Four days that shook The Emirates

That was a very strange few days. We spend years carefully, slowly building squads, with obscure players brought in from far and wide, punctuated with highly profitable sales. This modus operandi became familiar to all of us. But in this transfer window, that has all been ripped up, culminating in an insane final evening yesterday. To recap:

Brought into the squad: Arteta, Mertesacker, Benayoun, Park, Santos, Jenkinson, Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Miayichi (and Campbell was also signed)

Sold: Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy, Eboue, Traore, Emmanuel-Thomas, Randall, Cruise and Sunu

Loaned out: Denilson, Bendtner, Lansbury, Vela, Wellington, Bartley, Afobe, Bothelho, Galindo and Campbell

That is a scale of business we simply haven’t seen before, ever. And in addition to the new youngsters, seeing the recruitment of solid, experienced players, some from within the PL, some from elsewhere, also marks a break with the past.

We can pick over the bones of how the summer was managed another time, and there will be those who continue to query how we can be ambitious and make trading profits (I reckon we’ve made something like £20m this summer). But what cannot be denied is that our squad today is deeper and stronger than it was a week ago. Before Sunday’s decimation at Old Trafford, we were already screaming for signings to be made; the crescendo only grew louder when those eight goals were shipped, despite the fact the team on display that day was freakishly weakened.

I reckon our strongest starting XI is now:

That is a line-up that should give any opponents cause for concern. Also, the very fact that we’ll now be able to debate whether Ramsey or Koscielny or Gibbs or Benayoun or Arshavin etc should be in ahead of the eleven I’ve listed means we are in a far healthier state than we were. There will be competition for places, alternatives for the manager and education for raw youngsters like Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Miyaichi. And as Jack W’s superb tweets through yesterday evening showed, these signings will lift the squad at a time when morale was in danger of collapsing.

However, let’s not pretend it’s all rosy. Arteta and Benayoun are talented, experienced, creative players with substantial PL pedigrees. But neither one can match the talents of Fabregas. And Mertesacker is undeniably slow, which given our naive fondness for a high defensive line, could create difficulties. We’ll also have to see whether Santos and Park can make meaningful contributions when called upon. And above all else, this revolutionary change to our squad means that there is a hell of a lot of work for Wenger and the coaching team to do to assimilate the new elements into the squad after the international break. Having already given up eight points, we need to get our season going quickly, and that means these new Gunners need to knit together immediately.

Is this squad better than the one that last season promised so much but ultimately failed so miserably? Difficult to say with so many unknown factors, but plenty of Gooners will have a spring in their step this morning. Quite a contrast to the miserable embarrassment we all felt after Sunday.

Come on Swansea, let’s be having you!

Written by 26may1989

180 Responses to Four days that shook The Emirates

1. Illybongani says:

Nice one 26may – I think the thing that strikes me the most is 19 players out, although only 9 of those would be considered to play. A cull indeed. Your chosen XI would be the choice of most people I would guess. Let’s see how many times this season it takes the field. With our injury record I would suggest it probably won’t ever happen.

2. Goon Fishing says:

Menoschester City – Menos que un club

3. TotalArsenal says:

Great post 26, positive and well balanced. What a great night it was!

In most positions we now have an experienced player and a young, talented player. As you said, with Arteta and Benayoun we have players who are experienced and can help the likes of Ramsey, Coquelin and Wilshere to reach their full potential. There is now no longer constant pressure on the youngsters, and that is very important for them to flourish (just look back at Ramsey in the last few weeks, and you know what I mean).

For me Wilshere is Cesc’s long term replacement, and as he showed last season he is both keen and capable to take on the responsibility. Around him we should build our team, supported by Ramsey and Song and the experienced players we signed on a crazy, carnavalesque night.

The season begins here (with CL in the bag).

26. Fine post.

As you say a monumental shift from the traditional Arsenal. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

5. Red Arse says:

Morning 26, 🙂

Excellent and morale boosting Post, done late last night to boot. 🙂

Mind you it only confirms my suspicions about you and GIE being Vampire Men, out and about blogging while us ordinary mortals lie quaking in our beds.

Well maybe not Evonne, she has a penchant for a shapely vampire knee. 🙂

6. Wonderman says:

Maybe all those people who have claimed Wenger is stubborn will have to rethink. We have now seen not only an unprecedented far east tour but movement of players of a massive proportion. I agree with Total , Jack is Cesc’s successor.

And I would say to all those worried about Per’s pace, is John Terry quick ? our defending could do with some vorsprung durch technik !!

7. Red Arse says:

I understand that we had a hit list of approximately 20 players we were interested in, and either because they were unavailable (Hazard) or over-priced (M’Villa) the search went on until near 11 p.m.

Exciting stuff and a good night on the blog!! 🙂

Super analysis 26m,

There are three things in particular that please me about the new look Arsenal.

First I’m hoping that the new blood will herald a new way of playing with a solid traditional defence and more direct no-nonsense midfield and attack. We all know that AW likes to play attractive offensive football and that can continue, just hopefully with a bit more urgency to get it up to the front 3 and with players who know when to shoot and when to pass.

The second big plus is that we will have internationals on the bench that can come on and change a game, Benayoun, Park and Arsh would be excellent impact subs.

The last thing is that the new depth in the squad will give the likes of Jack and Aaron the opportunity to have a break as they have both been overplayed recently and that has led to injury and a loss in form.

Its all good, top four is within our grasp and I would take that very happily as an outcome this season. as to trophies – who knows?

9. hamzi says:

the key here is arteta. in our system fabregas was our playmaker and he was superb in linking midfield & attack. if arteta can slot into that role seamlessly, we will have a very good season. arteta also a very good free kick taker and now he got mertesacker to look for.

10. Red Arse says:

Not that it is my intention to carp, but the thought did strike me, that if this splurge on new players had happened this time last year, while Cesc and Nasri were still with us …… we could have won the EPL, at least, and perhaps the CL.

Not necessarily with the same players we bought this year, but similar quality, and not the Squillacci variety.

London, don’t think I have not remembered your comment last night, that you never believed we were ever interested in Arteta or Benayoun!
    I trust that after your recent g string nibbling penance, you will now recant your disbelieving ways? 🙂

11. harry says:

26m, quality post as usual sir……..

As requested by yourself I will relist my points from last nights comments that I made…….

Some fans will still moan, they are never happy, many were expecting that stellar signing, but spending 30+million on a player doesnt guarantee nothing.

I never expected Sneijder or similar, but queitly had hoped for M’vila (wasnt sure at first but when I looked around and studied options and affect on team, thought he’d be a fine aquisition), but he’ll come later I think maybe next window……?

But lets think about what all the fans (and more notably the experts) were telling wenger…………about our squad:

1. Lack height in Centre of defence.
    2. Lack a commanding presence in defence.
    3. Lack a quality back up at LB.
    4. Lack creative ability in the centre of the park.
    5. Lack players with good PL experience.
    6. Lack older players to lead youngsters.
    7. Lack another goal scorer with something different.
    8. Lack strength in depth in the squad.
    9. Too much deadwood in squad.
    10. Team lacked players with pace, aside from Walcott.

I think he has answered all of them points has he not?

If I was really greedy, I would have liked another striker, but maybe Afobe will take that slot, and I like him…..

I think the squad has real depth and a balance with plentiful options, competition for places will really keep players on their toes….

Seemingly according to Everton fans, arteta is passed his best and has never recovered from a knee injury 2 years ago……Personally I think he had just gone stale and as such lack the desire to push himself further.

One other thing, people keep saying (all over the net) that Nasri and Fab are Better than Arteta and Yossi.

Whereas I agree that Arteta is filling the creative need in the absence of Cesc, Benayoun is more another body in the squad that can give us something different when needed from the bench, in some sense you could argue that both aid the need to replace Cesc.

Nasri, in essence for me in the sqaud is replaced by Gervinho, maybe he wasnt brought directly for that at the time but he more than does that for.

Wilshere by even Cesc’s own admission is his replacement, but in the long run. Arteta and Yossi will give Jack and Aaron a bit more time and take an element of pressure of their young shoulders.

Arteta for me is the icing on the transfer cake, his signing shows direct intent and a statment that ok, lets show ’em. If Benayoun had been the only creative spark, then maybe the pressure would still be there, for now, he has given himself and the team some breathing space.

As I mentioned at the start, some fans will still moan, thats their choice and misunderstanding for me, no offence to any one. but if people cannot be positive and upbeat about this business that the boss has done, then you’ll never be satisfied.

Every gooner now needs to get behind the boss 150% and give our team an atmosphere with passion and belief.

For me the Squad is capable of competing on all fronts and can WIN silverware…..

For me this Squad is deeper and stronger than last years.

12. London says:

Great Post 26

I agree with it all including your view of our strongest team

RA

I was wrong on every position I took during the window, every single one. The so called Wenger way of doing things has completely gone out the window; people like me who love to look for patterns in his behaviour are going to have to totally rethink things. Still, hey ho, exciting times.

Rasp

I share your excitement about the potential change in the style of play that the new players will bring.

13. pat says:

The important thing about Mertesacker is that his experience and quality (don’t get all those german caps for being a mug) and temperament are going to be far more important attributes than a perceived lack of pace. The jury seems to be out on how much pace the guy actually has / doesn’t have. Hopefully we can go and do a Stoke on a few teams now and send in our own pack of giants to mix it up on the set piece – as hamzi mentions…

With our attack Arteta should get plenty of opportunities to prove himself and get his assist tally to Cesc like proportions. Was ho hum at first but I am warming to him – he still has alot to prove that he can make it at this level but I have a good feeling. Hopefully the side gels together, I think we have the makings of a good bunch of lads that want to get out there and win something for themselves and the fans.

Arsenal Bloody Arsenal!

14. evonne says:

26may – thank you for the post, great read, never disappointing!
    I didn’t know Per was slow, damn, that’s not so good, I had very high hopes for him.

Frankly, I would rather have Park instead of Walcott, as I am tired of Theo’s lack of consistency. Park is supposedly hard working and reliable, worth a try, no?

15. TotalArsenal says:

Wonderman 😛 what about Aus Erfahrung Gut

16. harry says:

Oh and the other thing everyone is talking about, is whether had we got a result at old trafford, that none of this would have happened?

For me, yes there is a justified arguement there, but also, the boss had to see whether we made the CL group stages, that was the important game for me.

Ok the 8-2 deficit probably just made us a little less frugal in talks, although arteta took a hit on wages to join us………!!!

A minor comment on Chelsea’s business, they were throwing 40million at the spurs for Modric, turned down they went for Miereles at 12million……………..is Modric 28m better? Money isnt always the answer………

17. steve says:

Not sure im going to get excited by the last minute signings of Arteta and Benayoun or Park will not cover up the fact of the failings to of the board to bring in any of the priority signings Wenger wanted, How we have given a 30yr old a 4yr contract when many before him were only given 1yr deals, Praying that Van Persie comes back fit from international duty other wise we are going to have to play shitmac or Park. But there we are time to get behind the team and wait for January when we can spend the rest of the money and more like 50million not 20 as we had a budget of 40 before Cesc,Nasari and Cleashi left

18. pat says:

and great post 26may – your title sums up the situation nicely.

London – agree will be interesting to see Arsenes adaptation in his tactics / style of play. Hopefully more direct threats to goal in a countering style using our pace, rather than 150 passes trying to find that killer ball allowing the bus to be parked with the 2 banks of 4.

Morning London,

I think your stance during the transfer window says a lot about how committed a supporter you are. I always took your comments more as a heartfelt wish rather than a deep seated belief.

There are so many things we still don’t (may never) know that fascinate me.

Are these the sort of changes AW wanted but was prevented from making in the past?

For the connspiracy theorists, did he purposefully prepare and send out a team that he knew would lose heavily against manu to force the Board’s/Stan’s arm?

OR……

Was he pushed into these signings from behind the scenes for commercial reasons?

I think I know which answer you will opt for 😛

20. pat says:

Walcott needs to stop being a fancy pants and just kick the ball past defenders and turn on the afterburners. Agree that would like to see him convert more of his oportunities – maybe guys like Park breathing down his neck will light those rockets… we also have young Miyachi which could be another x-factor player…

21. Asan51 says:

Let’s bury the past and get together to show our support for the players.World class player or no world class player it doesn’t make sense to hurt the players that we have.Support the players by filling Emirates stadium.
    Szczesny
    Sagna-Mertesacker-Vermaelen-Santos

Walcott-Wilshere-Arteta-Gervinho

Chu-Young-Van Persie.
    Who say Arsenal cannot win the premiership

Morning al.

i said last night (between tattooes) that some of us might regret some of our assumptions about who was or who wasn’t cominmg in, but it was quite a lively debate.

The german is class, can’t comment on the others and i would say the buying of Arteta and the loan of yossi was not initially planned, maybe a bit of panic after last Sunday but who knows..

jack is our engine room, Aaron is still learning,but Jack played too much last season maybe unintentionally through Cesc having several injuries.Even so I would critisize that we waited so long to get somewhat of a replacement for cesc and now we have a stop gap.

Theo will have to look about him now with the ox about.
    Anyway nice post 26thmay and let’s hope things get better.
    my main concern is that the younger players that are in the first team squad improve enough for when Rosicky and Arshavin leave,most probably by the end of the season.

There has never been under AW so much chopping and changing in one transfer window, so let’s see if it works.With no prima donnas in the squad we have hopefully a team that work for each other and that in itself is a big bonus.

23. TotalArsenal says:

The signings of Arteta and Benayoun are a sign for me that we will continue with 4-2-3-1 tippi-tappi football, with a more solid defence and better use of our wings, and hopefully a little bit more of directness. Wengerball is here to stay – it is his signature – and I for one, am very happy with that.

24. Now that the transfer window has slammed shut it’s time to sit back and take stock.

F******s, N***i and C****y are gone let’s accept that as fact and move on.

The defence looks immeasurably stronger, Meretesacker and Santos will prove, in my opinion, to be key signings, adding strength experience and most importantly presence to the back four.

Arteta and particularly Benayoun have been bought for the here and now. Both signings will take some of the pressure off Wilshire and Ramsey allowing them a season to mature whilst playing a lesser number of games.

Gervinho and Park will give us different options up front and maybe, finally allow for a Plan B.

Wenger has gone for maturity and experience in order to create some stability without breaking the bank.

Attention now needs to turn the renewal of contracts for van Persie, Walcott and Song, we must never again allow a N***i situation to occur.

I doubt that we will win The Premiership, this season but I think we will be able to compete strongly in all competitions, at least I hope so.

Let’s get behind Wenger and his players, we are Arsenal supporters not whingers.

C’mon The Gunners.

25. evonne says:

The best comment from last nigth’s frenzy goes to Irish:

Wenger returns to #arsenal from a nice break in France
    ‘eeeerrr Pat? Who are zeese people?’
    🙂

Hi kelsey,

I agree with all that. I’m just wondering how long AW has left on his contract and whether he plans to stick around to develop this team.

I see Benayoun and even Arteta as a short term injection of quality as the real team emerges over the next couple of years – the opposite conclusion would be that those players are a sticking plaster to give the Board the level of success they want in the short term and AW will be off.

27. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting analysis 26.

As important as that first team you have listed there is the reserves/squad:

……………………Fabianski……………..
    Jenk…………..Kos……….JD……..Gibbs
    …………………..Frimpong………………..
    …………..Ramsey………..Rosicky…….
    AA23………………………………Benayoun
    …………………..Park…………………………

And there’s still a bench of Ryo, AOC, Coquelin, Chamakh, Squillacci, Miquel, Mannone, Almunia. And then the actual reserves/youths.

Surely that’s deep enough now? We would have to have a fair few injuries before we start to look as bare as we did Sunday.

28. evonne says:

GiE – Walcott in reserves, Park 1st team. Also, Koscielny is too good to sit on the bench

29. Mike says:

Looking on some other blogs is interesting. It amazes me how all summer people moan about us not making any signings and when AW comes up with some incrediblly shrewd buys of proven internationals, they’re still not happy. I fear they will be wearing man city shirts whilst watching footie from their armchairs next year…………..they deserve each other.

We now also have the media banging on about how the signings aren’t good enough. AW has captured 3 international capatins, a proven quality premiership player (it’s no disgrace not being able to get into Spain’s midfield) and a Brazilian international left back. Mertesacker cost half of what was wanted for (the moderate) Samba and in total the 5 of them cost less than Andy Carroll. Wenger really is crap isn’t he………………………….!!!

There really should be a lot of people eating mountains of humble pie today.

30. Bstrum says:

I think this team can actually win things, maybe lots of things. Wilshere is the bee’s knees – to me he is more influential a player than Fabregas was at his age and I expect him to one day captain Arsenal as well as England. Frimpong is the fearsome defensive midfielder we’ve desperately needed for so long – I feel that opposition players are already going in at 45% in 50/50 balls whenever they sense Frimpong is charging in. Szczesny (who at age 20 is already nearing world class) and Mertesacker, at 6’5″ and 6’6″ respectively, add towering height to defend against set plays. Gervinho is faster and a more direct attacking threat than Nasri. And Arsenal have genuine, frightening speed on both wings with fresh, equally speedy wingers chafing at the bit on the bench. Now if Arsene can remind Andre dos Santos that he is actually a defender and not another winger, this Arsenal team can pose the same lightning quick, penetrative offensive threats launched from a strong, intimidating defensive foundation as we used to do in the Bergkamp/Overmars/Vieira days…

31. Gooner in Exile says:

Evonne you may be right but my team there is excluding players already listed by 26. And the fact is when we have a rainy midweek in Wigan between important games our team will look better even if we rest a few of those 26 put in his 1st eleven.

Interesting NikB has gone back to play with Steve Bruce (had him at Brum in Championship)

32. London says:

TA

Don’t forget the way in which Pires and Henry used to break……….this was Wengerball as well.

33. Gooner in Exile says:

That’s what I’m hoping for London, Wengerball MkI was based on physically strong quick players. We are looking more like that now than any time in last few years. Also the MkI team benefited from the theory of letting the ball do the work, again in recent years not so much which has led to a physically punishing style of play.

Wilshere is the concern it is not his achilles but something on his ankle, called a spot, which if not rested could turn into a fracture.

Hi GiE,

I agree totally, from my post yesterday ….. We know that Cesc was irreplaceable, but from the ashes of the team that was built around him can rise a new more direct Arsenal that would owe more to the Invincibles than the team of recent years.

If kelsey’s info is correct (and it usually is), with this new deeper squad he can be rested until ready to come back, but also Ramsey can have some of the pressure taken off.

36. Illybongani says:

it will be interesting to see if Arsene continues to play this high defensive line. If PM is as slow as people say (I don’t know if it’s true) then we will struggle (I think we do already). The key to a high line is the midfield closing down and pressing, like we did against Chelsea and Man Utd at home last year, probably our best two performances of the season. But rarely, if ever, repeated.

Going back to ’98, ’02, and ’04 – did we play a high line then? Not that I recall – so why now?

37. TotalArsenal says:

London, fair point: that was also Wengerball. I believe he has evolved it though over the last few years, and will continue with it and improve it, with this exciting and talented squad. But I could easily be wrong.

38. fatgingergooner says:

first TW final day i have enjoyed in years. Great coverage as always by Sky and well chuffed that we got both Benayoun and Arteta. Glad that AW didnt bottle it and only get one of those 2 as we needed the numbers.

Morning Rasp,

I sent you an email earlier, let me know if you got it.

Cheers

Morning fgg,

Did you send it to arsenalnuts – there’s nothing in the In Box from you?

40. Red Arse says:

London,

I don’t know if this formating will work on WordPress, (I do not expect it will) so apologies inadvance. Fingers crossed!

These are 3 snapshots of a company. In each case, the Assets are matched by the Liabilities.

1) Mr X starts a company with a £100 Share Capital by ‘buying’ 100 shares of £1 each

ASSETS: £
    Cash 100
    …………………………………………………………………………………..
    LIABILITIES:
    Shares 100
    =============================================

2) After a few years, he gets credit from his suppliers and gives credit to his customers.

Now his Balance Sheet looks like this.

ASSETS:
    Cash 1,500
    Debtors (owed by Customers) 2,000
    Total 3,500
    ……………………………………………………………………………………..

LIABILITIES:
    Creditors (owed to suppliers) 3,400
    Shares 100
    Total 3,500
    ===============================================

3) The same day, Mr Rich Bastard lends the company £400m, without interest, and no hope of being repaid.

ASSETS:
    Cash – includes the loan 400,001,500
    Debtors 2,000
    Total 400,003,500
    ……………………………………………………………………………………..

LIABILITIES:
    Creditors 3,400
    Loan from Rich bastard 400,000,000
    Shares 100
    Total 400,003,500
    ==============================================

Apart from the obvious distortion of the company’s financial position, the most Mr X would lose, if the company went arse up, is his original £100 share purchase.

Mr Rich Bastard would stand to lose all of his £400 million, unless he had asked for it back before hand, leaving the company in an impossible position, and doomed.

If that was a football club, you can see that
    (a) it was being unfairly financially aided, and
    (b) it was not a really viable company at all, because it could not exist in its own right, especially if Mr Rich bastard asked for his loan to be repaid.

41. VCC says:

99% happy this morning. Only concern I have is Arteta’s fitness. If he stays fit, funnily enough I think we can be more resilient than last year??
    OK, we all know it was virtually impossible for Wenger to replace Cesc, but imo Gervinho can adequately fill Nasri’s boots.
    With the added steel/bite/strength/height we have in our defence, this may carry through into the likes of Walcott/Ramsey/Young/Gervinho, knowing we will not be pushed about any more, ala Adams/Keown/Bould days.
    It’s reassuring to know (for the more skilful players we have) that you will be protected by some muscle, makes the opposition think twice about kicking our lads (Neville & Co)
    We now have good options with corners and free kicks either side of the box, and with 3 genuine specialist edge of the box free kicks in Van Persie/Santos/Arteta
    Lots more options to work on.
    If Jack fills Cesc’s boots, we will be cooking with gas.
    Come on you Gunners.

42. fatgingergooner says:

sent it to arsenalnuts@live.co.uk

it had the imaginative title ‘blog’!!!

will send it again

Thanks fgg, got it 🙂

44. critic says:

Wenger tactics will be of utmost importance. It is quite clear that Per is not suitable for high line.

45. Illybongani says:

tiny, hair splitting point from 26’s original post, which confused me but has now been confirmed on Arsenal.com, Afobe isn’t going out on loan. So I guess he’s in the shake-up for a place on the bench.

I’m not a big fan of YouTube montages, but if you get the chance check out a lad called Alban Bunjaku, English and Bergkamp in disguise!

26,
    Just nipping in to say thanks for stepping up last night. Herculean effort and a great read. I love your line up although I would switch Gerv and Theo.
    I believe Arteta is exactly what we need (along with the other signings) as he provides the guile that neither Ros or Ramsey can now. It remains to be seen whether Jack develops into a deeper lying Petit role or a more advanced Cesc role.
    A stronger defence also means that we do not need to play such a high line, and we now have the option of playing deeper and hitting faster into more space.
    Very exciting times.
    I am now doing yesterdays work, so not around.

Good post 26.

One thing is for sure, this will mean players fight for there places and at any level this can only be a good thing

RA – I hope Mr Rich bastard calls in his loan.

48. Asan51 says:

Szczesny
    King Sagna- Super Mertesacker-Master Vermaelen-Fantastic Santos
    Walcott-Wilshere-Arteta-Gervinho
    Young-Van Persie
    Who say Arsenal cannot win the premiership!!!!

49. harry says:

Must read for all those who seemed to think we have no chance of pushing on with this squad, we deserved so much more last year than we got, this squad is stronger now, more balanced and extremely versatile.

50. Red Arse says:

Just a random thought.

Many of the blogs couch their comments with – Wenger rushes to complete ……. ; or Wenger forces deal …………….. etc.

Actually, AW was not in France (doing a deal) as many sites reported, he was in Switzerland at the Elite Managers conference.

Therefore, he was neither completing deals, or forcing them thru or any other such thing. If proof were ever needed that Law/Gazidis do or do not negotiate (or fail to negotiate) transfers, and not Arsene personally — there it is.

So the careless talk about him being too mean to pay the transfer money or refusing to meet contract demands has been laid bare as totally untrue, as he was physically hundreds of miles from the negotiating table.

51. Illybongani says:

harry – I sped through the researchers findings.

I can add my findings to that…the researcher needs to get out more.

52. wally says:

It’s a revolution isn’t it. I never thought wenger capable of abandoning his project but good on him for recognizing that in it’s present it wasn’t working. And great for the club too. Still a striker or two short but unlike the last few months i’m looking forward to saturdays again. The team right now is like a new box of chocolates.

53. goonermichael says:

Fantastic post. I am so happy today. I can’yt beleive some of the negative shit on some other sites last night. I watched a oompilation of Arteta last night and as someone earlier said he takes great free kicks and he can cross. Mertesacker is a fantastic signing too and I’m excited about Santios. Benayoun is a good player. Don’t know anything about chu young but I’ve read that he can skip his national service as part of the deal.

Ooh to be a gooner

“Arsenal offered £5m on Tuesday and £10m on Wednesday afternoon – both bids were rejected. Any deal was dead until around 1900 BST, when Arteta told Moyes he wished to leave.

“Moyes spoke to the chairman, Bill Kenwright, and said he did not want to keep a player who did not wish to play for Everton.

“Arteta was Everton’s highest-paid player ever on around £75,000 a week and took a big pay cut to join Arsenal.”

So he took a wage cut, interesting.

55. Danny says:

So Wenger was in Switzerland completely avoiding all the dealings yesterday. I can’t imagine Ferguson doing that. Very weird. Suppose he doesn’t want Arteta and he’s no good – what then? This definitely takes the shine off yesterdays proceedings.

56. harry says:

Illy, yeah I think he does need to get out more and realise we were robbed at SJP. He is a Manchester United Fan by the way…..

Guys I used my comments from earlier, added to it and spun an article on the other site I write for, your support as usual is greatly appreciated and the more intelligent feed back is helpful as I try and educate the masses with positive vibes, which amazingly some still cannot find……..

57. harry says:

@Danny, shine off proceedings? so wenger didnt know about any of it? come off it……….. he was more than involved……..

What do think he said as he left for Switzerland,

“Just get me 5 players”

Note his comments on the website about the players…He had his list and players came in off that list, they may not have been in top 2 or 3 places on the list but all of them were his choices……..

58. Kelsey,

That’s a cut and paste from the BBC Sports website, hope you’re not claiming it as original. Lol.

59. Gooner in Exile says:

Kelsey it is interesting he took apay cut I guess that factors in his age? 4 years for a 29 year old at £75k per week could be expensive, especially considering his deal at Everton might have been up come two years (I have no idea what his contract there was).

So to take a pay cut now but to get CL football and guarantee earnings until 2015 makes sense for the player.

And for us to secure services of a quality player for £10m we needed to reduce the wage to make the four year cost respectable.

As for Pers pace are we saying he is slower than JD or Squilli? Desire>Pace for a defender as illustrated by the likes of Carragher, Terry, Bruce, Adams over the years.

LG,

It is in quotes so I thought it was obvious that it was not my work.i usually put a source if i use a quote.Apologies. in any case I couldn’t possibly know those details.

The point was that he was prepared to take a cut in wages.

61. TotalArsenal says:

Lifelong G, you do not need to worry about Kelsey’s ability to be original/himself! 😛 In fact, I would not challenge him if I was you 😆

62. harry says:

GIE, arteta signed a new 5year deal last season so had 4 more years at 75k…….

So he has taken a sizeable drop to get his dream move and a chance at CL football……fair play to him, not all players move for money…..so for me his desire will be 100% genuine…….

63. I’ve only been visiting this site for a short while but have been impressed by the blogs themselves and the quality of the majority of comments, as well as the diverse opinions expressed, I do however like to read original opinions as I can get all the journalese I want from the tabloid and other press.

My comment about Kelsey’s post was light-hearted as indicated by… Lol.

64. fatgingergooner says:

this transfer window has been nothing but positive for Arsenal as a team. It may not have happened the way people planned, but what does?

The facts are these:-

we have got rid of all players that did not 100% want to be at AFC.

we have signed players with immense experience and know how at PL, International and European level.

we have added leadership to a young team that needs guidance. I think i saw a stat yday that says we now have 5 or 6 International captains in our squad.

we have qualified for the Champions League.

we have improved the overall depth of our squad.

now it hasnt been a pretty few months by any stretch, but so what! that is in the past. we have a new look squad, a new belief, and a much brighter future ahead than when we started this transfer window.

65. TotalArsenal says:

Well said FGG, and maybe you should add that we probably have money left in the bank if needed for the next TW (although I don’t think we will need it, but it is nice to ‘know’) 🙂

66. Brigham says:

A very good post 26 and I agree with the starting eleven, although not sure who to put in place of Wilshire in his current injured state. Possibly move Theo up front and through the middle, with either Arshavin or Benayoun in his place.

Some very cood additions to the team IMHO and I am not that worried about PM’s supposed lack of pace, they have to get round him first! Seriously though, the new players should give us the impeutas to kick on now and I bet morale has been lifted within the club.

Arteta will without doubt add some guile to our midfield since the departure of Cesc and Na$ri. He takes a mean free kick as well, with very good delivery. Benayoun can do a job as well and his experience along with Arteta and PM can only help, both on the pitch and in training.

Things are looking a lot more rosey following a very bad Bank Holiday Monday.

COYRRG

67. Fatgingergooner,

I think you’re right, the dressing room will be a much happier place without the looming presence of the want-away Spaniard and Frenchman.

The influx of new players may take a while to settle in but can only be a positive force in the coming months.

If only Diaby could regain fitness he would be like another new signing though this seems doubtful on the evidence of his time at the club so far.

68. fatgingergooner says:

TotalArsenal

well dont forget the xmas party will be coming up in a few months, someones got to pay for all that caviar and champers!!!

im pretty sure thats why we sold Clichy, to cover the food bill!

who knows, we may even be lucky enough to find a new player in one of the xmas crackers…that hasnt happened since Arshavin fell out in place of the bad
    joke…..

A fine summary, 26.

What a great feeling that we can now actually move forward after releasing those that didn’t want to play for the club anymore.

70. TotalArsenal says:

FGG 🙂

71. trueg00ner says:

Great window can see the mood changing on a few blogs, there will always be a few who will never be happy with Wenger as manager but they are a tiny minority

72. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for the kind comments all.

I thought it was a measure of Gooners’ collective excitement at what was happening last night that arse.com crashed at 11pm and continued coming on and off before about 1am.

Rasp’s 11.00am comments and Harry’s at 12.02pm summarise how I feel about the squad we woke up with today: we will be more direct, versatile and balanced than we were before, even if the loss of Cesc’s technique is not replicated yet (until LJ’s amazing development continues). I may have wanted a megastar to come in, but the replacement of Cesc and Nasri with Gervinho, Arteta and Benayoun is good enough for me.

I worry about how all this is going to bed down, given the scale of the changes, and the summary cancellation of much of Project Youth, but the experience of our recruits makes me feel we should be optimistic about that. And we now have a pretty soft September in which to get that done: Swansea, Dortmund, Blackburn, Shrewsbury, Bolton and Olympiacos.

Good comment from Red Arse re Wenger having been in Switzerland yesterday – of course he plays an important role, but it is looking increasingly like much of the blame for the failure to get deals done early this summer falls to Gazidis and Law. While to a large extent they pulled it out of the fire at the end, that is something that needs to be looked at by the Board and the manager.

73. goonermichael says:

Why would Wenger be here? What would he be doing? Would he be at the Emirates or Goodison? We got Ramsey because he was flown to Switzerland in Fizmans jet to meet Arsene personally. Fergiescum told gary neville to show him around old toilet. So I don’t see how you can’t see fergie doing that Danny.

74. harry says:

Arteta……..No 8

Benayoun……..No 30

75. harry says:

For those doubting wengers involvement in the transfers:

Wenger had put the 31-year-old play maker among a list of potential signings two days ago, but the club believed Benayoun would not be required, as they pressed ahead with the transfer of Everton’s Mikel Arteta.

However, after that deal showed signs of breaking down last night, Arsenal told Chelsea of their interest in the Israel captain, and to be prepared to move quickly to push it through.

The Blues were firmly expecting Benayoun to complete a permanent switch across London, only for the Gunners to join Liverpool in requesting a season-long loan instead.

The Merseysiders had thrashed out details of a loan fee and initial personal terms, but Wenger called Benayoun from a UEFA elite coaches meeting, and convinced him to snub Kenny Dalglish, and join Arsenal.

Wenger was rightly involved all the way ………………

76. Red Arse says:

GM,

As usual, you are right! 🙂

Fergie was in Switzerland too. It was UEFA Elite Managers conference, so altho’ Manyoo were still trying to get Sneijder (by many accounts) he was not just sitting at his desk with his thumb up his arse. 🙂

There is no pleasing some. AW is accused of meddling in transfers and stopping them because he is a meany, or he is not as good as Fergie because he isn’t at transfer negotiations meddling.

77. Red Arse says:

Who is arguing with that Harry? The most influential man at Arsenal, is Arsene and it would be naive to imagine he was not consulted at all stages of the process from making the target list on thru to completion.

If you were referring to my earlier comment, all I was saying is that AW does not physically sit at the table actually doing the financial negotiating, and that cannot be argued with. Can it?

Clearly Laws and Gazidis control the purse strings and so they should.

78. goonermichael says:

Some other (more negative)posters on other sites are suggesting that all these players were forced on Wenger. I thought hairdressing was bitchy but the arsenal blogworld beats it hands down. Some people will never ever say anything good about Wenger. I’m genuinely excited by the new squad. I don’t play football manager or fifa so I don’t expect to buy every “world class” player.

79. goonermichael says:

I’ve just read some very negative stuff on other sites. The bbc, le grove and another one. I find it really funny that a player who has had half a good season and was nicknamed “fat ponce” is suddenly elevated to “world class”. I think Gervinho could (not will) easily replace the little t**t

80. 26may1989 says:

GM, did you see the BBC article that referred to “the respected fan website Le Grove”?

GM. Everyone needs heroes and villains – it makes life so much easier to see people in such black and white terms, especially to the morons who believe all the nonsense fed to them by the gutterpress and gutterblogs.

AW has been cast as the villain at AFC until he wins some more trophies when we will revert to his status as “greatest AFC manager of AllTime”.

For some the cup will always be half empty, it doesn’t have to be 🙂

82. harry says:

@Red Arse, not at you old friend, one or two naysayers……..

26. I have the utmost respect for the authors of LG. I do not agree with their viewpoint but they are committed Gooners and top blokes.

They cannot, or more to the point , will not moderate their bloggers and thus attract chaps who get harshly dealt with here.

I don’t think we have experienced a week like this for many a year and never mind about AW, we, the supporters behind the team must have had various degrees of high blood pressure on going since we stepped out on to the field in italy.
    AS stated above that result more than last Sunday must have made the whole strategy at the club change
    many will argue that we shouldn’t have been in that position but we were and perhaps it’s a jolt the club needed.We didn’t get the 30 million + signing, but was that ever really on ?
    Now RVP and Vermaelen must both give leadership to the younger players and the new recruits.it’s not a perfect solution but a whole lot better than most of us thought and now at least we can look forward to what amounts to a near whole season with a dedicated squad.

copy and pasted by kelsey from kelsey 🙂

85. Red Arse says:

Thank goodness for that Harry.

I think after a while on the blogs we all get to know roughly what all the bloggers we chat to are likely to think about most Arsenal things.

Except when one or other is acting as devil’s advocate to stir up debate. Not me, of course! 🙂

86. 26may1989 says:

Raddy, I defer to your judgment, all I can say is that everything I have seen of Le Grove (and I don’t subject myself to it at all any more, and only rarely before) annoyed me enough to want to ignore it.

And kelsey, hear hear!

I put a comment on that site yesterday which is a rarity because in the headline post it stated that the word on the street and various other sources stated we had bid for Clint Dempsey.
    now some of you that know me, (knowing me, knowing you ha ha) know that my son is a good friend of clint and he was with him the day before and I knew for a fact that was complete tosh. I posted a polite response on that site saying what i have just stated,yet not a word of response.

So bloggers who get harshly dealt with on here find refuge at LG. pmsl

89. Red Arse says:

There is a neat symmetry between the sale proceeds of Cesc, Nasri and Clichy and the new acquisitions (given a little poetic licence). 🙂

Cesc £30m; Nasri £18m and Clichy £6m (ignoring all future add-ons) = £54m

Outgoings? Chu Chin Chow £5m; Gerv £11m; Ox £12; Merte £8m; RtetA £10m; Santos £6m; Jenks £1m and Campbell £1m = £54m

Salaries saved for the outgoing players, probably balance with salaries for the incoming (maybe).

That means whatever was in the pot before the Summer sales, less any monies taken for uplifting existing player contracts will still be available in the next 2 transfer windows.

I know this has already been pointed out but I thought I would muse over the guestimates of the ins and outs values we have heard and see where that left us.

Still a pretty healthy position, especially if we get out of the group stages of the CL.

You forgot to add in the transfer value of Almunia,Squillacci and probably Vela and bendtner, RA. The first two are easy, but then …..

91. Red Arse says:

I spent a few minutes writing a comment about the site in question and then deleted it, because what is the point?

They don’t care — and neither do I.

92. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

Not really. The first two are staying, and the last two are on loan, therefore none affect the balance of sales/purchases this year in any meaningful way. Ditto with Lansbury and other loanees. 🙂

chas. No – it is the other way round 🙂

94. London says:

BR

“Gutterpress and Gutterblogs” a term is coined, nice one.

A minor point of difference, they do moderate comments on LG: people are not allowed to see or say anything positive about Wenger. I have had my comments removed I have had the spelling of my comments altered to give the impression that I cannot spell, a balanced view is not welcome over there.

People who only ever look for the negative when discussing Arsenal cannot and should not be referred to as committed Arsenal supporters, those two are committed supporters of their blog of which there is a world of difference.

fatgingergooner as you’re about to become an author on AA, I need to know if you prefer the capitals in your name, sometimes you sign in as Fatgingergooner or even FatGingerGooner may be appropriate – my guess is you are a 9 stone blond 😛

26. Aren’t you in the wrong county for Letsby Avenue?

97. neamman says:

I am hoping Nic B has a great season at Sunderland, scoring 20 goals after being played as a true CF and then next year he comes back and does the same for us.

98. 26may1989 says:

Norfolk isn’t it Raddy?!

99. Gooner in Exile says:

Norfolk? What?

Anyway ….. Just heard an Arsenal fan on TalkShite express how he was disappointed by the signings and how the money from Clichy, Cesc and Nasri hadn’t been reinvested….RA you need to call in to prove otherwise.

He also said he hoped that we may have signed Tevez or Sneijder! I just wonder what club these boys have been supporting where they think we had a chance of spending that kind of money.

Did Spurs actually sell more than they bought, Parker for Palacios, Adebayor for Crouch. Then quite a few out (Jenas, Keane and youngsters). Sonehow I think Levy is preparing for the next manager after he gets the England job or imprisonment whatever comes first.

100. Fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

I have lost a bit of weight Rasp but BorderingOnObeseGingerGooner doesnt have the same ring to it!!!!

You can just put capital F and that would be fine, cheers!

Wasnt actually expecting it to get posted tbh!

Harry Nutsack said they had 29 players for their 25 man squad, GIE, and so had to get rid of some triffic talent. (I’m paraphrasing here)

I just caught the end of an interview on TS this morning with some guy who had apparently written a book (or published an article) which looked at all the wrongly awarded refereeing decisions last season – and Arsenal was by far the most sinned against. Does anyone have more details?

Rasp, possibly Harry @ 12:02

104. 26may1989 says:

“after he gets the England job or imprisonment whatever comes first” – excellent!! 🙂

105. Gooner in Exile says:

Fgg you have no idea of what you have let yourself in for 😉

All I’m saying is Peaches can be persuasive.

106. Irishgunner says:

Still happy as today … can’t wait for Swansea. Flipping international break – having said that I’ll be shouting for the boys in Green tomorrow night with some fine ale.

neamann,
    I will also be looking at nic. I still think he has anattitude problem and of course a larger than life ego.When he was at birmingham i was told the same thing by a fellow professional at the club. We will wait and see.

I thought old ‘arry had been signed up by range rover .he seems to do all his interviews in that car.

109. Irishgunner says:

So we’ve only Park for 2 and half seasons before he goes home to Korea…

irish,
    i read there is a clause if we double the fee from 5 to 10 million he can skip military service. Seems weird but i defiitely read it somewhere.

111. Irishgunner says:

Player himself has said he will be going back to Korea in 2 an a half years, never heard of anyone skipping the service.

Did Park at Man Ure do it? I hope our Park is as hard a worker as their Park.

112. Fatgingergooner says:

Just noticed another blog called arsenalarsenalarsenal, what’s next…..arsenalarsenalars…….u know where I’m going with this!

Thanks kelsey, it’s all water under the bridge but pretty galling all the same.

114. Gooner in Exile says:

Think the Park deal goes to £10m if he gets out of military service.

Is it possible he can be ruled out on medical grounds when you’re a pro footballer?

Fgg, I can’t find this other 3 A’s site, can you let me have the address?

116. Irishgunner says:

“South Korean footballers are also subject to 26 months of military service along with all able-bodied men under the age of 30. However, after their run to the World Cup semi-finals in 2002, the squad saw their conscription time slashed to just one month. Wolves midfielder Seol Ki-hyeon was among them, but he could have avoided this completely with the help of a tattoo parlour; South Korea’s law rules that men with body art are unfit for the military because they cause “abomination among fellow soldiers”. ”

This is from 2005.

Maybe he wants to do it? Don’t they have their own football teams over there anyway made up of those doing their military service?

117. Fatgingergooner says:

Who would get the £5m tho? Surely it would go to the Korean government rather than a club? Thank god he’s not from North Korea or we could av been embroiled in some nuclear arms dealing saga!! Not sure how much plutonium £5m would get u these days…!

Gooner in Exile says:
    September 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm (Edit)

Think the Park deal goes to £10m if he gets out of military service.

only if you play for Arsenal 😉

119. Gooner in Exile says:

😀 Kelsey, Fgg to Monaco I assume.

If IGs info re tat’s is true then hopefully he will catch the bug off our youngsters and soon be a walking work of art 🙂

120. Carlito11 says:

Brilliant headline- quality post- cheers 26M (+Rasp for the headline?)
    The fact Arteta took a wage cut and was awarded 4 years at his age are directly linked. If he’d had 20k a week more on a three year deal it’s about the same in total right? (accountants help me!) No-one at my new job is interested in football!! I really should have thrown some Arsenal related questions in the interview process for hiring my team- it was like last night never happened until I just logged on at home!

121. Fatgingergooner says:

Well Rasp, I don’t know the answer to that question! Lol not sure what I av seen but I have stumped myself there! Just been looking for it but can’t find anything. Just call me blindfatgingergooner!!!

122. Red Arse says:

For any of you guys not watching the U21s, Oxo Chamberlain is playing brilliantly, and so is Henri Lansbury, who scored an excellent goal.

123. neamman says:

Irish, Serbia are going to be tough!!!

124. Carlito11 says:

It also has to be said that the whole discussion about whether Per Mertesaker has pace or not is a bit like complaining that your coffee grinder hasn’t got a tea cosy! if CBs had pace and can turn with the ball they’re called midfielders normally. Let’s just train to keep a straight line a repel the bloody opposition!

125. Irishgunner says:

Neaman – We’re playing Slovakia

126. Carlito11 says:

Thanks for that RA- just switched it on- looking forward to seeing the Ox in action 🙂

127. VCC says:

Thanks Red Arse,
    What a lovely goal from Lansbury.

128. Red Arse says:

This blogger, thinks Theo is going to be pushed hard this season,

Oxo looks to play exactly the way I hoped Theo would when we first signed him. He has pace, skill and looks very confident.

Once he gets a little more experience we could have something special on our hands.

129. VCC says:

Red Arse. Oxo = at least he can cross a ball….and to a player wearing the same shirt as him…… Is he really an Arsenal player? (lol)

Hi Carlito, the headline, like the post is all 26m’s work. He didn’t even know he was going to write it until peaches told him at 11 o-clock last night 🙄

131. Carlito11 says:

Alex OxC can really pick out a cross by the look of it- sweet right foot! Good stuff 🙂
    Rasp- In which case I must commend 26M even more highly!

132. Wonderman says:

Evenin all

@ Carlito 8:13…..spot on

133. London says:

“Somehow I think Levy is preparing for the next manager after he (Rednapp) gets the England job or imprisonment whatever comes first.”

I am so glad you blog on this site GIE

134. Red Arse says:

It’s the Oxo/Lansbury show tonite.

Excellent crossing from Oxo, great goal awareness by Henri. 🙂

I am pleased Lansbury has only gone on loan although it is often the precursor of a permanent move. I would imagine his chances of breaking into the first team are similar to Coquelin’s.

RA,
    you keep pinching my thoughts about Theo.he may just have to look over his shoulder but on the other hand he isn’t a winger 🙂

137. London says:

Ok here is the task in hand, thinking of reasons to like Benayoun and Arteta……………… and a bit more than the fact than they will be wearing the glorious red and white.

I will start: we have two players who are happy as kids in a sand pit to be playing for Arsenal, a sentiment not to be undervalued.

Do you remember Lasagne Day, if spuds won their last game they qualified for the CL, well who were they playing that day and who scored the goal that meant they lost and as a consequence we got the CL rather than them.

I could be wrong here.

Fgg, would you mind if I made a small change to your title?

139. Evening all – my learned friend 26 has given us a typically measured and careful analysis of last night, for which we, who art in gooner heaven, are truly grateful.

Given that we left our serious activity in the transfer market to the last 3 or 4 days I’m fairly/quite glad with the end result.

The last 2 arrivals with premiership experience made a so so/average transfer window into a better one.

I’m hoping Arteta can teach our fledgling midfield what Cesc should have done had he been able to withstand the Xavi stalking that pulled him back to Barca.

Hey, anyone think Cesc had a word in Arteta’s ear about 7 o clock last night ?

140. London says:

Oooooohhhh, I like that conspiracy theory, hi Chary.

141. Hi, you know me London, I love a conspiracy theory 🙂 but I’m quite sure I read somewhere they were good mates.

I know Cesc has gone but his shadow stays….

142. pat says:

Looks like there is a strong message to all about the type of players that have been brought in – hard working and wanting to come to the club more than just for the $. Arteta coming and willing to drop the salary / Mertsacker being a gunner fan / hard working Park. Combined with the guys like lil’ Jack who bled arsenal it looks like we will have a solid bunch who will fight to the death for the club. Thats all we can ask for and will be how the fans will get right behind them. I am most happy about our back line – with Song / Frimps or both on the pitch our defense should be pretty hard to break down and should be an end to silly goals being conceded. The only other thing I would ask for is that we catch a “break” on the injury front….

143. TotalArsenal says:

Theo scored 3 goals in 5 games and was awarded a penalty as well. Yes, he is looking over his shoulder….. and sees a very small oxo-cube 🙂

144. Fatgingergooner says:

Go for it Rasp. Your the boss!

145. barumgooner says:

Evening all, Great post 26m, I think we can all be happy with the additions, I think it was Evonne who said that kos is too good for the bench and I agree, Rambo doesn’t seem to figure in any1’s first team yet he is of undoubted quality, as is Gibbs and pingpong. I would imagine the little fat russian is a deadgooner walking but other than that there is for the first time in a long time at least two quality players for each position and genuine strength in depth. No superstars just honest hard-working and (genuinely) hungry ambitious players. Well done Mr Wenger, credit where credits due.

146. barumgooner says:

I’m glad Lansbury is only a loan deal but a prem club would’ve been better for him surely. Still hopeful that he and Bartley will make it with us next year.

147. TotalArsenal says:

All agreed Barum!

148. neamman says:

Irish, yes I know..I was joshing… there is another team in Ireland you know!!! :>)

149. Gooner in Exile says:

Barum figure West Ham is a little more PL than Norwich last year even though they both play in the Championship, also be good to learn some darker arts and FatSam will definitely demand quality delivery and results.

Shame Bentley is there as I think he is a destructive little sod and I hope we keep good contact with young Henri to make sure he knows he is still loved at the Emirates and it doesn’t have to be like it was for Bentley, or maybe Wenger knew Bentley was going and thought we’ll send young Henri so that he can see what becomes of young players who think they should be in the Arsenal 1st team when they’re not ready.

So what happened to young Afobe then, thought he was going to Sheff Wed on loan, but as others have said no mention of it anymore.

150. gunnern5 says:

Cut and pasted from BBC Sports.

………………………………………………………………………………………

It was 2100 BST on Wednesday at Arsenal’s Highbury House headquarters and club officials were exhausted following the most frenetic few hours in transfer window history.

In the chief executive’s office, Ivan Gazidis had spent the day making phone calls to agents and officials at other clubs as he tried desperately to complete the spending spree that the summer sales of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri had enabled and which the humiliating 8-2 defeat by Manchester United had subsequently made a necessity.

A few yards away, club secretary David Miles, chief accountant Stuart Wisely and head lawyer Svenja Geissmar were working furiously, filling out registration documents and ensuring they were emailed to the Premier League. In all, 20 officials from the club’s finance and legal departments were working harder than they could remember.

As medicals were completed, the club’s communications department, led by Mark Gonnella, were informed and player interviews for Arsenal’s official website conducted at the club’s London Colney training ground. A hundred yards down the road, news teams from the BBC, ITN and Sky were all broadcasting live updates into deadline day programmes.

Deals for German Per Mertesacker and Brazilian Andre Santos had already been concluded, following Tuesday’s acquisition of South Korean Park-Chu Young. But then there were the outgoings. Heading for the exit were Gilles Sunu and Joel Campbell to Lorient in France, while Henri Lansbury joined West Ham, moves that took hours of negotiations to conclude. Nicklas Bendtner’s move to Sunderland and Yossi Benayoun’s loan from Chelsea were yet to be completed but the signs were positive. Both would eventually be sealed in time.

Yet despite such a frenzied last few hours of the window, the mood inside Highbury House was one of frustration. The marquee midfield signing the club’s fans craved had slipped through Arsenal’s grasp. Bids of £5m and then £10m for Mikel Arteta had been rejected by Everton. The void left by Fabregas and Nasri would remain unfilled.

But then came hope. Arteta had apparently told Everton manager David Moyes that he wanted to join Arsenal. Everton decided not to stand in his way, so, with the deadline of 2300 BST fast approaching, the move was back on. Would there be time to complete it?

As the administrative team, led by the club’s principle deal-maker, former scout Richard Law, leapt back into action, Gazidis rang Arsene Wenger immediately and told him the good news. The Arsenal manager was at a Uefa coaches conference in Switzerland but had been in contact with Gazidis all day. At this stage, neither the club’s majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, nor the club’s board members were involved. There was no time for consultation. Decisions had to be taken – and fast. Shortly after 2300 BST, Arsenal announced Arteta’s arrival. But how should the club’s last-minute scramble to rejuvenate a depleted squad be viewed?

The man behind a respected fan website believes deadline day was something of a reality check for the club. “On the face of it, Arsenal made great progress considering the self-imposed time restrictions we placed on ourselves,” he said. “Yesterday has given me hope that a top-four finish is realistic. But does it feel like a successful summer? No. Does it look or feel like progress? No.

“However, with teams like Manchester City and Chelsea spending hundreds of millions, maybe it’s time to accept that competing for the league is no longer a standard Arsenal fan expectation. That doesn’t excuse the elephant in the room, though. Arsenal and Arsene Wenger have been negligent this summer. All of the business completed over the last two days could and should have been completed in June.”

Tim Payton, of the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust, is even more critical. “Mikel Arteta and Per Mertesaker are fine signings, but the truth is that Arsenal missed out on their preferred players in both midfield and defence, Juan Mata and Phil Jagielka,” he says. “One puzzle is why the club drove through a 6.5% increase in ticket prices earlier this year, raising £4.5m in net revenues that hasn’t been used.”

Arsenal fans are certainly entitled to ask why, with Kroenke and Alisher Usmanov, two of the richest men in the world, as their majority shareholders, the club are now failing to compete when it comes to wages and transfers.

Arsenal’s deadline day was undeniably exciting, provided a boon for their traumatised fans and has enhanced their squad with the arrival of some fine talents. The combined attacking potential of Arteta, Benayoun, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey, Robin Van Persie and Theo Walcott is formidable. But ultimately, despite the sterling efforts of the Highbury House team, one senses it is still too little and too late, judging by the expectations of the fans and set against the players the club have lost.

…………………………………………………………………………………..

While we did not get a marquee player, we have at least covered all of the positions where we were most vunerable.

My goodness we have a player who is over 6 foot tall.

151. Gooner in Exile says:

GN5 thanks for that.

The ridiculousness of that quote from Tim Payton is the “why haven’t we spent the £4.5 million extra from match day revenues”….just how far is that supposed to stretch? £86k per week wages, not going to get us many marquee signings in the era of oil daddys.

I wonder if that £4.5m covers increased energy costs/policing etc on matchday plus increase in minimum wages for the general staff before we fans should even think about it being spent on players.

After United have today announced record profits it will be interesting to see what our figures shown when released soon.

152. TotalArsenal says:

Did anybody read/hear any comments from our captain re latest new signings?

153. gunnern5 says:

Yea GIE I agree with you.

The part that held my attention was the fact that so many of our officials were involved and apparently all that was needed was AW’s agreement with no approval from the BoD required.

I also feel that this will make us a top four contender.

154. Gooner in Exile says:

I am happy Gn5 I was happy anyway I’m an Arsenal fan but the signings are all useful in my opinion and make good fits into our squad.

Think it gibes us a better mix of Youth and experience and also think it may even allow us to compete for better than top 4. long season with lots of twists to come. We will be there or thereabouts as ever.

As a well run club the BoD should already have issued their budgets and I’m guessing negotiating teams new what they were allowed to spend.

155. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Good post 26

Not only do the new pick ups move Arsenal forward, but they help to move The Club as far away from Na$ri & the home sick spanish kid version as possible. The reliance on those 2 for up to 6 years was a burden & got Arsenal nothing; now The Club is moving back to a more robust version, a Club that won stuff before those to handbrakes arrived.

In January, Arsenal can top up again, then bring in a marquee Kaka type in the of season.

I like it, its a new dawn. They say that once you’ve tried chocolate there is no going back to milk 😛 Now that Arsene has experienced the joys of letting hair down on a big binge night of spending, he won’t be able to go back to the old Ebeneezer daze.

Well done mon ami. You’ve made this Gooner happy again.

156. Jamie says:

26May89 – Had a non web day yesterday so I have only just read your post. Well balanced view of the squad and a really well thought out post given that some of that news didn’t come down the wire until very late. Superb post, loved it.

157. evonne says:

Morning all
    The average age of the last 5 signings is a whooping 28.1 !!!
    Does that mean that the Youth Project has failed?? I hope not

Evonne morning,
    No, not at all. What it means is that there is a recognition that the Young Guns will develop better in the company of a little experience.
    Jack and Frimpong will be the heartbeat of the team for years to come, long after the Old Guns are all slippered up!

159. evonne says:

Hiya Micky – I hope so, there is something very appealing about seeing players going through the ranks, home bread Gunners. Plus, the Barca example still shines

Talking of my favourite player Frimpong, can’t his mate Jack persuade him to sign up for England rather than Ghana that way he avoiding the ACN. I wouldn’t mind so much, but every two years is nuts.

Barca is an odd one.
    This current mob are the first successful Barca side to have so many home grown, but let’s not forget that the team is supplimented every single year but at least £40m worth of imported talent.

162. evonne says:

Micky – NO, Frimpong is Ghanian and will play for his country. My best mate is from Ghana and they are very proud and smart people. He could not do it to his country and he will not.

Oh come on, can’t we put our own selfish needs first?

Morning,

Lansbury had a good game last night and the Ox shows a very delicate touch allied to an ability to cross. Not having access to Sky, this was my first opportunity to see him play and I was very impressed.

2016 team ….

The Pole

Jenkinson Kos Miquel Gibbs

Ramsey Song/Frimpong Wilshere

Ox Walcott Ryo

Plus we can have a superb bench from Fabianksi, Gervinho, Campbell, Bartley, Lansbury, Coquelin, Afobe, Freeman, Aneke and Henderson

The team above is so young they could be together in 2018 and apart from Kos all be under 30!

BR,
    2016 Team!
    You just concentrate on the Swansea line-up 🙂
    Are you still a liveonlinefootie man, given that it was you who put me onto it?
    I am now a £27 Season Ticket Holder.

167. evonne says:

Raddy 🙂 Good to see you in a good mood 🙂

Micky. Yes I am but only a 6quid man – not having the mountains of moolah that you have squirrelled over the years.

The season ticket option wasn’t available when I joined. Seems an excellent deal and the service is very good. HD pics and a reliable stream. Worth every penny.

evonne. I can’t explain it given the amount of rubbish sent my way following Black Sunday. Must be love 😉

169. evonne says:

Raddy – hmmmmmmmm….love….good luck 🙂

New post…….

171. Bstrum says:

Big Raddy, I was a more than a little surprised by your contention that LeGroaners cannot and will not moderate their bloggers. I have to concur with London – not only do they ‘moderate’ comments supporting Arsenal and Wenger, they practice censorship which would be Stalinesque were it not so utterly infantile and pathetic. It nauseates me to see them referred to as “respected” or “influential” in the media and I have to again strongly agree with London in that they cannot be called committed Arsenal supporters when they are a conduit of derision and hate towards the club. This vituperative, hysterical hate has had an effect on the morale of some of the supporters and thus on the players and the team performance, and this climate of contempt and disrespect for the club allows refereees the brazenness to sometimes quite openly, in my opinion, cheat Arsenal out of potentially title-winning points.

172. Visum und Reisepass für Dubai…

[…]Four days that shook The Emirates « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

173. Licht says:

Danke für diesen wichtigen Post. Ich habe ihn genau gelesen und bin ganz deiner Meinung.
    Solche guen Artikel findet man selten imm Web

174. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your
    web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website?

The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea