Emirates Stadium: A Soulless Bowl or Waiting on History?

I bet all you lucky souls out there with tickets in the Orange and Green quadrants can’t wait. Yes, YES, YES, YES no longer are we the Orange, Green, Blue and Yellow Quadrants, its back, we are the North Bank, we are the Clock End …….. um …. we are the North Bank/Clock End Emirates? Arsenal? Highbury?

Does the chant stay the same, will we be hearing the blissful:

WE ARE THE NORTH BANK
WE ARE THE NORTH BANK
WE ARE THE NORTH BANK HIGHBURY

WE ARE THE CLOCK END
WE ARE THE CLOCK END
WE ARE THE CLOCK END HIGHBURY

Are the words staying the same or will they be changed?

First off, I sadly never got to see the mighty Arsenal play at Highbury and its honestly a thing that saddens me. So, for a change in this post instead of rabbling on like I normally do and thinking I’m right about everything, I am going to ask the regulars here, and those of you who pop in, who have been to Highbury regularly and now the Emirates some questions.

Has the Emirates got a raw deal?

I know its a structure made from cement and steel etc. but to me stadiums are living, tactile, almost breathing objects. They echo of battles lost and won, of players who have taken to the field as warriors. Highbury is packed to the gills with this history: Herbert Chapman leading out his groundbreaking Arsenal side through the marble hallways. Liam Brady curling in another screamer with his left foot. Ian Wright scoring goal after goal with a smirk on his face. The battles and hidings we gave them lot down the road. Bergkamp and Henry leaving the opposition looking like idiots (not that it was confined to Highbury). Adams scoring THAT goal to confirm the title, celebrating the Invincibles. Looking up at the Clock for it to hit 3.

There is a certain sense of attachment to Highbury, I have it and have only ever walked past it as a block of flats.

But is it time to move on?

Of course I don’t mean to forget. How could you forget? It would be sinful to forget, but when is it time to stop longing and whining that we are no longer at “home” at Highbury?

The Emirates or rightly Ashburton Grove has done nothing wrong. It is a wonderful stadium, and aside from Wembley I can’t think of a ground in England that comes remotely close to it. It is something to be very proud of. Its only fault is that it has seen us through a tough time (if constantly finishing in the top 4 and getting to the latter stages of the Champions League are indeed tough times) and for that it is almost at times treated with disdain.

There haven’t been too many epic games there, or a single trophy held aloft but we’ve been there for FOUR seasons, not 93 years. They will come, give history a chance to be written.

I was reading an interview with Johnny Lydon in FourFourTwo this month and he reckons the sense of community has gone from the club since the move to the Emirates. Again, that is a question for those of you in the know? Although common sense would tell me that the Clock Enders and North Bankers no longer sit together, have been split and people are getting accustomed to new faces.

But maybe instead of moaning at the club, its time for the fans to do something about it? Personally, I’m a firm believer in “ask not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club” The powers that be have given us back The Clock, The North Bank, and have added as much Arsenal features as possible. Why not try to keep the chants going this season – yes, even if we have to sit down. Why not get to know the person sitting next to you? Maybe its just my inability to keep my mouth shut but I met the most fascinating Gooner at the Bolton match two seasons ago who told me of his trips abroad donkeys years ago to see Arsenal play. The club can only do so much, at times we have to help ourselves.

I had planned on going to a home and away match this season. I now think an away match and two home matches are in order – I’ve just got to sit in the North Bank and Clock End.

Whether I like it, you like it, or anyone else likes it or not our home is now the Emirates. Its great to look back on Highbury and it’ll be always here in our hearts (maybe more so yours than mine) but if we keep looking back over our shoulder, we won’t know our way forward, and this club is moving forward.

We may have moved ground, but aren’t we still The Arsenal?

147 Responses to Emirates Stadium: A Soulless Bowl or Waiting on History?

1. Gooner in Belfast says:

The Emirates need to see a throphy being lifted high above Fab’s head and a lap of honour. This will kick start the emirates era. I went to Highbury, but now live in Belfast and the first time I saw the emirates (on my 40th b’day) it took my breath away. it is and will be a great home of football.

Morning all,

Great read Irish,

I think the same approach was taken to the stadium as the squad = get the basic structure in place and develop/improve as and when it can be afforded.

We’ve won the Emirates Cup there 😳

I agree G in B, if this is Cesc’s last season, he would love to say goodbye with a trophy to his name.

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to go almost every game since we moved to the Emirates and there have been some very emotional and exciting moments. The crowd is always up for the big games against our greatest rivals and the noise that can be created in that stadium is terrific.

The problem of needing to stand when celebrating or when expectating something to happen is not going to go away. Who can forget the site of the North Bank rising en masse with expectation? Wonderful, wonderful site.

The problem for me is that there are too many supporters who feel uncomfortable about joining in for whatever reason – they’re almost embarrassed and thats rather sad.

5. London says:

Morning all

Good read Irish

We will always be the Arsenal.

I hope when the season starts people start singing the old songs after all we are only a hundred yards from Highbury.

6. tommystout says:

great post IG
    ive only been to the emirates once but i was in awe when i took my seat, much as i was in awe the first time i stepped out to find my seat at highbury – god what a bowling green of a carpet that pitch was.
    we had make the move to the emirates and its purely the foundations for greater things to come. we will get those trophies soon i am sure – i have never wenger bashed, he and the club are just doing everything the right way – the gentlemen way – i’m a proud gooner for sure.
    we’re north bank highbury should not change but should resonate as it always did at highbury, that way highbury lives on, arsenalisation rolls on. it is like we are adding the bricks and mortar to those foundations -the decor will be trophies.

7. John says:

Highbury will always be special to me as that’s where i fell in love with this football club. I recall standing in the schoolboys enclosure against Wolves in the 70’s. A fella called Hazell got sent off and Supermac scored within minutes at the Northbank end. An FA cup semi-final against Liverpool, midweek and cold and we were so packed into the Northbank i simply don’t know how a Hillsborough didn’t happen to us several years before it happened to them. It was when the FA cup mattered and it remains my but perhaps only my favourite competition. The memories are simply too deep for the modern corporate machine to erase.

As for the Emirates, well i am blown away each time i see her. Pride of the highest order but our sentiments are formed as kids and it the kids who are falling in love with Arsenal now who will generate the true passion of the Emirates because they don’t feed off the trophies they feed off the experience. Undoubtedly
    trophies will bring the Emirates home and none more so than our first European Cup and i have no doubt that day will come.

8. tommystout says:

we need cheerleaders in each quadrent – i’m not talking pretty girls with pom-poms, we need core singing areas and then the fools who are too embarrassed to sing will have no option if everyone is doing the deed.

9. London says:

Too true Peaches and as you say very sad.

Welcome John, excellent comment.

11. tommystout says:

i hope that italian blog thats been picked up this morning on various newsnow feeds is the real deal.
    this ajax raid would be awesome but somehow i feel i must be fantasising again!

12. The overground train line that passes between Finsbury Park and Highbury and Islington sees the Emirates Stadium rise majestically in front of your eyes – its beautiful, it fills me with immense pride everytime I see it.

13. John says:

Thanks Rasp

14. dandan says:

Morning all…. Tommy and whats wrong with pretty girls with pom poms. surely Peaches and Irish could volunteer

15. London says:

Morning John

Re Highbury, this is so true:

“I simply don’t know how a Hillsborough didn’t happen to us several years before it happened to them.”

16. tommystout says:

Henri Lansbury
    Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
    Havard Nordtveit

17. tommystout says:

hmmmmmmm

18. tommystout says:

its not letting me copy and paste the squad for austria….

19. forza forza says:

definitely a souless bowl.

20. tommystout says:

almunia is there, denilson isnt, neither is eduardo

tommy,

There are two chances of the Italian rumour being true …. slim and nothin’ – and slim’s left town 😦

Morning ff,

How many games have you attended at the Emirates?

23. tommystout says:

oh thanks rasp for just shattering my fantasy! 😦

24. John says:

Hi London

For sure. If i recall correctly there were 62,000 at the liverpool game. Thye closed the turnstiles at the Arsenal Station side leaving a couple of thousand of us caught in the small pen between the main gates on the road and the turnstiles. My feet never touched the ground and we couldn’t go back or forward. Eventually they closed the road gates and opened the turnstiles because they simply had little choice. What followed was just an incredible atmosphere – it was when we knew how to sing.

25. clockendrider says:

I’ve been going to The Arsenal since 72. First with my dad and uncles then on my own with my mates. Of course that means that I grew up in that famous old ground. Moved from the North Bank to the Clock End as soon as I could look after myself and have many very happy memories as a result.
    But lets be honest, The Old Lady was tired an in need of some major changes and thanks to the army of Nimbys who moved into the area, forced the natives out and then apparently woke up one morning to find a football ground at the bottom of their gardens, we needed to find a new home.
    The Emirates is and will be a fantastic new home. Now we have a CEO who understands that the atmosphere comes from the fans and has removed the ridiculous directives sent out to the stewards I think we can start to settle in and make the stadium a real fortress again. I’m fortunate enough still to be able to go to games with my dad and now bring my son too. That’s the true story of what it’s all about. The wheel turning, the generational transfer of our love, the continuation of the bloodline of the club and the clubs DNA coursing through us. My son will never know highbury, just like I never knew Dial Square. It’s not tearing up history. It’s respecting it and appreciating that things move on. Bittersweet. But sweet nonetheless.

Come on you reds…….

26. London – who are these supporters? What do they think going to football is all about? I’ve mentioned to you before that I’ve sat where you sit and its like a morgue some of the time!!!!!!!! The people that sit at the top of the Clock End and North Bank curves need to be re-located to the middle of the ground IMO

As usual a well written piece from our lady leprechaun.

Never been to The Emirates, and all they need now is to change that name, but alas we are tied up for a while.

I have a theory that all the players look so much smaller because one is generally so much further away from the pitch than the tight surround at Highbury, which I believe was one of the smallest size pitches in the premier division..

Half time was always a rush to the canteen for a watered down bovril and a two year old reheated sausage roll. Oh how we moaned so often in the sixties , but like loyal servants kept supporting the club we loved. Then that late spring night in 1970 or was it 69 when we actually won a cup for the first time in 17 years.Memories ah .

You have to have been there to really appreciate that night.

Welcome clockendrider and thanks for sharing that with us.

We are lucky to have experienced Highbury and witnessed the transition to the Emirates and now to be watching it grow into the ‘new fortress’. Younger supporters (including today’s author) can only imagine the atmosphere at Highbury through the words of diehard supporters like yourself.

Morning kelsey,

Do you think we could get M & S to be the next stadium sponsor? – the grub would certainly be a lot better 😛

30. Mark says:

We need a singing section like Wembley where you can stand and sing your heart out, people who are too embarrassed or don’t want to stand, fuck off and let the true supporters get behind the Arsenal. Personally I think it should be the whole North Bank lower tier end!!

31. Rasp – thats very funny 😛

32. tommystout says:

we touched on it a couple of posts ago – we need a new arsenal song to come out to.
    that should be the next arsenalisation to be sorted out.

war chant – war chant – war chant

33. Morning Mark – I agree with you, the idea that Red Action should only be in one corner of the ground is a silly one. Now that I’m a ‘clockender’I don’t want to hear the away supporters singing louder than us all the time.

34. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening all

Well done irish, nice read. I tend to agree with Gooner in Belfast, Ashburton Grove needs a trophy or 2 held aloft there & then everyone will love the place. Ofcourse I have not graced the stands of the new stadium, I only went to Highbury, but a 60,000 seater has to be better than a 36,000 seater.

There doesn’t appear to be enough parking @ the new stadium, but all you lot queue up to catch trains so it may not matter.

35. tommystout says:

so barca are wanting to rebuild relations with us now are they – too late bozo.
    why have arsenal not reported them to uefa? can anyone tell me? it is obviously blatent tapping…. and were uefa not coming down hard on clubs for this ie chelsea – when they received their ban???

36. Mark says:

Totaaly agree with you Tommy, need a unique song that is ours and not just common crap..

37. On that point tommy, I wrote to Arsenal telling them about our post and the suggestions that were being made. In typical Arsenal style, I got acknowledgement to say that my email was being passed to another department from which I’ve heard nothing 🙄

38. tommystout says:

well done for that peaches – i think every gooner should take your lead…. that is the only way to get action.
    give me the email address please?

39. tommystout says:

email or correct person to address? whatever thanks

40. tommystout says:

set up a petition, much like you can do with government issues?

41. SharkeySure says:

My first trip to Highbury was in 1977. Arsenal 2 – Liverpool 1. Or so I thought.

I just looked the result up and it says it was 1-1?? Que pasa..??

My claim to fame was shouting Kenny Dogshit at Dalglish from the kids section which ran along the touchline on one side. He heard me and gave me a steely glare….it was prob a Scotish smile, but it ws the same difference to this 10 yr old that day.

I’d gone with a mate who was 9, the pair of us having made the trip up from Sth London via tube from the Elephant and Castle (cue overseas readers scratching heads !!).

My 9 yr old son barely goes 50 yds to the shop these days…times change ‘eh, which I think Echo’s Irish’s point.

Our old home was great, but its not our home anymore.

How safe was the Nth Bank anyway..?? It was seriously swaying in the aftermath of THAT goal by Tone in 98, and during the celebrations at the end of the game. I remember thinking ‘this doesn’t feel too safe’ and I left shortly after the trophy was presented.

Out in the street was complete mayhem, with Wrighty leadng the singing from the dressing room window.

Glorious days

42. Mark says:

VP new number 10 get in!!

43. fatgingergooner says:

just noticed you have got Eduardo on the OUT list in the transfer area. Is this fact or a pre-emptive strike????

44. Mark says:

Sharkey I thought that was just me, that North Bank was bouncing all over the place in 98 I thought it was about to collapse!!

45. Hi gnarley – how’re you doing?

I can’t believe the moaning that still goes on about queueing up to get into a station – if you don’t want to queue walk on to the next station!!!!! I always walk back to Finsbury Park after a game and will sometimes be held back by the police filtering people into the station but not for long.

I don’t notice any moaning from people queueing to get into the ground and sometimes that takes a while too.

46. tommystout says:

LOL sharky i was in that swaying tier at the time… i dont think that the designers designed it for partying gooners

47. SharkeySure says:

CE-Jim. You, your dad and your son going to games. Quality !!

Great post in other respects as well

48. Hi fgg – pre-emptive I reckon 😉

49. Well well well my Yummy One has the no 11 – go Carlos 😀

50. SharkeySure says:

Tommy Mark….Lol

I was celebrating like crazy (really ?? – lol) but every now and then I’d realiase how unstable it all felt, and was actually a litle fearful.

I did stay a fair while but I deffo took my cue to leave a bit before everyone else.

51. Mark says:

Those were the days lol

52. SharkeySure says:

Peaches – I just walk past the first queue for Arsenal, and join the much shorter queue to go in from the other side. Simples.

Oh and re the Cesc song from the other day – I thought you meant a new one in light of recent (non?) events.

Morning fgg,

I put Eduardo in the OUT section as I believe the deal is done – in the same way as I put Koscielny in the ‘IN’ before the club officially announced his signing. You will see that Campbell, Silvestre and Gallas do not feature at the moment although I am tempted to put Silvestre in at the least.

54. fatgingergooner says:

if Eduardo warrants a place in the OUT then i reckon Gallas and Silvestre could easily be put on the list aswell.

fingers crossed that Campbell resigns, however, if that means we dont sign another CB then would rather he be in the OUT box aswell.

Cant believe all the rubbish about us signing the 3 Ajax players this morning for £42m, who comes up with this shit!!!!!?????

55. SharkeySure says:

Just re read it and Mark, you’re right my describing it it as ‘swaying’ is wide not correct.

Yours tells the true story – “bouncing all over the place” !!!

I agree fgg,

I left am waiting for Gallas’ departure to be made official because London wrote a post about the possibility of him staying.

The Ajax story is pure fabrication I’m sure.

I do hope Arsène is not waiting for Sol to make his mind up rather than go flat out to sign another CD.

Sharkey,

I always sat North Bank lower behind the goal and the upper tier used to bounce up and down as you say in a very scary manner. I can only assume that it was built to be flexible, but I did worry when I had the kids with me.

58. SharkeySure says:

I got two lines into that story and caught hold of myself.

I nly got excited cos it involved Suarez, who I thought was a dream to watch at the World Cup. A phenomenal goalscorer who is also a very good footballer.

Lucky for Uruguay having two of them in Suarez and that ‘other guy’ who one or two people said played well.

I actualy thought Uruguay were fantastic in every department, and would love to see Diego Perez at the Emirates. I didn’t really rate/notice Fucile playing for Porto, other than for a bit of thuggery I think, but he was magnificent in SA playing mostly on his wrong side at LB. He attacked and defended with aplomb, showing great skill, tenacity and he had a truly fantastic workrate.

59. SharkeySure says:

‘That story’ being the Ajax one

60. SharkeySure says:

Rasp – If I was with my kids I would have left at half time !!!

61. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Hi peaches

62. forza forza says:

Rasp says:
    July 20, 2010 at 10:26 am
    Morning ff,

How many games have you attended at the Emirates?
    had to give up s.t last year,so yes i have been to the bowl..half the players we got now don’t deserve to be playing in it for sure,that stadium was for proper players ie 03-04 team.

63. Slice says:

Hi boys, great new song for TV to the tune of the clash’s tommy gun, anyone who knows this tune will be able to hear the da da da da and imagine it being sung atthe game and in the pubs

“tommy gun,
    he’ll keep on fightin til the war is won,
    tommy gun,
    he plays for the arsenal and he’s gottem on the run!
    DA DA, DA DA, DA DA, DA DA, DA DA!
    DA DA, DA DA, DA DA, DA DA, DA DA!
    Repeat…

Thanks ff,

I know you’re a gooner, I just wish I could inject you with a bit more enthusiasm 😉

65. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all, my take on the squad numbering is this, assuming Eddy is as good as off why not give Robin the number 9 and make the Arsh the number 10?
    That is our Russians preferred number and Robin is our main striker so he should be 9.

66. SharkeySure says:

‘Fans’ like FF really do my head in.

I wonder why they don’t just give up on Arsenal til it suits them to come back. Whether thats til we start competing(in their eyes?) or winning, or once Arsene has gone, or Players X Y and Z have been signed.

I just don’t get what enjoyment there is in only seeing the worst in something. The negatives at Arsenal are completely outweighed by the positives.

My wife has her faults, but they are minor when viewing the whole realm of what she means to me and the kids.

In the past I’ve likened those who (imho) are over critical to wifebeaters. Knock her about on Monday, declare their undying love for her on Tues. Domestic abuse levels fell thru the floor on Tyneside in 96, when the Barcodes were storming the League

67. SharkeySure says:

Just to clarify…

FF you’re comnents are genearlly harmless, wnd whilst your comment triggered my post, its not directed at you, well most certainly, the second part isn’t.

But I would be interested to hear you talk positively about some aspect of your relationship with Arsenal.

Wriiten in peace

I have come to the conclusion that there won’t be any more buying this summer.

Does anyone know where peaches is?

69. Ian says:

The old ground was called ‘The Arsenal Stadium’ to be fair, hence the film ‘The Arsenal Stadium Mystery’ It was never officially called Highbury. Highbury is just the local area.

I suspect that people will still sing Highbury. The Emirates (Ashburton Grove, if you will) is growing on me and with the ‘Arsenalisation’ works ongoing is getting there slowly but surely. Once a few trophies are in the cabinet (proper ones not ’emirates cup’) it will start to feel like the real deal.

70. naga gunner says:

Forget about everything, its the stadium name that is the most irritating. “Emirates”, must be changed, no soul, no history, no tradition, nothing. Any chance of that being renamed before the proposed 2021?

71. London says:

Naga

We could re-name it……all we have to do is keep refering to it by a name we like…..I like New Highbury, the New bit isn’t ideal but my hope would be that it disappears in a couple of years and we are left with Highbury.

72. London says:

Hi kelsey

As much a recent experiences have left us all feeling quite pessimistic when it comes to new signings, I find it impossible to believe that we will go into the new season with only three CB’s.

73. London says:

forza forza reminds me of one of those men who used to walk up and down Oxford Street wearing a sandwich board with messages on it saying things like “The End is Nigh”

forza manages to come up with a similarly gloomy message almost every day………don’t jump forza…….well, go on then, if you want.

74. SharkeySure says:

Alright London.

Do Nordveidt and Song make no.s four and five at CB. I really hope not !!

75. SharkeySure says:

Need a push…??

Hi london,

I think a lot depends on Campbell, but I might be wrong.

77. irishgunner says:

Afternoon all,

My first game was only two seasons ago when Eboue got booed at home to Wigan. I was in with Redaction for that game which was cool.

78. irishgunner says:

Will miss Eduardo, best for him and us though I feel.

79. London says:

Ok, that explains what is going on with Eduardo, so why isn’t Denilson in Austria?

80. London says:

Hi Kelsey

Who knows for sure, I don’t believe Campbell is out of the picture; I am not even convinced that Gallas is out of the picture…..an offer of 25k a week from Galatasary? He was on 90k a week with us last season, I know the club wanted to reduce his wage but surely an offer was put to him of more than 25k per week, an offer that is still on the table.

81. tommystout says:

denilson has a groin injury.

82. irishgunner says:

Yup Denilson is injured, Wenger said so prior to the Barnet game I think.

Afternoon irish,

An excellent post – as I’ve come to expect 😛

I hear we’ve banned the Vuvuzela – just as well because if someone was sat behind me blowing it in my ear at 120 decibels, they’d soon have it inserted up their Aaaarssenal.

84. charybdis1966 says:

I don’t see why everyone is expecting Sol to sign for Sunderland purely because his new other ½ is from oop norf.
    Virtually every northern woman I’ve met was in a mad panic to get away from the north so don’t think sols wife is necessarily any different.

85. tommystout says:

how rude. rasp 🙂

86. irishgunner says:

Cheers Rasp.

And 😆 lovely word choice there.

chary,

Apparently Sol has bought a very impressive ‘pile’ ooop norf. He does have a history of being more of an accountant than a footballer in his choice of clubs.

88. It is a bit worrying that Sol doesn’t seem to be able to make up his mind about what he wants to do – if he hadn’t just got married I’d be prepared to go and have a chat …………………….

Can anyone translate from Polish – we’ve had a lot of hits from this site today…

90. charybdis1966 says:

It’s probably a place for when his other ½ wants to visit her relatives, Raspers.
    There may be other reasons for him going to Sunderland but I doubt it’s the allure of the norf that his new wife feels that will be the deciding factor. The norf is very chauvinistic and sexist so nearly all northern women are glad to get out of there.
    Watch him sign for Sunderland now – soon as I ever put my head on the block down comes the blade!

91. I did hear earlier that the mancs have launched a ‘Rooroozela’ and are selling them in their club shop. I bet there’ll be away supporters that have them at all the grounds 😦

92. irishgunner says:

Rasp – Its Finnish just checked and google translated – they found yesterday’s post very informative.

Thanks irish, I new I could rely on you. Is it a general football site, or just for Arsefins?

94. irishgunner says:

Its a general football board with an Arsenal section.

95. New blogger GunnerN5 I’ve sent you an email 😉

96. kelsey – I’ve sent him an email

97. Ooooh get you kelsey 😉

98. irishgunner says:

Kelsey – is that the one that is in the “Be our Guest” section?

Just realised that peaches, all amendments done.perhaps you can move the post on to here. Phew!!!!!

100. Thanks Irish – I found it too.

Did you see that My Yummy One has been given the no 11 😆

101. Ok, I’ll see what I can do with my magic wand 😀

102. irishgunner says:

I’ve set up a fantasy football league for us for next season, if anyone is interested (if not I win hurrah 😀 )

The code is: 165907-78746

And its here: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Maybe we could put it into the sidebar somewhere?

103. irishgunner says:

I did indeed Peaches – so he’s staying yipee 🙂 He’s still not Rosexy though (even with the new haircut) 8)

July 20, 2010 at 3:45 pm (Edit)

Morning all, well at least it’s morning here in Canada.

I would like to post a bio (me) of an Arsenal supporter. For a bit of background I was born on Avenell Road and saw my 1st game at Highbury in 1947.
    Some of you know me already – but don’t let that put you off!

I thought I’d ask before posting as it may get a bit long winded. If you agree then I would like to know how to post email? blog?

Cheers.

105. Irish – great idea to be part of a Fantasy Football League, I tried to do one for us last year but got bogged down – I’m sure we can get the info into the side bar I’ll run it by the techy 🙂

106. irishgunner says:

That’d be cool Peaches if we could get at least 10/12 people onto it, hopefully more, they’d see it on the sidebar.

Not that anyone will beat Lady Gaga’s Hats XI 8)

107. We’ll see about that – Chocolate Legs will rule 😆

108. irishgunner says:

😆 Chocolate Legs

109. charybdis1966 says:

Talking of widgets, how about a hyper link behind the name on the authors list taking you to a list of their articles?
    Also I was just thinking that Maires post today would flow on very nicely from the one I posted last about the move TO Highbury, the one with the catchy title Raspers, LOL.

That’s a great idea chary – I’m not sure I’m clever enough to make it happen though 😦 We’ll ask the techy if it can be done.

Welcome GunnerN5,

I am afraid you are now the oldest on here but most probably the wisest. Let’s hear your story 🙂

112. irishgunner says:

We could have a page called “Authors and their posts” and have each author, a bit about them and what they have written. It’ll be a long one for someone to do though, have many posts have we done?

113. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah, it’s a techy thing that’s for sure Raspers. We must be pushing 150 posts by now I reckon.

176 posts so far; only 1 day when we didn’t put anything new up; 17 different authors; in existence for 23 weeks; 265,000 visits; 20,500 comments; made a lot of new friends 🙂

115. irishgunner says:

That’s pretty good going.

116. charybdis1966 says:

So each author should have an average of 10 posts – I’m wewll below that. Didn;t I tell you I was lazy, thank god for Maire, shes alot more industrious than me.
    The energy and drive of youth, no doubt.

117. SharkeySure says:

GunnerN5’s write up is gonna be a headline post right…??

118. irishgunner says:

Ha ha in all fairness I think you are being too kind Chary, most of the work/posts are from Peaches and Rasp.

We’re hoping so Sharkey – when can we expect yours? 🙂

120. SharkeySure says:

I had one in mind. It was exploring the symbiosis of being an Arsenal doomer and a wifebeater.

I offered it to Peaches coupla weeks ago, but never heard back. Not even a ‘yer not got now’t else Sharkey??’.

Very disappointing

I’m sorry sharkey, she must have missed your missive 😕

If you’d care to email it to us we’d be delighted to put it up as long as (in the style of Kenny Everett) “its in the best possible taste”

GunnerN5,

I’ve taken your comment off as it is wasted late on a Tuesday afternoon when it is 5:30 in England (I know its still morning for you)

It is a really interesting story and we’d like to put it up as a headline post and publish it in the morning UK time – that way it will get the readership it deserves and many more folks will get the chance to pass comment.

We could use it tomorrow if you like, please let us know if you are happy with that arrangement.

123. SharkeySure says:

Not written it Rasp, just a series of long held thoughts and beliefs at this stage.

I thought it might have been something to do with the ‘topic’. Lol

That’s fine with me Rasp.

Great stuff GunnerN5, good to have you on the site.

GunnerN5,

Another thought, I don’t suppose you have any pics of yourself as a lad outside the ground or in Avenell Road etc etc that you could email us to include in the piece?

127. SharkeySure says:

If he hasn’t, just get one off the web…no one’ll know !!!

128. charybdis1966 says:

Maires right, Peachy & Raspers do a shed load of work for this site; for all their efforts, I salute you.

Rasp give me an email address and I’ll forward some pictures.

130. London says:

I have an idea….how about we introduce a game, a game we can all play, it’s called “Today’s Biggest Porkie”. This is how it works: in our travels we cover a lot of internet ground, so, while doing that we should try and find porkies, the one that finds the day’s biggest porkie wins the prize. I propose that today’s biggest porkie comes from Roy Hodgson:

“Cole’s signed for football not financial reasons”

Hahahahahahahahahahah…….yeah Roy.

131. irishgunner says:

😆 London

I thought us giving Ajax £42mil for three players would win but your’s trumps it 😀

132. GunnerN5 – I sent you an email to the address you’d used when you signed in – if you want to email the site the address is

arsenalnuts@live.co.uk

peaches, I’m a tad confused. I did receive an email in relation to my f1st post but it was not from you?

134. London says:

Peaches

Ajax…..42 million….did they say which players? Lol

Hey London,

If you enjoy porkies, we’ve got a peach coming up later in the week in the form of another post from mjc

136. London says:

Hi Rasp

I’m glad to hear there is more coming from mjc.

Yes, he and 26may have branded themselves as the site geeks 🙂 but it appears that our new writer for tomorrow (GunnerN5) is a ‘statomaniac’ so he may give them a run for their money.

Morning all,

Can someone please give Arsène a nudge and tell him its just over 3 weeks to the first game of the season and we’re still short of a centreback and first choice keeper …. no urgency or anything, I just thought he may have forgotten 🙄

139. He’s much too busy Rasp thinking about the team for tonights game – it’ll be interesting to see who the centre-back pairing is …….. shall we open a book

It will be interesting peaches, but academic because neither kozzer or Djourou look to be ready/capable of starting the season against pool.

Conor Henderson looked far more disciplined in his positioning and general play for a CB than Djourou in the Barnet game.

142. Theres a NEW POST

143. charybdis1966 says:

Hi Raspers, Peachy. I saw shades of TA06 in Henderson’s gait and defending style although of course he is nowhere near TA06’s level just yet.
    Maybe I’m way off the mark but I definitely saw something there.
    At the very worst we won’t have the nightmare scenario of having to see Fish head in the heart of our defence when we play “Champions League Liverpool.”

144. Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content
    on our website. Keep up the good writing.

145. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a
    blog post or vice-versa? My site addresses a
    lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you might be interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog by the way!