No Retreat, No Surrender

Written by Wonderman

It was back in August 2007, I remember arriving at my new seat in the North Bank Upper  for the opening game of the season, to a fantastic view of the resplendent Emirates pitch.

Our opponents that day were Fulham,  ‘easy game’ we thought,  except David Healy and Jens Lehman had other ideas. Within 52 seconds we were 1 nil down, you could have heard a pin drop when the ball went in the net. But that day the boys refused to be beaten.

The spine of Lehman, Gallas, Cesc and Van Persie complimented  by the aggression of Flamini and footwork of Hleb  pulled 3 points out of the bag,  by virtue of a Van Persie penalty and an Alexander Hleb goal. Fast forward to the end of January 2008  and we had tasted defeat only once, away at Middlesbrough and even then the squad was robbed of Cesc, Van P, Flamini and Hleb  through our friend injury.

However,  before our very eyes we were  witnessing  the birth of a new paradigm – ‘no retreat  no surrender’ we were refusing to be bullied . It took an injury of savage proportions at Birmingham’s St Andrew’s stadium  to Eduardo to disturb that mental psyche, and it has taken 3 years to regain it.

This season we have the best away record in the league. We have gone to Liverpool, Blackburn Sunderland and Everton and not tasted defeat. Phil Neville was quoted as  stating that ‘Arsenal can’t be kicked off the park anymore’ in mid November . That is some compliment !!

The most emphatic sign of our rediscovered  ‘no retreat no surrender’ attitude was the home win against Chelsea the following month. In that game we were aggressive tactically by imposing our strengths. Walcott not only kept Cole back through Cole’s fear of his blistering pace , but he also defended like his life depended on it every time they tried to attack down that side.

And aggressive physically. Djourou dominated Drogba  for the entire game like never before, whilst Song and Wilshere kept Essien and Lampard quiet whilst Cesc weaved hs magic, it was an unbelievable sight especially as we had been the better team against Man U in the previous game only to return with no points. Our attitude made the most powerful team in the league look powder puff.

Is this a coincidence ? I think not . When you look at what is emerging as our preferred back four Clichy and Sagna are two aggressive full backs who give wingers no peace. I don’t know about you but the look in the eyes of Vermaelen’s first Arsenal photo’s scared me to death  before I even saw him play for us,  but even then, I only had to recall his duel with Van P at the Amsterdam tournament to know his temperament. Who remembers Djourou almost taking the head off a Man U loan player who I think was playing for Wigan at the time, never mind his neutering of Drogba. Kosser has been a revelation for his first season

In midfield we have Nasri who showed Barton what he was about early doors , Wilshere who almost cut Salgado in half at the Emirates cup a couple of years ago, Song  who scraps as much as he delivers exquisite passes, Cesc who gives as good as he gets and Walcott who showed against Chelsea he can deliver in both attack and defence with spite.

Up front Robin is as aggressive as they come and Chamakh has shown he is no slouch.

This season I have sensed a new found refusal to be denied . The key, I think,  is to ensure that the likes of Diaby, Bendtner, Denilson and in fact who ever comes on the field to bring with them our new found mentality … no retreat no surrender once they do that we will not be denied.

79 Responses to No Retreat, No Surrender

1. dandan says:

Realy good read well done wonderman.

The Times Matt Hughes has had a right go at Fab and Wenger today. Another Chelsea luvvie pumped up by the Ruskies wallet.

2. Wonderman says:

Thanks Dandan, slowly but surely we are getting it right. I watched Arshavin’s goal again last night and before then did’nt appreciate the difficulty of it. I think we can say ‘he is back’ along with the growing numbers of warriors we have in the team/squad lets see how we go

3. Carlito11 says:

Hi Wonderman- I remember that game against Fulham very well- think I put Healy in my fantasy football team after that game- I am now a better judge of a player I’m happy to say! I think that you’re right that the first team have found that never say die attitude that we had 3-4 seasons ago. I used to be so confident of our team’s ability to fight back that I routinely called the last 10 minutes of the game “Arsenal time” as we seemed to have both the legs and the spirit to perform right up to the whistle while many teams we played had been worn down. It’s the sort of thing that wins titles I’m told 😉

Fantastic rousing post Wonderman, your name will be added to our list of authors by the end of the day.

Someone made the good point yesterday that the disgust at the referees performance was the motivation behind the strong vocal support against Everton and that we supporters at the ground should be able to reproduce that fervour to lift the team every game. The picture to the right of Keown is an example of the fighting spirit we need to engender. I can’t remember quite how many players were suspended after that game, but we fought back from adversity and the rest is history.

We will have quite a few absentees through injury it appears against Newcastle at the weekend, but we need to dig deep and win ugly if necessary.

5. Carlito11 says:

The widget on the right makes for good viewing this morning 🙂

6. tommystout says:

a good read wondermn, i think it will be key for our run in who comes in for injured players and carrying on this never say die attitude. i cant imagine it from some players however, the usual suspects – so im fingers crossed that we stay lucky with our injuries.
    Tshite radio yesterday and other negetive journo’s will only toughen our resilience and bring our boys together.

Thanks for a great post Wonderman. I had a real feeling on Tuesday night that we had the ability to fight back – first time for a long time – and I wasn’t disappointed.

You reminded me that I hadn’t seen the Arshavin goal again so here it is

8. London says:

Rousing stuff Wonderman

A very enjoyable read.

9. GunnerPete says:

Good read but it did point out the major flaw in our squad ie; injuries to Song and Jack and we are left with Denilson & Diaby neither of whom are ever going to be good enough. I do have one solution though and that is assuming Vermy comes back and settles beside Djourou (sounds great) then Kossy is perfect for the Song role and would fit great beside Cesc and Jack.

So sell the other two asap and do the above, then add Frimpong & Lansbury and we have a top CMF.

10. SharkeySure says:

Wahaeey Wonderman, cracking debut mate.

You’re long overdue for writing a post, I first asked you over a year ago, when Peaches had asked me to write one. I don’t think you’d even heard of ArseArse back then.

Just watch out for Peaches now though, she’ll soon have you writing posts by candlelight.

11. SharkeySure says:

I also know that you’d written this post before The Everton game, even iof I had no clue as to the content.

Tues night only served to further underlne your points. There’s hardly a player in the squad who shirks a battle, not even the much maligned Denilson. All of them are fighters and when the going gets tough they all respond in the right manner.

As for leadership. Watching Fabegas go toe to toe with some of the monster CBs and midfield hackers is a real joy. He almost seems to relish those battles. They hack him down, he just gets up, dust’s himself off, gives them ‘that look’, and goes for them again.

I wouldn’t swap Fabregas for Messi !!!!

12. SharkeySure says:

GunnerPete, respectfully, dig out the highlights of France vs Bosnia (101 goals?), then ask yourself again if we really should sell Diaby.

His inconsistency is maddening at times, but he has the sort of quality that we really need. Selling him now/this summer would be madness.

13. Wonderman says:

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. For the record you have Sharkey to thank/blame for me becoming a regular reader ( and now contributor!! lol) to this fantastic sight. It is fantastic to be a part of it. As Dandan alluded to earlier we can no longer rely on the paid hacks to encourage healthy debate but sites like this one is a breath of fresh air

14. Wonderman says:

@ Gunner Pete I dont think we have a ‘major flaw’ in our squad in Denilson and Diaby. I think Denilson’s arsenal career is near it’s end as I cant see him getting past Song, Wilshere, Cesc, Nasri, Ramsey , Diaby and soon Frimpong, Jet and Lansbury. Diaby is a different kettle of fish. The guy has all the attributes and has shown it in glimpses but we have not seen enough.

What I think we have seen this season in addition to the new found grit I wrote about is a recognisable ‘preferred 11’ who trust and fight for each other and the emergence of a bench full of hungry interntionals

15. JollyMike says:

I love the team when they fight like they did in the Everton game. I hope it continues for the reminder of the season.

Actually I was affraid that the focus on the ref would hinder the players in their fight too win the game. I think the break came at a perfect timing. I’ll bet Wenger calmed them down and said that the focus should be hard work coupled with quallity on the ball and in our movement.

Diaby started slow but came alive through out the game. Hope he’s on the up! I’m sorry for Fabianski and his injury.

Keep up the good work. Great post!

16. 26may1989 says:

Great read Wonderman – it’s that steel in the side that gives us hope that we can battle through to the end this season. Quite right for Cesc’s attitude to be highlighted in all this, but a word also for Wilshere. He has been magnificent this season for a variety of reasons but his worldly way of dealing with the physical side of the game (both the receiving and the giving of the more robust challenge) has been a very important element.

At the start of the season, he looked uncomfortable in possession in the defensive third (remember Liverpool’s equaliser?) but he has learned and adapted quickly, and he has been increasingly level headed and intelligent in the way he brings the ball forward and distributes it. Plus his defensive work has generally been good.

A quick word re Gary Neville. Yes, I know he’s one of those players others love to hate. But I have a lot of time for him: not only was he the best player in his position and a key part of a wildly successful side (and formed an excellent combination with Beckham) but to me he is that rarest of things, a one-club man who played for the team he always supported. He was a fan on the pitch. Hate him, hate United, please, but that quality marks him out.

So from me, well done Gary Neville.

17. 26may1989 says:

@GunnerPete, some good points re alternatives to Song at DM. And a number of people here and elsewhere have made the point that Djourou or Vermaelen could also play in that DM position, and in fact have done before they joined Arsenal. So once we have a full complement, we have four players who could play at DM or CB.

18. SharkeySure says:

Btw it was Manucho playing for Hull that Djourou nearly decapitated. Can’t believe you were hazy on that one, every time we talk about DJ we laud him for doing it.

One of his finest moments, and a pre cursor of what was to come. £15-20m fo Cahill..Lol

19. johnny hoy says:

Better team at Old Trafford, bit strong.

Hi JollyMike and welcome,

I’d start Diaby for the toon game and see if he can start to build consistency, he did nothing wrong as far as I could see against Everton. Jack is looking a little tired, we need to keep him on top form as I reckon he’ll start against Barca. We may have to see Diaby, TR7 and Denilson on saturday as it seems unlikely that Song will play.

21. Wonderman says:

Hi Rasp agree with you 100%. What we as fans need to understand is that players need 5/6 consistent games to get their tempo and also in sync with their team mates. Diaby definitely needs games

22. Carlito11 says:

Wahey! I got through the lottery! She wore, she wore… 🙂

23. Geoff Strong says:

This season reminds me of 1998, trailing ManU at the start of the run-in. A young goalkeeper (Manninger then) stepped up to the plate, a fringe player (Christopher Wreh) scored crucial goals in tricky away games (come on Nicky B) and the whole team defended as a unit all over the pitch. The rest is history, and I have a feeling history will repeat itself.

24. SharkeySure says:

Geoff-S – away at Bolton..??

I also think we’re in pretty good shape, although I am a little worried about the no. of games that being in four Comps can generate.

25. Red Arse says:

Geoff,

Good point and a nice memory jogger, that attitude could be key from now on.

BTW thanks for your spreadsheet, a work of art and dedication if I have ever seen one. Thanks again. 🙂

26. Red Arse says:

Wonderman,

Bit late on today, but I would like to offer my compliments as well for a very good debut Post. 🙂

27. JollyMike says:

Yeah, I agree that Jack is feeling the tough program. He should have a rest.

If 1998 is going to repeat it self it will be a beautiful thing. It’s the best championship I’ve ever witnessed. When Adams hits the sweet goal on the half volley I felt the tears in my eyes.

It was a long time coming!

Come on you Gunners!

28. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

Following up your comment re the Times reporter giving Cesc and Le Prof a hard time, I saw in another paper to day a similar attack on Cesc.

Starting off with the cop out word ” alleged”, the report went on to list Cesc’s “crimes” and how they had increased from once a year to several times a year currently, and reflected badly on his reputation and persona.

The cause of this malaise, according to this pathetic journalist, was his burning desire to play for Barca and his frustration at being prevented from doing so.

Now my understanding of the word “alleged” is; “stated or declared, but without proof or legal conviction”.

However, the way the article was written flew in the face of this definition and expressly and implicitly made clear these were “crimes” in fact or deed.

My advice to Cesc would be to reach for a handy lawyer and have at the b*st*rd!

29. Geoff Strong says:

Sharkey, Yes Wreh scored the goals in three 1-0 wins I can remember, Bolton and Wimbledon away and in the cup semi final against Wolves.

Also remember Manningers blinding performance in the Wimbledon game.

30. Carlito11 says:

SharkeySure- didn’t you “smell a call up for Kozzer” the other day? Well you have an excellent nose sir!

31. dandan says:

Just read that Sami has been voted French Footballer of the Year, was not aware, but well done Sami lets hope you win ours too

Afternoon all.

If any of you have read the headline post in LG and it is in fact factual we have next to no profits going forward for this year and will have again have to sell, cue Fabregas .

Congratulations Wonderman on your first but surely not your last post.

33. Carlito11 says:

Nice plaudits for our French contingent following on from the nice if slightly oversimplistic compliment that Capello paid to Jack. If Cesc could get a little media appreciation too…

Geoff,

manninger was in goal for the last 9 games,saved a pen at West ham and played in the Cup Final against newcastle.Big mistake to let him go,as Seaman was coming to an end of an era.

35. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all. A lucid memory jogger there and another great de-boo(c. Richie Benaud) on AA.
    Talking of our Austrian ex-goalie who can forget his performance at Old toilet where Marcy Marc Overmars scored the winner after making a monkey of the recently retired ugly Nevile sister Gary ?
    Peachy/Raspers, if you’re around I have the whiff of a rant for tomorrow, if the post cupboard is bare.

36. Carlito11 says:

Kelsey, I love that the other site first said that Wenger makes a personal profit from transfers after the Holloway story last week and has now published a story that he does not without taking any credit for casting the aspersion in the first place. Gutter press journalism 😦

37. Geoff Strong says:

Kelsey,

Agrred. Manninger also kept 6 clean sheets in a row in the league, a club record then, probably still is now.

Carlito,

completely agree.

geoff,

I would go as far as to say the Manninger’s confidence was shattered and he never recovered.

What is is with Wenger and keepers, even Lehmann was a little strange 😉 Then we had that swedish/egyptian who lasted about 5 minutes.

you have to forgive the likes of dandan and myself,our memories are fading and don’t always remember recent news but can recall a game of 50 years ago 🙂

40. Harry says:

Wonderman, Great article and I can see your approach and what you are getting at. Certainly I think in many respects we can all agree that there is an underlying mental issue that has affected us greatly at times, which is strange in that up until the last few years that “Mentality” was what had maintained us at the forefront of the Premiership.

Have we fully grasped it now? Now that is a big statement with some evidence, but conclusive? I am not so sure, there still seems a brittleness to us under the surface at times, I haven’t got the confidence as yet that I had with the early Wenger teams and obviously the invincibles.

I believe in the team and agree with the fact we have a stronger squad as a whole, they have technical ability to burn and on their day they can out play anyone including Barca, they have only to conquer their mental blocks and I think they would be very difficult to beat for anyone.

The other night, the team and supporters became as one and is that bond that can help the players overcome their fears and blocks, and drive them on, I am sure on my headstone will be engraved, “Martin gave Arsenal his unconditional support and berated those who didn’t” or words to that effect.

It is this unconditional support that lifts and raises the players to excel and reach new heights, laying their bodies on the line for the cause, for the team for us the fans. The other night the raucous noise that deafened the North London skies lifted the team, if anything as much as the officials annoyed us, it was the injustice that got the crowd going and in turn the players raised their game, so do we actually thank Lee Mason? Would the players have responded without the atmosphere been so heated? I hope so, that is where I can’t conclusively agree that we have made that break through as yet……………

So I do believe that this mental barrier that the players have can be overcome, but the fans must support the players when required, the moans and groans do little but restrict the players, by adding fear to their play and thus not allowing them to express themselves. To show how bad the Emirates Boo boys have become, players of the quality of Arshavin are even now having a crisis of confidence, is nobody safe?

41. London says:

Hi Kelsey

Speaking of LG, I see they have climbed down from their ridiculous position of suggesting the club financially incentivised Wenger not to spend by way of bonuses.

Anyone with half a brain knew that was nonsense from the moment they put the idea forward.

As for today’s headline, when it comes to having an insight into the financial position of the club, they no longer have any credibility what so ever.

42. Wonderman says:

RA and Kelsey thankyou for your kind words, Harry thank you for your positive feedback.
    Just to be clear, I wasn’t suggesting that we had arrived ( and apologise if it came across like that), but as I said in my post we now have a hardcore of players who refuse to be beaten. This season we have gone to Blackburn, Everton, Liverpool, Mancity, Villa, Birmingham and are unbeaten having given a good account of ourselves. Its a definte improvement on previous seasons dont you think ?
    On the boo boys ignore them

43. Ahermm, you boys behind the bicycle sheds – I hope you’re not forgetting our policy stating that we do not approve of bloggers using AA as a platform to criticise other sites 🙄

Don’t start Sharkey off for goodness sake or his mate Frothing Inarticulate Loon will land us in court 😆

44. Harry says:

@Wonderman, no need to apologise mate, as I say I can see where your coming from and yes there is an improvement without doubt and its getting better as the season goes. I just feel there remains that brittleness that if broken by whatever reason, sees us struggle again……I agree also that in I do try to ignore the boo boys but when I think they are not conducive to the issue, I speak up……I just repeat myself continually hoping to convert them….Stand as one, Stand Together and conquer all……

45. Geoff Strong says:

Harry

“Stand as one, Stand Together and conquer all……”

in other words “victoria concordia crescit”

46. Carlito11 says:

Sorry Miss! Won’t happen again 😉
    Harry- just one addition to make your fabulous point. When the team had such fortitude that one could be sure of a bounce back or a late goal the crowd didn’t get edgey. There is a reciprocity which has become a vicious downward cycle best exemplified by the treatment of our goalkeepers and Eboue. I beleive we have now broken that cycle as I see similar exhortations to get behind the team all over the web and now the key is for us to first have confidence in the team (get off their backs) and at the same time for the team to keep showing that they won’t just roll over when it’s against us. Hopefully a virtuous cycle get establish itself as a result.

47. Carlito11 says:

The trouble is (and some of the lads around me feel this way, though I am the eternal optimist)that if you give someone your trust and confidence and they repeated break it then you’re twice shy as it were. I think that’s been part of the problem with the atmosphere. Even though I don’t think it’s a good enough excuse it’s easy to understand the psychology- a bit like a breakdown of trust in a relationship…

48. Carlito11 says:

I know it ain’t easy for everyone to do but my take is similar to this (allegedly Mark Twain) quote: “Dance like nobody’s watching; love like you’ve never been hurt. Sing like nobody’s listening; live like it’s heaven on earth.”

49. Wonderman says:

@Harry agreed
    @Carlito 3:20 spot on. I take extreme pride that this season at the Emirates I have seen Drogba ‘beasted’ by Djourou, Kevin Davies taken care of and Saha reduced to an offside goal. All without our so called best centre back out injured ! and constant changes. I despair at those supporters who dont/didnt give Kosser a chance….their silence is deafening

50. Harry says:

@Carlito11, I can see why you do your job!!! And lets hope that cycle has been broke,……..
    @Geoff.Agreed Victory through Harmony is nice way of summing it up, but I do like my fist clenching, drum banging tub thumping rise and stand tall methodology. Unleash Hell…………..One game at a time…….

For those fairly new on here who might wonder about my username it came about as I sat next to Jack kelsey on the Flight to Brussels for the Fairs Cup Final in 1968 or was it 69.he was a gentlemen and it was an honour to talk to him.He had the largest hand span of any keeper at the time,but i believe Pat Jennings beat that later on.Jack of course as many of you know later worked in the old club shop.

52. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey,

That was sad and also horrifying.

I heard on the radio today that the corned beef sandwich had been tested (or other supplies from the same source) and found to be clear of bugs. Makes you wonder what else it could have been?

53. charybdis1966 says:

Kelsey, your explanation for your username makes me feel quite embarrassed about the origin of mine.
    Oh dear.

54. Red Arse says:

I am interested in the discussions about “mentality” and the pulling our chestnuts out of the fire.

I am sure that team belief plays an important part in every successful team. Both Manu and Chelsea players have said that they went into every game believing they were going to win. Exactly the same thing the Invincibles players said.

Can I add a thought of my own?

Good but not necessarily great teams can and have achieved tremendous feats beyond their natural ability. The one thing they had, the great and the good, was a natural born goal scorer!

For us Gooners, Ian Wright Wright Wright was one of these and often helped us to win games where we had played poorly simply by scoring an outstanding solo goal, often out of nothing. The man, Thierry Henry did the same and better. 2:0 down? Titi went on a mazy run, and bang, bang it was 2:1 and everything to play for. We would then go on to win.

Manure have had “Horseface” aka Van Nistleroy as well as Cantona etc, while Chelsea have had Drogba.

I would feel a lot happier if we had a greedy, goal obsessed forward who would score out of nowhere, even when we were not playing well as a team.

Passing beautifully and adopting the “any of us can score” philosophy and spreading the goals around is not to be sneezed at, but I would love to have a blinkered, out of my way, greedy, goal scoring character in the team.

Coupled with our beautiful football and tremendous technique, such a player would make this team the “Invincibles Mark 2”.

55. Hello all

Just remembered that BigRaddy is still away and wondered if anyone wanted to volunteer to write the pre-match for the Newcastle game.

56. SharkeySure says:

Carlito, in spite of Peaches warning, I’ll just say that it didn’t start last week with them. Its a drum that they’ve been proudly beating quite severely for at least two years.

That todays post contains no apology is an absolute disgrace

57. Gooner in Exile says:

Cracking post Wonderman.

Good comments going all the way through, I haven’t really got anything to add but I do wish the media would stop trying to convince us our defence is brittle, 1 league goal in 2011 conceded and it wasn’t a goal?!?

Ho hum onwards and upwards friends time to prove to the media that Wenger has been right these last few years and that the squad would come of age.

Worrying injuries but we’ve overcome them in the past, but perhaps we should put in a recall for Eastmond or JET.

The Ems was certainly rocking on Tuesday night.
    A few more games like that and I might even start to like the place!

Goosebumps, indeed.

60. charybdis1966 says:

I was a few yards to the left of where the 8.54pm video was taken from, in fact I’m sure I can gear my cracked, hoarse shouting amongst the in-tune voices.

Excellent uplifting debut post Wonderman.
    Peaches said something in one of the comments that really chimed with me: it was the fact that despite being a goal down against Everton with the clock ticking, she felt confident we would win. I had the same feeling. The “mental strength” that AW is always banging on about is finally beginning to materialise – and against the Toffees it was almost palpable.
    Quite a refreshing change from being two up and thinking “we have every chance of throwing this away.”

62. charybdis1966 says:

Rocky, I put down my relaxed mood at half time to the effects of the pre match beers not wearing off, sober I would have been a nervous wreck.
    Nonetheless I still thought we had it in us to over run the toffees who I felt would run out of steam and drop a few clangers, which they duly did.

63. Harry says:

Chary, I was just a few yards to the right of that video, I was right near the Everton Fans…….It was a fantastic response by the fans……….

64. charybdis1966 says:

Block 24 Harry ? I was 25.

65. Harry says:

Yep 24, row 12 3 seats from the Everton fans!! and how I enjoyed giving it back to them……..

66. charybdis1966 says:

Ouch(during the 1st half), it must have been well worth it when the second went in though. I was the first one to start the “Who are you?” seconds after Kozzers header. Priceless.

67. London says:

Hi Carlito

I just found your 3:25

What wonderful words, thank you. I shall go to bed with a smile on my face.

68. Gooner in Exile says:

My voice is still recovering from Tuesday night, nearly had to go silent at client today to give it to heal.

Wonderman,
    Great post. Don’t like not being around to participate. Ah, game tomorrow. The week has flown. Win this, and we have a real chance to put on an extended winning streak. Three homers to follow.

70. Gooner in Exile says:

BTW on the finance side I don’t think we have too much to worry about, so anyone concerned should have a look over at Arsenal.com corporate info. There’s a lot of blurb but it’s worth the read.

If you have a look at the results for 09/10 you will see footballing operating profit was £56.8m (before player trading and depreciation).

Don’t forget those numbers were pre the new Sky deal, so there will be considerable increase in the operating profit from this come the end of 10/11 financial year.

Despite sales of Adebayor and Toure the player trading profit was only £13.6m and the property profit was £11.2m pre tax. Our bottom line pre tax profit was £56m, take out the above and pre tax profits will be £31m now add increased Sky Revenues. The future is peachy 🙂

Morning all.

Just a quick visit.So Fabianski is out for the season and Song is a definite non starter for tomorrow,though Walcott is fit.

GIE,

I agree our finances are quite stable and with the new ruling coming in I expect our players wages to come down overall with certain older players leaving in the Summer.

Intersting to read abour “player power” at Liverpool influencing Torres’s decision to leave.I can see more and more of that happening with these exorbitant wages players are getting and i always thought that the senior players in the England team had a huge influence on Capello’s selections.

72. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening kelsey

Is Electric Yellows absence as a result of the Everton game?

hi gnarley,

i expect so, as went off at half time.

gnarley – how’s life in your part of the world? Seems the weather gods are very angry about something at the moment 😦

kelsey – can you see your new avatar? Sorry, I misinformed you about the international game – silly me its on Wednesday 😳

75. gnarleygeorge9 says:

G’Day peaches

The weather Gods are just fine where I am 😎

And the footy Gods are smiling down on The Arsenal.

76. charybdis1966 says:

Morning Gnarley, you’re in Tazzy aren’t you ? Well away form the cyclones up north.
    Funny thing was that on Tuesday the only thing that registered through my drunken haze at the beginning if the second half was I saw Diaby come on and looked round for Song – that sobered me up quickly.

Silly stadium people flashed up Nasris name to say he was replacing Song – I did a double take at that point.
    Nasri back – whew I didn’t see that coming !

77. Sol Faul says:

Hi, thanks for this comment 🙂