Pick your squad to face Villareal – Part I – GK

Our Villareal game is definitely the most important game of the season so far…If we quality, we would get the chance to play against Man Utd in the final of the Europa League and earn 1) A major European Trophy ; 2) A spot in next year’s Champions League.

In the recents posts, comments have been raging on whether we should keep Leno as our Nr.1 or whether Ryan’s few but confident outings have given him a real shot at starting against Villareal.

We all know that Leno is very good on his line but he is rash in the air and is not great with his feet. There is always an error in him too and he still does not seem like he is commanding his defense. Ryan also has an error in him but he seems more confident in the air and better at deciding when to play short or long but he is not as good on his line…

In any case, we do not have a great GK in our squad for sure…

As according to you,

and why?

24 Responses to Pick your squad to face Villareal – Part I – GK

1. LBG says:

Ryan
    Because we need a complete change of team, tactics, emphasis and spirit for Thursday.

2. LBG says:

The suggestion that Granit at left back shouting “Go Gabi”, hold Gabi” was the explanation for Martinelli’s performance is the biggest pile of s*** 🌰, since the World thought Moaninho would win trophies for Totteringham!

3. Win says:

Leno
    Holding,MAR,Bellerin,Tieney.
    Xhaka,Partey,.odegard
    Martinelli,Aubemeyang,.SAKA

6. fred1266 says:

Who are those 28 people who voted for Leno we need to have a word

Great idea for a series of posts RC.

I’ve gone for Ryan. He’s a bit of an unknown quantity because the sample size of his performances for us is very small, but the defenders seem to be more comfortable with him behind them.

Also I love that he CATCHES the ball wherever possible, unlike Leno who seems to want to punch when it would be easier to catch.

8. RC78 says:

For all you that are putting your line-up already, please hold your horses 🙂 This post is only about GK, tomorrow defenders and wednesday we will have two posts – morning midfielders and afternoon we will have forwards…

Thursday we will have the pre-match and the results of the polls.

I am not sure if I d trust Ryan over Leno yet…Leno did well to keep us in the tie…I think the game will be decided by our full-backs and and wingers…We know how Emery sets his teams up and we know that if we get our wingers to cut inside, we will have a chance to overload their CBs…so ultimately, our GK just have to not make any mistakes and we have a decent chance…We could end up being knocked out due to away goals…I can see us win 3-2 on Thursday

9. Okey says:

Leno is not comfortable and he does not catch ball on air.

10. fred1266 says:

Yea this one so difficult cause we don’t know which keeper would turn up cause Ryan first game for us we did lose

11. LBG says:

Those jumping the gun(ners)…….Bellerin at centre back!!!!!😯 Are you Bellerin’s parents?

GB,

You have probably gone for a lie-down, but just in case – and as RC has cut our chat – I have copy/pasted my response to you and your stats!! 😁
    GB,

— I do see what you are trying to explain — and as a fan you see meanings in things that are important to you.

The following might sound a little snidey, but you will know me better than to think that I mean it in that way — I am referring to “confirmation bias” — and rather than using my convoluted definition, I am using the standard definition gleaned from Google – have a look. 😜

Confirmation bias: Is the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one’s existing beliefs.

This biased approach to decision making/analysis is largely unintentional and often results in ignoring inconsistent information that does not fit the bias.

But as I said, you are a fan and being a supporter your interpretation of stats and your needs are part of the job!! 😛

(Just don’t get a job as a financial risk analyst) 😳

13. fred1266 says:

Bellerin will make a great CB though LBG

RC,

I have voted for Martinez !!

Leno’s confidence has taken a blow recently, and finds it impossible to catch the ball — altho on the continent, punching the ball out of defence is thought of highly.

Matt is a newsboy for us, altho at 29 y.o. he is experienced — just seems to like walking up to the halfway line to play at being a CB.

15. LBG says:

Fred
    Now I know the whole Martinez business has scrambled you brains!!

I have changed my mind!

We need some more youthful representation at GK, following the success we have had elsewhere in the team, so, I think Runaroundson should not be ignored, and Arthur Okonkwo is a tall and very promising GK.

Soooo — my vote will go to Arthur — so change the choices, please, RC;

1.Okonkwo — Vote for Arthur

2.Runaround

3.Martinez

17. Happy says:

Leno
    Bellerin, Holding, Mari Xhaka
    Partey, Smith Rowe, Odegaard, Saka, Pepe, Aubemeyang

18. fred1266 says:

Yes LBG really hurt when emi left, actually wish we could buy him back

19. LBG says:

Fred
    My comment was linked to your comment about Hector!!!!!😁

20. AaronD says:

Ryan, for sure. Leno is too prone to major gaffes. The handball outside of the 18 was the most outlandish mistake I’ve seen from a keeper. Add the lapses in concentration that let easy balls in (ex Everton).

21. Mr. Isaac says:

As for me, the line up for Vilareal should be:
    Leno
    Bellerin,Mari, Gabriel, Saka
    Xhaka &Partey
    Pepe, Odegard, Martinell
    Aubameyang

Subs: Elneny, Willian & Cedric

22. Mustapha Abdulmalik says:

Lenon
    Suares holding Pablo terney
    Xakha marten partey
    Pepe auba gabreal

23. RC78 says:

So it is quite tight between Leno and Ryan on the poll…53% for Ryan so far…Let us see what happens by the end of this evening…

24. RC78 says:

So Ryan wins…New Post on Defense!