Act One Scene One

Let us start with the simple stuff.  We are playing Newcastle . Everything else has complications. Which team will we play? What are the tactics? What is happening with the squad?   Will the shenanigans with Cesc and Samir affect the team? How will Newcastle perform with their new players and the loss of major stars? Will last season’s lucky socks bring a better end of season result?

I cannot speak for all but I am really excited by this season. The potential loss of our best player (and Samir)  will not mean the loss of our football ethic and ability to win trophies. We are about to witness the development of the best English creative talent since Gazza (let’s hope JW has a longer career); TV has the potential to become a real world class player –  we missed his drive and resolution throughout last season, should he form a partnership with either  JD or Kos, we have defensive solidity. The loss of Clichy (who I liked very much) allows the fleet footed Gibbs and Traore to shine – they are the future. One of last season’s highlights was the Pole in Goal – still a baby and yet comfortable, relaxed and confident, an AFC legend in the making. What with the youth and skill of Ramsey, Song, Theo, allied to the experience and quality of Sagna, AA and RvP, what is there to be fearful about? And that is before we look at Chamakh who will surely improve in his second season and the dazzling talents of Gervinho.

It would be easy to see Newcastle away as the beginning of the end of our previous season’s trophy campaign.  I prefer to look at that amazing first half when we blew away a decent Newcastle side. This is the Arsenal I want to see – incisive, intelligent, impish,  involved and inspiring. Turn off the DVD at 4-0 and you will be a happy man; stay watching and you will see one of the worst refereeing performances in the history of the Premiership. Let us hope for better from  the referee today.

The team? Your guess is as good as anyone’s. Our midfield is decimated and yet we still have the opportunity to play with 4 full Internationals and three national captain’s (Rosicky , Ramsey and AA).   I haven’t seen any of the friendlies and have no idea about the form of our players but my gut feeling (based upon too many years as an amateur pundit) is the following:-

though we may be better going at a dodgy Newcastle defence and playing Theo in place of Rosicky. There has been talk of Lansbury getting a game – I would be loathe to start him at  St James’ which can be a testing ground for a young man, I would prefer the experience of Rosicky (though much depends upon the fitness of Ramsey).

A topic of discussion on yesterday’s AA blog was whether we play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or another combination. My take is that we  have such fluidity  there is no fixed formation, particularly when we play with overlapping full backs and centre backs who like to go forward!

And how about the opposition? Fervent, expectant fans will be expecting a win against an Arsenal team in “disarray”.. The Barcodes are a passionate club and their players will be fired up. The loss of Nolan could be telling as will be the lack of an adequate replacement for Carroll. Mad Joey Barton has yet to find a club yet it would be no surprise to see him start – Pardew will be  short priced at the bookies to be first manager sacked this season, and for that reason he may well decide to forego creative football for the malice and aggression we saw last season.

We usually start the season well and perform our best when facing difficulties. No Wilshere is disappointing but Arsene still has enough strength in depth to cope, especially as we have our first choice defence available (if this IS our first choice defence!).  Can we win? Of course.

Newcastle was home to  Reginald Mitchell (1895-1937). Who, you may well ask? Mr. Mitchell was an aeronatical engineering genius who designed and created the WW2 fighter plane, the Spitfire, without which Arsenal could currently be playing in the Bundesliga!

COYRRG

Big Raddy

223 Responses to Act One Scene One

All is well. BigRaddy is back in the building with his 4-4-2 and to cap it all 11/11. Life is just as it should be.
    Now to read it.

2. oz gunner says:

great post Raddy love the optimism. I think Kozza will pip djourou for the starting position though. I would be tempted to start walcott aswel because he tore them apart in the carling cup last year, and without enrique he could be a handful.

Should be a comfortable win today with a pumped up gunners team ready to show the pundits that there is life after cesc and samir

3. London says:

There is something very reasuring about a BR pre-match, it gives you a grounding, a sense of knowing where you are and that everthing is going to be alright.

Nice one BR

4. London says:

Rasp

Is it impossible to format that mini pitch above to 4.3.3 or something because that formation up there seriously undermines a really good post.

Great intro to the season Raddy … here’s what Arse.com have to say ….

Thanks BR,
    As I said 11/11 on selection and 10/10 on content. Loving the Mitchell bit. Have we moved away from those horrible heavy metallers?
    3-0 to the good guys.

Morning London,

The format of the pitch is as Raddy submitted it – you’d have to ask him to change it. He always puts up a 4:4:2 formation – I guess it’s just his stubborn streak (who else do we know who has one of those? 🙄 )

Anyway London, did you not read my formation of 4, followed by a fluid 6 yesterday???

And while I’m at it, what do you think of JC as our new saviour?

9. goonermichael says:

Raddy and his pre match is back. And welcome too!

10. NornIron says:

Why can’t more Arsenal “fans” be like you BR ..
    For some they get out the End is Nigh sandwich boards if we don’t spend silly money or if a pundit has a tizzy and yet again wrongly predicts our exit from the so called elite.

Awsome to see true faith and understanding of our team.

11. London says:

Morning Rasp

Yes, I did read your comment about 4 followed by a fluid 6, that would be a closer lay out.

Absolutely I think JC is our new saviour, Doh, I just got it, nice one.

Not even two months of fresh mountain air has shifted Raddy from his 4-4-2.
    Lets face it, had he pitched in with anything else we would be calling for Nurse Ratchett (better?).

13. harry says:

Big Raddy is in da house,
    writes a match report using his nouse.

An experienced old campaigner, a solid pro,
    Who believes this team will grow….

Who cares what is in a formation,
    We just want transfers out confirmation.

The experts have us losing all and in deep trouble,
    What do they know, This arsenal will win the double………..

Dont know what came over me there, so excited about this season now the games are on. forget all the other tosh, lets concentrate on who is there……..4-1 today,,,,,,,,,,,Nice one Raddy……

14. squilly says:

was’nt reginald mitchell born in stoke on trent if not why is there a full size spitfire in the city centre? anyway good positive blog as usual

15. dandan says:

Another positive regular back on duty, welcome home Raddy we have missed your input as this post shows.
    Our first win today, a new centre back next week and the show is on the road, just in time to stop Rasps mansion being surveyed by the auctioneers.

By the way BR living where you do and being a knowledgable music man do you see much of one of my great favourites Sissel kyrkjebo.

dandan,
    Cruel. You just made that name up to send BR into a spin.

Morning All. Thanks for the kind words…..

Formation? Why break with BR tradition?? But just for you London, I will go 4-3-3 next time out 🙂

Harry. I wish in my excitement I could be poetic, the Ladies must love you.

Squilly. Me Bad. You are right, he was born in Newcastle but Under Lyme not Upon Tyne. I have sacked my researcher and taken away his sweet allocation for the week. Mr. Mitchell is still a top bloke though ….

Morning dandan,

You are being pretty unfair on me, partcularly when I have never wavered from my support for Arsenal and at this point am disappointed to see that my take on things has been far more accurate than your own.

If we buy Scott Dann next week but end up keeping Squillaci and Almunia on the wage bill, I don’t see how our transfer activities can be seen as a huge success.

Rasp,
    I’m not getting at dandan, or anyone else in particular, but some people live in a world inhabited by fairies, goblins and wizards. Next week, next week, next week !
    Anyway, we’re all in together from 5:30 today.

I agree Micky, I am all positivity once the action starts, but facts are facts.

DD. Sadly, I have yet to see Sissel in the flesh. Thought I did see the Eagles and Jean Michel Jarre play during the Monaco wedding festivities. The Eagles were superb.

What was the bet that could lead to the enforced sale of Rasp’s house?

23. dandan says:

Mickey be carefull.it is possible that I could have a thing for faires. 🙂

AS for geting at me fear not my friends, once the plug is pulled the bath will empty and Cesc is the plug all else will quickly follow.

Mickey for you

Rasp have you a measuring tape or should I bring my own. 🙂

I don’t recall any particular bet Raddy, it has been an ongoing bit of fun between DD and myself for a couple of seasons based on his predictions on our transfer acitivty compared to my own.

I won last season and I am about to win this summer – unfortunately!!!

25. dandan says:

BR I to like the Eagles to but have wondered if they will ever exit that hotel, evidently they did 🙂

26. Irishgunner says:

Guys, anyone else having trouble logging into fantasy football? My team is shite and I can’t change it 😦 I go up early and all to do it.. >:-(

27. Irishgunner says:

The site is down since last night 🙄 *insert expletives*

28. dandan says:

BR there are those that think Rasp and I are at it, worry not he is still able to set the Golden maned warrior on me when he needs the occasional post .
    And after all he plays cricket on tracks I have batted on, so he cant be all bad can he.

Ooo err dandan
    Can’t work you out. A mixture of Fairies and Utter Doom. Mind you, all opinions are cool with me.

30. Red Arse says:

Squilly,

There are Spitfires outside the RAF aerodromes in many different places.

In fact, Mitchell, was born in Kiddsgrove, Staffordshire. I believed he died of cancer in Vienna in 1937.

This is a great footie blog, with the history thrown in for free! 🙂

😆 dandan, actually I shall be missing today’s game as I am playing cricket against Harlow Town, not my favourite manor – bit like playing away at Stoke.

Right people, off to the beach despite bloomin’ cold.

33. Red Arse says:

Hi Big Raddy, 🙂

Good to hear from you and welcome back. Like the rest of the crew, it is reassuring to read your regular pre-match.

You did not miss much on the UK blogs during your break, just the usual whingeing and counter-whingeing and everyone being anxious as the days wore on with no ‘big’ signings (Gerv?) and Arsene issuing contradictory statements. 🙂

Actually, Rocky and many other AA regulars and some exciting new debutant authors kept us raptly reading some very good Posts! 🙂

34. dandan says:

Rasp, I played against Zanone the Rhodesian fast bowler when they were called Stort CC and the ground was in the middle of the sports centre opposite, Gilbeys gin factary, I believe they moved from there years ago.

Old Harlow in the village just down the road was a nice ground back then, I dont suppose they are Harlow Town these days are they, you can ask some questions in the bar for me.

35. harry says:

Thanks Raddy, I wish all women did love me, but like a fool I got married………

Oh well we all make decisions we regret, um, Flamini, Hleb, Overmars, Petit, and perhaps Cesc or Samir?

For another amazing pre-match pop over and see what I have said here…………..Your support would be appreciated…….

Hopefully thats ok to advertise this Rasp? Could you stick Gunners4life on your blogroll as well please……

36. dandan says:

Mickey I have never been anything but positive my friend, for me negative is the black terminal on the battery. 🙂

37. Red Arse says:

Harry,

Have just read your Post on gunners4life and enjoyed it. 🙂

Is it your very own blogsite?

38. dandan says:

So have I Harry, nicely done sir.

Me too – nice one Harry.

40. harry says:

Red Arse, No I am one of 3 guys, been on there for about 5 years, but it fell away last year as a couple of undesirables ruined it, regulars left, still a few about, but had a core of about 25 like here…….The hardest thing is the other two dont have the time, you need many people like we have on here writing to maintain the site..

But I will float between the two sites for now, as I love it on here and i get to have intelligent conversations about my favourite subject……..

Thanks Dandan….

Good morning all.

I simply cannot contain my excitement today. The new season is upon us, and I, for one, am delighted that we are starting away at the Barcodes: let’s slay our biggest demon on the opening day of the season.

The birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, there’s a BR pre-match and an Arsenal game to follow. God is in His heaven and all is good with the world.

Transfer window? Pah, what’s that.

COME ON THE ARSENAL

42. harry says:

Thanks Rocky, off out now, eldest son (17) has a match for a mens team should be interesting!!

Harry
    Tell him to watch out for the older, slower men: if they can’t catch him they’ll try to kick him. At least, that’s what I used to do in my later playing days 🙂

Does anyone give any credence whatsoever to the Tevez story?

I imagine he would be a bundle of trouble and would be always pining for the fjords – sorry, barrios – but imagine what an attack featuring him and RvP could do…

45. London says:

How about Tevez to Barcelona, Nasri to City and Fabregas to stay put…………..I’m getting over excited now, aren’t I?

Nice one, BR.
    Great to have you back in the saddle.

Time for players and fans alike to stand up and be counted.

A little tune from a Newcastle band….bring it on home to me (the 3 points, that is)

London 🙂

Anyone know who the ref is today?

Please say not Dowd….

49. London says:

This is so clever.

gurkhaligunner says:

August 13, 2011 at 13:32

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸…¸.¤*¨¨*¤..,,,.. ¤*¨*¤.
    \¸.¤ ARSENAL ARSENAL ¤*¨*¤.
    .\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.,,. ¤*¨*¤.
    ..\
    ☻/
    .▌
    / \

50. neamman says:

No way the Tevez story is true. He would break our wage struicture!! I have my new away shirt and will be in front of the tv cheering us on. Am watching Rangers v Inverness and Bartley has gone off injured after 30 odd minutes. Not that he figured in our plans this year but I wanted to see how he played.
    I see disappointment today.. heart says win..but brain says a draw.
    Anyway.. we still have hope!!
    Love the Animals.

51. greg says:

just heard liverpool have offered 50 plasma tvs, 200 rolls of carpets and 100 pairs of reebok classics for tevez.

52. VCC says:

Rasp 9:49 Made my spine tingle and eyes water. Boy how I love THE ARSENAL.
    BigRaddy = Spitfires are in the fridge ready, new Shirt ironed and hanging up for an appearance at 17:30, chocs away.

Come on you Arsenal

Looks like Peter Walton, Rocky.

54. goonermichael says:

That is very clever London. Let’s spank those cheating Geordies today and show the 2 judas’ they’re not needed.

55. goonermichael says:

Spare a thought for those of us who have to work when the Arsenal are playing. In our hour of need please give generously. You know it makes sense. 🙂

London 1.46. That is brilliant. A sure sign of a man with too much time on his hands .

Being a soulman I prefer the original Bring it on Home by Sam Cooke but Eric. Burdon had a fine voice.

Tevez for Nasri? Mouthwatering but unlikely.

Only another 3 hours……

GM. My thoughts are with you, however following an extended holiday my few remaining kroner are staying in my wife’s wallet

58. oz gunner says:

@ Harry

good read. arsenal fans must band together because:

if your not apart of the solution your part of the precipitate

59. oz gunner says:

how about nasri for kompany, i remember him being linked with arsenal a few times before he came to man city. Great player, and was a bargain at the time. I’ll settle for yaya though

Oz. Good call on Kompany.

61. bedy says:

Kocsensly is far better than Djourou but the problem with all of you is you tend to look away whenever Djourou cause a goal and blame people aroud him and this has been going on for 3years now.
    If you study Djourou very well his reaction to reflexes is too slow and sometimes it makes him counfused,thats why he lack positioning senses.
    But look at Kocsensly the way he reads the ball and itercept attack, is the best in that area for our team and second best in the whole league but he is light wheight and i guess he is working on that area.
    Finaly take it from me the manager and the coaches at Arsenal are not stupid,when Kyle Bartley comes back from Rangers Djourou might find himself looking at the exit if he can not quickly find solutions to his defensive laxities just like Senderos.

62. oz gunner says:

@ Bedy

tough call on djourou! besides the ever reliable sagna he was our best defender last season. I think his confidence has taken a hit due to coming back too soon from injury towards the end of the season, and thats carried on into the preseason. However fully fit djourou is a very good defender (he showed it against drogba…yep a man who has caused us headaches for years and single handedly ruined the career of senderos), and the best thing about him is we have not seen his besy yet!

Kozza is a great defender also, hes great on the ball and pocketed messi in game one last season. Be proud that we have some great defenders coming through rather than rubbishing one for the sake of another.

63. oz gunner says:

…i do like the shout of ‘second best in the whole league’ though.

Any chance your his girlfriend or a relative thats forgotten how to spell your last name

My team apart from Kos for JD. I expect to see Theo at 60 mins.

And I agree that Kos is a better prospect to partner TV than JD, though Kos could well develop into a fine DM.

Liverpool couldn’t hold onto a lead at home. They must be in crisis 🙂

66. Red Arse says:

Crisis, Rocky? Crisis?

Deep ordure, my boy, deep, deep ordure, is more like it and I hope the papers reflect that tomorrow!! 🙂

Here we go.
    Wenger booed off the bus by Gooners. Oh Dear.
    My God, Arsene did not go with my Free Arshavin and Dingdong/Song axis. How shocking!

Spent big bucks on this new shirt, let Luck be my Lady tonight.

An early yellow for Barton would be nice ….

Micky, Is that true about Wenger being booed by AFC fans?

70. harry says:

thanks to all those that pop into G4L…….

Mixed start, gervinho looks lively……ramsey is getting about, worries about injuries already though with TV signalling the bench….

Good half but need the goals. Nothing happening between Rosicky and RvP. The former not making the passes, and the latter not attacking the space. Would love to see AA central and Theo on for Ros.

72. Red Arse says:

Total domination, but no cutting edge. Deja Vu? All over again? Tautology? 🙂

But much better than the media predicted.

73. SharkeySure says:

Luckily that was just for achange of boots Harry. I can only imagine the bile spewed forth by many who also thought it was an injury.

74. London says:

Yep, I agree Micky, the link up play is not happening, AA central for either Ros or Rambo.

Newcastle looked tired before the break……….that means Theo should be able to work his magic.

75. SharkeySure says:

No other team in the Prem could lose the quality of Cesc,Nasri and Wilshere and still perform that well.

Its a shame that more fans can’t see that.

Arshavin’s having a laugh if he thinks he can play that casual and stay on with Walcott and the Ox on the bench.

Deja vu. No cutting edge, lots of possession.

Gervinho plays like a hairy Theo. AA looking sharp.

SS. 🙂

Best ball to Robin from a central AA.

79. oz gunner says:

Liverpool draw? no way not with all those great english signings and millions of dollars spent!!!

My perception of gerv was wrong, i thought he was know for pulling the trigger, the first half seemed as though he was a little gun shy. Love to see walcott let loose down the right just to give us something different. Loved the chip by AA. Steven Taylor is one player i’d love to see in a gunners shirt

80. SharkeySure says:

Welcome back Mr Radders and evening to all.

Technically I’m on family visiting duties today, but with a laptop and liveonlinefooty.com the world is still turning

A win here would be a major major morale booster.
    COYRRR.
    Back after part 2.

82. goonermichael says:

hands up all those who wanted that cheating piece of dogshit in our team

83. goonermichael says:

geordie c==ts hope they go down

84. goonermichael says:

Dirty northern bastards

85. goonermichael says:

If our transfer business is finished we are in for a long hard season. We look very weak.

Song is an idiot, Barton is despicable and Theo is useless

87. goonermichael says:

Agree about theo Rasp . Barton is filth.

88. oz gunner says:

How do we have so much possession yet create nothing?That was poor by song, but barton is pure scum. How could someone look at themselves in the mirror after diving to the ground from a paw to the face. For someone who is so ‘tough’ thats disgusting!

@ Goonermichael

you are right, we need to dip into the transfer market for a striker (vela=loan,bendy=out), a CB and creator in midfield because when cesc isn’t there we are largely ineffective!

89. Red Arse says:

Rasp, you forgot to mention that cowardly liar Taylor.

Did you see his after match cop out? Disgusting!

Defence was excellent. Song stupid. Gerv seems to have been brought into the Arsenal way after those shameful pre-season performances where he kept trying to shoot. Ramsey looked v tired second half. Theo did everything wrong. TR7 had a decent game. Gerv also seemed nervous to me.

Overall I’m encouraged.

91. goonermichael says:

We ‘re going to struggle I think

92. oz gunner says:

one positive: verm and kozza played very well together, and didnt give them an inch

Exactly Rocky, Gerv seemed scared to shoot and Theo seemed scared to even try to take on the fullbacks.

Just wait for the retrospective red card for Song. We played with our charactristic lack of urgency.

In reality, I would have taken the draw beforehand with a team lacking Cesc, Nasri and JW. On the performance clearly the result is disappointing, but for me the biggest worry was how disinterested I thought RvP looked.

This team was 1 player short of our strongest eleven – and it is nowhere near strong enough to win the prem.

Once again a referee bottles it with Barton. Was Walton scared? Sure, the idiot Gervinho deserved a red but who grabbed him off the ground and threatened him?

We were lacking up front, I would have put on Chamakh to assist RvP who struggled today. A double change of him and Theo for AA and Gerv would have worked IMO.

Good games from Ramsey, Mozart and Song (apart from his ridiculous and Un-Arsenal stamp). Sagna and Gibbs solid. Chesney the same (why was he booked?) In fact the defence as a whole played very well, not allowing Newcastle a single shot on target.

I am satisfied with a point given the red card and the lack of creative MF’s.

97. oz gunner says:

i agree rocky, as i sent after the first half gerv looks to have adapted the no shot policy very quickly.

@ Micky

God don’t say that, thats the last thing we need (a want away/unhappy RVP). I think i’d curl up into a ball and cry myself to sleep if that happened

Raddy, Song will get a retrospective 3 match ban at a time when we are threadbare in midfield, he should be docked a week’s wages. When they review the incident they will see Song point his finger after the event a if to say ‘that will show you’. He is a moron and has let the club down badly.

Rasp. You are right – this team need something extra to win the title, but we have been in this situation for 5 years. Nothing changes.

But an away draw with 10 men and a moral victory (IMO) is a decent start to the campaign.

Right now, we are Invincible!

Rasp. Only a week? I would stop his wages for as long as he is banned.

I expect the transfers of Cesc and Nasri to be announced tomorrow – and then I expect our manager to sign at least two first team quality players or the crescendo of voices calling for him to go will be deafening.

The thought of going into Pool and Utd without Cesc, Nasri, Song and Gerv is shocking.

103. oz gunner says:

@ Rasp

Well said. Theres nothing tough about stamping on someone, completely idiotic. You want to teach barton a lesson tackle him hard but fair. Its not to late to give scott parker a call is it?

Last of my downers was the noticeable change in the attitude of our usually unbelievable away support.
    On the bright side, we are a point above Totterigham.

A lack of goals and goalscoring chances cost us the three points.

Song deserves a retrospective ban. Learnt a lot from Diaby being sent off last year, didn’t he?

How the f*ck can Joey Barton not be sent off for violent conduct?

How must the team feel when the gooners that bothered to go up there are singing ‘spend some f*cking money’ with twenty minutes to go?

Watching Arsenal is bad for your health.

Micky. I heard our away support all the way up here – perhaps there was a Northerly wind

107. Irishgunner says:

We were actually quite good at the back.

Song was silly, and I agree 100% with Wenger, both Barton and Gervinho should have been sent off/yellow cards because both were at fault, although it was that wanker that pulled Gervinho off the ground.

As for Szczesny, he got booked for calling Barton a “cunt” – we have our new number 1 folks, said it last summer and I don’t think many agreed. Good enough, you’re old enough.

Micky, where did you get the Wenger booed off the bus info from?

109. SharkeySure says:

His momernt of madness aside, I thought Song was very good today. He ran the showfrom the middle, defending well and pushing us forward when he won the ball back. Laid on a great chance for RVP to boot.

Compare how good he is on the ball to his opposite number Check Please, oops I mean Cheik Tiote…

110. Irishgunner says:

Chas – it was on tv. Some Arsenal fans clapped, some booed. (Unless they were Newcastle fans incognito)

And probably without JW too Micky.

Thanks Irish.

113. dandan says:

Bit of disaster that wasnt it, Song was a silly boy, Barton a very clever cheat and Taylor is a born lier. Apart from that the defense played well. Our new players found out what the premier league is all about. Udinese will be interesting and the next week exciting as we sort our transfers out.

Rasp please tell me at least you won at cricket 🙂

Chas,
    Text from a season ticket pal.

115. oz gunner says:

agree chas it is bad for your health, and staying up until 3 watching it doesn’t help the cause. Enjoy your evening fellow gooners

116. Irishgunner says:

No problem Chas – watch MOTD tonight, I’m sure they’ll show it again. It was when he was walking up the steps from the bus to the dressing rooms.

117. dandan says:

Right now do any of you have an ipad and can you post on AA through it. I can get the lead posts ok but dont know where to go from there

Reason I’m encouraged is that our defence was so good.

Our attack will play better. Indeed if someone had told Gerv it was a friendly we might have been 2 up in the first half hour.

Although he was poor, Theo will find his stride again. Ramsey is still only about 10 games into his comeback and will get much better.

But we do need a fit JW.

119. Red Arse says:

I thought Rosicky played very well today, much his best performance for quite a while.

The defence looked pretty sound today, as did Chesney.

RVP seemed lethargic, AA seemed well ….. just AA.

I have had my concerns about Walcott for a long time and today he did nothing to change my mind. He is just not good enough, for us. 😦

The most disappointing — no; the most sickening; — was the disgraceful cheating play acting by Barton, matched by the appalling (and successful) attempts by the cowardly Taylor with his frenetic elbow waving to get the Gerv sent off.

But wait there was more. Pardew the sly was defending Barton and said “Joey, like any professional, was disgusted by Gervinho’s dive, and went to tell him that, when he (Gerv) grabbed him and then hit him” (Barton).

No, no, wait, there was more. That bouffanted tart Keegan then said Gervinho cynically dived and deserved to be sent off for lashing out at Barton, even tho it was a slap and Barton went down “too easily”.
    In fairness to Savage, who I instinctively dislike, he said it was a penalty and that Keegan himself, in his playing days, would have gone down, as would all forwards in that position.

There are things and people in and around football that make me question why I bother watching. They are stomach curdling and make me feel dirty even listening to their bilious comments.

By the way, it transpired that the pathetically inept Ref and the Linos could not communicate with each other because the batteries in their earpieces were not working.
    So the idiot Ref sent Gerv off, tho he was on the wrong side of the incident and could not see what happened, and then after that he spoke to his assistants.

Am I angry? {Clearly a rhetorical question}

I disagree with some of you about Rosicky. Yes he was pretty good but it was a 4-4-2 level performance, whereas that role in a 4-3-3 requires an outstanding player and that he is not. Where were the drives into the box or the defence splitting passes?
    To some extent I blame the very poor attacking of the spaces today by RvP. For me, there is something not right with him.
    Everyone knows my feelings about transfer activity to date, so I shall hold back until the end of the window. Right now, we have a middle three of Ramsey, Frimpong and Rosicky to face Utd.

121. VCC says:

That was Dire..Dire …Dire…..watching paint springs to mind.
    Szs = Nothing to do
    Sagna = Competant
    Kos = ???? had no opposition
    Vermaelen = ???? had no opposition
    Gibbs = A bit shakey
    Song = Should have been sent off
    Ramsey = OK but won’t set the world on fire
    AA = Ordinary
    Van Persie = Went through the motions (next to leave at the end of the season at this rate)
    Gerv = Sent off. What happens when players come to Arsenal they freeze when having an opportunity to shoot.Sorry guys but you tell ME where this comes from? Stupid as it appears (if I did not know better) “Wait till you get almost within/in the six yard box” (Wenger??????)
    Rocicky = Industrious, with nothing special

Frimpong = Too little time to judge
    Walcott = Usual poof, what a pansy

Outcome = Patience is seriously running out with Wenger, he was God in my house, but my patience is now running out. This is not rocket science

I really smell very bad indeed, so its scrubbing up time for him.

123. London says:

Excellent comments Rocky.

124. I imagine that means Gervinho is out of the bindippers and manc games

125. London says:

Actually right now we have a midfield of Song, Wilshere and Ramsey to face United.

126. VCC says:

Irish = good enough, old enough = dead right.
    This guy seems to have some balls.
    Wenger always seems to complain about what other teams/people do. Why O why, does he not look into the mirror and address our problemS

That’s better.
    London,
    I reckon the FA will do Song a Red ‘un. Hope I’m wrong.

128. London says:

Leave Arsene, leave now, only when the next manager comes in and spends a load of money on crap like Liverpool (City buy everything decent that comes on the market) will the people who have called for your head for so long realise that just how much you bring to the club.

We would have strolled that game with Cesc. I don’t know what his goals and assists ratio to starts were last season, but I have no idea how we will play this system if he goes.

130. Has anyone got a link to Song’s “stamp”?

London,
    It will surprise you to hear that I could’nt agree more, but addressing the Cesc issue/role is a major concern.

If Cesc goes, then getting Fernando and Jagielka (can double as CB and DM) and we could challenge for everything. Well, except the CC which I’m not entering.
    Nite all.

Hmmm – I’m really surprised how gloomy most people are after that performance.

134. Why Rocky? I only saw the 2nd half and it wasn’t that good.

135. London says:

There simply isn’t the replacement for Cesc out there, even if we get 40mil for one and 20 for the other, there still isn’t a 60mil midfield player available and because there isn’t one Wenger will be critisised for not spending the money.

If he buys shite like Liverpool he is a fool
    If he doesn’t buy shite he is an arrogant Frenchman.

I agree in principal with Red Arse but to be honest I have given up on here as I never get a debate going and I will not bury my head in the sand.
    On a technicality Barton having been booked when Song should have seen red, walked off the pitch to talk to the forth official, which is a bookable offence.

Time will tell how good or bad newcastle are,but it was a pretty poor game.
    barton is a clever sod and picked his moment and at the end went out of his way by going allover the pitch to shake hands with our players.
    Strange defensively we looked competant but pretty lack lustre in attack.RVP had an off day and Walcott is pants. (am I allowed to say that).
    I will say rosicky impressed me more than i thought he was capable of now, but we haven’t got a squad hardly a first team wirh a few subs.Difficult times ahead I fear (am I allowed to say that)

Quickie at Rocky,
    For me its fear. Fear that with the exception of Jack, that could be our First XI and I don’t think its good enough for a long campaign.
    Really nite all.

Did you watch the game Rocky? Yes the defence was good, but at the sharp end we showed all the traits of previous seasons. We played without urgency and AW was clearly trying to protect a nil nil by the use of his subs. This was a poor toon team that has lost a lot of its better players and we hardly troubled them uo front.

I thought it was a very poor performance.

Song will not play against manu or pool I guarantee it. Once again there was a total lack of leadership when it started to go wrong. We have not improved over last season.

139. Kelsey. i won’t argue with you. Walcott is rubbish. We will struggle unless Arsene can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

140. evonne says:

I will never defend Barton again, he is a disgrace. He shook Gervinho like a rag doll. How the hell Gerv was red carded??

Oh well, so much for the Barton rumour.

Kelsey – I think both Rosicky and Arshavin were very good, Gervinho is going to be the next legend, Koscielny and Voytek solid, not bad at all in my books. Theo is pants, I agree; I gave up on him last year

141. Song should have stamped much harder. the ban would still be the same. I’d like to see his leg broken.

London, He doesn’t have to buy shite – that’s rubbish and you know it. there are other alternatives. It’s not my job or any other blogger’s to choose transfer targets but I will say right now that AW is making a very poor job of it.

143. Wonderman says:

I am surprised at the negativity on here. Last year we went down to 10 men and conceded goals, this year we kept a clean sheet. Everyone keeps hammering our defence but for some time now it has been our slackness in attack that has dropped us points. And for those of you chewing out Walcott, remember he is not and never was a winger, once Wenger starts allowing him down the centre you will see what his abilities are. At this point in time, we are no worse off points wise thn last season, but at least we did not collapse

Kelsy
    “am I allowed to say that?’
    What are you on about?
    Your pessimism puts you in the overwhelming majority on here today.

145. London says:

This is how I saw it.

Szcezney: superb; his performance should kill off the last few who are calling for a more experienced replacement. 8

Sagna: another solid performance from our ever reliable defender. 7

Koscielny: we need and English type CB, yawn, we don’t, he was excellent.

Vermaelen: solid as a rock, this man makes me feel proud to be an Arsenal supporter. 7.5

Gibbs: how many games has he played at LB, very few is the answer but gave the impression that he had been there for ages, great coming forward. 7

Rosicky: he will always be compared to Cesc while our Captain is still at the club. He needs a gaol badly to lift his confidence. 6.5

Ramsey: getting stronger every game but will suffer like Rosicky from the if only Cesc was playing syndrome. Unless you score or get an assist you have not done your job properly in this position. 6.5

Song: magnificent; Barton was clearly under instructions to try and get one of our players sent off, our Alex almost turned the tables on him. Stopped everything coming through the middle, it’s not his job to play the killer passes that lead to goals. 8

Arshavin: promises so much and yet frustrates more often than not. 6.5

RvP: sluggish, I just don’t understand why, although he didn’t receive particularly good service. 6.5

Gervinho: didn’t someone warn him about Barton, all he had to do is keep cool and Barton would have been off. He will get better but left me disappointed today. 6

I remain in the positive camp for now. First game of the season has never been good for us. I recall some dreadful starts at Highbury and an away draw is an acceptable start.

The positives outweighed the negatives today; the defence was secure and assured, Song , apart from his stupidity ran the midfield with strength and skill, Ramsey and Rosicky were busy. Gerv was fine up to the final ball.

Negatives: The lack of creativity, only one shot on target, dreadful crossing and final ball, indiscipline.

The return of JW will make a difference as will the unpredictability of Diaby (who looked very good for France)

147. London says:

Rasp

I don’t think what I said is rubbish. It is always easy to say oh it is not my job to know which players Wenger should buy…….why not, you know every player in the premiership. Who should he buy that is available and would have improved today’s team (not the squad).

How many of the Newcastle side would have got in ours today? In my opinion, none.

Our defence was better than theirs, our midfield at least tried to get forward and our attackers attacked.

It is all very well talking about Taylor, and he is a fine player, but our 2 CB’s were great today.

Kelsey. I am open to discuss your viewpoint. Yes, we have problems and we are unlikely to win the PL, but crisis? Not in my book

OK London, but if I say we should buy player A or player B, someone will just say ‘how do you know he’s available’?’, what I mean is that AW should be in the know.

This drivel about us being very active in the transfer market is just plain rubbish. We have bought some interesting players but none who will make much of an impact of the first team squad, which I will remind you is about to be depleted by 3 of last season’s first team regulars including the best midfielder in the premiership – so we’d better try a bit harder to be active in the transfer window don’t you think?

Yes Rasp, I watched the same game as you.

151. Raddy I agree. But they are newcastle and we are Arsenal. Our CC side should beat teams like that.

HI BR,
    i am sure you had a nice holday.I didn’t mention the word crisis.

153. London says:

As I thought not a single suggestion which just highlights the difficulty of it all.

154. London says:

Rasp

When asked in the week if he expects players to leave, Wenger said no.

Do you think he was telling the truth, of course not. The important thing here is to realise that he was not talking to you or I or any other fan for that matter.

These statements are part of a negotiation, the trick is to stop thinking that the statements that Gazidis and Wenger make are aimed at the fans, they aren’t.

OK London, so clever semantics are acceptable but a hugely irritating part of Arsene’s approach to management. “I don’t expect players to leave” – yes, very clever, he’s saying how he feels emotionally but not addressing the reality of the situation. He knows players are going to leave and he knows we know players are going to leave – what a waste of breath.

How will you feel at the end of August and we haven’t strengthened the squad?

Kelsey. You infer that by saying we have difficult times ahead.

We are where a club of our resources would expect to be in this new world of “money will out”. We cannot compete with the other 3 big clubs and now we know that they will cherry pick our best developed talent. But that could well change if the financial fairplay rules are enforced.

GM. True,

157. London says:

Good call GM

I will happily concede that one.

158. VCC says:

Agree guys, this is not a crisis, but lets get real here. Not so long ago we were invincible, now all of a sudden we are saying its fine to be also runs, and 4th is acceptable.
    Negativity is borne from Wenger not shifting second rate players and purchasing top quality replacements. Game after game we see some totally inept performances from far too many Arsenal players. This is fine if you want to stay 4th or below, but if Wenger is the messiah most people preach, then he should have the resources to address our weaknesses.
    Dare I say….is it time we say goodbye to Pat Rice (yes man) and move in someone like Ray Wilkins?

159. London says:

Rasp

They are not clever semantics they are the basic rules of negotiation.

Even if you have never run a business, you might have I don’t know, even if you have never bought a house at some point you will have been involved in a negotiation. For Wenger to say that he expects Fabregas or Nasri to leave would reduce the sale by 10 mil or something.

I just don’t understand how you can not be aware of the basic rules of negotiation.

VCC. Rice isn’t the problem. The problem has been stated by Wenger. The price of players who are tracked by the 10 or so big money clubs has sky rocketed to the point where they are not value for money.( €20m for Henderson/€35m for CArroll? ). So given Arsene’s insistence that Arsenal are run in a financially prudent way, we will have to take second level players and make them into top level players (Nasri/Sagna/Song etc) or buy kids.

Wilkins is certainly not the answer, A Russian Billionaire may be. Perhaps the board should re-think their attitude towards Usamov. (joke)

Creative attacking MF. Born in North London. Not getting enough games.

How about Joe Cole? (another joke – hopefully)

I’m sorry London but I don’t agree. I do run a business and I manage to do it without lying. You are correct, they are not clever semantics – far from it. It’s ridiculous for you to say that at this stage Wenger will increase the price of those players by trying to con other parties with the most transparent untruths, its dragged out this long because everyone knows that they will leave and he can’t squeeze any more money out of them because they hold the upper hand. The only club that is suffering in this is Arsenal, it won’t be the end of the world for Barca or City if they don’t buy their targets whereas it will leave us in a very sorry state.

163. London says:

Rasp

So if you were Wenger and you were asked if you expect players to be leaving what would you have said.

164. VCC says:

I don’t totally buy into this “We have not got the resources of other clubs” Agreed we have not got a sugar Daddy, but we were NEVER the richest club. Invincibles days we weren’t the richest by any stretch of the imagination, but we still wiped the floor with ALL opponents. Something somewhere is going wrong at our beloved club….we, the supporters, are not privvy to all that goes on behind the scenes, but it is glaringly obvious that something is not quiet right????
    Total up the amount that is spent on youth/sprogs purchases (for the past 6 seasons) then why did Wenger not buy a prooven premiership player when needed. Everybody cannot be wrong all of the time. If Arsenal are not careful, we will be on that proverbial slippery slope. As in any walk of life, once upon that slide, it is extremely difficult get back on top.

165. VCC
    He’s not the messiah he’s a very naughty boy. 🙂

166. Raddy
    I don’t think the fairplay rules will change anything. shitty have paid themselves a mega contract for naming rights to a stadium that they don’t own. They’ve already got away with it. If the few rich clubs say boo to platini he’ll shit himself. The mancs are soon to be owned by qataris and that’s game over I’m afraid.

167. London says:

VCC

“Invincibles days we weren’t the richest by any stretch of the imagination.”

Who apart from manu who were wealthier than Arsenal in the UK?

VCC. Why are you assuming after one game that we are on the slippery slope?

GM. We can but hope that football will not be ruined by oligarchs.

London,

I would have said that of course some players will move on, it is part and parcel of football, but Arsenal is a great club and we will attract other quality players who will be proud to play for us.

170. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh woe is me we drew our first away game 0-0. Someone remind me how United won the league last season….

Anyway didn’t see the game have been jumping into the sea from great heights..,,quite good fun if not a little scary at times.

See you all Monday when I return to a proper Internet signal and civilisation.

171. VCC says:

Big Raddy. Rice has done well for Arsenal both as a player and second in control. But we need something different and desperately need a change of personnel. Wenger, as I have said on here and many other sites is GOD in my house for all the wonderful things he has done for MY/OUR club (including a stone outside the Armoury with my Son and I’s name on it for life, how mental is that, picture can be posted as proof if necessary). I have admired Wilkins views/commentary for some time now and together with Chelsea’s demise when he was sacked, I think he would be the ideal replacement for Rice.
    We need to have a plan to get back on top, we all are singing from the same song sheet ala “Arsenal to be the tops” so in that vein I admit I do not know everything (99% yes lol) as all of us on here, but one thing is for sure we have a good healthy debate. As the all singing and dancing HEAD of Arsenal here’s my remedy = Wilkins in. Usmanov to replace Kroenke. Bergkamp in as offensive coach. Adams in as defensive coach. Me as scout (lmfao). Tweek buying policy and purchase maybe 2 elder/experienced players, and make them captain or Vermaelen. Sell = Squillaci/Walcott/Diaby/Bendtner/Almunia/Nasri/Vela/Denilson/Chamakh. STOP our players cuddling opposing players who get our players sent off ( can you imagine ManUre players cuddling Barton at the end of the game today?)
    And finally re employ Mr.Dein.

172. VCC
    Wilkins is one of the worse commentators on TV and he’s up against some serious morons.

173. Usmanov? Please no

174. VCC says:

goonermichael
    Seriously dissagree with you.
    Can you explain why Chelsea flopped immediately after he was sacked?

Howdy VCC
    I have to say that if (when) Cesc and Nas leave I will be worried if we don’t reinforce.

But as I said earlier, the defense gave me a lot of hope for the campaign ahead. We really missed TV last year.

176. VCC
    I agree about him being a good coach. He’s a terrible commentator though. He tries to be eloquent but his grasp of English grammer is worse than mine. The chavs flopped when he was sacked and then just as they were getting good again they flopped when ancelotti had to play torres against his will. that was down to abramobitch. That is what someone like usmanov could do.

177. I might be being naive but can our problems all be to do with not having the same resources as other clubs? Are we just unlucky that Nasri has chosen to leave at the same time as Cesc?

I feel that I’m still in the same place as the end of last season, disappointed and frustrated that we can have the possession and yet we’re not able to score. Again, today, players were in good positions to have a shot and yet they wanted to find the pass. Who is going to brake this trend?

As others have said, Song should be fined heavily for his petulant, really idiotic behaviour.

When all is said and done a point away from home when down to 10 men is not a bad result except that most of us who saw the game will have seen a first half an hour where we completely dominated and should have put a couple of chances away.

We have no idea how far along any of the negotiations are for buying or selling players but the facts are that it’s proving to be a very slow business. Barcelona have wanted to buy Cesc since last summer so making us go into the new season with him still on our books is nothing short of ridiculous.

178. London says:

Rasp

You know the journalist would immediately say: do you expect Fabregas and Nasri to leave. How would you have answered that without compromising the negotiating position of the club?

I am guessing you run a business rather than own one, correct me if I am wrong.

179. London says:

They offered peanuts for Cesc, should we have sold regardless? And don’t forget if things don’t work out they could sell him to City for his real value and we would then look very, very stupid.

180. This is really funny. he puts on last seasons top. I’m glad we’ve got him though

181. Why does my embedding suck?

182. Sid says:

‘Can you explain why Chelsea flopped immediately after he was sacked?’ – That’s a clever thing to say…

183. London – last summer we played hard ball with Barcelona and somehow AW persuaded him to stay but surely Barca were never going to have to offer what we thought they should pay because they knew that he wanted to leave us.

184. neamman says:

It seems we are lacking confidence. I think if we had scored in the first 20 minutes we would have moved onwards and upwarrds..but we didnt..and as time passed the confidence ebbeb. How long is it since we put 3 goals past another EPL team? The 4-4 Newcastle game?

Positives:
    Ww certainly cannot judge our defence on todays game as Newcastle were crap going forward.. but it was a nice start.. and they never looked rattled.
    Goalie looks like a done deal, we dont need anyone else.
    Ramsey looked good until he tired.
    Song was great but he should have been redcarded for the stamp.
    Gervinho showed enough that he will be very good when he settles in.

Negatives:
    No cutting edge..tell me..did anyone really think we were going to score?
    How many times were balls crossed with no one in the box. Give us a big target man we can aim at and let RVP play off him. I still would like to see NB given a run as a CF rathger than being played as a winger.

Other thoughts:
    Cant judge Theo, lets remember he wasnt 100% today.
    Although his antics annoyed me and he should have been red carded BUT..I WOULD like to see a Joey Barton type player at Arsenal.. at least he looked like he cared.. maybe Parker is the answer.
    Its not a disaster..but without a couple of repalcements for Nasri/Cesc.. we wont make the top 4 and maybe not even the top 6.

Clearly people took different things out of today’s game, so I suppose the jury’s still out.
    Things may be clearer after we see Exhibit B on Tuesday. Could be a very sour atmosphere at the Ems.

186. Sid says:

Why is everyone getting onto Song, our player, and not talking about Barton consistently diving from the start. At least we try to play football. Barton is a physco. I really don’t get everyone. It feels like our own ‘fans’ believe the media rubbish they hear and want to see a change at the top just for the sake of it. It’s sad really. Really sad. If you get want you want, don’t moan when it all goes to shit. But you will and blame everyone but yourselves for the subsequent shit storm. Get behind the team. What help does booing and complaining do. We’re a top team consistently at the top. Wenger has not ‘ruined this club’ as I see some twats write. Really, really sad state of affairs. Grow up you spoilt little brats.

187. oz gunner says:

Barton is pure scum (im such a deep thinker let me get on my twitter and tweet about how gerv cheats and how i love ralph waldo emerson), and i am perplexed as to why arsenal players were shaking his hand and smiling with him after them game (especially song. considering barton said to him “i’ll get you back”). I’d be livid if i was gerv seeing that.

The 433 system will not work without cesc to thread through ball after through ball. We do not create enough chances. As for sending in cross after cross (the manure game still amuses me) when we have no target in there is beyond me. Fair enough if their low and fast across the box (even then we haven’t had someone attack them since flamini left), but their not.

If someone isn’t brought in to replace cescs creativity wegner will leave even more fans asking for his head. we will get 60 million+ in sales and every bit of that should be replaced into the team

188. neamman says:

agreed, only fools boo their own team

189. oz gunner says:

Once again wegner brings up that he must find replacements. Do we even have scouts? was he naive enough to think fabregas would stay for another season?god replacements should of been looked at and identified last season, let alone mid august

190. oz gunner says:

As someone stated on another blog how is diabys red card any different to what barton did? also after gerv was fouled it was called play on and barton man handled gerv in the box is that not a penalty?!

Oz,
    You are dead right. No way will the 4-3-3 system work with the players we have, and if Cesc goes, then we absolutely do have the money to replace him.
    Individually, we were better than Newcastle in every department, so how come their keeper barely had a save to make?
    The other day someone on here said that we would never sign so and so due to our wage structure. We do not have a wage structure. We paid Henry £200k in his last season.

192. evonne says:

morning Micky – I feel better today, once I see our boys playing the beautiful game, the nerves calm down. Yes, we were the better team and yet there was just one shot on target. There were several good chances, taken, but successfully defended. Their keeper didn’t have much to do, but the defence was solid with the whole team doing their bit.

I was defending Barton until now, because I believed he was a reformed character. He isn’t there yet. I think in his old days he would have head butted Gerv for good measure, but a gentleman he certainly aint.

Oz- Song was ‘nice’ to Barton becasue he knew he was lucky not to be red carded. Plus, you don’t want that little nazi against you.

Hi Evonne,
    I hear what you are saying, although undoubtedly the press or fans making anything out of Barton’s performance is for me irrelevant compared to the issue that need to be addressed. I hope the incident is not made too much of in a camouflaging way.
    Paper run.

Morning all,

I’ve had a night to reflect on the game and our current position and still I find the whole scenario quite depressing – so let’s look at the arguments:

Our defence looked solid, the GK and back four all did their jobs well – but this was a pretty poor toon side, who offered very little going forward but like most average prem teams they know how to defend against our predictable style.

We out passed toon 3:1 but never really looked threatening in the last third.

Our coaching staff have excelled themselves and managed to coach Gervinho’s shooting instincts out of him in time for the first prem game.

We are now relying on Rosicky to be a major force in the midfield when he could hardly get into the side last season such is the shortage of creative midfielders in our ranks.

When our usually magnificent away fans are barracking the manager, you have to accept that the last bastion of hardcore support is running out of patience.

The Barton issue is an irrelevance. Song deserved a red before Barton got up to his antics. We apparently learned nothing from the 4:4 last year in terms of dealing with antagonistic players, Song as a senior experienced player should have been the one to set an example.

196. evonne says:

Morning Rasp – agree about Rosicky. Despite him having a good game there was a hole in the midfield yesterday.

Yes, Gerv stopped a couple of times in a perfect shooting position and made an unnecessary pass. That’s the Arsenal way all right.

There is a strong rumour that Wenger is going to the Quatari rich PSG at the end of this season.

Hi evonne – the net is rife with rumours as we all know so I don’t find the PSG story particularly believable. Apparently AW doesn’t want to be in the position of being told to spend millions on players so I can’t see why he’d be attracted to going to another cash rich club.

He’s brought in 8 new players so far of which at least 6 are potentially ‘an investment for the future’ – its about time we started looking at more players who can do a job for us now.

198. evonne says:

Rasp – amen (learnt from GiE)

Morning all,

The story is quite interesting to me as there are two paragraphs in it which quite clearly state that the pressure is being put on Wenger by kroenke (something I mentioned 2 weeks ago) and maybe the days of Wenger having complete control without any board influence are over,as now we have a single major majority share holder.
    With regards to PSG, that is old news and Wenger was promised a life presidency when he retires from management if he goes back to live in France,which is probable.AS manager,No, even with the huge influx of money at PSG that is not his way.he has a big ego and wants to do things his way, and there is no doubt he is committd to the club 24/7.
    Another theory is that if for one moment that the story was true, the experienced players would know and when they say they want to win trophies thay believe that Wenger is letting them down by not buying quality and therefore may leave.The key to all of this is if there is money available that has been sanctioned for Wenger to spend,but he still wants cheap buys or kids with potential.I don’t know the truth, but it is not a happy camp and whichever way you spin it we have won only 3 out of our last 12 games.

I concede that transfers are not easy to complete for various reasons but the Fabregas and nasri situation is not something new and surely if were going to replace either,knowing they were going it should have been done by now.RVP is injury prone but to me he is another who may also find with one year left on his contract next year together with Walcott that the same thing might apply.

It is not a crisis but definitely not a harmonious ship at the club.

200. harry says:

Morning all, well it wasnt what the doctor ordered was it?

But Rasp, @8.12am, you have summed up the biggest issue that we have at the moment…….

****When our usually magnificent away fans are barracking the manager, you have to accept that the last bastion of hardcore support is running out of patience****

As I said yesterday, we “the fans” will decide arsenals season, if we all get on wengers back before its gets going, then we will struggle.

There was some positives and some negatives about the game…

But lets just centre on the main talking point………

Bartons ripping Gervinho from the floor and shaking like a ragdoll for me is violent conduct, gervinho raised a hand and struck out and by the LofL deserves a red……

But where I disagree with the system and the authorities, is that it does not warrant a 3 match ban, each case needs to be judged on its merits.

Barton as the perpetrator deserved a red, but the ref gave only a yellow and cannot be looked at. but he should have his cards marked by the PL.

As for anyone saying that was a dive, complete tosh, he was nicked, whether you believe it was a penalty is open to opinion, but he didnt dive, but Barton did…..lol……

As for Song, he is a complete fool, silly boy could have really cost us so much more……

Star man for me was Rosicky…….

Morning kelsey,

Good points, I would be very unhappy to see RvP go, but I wouldn’t be too bothered if Walcott left, I am expecting Ryo and the Ox to outshine him during the course of this season. His performance and lack of aggressive intent yesterday was just what we have come to expect from him .It’s a shame he has such pace because it has deflected attention away from the other obvious deficiencies in his game.

202. evonne says:

Morning Kelsey – I wouldn’t be surprised if there was tension at the Club; I was watching for any sings of rift or disharmony, but there weren’t any. The lads look fairly relaxed and happy.

I have heard recently from a ‘reliable source’ that Wenger is VERY shocked and furious at fans for their anger aimed at him. Like you said, he has a big ego and the critisism must hurt. I also think that being a proud man, he will rather resign than be pushed

Rasp,
    100% Barton issue is an irrelevance. Just got back from paper run and that is all they were talking about on the radio. I am not entering into any discussion with any comments that mention his name.
    Before I went, I watched MoD, and in fairness it was the most exciting highlight of the game 😦

204. oz gunner says:

@ Kelsey

i’ worried about that scenario also. Walcott would not worry me that much but RVP would be a great loss (you know theres problems if he asks to leave as he is as loyal as they come)

Rosicky really is the master of the outside of the boot pass isnt he?! Maybe when we find RVPs free kick boot we can have a search for rosickys on target boot also. I’ll never forget those world cup goals

Kelsey,
    Why are transfers so hard? City cannot buy everyone.
    I know that Arsene and London will say that there is no-one out there available who is better than we have, but I don’t agree 🙂

As a game it wasn’t much of a spectacle,and a point at newcastle may turn out to be a point won or should have been three,as newcastle did not look anything special,so I suppose it was two points dropped.
    defensively we were fine,but missing Fabregas,nasri and Wilshere made our attack pretty impotent.
    Song should have been sent off (for 2 yellows) but barton is a cunning sod and waited to pick his moment, and having looked at the incident a number of times i believe gervinho was clipped, but barton’s behaviour was disgusting and he nearly throttled gervinho, but the rules are rules and gervinho shouldn’t have reacted.At the end barton went out of his way to shake the hands of every Arsenal player even our keeper who was some thirty yards away.I know there will be arguments either way but i expect retrospective action with song getting a second yellow and hopefully barton as well.

Morning Harry,

You are a wholesome red blooded man 😆 how would you react if you were getting a barracking? I know exactly what you’d do, you’d say bugger you lot and give every last ounce to prove the doubters wrong. Why then, are we being encouraged to think that our players are such delicate flowers that the slightest criticism will destroy them.

I’m sorry but I don’t buy any of it. It’s up to the players and the management to perform and earn the adulation. Yes of course we should encourage the players, but blaming the reaction of supporters for failures on the pitch is taking it too far.

Look at the word – it is a ‘re-action’, it happens after the event. The team doesn’t come on to the pitch to the sound of moans, but the human reaction to repeated lack lustre performances is understandable and can only be rectified by the players/management.

Micky ok let’s say they can be complicated, but to me there is no excuse and I really believe that this will be Wenger’s last season regardless where we finish.

Could somebody tell me what it was that Rosicky did yesterday that was of any use whatsoever in terms of increasing the chances of us scoring a goal?

Kelsey,
    I think it entirely depends on what happens in the next two weeks.

Actually i was quite surprised i thought he had a reasonable game,but we have wasted 2 years nusing him, and he isn’t getting any younger and as stated above he is no where near the player we bought after seeing his world cup performances.

kelsey,

Do you think that Kroenke’s intervention/involvement recently is a positive or negative influence on team affairs?

Okedoke, I’ll put it another way. I believe any one of our outfield players could have done an equally effective job as Rosicky had they been given the same role. In other words, we cannot play this system with the current players.
    I think I’m done.

Positive if Wenger falls in line, negative if he won’t be told.I believe thata majority shareholder will only get a profit on his share holding with success by the team.We maybe at an end of an era.

215. Rasp – the post has been scheduled to go up by WG at 9.30 so we don’t need to touch it.

Morning all

216. oz gunner says:

Sorry to interject Rasp,

Team wise i think its a positive because something needed to be done (we can’t have a scenario where cesc and nasri leave and we spend 20% like we did when kolo and ade left), wegner wise i think its a negative because for so long hes been used to doing his own thing. However a little motivation goes a long way, we’ve all felt for a few seasons now that we have been 1-2 players short of winning the lot, perhaps now kroenke is forcing that point.

agreed micky.Therefore we need a bigger and better first team squad.

218. WiganGooner says:

New post guys, Good morning all!!

WG

Morning All.

Kelsey. There is always disharmony when a new powerful influence enters the workplace. I am not sure where the assumption that AW is an egoist comes from- yes, he is confident in his abilities and never shirks from the publicity part of his job, but a big ego? Not in my opinion. That he worked so well with Dein is evidence of his ability to play the supporting role in away from pitch issues.

My fears lie in the unfortunate statistic of 3 wins in 12. There is a lack of confidence in the team which I believe stems from the transfer uncertainties. But why oh why can’t our forwards and MF’s shoot on target. The Rosicky miss early in the game was symptomatic of this malaise.

We are becoming “boring Arsenal” – there were times when I completely lost interest in the game which is not a good sign .

No need to apologies oz, it’s an open discussion and your thoughts are welcome. Definitely things need a shake up and the buck stops at the top – which is now Kroenke.

I am aware that he does not tend to get involved in team affairs in his other sports franchises, so I’m sure he’s not saying buy this player, sell that player, but he might be asking AW what he is planning to do about the growing discontent and apparent stalemate in his investment.