Little and Large …….The Perfect Striker Partnership

Written by Neamman

Wright, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Shearer, Drogba, Cole, Owen, Ronaldo, Rooney  ..   all players who you would expect to score more than 20 goals a season when in their prime. We haven’t had a player like that since Henry left.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Chamakh and Van Persie, but a look at their history tells us we will never see more than 15 goals a season from them at best. That’s not a criticism as they both bring so much more to the team but they are superb support strikers and not the main man. They are a Wiltord to Henry, a Skolshar to a Van Nistelrooy, a Sheringham to a Cole. We have not yet found a striker who truly puts fear into our opponents defense.

All is not lost however, I actually think we have them on our books in the shape of NicBendtner and Theo Walcott. Big Nic, in his breakout season two years ago, scored what..14 goals.. but he has struggled for fitness since. In an injury plague season last year he scored 9 goals and started off this year with two goals in his first two appearances.

Theo, after a restful summer, also has been hot knocking in 7 goals plus he has hit the post a couple of times in his last few games.

They are both young and are perhaps a year behind where they should be because of their injury plagued last 18 months. If our fitness gurus can keep them on the field I am quite confident we can see a minimum of 20 goals each from our Little and Large. It may mean a switch back to 4-4-2 so that they can play up front together, one small and lightening fast, one big and strong. I truly believe that they would terrorize most defences and when backed with Chamakh or RVP we will see Arsenal dominate the scoring charts yet again.

Before I close I cannot help but ask… why are players so prone to injuries? If it’s the boots not protecting metatarsals, surely some company can design a better boot??? To be fair it is not just us, more and more clubs are suffering from injuries it seems.

Football clubs are investing a lot of money in their stars and we need to see them on the pitch much more than we do.

Just imagine if Nic and Theo had played all of last season and the beginning of this… I cannot believe we wouldn’t have stuck a few more goals past the Toon and West Ham!!! So lets hope in the FA Cup and the League Cup we start to see our Little and Large starting together and building an understanding that should lead them to dominate the scoring charts for the next 6 or 7 years.

66 Responses to Little and Large …….The Perfect Striker Partnership

1. dilly says:

I would like to go 442 aswell, mainly at home.

2. goonermichael says:

Am I too early?

We have the personnel to score a ton of goals and I do not care where they come from. Last year TV came up with a few and this year it is our midfield which is contributing.

I can see Chamakh getting close to 20 this season and if Theo gets say 15, Nik, 10 and RvP the same, with another 25 spread throughout the team we will be well served for goals.

GM. I am sure you are…..

5. Saad says:

If B 52 and Theo are a year behind bcz of injuries then what about RVP. He is a STRIKER. He can at minimum score 25 goals a season. And Chamak too can score 20. We need to give him some time.

6. goonermichael says:

Hi BR how are you?

7. Davi says:

RVP is better as a striker. Whenever he had a run of games in that position, particularly when playing ahead of adebayor, he would easily score more than 1 in 2. In the 07/08 season, after he got injured, adebayor took over that role and scored 30 goals, which meant that HE was moved forward and rvp played behind him when he returned. We were never as effective that way.
    Anyway, rvp will probably never become that sort of striker now. There’s no point anyway because of his injuries.
    I could imagine theo being awesome playing ahead of rvp, chamakh or bendtner, and that is certainly a better position for vela who would be just as good with a run of games there.
    Our trouble wiht playing 2 central strikers is that it hurts our midfield. We dont have wide players who are willing to defend, apart from nasri and rosicky (but arshavin is presumably still favourite at LM) and fabregas’ lack of defensive strength puts a lot of pressure on his CM partner. Flamini could handle that, but I’m not convinced song could do that role on his own tbh. He has a better all-round game than flam, but for that particular role, matthieu is a lot better.

8. 26may1989 says:

For me, it’s pretty simple: whether we stick to 4-2-3-1 (or variants) or go back to 4-4-2, Chamakh is better than Bendtner and van Persie is better up front than Walcott.

I like both Bendtner and Walcott, much of the criticism each has had over the years has been ill-informed. But NB’s first touch remains a weakness. Chamakh is also more efficient in finishing. I like NB as a squad player but we can see he may need to move on at some point.

I’ve more optimism that Walcott will continue his recent improvement – his goal against Shaktar was especially impressive, though comparisons with Henry seem overdone.

9. 26may1989 says:

And thanks for the post Neamman.

10. goonerwife says:

I love it when people make these sweeping statement about other peoeples lives and possible abilities in the future. I think Chamakh has already scored 8 goals this season.

I guess im just the sort of person that beleives we can all do better, even if its just a little bit. and i would never be so arrogant as to assume anyones potential especially since we have all seen late bloomers.

I for one hope that you are wrong and i hope that van persie and Chamakh proove you wrong.

11. dandan says:

Interesting post, For me we could easily let bendy go this January, Theo will thrive on game time, Chamakh needs to be as direct with his foot skills as he is with his undoubted prowess in the air and we will have a fine CF, RVP is and I guess will remain injury prone far to brave for his own good. Vela could also leave and allow JET direct access to the PL bench. His pace and power only needs the addition of experience and confidence to terrorise defenders. so we are well served for goalscorers. any purchases should concentrate on a commanding defender who is also a natural leader and organiser for without doubt IMHO there our weakness lies.

12. Red Arse says:

Nice article Neamman. 🙂

I would love to believe you are right about Bendy, but he seems to wear lead diving boots when von trapping the ball, and has the same turning circle as the Queen Mary! 🙂

If Arsenal can learn to play to Theo’s strengths, Cesc/Jack giving him balls to run onto, he could mature into a good goal scorer, but neither of them would get into the Manure/Chavs/Citeh teams. 😦

13. Red Arse says:

Goonerwife, I could not fault your argument. 🙂

What I am less clear about is who your comment is aimed at. Neamman’s article has come out strongly in support of our forwards.

I am less sure, but I posted after you, thank goodness! 🙂

Actually, nothing expressed by any fan can be said to be right or wrong per se, it is simply stating an opinion or a conjecture, which everyone is entitled to. N’est-ce pas?

Indeed interesting post Neammann,though I agree more or less with everything dandan has said.

Players like Henry come along once in a decade,if one is lucky and with Drogba maybe with one year left at the very top the only striker who may develop into a prolific striker is Carroll (if he can sort out his private life).

These last two seasons we have scored literally from all over the park, and I don’t think our system is derived to concentrate on all our goals coming from a so called striker.in fact to me that is a plus.

We have already hit the woowork 11 times this season
    and Chamakh in his first season could easily get near the 20 mark.
    Bedntner has a 1 in 4games ratio of goals in the league so if he actually plays one can’t expect a high return.

Arshavin,Walcott,Nasri and Fabregas could easily manage ten goals a piece with the rub of the green and it would be nice to ee the old rosicky bang a few goals again.

We have so many options and if we were a bit more clinical and had the rub of the green I think we can maintain a very high average of goals scored.

15. gunnern5 says:

RA: I wish that Bendtner did have lead boots as taking them off would give him an opportunity to improve. Unfortunately he has lead feet and a dreadful first touch.

If his ability were half as big as his ego he would have potential.

He is nothing more than a squad player, which is probably more than his ego will tolerate

16. Red Arse says:

I’m afraid I agree Neamman, but I genuinely wish he scores 25 goals this season and puts two fingers up to me! 🙂

His self esteem makes it hard for some of us to take him seriously. If he threatens the manager, the sooner he takes the high road the better.

17. Red Arse says:

Sorry, GN5, I was referring to your comment. My brain is not working. Just as well I have to go out for a while! 🙂

No comment on Nik, I am biased but I agree with the post and not with some of the comments.

Kelsey. A TH14 comes along once in a lifetime not ever ten years. He is the best striker to have grace the PL (IMO), it was a privilege to watch the man play.

BR,

I did add, if one is lucky 😉

What a boring first half at Villa.United really are quite poor.misplaced passes all over the pitch

It’s amazing and an indicator of how lucky they are that they remain unbeaten.

Come on Villa

21. gunnern5 says:

Villa just hit the bar and then the post in a two minute period………and the luck goes on and on and on…..

22. gunnern5 says:

Penalty for Villa…

23. gunnern5 says:

Ashley Young scores 1-0 Villa

24. gunnern5 says:

2-0 Villa …maybe their luck has finally run out… 14 minutes left

25. gunnern5 says:

OH dear 2-1 10 mins left

As awful as the first half was, this second half is exciting.

If MU scrape a draw it would be a terrible injustice – AV have been very good

27. gunnern5 says:

Shit 2-2

Wish you hadn’t said that Raddy 😦

29. goonerwife says:

My comment was aimed at the article

“Don’t get me wrong, I like Chamakh and Van Persie, but a look at their history tells us we will never see more than 15 goals a season from them at best”

Never? How do you know?

Other than that i like the article.

30. gunnern5 says:

Darn they bend but they don’t break…..

There is no justice in football

32. 26may1989 says:

Have just finished watching Preston v Hull from last night (with liberal use of the fastforward button). Great debut performance for Hull by Vito Mannone, he made a couple of outstanding saves and a few others that were very good. He looked commanding throughout and kept a clean sheet in a 2-0 win. Ex-Gooner Jay Simpson didn’t look as convincing though.

33. Rohan says:

Didnt the Pers score 20 goals a couple seasons ago? A fit RvP imo can easily score 25 if he plays the whole season.

Rohan That is a big IF

Only 35,000 at WHL today. Why build a new ground when they are 10k short of a full house in November?

Big club ?????

36. SharkeySure says:

Afternoon all

I like Bendy a lot, but I do feel thatheflatters to deceive. Away to Donetsk he was truly awful. The team did not play well that night, but he had enough poor touches to make it ckear it wasnlt just a lack of good service.

Who knows how his career will pan out, but for me he has some wonderful moments in games but doesn’t often seem to terrorise defences for sustained periods.

I guess thats how some out and out goalscorers do perform (Inzaghi, J-P Papin in the old days), but he just doesn’t seem like one of them.

Like others here, I fear his long term future may lie away from Arsenal.

Hows he play for the national team Radders, I only saw him in the WC and he was unfit, so har to judge. Does he run the show and dominate games in a Danish shirt…???

Brief afternoon all,
    Thanks for the post Neamman.
    Some nice reults for us. Shame about Spurs.

BR, they are now looking at moving to the Olympic Stadium. It must retain its running track, so there would be zero atmosphere. Hope they would not get it as a freebie like City did.

38. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I doubt they really want the Olympic. It is an attempt to put pressure on their local Council, to allow their development.

Good business or scummy underhand tactics?

Hi RA,
    A free stadium must be tempting. Do they have a new site in mind near WHL?

I remember there being talk in the late 80’s of us ground sharing on the site of the old Alexandra Palace. Yuk.

Can’t stay as I have a really horrible connection. Branches on the line. Seriously. Will have to say goodnight.

A little like AFC suggesting they were going to move to Kings Cross which is outside Islington (or to Wembley). Good negotiating and much as I hate to say it, the Spurs Board have done a fine job .

SS. He does not dominate but has an excellent scoring record for a man who has been played when clearly unfit.

And the Nik stats do not tell the truth. If assessed on minutes on the pitch rather than what are called appearances (which include his sub apps) his goal scoring is as good as any player at the club. For Denmark he plays all over the front line and often in the Bergkamp role – he has fine vision. But I have to admit his control can sometimes be clumsy!

Goodnight.

The Olympic stadium is slap bang in WHU country, surely they will move from the Boleyn?

Hi BR,
    Last thought. Could they really afford to build in these turbulent financial times. Expensive money. Oh, and would they fill it in order to finance the debt. Ha ha.
    Really off.

Boelyn Ground. Not many people know that. Catch you all for the match. Good luck with the runner from the party! Leave them with one of your “100 greatest Arsenal moments” videos.
    Oh God, this is horrible. Bye.

I assumed it was named after Ann Boleyn Henry 8 th’s second wife!! Shows that a history based education is not always informative

48. How atrange is football? Last week Liverpool looked amazing against Chelsea and today they’re beaten 2-0 by Stoke???????????????????

Funny though 🙂

50. SharkeySure says:

Cheers Radders.

To be fair, lots of great players don’t dominate games with Cesc Fabregas being the no.1 exception in my mind.

Henry (Thierry not Karl..lol) was a master at winning games but would also be quiet for long spells. Ronaldo in his 40 goal season would often do little other than score once or twice, sometimes even thrice*. Drogba always poses a threat even in games in which he is far from dominant or on song.

You’re right to point to Niks stats, cos goals are goals and they are entered into record books, just as that – ie an indisputable matter of record. How good the goals were, or how good the player is, is all subjective.

In conclusion, I guess I don’t need Nik B to dominate games for long spells, just to keep scoring goals like his magnificent headers, or his cooler finishes, and some of his great assists (ie his 50 yd pass at the Boleyn (!!) grd to AdeNuff a couple of years ago).

*It was a Man U fan who confirmed that about Ronaldo, that was just his opinion though.

51. 26may1989 says:

Micky, that Ally Pally groundshare thing was real, it even ended up in the High Court, I think when the two clubs challenged Haringey Council’s reluctance to play ball. But I think it was in the 1970s rather than the 1980s.

Assuming Spurs do redevelop WHL, there is always the question of where they would go during the building work. Ashburton perhaps??! To make up for us playing at WHL in WW2?

52. 26may1989 says:

Just seen that Jay Bothroyd, Chris Smalling, Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson have been named in the England squad, along with Walcott, LJ and Gibbs – excellent, that’s what Capello should have been doing before now, but better late than never. Perhaps we might start to see England actually developing some talents for the future rather than dead-ends like Kevin Davies.

53. Rohan says:

Bendtner’s still finding his way to full fitness. The Shakhtar game was when rustiness got to him in my honest opinion.
    Over his last 20 games for the Arsenal he’s been absolutely phenomenal. FACT!

I also don’t really buy the recent story of him whinging especially when just a week ago, there was a article where he clearly said he welcomes the competition.
    Yes, he’s a bit of a cocky bastard, but for a young striker, he’s accomplished more than most. He’ll make it big- A large part of it depends on van Persie’s long term fitness, Vela’s (lack of) progress and Theo’s continued evolution. I expect him to stay with us for atleast 2 more seasons and if he doesn’t make it then………

54. gunnern5 says:

On the subject of Bendtner – for the record his goal scoring stats are…

Arsenal 87 games 21 goals = 1 every 4.14 games.
    On Loan 42 games 11 goals = 1 every 3.8 games.
    Internationals 35 games 12 goals = 1 every
    2.9 games.
    Overall a goal every 3.7 games which would equate to 10/11 goals a season.

That’s what lead feet do to you.

55. Rohan says:

I bet they’ll be a lot better if you take them for the last year or so. He’s still a very very young player.

56. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Neamman

Didn’t Cesc score 20 goals last season?

I tend to agree with dandan, we could easily let NB52 go this January, but not to an English club 😉

57. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Infact IMO, Arsene Wenger should insist The Club continues to turn over marksmen until the mix = champions. Players these days rarely show total loyalty to their club (more to the income their agent reckons they can get) so The Arsenal should put the blow torch up the players. You continue to get injured/not perform, then you are trade bait.

Morning all.

Who ever is doing the post this morning kindly take note that we have the best away record currently and Everton have only scored 8 goals at home, the third lowest.have faith we can win this, “if we turn up”.I shall be back on after the game.Expect Denilson to start and AA loves the liverpool area and is coming back to form, so no more hitting the woodwork endlessly just bang it in the net,.

G5. Break down NB’s appearances into those where he played more than 75 mins and you will see a difference.

Given that our strikers have all (except Chamakh) had long term injuries over the past few seasons it is prudent to keep them all.

LOL Kelsey. If I find him/her I will tell them

61. Morning

Theres a NEW POST

62. I’m not sure about the little and large combination…maybe in years gone by but in todays game where most teams opt for one striker I think its becoming rarer.

Have a read of: The Championship, the ‘wonder kids’ shop window! http://wp.me/p19VFF-3q it looks at how players like Walcott are flying in the premiership despite being brought through by championship clubs

63. […] Little and Large …….The Perfect Striker Partnership […]

64. boob job says:

This laser treatment has been proven to significantly reduce scarring and ensure that patients achieve the look they
    desire on a far faster timescale after their breast enhancement has been completed.
    I mean, when you are a D-cup, even if they are real, people question you,” shee said. Don’t rmove the Steri Strips applied because it aids the skin healing; simply dab a clean and damp clooth on top of it.