Excited about tomorrow? I mean really excited? You know – butterflies, dreams, stomach-clenching anticipation?
I can’t speak for you but I feel none of the above. Looking forward to it? Certainly. Aquiver? No.
We are about to play a Wembley Final against a wonderful team and potential Champions. Surely this is enough to get the blood coursing?
Why am I not exhilarated?
Could be any of the following or most probably a blend of all:-
- It’s not a proper Cup. Can you name who won it two seasons ago? I think MU won it last year. Apparently Spurs won it 10 years ago and even they don’t mention it as sliverware. On the other hand, it would look fine in the trophy cabinet.
- The continual change of name. This year it is the Carabao (ridiculous). It was the League Cup when it meant something. Littlewoods, Milk, Carling , Rumbelows, Coca Cola, Capital One, Worthington etc etc. takes some of the shine off.
- Wembley has lost it’s sparkle. Started with the FAC semi-finals being played there. Now it is The Miscreants home ground. The great stadium has sold it’s soul.
- The PL clubs play their reserves until the semi-finals which gives an indication as to how highly even Stoke value it.
- This is The Big One for me. The final is too early in the season. Finals are for sunny, warm days not a ball-shrivelling February Sunday afternoon. It is not May.
Come kick-off time BR will have his loins girded (writing the PM will help), be totally involved and I guess, so will you.
written by BR