Where is The Magic Hat?

7 years. We have all heard it, we are all suffering from the jibes and the media make sure it repeated regularly. What has happened?

Many on the site will have sung with gusto:-

“Georgie Graham’s Magic,

He wears a Magic Hat,

And when he saw the F A Cup,

He said Β I’m having that”

If you look carefully, BR is just below GG’s shoulder!

Of, course, in later years Arsene Wenger inherited the song.

With the FAC this Saturday and another year of non-Arsenal interest, I question what is going wrong? How can a team as talented as ours, with as many outstanding players as we have, won zip for so long? Quite frankly, it is not good enough.

We have many discussions about evaluating what is success; for example, would we swap Liverpool’s season for ours – they stand on the brink of equalling our Double Cup win, yet lie outside the European places and a huge 34 points behind Manchester? What will the records show? They will show a successful 2012 for the Scousers. Arsenal can point to another season of “development”.

We can all list a litany of excuses; the stadium, the CL involvement, Project Youth, financial restrictions, bad luck, injuries etc but the sad fact is that during our barren run even Spurs have won a trophy! Β A Div 1 team have won a trophy (don’t bother looking it up – it was Portsmouth) and so have a Championship side (surely you recall that one 😦 ).

So, why aren’t we winning silverware and how do we remedy this sorry state of affairs? Β I will let you into a secret – Mr Wenger has no idea and neither do I. We both need some input as to how to remedy the problem.

Can you help?

Written by BigRaddy

278 Responses to Where is The Magic Hat?

1. dandan says:

From this mornings post.

Hmmm Mickeythinkwebothdidit….. I compared Diaby to RVP

As for the old daysVCC dont remember the Police band or Police Constsable Alex Morgan the singing copper, or having to cough up Five bob to get in. Nahhhhhh dont remember any of that Couldnt write a post like that. πŸ™‚ remember the hot bovril though

2. Quite simple Raddy, We stay outside of the CL spaces for a few years and we will win a domestic Cup !.

So what do we want, a domestic Cup or CL ?.

3. dandan says:

O my god Raddy my friend what have you done, get your head down, the site will be kicked to death today . Magic hat you gonna need a tin helmet πŸ™‚

DD. πŸ˜€

I wrote this early this morning and hadn’t decided whether to keep it or bin it.

Peaches made the decision for me!!

5. oz gunner says:

i agree with Dandanite, i hope today BR stands for Battle Ready!

Personally i think it’s something that can’t be explained, a mixture of everything has conspired against us over the last few years. It’s ok now though because we are not far off from cleaning up the competition.

@ Glic

i’m still laughing over that comment from monday (‘i’m so handsome…kiss chasey with myself…) bloody brilliant!!

6. Gus says:

I can only speak for myself, but I can wait for a trophy. This weekend I met a man who has never missed game home or away for his team since 1979. In that time they have won nothing but his enthusiasm has never wavered. He told me something that every fan should know, this vital piece of wisdom: whoever you support, it is entirely possible that your team will never win anything in your lifetime. This is a liberating realisation. It freed me from some of the angst felt from being a humble powerlwess fan. Only once you realise this scary thought can you come to truly appreciate how special a trophy is.

Last year I was distraught after the cc final, I was really depressed. But my consolation was that when we finnaly break this drought it will be all the more special.

7. Slimgingergooner says:

If Portsmouth and Birmingham have won trophies then the excuses of financial restraints, moving stadium etc etc are all void.

It comes down to one thing, winning the important games. We have had plenty of opportunities to go far in cup competitions but have always come up short. It’s been the same in the league. How many times in recent years have we won the ‘must-win’ games?

8. William says:

Arsenal play in a straight forward manner which is easy to counter.I don’t know but the counter atack from gunners is slow. Watch how Stoke scored aganst Everton and you wil know what I mean.The Stoke player was one against two defenders.
    When Arsenal pass the ball around the box,they are confronted by eight to ten players and the gunners pass all over the placeand when the attack breaks down,the swift counter and the ball is in the gunners net.So easy with time and acres of space. Wigan did it and if Wenger aint careful,he could be punished by Norwich and WBA.Then third or even fourth will be gone.
    I don’t want to sound pessimistic but this scenario can happen.

9. Gooner In Exile says:

Where is the magic hat?

It was lost in the move to the Emirates πŸ™‚

But seriously I just look at where’s, why’s, how’s and then point at the referees.

10. Gus says:

I have a feeling that this summer is vital for both the immediate future but also the direction of the club in the next few years.
    Signings yes, but just as importantly contracts, sellings of deadwood or stagnated players and promotion and loaning of youngsters.

11. Gooner In Exile says:

Gus that sir is a very wise friend you have

12. Vamsi says:

“Gooner In Exile says” you are right I can’t see this “referees decisions evens out over the season” thing in case of arsenal. manU get penalty decisions for even diving and arsenal doenst get if its blatant pen.

Thanks Raddy, your question opens the door for the usual range of accusations and what some would describe as excuses. The headline is unlikely to attract the nbame callers so hopefully the trash button will go unused in dealing with responses.

I think the there are 3 main reasons we haven’t won trophies:

1. We prioritise the league and CL

2. Some of our second string players have not been good enough

3. We’ve been very unlucky with injuries to key players for the last 4-5 years

14. oz gunner says:

i think it all points to Arsene not spending a million more on Alonso!

15. Ezigbo onyearse says:

probably with a proven attacking midfielder the last piece of the puzzle will be completed relegating ramsey to a squad member,poldi will do the same to theo..We ll be contenders again

16. Gooner In Exile says:

So trophies?

In my lifetime as an Arsenal supporter:

1985 – 2012 (27years) – 5 Leagues, 5 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 Cup Winners Cup

13 honours, 1 every 2 years, I’ll take that.

A Spud in the same period:

1 FA Cup 2 League cups

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

You’d need to find me a 70 year old Spud who actually can remember seeing them win the league.

Ok Chelsea:

3 Leagues, 5 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 Cup Winners Cup

Liverpool:

3 Leagues, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Cup

City:

1 FA Cup

United:

12 leagues, 5 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, Champions League 1, Cup Winners Cup 1

So apart from United I am worried about lack of trophies….not really I’ve had my share of memories and I know they’ll be more along the way.

17. goonermichael says:

Raddy
    Is that your opinion or are you being provocative? I wouldn’t swap our manager, our season or any of our players with the bindippers.

18. Gooner In Exile says:

Oz your wrong it was not paying the extra Β£100k for Schwarzer.

Make that Friedel when Lehmann left GiE and I’d make you right πŸ˜‰

I certainly think Almunia lost us at least one league title.

20. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

haha how could i forget. Surely this season’s lack of trophies was down to not spending a few dollars more on mata though!

Cheers, BR.
    To win a cup you need a slice of good fortune.
    CL qualification any day for me.

GIE, are you counting 07/08 as one which we should have won?

22. Gooner In Exile says:

I’d be interested in some probability stats, but can’t get my head round how to combine probabilities. (I just googled it and now have a headache). So any maths/stats wiz here can you help.

Let’s say the PL has 4 potential winners each year, the CL has 8, the FA Cup has 10 and the League Cup has 20. Obviously each competition is easy to work out the probability.

And we are part of the possible winners group. What is the mathematical probability that we could win one per season, bearing in mind each competition is exclusive. Cue RA to confuse me further (I just want the probability πŸ˜€ )

23. henrychan - indonesia says:

Big Randy.. I think, It’s all about our phylosophy.. attacking football.. We never have other options.. Even if we are not in a good shape to do it..
    We never play like Chelsea did to Barca, or MU tried to City lastweek..
    And for that we loved (atleast me) and always love Arsenal..

The problem is our skuad not good enough to always stay on that performance.. We don’t have an equal backup attacking midfielders and sure also defenders.
    The main problem as we all know is cause by injury of our main skuad..

So.. Bring in some wonderful attacking midfielders and defenders will be a very good idea.
    And I wish it will happen next season.. and it seem to go that way.. Vertonghen, Yanga mbiwa, Kagawa, Dempsey, Belhanda, M’villa, Hazzard and Martinez.. are very much qualified..
    One defender and two midfielders will be wonderful..

For tonigth we will see Chelsea, Newc, and Spurs battle for the 4th.. and chasing us in the 3rd..
    I wish chelsea and newc will draw.. And Spurs will lose (at least draw) to Bolton. So that Arsenal will easily win the 3rd..

Go Gunners..

24. Dandan says:

Oh dear GIE, now you have done it as a gooner from a spud household I well remember the spuds doing the double in 61 and the stick I took. Ten years later we did it and that day as I watched at the lane is etched on my soul.

My spud bro phoned me from Spain yesterday and told me they would be third this year. Cos array was staying. He does suffer poor lad.
    By the way which of our legal eagles was it on here who told us over a year ago that the FA would never accept arry, boy was he right.

25. Gooner In Exile says:

Don’t know what you mean Chas

(I love edit power) πŸ˜€

Seriously though I was going to discuss that season in my first comment, that one and last season are in my opinion the two that got away considering our starts.

If onlys are horrible but there were a few refereeing decisions in both seasons that could have won it for us

26. goonermichael says:

When the season is over we will have the same number of trophies as one of the Manchester clubs. I doubt they would swap with Liverpool either

Thanks for the post Raddy

Trophies? The desire to win things should always be there, but this must always be looked at in context as to were you are in the present. In the last seven years the accumalation of honours has not been important to me. What has been important is a smooth transition from the old stadium to new, harmony at board room level, especialy now we have a new majority shareholder, no interference on Arsene and his coaching staff, and most importantly that we remain true to the virtues and values that make Arsenal a great club and maintain semblences of our proud identity.

I do not say the above because of some deluded romantic vision of what i believe Arsenal to be, i say it because these are the foundations that will bring us the trophies we all crave, and it will begin next season and continue for a long long time.

28. Dandan says:

Hehehe the spell check on my I pad keeps changing arry to array, hardly a ray of sunshine today me thinks lol

29. Double98 says:

Arsenal need 4 things
    1./ a drama free offseason and preseason.
    This will concentrate the minds on Arsene’s balletic philosophy. We will come out of the traps fast and furious blitzing everything in our way. As other teams hammer out the kinks in their defensive fluidity we will bamboosal them with swift passing, pace and intelligent runs.
    2./ Plan b
    By november other teams will have their defences marshalled, they will have watched 10 games of Arsenal rapier like attacks and will have a coordinated defence aimed at plugging gaps and counterattacking at speed. a subtle change or a dramatic one where we allow the opposition to have the ball and hit them with Theo, Ryo or OX.
    3./ Counter Counter Attacking
    For me arsenal should snub out most counter attacks simply and at source. Most teams put a guy 10 yards from the opponents D at corners and free kicks – when the ball comes out they pick it up and spread it wide.
    Arsenal always seem to have a hole right there which allows the oponents to pick up the clearance and launch a counterattack.

4./Similiariy in defence – how many Danny Rose type roy of the rover one off goals must we conceded before we realise that we need to defend the top of the d from corners. typically a Ball comes in and gets a header and some nobody swings a leg at it and hits the one in a million shot like an exocet missile into the top corner.

one in a million shots crop up 9 times out of 10 in Arsenal games

30. goonermichael says:

You should get an android dandan mine changes arry to twitchy criminal. Much more accurate

31. TotalArsenal says:

Good stuff BR πŸ™‚

I have nothing to add to the very good comments this morning. Especially Gus@10.00 and Terry@10.43 comments are excellent.

Henryc, good point about the squad depth. The big question for me is, how good is Arsene at rotating players, in terms of timing and ensuring there is no drop in team-form/shape? I don’t think this is his strongest skill.

32. Gooner In Exile says:

TA I agree on the rotation thing, I think it’s one of the reasons we end up with our tagged “deadwood” players as they look poor when on the pitch with regular first teamers, more rotation would allow for changes to be less destructive to our balance.

33. henrychan - indonesia says:

GIE.. thanks for your info about the trophies..
    It make me feel -a little bit- proud..
    We are much better than Liverpool and Chelsea..

And the reason why MU is win again and again..
    Cause they supply more England skuad than others clubs.
    It happen to Barca also in Spain.. And I guest Juventus in Italy..
    Somehow FA tend to spoil MU with some ridiculous Refree decision..

And for that reason why I don’t like MU and also Barca..
    I don’t really think they are that damn good to win 19 EPL Trophies if FA not there for them recently..
    And that why also.. I wish City will get his first EPL trophy..

34. Red Arse says:

GIE, πŸ™‚

I popped back for a mo to read BR’s Post and saw you had attempted to pass me the poison chalice, with a question relating to the calculation of probabilities, you naughty man! πŸ™‚

At the risk of upsetting GN5, again, I am not a great statistics man, as people hire the likes of you and I to prove what they want! πŸ™‚

Explaining the CPF is not for AA I suspect, and anyway, in the past I used a bought in standard iterative model into which I simply loaded the necessary business data.

In brief, we would have to define what would be an acceptable rate of trophy success. [Already we are in trouble getting agreement on this!! πŸ™‚ ]

We could then feed into a model some relevant data showing what that ‘acceptable’ success outcome would be, and then other data to indicate what would be the ‘unacceptable’ success outcomes, and then we would be able to analyse what needed to be done to achieve a higher probability of the desired success outcome (more trophies).

The starting point would be the historical data you showed above and then work from there.

At this point you are the only one reading this cheap and dirty explanation, the eyes of the other AAers have glazed over, or they have slunk off (sorry, Micky) πŸ™‚ so let’s cut to the chase, and come up with the necessary solution which would immediately increase the probability of achieving the required outcome of multiple successful trophy achievements.

MONEY!!!!! πŸ™‚

35. Morning all, I like a provocative post me(and especially a Big Randy one at that) and I can only answer the question by assuming it is still at the haberdashers for a refit/upgrade.

Redders, without trying to second guess a fellow AA accountant, I’m thinking GiE is after the mathematical formula which will total the chances(assuming that every team that enters each of the four competitions we enter has historic probability data available)that we win at least one trophy a season.

If you are not using historic data you could assume every entrant club has an equal chance of winning, for example, if 32 teams take part in the Carling Cup we have a 1 in 32 chance i.e. 0.03125; the FA Cup has 64 teams, so 1 in 64, i.e 0.015625 and so on to give us the total for all 4 competitions(Carling, FA, League & Champions League).

So what’s the probability of us winning a trophy in a season, RA?

And why do one in a million shots happen in 9 out of 10 games that Arsenal play?

38. TotalArsenal says:

RA πŸ˜† After GiE posted that question to you the probability of your subsequent answer went straight through the roof! A classic RA answer πŸ™‚

39. Red Arse says:

Et tu Brute (aka CharyB)? πŸ™‚

Yet another poisoned chalice?

The math formula is easy — explaining it to bored AAers is not!

Please be my guest, CharyB, and enlighten the blogworld. πŸ™‚
    Taking a basic business model and amending it to a football environment should be straightforward, and I have randomly googled a starting point one for you.

Multiple Event Probability Formula For Football trophies:

Probability of event A that occurs P(A) = n(A) / n(S).
    Probability of event A that does not occur P(A’) = 1 – P(A).
    Probability of event B that occurs P(B) = n(B) / n(S).
    Probability of event B that does not occur P(B’) = 1 – P(B).
    Probability that both the events occur P(A ∩ B) = P(A) x P(B).
    Probability that either of event occurs P(A βˆͺ B) = P(A) + P(B) – P(A ∩ B).
    Conditional Probability P(A | B) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B).

where,
    n(A) – number of occurrence in Event A, [ECL]
    n(B) – number of occurrence in Event B, [EPL]
    n(S) – total number of possible outcomes.

Good luck with that! πŸ™‚

40. TotalArsenal says:

Henryc, are you saying that success is highly linked to the number of English players a team has/plays? If so, that is an interesting observation!

41. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks RA!

Chary I was trying to do it with a bit of balance but no historical. I don’t think all teams who enter PL can win it. So I was trying to take out the also rans, FA Cup and League Cup same basis

So if you start with the PL we have a 1 in 4 chance, FA Cup 1 in 10, CL 1 in 8, LC 1 in 20 (based on my entirely subjective removal of no hopers).

Given each tournament is mutually exclusive and success in one does not mean no success in another, or vice versa what are the odds?

So what’s the probability that we win one of events A, B, C or D?
    I reckon it’s 25%……… or 2% if Howard Webb is the ref.

43. Gooner In Exile says:

So n(A) is 1 (the trophy) and n(B) is the number of teams?

Be right back.

44. Gooner In Exile says:

πŸ˜€ Chas

45. LOL Redders, you’re not going to get me into that cul de sac !
    I’m only trying to second guess what type of probability outcome GiE is after – the defined outcome option (with any competing team having an equal chance) is the only one I could cope with at this time of day.

So to continue, for the league with have a 1 in 20(i.e. 0.05) chance and the Champions League(assuming we enter at the group stages) 1 in 32 (0.03125)

So adding that all up:(0.03125 + 0.015625 + 0.05 + 0.03125) = 0.128125, namely 1 in 8 (7.8 to be precise) – simples πŸ™‚

Not !

46. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Exile, this season there has been a good excuse for Arsene, as in almost all positions he seldom had the luxury of rotating (more or less) like for like players, due to injury, and in some cases, lack of form. Paradoxically, we have used more players this season than any other team.

The master of rotation in a ‘total football’ environment was Louis van Gaal, especially during his early Ajax management days in the early to mid-nineties. He set up his team around 11 clearly defined roles and did his squad planning and player drills according to those roles. Anybody who was asked to play in a certain position knew exactly what to do and there was seldom a drop in performance in any of the roles, or the total team performance, if and when somebody got injured or suspended and had to be replaced.

47. henrychan - indonesia says:

Yes TA.. hehehe.. That’s my though..
    I certainly don’t have enough datas to prove it.. but I’m preety sure it happened..
    Maybe you or GIE or others can explain it more clearly..
    Such thing happened also with Barcelona..

What is your prediction about tonigth games..?? Between Chelsea vs Newc and Bolton vs Spurs..???

48. TotalArsenal says:

Henrychan from Ja(c)kArt(et)a πŸ™‚ I reckon it will be two draws (1-1 probably). What do you predict?

49. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok Yahoo Answers disagrees with everything everyone has said πŸ˜€

If I use Chary’s figures it comes out roughly the same (based on all things being equal) 12.2%, if I use my figures (removing the unequal teams) I get 43.9% which is higher than I expected chance of winning at least one trophy per season.

Maybe I need to widen my possibles number, and if I’m using RA’s formulas correctly I calculate the chance of winning 1 of the four is 52%.

I think we have proved that stats mean bugger all (especially when they don’t fit my argument πŸ˜€ )

henrychan,
    I think both the chavs and spuds will both win, leaving us on…..
    Arse 66
    Spud 65
    Chav 64

Hang on to your hats!

51. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, πŸ™‚

I have just about 5 minutes left before I have to do something important, but comments made by Herb and Norfolk yesterday chime with BR’s Post today.

Briefly, and to paraphrase:
    Herb asked why we did not keep up with Manyoo and others, when we are a wealthy club.
    Norfolk expressed doubts as to the determination of UEFA to penalise clubs that do not adhere to the FFP rules.
    BR asks when we will lift another trophy.
    I said, the solution to obtaining more trophies for Arsenal was MONEY.

The FFP rules have already entered the ‘qualifying’ stage and I do not intend to go into all the various permutations for the point of this comment. What is true is that none of the current ‘oil money’ clubs can continue spending such huge sums on acquiring the top players.

In fact, no club can now ever again spend money like Manyoo did, initially, and in more recent times Chelsey, City, Anzhi, PSG have done.

So, if Herb wanted our billionaire shareholders to spend like any of the above, even if they wanted to, or we wanted them to, it is too late.

Norfolk is right to doubt UEFA’s will to make these rules work, but the man behind them is Platini, who will eventually grease himself into being the FIFA President, and nobody, and certainly no club, is going to jeopardise their own self interest by standing up to him. That horse has bolted.

I jokingly cut to the chase with reference to the ‘probability’ of achieving more success for AFC, by saying it is simply a question of money. But I am right.

Leaving aside whether or not any of us agree or disagree with spending buckets of cash on transfers, with money supplied by wealthy benefactors, it has undeniably had the impact of transforming weak and almost bankrupt clubs, like Chelsea and City, into trophy winning ‘machines’ – past or future – and might also have enabled some other ‘oil’ clubs in Spain, like Malaga to rise up the league and challenge Madrid and Barca in their current two team league.

Now with the FFP, there is no chance of any of that happening.
    Barca and Madrid will always be in a league of two.
    In the UK, Manyoo, Chelsea, Citeh, with other hopefuls such as ourselves, ‘Pool, and the Totts hanging on in there, will form the 6 team league from which the winners will come. Tough luck on Bolton, Everton, Villa etc who, potentially, will now never win another EPL title.

As an accountant I have always applauded the stable financial model for our club. But that is because we have chosen to do so, and we are big enough to be in with a shout given our new stadium etc.

However, other clubs in our league can only progress and win trophies with outside funding — they have no choice now — no Arab tycoon can rescue them, and they will forever be in a sub-league within the Premier League.

How can that be right? The FFP should have come into being many years ago, and NOT slam the door shut after a select few clubs have benefited because of the largesse of oil rich benefactors.

Just made it with 30 seconds to spare! πŸ™‚

Ciaio bambinos until later!! πŸ™‚

52. henrychan - indonesia says:

Jakarta.. hehehe..

I wish the same with you TA..
    Draw will make it easier for Arsenal..
    But I hope Miyaichi will give us a ‘surprise’. hehehe..

Magic or otherwise. πŸ™‚

54. Gooner In Exile says:

HenryChan have a look here for 2011/12

You will see on the table at the bottom of the page that we sit proudly bottom of the table having 11 decisions net against us, Stoke on the other hand sit top with 17 decisions net for them.

Whats interesting is this year it has not cost us many points (4 in fact), Stoke however would be in relegation battle based on the numbers.

Here is the final table for the 2010/11 season, we would have gained 2 places.

chas. I am a patient man and I live in hope. Both necessary for a comfortable life! Particularly as a football fan.

The reason for the post was that I woke up singing the above song ( I usually wake up with an Arsenal song buzzing around my skull but sometimes when things go awry it can be King of the Road which is a sign of impending disaster!!).

Then I thought ….. where is the Magic Hat and why isn’t AW wearing it anymore?

I was amused by the thought and expanded it into a post.

56. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas you are such a doomer!!! πŸ˜‰

RA but lets not forget the door is open to a Rights Issue to get round the revenue problem. If Abramovich or the Sheikhs want to invest more in their teams they can (as I understand it), but they have to do it by way of Share ownership not debt, some would argue it is the same thing, as when the fun is gone, the Owners will want that back from the next owner, but they can still do it (i think?).

GIE. Or your figures show we are punching below our weight.

RA. As you rightly say, ….. Money.

58. Gooner In Exile says:

BR now you are dooming too what happened to positive BR from a few days back πŸ˜‰

59. Gooner In Exile says:

Right its 12:30pm and my day in the office has turned into a morning on AA, must crack on before Mrs Exile comes home and asks why i am still going to be working this evening.

60. henrychan - indonesia says:

GIE.. Thanks for the link you give..
    But I can’t see how that tables work..

But thanks anyway..

GIE, I have a major dental operation in a couple of hours and quite frankly am frightened. I guess it has impacted upon my writing!

GIE,
    We can’t all lounge about in a field reading a book saying ‘so what do you want to make of it?’.

BR,
    Magic Hats are a great idea for a post. I wonder what happened in that parallel universe after we won the CC Final last year.

63. TotalArsenal says:

He does what he wants, he does what he waaaaaaaaaants, Gooner in Exile, he does what he wants! πŸ™‚

64. goonermichael says:

The red mancs spent Β£50m last season. i doubt they’ll spend that again. Chelsea have bought a Β£10m winger, similar price to Podolski I imagine. I hope pep goes to the chavs we’ll see how good he really is. I’m off to Vietnam in an hour. I won’t know the scores until I get to singapore. Hope Bolton can do the spuds. I’d like them to stay up as well as the obvious. A draw for the other match would be nice.

65. goonermichael says:

What a terrible mistake Park was. I wish he’d had a chance personally. We can safely call it a debacle I think

66. Gooner In Exile says:

BR was just kidding. Good luck at the dentist.

Henry the table on the left is the current League Table, the one on the right is the table had decisions been made correctly (disallowed goals etc).

The table at the bottom is purely a decisions based table on who gets the best of the controversial decisions, it appears that team is Stoke, which I guess would make sense, and we get the least (again this makes sense).

Stoke get more decisions because ref’s see big strong players and believe the opponent could not have made the brute fall over without fouling. Conversely when one of our players outmuscles and opponent to the floor, the referee looks and decides that no way could that small little wimp have done that without fouling.

For the record the pic was taken on honeymoon, before a trip to Milan and Muse at the San Siro

67. dandan says:

Have a good trip GM. Worry not the boys will see you ok.

68. Gooner In Exile says:

The kind of player we need:

69. TotalArsenal says:

Dutch media are reporting the Spuds have made an official approach for Vertonghen. But he will want CL football at least, so no chance, smelly spuds πŸ˜†

Hi TA, I read that too.

I get the impression that some clubs don’t bother with a scouting network and just go after anyone we show an interest in.

Its clear that the spuds need a CH more than we do, but Vertongen is such a great player and one who can play anywhere across the back. I hope we don’t let him slip through our fingers. He’ll be relatively cheap – offers starting at Β£7m, a bargain if under Β£10m

71. goonermichael says:

If we want him we’ll get him I think Rasp He wants to play with TV apparently.

Completely off subject but one of my clients told me last week that his uncle is the last man alive to have met Rasputin.

72. Gooner In Exile says:

“I hope we don’t let him slip through our fingers.”

Rasp I know what you mean but when has anyone at the club expressed an interest in signing him?

Thats why I take all speculation with a pinch of salt as Raddy said yesterday when its on the club website is when we should believe we are interested in a player.

73. goonermichael says:

Here’s a stat for you.scumchester yoonited hav not won a game in which the opposition scored first. We have a great record from rcovering from that. In fact it’s become almost customary to give the other team a start.

Also the mancs had no shots on target against shitty. remember the press mocking us when we had that stat against the catalan (trophyless) diving club. Notice how they don’t mock them? Best thing about twitter is being able to abuse the wankers who write that shit.

Here we go πŸ™„ and the source is none other than PHW’s favourite mouthpiece…..

75. Gooner In Exile says:

Pod interview transcript here http://arsenal-esque.blogspot.de/2012/05/podolski-press-conference-transcript.html

“I had a couple of different offers but they did not really matter to me. As soon as the offer of Arsenal arrived I started to think about my career in football and eventually came to the conclusion that this would be the right path for me.

“I had other interesting offers but for me, it had to be a top club and when you look at Arsenal, with a fantastic manager, good environment and there has never been bad press surrounding the club; they are playing attractive football and have a great stadium with great fans.”

I like the man already.

76. goonermichael says:

40m is good money

77. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp not one quote πŸ™„ indeed. Oh and its “have the money if they sell Higuain”

78. Gooner In Exile says:

πŸ˜€ GM, quote of the day:

“Best thing about twitter is being able to abuse the wankers who write that shit.”

I know, I know GiE, why PHW would want to be associated with a tabloid rag that’s not fit to wrap fish and chips I’ll never know.

80. VCC says:

Safe journey gm.

Have fun.

GiE, re: Vertongen, does the club normally express an interest in a player before we try to sign them? – just asking

What probably happens is that the rumour starts and someone in the press asks AW a direct question about the player. If AW says categorically that he’s not interested then that is the case – any other answer and we are in with a chance.

There may be a lot of clubs looking at Vertongen though so his price could escalate whether we’re in the market or not.

82. goonermichael says:

Right I’m off see you all when I get there.

83. goonermichael says:

84. VCC says:

I LOVE that song.

Cant stop singing it.

Lu Lu Lu Lukas Podolski
    Lu Lu Lu Lukas Podolski

Lovin it Lovin it Lovin it

85. Typical Arsenal-hating BBC – when announcing Sol’s retirement they call him “Former England and Spurs defender” – so who did he win 2 League titles with ?

Also Flamini is available on a free from AC as he hasn’t played all year and is annoyed he has been overlooked after an injury.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

First the homesick/traitorous spaniard gets his comeuppance(trophyless diving catalans and his idol, Pep, decides to leave the club) then Flamini’s italian dream goes down the crapper.

The curse of the Arsenal player who disrespects the club carries on ! πŸ™‚

86. Beautiful day. Hasn`t May been great , two days of sunshine !.
    I`m wearing my new Arsenal shirt, we compliment each other, both effing gorgeous !. A little bit of trouble earlier though, the villagers couldn`t keep their hands off me, so I had to call the Old Bill, I suppose they had good mitigating reasons, ( A handsome bastard in an Arsenal shirt ) but I was still peed off to be arrested on the charge of, ” being irrisistable in public “, but I was lucky enough to have shared a cell with a mirror !. Later, off to play Hide and Seek, I shall count to a Hundred and then try and find myself, no peeping though !. πŸ™‚

Since Sol dissed the club in the Guardian, I don’t care if he is only associated with the no-marks of N17.

88. Really Chas, I didn’t see that.

It can’t have been as appalling as what the likes of The Whore, Flamini, Hleb & Cesc did.

89. Red Arse says:

Glic, πŸ™‚

90. jnyc says:

A combination that ive seen, not a good record of fair calls from refs, and as many said, really not enough rotation of the squad to keep them healthy or fresh. If wenger rode horses, he would ride his favorite until it dropped dead, then blame it on bad luck.
    and let me just add, i am in favor of selling walcott. He will never be worth more than now, and he can easily be replaced from our own squad, or from a purchase. The only problem that i see is, rvp seems to like him. And that matters.

91. VCC says:

GLiC 2:39…. You crack me up. πŸ™‚

92. Gooner In Exile says:

GliC if I hadn’t met you I would

A) believe the story, and

B) think Simon Cowell blogged on AA πŸ˜€

Rasp no we don’t normally as you say it’s up to AW whether he expresses interest and how serious that interest is we can only gauge from his comment.

If he says he thinks a player is good does that mean he wants to sign him? I’m just trying to save you from unnecessary pain of thinking we lost out on a player who we are trying to sign when at the end of the day we don’t know.

93. Well that was a Quick game !.
    Some stats on me, In no particular order.
    1) As GIE will confirm, I am a Handsome bastard.
    2) I am a Billionaire
    3) I`m a Great lover
    4) I love Arsenal
    5) I live in Cornwall
    6) I have no sense of humour.

I`ve also been known to lie about 4 out of 6 times ! πŸ™‚

94. Red Arse says:

Glic,

Terrym told me about your fetish with mirrors, but said he worries about you stealing all his credit for good looks.

“Why is that”, I said?

“Well, we went to the Tavern a few weeks back and Glic found a girl’s mirror on the pavement.
    ‘Crikey’, he said, picking it up and looking into it carefully, ‘I reckon I know that gorgeous sexy beast with the I love you eyes’.”

“I took it off him, and had a good look, and I had to tell him, ‘of course you do – silly – that’s me’!”

Doh!!! πŸ™‚

95. Norfolk Gooner says:

We’ve relied for too long on having one standout player at a time. Henry, Fabregas, van Persie. Everything has revolved around those players in turn.

Plan A? Play it to Henry.
    Plan B? Play it to Henry.
    Plan Z? Play it to Henry.

Ditto Fabregas.

Ditto van Persie.

Arsenal have become so predictable that every opposing manager knows exactly what to expect and how to counter it.

We need a true plan B,

96. Red Arse says:

Well 1 out of 6 isn’t bad, Glic!

97. Redders πŸ™‚
    I bet your wondering what our mucker Terry really looks like, well If I was to tell you, a person who makes women wet themselves so much, they need tsunami size nappies ( diapers) and so handsome he makes straight men turn gay and so pretty he makes lezzers turn straight, well thats ME !, as for Terry, I cant say, his contraband hiding extra large syrup kept slipping over his face so much that he text us instead of talking !.

98. VCC says:

Redders……GLiC looks like Gollom.

99. Red Arse says:

VCC,

Did I ever tell you about the time GIE, TA and Glic met at the Tavern?

They popped into the gents before the game and came across this strange old mirror. There was a legend above the mirror which said
    — “Tell the truth, stranger, and get a stunning kiss from the sexiest girl in the world! Tell a lie and disappear forever.”

GIE strode up to the mirror and said,
    “I think you can trust me, I’m an accountant”
    — SHAZAM — he disappeared!

TA confidently took his place before the mirror and said,
    “I think I’m a caring guy, I am a Personnel Manager”
    — SHAZAM — he disappeared!

Then Glic eagerly sidled up and said,
    “I think –”
    — SHAZAM — he disappeared!

Well, that’s three friends who will never speak to me again!! πŸ™‚

It’s all your fault, VCC!!

100. herbsarmy says:

Hello everyone, great Post BR, one to which there are probably a mjllion answers.
    Hi RA. I definitely don’t recall saying we should spend Β£millions in the same way that either Chelsea or Man City do. I have admittedly mentioned the likes of Benzema (who AW himself has talked of) and Tevez, which represent the sort of quality we should be aiming for.
    My recent comments are with the culpability of our BoD, and some of the strange decisions they have made in their pursuit of finding a successful formula.

101. Red Arse says:

It was not intended as a criticism, Herb, I was simply trying to paraphrase your thoughts in the limited time I had to write a controversial comment that linked different views with a common thread.

Actually, I think you might, in any case, be putting words in my comment that I did not write.
    If you read my piece, you will see that I never claimed you said “we should spend Β£millions in the same way that either Chelsea or Man City do”.

102. Thanks VCC your too kind !. πŸ™‚

Redders, My thoughts on you , I think—— SHAZAM

103. On second thoughts———SHAZAM

104. Stop thinking………. thats better………your right Redders……..lets blame VCC

105. VCC says:

Redders :-). Merry T …GLiC and yourself should do a threesome.

106. Red Arse says:

Glicster,

I am not saying TerryM is a stoolie but he told me this story which might have been about you!!

There was this guy whose wife got fed up wiping all his lipstick kisses off the bathroom mirror, so she decided to spend all her money buying mirrors to hang around their house so she could always look in them and admire herself.

One day he got sick of all the mirrors so he took them all off the walls and told her if she hung another one up without his permission he would leave her.

Well, she really loved him so she agreed to his demand, provided he stopped looking in mirrors too.

A few months later he came home from work and went to hang his
    suit up in the bedroom when he noticed a new mirror hanging on the inside of the closet door.
    He got right royally pissed off and called his wife into the bedroom to tell her off.
    When she saw why he was so angry, she said, “But sweetheart, this is a magic mirror. Look, come into the closet with me and I’ll show you how it works!”

He followed her into the closet and she shut the door. Then she turned to face the mirror and said, “Mirror, mirror on the door, make my breast size 44!”

SHAZAM!! Suddenly, she was a size 44!

Seeing this he started to get excited so when she asked for him to
    try it out he faced the mirror too and said, “Mirror, mirror on the door, make my thingy touch the floor!”

SHAZAM!! His legs fell off!

How short are you Glic??? πŸ™‚

107. Red Arse says:

That reminds me VCC, I am off before Peaches catches me!! πŸ™‚

(a menage a trois is definitely not on the cards!!) πŸ™‚

108. herbsarmy says:

RA,
    you said in your 12:15 if I wanted our billionaire shareholders to spend like those afore mentioned clubs, it’s too late. I’ve never called for that, but what I have called for is more intelligent footballing decisions from those who are entrusted to make our experience of following Arsenal a lot more pleasant.

109. VCC says:

Redders…GLiC thanks for the laughs.

GTG back soon.

110. Red Arse says:

Herb,

Whatever.

If I could edit out my precis regarding what I thought you said I would.

I was only trying to be inclusive and pay you the courtesy of trying to reflect a comment, I thought you had made, which had a bearing on the subject, but hey, let’s not look at what I thought was a serious point affecting the whole of football, and concentrate on your nit picking instead.

Seriously, I am not interested in arguing with you and going over and over the same old stuff.

That’s it.

111. herbsarmy says:

I have no wish to argue with you either, RA, and I’m genuinely flattered that you give me a mention, which you’ve done a few times, and it’s always nice to be remembered, but I’m sure you might take umbrage at someone mis-quoting or mis-representing your views. I’m not angry about it, I’m just clarifying my stance on the subject, so no damage done.

oooh – good post BR
    Lots of answers going through my mind as to where the magic titfer has gone. Will think on’t and respond later.

Regarding GiE’s “probability of a trophy” question, I’m no mathematician but…

If we accept GiE premise that, realistically, only 4 clubs are in with a shout of the EPL, only 8 have a chance of the CL, 10 clubs have a chance of the FA Cup and 20 have a chance of the league cup.

So…

On any given season our chances are as follows:

EPL: 25%
    CL: 12.5%
    FA Cup: 10%
    CCup: 5%

Add all the percentages up = 52.5%

So we should win something every other year… ???

113. VCC says:

Guys……One more top drawer siginng to go with Podowski and keep RvP, then we WILL win something next season.

114. Where are these over half ( 52.5% ) a cups we have won in the last few years ?. Why wasn`t I imformed of the ,”over half a cup open top bus ride through Islington ” Day, always the last to know in Cornwall, I bet tricky Micky from Devon went !. πŸ‘Ώ

115. So no ones buying my “1 in 7.8 chance of a trophy” answer then ?
    That must be why everyone trusts GiE so much. πŸ™‚

116. Red Arse says:

Hi Rock Candy Mountain, (if I may be formal?) πŸ™‚

I never knew you were au fait with the stochastic principle. A true mathematician, indeed! πŸ™‚

A stochastic process can comprise discrete values (e.g., the random variable outcomes of tossing a coin 50 times) and in such cases, we could calculate the probability of observing a particular set of outcomes by making suitable assumptions about the underlying stochastic process, where the probability of a coin landing ‘tails’ is “p” and that the coin tosses are independent).

Applying that process to the likelihood of winning football trophies is a mathematical possibility, of course, once you have determined suitable random precepts.

At least I think that was your underlying assumption, because, of course, statistical data, which is observing something that has already happened, and trying to work out why it happened and then applying that to future events is clearly problematical, without introducing a degree of randomness to it!

Far too complicated for a poor soul such as I, so I have had to resort to the common man’s clarion call, and say “show me ya money”!! πŸ™‚

GlLiC
    Well, we’ve managed 7 trophies in Wenger’s 16 years… which is about a 44% win rate – not too far behind the “statistical” 52.5%.

Not bad when, during that period, we have moved stadium, been a bit boracic and seen the influx of the Oilygarchs into the EPL.

118. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I think both you and GIE could sell snake oil to a ……………….. snake oil salesman. πŸ™‚

Am I allowed to say that you sem to be relying on simple mathematical calculations based on fixed statistical data with no attempt to divine/agree or apply appropriate random variables?

In any event, I put my faith in the ever reliable Terrym for my daily predictive fix. Now let me see, ah yes, he said we will win lots of trophies, real soon!!! πŸ™‚

That does it for me! πŸ™‚

From Arsenal.com

……………………………………………………………………..

Wenger – Justice must come first in football
    By Joe Brewin

ArsΓ¨ne Wenger believes the introduction of an β€œethics committee” would make the disciplinary process in English football near perfect.

High-profile incidents in recent weeks involving Mario Balotelli and Shaun Derry have increased pressure on the authorities for change.

Wenger is concerned that not all controversial incidents can be assessed in the wake of a game and he believes the introduction of a new system would help bring justice.

β€œWhat you want is a system that is fair and a system that does justice for football,” he told the Official Arsenal Magazine. β€œThere are a lot of things that work very, very well but my main concern is that there is friction between the authority of the referee and justice in football.

β€œThat is a grey area at the moment that has to be explored. You have to respect the referee, respect the difficulty of his job, but also put justice in the game above the referee’s authority.

β€œBasically we are in the position at the moment where if somebody takes a player’s leg off, if the referee has seen it and misjudged it, the player gets away with it. For me that is not acceptable.

β€œIf you love football you want justice to prevail. How can it be right that Shaun Derry is suspended and Mario Balotelli isn’t?

“Even if each case might make sense individually when they are explained, when you put the whole picture together you have to say it’s not common sense. So there is something missing from the cohesion of the justice system.

β€œI am convinced that a committee with a supreme authority – an ethics committee – could rule on some cases, and make sure justice is done. They should have the power after games, in exceptional circumstances, to make a decision above the referee. Then the system would be perfect.”

Redders πŸ™‚
    Thankyou for introducing me to a new word: stochastic!

As I see it, my percentage breakdown of our likelihood of winning silverware (based on GiE’s estimation of our chances in each competition) is perfectly accurate.

However, if you were to ask me whether the premises on which the figures are based stand up to scrutiny… well that’s a whole different matter and I fear the estimable Mr Exile may not like the answer πŸ™‚

Aha Redders!
    @5.31 you got there before me πŸ™‚
    Not for the first time, I might add.

122. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

How is your back? Not thinking of turning you into bionic man, yet?

Someone I knew, who was very fit and a keen cyclist went with his buddies to Spain, recently, on a cycling holiday (funnily enough), got off his bike after a 25 mile (approx 40 Kilometres) ‘warm up’ and dropped dead!

It always shocks and saddens me when apparently ‘fit’ people like Muamba, and the young woman who died in the London Marathon are suddenly laid low, presumably because of some genetic defect.
    Scary!

Not that that has any bearing on your back problem. Just saying!

123. VCC says:

BR. Wenger will be wearing his magic hat next season.

124. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I do not doubt your predictive skills based on statistical analysis! πŸ™‚

If you undertook the same exercise for ManCity, prior to the Sheikh-down, you would probably expect them to finish around 10th.

Throw in the random variable of money, and it not only significantly altered the likely probability of them finishing 1st or 2nd, rather than 10th, but would also, as a consequence, materially alter or affect the probability of other clubs finishing 1st or 2nd.

Tricky. πŸ™‚

125. dandan says:

Given the trials and tribulations of recent months I thought I would publish this

King Arthur and the Witch:

Young King Arthur was ambushed and imprisoned by the monarch of a neighboring kingdom. The monarch could have killed him but was moved by Arthur’s youth and ideals. So, the monarch offered him his freedom, as long as he could answer a very difficult question. Arthur would have a year to figure out the answer and, if after a year, he still had no answer, he would be put to death.

The question?…What do women really want? Such a question would perplex even the most knowledgeable man, and to young Arthur, it seemed an impossible query. But, since it was better than death, he accepted the monarch’s proposition to have an answer by year’s end.

He returned to his kingdom and began to poll everyone: the princess, the priests, the wise men and even the court jester. He spoke with everyone, but no one could give him a satisfactory answer.

Many people advised him to consult the old witch, for only she would have the answer.

But the price would be high; as the witch was famous throughout the kingdom for the exorbitant prices she charged.

The last day of the year arrived and Arthur had no choice but to talk to the witch. She agreed to answer the question, but he would have to agree to her price first.

The old witch wanted to marry Sir Lancelot, the most noble of the Knights of the Round Table and Arthur’s closest friend!

Young Arthur was horrified. She was hunchbacked and hideous, had only one tooth, smelled like sewage, made obscene noises, etc. He had never encountered such a repugnant creature in all his life.

He refused to force his friend to marry her and endure such a terrible burden; but Lancelot, learning of the proposal, spoke with Arthur

He said nothing was too big of a sacrifice compared to Arthur’s life and the preservation of the Round Table.

Hence, a wedding was proclaimed and the witch answered Arthur’s question thus:

What a woman really wants, she answered….is to be in charge of her own life.

Everyone in the kingdom instantly knew that the witch had uttered a great truth and that Arthur’s life would be spared.

And so it was, the neighboring monarch granted Arthur his freedom and Lancelot and the witch had a wonderful wedding.

The honeymoon hour approached and Lancelot, steeling himself for a horrific experience, entered the bedroom. But, what a sight awaited him. The most beautiful woman he had ever seen lay before him on the bed. The astounded Lancelot asked what had happened

The beauty replied that since he had been so kind to her when she appeared as a witch, she would henceforth, be her horrible deformed self only half the time and the beautiful maiden the other half.

Which would he prefer? Beautiful during the day….or night?

Lancelot pondered the predicament. During the day, a beautiful woman to show off to his friends, but at night, in the privacy of his castle, an old witch? Or, would he prefer having a hideous witch during the day, but by night, a beautiful woman for him to enjoy wondrous intimate moments?

What would YOU do?

What Lancelot chose is below. BUT….make YOUR choice before you scroll down below. OKAY?

Noble Lancelot said that he would allow HER to make the choice herself.

Upon hearing this, she announced that she would be beautiful all the time because he had respected her enough to let her be in charge of her own life.

Now….what is the moral to this story?

Scroll down

The moral is…..

If you don’t let a woman have her own way….
    Things are going to get ugly

Indeed Redders
    GiE postulates that on a typical season we are one of four teams with a chance of winning the EPL (along with, I assume, the two Mancs and the Chavs).

So a 1 in 4 chance (25%) right?

Sadly no, because other factors come into play, not least, as you rightly point out, filthy lucre.

If you take into account the spending power (past and present) of the other three teams then our chances of winning the league must be considerably less than 1 in 4, even in a four-horse race! Perhaps more like 1 in 8.

Luckily we follow a sport that makes a fool of statistics on a weekly basis πŸ™‚

Haha
    Nice one dandan

129. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

Funny story, but oh so true!! πŸ™‚

130. Red Arse says:

DD,

I should have said my own solution was rather more prosaic, (given the story was set in the days of yore) πŸ™‚

I would have put her to the sword after the wedding and brought in a clutch of vestal virgins! I am sooooo low caste!! πŸ™„

131. Talking of percentages, Me , Redders and Terry were sprucing ourselves up before making our way to a nightclub, all of a sudden a ugly Genie appears. Which one of you is the most Handsome asks the Genie, That will be me replies Terry whilst grooming his syrup with his dentures……SHAZAM……Terry disappears. A nervous looking Redders then replies, it is I, whilst applying Brylcream to his hair with an Abacus………SHAZAM…….Redders disappears. The Genie then looks at me and says, ” Thank f**k for that glic, I was never going to pull anything tonight with them two ugly sisters, I needed a 100% irristable handsome bastard like you, our carriage awaits, lets party !……..Get down on it, get down on it, get down on it, get down on it, how you really gonna dance by standing on the wall………….get your back up of the wall ! ( time for a Kool and the gang vid chassy ) πŸ™‚

GLiC
    You’re mental.

But in a good way πŸ™‚

133. Red Arse says:

Glic, πŸ™‚

So that’s what happened! I got stuck with TerryM!!!!!! πŸ™‚

134. Your nearly there Redders, you actually got stuck on his `scope ! , so for having a good time , 2 out of 3 aint bad, 66.666666666….. seeing as we`re talking percentages ! πŸ™‚

135. Red Arse says:

He has not been around today, Glic, and I am not surprised, the amount of lipstick that lad wears??????????????????? πŸ™‚

Anyway, I say goodnight ……………………goodnight!! πŸ™‚

136. I wont say have a good night counting sheep, that sounds a bit Welsh and you dont want a load of angry Welsh come banging on your door ! πŸ˜‰ Good night Redders.

137. VCC says:

GLiC… your crazy.

138. Thank you Rocky and VCC, for your excellant and accurate appraisals on the state of my mind. πŸ™‚

139. VCC says:

GLiC.
    I know a guy who’s addicted to brake fluid….

He says he can stop any time

140. VCC says:

GLiC stayed up all night to see where the sun went……

Then it dawned on him

141. VCC says:

GLiC… did you know when you get a bladder infection…..

urine trouble.

142. VCC,
    My Cocker Spaniel Max has got what looks like the same shirt as your Boxer, with Bergkamp on the back of it, love it , even our dogs are gooners ! πŸ™‚

143. VCC says:

GLiC…. My Boxer “George” has been photographed in most Arsenal kits.

He’s waiting to watch them (on TV) in a final whilst wearing the latest outfit.

A true Gooner.

144. Gooner In Exile says:

So AAers enough of diversionary tactics what’s the best outcomes tonight. For me a win for Bolton and a draw in the Chav v Toon game. Altho a Chav win is equally acceptable and a Spud draw.

Hate having to watch Spud results….something’s wrong with the world!

145. VCC says:

GiE…..My prediction is a Bolton win and Chav win.

Beers are in the fridge ready for KO.

GIE,
    The barcodes winning isn’t too bad either with them playing The Oilers and Everton away in their final two.

147. I really need to go on some sort of computer course to learn how to put stuff on here .I so want to put a picture of my ” son” Max with his Arsenal shirt and shades as a gravatar.!

I hope Kevin Davies is sharpening his boots at this very second. πŸ™‚

glic,
    It should be easy to upload a new photo in en.gravatar.com.
    Though deleting 1tourettesgooner doesn’t help.

I fear that Spuds will win tonight.

A draw in the other one would be ok, but I expect the Chavs to win. They’ve got some momentum going.

Right, I’m going to be a Trotter for the next couple of hours πŸ™‚

151. chas,
    The next time my wifes friend is over here , I`ll get her to run me through it, being shown is a lot easier than being told( or reading ) in my case .

152. Rocky, You better change to,, RoddersLives or RodneyLives ! πŸ™‚

Chelsea playing a strong side but no Cole, Mata, Lamps of Drogba
    I expect them to win, and Spurs.

154. Uncle Albert says:

He who dares Rodney, he who dares………..

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Just checked table

A draw for all and we’re happy home and dry for 3rd with a good win on Saturday.

156. VCC says:

We will have to be at our best Saturday against Norwich.

Play without fear and at pace.

During the waaar….

Hard to believe this is the same Newcastle team. Getting rid of Barton, Nolan, Carroll etc has transformed them.

Don’t much care for Pardew but he has done a fine job

What a goal from Cisse.

Brilliant goal

Crikey
    The Chav fans have nicked our famous ‘we love you Freddie’ song – for Collocini! (except they say ‘long hair’ instead of ‘red hair’).

Bloody cheek!

That should have been Toon fans of course.

Whoops

Chelski have clearly got the cup finals in their minds. Can’t see an equaliser.

Nearly worked!

165. dandan says:

Fine goal by Modric

166. dandan says:

Dean is not having a great game, Spuds got the rub of the green, Bolton feel hard done by.

This is going to be a nail biting end of the season

168. VCC says:

He missed the hand ball before the corner that led to the goal.

169. dandan says:

Spuds on the tv, Chelski on the computer, backside on the go. LOL

170. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody hell has everyone got a cork for Saturday…squeaky bum time here we come.

171. dandan says:

Bolton miss a last minute sitter

I can see Newcastle beating MC at St James and MU winning the title

Looking more and more like we’re going to have to win both of our games.

174. VCC says:

May be BR, but its looking like we will have to win both our remaining games.

As GiE says, squeaky bum time. We must not bottle it.

175. dandan says:

How come pro footballers hit attempted through balls 300 yards

Seems as though the general opinion is thatbwe will have to win both our games πŸ™‚

Or hit an accurate corner?

Snap VCC πŸ™‚

How was Mikel not given red card fora clear act of revenge? Elbow forward into Tiote’s face and right in front of the ref

180. Gooner In Exile says:

DD it amazed me on Monday that some United players couldn’t pass the ball five yards….start with the basics, it’s why England as a team is poor we aren’t coached enough from an early age to do that simple thing.

Bolton need a bit of quality and a couple of decisions to go their way, no atmosphere in the Reebok though.

We need an after-the-fact ethics committee BR

oh, Arsene just said that πŸ™‚

There’s still time for Bolton to do us a favour, not that it seems likely from what I’m reading on the BBC website. 😦

Cmon

184. Gooner In Exile says:

There you go little bit of quality, Dean’s had a bung surely?

Get in Trotters!

What’s the Dean problem GiE?

187. VCC says:

Thats blown it

Double bollocks

189. Gooner In Exile says:

Bollox!

After the season we’ve had I don’t suppose the others were going to hand it to us on a plate.

191. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky not giving Bolton a lot basically, but its irrelevant now…if they bring on Myachi i’ll keep watching if not i’ve run out of patience with them. πŸ˜€

They’ve also closed the GD gap by at least 2 (Spuds that is)

No surprises GiE. It’s Dean who always seems to do a little celebration when teams score against us in matches he’s reffing.

Hope Podolski can score like that. Outstanding

Goal of the season

196. Gooner In Exile says:

Goal of the season? Who what when?

197. Gooner In Exile says:

Shite not a Chelsea equaliser then! This is a bad night and we aren’t even playing!

None of the results have gone our way. It looks like its going to go down to the last game of the season – we’ve only got ourselves to blame.

199. Brigham says:

Really bad night for us results wise and it now makes the Norwich a certain must win and also a big win for us.

200. Fecozzi from nigeria says:

Wat a goallllll…………

201. Fecozzi from nigeria says:

Wat a goallllll………… The chavz suckzz…..

GIE It remains in our control. Fear not ….

Fully deserved for Newcastle.
    Loads of results have gone our way through the season.

You have forgotten that Spurs are comedians. They will not win at Villa and once againshoot themselves in the foot.

205. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Cisses first goal was very special….but his 2nd…..

Fuck me.

Its as good a goal as I’ve seen in a long long time

206. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

I was up off my seat screaming…no way, no fucking way.

Truly amazing goal. Its in over Cech’s head with Cech stood on his line having watched it all the way.

I’m still stunned !!

207. Brigham says:

Just seen David Dein sitting near Fabrice Muamba.

208. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Ya beat me, Sharkers. πŸ™‚

210. Brigham says:

Wow, some strike that.

211. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Then I’m double stunned Chas.

In live play it was even better…..y’know that shock factor

212. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Lets get Naarwich done and dusted nice and early on Sat. 3-0 at Ht please.

Anything else and I’ll have to watch it on my phone sat in casualty !

Night all

213. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp says:
    May 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm (Edit)

You’re right Rasp, we could have been out of this a long time ago and heading for relegation πŸ˜€

214. Gooner In Exile says:

πŸ˜€ Sharkey I’ll be having one of those pacemakers fitted before the weekend is out

215. Gooner In Exile says:

It was an ok goal if you like that kind of thing.

216. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s pretty phenomenal

217. Gooner In Exile says:

218. Gooner In Exile says:

GiE – or we could have learned from our past mistakes and already be secure in 3rd place πŸ˜•

220. Gooner In Exile says:

221. Slimgingergooner says:

West Brom away with Hodgsons last game has suddenly become very interesting!

I can’t see Newcastle beating a City team going for the title on Sunday, so I think it will be us and Spurs battling it out next weekend! It’s going to the wire!!!

222. Gooner In Exile says:

I know Rasp but you have to admit its quite a turnaround.

Remember there was a time in some of us were saying lets just take a season out of Europe consolidate rebuild and kick on. It was about two and a half months ago.

We’ve run out of steam a bit.
    So have quite a few other teams including Manure and Citeh.

It’s still in our hands. This is the time to be positive and get behind the team. Let’s save the inquests until we see how it pans out.

224. Paddywhack says:

Let’s get over ourselves. I always thought that 5th or 6th this season would about right. ‘We’re not good enough for the CL, neither are Spu*ds or Newc but they will be in it. It’s not the time to whinge about CL just to make sure AW gets his finger out and make sure that we’re in it next year. This team will bottle their next two matches, I hate to say it but they will. We need Arteta and Walcott but of course we don’t have them. Let’s regroup for next year. If we do qualify for CL this year I will return on this blog having just eaten my hat – seriously.

Paddywhack
    I understand where you’re coming from (you’ve just expressed my hidden doubts πŸ™‚ ).

But I think we’re a different animal this year (mentally). We’ll win the last two even without the absentees!

226. Gooner In Exile says:

It’s amazing that some fans are backing Toon to beat City and Everton but can’t back us to beat Norwich and Baggies.

I know why we’ve seen it all before etc, but I’ve also seen Toon promise and fail to deliver, and I’ve definitely seen the Spuds do it (lots).

Who knows we could win Saturday and Spuds could lose to Villa(who still need a win for safety) on Sunday. Knowing McLeish it’ll be backs against the wall ten men in the 18 yd box and leave Gabi up front. If Toon lose too that’ll be 3rd spot thank you very much.

Well said GiE
    Or put another way, you can bet that Toon and the Spuds would love to be in our position rather than their own.

228. johnnie nyc says:

i dont want to be a complainer, but, for the past few weeks, alot of our rivals results have been going perfectly for us– spurs collapsed, chelsea fell so far back that they need to win champs league, even newcastle lost unexpectedly last week. with all that, we could have had some breathing room, but now i have to sweat out the next two weekends.
    great.
    can we please have a convincing win this weekend. and another after that. we just cant expect any more help. i know we miss Arteta, but walcott is no excuse, and we have more rest than most lately, since they’re in other competitions.

229. Gooner In Exile says:

Johnnie that’s the pain and agony of being a football fan….it’s why we love it so much. πŸ™‚

But I agree the defeats at home to Wigan and away at QPR are looking costly in recent weeks. We should’ve at least got a point at Loftus Road and the win against Wigan was there if we hadn’t gifted them 2 goals.

Not like this a new phenomena for being an Arsenal fan tho.

Others could probably go back further, but 71 cup final reliable Bob Wilson let Heighway beat him at the near post forcing us to come back and beat them. 79 FA Cup final coasting at 2-0 decided to let United get back to 2-2 before Alan Sunderland nodded home in Extra Time., 87 league cup conceding to Liverpool (Rush scoring – and they never lost when he scored) and came back. 89 title taking it to 1 minute to go before we decided to get the second decisive goal.

They put us through the mill every time.

230. johnnie nyc says:

thanks GIE, i guess the agony just means we love them πŸ™‚

231. henrychan - indonesia says:

With Spurs and Newc win lastnight, make this competition harder but also better..
    Until the last game played, we will never know which team is the winner and out..
    Amazing.. EPL is the best league in the world..

I Wish Arsenal will do no wrong.. and beat Norwich 4-1..
    RVP must score two goal or more..
    He deserve a Golden-Boot trophy this season..

232. Gooner In Exile says:

On this day in 1971

On this day 1998

233. ‘Arsenal are the Champions’ It has such a nice ring to it, maybe next year ……………..

Morning all

Morning all.
    Just seen THAT goal. Completely outrageous. It should be illegal to even think about it. To actually do it and pull it off is utterly outrageous.
    We are still very much in the driving seat and I would think a win at home to Norwich would probably do it.

I have, however, become a massive Bayern fan πŸ™‚

Come on Londoners…vote Boris

Cannot get enough of that goal. As a single strike, as opposed to a dribbly type goal, it must be the greatest.

238. Red Arse says:

Me too, Micky! πŸ™‚ (A Bayern fan I mean)

239. Red Arse says:

It was an instantaneous speculative strike which was just perfect!

Meanwhile, in another Universe, it hit a Toon fan in the kisser up in Row Z!!! πŸ™‚

RA,
    Nothing ventured. Life’s short. Give it a go, et al that!

241. Red Arse says:

Well I have found one guy I don’t want us to buy next Summer.

I think he is called Yang Banga Dang at Montpelier and said;

— “Playing for Manchester United would give great satisfaction and it would mean a dream could become a reality,’ he also said, “‘Arsenal too are a big team.”

I just love us being an afterthought in case Utd don’t want him.
    Stuff him!!

Brilliant idea RA,
    Let’s discuss the players we don’t want to buy πŸ™‚

I’m not entirely happy about the rumour supposedly on twister that we are about to bring Teddy Sherrigham out of retirement. I happen to think we could do better. Just saying.

In the spirit of Sir Henry Norris, does anyone think either Roy Hodgson or Paul Lambert might be bungable?

RA,
    Have you slank off, you slinky slunker?

246. henrychan - indonesia says:

RA & Micky
    Don’t buy M’Villa.. We have Song and Frimpong already..
    With his bad attitude.. Bring him to Emirates will cause us a lot of trouble like Baloteli did..

247. goonermichael says:

Shit results last night

Excellent suggestion Henrychan.
    I definately want us not to buy a defensive midfielder of any kind.

249. goonermichael says:

What a buy Cisse was

I suspect that there may be one or two sad AA’ers around today on the back of last nights’ results, but look at things this way, we could be on the brink of one of the most monumentally satisfying end of seasons. Us 3rd, Toon 4th and Chavs losing CL. The later these things are left, the more it will hurt the looooseeers πŸ™‚

GM,
    Wrong attitude. Perfect results. The pain they suffer will be more pronounced. Prolong the agony πŸ™‚

252. VCC says:

Hi GM. Hope alls well and the journey was fine. Have a great time.

253. VCC says:

Micky. Sherringham is in my top five most hated footballers.

VCC,
    Strewth VCC. There are four players above him?

255. goonermichael says:

Hi VCC. I’m not there yet. I’m in Singapore airport. Free internet here. 1pound for 10 minutes in heathrow

256. VCC says:

All I care about Micky is getting third.

This season is not doing my heart any good. Saturday is going to be very stressful for me, and at my age I cannot afford this, I want to enjoy some of my retirement money, get something back off the government. I love my bus pass, although I don’t use it, it gives me great pleasure, as does my free pills and heating allowance.

Would far sooner have my youth back though.

My brother once questioned the referee about how long he was taking to book the said Edward Sheringham from the North Bank Upper.
    “How long does it take to write down, C. U. N. T.?”

258. VCC says:

Chas, even using that word is being kind to that low life scum.

259. Red Arse says:

Well, Good Morning to all you other early birds!! πŸ™‚ And whatever time it is for you GM. πŸ™‚

Micky, I am always slinking around the other sites, and when I have slunk enough, I try to slank off with no one knowing!

More “I don’t want this guy” stuff for you. It seems that Vertonghen is a Spuds fan and they would be his preferred choice! I never wanted him anyway. Stuff him!

VCC,
    Buy a thick jumper and spend the heating allowance on alcohol.
    Chas,
    πŸ™‚

RA,
    DB10 was a Spud. There is light that can be shown to those from the dark side.

262. Red Arse says:

BTW, Micky,

I do not want anyone paraphrasing me with the incorrect verb (Chas πŸ™‚ ) such as;

“I am always stinking around the other sites, and when I have stunk enough, I try to stank off with no one knowing!”

However true that may be!! πŸ™‚

Good Morning all.
    Well there are so many combinations and scenarios that are possible but at least we have our fate in our own hands.
    European football is more or less guaranteed, but in which competition.
    IMO it has no baring on the RVP situation., others will disagree. If we really bring in quality he may well stay if not my guess is that he is off to Spain, even if we qualify for the CL. I doubt we would win it next year in any case.
    It’s been a roller coaster season and not many thought after the first two months we would be in third position today.
    Norwich and WBA suit our style of play so that is an advantage. I am hoping we make it, but i won’t lose any sleep if we don’t.

264. evonne says:

Wenger didn’t want to spend Β£10m to buy Cisse last summer. Matter of time, before somebody else comes up with this crap line πŸ™‚

What a goal, his whole leg bent somehow, never seen anything like it before

GM – have a good journey πŸ™‚

265. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, πŸ™‚

We know you are only gracing us with your presence this morning because the weather in Spain is crap!

I love that word ‘scenario’, which I think was one of Ron Atkinson’s favourites, because it covers a multitude of sins. πŸ™‚

Let me see, I think it means a sequence of events, especially when imagined, and let’s face it we all have great imaginations on here — Glic even imagines he is handsome — or was that TerryM? πŸ™‚

266. VCC says:

RA. That was TerryM, the handsome one.

GLiC’s wife has put a photo of Terry on all their mirrors, thats why the mental one thinks he is handsome. Psssss don’t tell him though, keep him amused. As I said last night he would be horrified if he knew he looked like Gollom, Poor soul.

267. VCC says:

Buenas Dias Kelsey, Como esta?

Glad your not loosing sleep over the Mighty Arsenal, hope that stays the same on Saturday.

I must say Im getting a bit nervous about our remaining two games.

Morning all,

………New post…….

269. Ch4gooner says:

We need to start believing in ourselves,as fans,as players,as the manager and as the staff that we really have the abilities to achieve our goals.we’ve got a fantastic team and a fantastic manager.All you need to do wenger is to just add some few names in form of M villa,Vertongn and Martin marvin.
    Szszcsny
    Sagna
    Koscienly
    Verminator
    Vertongn
    Song
    Mvila
    wilshire
    walcott
    podolski
    persie
    with such and that fantastic bench of Ramsey n the likes we gonna have a shout at something

270. akkuschrauber wΓΌrth…

[…]Where is The Magic Hat? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…