Which Arsenal will turn up this afternoon?

Another tough game on the road. Goodison is one of my favourite grounds, there is always a good atmosphere and the food used to be good!  Plus Kevin Campbell (a diehard Gooner) was a big success up there.

The stats going into this fixture definitely indicate a home win, Everton are in a fine run of form, have finally got through their regular dreadful start to the season and are climbing the table. They have drawn with Man Utd and beaten Liverpool at home and today will be expecting another good result. We on the other hand have been going through a topsy turvy run, sometimes playing sublime football and the next losing to the Barcodes. Let us hope for a continuation of the grit shown at Wolves.

Everton will be missing Fellaini which is a major positive for us, but both Heitinga and Rodwell are in contention. In Arteta they have a player who is almost as good as Cesc (not really!!), and we can expect an even battle in midfield. With Pienaar (often cited as an AW target), Cahill and Yakubu, they are dangerous both on the break and at set pieces. With two fine full-backs in Baines and Hibbert and another AW target (?) Jagielka alongside the experienced Distin, they should be solid at the back.

I am not anticipating a repeat of last season’s result at Goodison!

AW has an almost full squad to pick from. He intimated that he will rotate the midfield which I take to mean the JW will get a rest. I would play Theo in the final 30 mins when his pace will cause Baines problems and hopefully stop him venturing into attack.

Theo and Nik to come on after 60 mins.

For historical details about Everton please refer to my Liverpool posts! All I know of the area is that it inspired a fine album by Paul Weller named Stanley Park – but I would have Weller down as a Chelsea fan.

With the results benefitting us yesterday and Chelsea having a relatively tricky home fixture (Sunderland),  three points would be great but with our inconsistent form I would happily take the draw.

COYYRG

86 Responses to Which Arsenal will turn up this afternoon?

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

BR

I hope the winning Arsenal turn up. Its been a shite weekend for me in sport, so hopefully Arsenal takes all 3 points 😉

Paul Weller a chav 😯 I have every Jam record released, but now I might offload them 😦

2. gnarleygeorge9 says:

If they kick kicking out of footy, wouldn’t just become heady 😉

3. gnarleygeorge9 says:

This is my favourite scouser clip, with a touch of Toffee to it. Infact the Toffee looks like a bloke I know David Boon who played cricket.

BR,
    Very, very cunning. 4-4-2 with camouflage!

Gnarley,
    What can be wrong with your sporting weekend? Nothing of any importance has actually happened yet, has it?

Got to go.

7. pland says:

everton kick arsss outa the pitch then get max points brek some feeble arsenal legs today! have wenger for dinnner mates?

8. Hi Micky – gnarley is in Oz, didn’t something happen in the cricket that might have upset him ……..

Hi pland,

Thanks for your intelligent and well written comment. If you are representative of Everton bloggers, they have much to be proud of. I’m pleased you acknowledged the fair minded and complimentary assessment of the Everton team by us brittle legged Arsenal supporters. Keep up the good work.

Peaches,
    It gets worse. The poor fellow is in Tasmania!!
    A blog minutes silence at 11:00?

Rasp,
    Save it. Poor pland will not understand half of those long words.

12. Red Arse says:

Morning Guys,

Nice one again BR. 🙂

Rasp, I thought I had written that honey covered sarcastic retort to the intellectual giant from Everton. I’m jealous! 🙂

For a minute I thought you were going to say; Pland, I feel so miserable without you, it’s almost like having you on here.” 🙂

Morning RA,

Our Everton visitor is so intellectually challenged that he can’t even spell ‘plank’

14. afc says:

arsenal will win today 2-0..3-0, I think arsenal must play to some sort of a high standard to win tho, if we play as shabby as we have been we will not win this one..a draw will not do unless Chelsea lose or draw to.

15. JonJon says:

i’ll be happy with a draw..

16. barumgooner says:

Good post once again. I agree that the toffees are going to be a tough test for us today and with a weakened defence we are going to need flappy to be at his best imo. But saying that the little Russian seems to be getting back on track lately and he might just cause some problems of his own. My bet… lots of goals 4-2 to the Arsenal with a hatrick for AA.

17. JonJon – how are you honey 🙂

Hi JonJon,

Yes I agree. I knew in my water that we were gonna lose to the Toon. I foolishly took my son and he has hardly ever seen Arsenal win – I’m leaving him at home in the future 🙂

I think the old saying about there being no easy games in the Premiership is more true than ever this season.

Rasp,
    Nice Dad!! “Arsenal lost, and its all your fault. Go to your romm”. There is a post in there somewhere. I will think.

20. Watching the manks and the bindippers yesterday we’re certainly not the only team guilty of inconsistencies.

I was thinking about who we need to have a great game today to put fear in the scum but they’re so flaky anyway just AA to score a hat-trck would be enough 😛

Hi Micky,

If I’ve got to wear peaches knickers on my head, my son can sacrifice going to games to help us win 😆

On today’s game. I feel that Arshavin is putting in the effort, but is 10% short (no pun) in terms of his shooting, let’s hope today he finds the target. I will be sick if we give away silly free kicks near the box and allow cahill any headers.

Peaches,
    I don’t actually think that Utd are inconsistent, it is that without one or two first choicers, they are a much weaker squad. Without Scholes and Giggs, they really lack something in midfield.

Thinking of THAT Song cross into MC, who would people consider to be our best crossers of the ball from both the left side and the right?
    Scary eh.

Rasp,
    Delighted you have not forgotten about my little suggestion. Just remember, there is absoltely nothing immature about wearing Peaches’ knickers on your head. These things are important.

Easy Micky … none of them 😦

Rasp,
    Told you it was a very scary question.

Gnarley,
    If you are not still sulking over some weird sport, then good luck to your man Webber.

28. SharkeySure says:

“Big Raddy says:
    November 14, 2010 at 9:12 am
    LOL Kelsey. If I find him/her I will tell them”

Lol.

Morning all.

Good post Raddy, and like Mickey I also like your ‘4-4-2 with a bit of camouflage’ !!!

29. JonJon says:

hey legs 😉

hey rasp, hows it going mate? its been a while..
    the PL is amazing this year..anyone can beat anyone.. i think if we draw all our away games and win all our home we would still finish second cos everyone else besides chelsea cant string wins together..;)

a win would be awesome seeing as though the mancs have been proper shit over the last few weeks so its time to take advantage of their shitness and pull away with chelsea..

but everton are good a draw would be acceptable i suppose..

I’m not too bad thanks JonJon, hope things are good with you.

Unfortunately the mancs have been drawing games they should have lost and we’ve been losing games we should have won. There is still everything to play for. I don’t think the chavs have been that good but still grind out the results.

I don’t want to live through another season when we’ve been presented with chances to gain/rise above our main rivals and failed to take the chance. Today we can leapfrog the mancs – and so we should.

31. SharkeySure says:

Bendy not even on the bench today..?? Wow…I find that to be an odd call.

Just how fit and ready can RVP be so that he’s preferred to Bendy..?? Not for me.

I think Chary or Gnarley made the point this week asking why players aren’t getting minutes in the reserves to sharpen up. 45mins there would surely do RVP no harm.

It was only an observation rasp, as i presume you wrote the reply.I shall keep my mouth shout in future.tut.tut,tut,

kelsey,

Your points were valid and no offence was taken. As you know, I’m not into censorship. No-one else will understand what we’re talking about, so I shan’t continue on here.

This is what I don’t understand about Wenger. Song is having a nightmare of a game and he will get a card/cards. He should be subbed before he loses us the game.

Lets come out of the blocks at top thrust and kill them off.

36. Carlito11 says:

Was bendy dropped because he was using “his personal brand of self confindence” in the meeja again?

37. SharkeySure says:

I think Songs doing Ok, he’s held up a lot of Everton’s play. Yeah sometimes its been by fair means or foul, but thats what other teams do to us.

Good first half from the boys, and we have Everton exactly where we want them. Tired and 1-0 down, with a real need to push forward and leave lots of gaps.

38. kelsey – are you able to write a match report for the site?

I was just about to moan about Denilson crabbing there.
    Wrong 2-0

” personal brand of self confindence” 🙂

Pland,
    Where are you?

It feels like there could be a red card in this game, I hope it isn’t Cesc with totnum next weekend.

Bit rough for you lot are we pland? giggle

Fab Save. Tops

45. Carlito11 says:

It’s not mine unfortunately micky! Got it from a column in yesterdays grauniad!

46. Carlito11 says:

Looking forward to seeing this one on motd tonight- been eventful from what I’ve read…

47. tommystout says:

Rasp – widget my man…. LOL 1 pt up on last season – all is good 🙂

48. SharkeySure says:

Cracking game Carlito.

The Everton crowd were really getting on Webbs back and fair play to him he stood strong and didn’t get influenced by them.

The attempts by the Everton players to get Arse players booked were quite scandalous at times. Fabregas gets booked after Distin stamps on Fabs foot, takes a step then throws himself into a forward roll with a twist. They seemed to really target Song for this treatment but made it all a bit too obvious.

Special mention for Big Johann. Every high ball that was pumped in to the box, I sat comfy in the knowledge that the big fella was gonna deal with it comfortably. Well done DJ.

Carlito,
    The bragging rights are yours, just like that long word you used the other day. The Greek Girly blind optimism thingy!!

50. Rasp – forget what I said about the widget 😉

Fabianski again did a great job for us, definitely my man of the match. I look forward to seeing his face in the banner 😛

51. SharkeySure says:

Carlito – I’m sure the game would have been on http://www.atdhe.net. Did you not check..?? Or scroll through the LG posts just before or after kick off, cos there’s usually a few links there.

Personally I find MOTD highlights pretty pointless. They squeeze 95mins of footie into 6mins. Might as well only show the goals and shots. They also seem pretty selective about the foul play that they show as well

52. SharkeySure says:

“Greek Girly blind optimism thingy” – Lol

Three top top saves from Fabianski, who I will start referring to by his first name if this carries on.

Great three points. So many appear to have grown some of those sharp pointy teeth since last season. We developed some real Northerner style steel.

Lucasz-ade, has earned us 5 extra points in the last two games by my reckoning. The term ‘Flapianski’ is officially banned form AA 😛

Right, cabin fever here. Out for a brisk walk.

Its Luca from now on for me.
    Air, we need air.

Fabi-handski?

Come on the Mackems……

58. SharkeySure says:

Its Wookie for me !!

59. Carlito11 says:

Nice one you lot 🙂 S-S I’ve been out with the missus checking the web every 5 or 10 mins! 😉

60. SharkeySure says:

Okidoke Carlito. My missus took our three kids and her mum (here on holiday) to a friends. I stayed home. 😉

I did my family bit this morning taking my son to football. That was also a cracking game !!

My missus knows the score. We went to the River Plate stadium for a match on our honeymoon in 98, and our first anniversary trip to Barcelona ‘coincided’ with our CL fixture there in 99.

Sorry about that peaches,the post will be done with a slight slant.

62. gunnern5 says:

Great win today and now Sunderland are doing the busy on Chelsea 0-1 at half time.

Kelsey. I bow down to your positivity and football knowledge!

I only saw the second half and we did very well. A couple of points.

oooooohhhh what a goal scored by Ounoha(?) and the man is a CB – brilliant

where was I? Oh yes, our game. I thought Chamakh had his worst game so far, his passing and finishing were awful. Sure, he put an enormous amount into the game in terms of energy, but he has set himself such high standards I expect better. The open goal miss could have cost us dearly.

And Arshavin. Did he play? I saw his name on the teamsheet but cannot recall him touching the ball, maybe he is saving himself for Spurs.

Both Fab’s were very good, Cesc gave evrything to the team, a real leaders performance. And he is not scared of a tackle is he? 🙂

As to Fab2 , his shot stopping is excellent, if he can improve his keeping at set pieces we will have a top GK on at last.

For the second game running he is my MoM

64. gunnern5 says:

BR: Arshavin had a really good 1st half with several first time shots and he showed a lot of energy. In my house we were remarking that it was good to see him getting his game back however he did fade in the 2nd half and that’s all you saw.

I wonder if the pace of the PL is simply too fast for him as he certainly runs out of energy.

65. gunnern5 says:

Any idea’s as to why Bendtner was not even on the bench today? Was AW teaching him a lesson on being a team man perhaps?

66. gunnern5 says:

52nd minute Chelsea 0 Sunderland 2

Nearly 3-0. I was disappointed when we drew with Sunderland, but apart from being thrashed by Newcastle they look a fine side.

I think so G5, though with Theo and RvP on the bench, there was little reason to have Bendtner there and he is below RvP in the pecking order.

It is difficult for Nik. I admire him for his confidence and his belief in his talent. Plus the Danish press are all over him – every time he is interviewed he is asked why he isn’t in AW’s first team. On balance he may well be better off at another club but he has made it very clear that he is a big AFC fan and wants to play for them. That said, it is stupid to make such statements to the press and he can expect little else than the ire of his manager

68. gunnern5 says:

BR: Maybe that he moves on in January, hopefully along with Alumnia

69. gunnern5 says:

0-3 to Sunderland — it’s a lovely day today!!!!

Can’t see it G5 – neither of them. AW has said he intends to keep the squad together until season’s end.

What a brilliant weekend for Arsenal. If AV hadn’t rolled over in the last 10 mins, it would have been perfect.

In the words of XTC “I’m stupidly happy”

71. Carlito11 says:

With that result at the chav’s it’s been a great day at the office!

According to le boss i quote “Bendtner has a medical problem”

Sharkey: “We went to the River Plate stadium for a match on our honeymoon in 98, and our first anniversary trip to Barcelona ‘coincided’ with our CL fixture there in 99”. Top Gunner!!

Does anyone know why we didn’t play in red and white today.i would appreciate a quick answer.

So, next weekend, Arsenal home to Tottingham, while Chelsea away to Brum. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? I am believing big styley.

Kelsey,
    Technically, its not that our home colours clash with Evertons, its that our shades do. It actually goes back to Black and White TV. In the first case, both teams would have dark tops and white shorts. With us in our away kit, the reverse is true. Bizarre in this day and age, eh.

Four minutes not quick enough, or are you on your mobile in the gents at your local pub quizz?

Excellent day for all us Gooners.
    What’s giving me a warm feeling inside is that we are not playing anything like our best yet. When we hit the groove we’ll steamroller a lot of teams.

Song was MoTM for me today. I understand the sentimental feeling for Fab2 (and he did make some good saves) but he got exposed from a cross at one point and we nearly conceded. His shot-stopping is excellent. I still worry about his technique and stature when it comes to high balls into the box.

79. gunnern5 says:

Good point on Fab2 Rocky. But I’ve yet to see an Arsenal goalkeeper who excelled in every game and every aspect of his game and I’ve watched them all going back to Swindon.

IMO our best keeper was Jack Kelsey but he was never subjected to the floating balloons that we now call footballs.

You see, I believe that Seaman (most fans favourite) was made to appear better by an incredible defense. I recognize that this will not be a popular opinion but it does not infer that I think he was a poor keeper; simply that he had superior protection. Fab2 has yet to round out his game, but he is a fantastic shot stopper.

80. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I don’t care how The Arsenal get their 3 points, as long as they get them. And that was a gutsy way to do it.

…….& just turning my attention to the chavs, although normally I wouldn’t waste my time on poop, isn’t it great that when they finally get a couple of key injuries, they are reduced to an absolute rabble. Take out the core group of dads army in their squad, plus Uncle Fester Wilkins & the “F” in their “fancy” play gets replaced by a capital “N” 😆

COYRRR

81. 26may1989 says:

Great day. As Wenger said, a very focused performance. Agree that Fabianski had another excellent performance but it was another player I and many others have slagged off in the past who stood out: Johan Djourou was solid, calm and efficient today, paired up well with Squillaci. I may yet have to change my tune.

Odd comment from Big Raddy re Arshavin I thought. The little one appears to be getting back to form. He’s not there yet, but he had two good first half shots and laid the ball on for Sagna when he scored. As for Chamakh, he may not have been in the match-winning form he showed against Wolves but he did alright for me, and was part of the move that led to Fabregas’s goal.

And Chelsea – what a fantastic result. They looked appalling today, it looked like they got away with it at 3-0. And I was so pleased to see Ashley Cole get the assist for the third, couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

The two Manc clubs scraping draws also made for a good weekend.

But Spurs up next – we have to exploit their rubbish defence. It might be an epic next weekend……

82. 26may1989 says:

Sorry, I also meant to say I thought Denilson was excellent when he came on.

83. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Ha Ha!! 26th, Big Johan should get at least an 8 in the ratings 😆

Yep, Denilson was good too. But my constant championing of Big YoYo20 is proving to be with some substance me thinks.

“He’s Big, He’s Black, He crashes through the pack, Big Johan Big Johan”

I think he may have just risen to number 3 CB @ The Arsenal 😀

Morning,

Just a couple of quick thoughts before today’s post.

In Fabianski we have possibly one of the best shot stoppers in the Prem. His lack of physical presence for aerial balls is, and always will be, his achilles heal.

JD had a very good game and it appears Raddy’s belief in him was well placed. I am beginning to think that our best CB pairing is squidgy and any of the others. Yesterday he was always there to tidy up and cover for JD, he is a defender’s defender.

85. Morning Happy Gooners