Mr. Wenger says the season starts here…..

The season starts here. The Boss said so?  No, the season started at Newcastle and we have one point out of nine, that’s right, one out of nine. Our worst start since Alex James took a drag from his Woodbine prior to walking onto the Highbury turf (perhaps).

Thankfully much has changed since OT and quite frankly it needed to. Lack of composure, lack of fit players, lack of tactics, lack of intelligence, lack of discipline and lack of creativity all added up to a team in excrement alley wearing open toed sandals. Arsenal’s response has been unprecedented in Wenger’s reign –  just look at the players in box on the right.

The International break reminded us of how good our players really are. Loads of goals, a number of MoM’s, and to a man they performed well. Even Theo!

Hopefully the dent to the confidence arising from the debacle at OT, has all but disappeared, which bodes ill for Swansea. This is Swansea’s first trip to The Emirates, and their first game against AFC since 1983. They play possession football and keep the ball on the ground – they should be the perfect opponents for the new style Gunners. Furthermore, Swansea have yet to score a Premiership goal.

My guess at the team:

This seems to be a conservative selection, however, when the suspensions are over and the new players have received their visas we will see some exciting teams. Our midfield and attack have so many options and I hope to see a return to the superfast football one associated with the Invincibles. The midfield pairing of Frimpong and Ramsey is likely to be the fulcrum of the team in the years to come (should Frimpong continue his development) however, they will be dependent upon Arteta to be not only creative but also authoratative. I am very excited to see our new Spaniard, and believe much of the season’s success will rest upon his slight shoulders. The arrival of our giant German is also very exciting, he is just what we have been asking for since Kolo left and I cannot understand the criticism from some sectors of the fans – if his name was shorter I would have it on the back of my new shirt (you know, the one which has been a Jonah so far this season and which will be binned if we lose today).

I would love to see The Ox come on for Theo at 60 mins and Park get 10 minutes towards the end. More likely will be Benayoun for Arshavin as the Russian tires (is it true he is the most substituted player in the PL?)  I expect the adrenalin of the Welshmen’s first visit to the THOF will wear off at 75 minutes and we will dominate the last quarter, particularly if the speedster  Chamberlain comes off the bench.

At present we hold the PL record for players sent off in consecutive games, can we add to our record and make it 4? Don’t bet against it, the referee is Andre Marriner, whose last visit to THOF was in the infamous 101 minute long game v Liverpool.

Ed “Taffy” Bowen who invented the hugely influential Radar, was born in Swansea. So was Dylan Thomas, who as everyone knows was a lifelong Gooner and had a season ticket in the East Lower.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

206 Responses to Mr. Wenger says the season starts here…..

Nice one, BR.

Enjoy the bike ride!

I heard Alex James was a non-smoker but was quite partial to a swig from a bottle such as this.

Brilliant Chas. Can you ship a few bottles for distribution during the games?

Morning all.(repasted from earlier today)

having read the transcript from Wenger’s interview yesterday i am very worried.

i think be he right or wrong Wenger’s days are numbered.he can’t give players promises yer after year about strengthening the team and in fact one could argue this is the weakest squad we now have for about 5 years.
    Take away Dein and add Kroenke into the equation and you have a marriage made in hell.
    it’s obvious Wenger has lost control despite earning 6 million a year.one could read he tried to sign exceptional players on big wages and just missed out or he never had the intention of doing that and together with restrictions from kroenke and wenger’s eye to buy a bargain we finished up panicking.
    Whatever happens this year to really complete we need two class players for every position.
    Almunia.Squillacci,denilson and Bendtner should have all been sold even at a loss in some cases,to reduce the wages that they are on.At the end of the season the same thing will happen with some of the older player.the balance is not right and the last five years of project youth has misfired,kroenke has now taken control and Wenger doesn’t like not to have full control.
    The game today means nothing except hopefully 3 points We have to hope the new signings are given an immediate chance and though no easy task with so many new players we need to get a resemblance of a good season.Personally i doubt it will happen and their will be a boardroom shuffle and Wenger will be gone.
    Finally why was wenger conveniently out of the country on the last day of the transfer day when we heard the arteta deal was on off on off on and yossi only signed because bellamy went to liverpool.is that careful planning from a big club ?

I know 80% of you will disagree with me but i believe there will be much more to come (no dandan i didn’t get out of the wrong side of the bed
    iIam being realistic this could be a pivotal season for the club for many reasons

The dempsey propsed transfer told me a lot about the policy now at the club. he is the sort of player that falls between excptionaly good and just a minimum use squad player.You can’t have a succesful club if you don’t bring in quality and don’t pay the going rate. Forget city and Chelsea we could have tried harder a lot earlier to get some more players and also offload the players who have been at the club for years on big wages but because of reoccuring injuries have played a third of the actual time.That amounts to big bucks which by the strategy adopted by the board we can ill afford.

kelsey. I agree with most of your first comment and entirely with your second (re: Clint Dempsey).

Where we differ is in the opinion that AW is under pressure or has lost control. His journey to Switzerland was proof of the change in working method at AFC. We have called for some weight to be taken off AW’s shoulders and it clearly has been.

Taking Benayoun could be considered taking a punt – decent adaptable player on offer as cover, why not? I don’t see this as panic buying. And he is on loan.

BR,
    I read it differently that he was purposely not there on the last day of the window. one of us is right 😉

talking about swansea it has the highest rate of unempoyment in the UK pro rata to populatin yet Yet Mumbles has multi million pound houses.

6. kelsey – such a conspiracy theory!!!!!!!! I don’t think he was pushed out of the way, I think he didn’t need to be here as the Gazidis team were doing the work needed or maybe I don’t ❓

7. Where is everyone?

Love that pic of Arshavin 🙂

Can’t wait to see my new Yummy One stepping onto the Emirates pitch

8. barumgooner says:

Nice post BR. I thought Pingpong was still suspended, good to see i’m wrong. I think Arshavin actually tires putting his kit on before the game, by half time he’s bloody knackered !

Sterling work form The Big Man again. Thanks Raddy, my day is improving. “So was Dylan Thomas, who as everyone knows was a lifelong Gooner”. Yeah, sure I knew that 🙂
    Chas,
    Brilliant pic. I think I may suffer from a “spasmodic affliction” if we don’t bag three convincing points today. Which we will.

Kelsey,
    Interesting points which have caused a furrowing of the Micky brow. I agree with much of what you say, however, I would be delighted if Arsene had nothing to do with transfer negotiations so don’t see the problem with him being away. As for boardroom disquiet, I’m sure you are right. Something does not sit happily with the thought of two such powerful men jckying for control, if that is indeed the case.
    Out of interest, name me a midfielder you think we should have signed, because I believe the whole supply and demand aspect went bonkers. Gotze, Schneider and Modric all with failed £40m bids as some report.

I didn’t say he was pushed out of the way peaches. I am suggesting that the way the Arteta transfer and Yossi loan deal panned out was a little way out of the norm,and up to now this Laws chap seems to be more involved than Gazidis.

Micky,

if you allow for the transfer/expenditure policy at the moment I would have had a shot at Parker especially as lansbury went to WH on loan.He would again be medium term not long term, but so is Arteta and possibly park (2 year contract).If parker is good enough for England i would have opted for him.

I just like to be realistic about things. Personally I think we will struggle this season though of course i don’t wish it and then come January other players nearing the end of their respective contracts will start making noises.
    it’s not about playing for the top clubs anymore,it’s obvious to me that the majority of players don’t need to come to Arsenal if a club like Fulham can offer more or thh same wages.
    I feel we are losing our grip as a top club.Asset rich indeed but cash poor. We need a better balance in order to try and compete.

You are not all watching Rugby are you? I must say that to help me overcome the disappointment of not going to the game, I though ok I will get into the Rugby World Cup. I have tried my absolute best and after 13 minutes was bored out of my mind.

I still haven’t expressed my self properly.I agree it is better if wenger concentrates on what he does best and we went back to the days of Wenger and dein. but i get the feeling Wenger didn’t pinpoint certain players he specifically wanted.He felt humiliated at Old trafford and started to panic and threw out a list of several players just to strengthen the side if possible.That is not the same as targeting onme particular player for months and then either securing him or not.

Kelsey,
    I do again agree with the gist of what you say, but not the detail. My question about a midfielder was, by my standards, thought through. If the best we realistically missed out on was Parker, then I disagree with you. I honestly believe both Song and Frimpong are far better. You spoke about the Arteta signing and this was certainly the key area for strengthening, but what were the alternatives? I honestly cannot think of one.
    Just to put where I stand into context, I think with the new signings and improved team spirit, we will finish fourth, which I would be happy with so long as we play great football.

Kelsey,
    I think we will have to await The Arsene Autobiography to know the truth behind that one.

Off out for a while.

18. dandan says:

Morning all, Hi Kelsey, Enjoying your morning passion, the return of match day seems to have relite your fuse my friend, go for it.

Micky,

i know you have gone out but we knew a midfield general was a top priority and everyone knew cesc was leaving for the best part of a year.Of course i don’t know who we may have tried to sign ,someone of equal standing but to leave it until the last few minutes of the window shows to me at least that someone somewhere isn’t doing their job properly.

20. barumgooner says:

morning guys, I kind of agree with what you say Kelsey and see whats happening as a change of direction, I like most gooners was horrified at the lack of action early in the window yet again, both ins and outs should have been done quicker and better. I think the board like the rest of us got fed up with the situation and intervened which is no bad thing. I strongly believe that the be all and end all for AW for the last couple of years has been Cesc and trying to keep him at all costs and it is this that has made him take his eye off the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that Wenger is a good manager (poor tactician aside) but he has not been focused 100% on the club. I think we are on the verge of a new re-juvenated Arsene who can finally put Cesc behind him and start building a squad again. In reality we have lost 2 games to 2 of our biggest rivals but they are not the games that win titles, we have to mop up the points from the smaller teams and this is where we have failed for the last few years, with Mertesacker and Arteta come a desire to win and the players already at the club want that too. I for one think this is going to be a glorious season gooners. We ARE going to win trophies this year, of that i’m sure.

if only i could watch it,dandan 🙂

22. Fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

I have to say that I agree with BR,

Wenger has been relied upon far too much since Dein left, something which has obviously taken it’s toll on the man. It’s good to see that he was out of the way on the last day of the window and I hope it means he can stay out of the boardroom shuffling a little more in future. When Arsenes head is in the team and on the field then he has always produced. When his head Is on the team, contracts, transfers, finances and boardroom then we’ve won did all.

If this Laws fella is the one doing the transfers now then that can be a good thing. Maybe the way the transfers were dealt with were down to a little inexperience on his part? At the end of the day though he still managed to get 9 players in and ship a lot of deadwood out. If he can complete the job in January then I say it’s a job well done. With the amount of transfers we required at the end of last season, could you really expect it all to be done in one window? The shift in the team would have been far too unsettling. Splitting the work between august and January makes perfect sense.

Anyway, it’s game day, so I’m staying positive until 3pm when I will start worrying!

Must get on with the list of demands the missus has left me! It’s longer than Nasri’s 🙂

kelsey. I think it is reasonable to imagine that the manager sets a list of targets for each position, the purchasing dept go for the player at the top and his agents delay – they want the best deal for their player and themselves – it is called brinkmanship. We are therefore left with very little time to negotiate a deal for no.2 or 3 if our primary target cannot be bought. I do not call that panic buying.

IMO none of the players bought is anything less than what is needed to pep up the squad. My only concern remains at RB where an injury to Sagna could be difficult (CJ may be a good player but needs to mature).

24. harry says:

Nice one raddy, thats the team I think will play, as I mentioned yestrday I would love the Ox to start, but feel he will come on at about 63mins for AA……..

Just back from trg, shower, press top, now lets get to station gotta to meet some friends then down to the Tavern to meet the motley AA crew and the warrior princess……..

Feeling good today…………..Lets get them points on the board….

Oh to be a Gooner…………

25. barumgooner says:

One thing that does still worry me though is injuries and estimated recovery times. Again already we have two key players who seem to have minor niggles only to be diagnosed far more seriously a couple of weeks later. Have we actually got trained medical staff at the club ?

26. Shameless plug for one’s own daughter’s band’s new album released on Monday that is being streamed exclusively here

barum. AW says that he knew of the injuries and that TV was due an op. According to his press conference some of the signings were made with this in mind.

What I cannot understand is if a player is crocked for a few months why not say so instead of saying 2-3 weeks?

If I could wish for anything from my club it would be transparency.

kelsey. There are other reliable streams – check LG at game time.

28. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all BR that was a great pre match until you got to the point where you declared Mariner would be ref 😀

Still that side is more than capable of defeating Swansea.

Kelsey you’ve certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons this morning.

Wenger was at a UEFA managers conference along with Fergie and AvB, didn’t the latter do deadline day business too? Was he usurped or was it a case of not his responsibility.

I will give another hypothesis:

Wenger listed ten players he wanted at the start of the summer and left it in negotiators hands to secure 3/4, or 5/6 if Cesc and Nasri left. When he went off to the conference he threatened to resign if on his return those players required in each position had not been signed.

Just because we did these deals on deadline day and no one had reported them in the media doesn’t mean that talks were not ongoing in the background, but unlike City, Barca or Bolton the other side kept negotiations quiet.

As Micky says we will have to wait for “Arsene – Mon Travail” for the truth.

GIE. Don’t blame the messenger 😉

Morning all, grta pre-match.

A win, any kind of win, an own goal, I’ll take anything. Tha’s not because I don’t htink we’ll win comfortably but just that the result is the only thing that matters and we have 2 big players returning to the side after this.

I don’t think Mert will start, apparently he only arrived in England on Thursday – he can’t even know the other player’s names yet.

I’m leaving now for the game, I haven’t heard from London or chary but hopefully both will meet us all at the Tavern.

GIE,

you said:

(Your view requires us to believe that it is Wenger who has not signed players and not been interested in signing players over the last few years (which is a media fabrication in itself as we have all seen players arrive, it just so happens we have got more for the players going out).

I don’t think i said anything of the sort unless it came over like that.Why would i have siaid wenger was not interested in signing players over the last few years.

32. dandan says:

BR as usual fine analysis, hope AA is rested for me Benny should play against the footballing sides and Swansea are definitely that

GIE good morning, My thoughts your words thank you. Conspiracy theories are all the fashion this week even the Beeb are at it re 9/11

Even Wenger has said the last couple of weeks would be the basis for a book, cant wait to read it.

DD. I read “Could be” ……

34. Gooner in Exile says:

Sorry Kelsey i just re read comments it was something Barum said not you:

“I think the board like the rest of us got fed up with the situation and intervened which is no bad thing.”

Anyone else concerned about Parks work permit? International player so why should there be a question? And how can the likes of Hernandez drop in to United with no problem (or is this the traditional Spanish connection?)

35. Jamie says:

Back from Spain. Un-tanned despite six days on the beach.

Can’t wait for the grove this afternoon. Season starts here.

Just leaving now.

Come on you reds.

36. Gooner in Exile says:

I hear London is worried that if he turns up at the Tavern someone will have a BBQ waiting for his scarf 😀

37. GiE, There should be someone camping in the front doorway of the Home Office. It’s truly amazing how long this application is taking.

I have nailed my colours firmly to the mast and stated I think Arteta will be an excellent AM for us.
    I have yet to hear one name mentioned who could have been a better option given that £40m was not enough to shift Modric, Gotze or Schneider.
    One name anyone?

39. dandan says:

And you were correct BR. lets hope it is eventually

40. barumgooner says:

GIE. I’m sorry but it is my opinion that the board intervened in this window and I stand by the fact that AW has been far too pre-occupied/obsessed with the Cesc situation to view in-comings. I do agree that these last-minute things probably weren’t as rushed through as may appear and that the manager was aware but hundreds of names were mentioned and linked to us (admittedly most fictional) and yet we failed to land any of them with our long-winded negotiations and lack of interest.

41. barumgooner says:

Micky. Agree, i’ve always liked Arteta, and benny for that matter. Whatever happened at the end of the tw i dont really care because the outcome was good and we gained some good fresh players.

42. Gooner in Exile says:

Barum…and thats what makes football great, everyone has a different opinion.

I’m pleased the window is shut and we can all concentrate on whats important now. Imagine what it would be like without a defined window, I don’t think I could bare the constant rumouring..

43. dandan says:

#afc: Szczesny; Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs; Frimpong Ramsey; Walcott Arteta Arshavin; Van Persie.
    5 minutes ago Favorite

44. barumgooner says:

True GIE. I think i’d go a bit mad to be honest. Still hoping Cahill signs in Jan though…… haha

45. barumgooner says:

Cant wait for Gerv to replace the little Russian. This is his last game to serve isn’t it ? Other than that it’s a quality side.

46. TotalArsenal says:

Great match write-up BR 🙂 I love it the way you always try to refer back to the past when you can, and make references to important inventions/inventors related to the club’s hometown that we are playing against.

COYRRG!!

Arsenal substitutes: Fabianski, Santos, Djourou, Benayoun, Chamakh, Park.

Arsenal: Szczesny; Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs; Frimpong Ramsey; Walcott Arteta Arshavin; Van Persie.

Br,well done.

i hope Arshavin tracks back to help Gibbs.So park must have got his work permit.

49. Gooner in Exile says:

Shame no Ox on the bench. No Jenkinson, Rosicky,

You no with a full strength squad (as unlikely as that is in Arsenal world) there would be a lot unhappy players who won’t even make the bench.

50. gunnern5 says:

Frankly I don’t give a toss as to what happened in the transfer window, after all we can only speculate as to why things occured and why we only got busy on the last day — but it’s all history now.

We are what we are, and we have the players that we have.

Not that bad a group of players, so let’s just sit back, watch, and hopefully enjoy. We have an easy run of games so in 5/6 weeks time we may be singing a more joyful tune.

51. Gooner in Exile says:

Listening on the wireless….Ramsey missed early chance, Szczesney with a good save, heart in mouth there, not good for the blood pressure when you only have what you can hear.

Sounds like the crowd could do with upping the atmosphere a notch or two.

52. Gooner in Exile says:

Arteta taking a corner …… Hooray!

53. Gooner in Exile says:

Raddy got one wrong, Atwell refs not Mariner.

Just as bad!

54. gunnern5 says:

Arteta is looking great.

55. gunnern5 says:

It’s the first time I can remember us having a flag pole in defense.

56. oz gunner says:

like seeing AA floating around in a sort of do as you please role. When Verm comes back we actually will be dangerous from set pieces again, can’t remember the last time i’ve felt that way

57. gunnern5 says:

38 minutes into the game and our crowd sing for the first time, what a bunch of dead squids!

58. gunnern5 says:

AA was just given a gift – which he quickly deposited into the goal.

59. goonermichael says:

just read acouple of comments aboy AA and he’s scored 🙂

60. oz gunner says:

great finish, i know it was an empty net but tight angle. G5 your right after all the good publicity from the manu game in regards to the support i thought the crowd would be fired up

61. TotalArsenal says:

OZ, Gunner5, are you watching the game? I cannot get a good stream at the moment.

62. oz gunner says:

When is walcott going to play to his strengths?! kick it and run

63. gunnern5 says:

Arshavin has been at his old time best in the first half, welcome back!

64. oz gunner says:

sure am TA, always get the arsenal games live in oz

65. gunnern5 says:

Total Arsenal, Yes in Canada we are fortunate to get the games live.

66. TotalArsenal says:

I am jealous! We needed a bit of luck, and we got it.

67. oz gunner says:

solid defence, great first half from AA. Walcott has played his usual game, he has to stamp his mark in the team before the ox grabs it off of him

68. gunnern5 says:

Yea, Walcott is his usual self, still not good enough.

His shots always curve away from the far post, if he just banged it into the box we might at least get rebounds.

69. oz gunner says:

just flicking over to the man city game, that el habsi is a quality keeper! Yet another one of those keepers that played out of their skin against us (given, green, carson, foster) when we played wigan last year

70. oz gunner says:

agreed G5, i’d much rather see him play on the left for that very reason

Said it so many times, but Theo is most effective from the left cutting in onto his right foot.
    Mert and Arteta settled in well. Missing Gerv for cutting edge.

Fortunate goal.Arteta is fitting in well.Kos is playing great.Ramsey should have scored.Frimpong needs to watch it otherwise he will get more cards than appearances.my stream isn’t great but agree AA looks his old self,and although a cock up by the keeper and defender he took the goal well.
    Still feel our defence on the few times they have been asked to defend crosses still looks shaky.
    hopefully a second goal and considering our last result and we have used 25 players already this season not too bad but not great.

73. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey, I agree a quick second goal will settle the nerves. We were lucky not to be a goal down, great save from Sczney.

Liverpool losing. Ha.

75. gunnern5 says:

By the way, Swansea play very attractive football.

76. gunnern5 says:

MD89, Yes but if only is was not to Stoke………………

77. oz gunner says:

god everytime a swansea player gets a touch to the head they stay down for the count…weak!really sh*ts me weak players

78. oz gunner says:

Good on AA for speaking to walcott and settling him down, got to play until the whistle is blown not stand with your hands in the air

79. TotalArsenal says:

Lansbury scored for WH

80. TotalArsenal says:

It sounds like AA is having a ‘free’ role: what does that mean for Arteta and Ramsey?

81. oz gunner says:

@ TA

i hope we keep lansbury because he has what it takes and if his under 21 games are anything to go by he will be top notch.

AA is the best AM in the squad,so its great seeing him play where he’s best. He seems alot more determined aswel, tracking back, having pot shots, creating, i love it!

Walcott can’t win a 50/50 tackle.We are making hard work of this.

Now he takes off Arshavin who is having his best game for months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83. TotalArsenal says:

Dortmund are trailing 2-1 at home to Hertha Berlin at the moment.

84. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey, In taking off AA -I think he’s thinking of Tuesday’s game.

85. gunnern5 says:

The crowd are bloody pathetic.

86. oz gunner says:

i’d be taking frimpong off for coquelin because he looks buggered.

Agree kelsey don’t agree with that sub

87. TotalArsenal says:

Are Ramsey and Arteta still on the pitch? Have not heard their names on the radio for ages!

88. oz gunner says:

@ TA

yeah still on, Arteta is sitting deeper in CM, both a bit quite

89. gunnern5 says:

a very nervous 17 minutes left.

90. gunnern5 says:

We are playing for loss avoidance, could hit us right in the face.

91. gunnern5 says:

Coqu replaces Frim ……………

take walcott off for park maybe.

you were right oz

93. gunnern5 says:

Some of the crowd just woke up with a very weak … come on Arsenal……….

This side is shadow of the team of 6 months ago, and it is swansea we are playing.something is missing.

95. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey, we are missing fervent supporters.

96. goonermichael says:

Kelsey
    Six moths ago wasn’t that great either

97. gunnern5 says:

Chambles replaces VP

is he saving rvp as well, bad move we are just about holding on and rvp was the one man who could score again

99. oz gunner says:

Agree kelsey, its one player…wilshere

100. gunnern5 says:

Ramsey slows our play down he goes back more than forward.

101. oz gunner says:

poor chamma, all the bloke needs is a goal to get out of the rutt. great cross by gibbs. love the energy of coquelin

102. gunnern5 says:

Benny adds a lot of energy.

103. gunnern5 says:

The only saving grace so far iis that Swansea are more inept in front of goal than us…………..

104. gunnern5 says:

3 on 1 and Ramsey gave the ball away -good grief.

105. oz gunner says:

@ G5

i think we just needed a win tbh, a simple settler to calm the nerves. the team is still getting used to one another aswel

How on earth did ramsey miss that 4 on 1 though?

106. gunnern5 says:

It’s all Swansea……..

107. gunnern5 says:

It should be 1-1

108. gunnern5 says:

It’s over – we accept the gift.

Even allowing for allexcuses under the sun we got really lucky to win that game.how graham missed i will never know.swansea bossed the second half and deserved a point.We are all over the place defensively, no one stamping authority in midfield.wilshere and vermaelen are a big miss. Any other team would have got at least a point.I wanted to believe that surely as professionals they would get over th OT game but that was a poor poor performance whichever way you look at it. A lot of work to be done for us to resemble a team that can challenge for anything.I half expected it as well, that’ the sorry part.

110. California Gooner says:

Barely enough. It shows that in a game based around fast, precision passing, even a little bit of dis-coordination can make the who thing look rather pedestrian. I understand why our players looked like they haven’t played much together, because they haven’t. I’m less clear on why Swansea seemed to beat us to so many loose balls.

Oh by the way i haven’t seen anything today to convince me about walcott. Song was a big miss today.Well at least we have a stronger team to chose from for the next game. Win was great, entertainment factor poor and general performance pretty poor.

Kelsey,
    I really hope we don’t hear the post Utd confidence line. There was a chronic lack of urgency. Swansea certainly deserved a point.
    Theo is totally wasted on the right and I’m afraid Ramsey simply does not fit this set up. He will be a superb Gerrard type of player one day.

Micky,

we will hear the one about international break and no real sharpness in the team.one can spin it anyway you like, we were lucky to win.

114. Gooner in Exile says:

My Dads text from the Ems probably sums up your experiences. “A win, but what agony”

Judging by the radio sounded like Chesser acquitted himself well.

But also sounds like the same old problem….lack of cutting edge up front, how I hope the Gerv cures that. I can’t understand how Nasri comes off the bench and provides an assist in minutes for Aguero but he rarely did it for RvP and in truth RvPs goals from assists are few and far between most are self created, does he put himself in the right position?

Sorry, i never expected us to win by 3 or more goals as was suggested by some.This team needs some mental physciatry.

Ah yes, the International Break. Yip, that should keep one or two happy 🙂

GIe,

defensively we were really poor in the second half.swansea bossed the game.

I completely forgive people like me who leave five mins early at evening games as last train going Westwards leaves so early, but a three KO on saturday!! Why?

119. oz gunner says:

it is a worry in terms of creation, loved AA’s game, i’d be a very happy man if he played with that sort of spirit for 60mins a game. Ramsey stops play and walcott does nothing and its hurting us. Gerv in for walcott and we will create alot more and be far more dangerous. Szes just keeps getting better and better, that save at the 6min mark was amazing. Chamma was unlucky not to score,if confident he would of buried it. You chuck gerv, wilshere, song, and verm into that team and we are 100% better

120. oz gunner says:

@ Kelsey

it didn’t help when we were creating nothing so the ball rebounded far to quickly (not like us to not control the game), plus frimpong and ramsey were out on their feet. My positives were kozza, AA, and Scez. All 3 played really well

GiE,
    I have not seen Nasri’s assist, but my money says they moved at speed allowing more space to play Aguero in to. We still trundle up to the oppo. box giving them time to get six men behind the ball. We simply make life very hard for ourselves.

122. California Gooner says:

By the way, none of the new guys particularly impressed. Mertesacker looked nervous, Arteta OK, and Benayoun a bit lost in a side that had lost it’s shape. A win is fine, and they will bed in, but somehow I expected them to come with a lot of energy. Instead I saw a lot of tentativeness.

My son disappeared upstairs at the final whistle. He has just reappeared. He tells me he has flogged Theo from his Sony Footie Game!
    Wise boy has just signed Oxo 🙂

124. California Gooner says:

Micky, here is Nasri’s assist… a Silva back heel really created the opening. Nasri just tapped it along.

We will be vastly improved and more direct with Jack, Song and Gerv.
    Is there a better keeper than Sz right now?

California,
    Brilliant. Well done. The ball was moved very quickly as I thought.

No he is fine keeper BUT was at fault in the last minute for graham to squander a chance.

Apart from an o.k. performance what worries me more than the team needing adjusting to each other is that Wenger takes of arguably our two best players on the day.We were only 1-0 up and are only 4 games into the season, Cl coming up or not.
    arteta will come good,started brightly and faded.

United 3-0 up in 30 minutes that makes our goal difference minus 20 against them after 3 and a half games. I feel sick.

129. neamman says:

I thought Ramsey played well and Arteta had a good game. Even AA was better than recent games. Once again we miss a clinical threat in the box…

130. dandan says:

3 points gained, first game together got through, a whole crop of suspensions worked off, So many Gks have played out of there skins at the Ems that we deserved that bit of luck.. Tension in the crowd got to the players. We will be a better side for that outing. teams are not built overnight but the defence held up and a clean sheet is nice.

People moan when we don’t win ugly or hang on to a lead but when we do still they are not happy. We won full stop. hands up who wouldn’t take a one nil every week till Christmas

131. gooner lost in cornwall says:

kelsey,
    Just got in and read some of your earlier stuff @19;58 AND 10:46, It`s great to read some stuff from someone who has shed the “rose tints” and give/have a realistic view.
    Every former Arsenal player,fan and his dog thought Parker was a “no brainer” apart from Arsene!

good reading.

132. TotalArsenal says:

Well said DanDan, an important three points and a clean sheet. People expect miracles straightaway: we lost 8-2 two weeks ago, we signed half a team of new players since, everybody buggers off to play international games, and Arsene has three days to gel a team…. It’s not Rocket Science, is it…

1-0 is all we needed. Dortmund next, without the edgy home crowd I am confident we will perform better. We need to take it game by game, and focus on the positives.

133. SharkeySure says:

Just in from the game.

First off pleasure to meet Rasp, Warrior Princess, Harry, and the three lovely offsprings.

MoM for me was Mr Koscielny. Impressive from start to finish.

I thought Arteta took the conductors baton from Chessc in an almost seamless handover. Impressive start from our new signing.

Groan of the match for me was the subs today. I just cannot understand how Ramsey was left to run himself into the ground like that. He was in serious risk of injuring himself today. its not like he’d been resting up all week!!

Laugh of t he match. I was sat beside this absolute nutter. Friendly enough bloke with almost too much banter, but he really came out with some corkers.

Best of the day had to be..oooh look Benayoun’s coming on’. Who for someone asks. ‘For us’ replies this lunatic. I missed the next 30secs of the game doubled up with laughter.

Back in a bit

134. Rob Lucci says:

“Players lose you games, not tactics. There’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.”

Brian Clough

135. Danny says:

Wish we’d start playing with 2 forwards and not always with Robin on his own. Was also hoping to see Park today – maybe soon – the 2 of them up front. At least the “luck” was in our favour today, we’ve been too long without some.

136. Thanks Sharkey, good to hear from someone who was there. In follow up to your comment on Kosser someone posted this stat on Twitter:

“Laurent Koscielny has a 91% aerial duel success rate in the PL this season. Gary Cahill – 59%, Phil Jagielka – 60%, Chris Samba – 25%.”

And judging by United’s start against Bolton I’m guessing Cahill is not having a particularly good game?

I can understand why RvP was rested, I wouldn’t be expecting AA23 to start in CL, but maybe Ramsey will get the breather, by all accounts on radio AA23 was playing well centrally so is it possible he will start with Song, Arteta and AA23 in midfield? Theo and Gerv wide, RvP up front? Very creative if thats the case, as long as we make a solid base behind that front four could look very exciting.

137. Jamie says:

Just home from the grove.

Agree that Arteta was good. Thought Mertesacker was shaky but ok.

We played well for and hour.

I disagree with whoever said that Ramsey run out of steam, i thought he was poor from the start. He is a good player though.

We needed Frimpong to stay on.

At least it was three points, a clean sheet and we can watch match of the day without hiding behind the sofa.

138. SharkeySure says:

Jamie. Agreed re Ramsey. Towards the end we were almost playing with ten men.

After the week he’d just had, I thought he might not start. Oncehe had and was not playing well, he should not have remained out there that long.

139. SharkeySure says:

Cheers GiE. I absolutely love Kozzer, and I was singing his praises to anyone who would listen on the way in today.

Everytime suggestions are made about our new first choice 11, everyone seems to leave Kozzer out, as if its a no brainer.

Kozzers got everything, aerial prowess, pace, great in one on ones, and he even drives us forward when things go a bit flat in front of him

140. Jamie says:

I wouldn’t be suprised if he plays Frimpong and Song protecting the back four with Arteta in front of them in Dortmund and give Ramsey a few days.

Wengser says the team were nervous.Fine, even allowing for all the excuses under the sun we were poor.This was swansea we were playing.doesn’t wash with me,sorry. The players that will come back will make us stronger but by all acounts it might take quite a time for the team to gel and by then the season as far as top 4 will be over.Any other half decent team would have beaten us today. The slide started months ago for reasons which will eventaually come out and it will take more than a few signings toin January to turn this season round.
    I cannot be positive about the team for this season, at least for the moment.

142. SharkeySure says:

For me Gibbs played lie someone winding down his career not starting.

When/If I see Wayne Bridge on loan at a Championship side next week, I’d expect him to play with the lack of enthusiasm and gusto that I saw in Gibbs today. He really needs to exert himself more in both directions.

143. Jamie says:

Kozzer was brilliant today. The point is we now have three decent centrebacks which means when Vermaelen is out like today, there is no need to panic, Would like to see the midfield three impose themselves a bit more.

144. SharkeySure says:

Coq for Frimpong was pretty much a waste of a substitution in my book, even though Coq was neat and tidy when he came on.

145. Jamie says:

I thought Gibbs played ok.

146. SharkeySure says:

“Would like to see the midfield three impose themselves a bit more.”

Oh for Wilshere in Ramseys place today, that would have answered your prayers. Arteta’s at the front door, Frimpong’s got the back door covered, and today we had Ramsey failing to really support either of them.

Fair do’s to him though, as I really don’t think he should have started, and he certainly should not have been asked to play more than 60mins

147. SharkeySure says:

**** me, Arshavin !!! Just how unfit can any professional footballer be..??

Great finish, and he actually started quite well I thought, But after about 30mins or so, he just got lazier and lazier. I can only imagine what thoughts pass amongst the subs on the bench watching him put in so little effort.

148. dandan says:

If all the crowd at the ems feels like you Kelsey my friend then don’t expect any atmosphere at all……. The old Maxim if you think you are going to lose then you will still holds true today. Winning they say is a habit and we had our first win today lets celebrate that.

149. Sharkey the only justification is perhaps putting on Coq to get a winning feeling after the OT debacle?

150. Sharkey the thought that passes through their head is “i’ll be on soon!”

I just tell it as i feel,nothing about my love for the club.
    We are in a mess from the boardroom down to the tea lady, yet so many of you can’t see it.

If we were mid table or worse every season, so be it, but we have literally collapsed from fighting on 4 fronts in feb to just beating swansea today.

152. gooner lost in cornwall says:

SharkeySure.
    There should be no excuse for any professional footballer to be unfit nowadays, but of all the laziest f%&ckers I`ve seen in an Arsenal shirt, Arshavin takes the biscuit!, If only he had some of Geordie Armstrong`s DNA!

153. gooner lost in cornwall says:

kelsey.

Same thought`s here mate, sad to say.

glic,

some say i am negative i believe i am being realistic.

Also dandan my friend (and you really are my friend) how often do you hear the crowd really encouraging the team at home.Our away supporters put the home crowd to shame every time.

Right off now before I upset anyone else 🙂

Big match tomorrow morning. Good Night

156. Jamie says:

I had a fight behind me between two gooners in the west upper.

They don’t get behind the team.

157. gooner lost in cornwall says:

kelsey,
    I find that on other sites, too many heads are in cloud cuckoo land, that`s why I prefer AA.
    Being realistic is good, the landing is much softer!

158. harry says:

Evening Guys, well some very mised views there, some I find quite bewildering, some on the nail……….

You’ll get my views in the match report tomorrow……………….

Sharkey, good to catch up with you again, get there earlier next time and we can have a longer chat!!

Great to See the Dark-Haired Warrior Princess and her trusty Knight in Arms, Sir Rasp’er…………….

Where was London and Red Arse? tut tut……

Raddy ended his article with

“”””This is not a game for fancy football, it is a game where the 3 points are essential for the well-being of us supporters, anything less and we face another week of ridicule and shame.”””

Raddy whats the midweek lottery numbers big fella?

3points end of…………..

159. SUGA3 says:

it was very nice to meet you today 😉

as for the game: phew…

160. harry says:

Hi Suga3, yeah good to meet you as well, and yes phew!!! Got to write my match report now!! not easy…….

161. SUGA3 says:

will deffo give it a read…

162. TotalArsenal says:

Is it a cheap excuse to use the international break as a reason for an under-par performance? This weekend the German champions lost, and the Spanish and Italian champions drew… may say something.

The only ‘big league’ exception are the English champions, who are simply flying at the moment 😦 ;(

163. SharkeySure says:

Right just read the post (no rush ‘eh). Cracking write up Mr Radders.

Shit street in sandals..lol

Right, now for the comments

164. evonne says:

Sharkey @6:35 – that’s classic 🙂

165. SharkeySure says:

Alright ETL. Where were you today..?? I was sat with some 80 yr old who kept trying to touch my knee. I think he might have been Polish..??

Re the ‘For us’ comment. He never actually said it as a joke, as he tried to explain it away afterwards.

If he’d said it as a joke I would have bought him a pint for being so quick witted.

Great to meet peaches, Rasp plus Raspette, Harry and the boys today. Sorry to have missed you Sharkers.

Three points and 11 players still on the pitch at the final whistle. 🙂

I had a bit of a disagreement with the negative boys who sit to my left. Not sure how I’m going to last the season without getting into some trouble. “I pay my money, I can say what I like”. No wonder the atmosphere at home is so dire.

167. SUGA3 says:

chas,

has to be said, we did not play very well, did we?

168. Gooner in Exile says:

Chas and that’s the problem.

I think the “they must earn my support” mentality has come about from the early Wenger years, when he made it very easy to go along and cheer the team. I thought after going to the Liverpool game things may be changing but clearly from today’s evidence a very quiet crowd demonstrates we’re no further forward with that.

169. London says:

No we didn’t Suga, what did you think of it?

170. I haven’t seen anything of the game, Sounds bad. Should I watch MOTD or live in blissful ignorance?

171. SUGA3 says:

London,

good bits: another great performance from Szczesny, Arteta showing some good passes and link up play with RvP, Mertesacker using his height nicely, but a bit on the slow side…

and I loved AA’s cheeky goal too!

bad bits: all our three Brits on the field, the less is said, the better…

172. London says:

Today’s performances of Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs and Frimpong are going to make Wengers next team selection really easy.

I am convinced that Wenger likes to be in a position of: don’t say I didn’t give you a chance, this way when they are moved to the bench they are not bitter.

Arteta was quality where as Ramsey was average, Walcott is fine when a team is coming on to us like manu but is lost when the opposition park the bus as Swansea did today, Gibbs was average who I expect to be replaced in the not too distant future by Santos. Goodness only knows why some of you are criticising the substitutes, Frimpong looked more unfit than Arshavin. I thought the Russian wasn’t so bad for the first hour.

All in all these players are going to becoming more and more familiar with the bench every week as the experience makes it’s way to the front and then we will have a decent side.

173. London says:

Suga

All four of them I would say.

174. London says:

GM

Three points, that’s all today was about.

175. SUGA3 says:

four? you mean Frimpong?

I don’t think he was that bad…

but what I noticed, was Theo not being his usual pacy self, I recall him jogging with the ball where the situation begged for a run…

176. TotalArsenal says:

Hi London, where you at the game? What did you make of Arteta: did he ever so slightly make you forget about the other Spaniard (who incidentally scored again today)?

177. harry says:

Still rambling through my match report, thought just see what you lot are chatting about….

What I would say about the crowd and you should all know by now, i Criticise them constantly, there was a spell for about 1omins towards led by the red action and clockenders a rousing chorus of “We love you arsenal” constantly sang and quite a few stood, it nearly took off but it was still good to see……..

I agree GIE, too many ” Must earn my support”, it works both ways nuggets……….. Chas I’ll come and sit with you and I’ll throw them off the top tier for you!! negativity doesnt help one bit…….

178. Just watched the highlights on 101 great goals

My thought
    Gibbs may have been bad (hard to tell from the Hl) but at least he can cross.
    Arteta will create chances
    Chesney is way ahead of the manc keeper and looks like he could be the best thing since sliced hovis.
    walcott is average. Was he moaning again?
    we will obviously get better.
    We got 3 points.

179. SUGA3 says:

Walcott was shocking today, some people were asking what is left if you take away his pace, I guess they have got their answer…

180. TotalArsenal says:

Hi SUGA3, TW scored 3 goals in 6 games and won a penalty at OT. He has got pace and a very decent first touch. He performs best if he has lots of space and gets the right service. Theo is our most productive player and a great ‘weapon’ to have.

181. SUGA3 says:

TA,

notice the word ‘today’ 😉

and it is probably not the best of ideas to play him if the opposition is not going to give him that space at any point…

IMO, he is not a very good footballer, I mean, you would expect a professional to be able to dribble past an opposition player?

plus, he lacks discipline, his yellow card was stupid, he should be docked wages for that, ditto Song for his stamp on Barton…

especially the latter, if you don’t play for three weeks, you don’t get paid for three weeks, simples…

182. Song was stupid. He should have stamped on his face though!

183. TotalArsenal says:

S3 – agreed about not playing Theo today from the start. That would have made sense 🙂

However, dribbling past a player is not a necessity for being a good footballer imo. His skills of a good first touch, speed, decent finisher and good assists, go along way for me.

You are not the only one critical of him, but I just don’t think it is right given his stats. He is a very valuable player to our squad.

184. SUGA3 says:

well, I would say that a wide player needs that ability, it’s nothing but blind alley runs otherwise…

185. London says:

Suga

I agree, Walcott was pants today.

186. oz gunner says:

Walcott has come out and said he would have a different persona this season, and so far whats good about it? he whinges to refs, throws his hands in the air, and stops for fouls when they haven’t been given yet! get on with the game son!

I don’t know why some of you are complaining about the subs?!frimpong was out of his feet, thats why ramsey was sitting back to cover and frimpong pretty much moved out to the left (his passing was evident of just how much he had left in the tank). Also who cares if AA can only last 60mins, from what i seen he was the AA of old, he even tracked back a fair few times. If he gets let loose in that free and finds top form again we have the best attacking midfielder in the league…its as simple as that!

@ Kelsey

yes it was swansea, but perhaps the players took it easy and didn’t pay them the respect, but if it was better opposition we would of pulled our finger out! isn’t that what arsenal is known for? (lose to West Brom one week, destroy chelsea the next)

The pressure was on, we had new players blooding in, previous game we got belted so the confidence was low, a win no matter how was what the doctor ordered!

The only thing that worries me is the mental side of this team, alot has been said about the destruction that came about after the carling cup game, but after being belted by manure, why wasn’t the team firing on all cylinders and looking for blood? they should of started like a house on fire in the first 20 minutes. I’ve seen AFL teams lose by 100+ points, get ripped to shreads by the coach and fired up all week, then comes the next game and they play like men possessed!

GET ANGRY ARSENE and THE TEAM!

Arteta was great, Walcott was abysmal. He cannot continue to be allowed to take to the pitch and yet contribute so little.

oz is spot on, he is a big baby always looking to th ref with his arms in the air when he is tackled instead of getting up and trying to regain possession. His ball skills are Championship level and he seems incapable of using his pace unless he gets a lucky break and the balls runs kindly for him.

188. Gooner in Exile says:

A small thing I’ve seen from Walcott that I will praise haven’t watched MotD yet.

But I have seen the goal it came from his shot, ok the shot was not great but back to goal he did a trick and quick turn to give himself a yard for the shot.

As for needing to dribble past a man if you’re a winger. There’s not many that can even Beckham best English winger for decades couldn’t do it, but he took good positions and could cross a ball. As Micky says play Theo on the left and he can cut in onto his only foot. He isn’t a right winger.

I’m going to guess Hansen will say Liverpool deserved to win as they had all possession….if he does I will be writing a letter of complaint. As for Kennys rant about four matches and four controversial decisions not going his way….sounds like Rafa…and he has clearly forgotten the offside goal at Emirates.

189. SUGA3 says:

GiE,

you are not implying that AW is not using his players to the very best of his abilities, are you?

as for that offside goal, it would not change a thing, we’d still have lost…

190. SUGA3 says:

*their abilities

191. Gooner in Exile says:

Suga

My opinion counts for shit compared to AWs.

Not saying it would have I’m wondering what decision went against Liverpool at our place, four games four bad decisions according to him.

Having just watched Man U Bolton highlights anyone want to put a value on Vermaelen if Cahill is £17m? Seriously first two goals he was nowhere.

192. SUGA3 says:

GiE,

I was only jesting, you know my opinion on the AW’s abilities, don’t you?

anyway, I will look forward to that match report, good night 😉

193. harry says:

Well match report done, off to bed, hope it meets the recent high standrads on here…..

TV is worth 30million……..when fit!!!

194. oz gunner says:

@ suga3

i don’t know about that, take away the offside goal and i don’t think the second would of came about, it would of been a draw.

GiE

the pressure has definently got to cahill so far this season, he has been terrible. Kozza and verm are considerably better than him

Haha Harry, thanks for your support.
    I virtually said the same thing to my younger bro yesterday, that if you’d been there, you might have lamped one of them!

I just remembered that near the end of the game when the Swansea fans were singing, ‘Your support is f*ckin shit’, I stood up and joined in with, ‘OUR support is f*ckin shit’.
    I was a little wound up by this stage!

How did your champagne lunch go, RA?

196. pat says:

a rough 1-0 win will take that!

3 points guys alot of work to do but at least we got the points.

We needed three points, I didn’t care how we got them because the new boys will undoubtedly make the team play differently and they need to bed in.

Loved the way Arteta just slipped into the other spaniard’s shoes and he’s much prettier – how fickle am I 🙂

Koscielny will be an Arsenal legend – I love watching him and he doesn’t look anything like my other favourite centre-back of all time 😆

Lovely to meet up with Harry and his boys, Chas and Suga 3 at the pub. All the usual suspects were missed. Where’s Carlitto?

Morning all,

not around this morning so just a few further thoughts on the game prior to the match Report.

If we all had the same opinin it wouldn’t make it such an excellent blog.
    I watched the game again and even allowing for new players to bed in we have lost one vital ingredien that was always our strength and hat is finshing a game strongly and in the ascendency.
    4 games in and the majority f players look flat,tired,call t what you will and I ask myseld why.
    This was our first league win since early May and the tam are emotional drained and it shows,the andrelin is not flowing.

Arteta will be a good signing,given a few games,but is this really the Arsenal way to panic buy at the last minute and then expect immediate good results.
    We have better players to come in and as yet I can’t comment on Santos but gibbs is a good back up, yet defensively on another day we could have conceded at leat two goals.if mertsacker makes a difference we will se.
    kos had a good game but as i have stated he never goes through a game without giving away a stupid free kick and he will tot up his yellows quite quckly.
    Those who know my stance on Walcott know it doesn’t change.bought for 5 million then to 12 and a possible 17 dependent on international games is a very costly buy for our club.

I will revert back later why i think it has been a total cock up by the board that has left us in this position,and if acted sooner many of our defencies would not be here today.
    it is not a time after 4 games to start experimenting,having used 26 players already even allowing for injuries.

Kelsey Morning,
    You often say that you must go before upsetting people, but I cannot see why. You have your view and it offers balance and room for debate.
    I do wish you would suggest an alternative to the Arteta signing though. I do agree with you that Arsene’s comments on the window were intriguing to put it mildly.

My view on one aspect of the window is that I think there was an almighty cock up with Lille.

201. harry says:

morning all,

Lol chas, nice one mate, wished i been there for that…….

There was a 10min spell towards the end when a couple of groups did constantly sing, but many failed to get into it, all around sat still!!

Fans have so much gotta to realise how a strong vocal support keeps a team going when they are on their chin straps……

I await the barrage of comments from my ratings, a feel a day of jousing ahead!! take it easy on me……lol….

Harry,
    You gave Theo a 1 didn’t you? 🙂

Okedoke, back later.

204. New Post ……………………

205. pat says:

agree with what is said about Walcott – he is a good player when he plays to his strengths. It seems he is trying to prove he has ball skills – trying too hard at that instead keeping it basic

206. I am just getting started on the Internet. I am retired now. It seems like there are millions of blogs on the Internet today and the more I read the more I want to comment on them. I think I really appreciate the basics of what you have here in this …

[…]Mr. Wenger says the season starts here….. « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…