Keeping the Pride if Cesc stays

Good for Mexico, France need a miracle now to get out of their group so says their hapless manager Raymond Domenech. He looked almost as stupid standing on the touch-line at a loss for how to improve his team as  Shteve McClaren did under his umbrella.

Make no mistake, the French side is still packed with world class players, but with divisions in their camp that stopped them playing for the shirt and having cheated to get to the World Cup finals its probably right that their journey ends quickly.  What I find worrying is the manner of their departure. Footballers should play for the shirt, club or country, whatever is going on behind the scenes between other players or their feelings about the manager and his decisions.

The management of the French Football team has to take reponsibility for leaving Domenech in the position knowing that he’s failing to get the team to play for him, but equally, the players have to look at themselves for failing to put in the effort. If this can happen at International level, it can happen at club level too.

I’ve moaned about Arsenal players not doing their job properly, not working hard enough, not earning their money on the pitch. I’ve always felt that the relationship that exists between Arsène Wenger and the Arsenal players is very special. They want to play for him, they want to do well for him – the fact that he’s the manager of Arsenal comes second. The young men that he recruits into our team will have a love of Arsenal because of him too – because of the way our football has developed under his management. I feel, when the time comes,  we will need one of his disciples to carry the torch into the future, but thats in the future.

The feeling that there may be disharmony in our camp if Cesc stays is a real one. Certain sections of supporters and the media will be waiting to pounce on anything that looks like Cesc or any of the other players aren’t pulling their weight. Arsène Wenger is going to need all his beloved psychology to maintain a stable club and team. I would be disgusted to think that our players were not pulling on the red and white and playing with pride.

Les Bleus should be ashamed of themselves this morning.

107 Responses to Keeping the Pride if Cesc stays

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

2. Morning gnarley – is that Comment? or just plain comment

3. charybdis1966 says:

Peachy, that’s like the bit in one of the Jennings books(by Anthony Buckeridge) when Jennings & Darbishire speak to some French fisherman who keep asking ”Comment” – and they say “Why do they keep saying they want to comment but don’t say anything?”

4. gnarleygeorge9 says:

It said “leave a comment” so i did 🙂

BR from previous post, are you imagining me to look a bit like this minus the corked hat 😆

5. gnarleygeorge9 says:

You’ve got me mixed up with Les Patterson BR.

6. Excellent image gnarley – I’ve always thought you must look like that 😉

7. SharkeySure says:

Looking good Gnarley, well better than when we last saw you anyway….

8. aj says:

I think supporters can be too quick to put 2 and 2 together and ending up with 500. There is not a lot of evidence that there is great disharmony in the Arsenal camp. It looks like Adebayor created some and was quickly shipped out. I get the feeling that Gallas causes a fair amount of friction but it looks like he is going too.

I really don’t believe that Cesc will cause any problems.The only comments that I have read from players state (a) if is a very important player for Arsenal and they want him to stay and (b) the decision on where he plays is his choice. All professional players are in the same boat and understand the rules very well and I am confident there won’t be any grudges, whatever he decides.

What concerns me a little is that Arsene still sources so many players from France. The origins of the players who dominate world football seems to go in cycles. In the early 1990s, it seemed to be Italy; in the late 90s and the early part of the new millennium, it seemed to be France and now it seems to be Spain. France seem to be struggling to maintain status and, if you look at French players playing around Europe, most are disappointing. They have lost their Va Va Voom.

9. aj says:

Not quite sure what happened in the typing there. I meant to say “Cesc is a very important player for Arsenal and they want him to stay…”

10. charybdis1966 says:

Good points there aj, the most ripe hunting grounds for new talent appear in cycles and it does seem Spain is the current one for creative/attacking players.
    Personally I feel we should be looking at the eastern European players for strong, no-nonsense defensive players.

11. kieran says:

well said aj i agree the french players a serious let down ie diaby sagna ,these types of players are not and never will be world beaters but then again i think that nasri and clichy are top class and will no improve next season

I wonder what wenger was saying during his commentary for french t.v.

it is not anti arsenal to suggest that so many of our players are just not consistent game in and game out.The proof is there for all to see…

i agree with chary, that maybe we should be looking at the easten block countries for no nonsense players who don’t get injured every few games.

i left my thoughts about yesterday,on the previous blog,this morning.

I think we should look to the Germans for consistency !!! (a little morning joke)

I believe Mertesacker and Schweinsteiger would be ideal for us, but can’t see AW splashing that much cash.

GG. Sir Les is exactly the picture I have of you (dressed as Steve Irwin) I have been privileged to see Sir Les “perform” many times.

He is a true Ozzie legend

Morning all,

I agree peaches, there was a missing ingredient in the French performance last night. We have witnessed similar scenarios watching Arsenal – particularly towards the end of last season.

I am beginning to think that the so-called £30-40m kitty was just spin. AW has said we need a defender, we are not close to signing anyone but he expects to sign a player before the end of the WC.

I expect the player to be Koscielny who we apparently don’t think is worth more than £8m. This may be based on the fact that Lorient only paid 1.5m for him a year ago.

Either he’s really good and we should pull out all the stops to sign him, or he’s not a £10m player and we should be looking elswhere for better quality.

What will actually happen is that the negotiations will de drawn out and we will eventually get him towards the end of the transfer window at the best price we can.

16. arsenaldejectedfan says:

i dont agree…the french arsenal players let us down & now they have let france down.they dont want to play for wenger they are scared of breaking a fingernail..we have turned into a spineless team all reliant on fabregas.every body always saying fab is arsenal but he is a snake.we built him up only for him to shave his eyebrows & flirt with the spanish whore club. i also blame wenger & the board for selling all our top players to barca all the time. nowe they are our pimps & they think they have divine rights over us.messi is the only baller the rest are living off him. fab wont even get in first team anyway. we should just sell him now,he is no different to ade but most of u bias & see him as an angel.our captain is a sell out,NO APOLOGY

Arsenaldejectedfan. Happy Days eh 🙂

18. London says:

gnarley

It might seem as though I disagree with everything you say but yet again I have to tell you that I disagree with your 9:37

19. 🙂 London, morning

20. London says:

Morning all again

Good, thought provoking post peaches, I don’t see any reason why there should be tension in the dressing room if Cesc stays; he is the only truly world class player we have and one of a handful that give us and the squad a real possibility of winning silverware. As for certain sections of supporters ready to jump on his back, they are the people that the title “Gooners who hate Arsenal” was coined for.

Rasp

Is your last paragraph a compliment, a criticism or simply an observation? I have been trying to work it out.

Hi London,

Just a weary statement of fact 😦

22. London says:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I’m in that kind of mood as well, I’ve been trying to work out why and the only thing that I can come up with is that Diaby looked so average last night and we know he has such a pivotal role to play in our forthcoming season.
    Some people are concerned by Denilson, not me, at 22 he is still a back up player with potential but Diaby is older, he no longer falls into that category he is supposed to be doing it now, just as alarming he has never shown the slightest sign of being a leader; he should have been driving his team on last night but instead he lost the ball more times than he found a team mate……very worrying.

23. goonermichael says:

I think RVP is as “world class” as Cesc. If we could get £60m for Cesc I’d sell him but if he stays I think he’ll put everything into his game. I don’t think he’l cause any trouble.

24. London says:

Morning GM

I think your right I was feeling a bit negative earlier. By the way I don’t think Cesc is going anywhere. I read El Mundo Deportivo (the Barcelona sports paper) and it is interesting to note that the bloggers are turning against Cesc they are realising that they don’t need him, the tide of opinion seems to be now focusing on David Silver.

25. goonermichael says:

Morning everyone btw

26. Irishgunner says:

Afternoon all.

Peaches – I’m doing an article on the French national side for Bleacher report so is it okay if that is my comment rather than writing a massive comment here?

Germany playing well again but Serbia are well set up.

27. dandan says:

Morning all, Nice article peaches….. Now come on you doomers, bloody hell there is world cup going on out there, South Africa is full of Managers and players, scouting, holidaying, Acting as pundits, (or upholding their Wimbledon heritage by flogging tickets to touts)
    Where is anyone going to get the time to negotiate,have medicals and agree contracts until the Main part of the WC is over.

Cheer up for Christ sake you are being told we will buy, the buying season is 10 days old, give yourselves and the club a break, one minute you agree the media are pants and the next you are doing the job for them.whinge whinge whinge get a life lads, we could be bloody Liverpool, then what would you say.
    Rant over

28. SharkeySure says:

Well said Dandan.

29. dandan says:

Fine article Irish and a very good read, thanks for sharing.

Interesting today is the 70Th Anniversary of De Gaul’s famous speech calling the french to arms, perhaps they should have read that to them last night. Anything would have done better as you say than that crackpot manager.

30. Irishgunner says:

Cheers Dandan 🙂

Feck Bleacher Report anyway – they keep changing headlines and now lock us out so we can’t change them back. They took out my “sacre bleu” part – feckin Americans >:-( what do they know about saaaaaaawcar?? 😉

31. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I wonder what Franz Beckenbauer has to say now about England’s style of footie 😆 Ha! Ha! Big moyth strikes again.

32. gnarleygeorge9 says:

*mouth

33. Irishgunner says:

I think the Germans were unlucky to be honest – the ref ruined what was a good game.

That Klasnic for Serbia is a good player.

34. SharkeySure says:

Irish….sacre bleu they mofodifrd your report cos it contained aforeign word. Quelle surprise…ops strike that as well !

Its bloody hilarious the inability of Anmericans to try and embrace or understand anything further than the end of their own noses.

I’ve noted the changing of many a film title, purely for the American market. With the substitution of any subtle or oblique references in the title for something more obtuse or in your face.

Anyway, no comment yet on what I’m sure is another splendid article, as I’ve yet to read it.

35. Irishgunner says:

😆 Sharkey

Just a few days ago they changed my “4-0 hammering” headline to a “blowout” – who the hell uses the word “blowout”

36. Irishgunner says:

The main reason why Americans will never embrace football is because they refuse to acknowledge it as an international sport.

For heaven’s sake they call the superbowl the “world series” or something like that – its not “world” if it only contains one country.

37. SharkeySure says:

I agree the ref and Germany. It started out as a very good game with both sides making a real game of it. It was still a very watchable game thankfully.

‘Blowout’ lol.

Ps.I think ‘World Series’ is actually baseball, and I’m not sure why they haven’t changed it, if only to stop the rest of the world laughing about it

38. Irishgunner says:

I think you are right regarding the baseball – ridiculous whatever sport it is. “World series” 😆

They are 1-0 down now.

39. charybdis1966 says:

S Sure I think there’s an urban myth that it’s called World Series because one of the original sponsors was the “New York World” newspaper; sadly it’s due to people believing the competition draws the “Best baseball players from around the world”
    Funnily enough, in the early part of the 19th century cricket was as popular in certain parts of eastern USA as baseball.
    Anyhoo, I like the Septics now – you have to get past the easy targets(of ridicule) within them to see the bigger picture.

40. Irishgunner says:

Have you ever seen the youtube video from WC94? The game between Ireland and Italy in New York with American commentary?

Its hilarious the words they come out with and half way through, Ireland suddenly become England…

41. Irishgunner says:

Good goal by Donovan.

Is there a bigger picture Chary?

Donovan is having a good tournament, that goal was AA’ish.

Whilst our AFC boys are struggling the ex- Man City boys are doing very well….. Samaras, Elano, Robinho (almost ex), Fernandes etc

43. charybdis1966 says:

Well Radders, that’s a topic for a whole different blog and it’s rather too political for here. Of course I’d be happy to elucidate in person when you make your way down to Ashburton Grove next.
    I’ll only hint that I applaud Denmark for doing something France are thinking of doing also……yes, deliberately vague(and I don’t mean looking like they will exit the World Cup.)

44. Irishgunner says:

Good reply from the USA.

Chary. I think I get you , is it a “veilled” reference to something?

This a cracking game improved by an awful ref !

46. charybdis1966 says:

Exactly Radders, I always knew gooners were the most insightful chaps around.

lol Chary

Really enjoyed that game, best contest so far

Sadly, I am going to a 10 yr old’s birthday party during the England game and he hates football…. must be gay !

48. goonerwife says:

Oh, some American haters. Original. Im pretty sure we Americans know that football is an international sport. Why do you guys care so much anyways. It hasn’t been part of the culture, so what?

49. Irishgunner says:

I love America actually – just wish that America would accept the terminology and nuances of football that’s all.

I care because I care about football and think its a bit sad that a nation as big as America isn’t a power house when it should be.

50. goonermichael says:

Hi BR how are you?
    I’m going to my nephew’s school production of bugsy malone instead of the ingerland match next wednesday

51. Irishgunner says:

Oooh, sorry if ye discussed it already but has anyone else seen that the 6+5 rule is no longer going to be introduced.

Goonerwife. Being irreverent is no indicator of hatred.

Generally speaking, Americans lack the ability to laugh at themselves and your comment is a case in point.

Great thanks GM. Not happy about the idea of pizza, jelly and coke for dinner!

54. irishgunner says:

David James in goals tonight.

Hope Rooney can get a few goals.

55. dandan says:

HI Guys. Did you know that baseball is big in Japan and they have a world series too. I arrived at the airport mid day and there was four hour journey to my hotel because, they were holding a reception at my hotel for the world champions winners of the Japanese world series. Just shows how daft it is.

Irish what changes are they making to the 6 + 5 rule please

56. irishgunner says:

From what I heard Dandan its been put on the shelf for now but they are going to look at doing something like it in the future.

I’ll see if I can find a report.

57. dandan says:

Thanks Irish the premier league version is better I think and suits us.

58. irishgunner says:

Yep because its the squad and not starting XI.

Evening All
    Have just got back from the US. Everybody’s aware of the WC and lots of people are watching it – unfortunately the Eng-USA game confirmed what a lot of the US critics say about footy. There is a diehard US opinion (mostly among non-immigrant middle aged American men) that the sport does not have enough scores or set plays to ever really catch on. However, I would say 90% of the Americans I talked to, on hearing my British accent, immediately wanted to talk about the WC.
    Today’s game will have helped things a lot – it sounds like it was a cracker from a US perspective, with a good dose of refereeing injustice thrown in for good measure.

60. irishgunner says:

Evening Rocky – USA should have won, their 3rd goal was ruled out for no apparent reason.

Cheers Irish
    Really enjoyed your DB10 piece yesterday – especially your pay-off line (“would you fly if you could walk on water?”). He certainly has god-like status in my eyes.

Do you have a prediction for Eng v Algeria tonight? I think England will labour but will win 1-0 or 2-0. But I don’t expect a pretty or exciting game.

Evening everyone,

dandan, re your comment earlier about ‘doomers’ (not a term I use), what will you say if I am proved correct?

It’s just a dose of realism. If everyone on here had to put their house on it, how many would bet against Koscielny being the only other major signing this summer?

I can’t think of anything Arsenal related on which I’d be willing to bet my house (except that RvP will miss at least a third of next season through injury).
    But I would bet a good few bob that we’ll bring in at least two new players (in addition to Chamakh and the Dutch kid) and more likely three.

64. irishgunner says:

Thanks Rocky 🙂

England should thrash them to be honest. I’m expecting a 3/4-0 win.

The only other player I think is a possibility is a GK, = Chamakh, Ebecilio, Koscielny, keeper

….. all that will change if we sell Cesc, but I don’t expect that to be the case. The only possible wild card could be Joe Cole if he decides family/location/wengerball is more important to him than money.

67. dandan says:

Now then Rasp that is three scenarios you have just given, but it wasn’t you in particular I was Getting out, it is just the downbeat mood that people have.

I will very surprised if he only buys one player. two defenders at least I reckon, Cesc to stay as well I think.

Irish what price could I get for us to win the league at the moment.

Chamakh, Koscielny, another CB, DM, GK ( and possibly Joe Cole as per Rasp’s analysis at 6.47 – although I think that would only happen if we sold a midfielder).

69. irishgunner says:

One minute and I’ll go find out

We’re going to lose Gallas, Sylvestre and probably Sol. If that happens I’m sure he’ll buy two CBs, probably one he really fancies (Koscielny) and one other mature, inexpensive CB with Prem experience.
    I have a feeling we’ll get Melo in midfield.
    The one I’m least confident about is GK, but on balance I think he’ll buy a 30-something stopper.

71. irishgunner says:

Paddy Powers = 13/2

You guys are deluding yourselves. The club has the perfect get-out … the WC! Players that do well will be too expensive and those that don’t, we won’t want to sign. We won’t sign 3-4 more players of first team quality trust me 😉

I disagree Rasp. Time will tell.
    There are plenty of good players who are not at the WC.

Also, AW has a track record of signing players around World Cups: Suker, Henry, Gilberto, Rosicky (signed just before the 2006 WC, but still…)

75. irishgunner says:

Ladbrokes = 7/1

76. SharkeySure says:

Chary 3.22 (better late than never), World series an urban myth.

www. WorldSeries. com says otherwise 😉

We will see as you say Irish – I shall break the habit of a lifetime 😳 and say “I told you so” if I’m right!

78. dandan says:

cheers irish, bookers think we have a chance then

All of those signings were before the building of the stadium and the ‘financial prudence’ that has stifled our transfer dealings of late.

rasp,

I will bet you half my house that we do sign 2 or 3 players. Early days yet. 🙂

Have to agree that The States were robbed of a third goal.

I still maintain that this ball is a disgrace.How many clean saves have we seen in the first week, hardly a high ball caught by any keeper,they nearly always fist it out, or flap or miss it.

81. Rasp – stop it, you’ll spoil your post 🙄

anything other than a clear two goal victory tonight,will to me show we don’t have a real chance.On the other hand, there have been some unpredictable results so if things come together we have as good a chance as anyone.This is known as hedging my bets.

Every team has shown their frailities,be it in attack or defence.

83. That’ll be the one with the title I.T.Y.S 😆

84. irishgunner says:

Rasp – what did I say?? You confusing me with A.N. Other?

85. irishgunner says:

6/1 with William Hill

I’m not writing a post peaches!

No you didn’t irish – sorry, I don’t even know who I was responding to?

87. Not right now rasp but you’ll be wanting to I’m sure 😆

88. Enjoy the game everyone, I’m late now and will only catch the 2nd half on tv – catch up later

89. irishgunner says:

Laters Peaches 😀

Half time and i am lost for words.What a poor,nervous display.Is rooney fit ?. Most probably still win the game, but do the players really look up for it, or has too much football caught up with them.

91. goonermichael says:

shouldn’t those princes be at the germany game?

92. goonermichael says:

He’s overrated Kelsey

Hi GM,

am i imagining it, are the crowd whistling at England when they have possession.

94. goonermichael says:

I’m not watching either Kelsey. I’m at work

good judge mate.

96. dandan says:

What a load of rubbish, bugger it, I am off to bed, footballers? bunch of powder puffs

Well, I thought we would play badly and get a 1-0 or 2-0 win. Turns out I was way too optimistic…

98. SharkeySure says:

England – consistently the most overrated ‘team’ ever. Are they even a team..??

So long as the possession players like Huddlestone and Barry are rated behind the ‘Hollywood’ players like Gerrard and Fat Frank..there’ll be no change in England’s fortunes

Peter Crouch, gangling oddity though he is, has an excellent scoring rate for England. Joe Cole is the only player apart from Rooney who can do something really unexpected… one gets a few minutes and the other is not even seen.
    We look pedestrian and lacking in creativity.

100. gnarleygeorge9 says:

You’re the Ingland army, Ingland army, La La La La La La. Or should it be Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn 😆

Tonight we will go out, its doesn’t matter coz the powers that be in Oz will do something to make us come back even bigger next time. & Summer is on its way & The Ashes will be coming home.

Blimey, for a nation that eats, drinks, sleeps footie, that performance must be hard to swallow 😉

What an inspiration David “Look @ me” Beckham is proving to be. Sitting on the bench with the look of a male model. I bet he gives the boyz a rev up @ half time, NOT!!!!

101. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I think we would all agree, roll on Liverpoo away, coz the WC just doesn’t cut it 😉

102. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Tomorrow morning, this will be where Australia’s WC hopes will be flushed 🙂

103. London says:

Changing the subject like Johann Bendtner can change direction.

Nice turn but shame about the pass. Let’s hope for more end product tonight !

New post …. just a few talking points