Arsenal Apocalypse: Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3 … edited version

When Peaches suggested I write today’s blog my first reaction was: “Thanks: that’s like asking someone to DJ at a funeral, or sell futures at the OAPs’ home.” But here we are. Given how furious I was after yesterday’s game I was going to have a rant but, let’s be honest, you can find rants all over NewsNow today.
Instead I took inspiration from the title of a song by Ian Dury and the Blockheads, called Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part 3. If you’re too young to remember Ian Dury, then shame on you: you should have been born earlier. But don’t despair – go and see Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, a fantastic biopic of the Dury story, with Andy Serkis (he was Gollum in Lord of the Rings) playing the great man. This is not the place for a beginners’ guide to Ian Dury, but suffice to say he was disabled most of his life from polio contracted at the age of seven and died of cancer in his fifties. In between he produced an amazing, eclectic catalogue of songs full of wit, humour, irreverence, obscenity and an unquenchable lust for life.
One of them was called Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part 3 and was a list of things that made him happy. The ‘Part 3’ bit felt particularly apt as this is my third post on Arsenal Arsenal and the first two were relentlessly optimistic. So here goes, reasons for all we Arsenal fans to be cheerful:

• Arsene may not see much, but he isn’t blind.
  • The recent defeats remove any illusions Arsene had about his squad.
  • If Fabianski had played brilliantly ‘til the end of the season AW would not sign a new GK.
  • Robin VP is back.
  • Cesc will be back.
  • Ramsey will be back.
  • Chamakh is coming and looks shit hot.
  • We have a +11 goal difference over Sp*rs.
  • Blackburn have nothing to play for.
  • Fulham have nothing to play for.
  • Adebarndoor’s coming to town.
  • The club finances are better than they have been for years.
  • PHW says we have money to spend.
  • PHW is a comical old duffer.
  • Arsene says we have money to spend.
  • Arsene is comical when he flaps his arms.
  • We don’t have to play Barcelona again this season.
  • Sol. Nuff said.
  • No takeover of the club while the volcano is keeping Silent Stan in the USA.
  • Spain might win the World Cup playing BarcaBall (it’s like Wengerball, but with shiny silver things at the end).
  • Cesc and Ramsey are a shoo-in for the Three-Legged Race in the Colney end of season sports day.
  • Arsene doesn’t twitch.
  • We would never celebrate one derby league victory in 11 years as if it were the Double, Treble, Champions League and World Cup all rolled into one.
  • No matter what happens to Arsenal, even if we get relegated to the Arkwright’s Pistons League South and the Emirates stadium is turned into a cycling velodrome, we’ll still always have more class than those spiteful, embittered, inferiority-complexed, chip-on-shoulder, thumb-sucking gibbons from N17.
    We won the league on Merseyside.

• We won the league in Manchester.
  • We won the league at White Hart Lane.
  • We are the Arsenal so f**k off the rest.

· Footnote. When I was in rant mode, I was planning to run through the merits (or lack of them) of the players responsible for that sickbag of a performance at Wigan yesterday. I was going to use a line from another Ian Dury song (Plaistow Patricia) as my inspiration: it’s the opening line and goes like this: “Arseholes, Bastards, F***ing C**ts and P**cks.”
Keep the faith folks.
RockyLives

129 Responses to Arsenal Apocalypse: Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3 … edited version

1. charybdis1966 says:

Aaarrrrrggggggghhhhhh !!

2. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I still feel drained by Arsene Wenger & The Board. My mojo has gone as well.

3. charybdis1966 says:

That’s what I was trying to say Gnarley.
    How different it feels this Monday compared to last Monday, when we were laughing at the Spuds FA Cup exit.

4. Oskar says:

Same here gnarleygeorge9. Arsenal just makes me tired at the moment!

I am always the first one to find excuses as to why the team doesn’t perform but in these last two games I haven’t been able to find any and that frustrates the shit out of me. There is always the injury card but let’s face it everyone has to deal with them.

5. gnarleygeorge9 says:

chary

I’m flatter than a lizard drinking 😦

6. drew10 says:

Great Post, I was beginning to think everyone who supported Arsenal was writing their blogs whilst standing on the edge of suicide bring in Holloway.

Yes the performance was woeful, yes the squad needs work and yes Wenger knows this, But seriously the amount of Wenger Out comments I have read this morning is ridiculous.

7. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oskar

I feel empty

8. drew10 says:

Wenger – Doesn’t see much but isn’t blind – brilliant!

9. Scylla says:

At last a blog where the monickers of the contributors demonstrate some clasical knowledge. I shall call myself Scylla. I’ve been moaning about this team for yonks but everyone says we play beautiful football. Up to a point; up to the opposition’s 18 yard line to be precise. Then…nothing. What do we practice during the week? Passing till we get to the opposition penalty area? And we have no idea how to stop the opposition even if they are a team from the bottom six.

10. gnarleygeorge9 says:

drew

I agree Wenger out, but in between I want the words get your wallet

11. drew10 says:

I have got to the stage now where I just want the season to end.

I can then watch the world cup, not because I care about England but because I want every team with an Arsenal player in it to go out in the first round.

The thought of RVP playing and getting injured sends shivers down my spine!

12. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I had a big session on the sauce the night before so @ 0-2 I was nodding off on the couch. Then I woke up it was 2-2 & that Wigan geezer was opening up the angle of th goal & went bang. I honestly thought I was having a nightmare 😡

13. B.B.K says:

WENGER OUT,take these clowns with you

14. charybdis1966 says:

Welcome Scylla – good to see someone who knows where I picked my on line name from! It seems a lot of our team are either afraid to take responsibility for a forward pass/shot in the final third or they have that instinct trained out of them.

15. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I hope you mean Koko Almunia the Clown BBK

16. gnarleygeorge9 says:

….& his side kick Polish boy

17. Rasputin says:

Morning all,

A simply brilliant post Rocky in the circumstances.

Yes we can get angry, yes we can attack other supporters whose views do not reflect our own, but we are all deluding ourselves if we think we can stop loving the Arsenal no matter how sad and angry our team has made us feel.

18. Notagoon says:

So what happened to the “spirit and togetherness”?
    Or was that just b*llsh*t coming out of mr wrinkles mouth again?
    Another year’s worth of dust on that trophy cabinet.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

19. gnarleygeorge9 says:

& don’t forget flat, mojoless & empty Ras as well 😦

20. drew10 says:

gnarleygeorge9, Surely this season he must now know that he has to spend.

I am of the thought that we do not need major reconstruction or indeed a huge clear-out, but some strengthening in key areas.

Chamakh we know is coming, when asked if a striker was on the shopping list Arsene said “A striker no, We have already done everything we needed to in regards to a striker!” If we can add a decent, experienced keeper (I don’t think Hart is the answer.) Someone like Frey perhaps and install Schezny at number 2 then that would sort that out.

We obviously need a new CB Cahill is being linked with us today, this would be a good signing he is young English and hard as nails. I would personally like to see us go for Samba as well.

The Melo rumours have started up again also.

If all of these come off we wont be too far away next season.

21. charybdis1966 says:

BBK – Fabianski is clearly a juggler, the same as a clown(i.e. a circus entertainer.)

22. gnarleygeorge9 says:

That bloke laughs like a baboon 😆 He must be a Spud

23. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Melo? I feel that as well.

24. charybdis1966 says:

I think he’s a hyena Gnarley, baboons are far too intelligent to be Spuds.

25. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Chary

🙂

26. gnarleygeorge9 says:

But Spuds do tend to drag their knuckles along the ground

27. Mick G says:

When is anyone going to give Wigan some credit?

28. drew10 says:

I do think one thing though we need to create a monster atmosphere against Citeh, whilst we may all be pissed off with the players at the moment. We are all still ‘The Arsenal’ and we should create a theatre of noise to ‘welcome’ back Adecashmore!

29. Notagoon says:

I ain’t a “spud”, but I did enjoy the master class they gave your gay boys the other night, and some of their singing was just fantastic.

30. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Try a Wigan blog

31. dandan says:

I am sitting here with a numb mouth having just returned from my second hour in the dentists chair in a week, laughing my head of at Rl’s super post while drinking coffee through a straw.

Now come on Gooner’s lets get a life, you ain’t dead yet, you could be a Liverpool fan today, how good would that be, or a spud contemplating Arry doing a Lester Piggott next year and becoming the royal trainer, training at her majesty’s pleasure.

Be fair if we had to lose to some one be glad it was Wigan at least they play football under a decent manager and will stay up now at the expense of Hull.

Look around we have money to spend, remember(though it is difficult sometimes) that Arsene knows and will spend it for us.

Just off to play Rod singing Tim Hardin’s reason to believe

Morning all have a nice day.

32. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Hung on for a 2-1 isn’t exactly masterclass 😆

33. charybdis1966 says:

Notagoon – so you enjoyed paedo songs eh? Says a lot about you then doesn’t it.

Well done, your parents must be so proud of you.

34. gnarleygeorge9 says:

😆 my mojo is back. I’m off to take the piss out of all the debt riddled clubs who, take it up the naught form their rich sugerdaddy owners. Blimey thats probably your poxy club Notababoon 😆

35. charybdis1966 says:

Mick G – I’m happy to give Wigan credit, they clearly wanted it more and it’s good to see they won by laying the game and not just hoofing it up field or by trying rough house tactics. I take my hat foot them – and great strike by Insomnia, BTW.

36. charybdis1966 says:

* oops “hat off to them”

37. tommystout says:

well maybe some credit is due to wigan, we were shit and had lack of fight, but hats off to them for continueing to try and play football the right way despite there cowfield of a pitch. New pitch and get rid of the rugby and they get the thumbs up from me!

38. 7masters says:

Got up in middle of night the pain was too much to bear, promised myself to forget Arsenal and never watch live game ever. Now more newsnow until end of seasons, watching Arsenal in any game now make me nervous wreck. Also Wenger is not blind but he is not a tactian or quick enough to see problems on the field. Removing Walcott gave Wigan licence to Raid just as denying him ball against Barca freed messi to do maximum damage.

I am sorry but Wenger should now go and we need someone else fresh to change things around. I have looked at our list of youth players and none is going to be anything special maybe under 16 squad. The spine of team RVP,Fab,Song,Walcott,Nasri,Arshavin,Sagna,Tv, Kieran Gibbs, and maybe others need good players to play with.

The Goalkeeping position is a must, then followed by at least two or three defenders to partner TV in defence, JD is to injury prone and we also need cover for Fabregas. They should also be clearout of any player deemed not hood enough for Gunners standard. Everyone knows we need good class of experienced players to get these team over the hurdle.Sol Campbell has shown that fans where right all along.

Man just thinking of these game hurts deep and hopefully it wake up call to Arsenal.

39. tommystout says:

Not read that before, so thanks for the link SFH – inspiring stuff.

40. London says:

You managed to make me laugh Rocky…..Thank you, brilliant post, very much appreciated.

41. dandan says:

SH the fellow aint wrong is he. Super article thanks for the link

42. blaze gooner says:

i was furious to see Arsenal play such badly in the second half and more furious as I witnessed another goalkeeping mistake at Arsenal!
    I still think there’re reasons to be cheerful.
    1) A good goalkeeper is definitely coming to Arsenal.
    2) The so-called young gunners learn another lesson — to focused on the pitch for 90+ minutes! (how many more lessons on focus do they need?!)
    3) I really think Wenger is going to buy really good players this summer. I hope it comes true!

Super post Rocky. I wondered who would get the poisoned chalice!

If AW saw that we had problems with ball retention early in the second half (which he stated in his post-match) Why leave the substitutions until after Wigan score? And why bring on a fresh faced kid with no PL experience coupled with a player who buckles under pressure.

Highly illogical.

But as has been said the silver lining is that a decent team is saved from relegation.

44. charybdis1966 says:

And so it starts…..I’ve been on Arse.coms ticket exchange and there are now suddenly tickets available for the Shitty game. I was checking frantically last week and hardly saw any – now there’s an abundance. I wonder why?
    I blame the players 80% for what happened yesterday – a lack of talent can in some way be compensated for by honest endeavour. Barring Sol there was little of that on view from the team in red & white. The casual attitude the players have shown time after time is sucking my love for Arsenal out of me.
    Thanks a lot guys.

To be fair Chary, there was endeavour shown. NB, Sol, Fishface TW all worked hard. As did Nasri and Eastmond.

Who would you single out as not giving 100%.?

You need a love transfusion (don’t we all). Hopefully received at THOF this w/e.

46. Brigham says:

Plaistow Patrica – that song brings back memories of when I purchased the vinyl albume “New boots and panties”, put it on my record player with my Nan present in the room and that track started. If the world could have swalloed me up that afernoon!

As for yesterday – it was embarrassing and just about sums up our season in all honesty. Not enough passion or drive from the players at all and I thought the Spuds game was bad, yesterday was 100 times worse in many ways, but not as hurtful as losing to the knuclek draggers up the road.

Clearout required before a ball is kicked in anger next season.

47. charybdis1966 says:

It’s not lack of effort for the whole Wigan game I meant Radders(I exempted Sol from this criticism btw) lack of effort during key moments of matches, the last half hour yesterday, first half against the Chavs, first half against Barca. A lack of pressing the opponents when not in possession since the first two months of the season.
    It also annoys me that after so many defeats that could have been avoided by a bit more desire, the lesson does not seem to have been learnt.
    I’ll be having an alcohol transfusion at the grove on Saturday anyway – that’ll calm my anger at least.:)

Brigham, I think that opening line got quite a few of us into trouble.

And now we have both Scylla AND Charybdis posting here – scary.

50. Franchise says:

hey guys dont want to saound like I told you but i did say that we should be careful cos Arsenal might be enripening our hearts for a heart break

my own analysis of the last 4 league games

4 points from a possible 12 (who would have thought?)

3 crucial opposition goals conceeded as a result of Gking errors

K.Phillips
    Rose
    Bramble

a game drawn in stoppage after leading 1-0 and another lost after leading 2-0 until 10mins to go

I thought this Arsenal side couldnt surprise me anymore I was wrong

51. charybdis1966 says:

Are you going to be at the Tavern pre match on Saturday Fran?

When you put it as starkly as that Franchise it’s really depressing. We seem to do so many things right but always fall down in that vital area called heart/spirit/bottle…

53. Franchise says:

hey Chary I dont think so DDM is billed to see this game and Im not in the mood to spend any more on Arsenal this season

54. Rasputin says:

Heart/spirit/bottle yes …. and the lack of strong spine to the team. New GK, new CD, Cesc/Song and Chamakh may be enough.

55. charybdis1966 says:

Well Fran, I’m not really in the mood either, but I got the ticket before the Wigan game when there was still hope. It’s going to feel like a wake to me on Saturday, the death of another season rich with promise, but ultimately a let-down.
    At the Wolves game my older son asked me if we were going to see the “really tall Man, the one who’s head I can’t see” – so Fran, you will be missed!

56. Brigham says:

Off topic, but with both Scylla and Charybdis in here, we just need someone called ‘Messina Straits’ and all hell could break loose.

As stated before on here – HMS CHARBYDIS was a ship I served on when I was in the Royal Navy and she was affectionaly known as Cherry B.

57. Brigham says:

*should be HMS CHARYBDIS – oops.

58. charybdis1966 says:

LOL, Brigham, the nearest we got to that was all the talk here of “Messi” a few weeks back.

59. Franchise says:

ha chary maybe next season or the fulham when your boy would be closer to my head 😀

60. Brigham says:

Very true chary, could turn into a right ‘whirlpool’ of comments. lol

61. charybdis1966 says:

Here’s my list of “outs”:
    Almunia, Vela, Eduardo, Silvestre.

Sent on loan:
    Fabianski, Denilson

Ins:
    A GK in his late twenties, one in his early twenties.
    A Cb & a Dm in his mid-late twenties.

For the non classical scholars on here, Scylla and Charybdis were dragons from Greek mythology, said to guard either side of the Messina Straits.
    It feels a bit like Arsenal have been caught between two dragons these last few seasons – No Money on one side and No Bottle on the other. I’m optimistic that, this summer, we will have slain the No Money dragon. As to the other one… well, who knows?

63. Brigham says:

Follow the link to Chary to see a picture of your namesake when I served aboard her…

64. charybdis1966 says:

Since the result yesterday there are more tickets available for the Fulham game Fran, but I’m too cheesed off to seriously bother about Fulham. How about joining me & Peachy at the Barnet pre-season game then? I might not be so depressed by then.

65. Franchise says:

yeah that would be fun chary

the unveiling of chamakh, villa, buffon, boateng (hamburg), hangeland , melo and hazard

66. Franchise says:

😀

67. Franchise says:

dreams 😀

68. charybdis1966 says:

I wonder if that will be one of the ships used to help in the efforts to get Brits stranded by the volcanic ash back, Brigham.

69. charybdis1966 says:

Dreams are all we have left now, Fran.

70. Brigham says:

Alas, the Cherry B was decommissioned many years ago and we are no doubt shaving with bits of her by now.

71. charybdis1966 says:

Oh right Brigham, I hope they gave her a good send off.

Have just seen that you had to re-post because of my liberal use of Anglo-Saxon English… sorry about that. It’s nothing to what was coming out of my mouth during the last 10 mins of yesterday’s game.

73. Rasputin says:

Hi Rocky,

Yes we’ve learn’t something. Most search engines were OK but NewsNow is easily offended 😆

Rasp. Any thoughts as to how we make finding AA easier through Google?

We are not on the first 2 pages when googling Arsenal Arsenal which seems strange.

75. dandan says:

Good evening all, Thanks for the laugh Rocky needed that this morning LOL

Arseblog used to always have the line “it’s Fu**ing Excellent” written right across the title of his blog, although I notice he’s stopped doing that now (presumably for the same reason).

Cheers DD – you know the saying, if I wasn’t laughing, I’d be crying.

78. dandan says:

I am with you mate, I thought when I posted that article last week that it was probably the calm before the storm.But like all storms it will blow itself out

I have made a small list of players we should sell.

Fabianski
    Simpson
    Almunia
    Diaby
    Eboue
    Silvestre (not renew contract)
    Senderos (the same)
    Eduardo
    Traore
    Gallas
    Randall
    Merida (he is going anyway)
    Sunu

Just a small list of players not good enough to play for us. Either through poor application, consistency, talent or age.

I would give Theo and Denilson another year.

It is time to chop the deadwood.

We need to sign a hardman backup to Song. 2 CB’s. A GK with experience.

Evening chaps

And could the signing of Chamakh herald the departure of Arshavin?

81. dandan says:

Evening Raddy Hells bells mate when you put the boot in you dont bugger about do you

82. GhostFace says:

Well done Rocky. I didnt laugh but it sure made me feel better. Its a brilliant post. Thanks alot.

BR

Denilson should be on that list.

Theo deserves another year because he’s had a stop-start season but im not sure Denilson ever started?

83. Rasputin says:

Hi Raddy,

That’s not really my field of expertise, maybe Alfa can suggest some ways of gettting us higher up the googlr hitlist.

84. GhostFace says:

I though Chamakh and Arshavin play 2 different positions.

DD. Like you I am getting long in the tooth, and like you I am not prone to knee jerk reaction.

I believe the above players have shown over the course of a few seasons that they will not reach the consistent levels of performance needed to propel us out from the second tier of CL teams.

There are still places for the kids who have the potential. JW, NB, TW, CF4, Gibbs, TV, Ramsey, Chesney, Eastmond etc

But we need to get rid of players that AW is forced to turn to when we have lengthy injury lists. I would rather see the blooding of young talent.

GF. Maybe so. I thought Chamakh played on the left. But if AW plays AA as a CF, then who knows!!

On the subject of Chamakh. Have we ever had a Moroccan player before?

88. GhostFace says:

Consistent levels of performance? Then Diaby should be in the conversation although i dont want him sold.

Chamankh is the best aeriel threat in Europe Surely it would be a waste to play him any where else apart from CF?

89. hey BR – how is the hype over there ahead of the big fight this weekend?

90. dandan says:

BR. I would be very sad to see Diaby (whom I rate),Denilson or Traore go, nor do I think he will sell Big Al but keep him as number two until his contract runs out and the other keepers have gained a bit more experience, probably on loan.
    JW may well be elevated next year if Mr Coyle’s assessment is to be taken seriously.All we need i feel Is a goalkeeper and a CB plus Mr Chamakh if he is as good as his hype.

91. dandan says:

This is dependant on Gallas Staying of course

BR, I agree with DD – keep Almunia as number 2 GK until Sneeze can take over that role.
    Other than that it’s hard to dispute any of the names on your list apart from Gallas, who is a world class CB. Unfortunately I think he’s going anyway.

SfH. Needless to say the papers predict a Kessler win. He is huge news over here, but I was delighted when Calzaghe thumped him.

Having said that Kessler seems a decent bloke. Speaks 4 laguages (German, Danish, French and English). He lives InMonaco so isn’t seen in DK too ofetn.

94. BR – i was at the calzaghe fight and was mighty impressed by the big dane, have followed him since that admirable defeat.

i am bigtime behind him for this weekend as froch is a total BLEEEEEP and a half.

I would make Mannone the No.2 until Chesney matures. He did OK when called upon.

DD. I rate Diaby as well, but the man is so damned unreliable he drives me nuts. Consistency is a must in a MF’er. A forward can get gat away with a dodgy game or two, but Diaby plays in a fulcrum position and the tempo of the team depends upon him.

OK, just for you I would give him another season. 😉

p.s. I would love WG to stay. The man is a superb CB. World class. But I believe he will reject the contract AW offers him.

SfH. You lucky blighter. I would love to have seen that fight.

97. was a weekend of madness in cardiff alright enough, seats we had were quite a distance away but the atmosphere was stupendous.

love kessler’s stlye, he got taken out by ward in his first super 6 fight, but with the new trainer and a baying home crowd this weekend, i expect a points decision in his favour.

will be a fight to savour as both men like to go to war.

98. is it on pay per view tv out there or free on mainstream tv?

Pay per View here. So I will not get to see it live (being a tightwad in the AW tradition!)

100. watch it on a stream via myp2p

the boxing ones are crystal clear without interuptions.

SfH. You really are a sports nut

Footie, Racing , Boxing. You must be a single man with a well paid job!

102. 😆 my wife thinks so aswell

103. dandan says:

Have never understood the fascination of watching guys batter each others senseless, maybe that’s why I don’t like Big Sams teams either

104. dandan, they call boxing the sweet science, it’s not a streetfight or bare-knuckle brawling.

watching 2 real exponents of the game is a treat.

Talking of wives. I have to cook mine a dinner.

An easy pasta should suffice for a Monday night.

Sayonara

106. dandan says:

My brother boxed for England at Bantamweight as an Amateur, north east division ABA champion.
    Couldn’t stand watching him fight either

107. dandan, if you were to ever watch a proper fight with 2 boxers really going for it.. this weekends fight is a must see.

styles make fights, as they say, and the styles that clash this coming weekend are prefect for a real fight.

108. dandan says:

Fair enough SH hope you enjoy it, guess I am a coward at heart hate seeing anything hurt.

Hope you enjoy my friend

109. SharkeySure says:

Evening all,

Brilliant post Rocky, I think we all needed that.

Here’s a post I left on LG:
    Very good post Pedro.

Nothing more to say really, yesterdays result was as bad as it can ever get.

I defend this team from what I perceive as unfair criticism and always try to remain positive and retain a bit of belief, so yesterdays result is like an absolute kick in the teeth for me.

People go mad cos we’ve lost to Barca and I think since when is that a valid reason to start slating your own team, and I call for a bit of balance and perspective.

Then we fucking well go and do this …..at fucking Wigan !!!! Wigan..?? WTF.

Arsene not replacing Coco in Jan is up there with dropping Arshy from last years FA Semi. He shoud hasve beenin for Sorensen the minute that Stoke forst made enquiries for James, let alone on the last day when they actually bought Begovic.

I was actually in Casualty at the local hospital for the duration, and the BBC update as I went to the car was 2-2. I was fucking mortified. By the time I get in the car we’re 3-2 down. Unbelievable.

Even now I’ve only seen the goals, but I just cannot understand how this could happen.

Even as a so called AKB I’ve said all along that Arsene doesn’t instil the right ‘win or die’ attitude into his players, cos he’ll pick players again and again even when he has the option to send them a real message.

I’m trying to remind myself that we were challenging for the title until mid April, to make this all not seem so bad. Its not working.

Merida gets a fucking run out. Why??!!

Flapianski and Coco. There’s a 9yr old keeper in my sons team that I have more faith in.

Hear what you’re saying Sharkey. It’s hard for us optimists to keep believing right now.
    I though AW’s worst two decisions in that game were putting Merida on (because we all know he’s leaving, so has nothing to play for) and taking Theo off after they got back to 2-1 (it was obvious they were going to throw everything forward into attack – in which case having Theo available on the break would have been a really potent weapon).
    What truly guts me is that these players had a real shot at the title. Yet in the last four games – the ones where you’d think they would be bursting every sinew and fighting for every ball so that they could be called Champions at the end of the season – we have managed just 4 points out of 12. That tells me there’s something wrong psychologically.
    It’s just like last year when we were so woeful in the semi finals of the Camps League and the FA Cup. And like this year, whenever we have played the Mancs or Chavs.
    I still believe in Wenger and Wengerball, but we drastically need an infusion of moral backbone – players in the mould of Adams, Vieira, Keown, Petit, Parlour, Bergkamp. At the moment, with Cesc out, it seems like only Sol – the oldest member of the squad – still has that fire in his belly.

111. SharkeySure says:

Ray Parlour…perfect example of the spirit that we are missing.

I hope Ghostie’s not around, but I’d have Parlour over Arshavin.

I feel the thing we lack most is the ‘win or die’ mentality that the players you mention had. If players don;t have it then you either treat them in a way that makes them learn it, or you bin them.

Look at last seasons CL semi. How pathetic was AdeNuff in the first leg, even after all his pre mach ‘big talk’. Amazingly he started the 2nd leg only a week later, even though Nik B was an option.

Play shit, get picked again, so why would he change. Anyplater can have an off day, but his laziness in the 1st leg was really bad, even by AdeNuffs own very low standards

Sad but true, sad but true.

113. SharkeySure says:

Night Rocky

114. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I would just like to say thanx to Tottenham Hotshit & Wigan Athletic for awakening the sleeping giant.

Night Sharkey
    Gnarley – ha! We’re more of a Big Friendly Giant.

Some wise blogger said that this shows just how important Alex Song has become for the team.

And they are right. Hard to believe isn’t it?

And if the reports from Brentford are correct then Chesney appears to be the real deal.

Why protect him? If he is good enough, he is old enough.

Take Casillas or going back a bit Shilton (17yo when he started in Leicester first team). Chesney will have to handle the pressure sooner or later, and if not next season, what is the point of a loan deal?

Keep Coco as his no.2. Or sign Jaaskalinen/Sorensen as backup.

118. London says:

They can’t speak highly enough about Chesney at Brentford. The only thing that concerns me about that is their bar is low, very, very low.

119. London says:

Some of us got all kinds of abuse for suggesting that it was too early to write off Alex Song.

120. Morning London

‘their bar is low, very, very low’ great picture 😆

Yes,London,

some of us did!!

122. Without Song and Fabregas who I think were the biggest misses in those last two games who else do you think could have stepped up their performance?

I read somewhere that AW said the team were disorganised – lost their shape – Sol was the captain but he couldn’t really organise the mid-field could he?

123. Morning Raddy

I believed in Song its Diaby thats let me down because I changed my opinion of him following some great performances and then he went AWOL

124. Song is definitely our most improved player this season actually he was already improving at the end of last season …………

Whereas Diaby has been hit and miss for 4 years. Its not so much that when hes great he’s super great its that when he’s poor he’s really poor 😦

Theres a NEW POST