Samba de Denilson

If there is one player who divides the Gooners it is Denilson. A young man in whom Mr Wenger continues to have faith in whilst the vast majority see nothing above the ordinary. Why?

Some history. Denilson was born in the poverty stricken favelas of Sao Paolo, raised by his father – his mother dying when he was 10. Footballing ability kept him out of the drug gangs though many of his contempararies died in street gun battles. This is a tough kid. He came to Arsenal on the back of fine performances for Sao Paolo in the Copa Libertadores, as an 18 y.o. reserve team player the fee of Β£3.4m appears very generous to say the least. Arriving at Arsenal with no English, he must have been terribly homesick and fearful. Denilson seems to be a very shy lad and has consequently struggled to establish his persona on the team.

Denilson has played over 100 games for Arsenal which comes as some surprise. In fact he scored on his 100th appearance – the cracker against Standard Liege. He would seem to be an integral member of Wenger’s squad and as such it is interesting to analyse his input, because many do not see how he improves the team.

AW says of Denilson that he is a cross between Rosicky and Gilberto Silva. He can play “the Invisible Wall”, and be creative. He certainly has a powerful and accurate shot. It is often pointed out that statistically Denilson is one of the most efficient midfielders in the PL, his pass completion is excellent, he is one of the most succesful tacklers and his pitch coverage is also very good – though it is in this area that Denilson has come under the most scrutiny. That the referee beat his trackback for the Rooney goal at THOF last season opened him up to damning condemnation, this was proof of Denilson’s laziness and lack of application. Poppycock. Lack of concentration – certainly, rank poor defending – definitely, but laziness? Not in my opinion. Denilson is one of the hardest working players in the PL ….. and his stats prove it πŸ˜‰

Of course people say his excellent pass completion is due to him passing sideways and delivering short balls to Cesc or Nasri/Diaby. Well, that is his game and what he is paid to do, Cesc has better vision and part of Denilson’s job is to get the ball to his Captain as often as possible and as quickly as possible.

Our no.15 scored 5 goals in 25 appearances last season and all were from outside the box. Surely this is evidence of his value to the team, for aside from RvP, who else shoots?

What Denilson lacks is the ability to impose himself upon the game, his slight physique is a major negative compared to Song, and he hasn’t huge pace. Nonetheless, he is a fine tackler and it should be recalled that he at just 22 y.o. Β he is very young for a DM. Plus he has suffered with back injuries over the past 2 seasons which have hindered his development.

I am not suggesting that Denilson is the answer to our DM problems, but he is a fine back-up and will hopefully continue to develop. He was our 6th highest scorer from only half a season’s games and that from a deep lying position. Furthermore he will surely learn to concentrate for 90+ minutes after his MU humiliation.

As to his future at Arsenal there must be some doubt. The purchase and initial development of Ramsey will caste a shadow upon Denilson’s future. Ramsey (assuming a full return to fitness) is a wonderful prospect and sure to be an integral member of the first 11. He has what Denilson lacks – visibility – you know when Ramsey is on the pitch, whereas Denilson like Silva is “invisible.” Will Denilson accept a bench role?

I see a fine player in the making but a player in the wrong League. Sadly for Denilson, he is too lightweight for his position in the team and Song has proved this. I would keep him for another couple of seasons to see if he bulks up, and to shepherd in the arrival of Ramsey. Then sell him to Spain where I would expect him to have a fine career.

135 Responses to Samba de Denilson

1. London says:

I couldn’t agree more BR

Morning all.

Another excellent read.

Morning Raddy,

Great article, that is a very fair assessment of Denilson. I don’t think that ArsΓ¨ne wants players to ‘bulk up’ necessarily, he appears to rate stamina as more important than power.

3. London says:

gg9

To answer your question.

I have wavered over whether Cesc will leave this summer or whether he won’t but now I am convinced that he will stay and that is even if Spain win the World Cup.
    Barcelona didn’t need him with just Iniesta and Xavi but with the 20 goal success of Pedro this season it makes even less sense. In short they don’t need to spend a mountain of money just to have someone on the bench…….although if we were dumb enough to accept 35 mil it would have been.

4. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Sensational post BR. And might I add, if The Arsenal had a world class keeper, less goals would be conceded, & Denilson would look better.

I’m not convinced by Denilson, yet, but IMO he does appear to be a bit of a scape goat πŸ˜‰

Just changing topic for a second, does anyone else get the feeling that this World Cup is jinxed after the trajic death of Siphiwo Ntshebe and now Mandela’s granddaughter.

That continent has suffered so much and it always appears that there is a brutal price to pay for any good to happen.

Morning

I am not convinced either, and seeing Denilson rise from the bench in preparation doesn’t fill me with excitement.

Nonetheless as GG says, he has become a scapegoat.

Rasp. You are right, but you know what I meant – perhaps I should have written “strengthen”

7. beardy says:

I agree Denilson has looked a good player in some games and terrible in others. In my opinion he is not really suited to the English game but he is still young and has time to develop if he stays fee of injury.

Morning Raddy, I wasn’t being picky. Peaches stood next to Denilson at the Emirates press centre and was shocked by how slight he was. Michael Owen bulked up and increased his upper body strength in one of his long injury lay-offs, maybe Theo should be doing the same this summer?

9. pete smith says:

Great to see a positive article on this guy. Well done!

10. James says:

I never thought of Denilson as a DM he is more of the players that play between Song and Fabregas than as a DM. He knows how to defend and can join up in attack.
    He’s more of a box to box midfielder and should be competing with Diaby and other midfielders for a first team spot next season
    Song is the only true DM we have,Diaby and Denilson can play there but they dont have the meaness or the roughness for it. Eastmond looks like a great prospect for that position
    Next year we will probably play 4-4-2 because of the amount of strikers we have and he will fit in just fine with Fabregas or Diaby beside him.

Rasp, I didn’t mean to infer you were being picky !

In bulking up a player loses speed and more important reaction time, as such strengthening should be the aim. Flamini and Mascherano are not big chaps but are tigerish in the tackle.

12. GunnerPete says:

Very good analysis of Denilsons worth to AFC….As a man I like him and as a back up player I like him…but he is never a regular first eleven player.

I think Ramsey, Lansbury, Coquelin, and 1&2 others will overtake him this season.

His downfall is his lack of pace when trying to recover from mistakes as per Rooney goal. Perhaps thats because he covers too much ground per match?

13. Mickey D says:

Another of his strenghts is his ability to intercept and break up play.

He was man of the match for the Arsenal when he came on as a sub against Barcelona in the Grove.

I think he needs to up the aggression and impose himself because he does seem to have it all.

I think Ramsey is more likely to replace Fab longterm – Denilson’s competition comes from Song and Diaby.

Welcome James,

That’s a great comment. I’m sure Arsene asked Denilson to play the DM role – break up play, keep it simple etc etc in the Gilberto mould, but as you say, that is not his natural game any more than AA is a lone striker.

15. gnarleygeorge9 says:

London

I think you are bang on. He will stay πŸ˜€

16. andy says:

Spot on. The problem is not Denilson, He has imo coped admirably with far too much responsibility over the last few years. In a period where he should have been learning from a more experienced mentor he has been thrown in to do all the donkey work for the team. If i’m honest he probably isn’t good enough to be a long term player but at a time where we have had no option the young Brazilian has done a fine job. He should be a squad player but whether he could go from being a first choice to being cover i dont know.

17. Ezra says:

Well said man! My only question is that how would Ramsey be a threat yet he is an attacking midfielder. If we are to deploy defensive formation am affraid Ramsey is not there yet and plus he has like the whole of next season to recover to full fittness, so i think with a decent run of game Denilson can stake his claim.

18. andy says:

To me Ramsay is not a dm. If any1 should be threatened by Ramsay it would be Diaby.

19. pressplay says:

well written but poor in my oppinion. This years Denilsons goals were long shot outside the box but more than half were diflected in some manner , which makes them more kind of lucky than scored on purpose, but i will admit that he aint scared of shooting and thats whats i like bout him .But sadly all cheers for him stop there on my behalf. His tracking back is TERIBLE. Never seen worse than his. When he plays against some world stars in the middle he doesn’t only gets exposed , he seems like out of place. Like I always think “why the hell is he even in the squad”. He gets outpaced by more than 70-80 % of the players he plays against, he gets outmuscled, his tackles are more rude and unintended than the opposite. When you say he is invisible , I agree, but he is invisible also in the worst manner of all, he hides at any 50-50 ball. His passing even high in percentage is low in efectivness. He can pass only backwards and sideways. Long balls and through ins are having the backwards efect – opponent steals the ball , makes killer counter and we get left with only the keeper to save us , which we all know how it ends. Denilson is poor in most of his attributes. He is the living proof of that statistics is not a exact science. I will give it to him though , he is a decent squad player. But every time i see him play i know we can suffer for his mistakes

20. dandan says:

Good morning all another fine article Raddy

Denilson in my opinion is a fine young player who has held down a tough job while still developing, had we had less injuries he would have had more breaks to recuperate but instead has been in at the deep end and occasionally found wanting , but then can anyone name a player who isn’t. Even Paddy didn’t always get it right but no one doubted him.
    Arsenal fans to my constant frustration, Have always it seems, had to have a player to deride and I like others on here go right back to Jon Sammels. At present it is Denilson, but should he leave no doubt a new one will be found

21. SharkeySure says:

Great post Radders, some very good comments as well.

Denilson has his faults, but the abuse he gets is way over the top.

5 goals from DM is pretty good going, all from distance as well. If only he were a bit taller and a little bit stronger !

22. Ezra says:

Last season but one someone pulled up statistics of Denilson, can you pull up Song’s as per last season am sure that will paint us a picture for us to judge who is who. The difference in the two seasons is that Denilson played in a 4-4-2 system while Song has been playing in the 4-3-3 system the entire season. One thing i know Denilson has over Song is his effective passing of the ball and interception.

23. goonergerry says:

I love him and want him to stay. People have given him dogs abuse without realising that he often carries the can for the lack of defensive organisation in the whole team. Denilson has to improve aspects of his game- I admit I was very disappointed with his contribution against Spuds away. Was he injured really? I want to see more commitment from him- more aggression-because I believe he has the skill- better close control than Cesc. On his best days he is a really good player- but seems to rely too much on those around him- it is a confidence issue.

24. forza forza says:

Denilson is poo,i hope santos snap him up quick time.

25. SUGA3 says:

morning all πŸ˜‰

come on, Denilson? he is too lightweight, weak and slow to make it in the Prem…

getting overtaken by a bloody ref is one, laying off Sidibe (yes, Sidibe) is another of many…

stats don’t show when he landed on his arse after being brushed off the ball right after one of his bazillions of interceptions…

and I could just carry on…

Morning SUGA,

I think ‘toughening up’ is something that a few of the squad require. I think pressplay had a point as regards Denilson not tracking back, but again I think you could accuse Nasri, Diaby and AA all of the same thing.

27. KM says:

Denilson is a good lad

However i think at present he should only be a squad player. We need another DM who can play a bit because Diaby is not a player who can play for a whole season, he needs to be rotated intelligently to get the best out of him imo. Ramsey is crocked and he should not be included for our midfield options for nxt year. The joker in the pack is Lansbury imo. he seems like a good passer and can handle himself in the middle of the park against big DM’s.

In our midfield 3 supposing Cesc stays, this is what we need:

—- Cesc
    DM——-Song

Diaby can play the Cesc role or the DM box-to-box role, while Song sits as the holding player.

Lansbury will be fighting for the DM box-to-box role imo. Which leaves Denilson as the back-up for Song. Although Denilson is a gr8 interceptor and good tackler, he is too lightweight, and against a tough midfield opposition he gets rolled over/becomes invisible. He needs more grit and aggression, if he gets that fire in his belly he will become a hell of player

Morning KM and welcome,

A very well constructed comment, I haven’t seen enough of Lansbury to judge but he does seem to have a bit of an ego problem. Personally, I’d like to see a new player (Melo?) in the ‘DM’ position you show next to Song, but I am not expecting it to happen.

So, it looks like we agree….

A squad player for a couple of years and then a transfer ?

Fine comment KM

31. KM says:

Rasp

had no idea abt Lansbury’s ego problem. I knew he was a bit of wildchild in his teens, however i think he’s had to knuckle down and do some hard work at Watford on loan. He’l have to work even harder to get a midfield spot to compete with some of the best young talent in the world. I think ego can be a good thing if it helps you to achieve something, in this case being a regular in the Arsenal side. I dnt think Wenger would tolerate any brat in his team because if it did happen, he would get shipped out like many others before him

Maybe Eastmond will be able to fill the DM role alongside Song for games that require such a formation?

33. SUGA3 says:

Raddy,

nope, transfer straight away and replacing him with a squad player with presence to play Blackburns of this world…

Rasp,

Nasri, AA and Diaby are not defensive minded, like Denilson is SUPPOSED to be – different roles, different contributions to the play…

saying that, I’d dump Diaby as well…

34. KM says:

Rasp

i would love a DM like Melo or even Veloso who is not talked about as much but i dnt think melo would want to move to Arsenal as much as Veloso. Melo would only move for the top sides in the world (with a chance of winning titles), who imo are:

Barca,RM,ManU,Chelsea,Inter & Bayern.

We are nearly there but we just need some players who are in their prime. That will also create competition amongst the squad, which i really think is lacking atm in this side.

You’re right about the ‘shipping out’ policy KM. I suspect part of the reason Wilshere was sent to Bolton was to try to teach how to direct his aggression. He gave up on the likes of Pennant as a lost cause. We’ve seen with Rooney that aggression is part of his makeup and I think that is common to all ‘combative players’

36. KM says:

I feel that Denilson could really do with a season loan at Bolton because they play very physical football and there he would have to toughen up or he’d be eaten alive by the likes of Kevin Davies πŸ˜‰

Wilshere, Denilson & Vela to Bolton on a season loan.

37. KM says:

Rasp

i like the look of Eastmond but he looks like he’s been starved or has just come out of a concentration camp. He’s also a player who could benefit from going to a premiership club on loan…somewhere like Wigan because Martinez side plays good football too.

38. dandan says:

There we go Rasp, Ego problem so buy someone else, Would that apply to Rooney if he was ours?…. I remember a certain Charlie George…. OH he got sold for the same reason didnt he…..now that nice Mr George Graham we called him stroller…. didnt work hard enough….. Manchester Utd couldnt believe their luck…. on and on it goes.

39. terry says:

this is a very good artical ….. excellent analysis…a loan would suit him the most in my view…if he stay with us for many seasons to come he will become a good player ….but if he decides to go to spain he will become one of the best in the world…

40. London says:

Two seasons to see if he improves, rather than two seasons and then sell him; although, I suspect that is what you meant.

I like the loan idea, it seems so obvious now but it hadn’t crossed my mind before.

Thank goodness for that I thought we were going to agree for ever. Lansbury: ego? That is one of the most exciting atributes about him…..as I said before I am completely biased about this one…..I was a friend of his Dad.

41. London says:

I might as well carry the story on a bit, as I said I used to be a friend of his Dad (chav-sad) anyway, I lost contact but one of my brothers stayed in contact with their Family for ages and still would be if he hadn’t moved to New Zealand, I’m waffling…..my point: Arsenal signed Lansbury when he was 9, can you believe that? And the advice they gave his father was to get him involved in as many other sports as he can. The thought process is that there is a fear that the kids burn out and end up hating football. What is clear is that he is being groomed for greatness; he has already been Captain of England in his age group.

42. London says:

Why did my brother move to New Zealand, we would have been given the keys to the Emirates…..aaahhhhhhhhhhh.

43. andy says:

Melo and Song with Denilson and Lansbury as backup. That might make Cesc happier. Eastmond out on loan for a year or two.

44. Roy says:

Melo doesn’t want to join.
    I’d be happy for Denilson to captain the carling cup side or go out on loan. Bet we let him
    go on a free ala Flamini, Merida, Senderos…

45. gnarleygeorge9 says:

London

So your brother is a South Pacific Pom then. Tell him Robbie Deans has plans for his All Blacks. We are going to enjoy winning the WC in the land of the long white cloud πŸ˜†

46. London says:

What are you still doing up gnarley πŸ˜‰

47. andy says:

Are you sure Melo doesn’t want to play for us ? I know Yaya has said he dont wana but thought there was still hope for Melo.

Looking forward to seeing Vela play.

Come on Mexico

49. irishgunner says:

Thank fuck for Almunia – how shit is the Mexican keeper? His hands LITERALLY flap around the place.

Rasp – I hope my Henry post won’t be outdated after tonight. I thought they weren’t playing till tomorrow 😦 if he plays and scores it mightn’t fit well ha ha

Afternoon all πŸ˜€

Evening Irish

I can only think that Almunia has been coaching the Mexican GK.

Vela is playing well

Super goal….

52. irishgunner says:

Evening Raddy,

Yep – no stopping that one.

Vela hasn’t been as visible as Dos Santos but he has played some excellent passes, unlucky to be offside too.

Hi irish,

Yes, I thought the same, perhaps you can write an extra opening para if the France game changes anything. It’s a really good post, I hope it gets the attentioon it deserves tomorrow.

Dandan,

I wasn’t advocating selling players that are trouble if they have the talent – I’m a big Wilshere fan?

Can’t see Mexico coming back from that.

This GK is hilarious

55. irishgunner says:

Just saw the goal again – nicely worked. 3 passes then back of the net.

56. irishgunner says:

Cheers Rasp – I’ll edit it tonight either way because we’ll know if he has played or not. It’ll be okay as long as he doesn’t score a hat-trick, then it’ll need a total re-write ha ha πŸ˜€

South Africa are going for a second…. better game now.

Depends what type of trouble Rasp.

If AFC signed Joey Barton, I would be very disappointed.

58. irishgunner says:

Vela off – good game though.

59. irishgunner says:

Is he still at Newcastle?

60. irishgunner says:

Terrible defending.

Dreadful. 3 Mexican players unmarked!

Much better second half

62. dandan says:

I know you wasn’t Rasp. I was just pointing out we have a record of selling talented square pegs with miles left in their legs.

Oh I see dandan. I think sometimes the problem lies in giving these young players too much money too soon – the nightclub mentality sets in.

64. irishgunner says:

Oh god I’m crying from laughing – Apres Match just did one of the funniest skits in ages. I’ll see if its on youtube later and put it up.

those Vuvuzelas drive me mad.I can safely say neither team will win the WC. i thought Vela was the vela we all know, “the nearly man” but he has a nice smile πŸ˜‰ if you are that way inclined.

66. London says:

Irish

Are you still there? Vela good game? I must admit I only saw the first half and listened to the second on the radio but what I saw was an ineffectual wall flower. What did I miss ?

67. irishgunner says:

Still floating about London.

Good game I thought by Vela – he wasn’t in it as much as Dos Santos but when he did get on the ball he made some clever passes. To be honest, I’ve lowered any expectations I’ve had of Vela but I think he did well enough today all things considered.

68. irishgunner says:

kelsey – About the Vuvuzelas – RTE (Irish channel showing the World Cup) got complaints by phone call and e-mail about the droning in the back round. I think the presenter was a bit upset that he had to explain they couldn’t just turn it off ha ha we’ll be immune to it after a few days – hopefully!

London,

we keep agreeing, sort of πŸ˜‰

irish, can you imagine the noise in the stadium.

I don’t know about you guys but my picture lacked brightness, it was a very dull picture on my screen.

70. London says:

Must be Arsenal supporters unfamiliar with there being “Atmosphere” at home games πŸ˜‰

71. irishgunner says:

I didn’t take much notice of the picture to be honest – it seemed fine on my tele.

72. irishgunner says:

What is this “atmosphere” you speak of London?

Just sit down and watch – no clapping, no singing, no chanting, no form of supporting of any form please πŸ˜‰

Picture was fine for me (Scandi technology), perhaps Kelsey should move on from Valve televisions. My wife kept telling me to turn down the sound because of those Vuvuzelas

Please, please do not bring them to the PL.

According to Danish TV, Nik will be out of the first game v Holland., so no RvP v NB. He has a calf strain!!

Vela disappeared in the second half, but looked lively in the first. I give him a 6/10

Next up WG, Gael, Abou and Thierry (if any of them start)

75. dandan says:

I know a dark place where I would love to shove those bloody Vuvuzelas. or does the make me a miserable boring old sod

76. irishgunner says:

I reckon Sagna and Gallas will start. Gael will be on the bench cos the Manc bitch is captain so will start, Toulalan probably instead of Diaby and TH14 is anyone’s guess.

Dandan – No it doesn’t, they’re bloody awful.

Imagine a long distance flight home full of kids with their vuvuzelas !!

78. irishgunner says:

They’d never get through security surely………

A long distance flight home full of kids is bad enough without some vuvuzelas to boot.

79. dandan says:

Raddy I once flew from Japan to Heathrow with a Baby screaming in a seat in front of me, so no I don’t want to imagine your scenario thank you LOL

80. irishgunner says:

Dandan – I had THREE screaming babies the row in front of me from Singapore to Heathrow, THREE!!!

irish,

malouda and henry not starting. it’s true, not a wind up.

82. dandan says:

Irish, you have my sympathy, but considering your age it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility it will be your baby I am cursing before long LOL

83. irishgunner says:

Kelsey – if you told me that Sarkozy was starting in goals for France I’d believe it Domenech is such an idiot.

Look here’s me being honest, I love the Arsenal guys and I hope they play well but if France lose I shall have a hearty laugh at that gopshite of a manager they have – MUPPET!! and also Patrice Evra I hate him and his girl’s name.

I’ll laugh at Domenech and Evra.

84. irishgunner says:

😯 Don’t frighten me Dandan – believe me, I’m happy with been an Auntie for now. Love my nephew to bits but love handing him back when he gets cranky too πŸ˜€

Domenech is into star signs,if I remember correctly and won’t pick certain players for that reason alone.

86. irishgunner says:

France: Lloris, Sagna, Gallas, Abidal, Evra, Govou, Gourcuff, Toulalan, Diaby, Ribery, Anelka.

i think those 6 months in australia have made you even more feisty πŸ™‚

88. irishgunner says:

He left Pires out before because he was a Scorpio.

Seriously, how do idiots like him get work?

89. irishgunner says:

πŸ˜† Perhaps ha ha

Going back to the SA v Mexico game, i read the ref was the youngest ever to get a call up for the WC, have a feeling there might be a few bookings tonight though.

Referee: Yuici Nishimura (Japan) you all remember him, don’t you.

92. irishgunner says:

Brady reckons Gallas is very unhappy he’s not captain for the World Cup.

93. dandan says:

Bloody hell ada is on the BBC panel. that will go down like a lead balloon

94. irishgunner says:

Did he do something in the game we should have noticed Kelsey? I thought he did well – you don’t notice the ref he does well although to be honest I got a bit bored in the 2nd half and didn’t really watch.

The ref for England’s game tomorrow is meant to be a trouble maker.

the ref was alright, as you say if you don’t notice him, he didn’t have much to do. It wasn’t a feisty game at all.

evening dandan, missed you earlier.

where are the f** controllers tonight ?

96. irishgunner says:

Henry would have scored that 8)

Be interesting to see Diaby tonight.

Govou just made a Bendtner type miss!

Is Lassana Diarra injured? If not why isn’t he playing ahead of Diaby?

99. irishgunner says:

He’s not in the squad Raddy – dropped out with some sort of stomach problem

Diaby is doing OK. Sagna solid but not getting forward too much, WG calm and collected ….. so far

101. irishgunner says:

Forlan has got the better of Gallas twice though Raddy.

True Irish, but he is still calm πŸ™‚

Diaby looking a quality player in this system, but playing only Anelka upfront is severely limiting France’s attacking options

103. irishgunner says:

Diaby is getting stuck in.

Ribery is doing well but he seems to want to do it all himself. At least Diaby is looking for options.

104. irishgunner says:

Its been played at a frantic pace.

Also have you noticed how like Nasri, Suarez is? Looks wise that is ha ha

I have Irish!

France have to bring on another attacker. Our boys are playing well

106. irishgunner says:

πŸ˜† People still complaining about the vuvuzelas

107. irishgunner says:

Dandan – you have fun listening to the words of wisdom from Barndoor on BBC? πŸ˜†

I’m going to stick with Brady on RTE ha ha

108. irishgunner says:

Uruguay really don’t want to attack. Is there ever more than 3/4 Uruguayan players in the French half?

They hoof the ball away a lot too.

Can’t blame them, it’s driving me nuts.

Looking forward to a better half, and a storming midfield performance from our young superstar!

110. irishgunner says:

It must be annoying for fans who have traveled to support their country and can’t chant their support over them blasted things.

111. dandan says:

Barndoor is ok Irish I cant understand a word he is saying, as a Japanese man once told me he speaks arabic English LOL

112. irishgunner says:

πŸ˜† Dandan

113. irishgunner says:

Lloris has got Almuniaitis.

114. irishgunner says:

Were the vuvuzelas been blown louder when Titi came on a good thing or a bad thing??? πŸ˜† just can’t tell

Poor second half so far. I blame the managers – safety first.

The shooting has been abysmal

116. irishgunner says:

Hope Bacary is okay, could have been a leg breaker.

Dreadful tackle on Sagna. Should have been a straight red

I may be biased but Diaby was France’s best player, I can’t recall him giving the ball away once.

119. irishgunner says:

Yeah he had a good game.

Domenech is on crack or something – he leaves on Govou who does SFA all game….

I don’t think I’ve to change my post for tomorrow Rasp – Titi came on but didn’t change much. The game was a bit of a non-event really, hope tomorrow’s matches will be better.

120. Hi Irish – did they not show Thierry’s appeal for hand-ball on Irish tv πŸ˜‰

You are biased BR, but you are right, but i still question his stamina for a full ninety minutes,he was awesome for about an hour.

dandan is right, ade is going for a world record as to how many words he can get out in aminute.

makes for an interesting group now.

Having said that, the overall French performance was very ordinary, little to no penetration and hardly a shot on target.

123. London says:

Diaby had a good game, I didn’t think much of the Diaby-Gourcuff midfield combo.

124. Hi kelsey – late night for you, r u ok? Is your daughter feeling any better this evening?

she looks like the lady in the iron mask, but it’s plastic. Thanks for asking.She is a bit better,will take afew days as she has stitches all over her gums.

126. irishgunner says:

πŸ˜† They did Peaches and we were kind of hoping it was a handball – our karma will come good soon πŸ˜‰

Ha ha they are just on about it again now in the studio πŸ˜† brilliant Bill O’Herilhy “He has some cheek doesn’t he?” Liam and the boys had a good laugh ha ha reckon it was the highlight of the game

the mask pumps ice through to heal the swelling, quite a clever device.

128. Even Gary Lineker said he had a cheek to ask for it…….

129. irishgunner says:

I think Henry was a bit embarrassed after he claimed it. He put his hand up and then seemed to think “oh, this is going to backfire on me” ha ha

It wasn’t a handball though.

Morning everyone.

What is going on at our club. As it stands we have lost the talented merida, and senderos has also gone.It looks like gallas is on his way out, campbell is still stalling and now the persistent rumours are that clichy has not accepted a new deal, let alone the on going saga with cesc.

You woke up happy Kelsey !!

The Clichy story is new to me. In all interviews he appears to be a committed Arsenal fan, quietly getting on with becoming a superb player.

It should be recalled that he joined us as a 17 y.o- and is an essential part of Wenger’s youth project. IMO he will stay for many years – unless Gibbs takes his place.

Wenger is fighting to hold on to his captain Cesc Fabregas, he is very likely to lose both Sol Campbell and William Gallas and with reports that Clichy is unhappy at Arsenal after talks broke down over a contract extension the Italians do seem very confident that Clichy will be playing in Serie A next season.

The Arsenal transfer policy appears under strain these days, they still refuse to authorise high wages and will not make huge plunges in to the transfer market and while the Arsenal fans applaud what Wenger has done at the club, they are now calling for Wenger and the Arsenal board to start spending some money to make the club competitive once again, something they have not really been in five years.

It is doubtful Wenger will listen though and in the event that Arsenal continue to refuse to match Clichy’s demands then it is likely he will indeed end up in Italy.

most probably another rumour, however this is not the first time i have read this.More arsenal bashing, i suppose.

Clearly written with an anti-Arsenal agenda. Yawn ………………

135. New post …….