Who Should Lead the Line Against Everton?

Earlier in the week after, Lacazette’s injury, I brought Aubameyang into the starting line-up of my fantasy side, then I heard the news he is still out.

I began wondering who will be leading the Arsenal lines in tonight’s game. The first name that came to mind was Eddie Nketiah.

After my comments on Sunday you know am not the biggest Eddie supporter but this is the perfect opportunity for him to show us fans what he is made of.

Personally I think he will flop. The fact we recalled him from a loan spell at Leeds where he was not able to get a consistent starting berth shows me he lacks the clinical touch.

Personally I would like to see Balogun leading the line, but against a strong Everton defence that might be too much too soon for the young striker. Another option could be Martinelli, whom I wouldn’t mind leading the line.

So who do you think should be the starting striker against Everton?

Fred

110 Responses to Who Should Lead the Line Against Everton?

Thanks Fred

You have hit on the big, big question for tonight.

I am pretty sure Eddie will get the nod. He scored in the last game (against Fulham) and has been the clear next choice central striking option after Laca and Auba all season.

And who knows, maybe this moment for Eddie will be like the chance Smith Rowe got against Chelsea earlier in the season, when he played brilliantly and immediately secured a place for himself in the starting options.

However, this game could also be a great chance for Balogun to get some solid minutes, perhaps half an hour or so.

2. allezkev says:

Nketiah, give him the gig and if it isn’t working change it after 60/65 minutes, next Thursday is the main event for me.

3. Christopher Loum says:

Starting Nketiah upfront is not a bad idea, however balogun should come in too in the second half for at least 30minutes while on the left attacking wing Martineli.

4. I THINK MARTINILE SHOULD CHOOSE AHEAD OF NKETIAH

5. LBG says:

Good Morning Fred
    ..and you are the answer to my own question from yesterday, ” is anybody there?”
    Course it should be Eddie, Eddie, Eddie ( oh! that substitution seems such a long time ago). Give him his chance, hopefully with 60 mins of Martin BOdeegard to provide a goal or two. I think Eddie will leave in the Summer, so give him a platform to show off his wares.
    The pundits are split between those that believe our players will be troubled by this week’s travesty of understanding, and those like Mark Lawrenson who think we might win, even though we are “flaky”. So, since Lawrenson never thinks we will win, its 2-1 or 3-1 for me. COYG show us you care! #KroenkeOut

6. Rich says:

Start Balogun. I think he’s more potenitial to link play with ESR, Saka and Pepe and no less chance of scoring than Nketiah or Matinelli. It’s no coincidence that we’ve been scoring more since we’ve combined Laca up front with ESR and/or Odegaard behind and Saka/Pepe wide. Laca looks a much better player in this system, but Nketiah doesn’t link so well and, for all his potential, Marinelli will prefer to run in behind if played centrally. Similarly, Auba has struggled since Arteta introduced a 4-2-3-1 formation (I know he was out-of-form before too, but more recently looks lost in the system) – he doesn’t link like Laca. So, I think we should take a chance on Balogun or we’ll never know if can be our long-term no.9 solution in a system that otherwise suits the talent we have and how Arteta wants us to play.

7. fred1266 says:

Predicted lineup

Leno

Chambers Holding Mari Xhaka

Saka ESR Pepe

Eddie

8. LBG says:

Fattie Moss, so we haven’t a chance!

Here’s a question: with Thursday in mind, should we consider resting Saka and ESR?

10. LBG says:

Rocky
    No! Both are rusty through injury. Sub if struggling and bring on Balogun and Azeez!

11. allezkev says:

Alternatively have Saka and Smudge Rowe on the bench and bring them on against a tiring Everton to keep them ticking over?

12. Aaron says:

What Rich said.
    Want Azeez to get some minutes too.

Play more kids, No more El Neny, Xhaka, and Dani.

Rocky,

I did not know we had a Japanese lad called ESR (European Super Reague?)

14. RC78 says:

I think that we could also see the following trio start:

Saka – Martinelli – Pepe

That said, I have an inkling that Arteta will play Willian and Nketiah so I am expecting to see:

Leno – Chambers, Holding, Gabriel, Cedric – Xhaka, El Neny – Saka, Ceba , Willian – Nketiah

15. LBG says:

Remaining 14 will not work with current Executive representatives of 6 Clubs. They are demanding they are replaced. More than one way to clear out the sludge. Vinai in trouble.

16. LBG says:

Only except Dani in there if he stays forward and doesnt wander.

17. fred1266 says:

18. LBG says:

In fact, would even prefer Cedric in left back position and Xhaka with Partey.

19. fred1266 says:

11 out of 11 no bolagun of Azeez on bench

20. LBG says:

accept….disgraceful!

21. LBG says:

Depending on injuries – BOdegaard, Nelson, and Martinelli should get a run out.

22. LBG says:

Willian going to MLS, going to become an agent…..but not until he’s taken the full amount ( the piss out of us) from his best contract he’s ever had!

23. Sue says:

Well done to every one of you there 👏👏

Fred.. Well done 11 out of 11 – impressive!!

Great opportunity for Nketiah to prove doubters like me that we are wrong. Go Eddie, show us what you can do.

11 out of 11, I’ve never got that, shakes head and walks away jealously.

Thanks Fred …. Eddie, Eddie, Eddie …. he’s the type of player who doesn’t see much of the ball but is in the right place at the right time to tuck the ball away. Let it be so this evening.

Pepe needs to take on their FB, he’s being too safe in his play.

28. fred1266 says:

Sorry Lb he is just going to prove us right, I even pick him in fantasy side so I do want him to do great, to much pressure on him I feel

Come on Stan …. sell up …

30. LBG says:

A game tailor made for BOdegaard. That splitting pass from the 8/10 position.
    Agree Pepe, please take him on to the byline. Martinelli (or Nelson) will. If he doesnt keep the momentum going, almost not worth passing to him.
    Dont agree with Souness. Happy with much of that half, except goals.

Pepe needs to come off … let’s not leave it to 75 minutes this time

… he’ll probably score now I’ve said that 😅

He’s playing a lot better now we’re getting the ball to him more quickly

34. LBG says:

An absolutely rigged VAR decision. The ball had not left his foot when they drew the lines.

35. LBG says:

And Smith makes an Everton player MOM. Sums it up.

I’m done with Leno … he’s cost us 9 points this season.

37. LBG says:

And fat boy Moss more than happy!!

38. fred1266 says:

Hope everyone at the club feel like ASSES FOR letting emi go

39. fred1266 says:

Hope everyone at the club feel like ASSES FOR letting emi go

What a bunch of retards

40. RC78 says:

It was a big mistake to let Emi go…

41. Sue says:

A dreadful week on and off the pitch

42. Aaron says:

What I expected. However, Mari and Holding look good together, simple really.
    Eddie got NO service, so even if Auba started he was not going to score.
    Needed Martinelli on the left or Balo in the center, at least give them a run out.
    All in next week or it will be brutal next year if fans are back at half capacity or more.

Mikel better get his players heads screwed on straight, and coach them to block out all of the ksE out crap going on in the background.

AFC showing the world what a horribly run organization looks like.

Play the hungriest version of your squad and keep the back 4 together for goodness sakes.

43. fred1266 says:

Dreadful week u kidding right u mean dreadful year

44. LBG says:

And so it continues…..and gets worse…..punishment. And not for Vinai and the Kroenkes, for us, the suffering.
    Last night was the first time for a long time that I thought of the crowd. What would have happened if that baying mob outside, and myself, had taken up our rightful places in a sixty thousand capacity? I think there would have been chaos, (and I would have had the predicted heart attack at an Arsenal football match that I have always suspected would be my end!)
    What with those VAR decisions and fattie Moss wobbling around like a pantomime dame – ” oh yes you are an overweight twat with a whistle”. Bernd Leno looking like he was caught again in the floodlights of terror – ooops, I think I got that wrong again, come back Martinez, all is forgiven! (Commentators, like Sunday, setting everything up for a team who has not won at the HOF since prehistoric times – I know if I was there, at least I wouldn’t have had to listen to that twat Smith….the only consolation I suppose!)
    If I had been there, and hadn’t had my heart attack, I think I would still be there, chanting ” we want our Arsenal back” and suspecting that it will be a long time before that would be happening.
    Sorry to all AAers for my diatribe, I couldnt sleep, my weekend is spoiled and it isn’t even Sunday, and short of being able to delight in throttling a Kroenke, or a Moss or a Leno, my only release was to put this one on you all.

45. LBG says:

PS
    I think if there had been capacity crowds in all season and everything had gone as it has, we may well have been relegated and Xhaka’s tantrum of yesteryear would have paled into nothing. Happy weekend AAers.

LBG that is actually quite a reasonable rant.

Needless to say there is very much the atmosphere around PL games that we are to an extent putting out a strong side but perhaps conserving ourselves for EL.

No doubt if we start fielding too many non established first teamers there will be cries from other league teams whose results our opponent on any given day affect.

I feel for Nketiah he is certainly a good finisher, but he needs to add hold up play to his game it is not enough at a side with the ambitions we allegedly have to be a fox in the box only. He will suit a Newcastle or similar who work to create one or two goal scoring opportunities for a good finisher.

That said I only watched the second half and of course that moment. Oh dear oh dear Mr Leno. I said a few weeks ago that he had become a bit flighty wanting to be pulling off agile saves and not footwork. He could get some big lessons from Seaman. Every movement in the build up to that goal and following the strike were geared to make big flamboyant movements.

He was virtually standing upright as Richarlison approached the bye line almost jumping to be set for a big dive. And then as he got closer he set his feet but his hands were wide apart. And then the resultant path of the ball should have been goalkeeping 101 , hands to belly down scoop up the ball with hands behind it making a big barrier and possibly a knee for good measure. Instead Leno made some huge movement towards his foot and the ball with both hands his knees didn’t bend still setting himself for the dive. It was in short worse than schoolboy stuff.

I didn’t see the game – first one I’ve missed all season.

Sounds like I was lucky.

48. LBG says:

GiE
    Thanks for your patience! Do you really believe we are “saving ourselves for the EL”?
    I was happy with the team to start last night,( given injuries! How we miss Tierney!) excepting Dani as I said, and, of course, IMO he then had a good game. ( one paper had him as MOM). I would have had Balogun and Azeez (what do we have to lose) on the bench and used at least one instead of Willian!!
    Important decision pending re your expertise. I would not play Leno on Thursday and give Mat the role instead. What do you think?
    In my PE teacher role, I was lucky enough to work with two boys who got signed as professional goalkeepers in the 80s. One played for Chelsea and the other Crystal Palace. I cant take real credit for their coaching of course, anymore than any PE teacher can, but what I can say was they were both big, loud bruisers who believed in their abilities, and, in their position, I believed it was one of the reasons they “made it”. ( Just to update, not for very long!! First team debuts were last games for First teams). But just illustrating a point I DONT BELIEVE LENO REALLY BELIEVES IN HIMSELF.
    Rocky,
    You missed some good dynamic Arsenal play. Further evidence that Nketiah does not get the service he requires, more VAR nonsense, more Moss wobbling, and no luck or goals for our team.

49. fred1266 says:

Another good game for willock as a sub today, definitely deserve to be starting along side partey next season

50. fred1266 says:

Another shit call from VAR robbing Newcastle of a goal

51. fred1266 says:

Willock scores the equaliser

52. fred1266 says:

Last 4 games 3 goals of the bench 2 equaliser and 1 winning goal

4 goals in total

53. Sue says:

Thank god he won’t be able to play against us Sunday week, Fred 🤣🤣

Sue
    I thought the rules had changed and loanees were now allowed to play against their own club (I might well be wrong).

If so it would serve us right if Willock had a blinder.

Fred,

I’m with you!

in the first teamWillock has plenty of skill and deserves to have a ‘proper’ run in the first team.

Like the other young players he should be given leeway to make an occasional mistake because everyone has the same learning process, and should not be dropped for the slightest mistake.

56. Sue says:

If that’s the case, Rocky – brace incoming (after we score one for them, of course!!) 🤪

‘Allo,, I is called Pierre,

No, I’m not — I’ve been watching England v Francoise, and rooting for the Anglaise, in the 6 Nations Rugby.

Les Anglaise are just ahead at the moment, but the French lasses are very physical, and the English ladettes are currently under the hammer. (Were you watching RC?)

A really gutsy performance, by both sides, which contrasts with the football crap last night.

OK, — call me a curmudgeon,
    — call me a plinky plonker,
    — or call me Susan;

but we were poor — I know, I know, some of you love that crap, and will rationalise the performance, but so many of our team seem to be thinking about their Summer holidays, they moved like sloths and even our best players seemed away with the fairies.

Hated it !! 🙃

Sorry, but I am very unhappy with Mikel — 13 losses — even Moanhio would not have survived that — except with a team with such a loan expectation.

OK, unfortunately, there is an error above — “loan” should be “low”.

59. Sue says:

Howdi, plinky plonker 😜

The ESL, followed by last night – as you say our 13th defeat – 7th at home, we’ve failed to score in eight Premier League games at the Emirates Stadium this season, twice as many as in the previous four campaigns combined. Blanks!!
    Thursday to come, which I’m dreading!!
    It’s all too much for me right now, I’m crestfallen 😫

Hi Sue,

I am sorry to learn you are crestfallen — my crest has fallen too — I like Mikel — but ……… he is sailing close to the wind, unfortunately.

Oh well, let’s get Thurs done — one way or the other.

61. fred1266 says:

So true sue he surely would be scoring

62. fred1266 says:

Other leagues a loanee can play against parent club not England but wouldn’t be surprised if dey change the rules tomorrow just to spite us

63. fred1266 says:

I wonder all the as holes who wanted Wenger out wonder what day thinking now,

I’m just watching Fabianski putting on a great show for West Ham … we’ve let some good keepers go in recent years. Szczeny has proved to be a good keeper.

65. LBG says:

Fred
    Even more important was the loss of David Dein.

66. […] Who Should Lead the Line Against Everton? […]

67. fred1266 says:

I agree about fabianski but not wojo cause he a much easier league , shame fabianski didn’t get the nood over wojo for us seems our managers always get the keeper situation wrong

68. fred1266 says:

Why did he leave LBG, unfortunately I didn’t know to much about him cause that was more in my earlier days of supporting arsenal

69. fred1266 says:

was just watching a stat and apparently 9 of the top 11 sides has a better away record than home so seems it not only us suffer at hom

70. LBG says:

Fred
    You are such a youngster!
    Dein brought Wenger to Arsenal from the Japanese League. He was the strong steady hand behind everything the Club did. Held in high regard by World Football.
    As far as his departure is concerned, there is a degree of darkness surrounding it. Dein had recommended an alternative new takeover company, owned by a Russian, to the Board instead of the Kroenkes. He put his total backing behind this alternative and the Board rejected it and “scolded” him. Dein resigned from the Board and sold his shares, and Arsenal havent been the same since. A simple explanation with probably many covert complications.
    Since I havent read it yet, I’m not sure if Wenger’s recent biography is any more enlightening. This ends the Arsenal lesson for the day, which could well be expanded upon by other AAers.

71. LBG says:

Santi expects “two matches with lots of emotion” from his two ex Clubs. ” and for the team with the best defensive line to win.”

”…and for the team with the best defensive line to win.”

Oh dear.

LBG,

That is a good précis of the Arsenal share sales in 2008 by David Dein to Mr Usmanov – (Red and White Holdings),

At the time, I read the comments on the Arsenal blogs, and also what was gleaned from newspaper snippets, so the following is only based on those alleged views.

If we go back to 2007, Chairman Hill Wood decided to sell his shares to Dein, for a somewhat minuscule £290K, and Dein spotting the main chance then sold them for £75m. WOW.

Dein also had sold shares to Fizman, who in turn eventually sold those shares to Kronke.

Dein had Arsenal’s interests at heart, but he does not seem to have put any of the profit he made back into the club.

In the meantime, Sky had, separately, bought 10% of Arsenal shares and had been told they must sell them because of a conflict of interest — and they sold those shares to Kronke’s company.

Chairman Hill Wood, allegedly, told Kronke that the Arsenal Board did not want the likes of him anywhere near Arsenal. He was subsequently proved wrong.

Various Board shareholders sold their shares — to Kronke — making Hill Wood’s comment irrelevant.

While the above is interesting, but confusing, Usmanov’s company kept acquiring any shares that became available from other sources, until he sold them.

I do not know whether these details are accurate, as they are only based on allegations I read about — but to a fan it reflects the view, expressed by many, because of the ESL debacle, that football is not about the fans, but is all about greed by the owners.

74. JM says:

From the Guardian,

“The Observer view on the collapse of the Super League.”
    As long as fans want owners with deep pockets, football will never be a level playing field.

Quote: “Among the myths that have been exposed by the Super League debacle is that such excessively wealthy individuals love free and fair competition; rather, billionaires never see a market that they don’t want to manipulate. By trying to de-risk their investments the owners were only doing what comes naturally. “

75. LBG says:

RA
    I would ratify all your details as remembered by me, but you do realise Fred now wishes he hadn’t asked.😉

76. JM says:

From The International Business Times,

“Commercial Logic Remains For New European League: ‘Soccernomics’ Author.”

Quote:
    “”Soccernomics” economist Stefan Szymanski says the “pent-up demand” underpinning the concept of a European Super League will not disappear, despite the launch in Britain of a wholesale review into the running of English football.”

“Szymanski believes that some ideas informing the British review — such as the German model of fan ownership at clubs — are a legal and business minefield, and that mandating fan representation on club boards is a more likely route in future.”

“”(Prime Minister) Boris Johnson is an unmitigated populist, so he’s going to go with whatever he thinks is going to buy him popularity. And it just might be that instituting something like that (the German model) might be a good idea,” he said.

But any talk of driving out the mostly foreign tycoons who run England’s top six clubs risks capital flight, and longer-term consequences for which politicians are ill-prepared, according to Szymanski.

“If I was advising Johnson, one thing I’d say is ‘You know what? You buy yourself a lot of short-term popularity by using the law to mandate the German system, but also remember, the next time something goes wrong, it’s all on you’.

“Because you have taken over football, you’ve said that you’re in charge, so if there’s any problem in the future, people are going to look for you to sort it out.””

“Szymanski said the business case for a revamped European competition is strong, given the continent’s biggest clubs are already global brands but are struggling to recover from the pandemic and recoup a greater share of broadcast revenues.”

77. allezkev says:

Billionaires have benefitted Chelsea and Man City with their subsidies but I’m not sure that I can see that anywhere else in the Premier League, the Glaziers have done the opposite by loading debt onto Man Utd, so I’m not sure that fans want owners with deep pockets we just want owners who can run the club sensibly and show an interest.

78. LBG says:

Allezkev
    Do yo think billionaires have benefited the heart and soul of our National game ( what ever they may have “won for” Chelski and Manshitty?)
    The same applies to agents!
    I would happily go back to sitting in the pub with footballers who knew where they came from and who were the real “owners”of the game.

LBG, @10:38

You are probably right re: Fred, and I wish I had never tried to add to your clear précis. 😜

I would love Chas the Admin Guy, GN5, Micky Wot Done It, Big Raddy, and Terry Transplant to return and tell us what they think of all the greedy shenanigans, because we all had very emotive and negative messages that touched on the current malaise, because none of us wanted a billionaire owner to foist funding on Arsenal, and to breach the FFP rules by pouring a £billion or so into transfers, and get a slap on the wrist for doing so.

I distinctly remember all of them saying that if our owners rammed money into the club to gain an advantage, they would seriously contemplate suspending their support of the Gunners, until common sense returned.

Hear, Hear.

Hi, Kev,

I think your comment @ re wanting owners to just run the club sensibly is pretty much what our erstwhile friends of yesterday were saying, all those years ago.

There was a high price to pay when Kroenke seems to have agreed and did not invest too much into Arsenal, and we had to watch (and listen) to all the praise Manure, Man City, Chavs and Pool got for using ridiculous funding to win trophies — poor old Arsene had a rod to the back for accepting the sum of transfer funds would equal other clubs once the Emirates were paid for. (as if).

That does not change my mind that he should have accepted an offer from Real or Barca and moved on, or retired 5 years earlier than he actually did.

81. LBG says:

RA
    Unfortunately I think all the “greedy shenanigans” put past commentators off a long time ago.
    One comment from Duck to me recently which I hope he wont mind me sharing, ” it’s all a massive f****** joke, and the joke is on us”, I think sums up much of our thoughts about much of the last few years.

82. fred1266 says:

Thanks for the knowledge LBG, all I knew about dein was that he brought he arsene, wonder how things would have been if we had accepted the Russian bid hmm

83. fred1266 says:

And of course VAR doesn’t give a hand ball against United

LBG,

Thanks for telling me that, altho, the Duck made that pretty clear when he wanted to make his frustrations clear.

(The Chas I knew usually played his cards close to his chest — but the fact he and Ant went to every game possible, and chatted to all of us from the train, to our delight – labelled them as old fashioned, genuine Gooners who brooked no nonsense!)

Role models. 👍

85. Sue says:

Come on City!! KDB is back 👍 Hoping for a Foden masterclass!!

86. LBG says:

Another referee being totally duped by players on the pitch who happen to be Manshitty and Totteringham players.
    My money is on one penalty at least and one sending off.

87. LBG says:

RA
    Certainly role models.

88. Aaron says:

Good to see emery’s side being down to 10 for 25 minutes it will do their legs good.

Question is does Ryan get the nod?

89. LBG says:

Yes please, Aaron.

90. allezkev says:

LBG before Abramovich arrived our football was fine, TV was still pouring in a lot of finance so everyone was doing ok – and transfers, agents fees were fairly affordable.

So if they all left tomorrow I think that our game would do just fine.

91. allezkev says:

Hi Red, I’m an old fashioned boy, I used to moan about the Board back in the day but on reflection things were simpler back then.
    All this talk about money is just boring, winning trophies does it for me.

92. Sue says:

93. Aaron says:

Enjoy that spurs spurs it, even though $h*tTy are looking up towards reaL.
    Hate that scummy oilers bought another one.
    Lesser of two evils, possibly.

Enough about them, AFC needs to get it’s act together and give a effort as a team.

94. LBG says:

Since season 2018-19, Leno has made eight errors leading to goals. You need a break Bernd….on Thursday.

LBG
    That’s across almost three seasons.

How does it compare with other keepers?

96. LBG says:

One less than De Gea, one more than Allison.

97. LBG says:

Sorry Rocky
    Level with De Gea, one more than Allison. Read it wrong first time.

98. LBG says:

Haven’t seen any analysis of “how significant” those errors were. Dont think the Dippers would swop Allison and who would want to be a Manure player anyway!

99. LBG says:

Everton, West Ham, Olympiakos and Burnley are listed as four this season.

Kev, @ 5:38 pm

‘Old fashioned’ is another way of saying you are sensible! 😉

As regards having a passing moan about something, on occasion, that too is normal, we all do that because we are passionate about football and our club and want the best for both.

If only the club owners would listen to me, all the time – and you occasionally – 😜 – there would be happiness all the time – except when I get things wrong, all the time – but that’s just a technicality. 😛

101. LBG says:

Of course it doesnt help having the tortoise Xhaka, and his mate Ceballos in front of you, let alone a manager who insists on starting from the back too often.
    Feel bad, but Thursday is important….or perhaps it’s not! Are we going to win the final? Is the Champions League important? Are cricket and rugby better sports to follow, or at least less heartbreaking? What is the meaning of life?

LBG/Rocky,

Leno is not a useless GK, but when he makes mistakes, like the own goal on Friday, he just looks useless.

Most of us are happy to admit we are subjective about players, and GKs, and from my perspective, there is something about Leno that does not fill me with confidence.

Making a mistake (error) when a club is winning 5 : 0 so that they ‘only’ win 5 : 1 is forgivable, – making the mistake and causing the team to lose, is not.

On the other hand, he is terrific at shot stopping, and has saved us on many occasions.

He implying at a time when Arsenal are still struggling – hopefully as we get better as a team, he will make us feel more comfortable about his overall ability.

103. LBG says:

RA
    “Old fashioned”, “sensible”……..”wrong!!”..never!
    Morning Sir. How is life on the other side of the zpond?

LBG, @ 8:05 am,

Ain’t life a bitch !! 🙄

105. LBG says:

That blasted z is too close to CAPS on a phone if you have uncontrollable fingers.

LBG,

Life is a little difficult at the mo’ — and that has nothing to do with me actually being in the UK as we speak.

Answer to my own question earlier — yes, life can be a bitch sometimes.

107. LBG says:

Fred would have loved Wrighty on MOTD. Martinez is a “big lump”.

New Post

109. LBG says:

Leno is the first gk on record ( well, since 2003) to produce an own goal and a foul in the same Premier League match. Okay, I’ll leave him alone now!