA

great piece of writing, I’ll have to jot that down myself

41. TotAl says:

Evonnesque 🙂

Small guy with a big gob! hahaha. He is simply desperate for attention our Andrey.

I meant don’t bother arguing with a one-liner blogger!

42. Tony says:

Hi Rasp,
    I was under the impression that to get any money from a sell on clause, x player would have to be sold for more than we got for him? Barn door was never ever gonna fetch more than 25mil…

(apologies in advance if im wrong and look like an utter tool)

43. evonne says:

Chas – a question for you – how did you sneak in that clip of Tony Adams into an article about Bould?

Bould was born in Stock, yuk

44. evonne says:

Total – GM is a one-line blogger and we all love him, don’t we?

45. Tony says:

Hi Evonne and TotAl,
    Now you both know i have a soft spot for ‘the tsar of melancholy’, but do you see the irony in AA23 spilling the beans on the Capello/ Russsia job?… Every time he celebrates a goal he firmly puts a finger to his mouth in the ‘shoosh’ position…

I take it he is not scoring many goals these days (ozil eyes here)

46. evonne says:

Tony – he’s a bloody hipocrite 🙂
    Let’s wait and watch Rasp jumping to his defence

47. oz gunner says:

@ Tony

as far as I’m aware that isn’t a rule. I think it comes down to what was written in the contract. Most times you hear about it in regards to young players (Solidarity contribution- If a professional football player transfers to another club during the course of a contract, 5% of any transfer fee, not including training compensation paid to his former club, shall be deducted from the total amount of this compensation and distributed by the new club as a solidarity contribution to the club(s) involved in his training and education over the years.)

But if a clause is written in the contract it does not matter what Ade goes for.

I mean if we slapped a 10% sell on clause we get $500 000, if he went somewhere else for 15-20 (obviously can’t because of his ridiculous salary then we’d get 1.5-2 million).

So basically Ade and Man City have screwed us again

48. oz gunner says:

* This solidarity contribution reflects the number of years he was registered with the relevant club(s) between the seasons of his 12th and 23rd birthdays

49. Tony says:

Hi Oz,
    ahh i see..Thanks for the clarification mate..this situation stinks..Also, i havn’t figured it out yet but this might be another loop hole in FFP, maybe for the smaller teams (spudz and err spudz)? ( ‘havn’t figured it out’ and ‘might’ being the key words 😉 )

50. richie says:

Sorry TMHT @12:55 Its me thats old and bloody senile I got mixed up between you Kelsey and this fella Terry Garratt. I saw Kelsey’s gravitar and figured he must have more years in the bank than all of us 🙂 Then read Mr Garratt and mistook one Terry (with 56 years in past subs) for the next. Mistaking one Terry for another is a very dangerous business at the moment. I mean if I heard you call someone a “Black C U Next Tuesday” I might reasonably think you yourself were “a right rotten no good Racist C U Next Tuesday”! But, your not apparently, well not according to “Howard” the Chief Magistrate at Westminster. Although its a right “Riddle” to everyone including JT himself how your not? But then again JT’s mate Cashley says how can JT be a racist if he likes me? Answers only accepted on recycled toilet paper addressed to FA please.

51. Tony says:

Richie 🙂

52. evonne says:

richie – a few years ago there was a statement on Wiki about Cashley’s marriage, ie ‘Marriage of convinience, she is a racist (charged with racism in 2003) and he is gay’. The statement disappeared vey quickly 🙂

53. Tony says:

I wonder how many hits this article has recieved? i can see it has made it to the “top stories” in the right hand column in ‘news now’.

Well done Chas, wouldn’t have anything to do with the heading, would it? 😉

54. richie says:

@Total 2:00 By the look of that photo its poor Bouldie that’ll retire first! It was a hard life playing for Gorgeous George and being mates with Tony A its clearly taken its toll!!!
    Mind you I feel my age remembering watching all that Catenaccio Italian style football Bouldie & Co played under GG. Following on from yesterdays blog, I’d love to see us win a box of bloody chocolates at the moment but not if we returned to that, even for me that would be a bridge too far.

Hi richie, no worries mate, i can see how it can get confusing. I get confused all the time, who am i?, whats my name?, were do i live?, did i realy marry you? hahahaha, that sort of thing.

Dont see how we got mugged off with the Adebyor sell. Its Totnumb that have been mugged, the blokes shit.

56. TotAl says:

Evonnesque, GM does many one-liners which totally excludes him from the category of one-liner bloggers I have been mentioning: they come, spew out a line and go, never to be seen again. They are one-night stand keyboard heroes and it is best not to engage with them at all, unless you’re…. 😉

57. richie says:

@evonne4:18 come on then girl get your finger out! Find the statement and we can revive it, with any luck it eminated from somewhere in Ca”PiT”ain JT’s direction. 😉 Where there’s smoke and all that 🙂 I mean thats a revival meeting I wanna be at.

58. TotAl says:

Hi Tony, so true. I wonder who he is shushing when he does that; his inner demons maybe? What do you reckon will happen with him: stay, gets sold or go on loan again?

59. Gooner In Exile says:

“Per Somers says:
    July 14, 2012 at 10:52 am
    I hope not Steve Bould is going to be next Arsenal manager,
    after Arsene Wenger going for retirement.
    If you look at old players as Tony Adams,Roy Keane, Steve Bruce,
    Some former players isn’t suppose to be managers……..
    its better to get a “real” substitute manager instead like Pep Guardiola”

That’s Pep Guardiola who played 384 times for Barca winning 6 la liga titles, 2 cops del rays, 1 european cup,1 cup winners cup? Yep players don’t make good managers.

Or Roberto Mancini….or Frank Rijkard…yep good players don’t make good managers.

60. TotAl says:

Hi Richie, fully agreed on winning something in style rather than the catenaccio way. Who wants a box of quality street when you can have a tray of coquelicot de Nemours!

61. barumgooner says:

Is that even legal ? Surely there will be a conflict of interests when the teams play each other, which employer is he playing for ? Or would he not be allowed to play against City ?

62. richie says:

Interesting news that the young box to box Dutch midfielder that we signed from Feyenoord a year and more ago Kyle Ebeccillio trained with the 1st team. Is this Bouldie’s idea? He’s been coaching him for a while and other members of staff have said expect good things from to come from KE. Do we need another MF’er?

63. Tony says:

@TotAl,
    I have a suspicion that he is still good enough to move on and for a reasonable fee.His position in our squad is more than covered, however, the depth in the squad isnt..

I believe we will wait to see who we can maybe bring in before we get rid..There are plenty more players in the squad that Arsene would like to see moved on before him (in terms of quality) but in terms of wages and recovering some funds back he is definately a gooner, i mean GONER 😉

@GiE 4.49pm, SO so true and so very funny the way you manage to put people back in their place.

64. barumgooner says:

I dont think there’s any chance of returning to the GG football (although I must admit that I didnt mind at the time). But the fact that they won or lost as a team and everyone gave their all is what made them special. I think Bouldy,Adams and co would have jumped on a grenade in the area if they thought it would protect the goal.

65. Tony says:

How is this Wiggins bloke doing in the TDF? Is he still a chance of winning it?

it would be pretty cool if he fashioned a ‘mind the gap’ shirt over the line rather than the yellow jersey

66. TotAl says:

Tony, I could see him go to an oil club in Europe this summer: PSG or Malaga. In a way, I wish he would be given 3 competitive games in a row in the ‘hole role’, just to proof himself once and for all. But I reckon he simply has not got the stamina and 90-minutes- concentration for such an important role.

67. bakrima says:

The Natural successor to Arsene Wenger who has reached the end of his contribution and failing to take arsenal forward is Guardiola after finishing his sebetical leave at the end of this year .

68. Tony says:

TotAl,
    PSG are buying top shelf these days (Ibra and T.Silva) and will be fighting on all fronts for trophies, Malaga maybe as they are still finding their feet in that regard and i believe it will be another season or two in transition for them before they realistically challenge..
    In saying that though, i think both clubs along with Arsenal are beyond him and even if he were given that chance at Arsenal he would need a whole week recovery between games (no European ties) and he would struggle past the 60min mark, especially in the EPL, the most demanding league in the world..

He was a talent no doubt, but he would need to play in a team full of fit youngsters willing to run and defend for him or except that he is only good as a bit part player..

If we fail to offload him, i would use him solely in the Champions league where games are more cagey and his skills of unlocking defences would come in handy. Que sera sera 🙂

69. Tony says:

Bakrima,
    Pep will be at Chelski before the January window opens..these are all his signings not Di Matteos.. (each to their own)

70. Tony says:

except= accept

71. TotAl says:

Good points Tony 🙂

I think PSG offer the strongest lure to Wenger that we have ever had to worry about.

I would love to see Guardiola at Chelsea. Never in the last decade has there been such an over rated manager.

74. glic says:

chas
    Thanks for a return to a more easy on the eye post, luv it .
    Not that I dont appreciate the hard work of some of the recent posts, they have been expertly written, but some are more akin to a bemusing epic novel than a post for a Sun reader like me ( you can include Talk Sport listener aswell ), so that obviously puts me in a minority. 🙂
    Bouldy ?, dont know, but would be nice.
    Someone will probably correct me on this, but I seem to remember a few years ago, Overmars was naming his World best side and it came as a shock to everyone that Bouldy was in it ( and the only Arsenal player in it, I think ).

75. Tony says:

LB,
    PSG have Ancelotti as manager and Leonardo as sporting director, its Ac Milan number 2, they are even buying up all their players.. Lets hope Ancelotti wins plenty of domestic titles…that should keep their paws away from our Arsene for a while..

Tony

Thanks, I was, of course, aware who the manager of PSG is but I do share your hope that they win many a domestic trophy. Because the problem, as I see it, would be the departure of Ancelotti, due to lack of success, coinsiding with Wenger’s contract being up at THOF.

Thanks for all the great comments.
    I’ve been out all day and didn’t know the post was ‘going to print’, so apologies for not being about.

Potter,
    We could have David Hillier back, too!

Evonne,
    It wasn’t a Tony Adams clip, the goal was made by Bouldy’s through ball. 🙂

I know someone who I trust implicitly who met Tony Adams recently and Adams claims that he was offered Pat Rice’s job ahead of Steve Bould but turned it down as he didn’t want to assist anymore.

79. richie says:

@ TotAl 4:53 When I’m in France I tend to stay in Paris. I only know where Nemours is because in 88 I drove an hour out of Paris along the A6 to watch Auxerre vs Monaco and while heading out that way somewhere between the two I passed the above. I like a bar of Chocolate every now and then, but petals from Nemours isn’t something I’m up on. In Paris I’d probably buy from Le Notre, but if I bought a box for anyone I’m a Belgian Leonidas fan. Enough of that I’ll have great difficulty finding a decent bar with which to quench my lust.

Now T Auxerre is the the Robin Hood storey of French football, their manager old Guy Roux’s academy helped a little country Arse’d village compete with the big boys for years without any money at all, producing the likes of Cantona along the way. Auxerre is about the size of Banbury in Oxfordshire. Their ground capacity is about 25K and it was only ever full with away supporters, yet this team punched way above their weight for years. Their manager like ours is special, well he was he’s retired now. He sold begged borrowed and stole to keep his academy going. He was a real legend and he achieved great things with little Auxerre, a little bit like Cloughy at Forrest.

80. Gooner In Exile says:

As far as I can tell Adams only assisted once (‘Arry at Portsmouth).

I don’t doubt Adams wants the big jobs but he really hasn’t done any ground work, (ie coaching youth teams etc) so I think he will struggle to get the jobs he desires.

Team versus Anderlecht

11 SANTOS, ANDRE

ANGHA, MARTIN

20 DJOUROU, JOHAN

16 HAJROVIC, SEAD

OLSSON, KRISTOFFER

82. James says:

Kind of feel that he could do it like a guardiola at Barcelona person who loves the club its probably a bit overhyped to say that but would love if thats how it worked out coming up from teaching the youths to run the first team

83. glic says:

Looking at that list.
    Still a few “deadwoods” at the club then !. 😆

chas, ive decided who i want as our new manager, “Gunter Nietcherburg”, ok, Gunter Nietcherburg dosnt exsist but my point is “Arsene who”?.

I think when the time comes, and hopefully it wont be for a long time, then the new guy might surprise us, and after Arsenes appointment not been a household name wont worry me in the slightest.

Brendan ‏@AFC_93
    Gibbs started the move making a great interception and found Jenkinson
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    1m Brendan ‏@AFC_93
    Jenkinson great cross for the goal
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    2m Brendan ‏@AFC_93
    Lansbury!
    Reply Retweet Favorite

The kit looks quite nice. Red socks I particularly like.

91. glic says:

Are we getting 2 match reports tomorrow ?, or more Heiroglyphics which only Redders can understand . 🙂

94. Podge says:

Didn’t Wenger say he wanted Dragon Stojkovic as his successor? Relatively unknown to Europeans as a manager but has had great success in Japan does things very like Wenger.

I don’t expect Wenger to continue after his contract ends if Arsenal win a trophy by then.

96. evonne says:

Chas – I have been thinking about your post (beautifully written BTW). Do you really think that Bould has enough experience to manage AFC?? Not even a couple of years with Le Boss will equip him with the necessary. So when exactly do you think Bould will start managing Aresenal?

Two years learning directly from Le Boss might be enough. 🙂

Gooooaaaall

112096 sopcast looks ok for the boxing.

We lost the pen shootout but still win the trophy apparently!

105. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks for the commentary Chas and vids.

Good to see Gerv cut inside and shoot.

106. Gooner In Exile says:

GD?

107. Josep “Pep” Guardiola NEXT

Presumably, GIE.
    I suppose the shootout was for the fans. All pens scored except Ebecilio last one which grazed the outside of the post.

Hans,
    LB thinks Pep is overrated.
    He’ll eat his cycling shorts if he’s wrong.

Off to watch the boxing.
    Au revoir.

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Enjoy the fight Chas.

We can sell Ebecilio then.

112. Can anyone write a quick post for tomorrow, the cupboard is bare ………..

113. GD says:

Think your way off the mark to be honest.
    I read an indepth interview with Steve Bould in the programme at one of the games last year and he said that management isn’t for him because he hates the limelight, and he likes coaching because it allows him to pass on his knowledge and experience but in a role more in the background. So that doesn’t sound like he’d want to manage one of the biggest clubs in Europe to me, would be a massive U-turn

114. Gooner In Exile says:

This is the song for Gerv

115. Gooner In Exile says:

116. I’m on it Peaches

117. Suberu akeem qudus says:

If arsenal’s defence concedes less goals this season, i think we could relate that to bouldy’s effort and that could really put him in line for the job

118. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Good post Chas…cheers.

Interesting comment from GD at 9.27. Seems to fit with SB’s demeanour in the interview above. Having said that he’s hardly likely to be talking about his desire to replace Arsene is he….lol

Do we get match highlights tomorrow..??

119. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Hope you enjoyed the fight Chas..I know I did.

One thing that puzzled me a little was the referees stoppage of the fight with Chisora stood quite erect (no not like that Evonne!*) in front of him, and only a few seconds til the end of the round. Wy not let an old warrior like that cover up til the ed of the round, and see how he recovers (or not?) in the break

Maybe Chisora’s eyes told a story that we couldn’t see. To be fair Chisora wasn’t complaining too much afterwards.

* A (belated) warm welcome back to the FHWP, sincere apologies to Peaches Mum, and thanks again to those AA’ers who turned me on to LOF. It shows absolutely everything thats out there

120. Gooner In Exile says:

Sharkey I think ArsenalPlayer shows highlights tomorrow.

121. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Cheers GiE…and belated congrats on your fantastic news. Best of luck with all that….mainly to your Mrs more than you though. Bringing forth your progeny will be no mean feat.

My money’s on 10lbs+ 😉

122. oz gunner says:

@ Barum 4.59

You would think not, it reminds me of the rule that got put in place for the 2008/2009 season because of the controversy surrounding tevez and third party ownership. But who knows, these days in football you can do anything if you’ve got the money to do so.

Dear Mancini,

Could you please buy Messi, goetze, lahm, and schweinsteiger and then sell them to us on the cheap because we can’t (in fact no one can) afford their wages? If you do this we promise to only beat you by 2 goals next season, not 3-4 like we were doing to. We will also let you win the carling cup, nothing else though because the champions league, fa cup, and league are ours.

Thanks you ponce,

kind regards,
    Arsene

@ LB

i agree, pep is overrated. Anyone could have managed that team to success. He will pick his next team carefully (based on trophy winning capacity) because he doesn’t have what it takes to make a team or bring them glory (unless $$$$ are used), he will be another Jose Mourinho

123. Gooner In Exile says:

😀 Sharkey thanks…I think that’s slowly sinking in for Mrs Exile 🙂

124. richie says:

@TMHT 7:16 I remember only too well that vitually nobody knew who Arsene Wenger was in England (Knowing this Gooner spoke French having lived there for a carpet and didn’t stop banging on about all the great French players I’d seen while there) Just before the anouncement my phone didn’t stop ringing, as you said it was all “Arsene Who”?”Wenger What”?”Managed Where”?”Won What with Who”?”When”?”Will He”? “Won’t He”? “Whats He Like”?

I told everyone the same thing, in France he’s very well know as the manager who took Monaco to the French title in 88 playing a version of total football and then on to the win the French cup, lost to the Germans in the cup winners cup final. Got knocked out of the CL semi finals by Milan (eventual winners) and is famous in France for 3 things. 1st playing great attacking football, 2nd for discovering unknown players like the great George weah and 3rd for developing youngsters. But I ain’t seen or heard anything of him since the Tapie scandal broke in 94 I’d heard he was disillusioned with football. (basically Bernard Tapie owner of Marsielle, Monaco’s big rival was found out and went to prison for buying them the title). They said Wengers coming to us and I said fantastic.

If Arsene wants to name Dragan Stojkovic as his successor then thats good enough for me! For all those who for some strange reason think Arsene isn’t going to sign a new contract, I remember him saying on French TV during these past Euro’s that, although he’s been in his current position for some considerable time, he’s not contemplating retirement or a chance of sceenary, he joked I admire managers who loyally stay in their positions for many years. The presenter said “Com Alex Ferguson”? And Arsene replied “Oui exactement pour qua pas” “As long as I comtinue to love what I do and as long as the Arsenal board still want me I’m liable to continue”

125. jeff smith says:

I can’t wait for another guy to take over. wengr is still stuck in the sand. I fear he will cause Arsnal terminal decline before the board finally sack him.

I was wondering how many of the Newsnow clicks this post has received were from those hoping we’d dropped Wenger and appointed a replacement.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

127. oz gunner says:

Morning all

I agree Chas, i was dubious at first but I’m sold on it now. Just not to sure who to get on the back. Was set on RVP, but i think it’s a toss up between verm and kozzer.

@ Jeff

well said…no wait you’re an idiot!

Oz,
    I’d get McMahon. 🙂

129. oz gunner says:

haha how’d you know that?

Morning chas, your post has received 18,000 hits so far – the 2nd highest ever (Rocky wrote one that received over 25k).

I agree that many of the hits would have been from people hoping that it was heralding AW’s departure

131. VCC says:

Chas. How about Steve McClaren? 😉

132. oz gunner says:

woah and only 137 comments, looks like a lot of peoples hopes were dashed when they read it haha. I still remember the ‘Arsenal and Bok Choy’ post, i thought that would of generated heaps

133. Red Arse says:

Chas 😜
    Lof = liveonlinefooty

You’ve posted with that name before and your gravatar has it in the address bar.
    Apart from that, I’m psychic.
    Off for a sweat.

cheers RA,
    I should have known.
    I always seem to be able to get what I want elsewhere, so I might as well leave LOF for someone else who can’t.

Oz,
    ….and 50 of those were my match comments last night.

Bye

136. oz gunner says:

I thought you were for a moment, bloody wordpress, there goes my chance to team up with syrup and erectile man!

137. oz gunner says:

how can silva pen a 5-year deal at the end of June but then sign a 5-year deal for PSG in July. Further reinforces that contracts mean bugger all.

138. jeff smith says:

If Wenger had gone to another club he will find out the board aint as patient as Arsenal’s.Can anyone remeber Gross and later on the Spaniard at Spurs.If I aint wrong,both were fired mid way thru their first year.
    Surely this coming season shd be his final wake up call. The onus is on him to win the games. I believe all fans have enough of his excuses.There are plenty of ex managers of proven track record. Some have even won the cl.So no one is indispensable.

139. oz gunner says:

@ Jeff

* list some names then
    * who else could have pulled us out of last season’s horrible start?
    * who else could get us champions league football constantly with a new stadium?

He’s by no means perfect, then again who is? But he is the right man for the job and the right man to take us to the top again. Solidarity is the key at the moment, not swapping managers like Liverpool, tottenham and chelsea

140. Gooner In Exile says:

Jeff, you do understand that Arsene has stayed and delivered hat the Board have asked with relatively limited funds (in comparison to other top clubs). Every other club that ever expressed an interest in him would have given him the resources the kind he has when he first came to us, before Abramovich moved the goalposts on what is required in football finance.

Rasp post in drafts I just did a final update. Check date before posting as final edit was done on WordPress iOS app.

Morning all …..

….. New post ……

142. Jkaps says:

Arsene wenger should leave the club bcoz he has done his best and the club should stop selling top class players.

143. brendan says:

Wenger and fergi should trade follow me on twitter of u think so

144. You can definitely see your skills within the work you write.
    The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

GiE
    David Bentley, of course 🙂

146. We ordinarily get 100ds of spam e-mail each individual thirty day period offering their
    Web optimization providers to us. Just make confident they
    are truly relevant and not there just to get you meaningless
    visitors that will die quicker than later.

147. I for all time emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, since if like
    to read it next my contacts will too.

148. I do agree with all the ideas you’ve offered in your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are too brief for beginners. May you please lengthen them a
    little from next time? Thank you for the post.

149. Wonderful, what a website it is! This web site presents useful information to us, keep it up.

150. Why visitors still make use of to read news papers
    when in this technological world everything is available on
    net?

151. Johnny Rapid says:

Hello would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Kudos, I appreciate it!

152. ROZYCKI says:

Excellent stuff . Will it be ok to share this website and tell friends on Linkedin ?

153. It happens to be a good in addition to useful part of information and facts. I’m just grateful that you choose to distributed this useful data with us. Remember to stop us up-to-date similar to this.. Business, Executive, Corporate, Personal, Development, Coaching Appreciation for revealing.

154. Asking questions are actually nice thing if you are not
    understanding anything fully, however this article presents pleasant understanding even.

155. I just added this blog to my feed reader, excellent stuff. Cannot get enough!

156. This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your
    great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

157. Elane says:

There are many uses with the exercise equipment effectively, given that
    the settings are adjustable. The most common strength
    of icariin is 10%, this can be found in most health stores and supermarkets and is normally grown in places like America and Europe where the PH levels of the soil and nutrient balance is not correct for potent icariin strengths of Horny Goat Weed.
    When purchased through a Team Beachbody Coach, a band will be included with your purchase.

158. Remarkable things here. I’m very happy to look your article.

Thanks so much and I am looking ahead to contact you. Will you
    please drop me a mail?

159. The Cost HR is pitched at energetic users who do an affordable amount of train, however
    are not fanatical about tracking that knowledge.

160. Dermefface FX7 might be bought straight from their official web site or from any of
    the popular online stores like Amazon.