A Couple of Stars on the Horizon

I’d  put the squad names on yesterdays post but by the time the players were on the pitch doing their warm-up both Almunia and Eduardo had mysteriously morphed into Mannone and Szczesney. This felt to me the right thing to do as I couldn’t see what Almunia would have to offer in this kind of game and was looking forward to watching both of our other keepers being tested. So, flu or no flu, good decision Arsene.

Traditionally in this game Arsene sends a pretty much 1st team out 1st half and then the reserves for the 2nd half but this year it was more of a balanced mix. Rosicky captained the first half with a team set out as a 4-3-3 with Arshavin, Jay Simpson and JET up frontish. The mid three were Wilshire on the left Frimpong in the middle and Rosicky on the right. The back four Traore – Vermaelen – Koscienly – Havard Nordveit. Arshavin put us ahead inside 2 minutes and we all relaxed.

If you’ve never seen him play, Frimpong looks like Eboue. He was playing the holding mid-fielders role and his energy in driving play forward and in the tackle was a pleasure to behold. I hope he turns out to be good enough for Arsenal because I saw him playing just over a year ago in the Youth FA cup team and was impressed with him there. He runs at players, has good ball skills and he made some fine tackles. Had a couple of shots too. I think we’ll see more of him.

Even though Jay Simpson showed his appetite for goals and his finishing skills, the star of the first half and indeed the match for me had to be Havard Nordveit. He usually plays as a centre-back  but he was imperious here as the right-back.  Don’t we have any right-backs coming through? He got to more headers than Koscienly and his crossing was pretty good too, anyone know if he’s right or left footed because we noticed that his crosses came off his left-foot.

The second half was a bit of a slumber party. Some good linkup play between Theo and Chamakh, nice neat passing that could have produced a couple of goals. They seemed to be alternating playing in the middle. Chamakh was happy to track back and showed a couple of tricks. If our wing-backs could learn how to cross he will get us goals, he got into a great position for a corner late in the half but the delivery was poor.

Here are chary’s thoughts of the game:

A much more competitively contested game than in 2009, as evidenced by the late sliding tackle on the revelation of the first half, Havard Nordtveidt, who seemed to ooze class and composure giving the Barnet left winger no joy at all.

Arshavin and Nasri looked as though they had come back from fat camp and showed touches of class, although more came from our Russian maestro.

Both Rosicky and Barazite seemed to have gotten a job lot discount on haircuts.

Jet looked like an amalgam of Kevin Campbell and Heskey to me, but the Emile comparison is not meant to be derogatory, he’s still young enough to round off the rough edges to his game as he certainly has the power and pace.

Kozzer needs to get some high protein shakes into his diet and bulk up on his upper body but he seems the determined type of player who will bust a gut to improve.

Chamakh settled into an Alan Smith type of role – holding up the ball to allow others to come into play and I’m salivating at the prospect of us actually posing some threat at set pieces now. His close control seemed pretty impressive too.

It’s a pity Barnet couldn’t throw/kick in some crosses to test Chesney’s catching and decision making as he barely had anything to do

Finally,the first Peronis of the season were downed by yours truly and jolly good they were too!

129 Responses to A Couple of Stars on the Horizon

1. London says:

Morning all

It sounds like the AA meeting went well at Underhill. I have a question: if the second part was written by Chary, who wrote the first part?

Morning,

Perfect summary of the game.

Havard was faultess. His size, pace, tackling, heading, passing, crossing – all very impressive. If he can play like that against stiffer oposition he will be the best right back we’ve had since Lee Dixon. He is the utility defender/HM we’ve been lacking.

Kozzer looked good with the ball on the ground and is clearly totally copmfortable using either foot. In co0mparison to Vermaelen on the basis of this one game, he is not as strong and nowhere near as good competing with his head – but the same time last year, TV looked about the same.

London, if you’re around – it was obvious that TV and Kozzer are currently AW’s favoured CB pairing. That is very worrying because without a new keeper, our defence will be weaker than at the start of last season. I still hope that Kozzer will find his feet, but can we afford to wait?

3. dandan says:

Interesting comments, I watched the telecast and it seemed to me that Frimpong was the stand out player along with AA and little Jack.
    In the second half our old weakness of not attacking the far stick continued to annoy, Walcott hit three good crosses to far post with no one around, we complain that we cant clear the first man and when we do, no one gets in behind them. Lets hope the new man works on that in training all in all a good show though

4. London says:

Morning Rasp

I am still here…..and why was it obvious that those two are Wenger’s favoured CB pairing?

5. London says:

Peaches

Congrats on getting something out, if it was down to me I would still be writing.

6. Good point dandan – it was frustrating that everyone gathered at the near post and no-one bothered to run in from behind.

7. Djourou’s positioning in the second half was dreadful at times and he kept getting himself into trouble by being too clever – he didn’t have a good game IMO

8. Thanks London – couldn’t you tell from the girly writing 😉

I was going to go into hiding after seeing the pics of Sol Campbells wedding yesterday 😦 😦 😦

9. London says:

Woolcot, that in itself makes me laugh, anyway Walcott, apart from being full of energy continued to show his football naivety by sending crosses to the far post when no one was there, they may have been good crosses and it could be argued that someone should have been there but here is a small tip……look up first you twit.

10. Looks like Jagielka is the target – good, a proper centre-back, come on Arsene get your man – this is going to be exciting…………

11. London – do you have time to look up first? if you’ve just belted down the wing, got into position to cross before someone tackles you or nicks the ball of your foot surely the onus is on the other players who can see whats going to happen to get into a better position?

12. Bloody hell we complain that the crosses don’t clear the first man but when everyones gathering at the near post surely someone needs to take a bit of initiative and make a run to the far post………….no?

Hi London,

Firstly because he started with them and Djourou was paired with a rookie and secondly, because although Kozzer has some way to go, he still looked a lot better than JD. I would be pointless to have spliut his favoured pairing as the 2 CB’s need to build an understanding – actually, interms of working together, TV and Kozzer look already to gel quite well.

14. London says:

Peaches

He does it week in and week out, it really is beyond a joke.

15. Rasp – did you see the stuff about Jagielka? Yesterdays pairings might all be academic

16. London says:

Rasp

You may be right, and after only forty five minutes I certainly don’t feel certain in my view but would you like to have a small wager that Koscielny does not start at Anfield?

17. London – I think thats a bit harsh of you. Theo’s doing all the work – he’s busting a gut to get the ball to the by-line and the rest of the team don’t know what he’s going to do next??????

Chamakh’ll be there waiting to thump them in soon – you’ll see

Hi peaches,

I’d happily take Jagielka now because as I said earlier, currently our defence is weaker than last season. We used to collect small midfielders, we now seem to be collecting small CB’s who are better suited to the DM role 😦

19. London says:

Peaches

If Almunia kicked the ball into an area in which nobody was there and then said but someone should have been there would you be so tolerant?

I wouldn’t, I would say you are supposed to be a professional….find your man

20. London says:

Peaches

You can put in all the question marks you like but a good winger looks up before he crosses.

Messi would not just send a ball across when nobody is there…..people would laugh.

London,

Koscielny will start at Anfield (barring injury)unless we buy another CB in the meantime, of that I’m pretty sure – and I would wager that with you.

22. London says:

Rasp

Ahh, I thought you might not have spotted the “Buy another CB in the mean time” part….all good fun.

My view on the pairing was to give Wenger a better idea of just how determined he needs to be in the transfer market.

23. London says:

I have to say the Jagielka story this morning lifted me no end, there are some stories I really want to believe and that is one of them.

Cunning London 😉 I think we need to buy another CB to partner TV. I wish I could have seen how Havard would have performed as CB, he won several headers that should have been kozzer’s and looks meatier and more powerful.

25. London says:

Rasp

I didn’t notice the headers but it is very encouraging what you say about Nordviet.

26. I’m not going to get into a spat with you London – I just feel its a team game and if Theos crosses are clearing the first man and ending up in an empty area surely the sensible thing to do would be to fill it 🙂

Can’t even blame Diaby – cos he wasn’t there 😉

27. Irishgunner says:

I didn’t see much if anything of the game but its the first game back and had a lot of kids. I’d read more into the Emirates Cup games cos there should be a stronger team out and I expect all goings and comings to be done by then.

Jagielka would be a great buy – he made the Everton CB work, not Lescott.

28. Irishgunner says:

” Can’t even blame Diaby – cos he wasn’t there” – Or Bendtner 😉

Hi Irish,

I’m now seriously worried about our defence. I can’t see JD making the grade and we are now officially not interested in Schwarzer. Can you see us buying a CB (hopefully Jagielka) and a GK?

30. Irishgunner says:

Rasp – Morning.

Yes and Yes. Maybe I’m being my overly optimistic self but I can see him buying another top CB and a GK. Almunia could stay as number two and Fabianski off on loan.

But which keeper now?

Frimpong had a very good game. He started off a little nervy but by the end of the half he was everywhere – I wonder where he figures in the midfield ‘ankle snapper’ role in relation to Coquelin and Eastmond?

33. Irishgunner says:

I don’t know.

I really think Wenger doesn’t want to lose Chesney and for fear he’ll go somewhere else if he finds his chances limited he’ll get in a more mature keeper.

34. London says:

Peaches

The criticism of our crosses, not clearing the first man, stems from our abysmal corners rather than the crosses in open play, although, that is not to say that doesn’t happen in open play as well. I don’t see that putting a view across is getting into a spat. It is basic football knowledge that a winger should look up before he crosses the ball; if no one is in the box to receive the cross the winger should have the speed of thought to adjust and try something else.

35. Alcazares says:

Beckham apparently gave Theo a few tips before the WC and said its your job to get the crosses in the box. Its the strikers job to get there!!!!

36. London says:

I thought Chesney’s first two touches showed how elevated he has become in our minds rather then the reality his level.

37. London says:

Welcome Alcazares

This is interesting….we should have a poll.

London,

You are correct in saying that a good player looks up before he crosses and tries to pick out an incoming striker. Equally, when a winger puts several crosses into an empty box, you’d think that the attacking players would have the nouse to get into position in the hope that such a cross is forthcoming.

It has been a feature of our play in recent years that we often have the ball wide but no end product due to lack of bodies in the box – this may be in part to do with the fact that we are short of attacking players who can head the ball – hopefully Chamakh will correct that shortcoming.

39. dandan says:

London…sorry I had to go after that post. Theo has every right to expect that forwards will be in the Area by the time he reaches the goal line Raddy, kennedy, smudger, super mack all had one thing in common the preyed of the back stick, when you have a man who can head the ball that is where he should be at the very least he can then head it back across and behind a static defence. Walcott was worth his corn yesterday others let him down.
    Sure look up if you are going to hit an early cross, but if you are obviously going for the goal line even the dumbest player or fan should expect a far post ball

40. Thankyou Alcazares 😉

41. Thankyou Rasp 😉

42. Thankyou dandan 😉

43. Ok I’ll stop now 😳

44. London says:

Rasp

If it is correct to say that a winger should look up why would the said player send “several crosses into an empty box”……into an empty box……into an empty box, how can you justify such incredible naivety.

I agree that Chamakh will help aerially.

45. Irishgunner says:

You could thank me …. for something …. 😳

Where’s my Rosicky present??

46. London says:

Dandan

Armstrong would have looked up and if no one was likely to get on the end of a cross he would have done something different. That is the difference between a player with a footballing brain and one that doesn’t.

London,

A winger’s job is to get crosses into the box; a striker’s job is to score goals = get on the end of crosses….. where is the naivety in that?

Putting in an early cross that it is physically impossible for your team mates to get on the end of is poor play by the winger. Not getting yourself into a position to intercept a cross is poor play by a striker.

48. dandan says:

Armstrong was my hero and he would have known that Raddy or Kennedy and miracle of miracles even GG sometimes,would have covered both sticks if they hadn’t Don HOWE the coach, a full back himself would have murdered them in training,
    The constant criticism of Arsenal has been they go through the middle or walk the ball in, a far ball cross takes the GK out and gives us options that we have not had for ages. Smudger himself said that we dont use the back stick enough and I do believe he liked a header.

49. Thankyou Irish – I’ve got him tucked away for you 😉

Surely the naivety is on the rest of the team for being so disorganised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theo very rarely has another option anyway – when Eboue plays he does, as Eboue always busts a gut to keep up with him and gives him the chance to lay the ball off instead of crossing. Yesterday it was largely 2 on 2 at the near post and so if someone had put their brain in gear they would have had plenty of space.

Thinking about it logically if Theo had played in the first half he would have Arsh, Rosexy or LJ probably running into the space.

I’m not defending Theo here. I thought it was a typical Theo performance yesterday. He had one or two scintillating runs early on, but when nothing came of those he became slowly less effective and lacking in ideas. His crossing needs to improve.

51. Irishgunner says:

😆 Peaches – don’t suffocate him, I want him alive 😀

Its a bit much singling out Theo regardless, we’re not exactly awash with fine crossers of the ball and its not a large part of our game.

52. dandan says:

Rasp after those two runs Barnet reorganised and doubled up on Theo, yet he still managed another good cross later, had we had a player who can head on the far post he could have had a hat trick. Yet Theo gets the kicking, Denilson wasnt playing perhaps Theo is this years fall guy, we always seem to need one.

53. Nephew of Rocky says:

Afternoon all.. Like the Winger/crossing/far post discussion…suppose it kinda depends on circumstance…yes the winger must be aware of what is happening but surely the attacker/midfielders should be aware that a cross will be comin…to have noone in the box isnt good enough- how would we score?! And very VERY few players will see a Walcott run and get into the box in time if he is in full flight! Or even half flight (is that even a usable term!?!)

David James is free…any takers??

Hi dandan,

Surely one of the benefits of players regularly playing together is that they recognise each other’s strengths and weaknesses and adapt their game to cover/compliment each other’s ability.

It sometimes looks like we are not making enough effort to get into the box – but maybe that’s to be expected in a pre-season friendly?

Hi N o R,

After watchiung James’ world cup performances, I’d certainly take him rather than no-one!

I think we had hoped to get the squad right without spending huge amounts, but we certainly need another CB and a keeper and should spend up to the sum available in order to secure those two signings.

56. dandan says:

Agreed Rasp but we have just purchased supposedly one of the finest headers of a football in Europe isn’t it reasonable to expect AW to ask the wingers and full backs to get to the goal line and hit high crosses. Theo did that and as I say there was a hat trick going begging. Then he gets stick, it is so typically Arsenal fan that it annoys.

If Theo can put three crosses a game in like that then a real header of a ball would score every week and how we have missed that.

57. Nephew of Rocky says:

Hi Rasp,

Totally agree…Wenger knew the areas he had to address and after all the “we now have money available” chat I believe that we should have had it all sorted by now. Yes he had the WC but if we end up getting Jagielka for example what was the excuse for not getting it sorted out earlier?

James over Schwarzer for me.. and he’s saves £4m!

Glad Nordtveit is back…but still need an proper experienced cb and Jag fits the bill!

58. Nephew of Rocky says:

Apparently (just read another blog) that sources in Ukraine are reporting 7.5m for Eduardo is a done deal… sad but understandable if true…

59. Nephew of Rocky says:

Shakthar being the club in question..

60. Fatgingergooner says:

Hope people aren’t reading too much into this game. Saying JD won’t be good enough on the back of his first game in ages seems a bit unfair. Looking forward to seeing the boys in the Emirates Cup and having young Jack back in the squad is a joy to behold, though I reckon another season with Bolton is just what he needs. Loving the headlines about Jagielka btw, exactly the type of player we need at the back. If we sign him and a keeper then that could be the league for us this year methinks!!!!!!!!

Hi Fgg,

I presume you were at the game then? Did you think JD looked the part? I think he seemed indecisive at times and not positionally aware. He was involved in some backpassing with the leeper which was a bit dodgy.

62. London says:

DanDan

I’m sorry if I annoy you but I do not share your view.

Your first comment of the day praised Woolcot for sending crosses to the far post and criticised attackers for not being there. My point is that it might be a good idea to look up rather than send a cross in that guarantees the loss of possession.

The first time Walcott got to the by-line he had no choice but to send in a blind cross, understanably we lost possession…….the problem is that he continued to do it even when there was no one there and better options were available, the result being that we lost possession every time. That is a criticism of a naive player….something that Armstrong was not.

63. Fatgingergooner says:

Hey Rasp

Unfortunately I don’t go to the games as I live in Leeds n I ain’t rich!!!

Some may judge my comments meaningless because of this fact but that’s upto them!!!!

I don’t think players should be written off because of one game, especially when they have been out injured for a long time. Vermaelen wasn’t amazing in every game last season, but wasn’t written off when he had a bad one. On the same note, Almunia has been hammered after many mistakes, not just the one or two. Personally I’m not a massive fan of JD but he hasn’t played regularly enough to be judged imho

64. London says:

FG

Were you brought up in Leeds?

Fgg,

Your comments will never be treated as meaningless – your opinion is perfectly valid and makes others think. I agree that players shouldn’t be written off after one game and I am certainly not doing that in relation to Koscielny, but I have seen a lot more of JD and never been convinced despite wanting him to be great.

Almunia is not brave enough and does not command his area. I have seen him lose us enough points to want him gone.

66. dandan says:

NO you don’t annoy me London. It is a fact that we don’t have forwards who attack the ball, the idea of a high cross is for a forward with momentum going forward to challenge and out jump defenders going backwards.
    Thus Walcote is just what we need as a diversion to the walk it in philosophy, that has cost us dear in recent years. Both attack are equally valuable and should be mixed up. therefor the forward are to blame if they fail to get on the end of a predictable cross from the goal line out wide. Especially if they are included for their heading ability.
    As I have said many times it is the blame culture at Arsenal I Object to and Walcott has been a target since that buffoon Chris Twaddle made his inane comments. Lets be kind and just say he is a better singer than pundit.

67. Fatgingergooner says:

Yes London, I was actually born in Portsmouth and raised In Leeds, but the gunners were the first team I saw on the tv!!! As you can imagine, I was hammered a lot as a youngster by the very passionate Leeds fans, but I’m still here to tell the tale!!!!! Anyway, enough about my boring life!!!! Haha

Thanks for that Rasp, good to find a blog with people that can think, rather than having to chat to people who think that signing Kaka, Ronaldo and Messi is a) a possibility and b) the answer to everything!!!!!!

Not sure who said this earlier but would be more than happy to see David James in a gunners shirt next year, wouldn’t cost a penny and would allow Szczesny another year or two. James is unbelievably fit for his age and could definitely last two more seasons.

As for Nordviet Rasp, how did he look yesterday? Hearing good things on here but do you think he could do the job against Drogba? It looks to me like we are still missing that Adams or Campbell figure that could take us to trophies, what do you reckon?

68. dandan says:

By the way have you noticed how many commentators are now saying various players get their head up, it is the latest broadcasting industry buzz comment designed to make them appear knowledgeable Alan Green used it umpteen times through the world cup.
    Says it all really

69. London says:

DanDan

Even though it may seem we have been at logger heads today I suspect there are two things we can agree on: Walcott will get better and Chris Waddle is a better singer than pundit 😉

70. London says:

Well, FG, you support Arsenal and you write a good comment and that is good enough for me.

71. London says:

Strong rumours going around.

“Croatian Brazilian Edurdo da Silva has signed for the Ukrainian soccer club Shakhtar Donetsk. Details with a rich club owner Rinat Akhmetov. Agreement was initialed at 7.5 million euros, or about three million a year, according to Ukrainian media reports.”

72. Fatgingergooner says:

Cheers London

Would be gutted if Ed goes, he looked the real deal before his injury and it is an absolute tragedy that his career be overshadowed by the injury he got. His finishing was the best I’ve seen since Wrighty and I’m sure he wouldve gone on to score numerous goals for us. Seemed such a nice guy aswell. If the money goes towards a quality centre half then I can understand the sale but this is Arsenal we are talking about so Wenger will probs throw it at a couple of 16 year olds who won’t make the grade!!!!!!

73. dandan says:

And two more things we can agree on London is that you will always be fun to debate with and this is the site to do it on

Hi again Fgg,

Apologies for not responding sooner. Havard is hugely impressive and it appears he is a very adequate right back in addition to being able to play CD and HM.

75. Irishgunner says:

Would be sad to see Eduardo goes but it might be a good move for him.

76. Fatgingergooner says:

Has he ever actually played HM Rasp or are you just saying that cos he is a good ball player!? I know a lot of people say that Vermaelen could play HM but there’s a massive difference between having all the play in front of you as with defenders, and having the play all around you as with midfielders. I personally don’t believe that being a great ball player is all you need to be a midfielder, being able to find space and create space is a massive part of it and I think it’s fair to say that not all defenders possess that ability.

77. dandan says:

The thugs win again Irish, refs need to get a grip and FA get tougher with suspensions

78. Irishgunner says:

Dandan – I actually think he came back pretty okay from the injury, I think the disgraceful hounding he got over the Celtic penalty has effected him no end, just my own opinion.

Fgg,

He played all last season as HM for Nuremberg in the Bundesliga.

80. Fatgingergooner says:

That’s good news.

If the reports are right from yesterday then maybe we don’t need another DM. Tbh I can’t see AW buying one anyway as we have Eastmond in there aswell and Wenger won’t want to halt his progress as we have seen on many occasion with other club youngsters

81. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all – are we all looking forward to Sturm Graz ?
    Thank god the season’s up and running.

82. London says:

Hi Chary

We are looking forward to every Arsenal game. I find myself up State Connecticut next to a lake for the opening game of the season but now with the wonders of blogging I got onto the main Arsenal site in New York which is called Arsenal Station by the way and I was advised that they have their own bar in NY now (The Blind Pig) that shows all the Arsenal games….so it is a six hour round trip into the city for me….Can’t wait.

83. Irishgunner says:

Evening Chary 🙂

Yes, I was suffering withdrawals for a few days ha ha

84. goonermichael says:

Hi everyone
    Had a nice time yesterday great to meet Chary, Rasp and see peaches again. Next time I think I’ll get a seat I’m too old for staniding 🙂 . Chamakh’s boots were probably the worst I’ve seen. I liked the red barca banner.

85. charybdis1966 says:

Hello London, Maire & GoonerM.

I didn’t see the anti Barca banner,was it in your stand GoonerM?

Do you think Rosicky’s new hair cut suits him Maire?

London, although we decry the choice of Austria as a venue for pre season training it is a very agreeable part of the world scenery wise. The Alps are only second to the Himalayas for breath taking mountain landscapes – both places I’ve been lucky enough to visit.

86. Hi Michael – can’t you do something about Chamakhs hair? Were you part of the ‘chamakh chamakh chamakh’ crew? Nice to see you again too

87. dandan says:

you rate them better than the Rockies and the Andes.

Then Chary.

88. charybdis1966 says:

Hiya Peachy, lovely day yesterday I thought.

4-nil win,fine beer, decent weather and delightful company, what more could a gooner want ?

89. Irishgunner says:

I’ve not seen a picture of it yet Chary.

My stream was too bad yesterday and I can’t find pictures of Rosicky anywhere.

90. To do the same every week chary 😀

I can’t wait 😆

91. charybdis1966 says:

Dandan – the Alps because I see the connection they have to my favourite composer(Anton Bruckner) and the Himalayas for their cultural significance to me.

92. Irish – he looked ok, just lost the floppy bit.

93. charybdis1966 says:

Let’s hope so Peachy.
    Maire – I think you can see his newly cropped hair in the training pictures that were on Arse.com last week.
    If anyone’s interested my report is ver on the septic site now here :http://www.7amkickoff.com/2010/man-at-the-match-chary-new-signings-revealed-in-4-0-win-at-underhill/comment-page-1/#comment-22447

I put a link over to here also with those clever hyper links in text thingies. See if you can spot it.

94. Irishgunner says:

“he looked ok” Rosicky always looks more than okay … well except that time he looked like he was anorexic 😦

95. Irishgunner says:

Oh no Tomas what have you done???? 😯 Why?? WHY?? 😥

96. charybdis1966 says:

Maire – we saw that girl Chesney’s kissing in that picture selection.

Me and Raspers were marvelling at her stupendously long legs when we all passed her near the turnstiles before the game – Peachy was less than impressed with our reaction.
    I can’t imagine why.

97. Irishgunner says:

Peaches was probably upset that somewhere Sol Campbell was finally getting married off. I think it hit her hard poor dear.

98. chary – you and rasp said you hadn’t noticed 😦

I have been difficult to be around today I have to admit 😦

99. Irishgunner says:

Might be needing to change the banner on 7am kick off if the rumours are true

100. charybdis1966 says:

Ah, but those legs, good grief, like Briggite Neilsen’s in Beverly Hills Cop II.
    It’s why I said “It must take her ages to shave her legs” – a rip off of one of Eddie Murphy’s lines 🙂

101. charybdis1966 says:

The picture on the banner changes each time you log on though Maire – I’m sure if Eddy does eventually go he may get taken off.
    Mind you I think Flamini still shows up there.

102. They were an absolutely amazing pair of legs – I have to admit to being impressed.

Off to read chary’s report

103. charybdis1966 says:

When you get to my age, you can only sigh and move on Peachy.
    Leave a comment if you can when you go to the septic site please.

104. Nice report chary and thanks for the link 😉

105. Irishgunner says:

LOL well if Flamini is still up, then Eddie is there to stay.

106. Irishgunner says:

I got Eboue this time 🙂 It could be like a game.

107. I got Eboue too – have you ever seen Frimpong play Irish?

108. Irishgunner says:

I’ve only seem him play for the Youth squad Peaches – never for the big boys as far as I can remember.

He looks a big, strong guy though.

109. I don’t think he’s actually that big but he’s a tough cookie – he’s the same shape as Eboue and goes on mad runs 😆

110. Irishgunner says:

😆 Hopefully we’ll see a bit of him this season.

I can be a bit loose with the term “big” – it could mean tall, or he has muscles – I meant the latter 🙂

Evening all.

I seem to have missed all the action on here today.

Putting it all into perspective, yesterday was just a warm up.

Interesting to read both sides of the debate about Theo between dandan and London.One point you both missed is that the man himself prefers to be a more central player not a winger.

We were playing Barnet, and good to see some crosses into the box but surely if that was the instruction why was there never anyone there to meet them and if there was no one there why not look up and look for another option, such as a cut back.

Chesny had next to nothing to do, but his distribution was very thoughtful and he oozes confidence.

Djorou wouldn’t be my first choice pairing, and as far as haircuts go, I have enough of my own thanks 😉

112. Ok, muscles as opposed to height – certainly not of the slight variety that Arsene has liked upto now.

113. London says:

Excellent match report Chary…very classy.

114. Hi kelsey – are you ok?

Theo did get to play 20 minutes or so in a central role and obviously he was more in the game then.

We reckoned that the boots – purple with lime – and the hair gel were copied from Nikki B 😀

115. London says:

“Why not look up and look for another option, such as a cut back.”

You would think….how do you do those smilely faces the one where the eyes look up to the heavens. lol

Hi kelsey.

116. Like this London : roll :

Touche

117. livearsenal says:

Hey ice write up, I missed the match, and this is the best write up I’ve seen of it so far. I wish I could have seen Nordtveit and the new signings. I guess I’ll just have to wait a little longer.

118. livearsenal says:

*nice

peaches, in a word NO

120. Hmmmnnnnn sorry to hear that 😦

You’ve brightened Londons day though 😉

121. charybdis1966 says:

Cheers for the thanks on the septic site for my match report London/Peachy.

122. You’re welcome 😀

123. charybdis1966 says:

Peachy, I’ve just found out what those elasticy vesty type things I saw the players put on yesterday were.
    They’re the GPS tracking devices – I thought they were back support/braces.
    There’s a pic of it on the super slim Nasri here : http://goonertalk.com/2010/07/18/gps-tracking-system-makes-its-debut-against-barnet/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=gps-tracking-system-makes-its-debut-against-barnet

124. London says:

Nah, I have seen those before, one of the teams that played in the Emirates cup last year had all their players wearing them….they are used for tracking heart rate etc…it is a fitness thing….a monitor

125. charybdis1966 says:

London, don’t you think if a player falls on their back it could cause a bit of discomfort or even a minor bruise/injury ?
    They seem rather bulky to me.

Theres a NEW POST