It’s FA Cup weekend and no doubt there will be a few Arsenal supporters who would prefer to be jumping in the car and making their way along a motorway to some third division ground or what ever that league is called nowadays; in fact, when I think about it, there are probably quite a few but no matter how many — they don’t include me. I am one of a growing number who are happy that we have this weekend off. This break gives the team more than just a much needed opportunity to recharge their batteries: it ensures that they avoid unnecessary injuries ahead of the all important game against Porto on Wednesday.

Wenger has clearly made a conscious decision to prioritise the Champions League over the fading glory of the FA Cup, rightly so, and not before time in my opinion. I am convinced that he looks back to middle of this decade and recalls the exceptional talent that he assembled and regrets allowing the FA Cup to divide and therefore dilute his and his teams’ attention away from the vastly more important Champions League.

Yes, we won our games and went on to make our annual pilgrimage to Cardiff, a city in which I visited so many times I still exchange Christmas cards with a certain hotelier on the outskirts of the town. But in addition to making trips to Wales I also went to many of the away games in European — I still do and if there were a choice between Stoke and Porto, there would only be one winner.

For too long, progressing in the FA Cup on weekends like this has provided Wenger’s teams with a false sense of security. It acted as a safety-net and therefore an excuse to be able to fail in the infinitely more important Champions League.

This should never be allowed to happen again, the FA Cup needs to be culled early; it must never again be allowed to act as a prop. No Arsenal team should be put in a position in which their total focus is taken away from the aim of winning the Champions League.

I remember watching the film Doctor Zhivago with my Dad many years ago and asking him why the Bolsheviks felt the need to kill the Russian royal family including the children, being a child myself at the time I remember the stark answer: to make it absolutely clear to everyone that there was no going back.

It has taken Wenger longer than he should to adopt this brutalist way of thinking about the FA Cup, I suspect that he regrets not doing it when he had the likes of Henry, Pires, Begkamp and Vieira. This group of players should have achieved so much more in Europe than they did and had their security blanket in the form of the FA Cup been wrenched away at an earlier stage, forcing them to give the Champions League their undivided attention, I feel certain that they would have.

The current crop of players, I am sure you would agree, couldn’t hold a candle to those which is even more reason why all their efforts should be focused on just one cup competition. I want the players to know the harsh reality that when they approach Wednesday’s game that there is no going back, there is no FA Cup safety-net, no security blanket, no fall back position; glory lies with the Champions league.

127 Responses to Bolsheviks Murder Russian Royal Family So That Arsenal Can Win The Champions League.

1. London says:

Good Morning and welcome to AA

A little something to read up there, hope you don’t mind the title, just a bit of fun, it made me chuckle when it first sprang to mind.

We are lucky to have so many talented posters on AA. Another fine read London.

As you know I agree with your thoughts on the FAC v CL issue.

The final paragraph of the post prompted a current v Invincibles team comparison. I was left with this … Who would you prefer. Pires or AA??

3. London says:

Morning BR

Hhhhmmm…..Who would you prefer, Pires or AA? That question does make you think, at first glance it seemed obvious but then I thought maybe…..

4. London says:

I have now finally become convinced that Marouane Chamakh will be an Arsenal player next season. I, like most supporters, would like an even bigger hitter but I am also one of those who have bought into the story that the likes of David Villa are simply not available. So, if we can’t get one of those then the next best thing is to get someone that will fit in with the rest of the team and Marouane Chamakh certainly falls in that category; he is talented enough to be respected but not so much, at this stage, so as to threaten. This season has proven just how many forwards are needed to get through an entire premier league campaign, rotation will be the name of the game.

5. Dublin gunner!!! says:

Great read there mate, lets hope that this rest for the players helps us, we should beat Porto

I have only watched Chamakh a couple of times & I have to say that unless AW lost lost faith in Eduardo, NB and Vela, I cannot understand why we would sign him. (Unless we are looking for a FAC team !)

By season’s end, our young strikers will have more experience and be a step closer to greatness. Of course there is the possibility that AW has doubts that RvP can return to be the player he was.

Or AW may have decided Eduardo is not going to make it in the EPL, though I think that would be harsh,

Signing David Villa I could understand, but another striker who is not a lethal finisher seems not only a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere, but also a slap in the face of what will be a terrific strike force (Theo, Vela & NB)

Welcome to AA Dublin Gunner.

I forgot to address the issue of rotation. I am not convinced by it. A stable first team wins … check out the Invincibles.

9. London says:

I hope you come back and leave more comments; we are a small but a welcoming community. Just in case you were wondering about the Valentines card? One of your fellow countrymen is a regular contributor, she goes by the name Irish gunner and is currently travelling in Australia.

10. London says:

BR

Ahhhh, I realise I didn’t explain myself properly. I agree a stable team is a team that wins things. My reference to rotation was meant more as an unfortunate necessity thrust upon us by injuries. I find it hard to imagine that similar problems won’t occur next season and so for that reason any new blood that is added to the forward line would be welcomed by me.

OK London. From what I have seen Chamakh appears to be an RVP style player. Skillful with an eye for a pass and lots of pace.

But if we really are to sit at the top table, we need to buy world class players. David Villa if available is such a player. We have the money. But do we have the desire?

12. London says:

I believe we have the money and the desire to spend it the only thing that holds that deal up, in my opinion, is David Villa’s lack of desire to come to THOF.

13. London says:

I should make clear that I do agree that we should be aiming for someone of David Villa’s calibre but if we can’t get such a player what do we do? The only solution as far as I can see is to try and sign someone who we hope will develop into the next David Villa.

14. RvP says:

^ I believe Villa himself admitted that Arsenal was his favorite club outside Valencia, and that he’d jump at the chance to join – which means it’s more of our lack of desire (or funds) that we didn’t go for him.

15. London says:

RvP

Welcome to AA

If you can find me one link in which David Villa has indicated that he was prepared to leave Spain let alone come to Arsenal then your suggestion would carry some weight and the criticism of the club for their lack of ambition would be valid but I don’t think such a statement has ever been hinted at let alone stated in an interview.

How could DV not want to come to THOF?

The man is clearly a Gooner, you can tell by the cut of his jib !

17. Perry Grovish says:

Big Raddy, dream on if you think Theo, NB and Vela will be a top-class strike force. Out of the 3 only NB looks like he’ll make it – I hope Theo does but at the moment he looks way off and Vela looks more suited to Spanish league.

18. London says:

BR

You played the ace, the coup de grace, that’s practically cheating how can I possibly parry a statement like: How could David Villa not won’t to come to THOF 😉

19. London says:

PG

Welcome to AA

I am working on the basis that is if Chamakh arrives then Vela will go back out on loan again almost certainly to Spain .

Hi Perry Welcome to AA.

My opinion, that’s all. We shall see.

Though how you can judge Vela on what.. 4 starts I cannot understand. He is still a baby and already is a central element of his National team. Plus he is going to the WC where hopefully he will mature as a player. I think he fits our style of play perfectly.

21. Rasputin says:

Morning all,

Excellent post from the bard of London 😉

A club of our stature must have a CL trophy in it’s history – it’s the only thing missing. Have we got the players to win it this season? London is quite correct, the team of the Invincibles era should have won the CL, somehow it didn’t seem so important at the time – maybe because we were being treated to such a feast of football every weekend it seemed inevitable we would win it one day.

I think Vela is currently a better player than Theo. He is pretty quick but has the ability (confidence?) to get past players with more than just pace and he is a good finisher. I’m sure he’s on a fraction of Theo’s wages so maybe that’s why the cynics amongst us believe Theo appears to be higher in the pecking order.

22. SUGA3 says:

good read London – I concur, we could have gone much further in Europe with THAT team if it wasn’t for the domestic cups, but hey, aren’t we supposed to compete on all fronts?

just my opinion, but that is what the big clubs do…

23. SUGA3 says:

Theo works well if he has no time to think: do you remember when he actually made the right decision, given the time?

neither do I…

24. London says:

Morning Rasp

I know you haven’t directly said this but some have: I find the idea that Walcott gets some kind of special treatment ie he gets the nod over Vela more frequently becasue he is on a larger wage as nothing short of ridiculous. Why should that possibly be?

25. irishgunner says:

😳 I ❤ U 2 Super Tom, Our Romance was meant to be secret 😳

😆 Rasp, great picture 😉 I vote it never gets taken down ha ha

Having watched Chamakh I actually think he runs the channels better than any one else we have. The nearest he would possibly be like is Bendtner not Eduardo or Vela.

26. London says:

Morning Suga

The big clubs compete on all fronts! I’m not sure that is true. No other country let their domestic cup competition interfere with their European ambitions, Barça and Real certainly don’t they put out reserve teams and have done so for years.

Good point London.

I don’t see the Italian clubs being hungry for domestic Cups either.

I do not deny that Chamakh would add to the team, however I think there are bigger fish to catch.

28. Rasputin says:

Morning again London,

The same was said about Ade in his last season with us. Unfortunately I never got to read your 600 word dissertation on my ‘Manager of Two Halves’ – but central to the article was the question of what are Arsene’s priorities. If you subscribe to the ‘businessman’ theory, then playing someone who is on high wages makes a little sense, if you think he is on a mission to develop players who he believes have potential, then it makes none at all.

29. Rasputin says:

Morning Irish,

Tomas emailed it to me himself and asked me to put it up 😆

30. SUGA3 says:

London,

by throwing the Stoke game, we have handed the FA Cup to Chavs on a silver plate, same last season in the semi…

Chavs and Mancs are still in one of the two domestic cups and I wouldn’t bet against them winning there 😉

I still have my doubts about this team being capable of going all the way in the CL, but I have made my pledge: if we win one of the two remaining trophies, I shall admit that the sun shines out of AW’s backside 😉

Irish you lucky girl 😆

I think Theo gets the nod over Vela for two reasons. Firstly hes English and Secondly hes English.

I don’t believe it has anything to do with money. I think that if Theo is a success he will be an Arsenal player for life whereas The Yummy One will almost certainly move on even if hes also successful with us. Theo could be our Ryan Giggs…….

32. London says:

BR

I would love Arsenal to land bigger fish but I have bought into the club’s spin that they just aren’t out there; I mean, besides David Villa, who else is there?

Suga

I am sure AW believed he played a team with enough talent to win at Stoke, particularly in light of the available (uninjured) squad that day.

Had we beaten Stoke we would have faced a very difficult game at MC, and we know what has happened up there in the past 2 seasons !!

As the squad matures I am sure we will have enough players to compete on all fronts (should we be able to hold onto them)

Not sure London. Like you I concentrate on Arsenal.

I have only watched Chamakh twice (French football is dull), – so my opinion is probably worth doodle -e-squat. But I do watch the Spanish league and Aguero looks fantastic but well out of our price range.

What about Benzema? He will be looking for a gig soon, should Real not win La Liga

35. irishgunner says:

Sorry I’m back again. I’m still dealing with my racists over on Bleacher Report 🙄

Rasp – He has my e-mail, could just have e-mailed it to me himself or given it to me in person 😳

I know Peaches ha ha.

36. Why would the game against Citeh have been any harder for us than it was for Stoke – are Stoke a much better team than us – I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. irishgunner says:

In terms of bigger fish we should look to land:

Akinfeev or Lloris.

38. London says:

Morning Peaches

Yes, that is the point isn’t it, clubs believe that British players are more likely to stay in Britain (Giggs, Gerrard, Terry) and therefore a greater emphasis is put on their early success.

39. London says:

BR

Benzema is a good call, Real will be bored of him and will be looking for a new toy to play with by the end of the season.

40. There you are Irish – Benzema too 😆

41. London says:

Suga

I don’t just have a few doubts about our ability to win the CL, I have many doubts about it but one thing I am certain about is that this break this weekend will greatly improve our chances of success on Wednesday

As for Chelsea winning the FA Cup, I care as much about that as I do about spuds winning the CC….irrelevant.
    The Holy Grail is the CL.

42. London says:

Do we get to watch Wilshire today against spuds?

43. irishgunner says:

Benzema is football only….well nearly football only 😉

Peaches you are reducing my credibility here, it suggests I am somewhat biased by physique which … ahem … of course, I’m not 😳

44. Surely not Irish, we know you well enough to know its all about the footballing ability 😆

I’m hoping we do see LJ against the spuds – hes a feisty one, he’ll enjoy playing against them…….

45. Rasputin says:

Back to the question I posed earlier – does anyone belive the present available squad is good enough to win the cL this year without several huge slices of luck?

46. irishgunner says:

It is too 😈

Rasp – if they are all fit then yes.

47. London says:

No team wins the CL without huge slices of luck but being totally focused on one cup competition surely helps improve every team’s chance of being lucky.

48. Rasputin says:

On the subject of the FA Cup and the focus of clubs in relation to their aspirations, the 3 clubs in financial trouble (Notts Co., Crystal Palace and Pompey) are all through to the last 16.

49. London says:

Yeah, LJ was just starting to find his feet against City in the week; he should be ready today to rip spuds apart.

50. London says:

Apart from Notts County the asperations of the other two are surely to earn as much money as they can.

51. Rasputin says:

Sven walked away from Notts Co. when he could have sued them for a lot of money – shame Sol didn’t do the same with Pompey.

52. irishgunner says:

Yeah Rasp I don’t get what Sol is at, its not like they treated him badly or he didn’t get enough money in wages off them.

If not for the club, he should drop it for the sake of the fans.

53. irishgunner says:

Oooh Bolton, Spuds is an early kick off, if Jack starts I might stay up to watch it.

54. The Champs lge is a cup competition and as such there’s always luck needed. How many of the other teams in the last 16 feel they will need luck to get to the final. We finished top of our group – easily – this season which is unusual for us.

Our luck will be in not meeting the chavs or the mancs. But are they the only teams we fear?

55. irishgunner says:

Forgot Wilshere can’t play cos he played for us in the Cup – well that answers that.

56. Oh shame – you can get some beauty sleep then 🙂

57. irishgunner says:

As up and down as we can be no team will want to draw us either if we progress.

58. London says:

Rasp

What do you mean about Sol? He should have walked away or he should have sued them?

59. This has made me laugh – someone found the blog by using the search ‘it doesn’t matter that you’re 5″ 11’ 😆

60. irishgunner says:

I need a lot of it 😉

61. irishgunner says:

Ha ha that’s weird – what were they looking for? Should I ask…

62. It does seem rather mean of him – hes very wealthy and probably not going to see his money so whats the point.

63. Rasputin says:

I think he should have written off the money he claims to be owed by Pompey. He’s got plenty and they’re in strife – I know it’s naive, but I’d like to think that most of our players would not have done the same to us if we were in trouble.

64. Rasputin says:

Haha peaches, maybe I should put up a box called ‘Fwank Lampard has large breasts’ – that should get plenty of hits 😳

65. Don’t you think thats interesting though, that someone didn’t remember the name of the site but remembered that caption on the photo – maybe it was TV himself 😀

I could never remember how to find arseblog but I remembered ‘its f****n excellent’ 😆

66. irishgunner says:

I always have to get here through Peaches Pad because Arsenal Arsenal just throws up the club site on google.

I could book mark the page but that’s be too obvious for me…

67. Good thing we had Peaches Pad then 😛

68. So the FA have said they aren’t going to bale Pompey out because clubs need to be run within their means – and that means what exactly…….

At what point are the glamorous clubs that aren’t run within their means going to be penalised.

I’m not going to let this drop ……………..

69. London says:

You are obviously a generous man Rasp but probably unsuprisingly I take the opposite view and that is that it is not Sol’s fault that the Portsmouth management ran their business so poorly.

Although, I think his chances of getting paid are slim.

70. Irish I just searched us using google and we are now 10th on the first page …………….

71. London says:

Perhaps, the yard stick as to when clubs are no longer run within their means is when they can no longer pay their players.

72. Rasputin says:

Wouldn’t it be ironic London, if Sol’s claim was the ‘final straw’ and they were put out of business resulting in us losing 6 points and for that reason we missed out on winning the league.

73. London says:

I certainly agree that it would be ironic but I can’t imagine that it will ever come to that. Right now, my guess would be that the Portsmouth management/lawyers have offered Sol something like 50k and said if you don’t take this you might end up with nothing.

74. Oh good back to the 6 points – am I the only one that thinks this grossly unfair?????

I think the other premiership clubs should offer to chip in as a loan for the tax bill – its about 11 million and the revenue want £6m now thats £333,333 each. WTF?????????

75. irishgunner says:

I don’t think Pompey will be wound up. They won’t pull them for the EPL. Worst that’ll happen is that they’ll be deducted points and relegated – then it’ll be dealt with.

76. London says:

Only for the sake of those six points do I agree but we should string the whole thing out to make sure we defintely need them and if we don’t…..Portsmouth should be thrown to the wolves.

I can’t imagine that I am going to get anyone’s vote on here to become MP of pensions. Lol

77. London says:

I agree with Irish

Right now, Portsmouth are crying poverty to negotiate a deal with the Revenue, once that is sorted out the would be buyers will appear.

78. So, shall I not start a campaign then 😉

I’ve just put a new link in the blog roll that I found when I was looking for info on Image Rights – its called footballeconomy.com.

There are lots of articles about Arsenal – obviously we’re very interesting to financial people.

79. irishgunner says:

I think you can leave the pickets for now Peaches 🙂

Arsenal are interesting to all people, even if they don’t admit it.

80. London says:

You mean there are other things in life hhhhmmmmm……fancy that 😉

81. irishgunner says:

What other things? 😯

82. irishgunner says:

I’m bored of tennis again, men dressing in frocks pretending to be women 😆

I like winter olympics now 😀 – its all just an attempt at a distraction but it doesn’t work…

83. You’d have thought not playing at the weekend would be a distraction but I find I’m clicking through old articles on Arsenal.com – sad I know. There must be a recipe I need to try out or something to do in the garden or even some washing to do…………

84. Rasputin says:

Are we going to put up the ‘financial post’ tomorrow peaches going on from the discussions today?

85. irishgunner says:

I watched old videos on youtube – some great goals on there

“Its only Ray Parlour”

86. irishgunner says:

I don’t like all the financial stuff in football even though its a given it comes with it.

I just want to watch the action on the field.

87. Ok well you may need to look away tomorrow then Irish – we’ll find some action for you 🙂

Yes rasp, we’ll go with the financial post tomorrow.

Might even flush kelsey out 😉

88. Rasp – how about we have a page of favourite videos – do you think it would slow everything down?

How much longer are you up for Irish?

89. irishgunner says:

Another short while Peaches – its 1am so have to go to bed soon.

I’ll read the financial stuff and all that but its the action we live for 8)

90. Rasputin says:

There was an absolutely brilliant home-made video diary of the pool game posted on LG yesterday or the day before, – really captured the magic of match day. I didn’t want to copy/paste it because it was the work of a fellow fan.

91. irishgunner says:

There is a guy on youtube that makes great compilation videos – he has done ones on Wenger, Fabregas and Arshavin but they keep get taken down over copyright but are well made.

Then there is Carpenter – he only really bothers with one player 🙂

92. Rasputin says:

Yeesssss …. Bolton 1 Totnum 0, what a fine upstanding footballer Davies is 😉

93. irishgunner says:

Bolton 1-0 up ha ha

94. irishgunner says:

Bedtime.

I look forward to some number crunching tomorrow 😐

Bye, bye.

(Bye Tomas 😉 )

95. London says:

That was a great call Rasp, all you guys and girls who don’t live in the UK watch this…..top drawer.

96. London says:

Well that is boring I have just seen that Wilshire isn’t even on the bench. Is there a technical reason?

97. Rasputin says:

That’s the one London, I forgot the name of the blogger who compiled it, but hat’s off to him …..

98. SUGA3 says:

London,

the reason is him being cup tied 😉

99. London says:

Rasp

I don’t think it was one of their bloggers, he found it on YouTube that is why I couldn’t see a problem in just putting it up there. But it is good as you say.

100. London says:

Suga

Cup tied, Doh

101. Rasputin says:

Of course London, I should have realised. I don’t think there could be a more appropriate piece of music to accompany the footage – it conjures the ‘Fever Pitch’ atmosphere, a mixture of angst, despair and joy.

102. London says:

Rasp

What was the tune, I have heard it before but I don’t know the name.

Having watched the Spuds today, if they get 4th spot and entry to the CL, it is a damning indictment of the state of the EPL.

They are rubbish. And boring rubbish

Come on Palace. If they can hold out for a draw it means MC, THFC & AV will have an extra game….

Though we of course have the CL 🙂

105. London says:

BR

Have a look at the Youtube clip above if you haven’t already seen it. A Night at the Emirates. worth the effort.

I have never felt smugness radiate from a blog more than in your comment:

Though we of course have the CL 🙂

The video is excellent, particularly the pre-match pictures.

I bought a pic of TA from the man selling framed pics and used to go to the Supporters Club for a pre-match drink before I discovered the Gunners.

107. Oh no we’ll have to call ourselves the Smugs 😉

108. I’ve made a new page called ‘FAVOURITE VIDEOS’ which everyone can access and I’ve put that one up first.

If you want to post a video up there for posterity go ahead. I don’t know if it’ll slow everything done – if it does we may have to close it but lets wait and see.

109. Raddy did you sort out the problem you had earlier with editing?

110. London says:

I’m looking forward to Chary’s post, it may have worked out better that it’s up tomorrow as my guess is that he blogs from work, hence the absence today, if so he will be around to discuss it.

111. Yes I agree London its better for Chary.

We have alfas post in storage aswell, his is about financial stuff so we were going to use it to follow on from todays chat. What do you think of that idea?

112. London says:

I hope my comment on Chary’s post came across in the right way: I was just trying to sound enthusiastic. I read his match report for Septic (I think that’s what it is called) as well as his guest post on Le Grove and was impressed with them both. I am genuinely looking forward to reading his post on AA.

Re Alfa: I don’t think it is my place to comment as to when his post should be used…..he is very quite today, he has probably taken his wife somewhere romantic, which I suppose is another useful reason for not having a game on such a day as today.

113. London says:

I have just read it for the third time….we are going to need tin helmets when that comes out.

Night, night.

114. Which post London – Charys or Alfas?

I asked a very knowledgable music buff what the music was in the ‘Night at the Emirates’ and this was his response…….

It’s Clair de Lune by Debussy. As Victor Borge used to say ‘Clair de Lune. English translation: clear the saloon.’ Apparently it was used in The Usual Suspects and in Oceans 11. Debussy was, of course, a PSG supporter

Sorted thanks Peaches – with your help.

You are wrong about Debussy. He supported Brighton & Hove Albion, he was a season ticket holder.

116. Raddy – was the solution to you not being able to edit the one I suggested?

Yes Thanks. But it has happened again today !!

118. Oh thats strange, except its happened to me too and I’ve had to log-in this morning – maybe tomorrow it will be ok again.

119. Rasputin says:

Morning all,

Alfa’s ‘controversial post’ is going up at about 9:30

120. Rasputin says:

Actually, new post up now.

121. […] Bolsheviks Murder Russian Royal Family So That Arsenal Can Win The Champions League. It’s FA Cup weekend and no doubt there will be a few Arsenal supporters who would prefer to be jumping in the car and […] […]

122. Antonia says:

At a salon, you’ll get a full manicure treatment including cuticle removal and nail shaping, plus the shellac nail polish. shellac nails look as good, if not all of the Shellac. Today I had a glitter top coat on line and at beauty supply shops. Since shellac came out in 2010, nail polishes for DIY manicures are much more available. You can clearly see this on my middle finger on the pictures below. Highlights This deal is for shellac nails with Nail Gems.